Sunday Brunch and Favours

When she was mine

                                                                                          ♡ @ADORABLISS ♡ … | Travel photography, Instagram, Adventure

 

As the couple cruises down the strip towards Park Manor, Hana's eyes gravitates towards the passenger seat where her fiancee sat comfortably, staring out of the window. The sides of Hana's mouth quirks up to form a perfect toothy grin, something she couldn't help but do these last couple of months since Jungeun became her fiancee. Now, that they've officially graduated and moved along with life, Hana realizes just how much has happened. From getting her heart broken to finding out that she was the heiress to a large fortune to getting engaged to Jungeun

Hana doesn't know when the butterflies in her stomach started whenever Jungeun was around neither does she know when she started to like Jungeun more than a friend. It was all so vague but she's aware of her feelings now more than ever. Hana could see Jungeun fidgeting and biting her lips from the corner of her eyes - she was nervous.

"If you keep biting your lips, you're going to make them bleed, Jungie." 

Jungeun stops her actions and turns to look at Hana. "I can't help it. This is the first time I'm meeting your family after dinner between both families the last time." 

"It's going to be fine, Jungie. My family aren't that scary, plus, they love you. It's hard not to."

Jungeun's eyes widen at Hana's sudden confession and reminds herself that friends express their love for each other so, there is nothing to it. Right? As they round the corner into a more secluded area, Hana takes a right turn and stops in front of the gates. Hana presses the button on a small remote as the gates whirs open, allowing Hana to drive through. Jungeun marvels at the sight of Park Manor which was probably two or three times larger than her own estate. Well-groomed trees lines the road to the main house, large grassy plains with a lake in the middle of it and from afar, Jungeun could spot the main house that resembled a grecian palace. 

The car comes to a stop in front of the main house's entrance. Hana opens the car door and slides out while, an attendant helps Jungeun out of her side of the car. Hana walks over to Jungeun, chuckling at her reaction as she places her hand on Jungeun's back and naturally leads her into the house. As they step into the foyer, Hana's grandmother materializes from the hallway and greets them. 

"Hana!" She then turns to Jungeun, smiling maternally as she open her arms and hugs Jungeun. "Welcome to our humble home, Jungeun! It's our pleasure to have you join us. I've been bugging Hana to bring you over more." 

"She's been busy, grandma" Hana chimes in but seals her lips when her grandmother shoots her a pointed look. 

"Well, it's a little awkward to be standing here. You must be hungry. Come!" Hana's grandmother says as she brings Jungeun down the same way she came while Hana trails behind them leisurely.

"I've just added some more flowers to my garden and they should be ready for viewing in the next month so, you can have Hana bring you over or you can just pop in whenever. I'm always glad to have new company" Hana's grandmother tells Jungeun who smiles in response. 

They finally arrive at the shaded outdoor dining area as Jungeun spots the other members of the Park Household already seated. Jungeun greets them respectfully with a bow as they welcome her warmly. Hana’s grandmother has Jungeun sit beside her while, Hana takes her seat beside Jungeun. Jungeun finally sees the table full of brunch foods that matches her taste - all sweet. 

"Jungeun, please don't be shy and eat more. When I heard you were coming, I had Hana tell me all your favourite foods. I hope they taste alright" Hana's grandmother says. 

"Thank you" Jungeun says in return. 

 Sunday brunch begins. It was to no one's surprise that Hana, her mother and grandfather would talk business. Her younger sister, Chaewon concentrates on eating. Once she notices Jungeun's stares, she sends a small smile before looking back down at her plate. Jungeun resists the urge to squeal at how adorable the younger blonde was.

"Okay, that's enough business talks. Can we refrain from that during Sunday brunch?" Hana's grandmother questions, narrowing her eyes on the three suspects. 

They meekly agrees, shifting their attention to a different topic. Hana scoops more food onto Jungeun's plate as Jungeun shoots Hana a thankful expression. 

"So, Jungeun-" Jungeun perks up at her name and sees that Jihyo, Hana’s mother was the one talking, "So, tell me more about Hana and you. I don't think I've ever heard about how old you were when you met or how you became friends."

"Well, I don't actually remember when we started getting closer but we've known each other since middle school. We actually met fighting over a piece of bread" Jungeun could hear Hana chuckle beside her, "We both grabbed the last chocolate bread and we wouldn't let it go but it was taken by our other friend instead so we both lost that day." 

The story made the whole table erupt into laughter.

"Jungeun saved me" Hana pipes up from the side, "I was a bullied kid but thanks to Jungeun and the others, they left me alone. She's been with me since okaa-san got sick."  

Jungeun turns to Hana with glossy eyes as Hana merely smiles. No words were exchanged because they understood each other too well to need them. 

"Thank you, Jungeun." 

The two break apart as Lip turns back to see Jihyo staring at her with a sad smile. 

"No need to thank me, Mrs Park. I was doing what I should have done as a friend." 

Jihyo nods, her smile widening. "Of course and please call me mom. Mrs Park is too formal for family." 

"Yes, mom" Jungeun says as the whole family smiles happily. 

Brunch ends as Hana's grandmother tells Jungeun to join them for tea. Hana's grandfather and mother had business to attend to and won't be joining them for tea. They bid Jungeun farewell and tells her to come over often and treat Park Manor like a second home. Chaewon on the other hand made plans to hangout with her new university friends so, she wasn't able to join. She waves goodbye to Jungeun and was out of the door. 

"Well, I guess it's just us then" Hana's grandmother says as they walk into the tea room.

The maids move quick, arranging the fine china tea cups in front of them and pouring piping hot tea into them. An array of sweet treats laid in a perfect line at the centre of the table. 

Hana's grandmother picks up her cup of tea and says, "Now, that there are less ears around, tell me more about you and Hana." She then proceeds to sipping the tea. 

Hana whines, "Grandma, please don't interrogate my fiancée!"

"Hush, child. I need you to ran an errand for me. There is a royal blue jewelry box in the drawer of my makeup table. I need you to be a doll and make the trip to my room and grab it for me." 

Hana sighs. "Fine, I'll go but please do not burden Jungeun with any questions." Her grandmother shoos her off with a wave of a hand. 

Once Hana was gone, Hana's grandmother places her cup back onto the saucer, lowering it back onto the table. "I am well aware that Hana used to date another girl. A member of the Jeon." 

Jungeun doesn't miss the dislike in elder's tone but she was more surprised by Hana's grandmother's knowledge of Hana's ex. 

"I may have only gotten my granddaughter back a few months ago but I have been aware of her existence for a while now. It was natural to want to get to know her. That's where I found a lot about her relationship with the Jeon girl. It may seem like an invasion of privacy. Sue me! But I was worried about my granddaughter's wellbeing. I know all about their breakup and how that girl broke my precious granddaughter's heart." The elder's face grows colder by the minute. "The Jeons were never good people anyways but you, my dear, you're different. I hope you can be a good lover to Hana." 

Jungeun blushes at the word 'lover', wondering if she and Hana could be one. 

"Though Hana doesn't address it but I can see that the amount of love and respect that she has for you is different" Hana's grandmother adds. 

Jungeun smiles bashfully, "I'll do my best to make sure Hana doesn't get hurt, halmeonim." 

Whether it was for show or real, their engagement and their interactions were definitely not fake and Jungeun decides she wasn't going to question them anymore. She had hope that maybe, just maybe, Hana and her could truly be together as a real couple, if they weren't already one. 

Hana's grandmother beams at Jungeun, "I knew I liked you from the moment I saw you." 

Jungeun giggles happily just as Hana makes an entrance, the royal blue jewelry box in hand. Hana narrows her eyes, shifting from Jungeun to her grandmother. She walks over to Jungeun, taking a seat beside her as she slides the box across the table to her grandmother. 

"You didn't burden her with anything, right, grammy?" 

Hana's grandmother dismisses her with a wave, "Now, why would I do that? We were just talking about your funny stories, that's all." Hana's grandmother looks to Jungeun with a knowing look as Jungeun nods, "Your grandma isn't lying, Hana." 

"But I don't have any weird stories" Hana says, quirking her brow towards Jungeun. 

Jungeun snorts and retorts with, "That's what you think. I've got plenty!" 

Hana blinks in surprise as she realizes that Jungeun has known her for more than a decade and was present for all her stupid moments. Hana's grandmother interrupts them with the clearing of as their attention was drawn towards her. 

"So, since you are going to be part of the family, Jungeun. I thought it was appropriate for you to have this," Hana's grandmother opens the box, revealing a a sapphire ring. "It's the family ring. It has been passed down for three generations and now, you will be the fourth." 

Jungeun gapes as she stares at the ring. "I can't - I can't accept this. It's far too precious." 

"Nonsense. As the future lady of this house and the Park Household, you deserve to have this ring. Hana-" The said girl perks up, "-Don't just sit there like a fool! Put it onto her finger." 

Hana nods, taking the ring out of the box and holding out one hand to Jungeun, "May I?" 

Jungeun reluctantly places her right hand above Hana's as Hana slips the ring onto Jungeun's finger. The ring fits perfectly as both Hana and Jungeun marvel at the piece of antique now resting snugly on Jungeun's finger. 

"Perfect!" Hana's grandmother cheers, clapping her hands excitedly. 

"Thank you for this precious gift, halmeonim" Jungeun says, expressing her gratitude. 

"You're welcomed, Jungeun." 

The engaged couple and Hana's grandmother chats more as stories of Hana's embarassing past resurfaces. Laughs fill the whole house as time passes by quickly. Hana realizes that it's close to two o'clock in the afternoon. They were meeting Sooyoung and Jiwoo for their double date at two-thirty. 

"I'm afraid we'll have to cut this short, grandma. Jungie and I have made a prior engagement to get to" Hana cuts in. 

"I see. Well, I supposed I've kept you here long enough" Hana's grandmother says, "Please come back to visit me again, Jungeun." 

Jungeun grins, "I will! The next time I come back, I'll tell you a lot more of Hana's embarassing stories!" 

Hana groans, "Jungie, please spare me!" 

"I'll be waiting, Jungeun!" Hana's grandmother chimes in. 

Despite fearing Jungeun's retelling of her embarassing past, Hana was glad that Jungeun was comfortable with her family. Hana and Jungeun bids the elder goodbye with her grandmother pulling Jungeun into another tight hug before letting them go. The engaged couple then hops back into the car and goes to meet their friends for the promised double date. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

On their way to the designated venue, Jungeun focuses upon the ring on her finger, the way it shines under the sun. Just this morning, she was freaking out about having Sunday brunch with Hana's family and the occasion she least expected to happen, Hana's grandmother gifting her with the Park family's heirloom. Hana looks over and sees Jungeun staring at the family ring intently.

"You know" Hana starts, "-the ring will wear out if you continue to stare it like that." 

Jungeun finally breaks her staring competition with the ring, leaning her head back against the headrest."It just feels weird, receiving such an important piece of jewelry. I don't think I deserve it at all, Hana." 

Hana purses her lips, turning her head to the side once they stop at the red light. "Jungie. My grandmother may seem like a very nice woman but she's no saint. She's a very incredible and powerful individual and she rarely makes the wrong judgement on a person's character.  If she thinks you deserve it, Jungie, trust me, no one will dare contradict that. Plus, I think it looks beautiful on you." 

The corners of Jungeun's mouth quirks up into a beautiful smile. Jungeun's smile was contagious as it spreads to Hana who continues driving as the light turns green. They finally arrived in front of The Promenade Hotel as the parking attendant opens the door for both Hana and Jungeun. The couple link their arms together and makes their way to the top floor where Granada, Seoul's most famous restaurant was. Hana and Jungeun walk through the entryway and is greeted by the manager of the restaurant. 

"Welcome to Granada! Miss Ha and Miss Kim is already waiting for you inside. Please come this way!" He then leads Hana and Jungeun as they spot Jiwoo and Sooyoung sitting at a table by the window. 

Jiwoo jumps up from her seat, buzzing with excitement as she pulls Hana and Jungeun into a tight hug. Sooyoung leaves her seat elegantly and joins in on the group hug. They finally break apart from the hug as they take their respective seats around the table. It didn't take long for Jiwoo to notice the ring on Jungeun's finger, gasping loudly as she grabs Jungeun's hand. 

"WHAT. IS. THIS?? OMG!!!"  Jiwoo squeals.

Jungeun shushes Jiwoo, "Jiwoo! Keep it down! You're drawing too much attention!!" 

"Oh, don't be dramatic! It's the reason why I had the whole restaurant booked till the evening. Now, tell me where you got this from? Did Hana give it to you?" Jiwoo questions. 

"Well, Hana's grandmother gave it to me when I visited them this morning for Sunday brunch. It's one of the family heirlooms" Jungeun replies shyly. 

"Ohhh, so, the two of you are really getting serious" Jiwoo teases as Jungeun goes red, flustered by Jiwoo's implication while Hana merely laughs in amusement. 

While Jiwoo and Jungeun goes into the further detailing of the morning, Hana and Sooyoung falls into their own conversation. 

"It's been a while, hasn't it, Hana. How has heiress work been going for you?" Sooyoung asks. 

"Tiring but I'm learning the trade. How about you? I heard you were elected Managing Director of Ha Group." 

"Yeah. Meetings all day, paperwork signing, visiting our subsidiaries. It's all coming together, I supposed. When you disappeared for a whole month, you got all of us worried as hell, hoe! Imagine our surprise when you returned as an heiress." 

"Trust me, Soo, I was just as surprised as you were but they found me first, offered me a home, a family. Resisting was hard."  

"I'm happy you've found your family, Hana. We all are." 

"But I won't forget my first family. You, Jiwoo, Haseul and Vivi" Hana then looks toward Jungeun, "Jungeun." 

Sooyoung chuckles, "I'm honoured to be included into this small family. So, am I the dad?" 

Hana grimaces, looking at Sooyoung with disgust. "Ew! Please never say that again. Whatever kinks you have, I don't want to hear it."

Sooyoung guffaws as Hana joins in, garnering attention from their respective partners who exchanged glances with each other, shaking their heads. Their individual conversations finally stops as Jiwoo is ready to order. They settle upon the traditional British tea tradition, something the restaurant specializes in. 

After a pleasant tea time, Jiwoo and Jungeun excuses themselves to the restroom leaving Hana and Sooyoung alone.

"I'll be honest with you. I never imagined that you and Jungeun would end up together. Neither of us did" Sooyoung says. 

"Jungeun and I. We are complicated" Hana answers vaguely. 

Sooyoung doesn't question Hana's answer despite her curiosity. 

"Soo" Hana calls as the brunette raises a brow when she hears her name, "I may need a favour from you." 

"What is it?" 

"I need you to secretly buy Jeon Industries shares." (Hana had acquired information from Joohyuk that to fund her project, Madam Jeon had sold a part of her shares) 

"Jeon? As in Jeon Heejin's family? Sooyoung exclaims in shock. 

Hana nods, "But it's not for the reason that you're thinking about. Jeon Heejin's mother will kneel in front of my mother's grave and apologize. To make her beg for forgiveness."

Sooyoung could feel the anger underlying beneath Hana's words. "What is really going on, Hana?" 

Hana purses her lips, steely eyes as she says, "Long story. The short version - Jeon Heejin's mother caused my mother's sickness to relapse and then, left her for dead. I have evidence." 

Sooyoung is at a lost of words, unable to find the right words to say except, "I'll help. I'll have someone purchase the shares under an alias." 

"Thank you, Soo. It means a lot to me" Hana says gratefully. 

"Family doesn't thank each other. I would have done it anyways" Sooyoung replies. 

Jungeun and Jiwoo returns from the restroom and is confused by the sudden heavy atmosphere. They hesitantly take their respective seats. 

"What were you talking about while we were gone?" Jiwoo asks, focusing her stares upon Sooyoung. 

Hana and Sooyoung exchange knowing glances as they say simultaneously, "Secret!" 

The pair of bestfriends narrow their eyes upon Hana and Sooyoung. 

"You weren't talking bad about us, right?" Jungeun questions as Jiwoo nods with a pout. 

Sooyoung chuckles, pinching Jiwoo's cheek, reassuring her, "Of course not, Wooming. It's nothing." 

Jungeun glances at Hana with her brow raised questioningly. Hana flashes Lip a comforting smile, taking Jungeun's hand into her own as she shakes her head, showing Jungeun that it was nothing. Jungeun huffs but doesn't say anything more. The quartet finally separates after Hana foots the bill, insisting that she wanted to. The two couples hug again as Jiwoo makes them promise to do this again.