Beginning of the Fall

When she was mine

Bursting through the doors into the office of the Jeon Industries CEO grabs her attention as she raises her brows at the disheveled and panting expression of her secretary, Yoon Min Sol. 

 

“You better have a good reason for barging in, Yoon Biso. Have you forgotten your manners?”  

 

Min sol straightens her back in the instant and folds her body to show a perfect 90 degree bow. The older lady waves her forward. 

 

“What seems to have you all flustered?” 

 

“Maam, early this morning, I received word that all our clubs and gambling dens have been raided by the police. They are shutting it down.” 

 

Madam Jeon slams her hands onto the table, shocking her secretary who flinches and bows her head in submission. 

 

“How is that possible!!” 

 

“I do not know either, Ma’am. It happened all of a sudden and no information has been released.” 

 

“We have a contact in the police force, don’t we? So, find out!” Madam Jeon yells. “Use your brains! I don’t pay you to make me think for you!”

 

“I have, Ma’am but the calls are going to voicemails,” Min Sol answers shakily. 

 

Madam Jeon screams, unbefitting of the elegant and poised character she makes herself out to be, scaring her poor secretary to the brink of cowering. 

 

“Money was supposed to come in within the month so my project could begin! How is it supposed to now that the clubs and dens are gone! How about the accounts? The money?” 

 

“I am sorry but earlier, the accountants from the clubs and dens informed me that all the accounts have been frozen and all the money in our warehouses has been seized. They’ve even found the paper companies that we made in Malaysia, Manila and Singapore and frozen those accounts as well.” 

 

The revelation causes Madam Jeon to lose her mind as she begins laughing like a maniac. 

 

“Impossible,” she mutters under her breath. “It is impossible!!!” 

 

She swipes her hands across her table, pushing everything in her wake off the table, watching the breakables shatter into pieces and papers scatter all over the floor. Her already shaking secretary is close to bolting out of the office in fear that she would be next. 

 

“Find out, do whatever you need to do to find out how the hell this happened!! I expect a report in the next hour!” Madam Jeon yells through gritted teeth. “Do not fail me or you can join the unemployment group. Out!” 

 

Min Sol scampers out hurriedly and goes to work in fear, not only for her job but for her life. Meanwhile, Madam Jeon stands in the wake of her handiwork and clenches her fist. All of her decades of hard work will not go to waste because of this. She has sacrificed so much in her life to get to this point. 

 

She will not let anything ruin it. 

 

Not on her watch. 

 

She needs to find Kim Jungeun. 

 

---

 

News of Madam Jeon’s clubs and dens being shut down has reached the ears of Hana. Hana smirks, wanting to see the look of Madam Jeon’s face now that she has successfully cut a piece of her limb off. Thanks to her grandfather’s help and connections to the police. 


 

~Flashback~


 

Knock.

 

Knock.

 

Knock. 

 

“Enter.” 

 

Hana walks through the doors into her grandfather’s office, brown envelope in hand as she recalls the first time she stepped through into the traditional styled space, feeling fearful of the fate that was going to befold upon her; one that lead her to be the youngest to ever hold the 3rd highest post in a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. She was a greenie back then, only finding out about her true bloodline and that she had a family. Those memories feel like a lifetime ago when it’s only been a few months since it happened. 

 

So much has changed, so much has happened; it almost feels like a dream. 

 

She cuts her internal thoughts short when she spots her grandfather sitting in his armchair; reading the morning newspaper with a cup of piping hot four flower tea specially made by her grandmother placed idly in front of him. He lowers the morning paper and looks over the papers to find Hana standing at the back of the two-seater cream sofa.

 

“Good morning, Hana, come sit,” he invites as she bows politely and rounds the sofa, taking the seat closest to her grandfather and places the envelope on the empty space beside her. 

 

Park Chan Yeol folds his paper in half neatly and lays it by his tea cup. 

 

“So, what brings you here so early? Shouldn’t you be preparing for work?” 

 

Hana smiles mysteriously which intrigues the old man who narrows his eyes inquisitively. 

 

“I need your help, grandpa.” 

 

The old man leans forward to pick up the tea cup, sipping it and humming at the familiar warm taste. 

 

“You don’t even have to ask, young one. I told you whatever you needed, whatever you wanted, I would give you without hesitation,” Chan Yeol declares with a small smile. “So, tell me, what do you desire?” 

 

“I am aware that you have connections to the police, do you not?” 

 

“I do. But what would you need the police for?” he asks with concern leaking from his tone, wondering if his grandchild has done something terrible to warrant the police’s help. Even if she did, he would do anything to correct it, hide it and to protect her. 

 

Hana collects the brown envelope beside her and holds it out to her grandfather. Her grandfather takes it skeptically after returning the cup back to the saucer. He opens the envelope and pulls out a transparent file which had details of multiple accounts, paper companies and illegal money laundering. His eyes widen in surprise as he flips through them; there were familiar names in here. 

 

“Where did you get all these?” he asks. 

 

“I had help,” Hana answers vaguely. “I need your connections to the police to shut the establishments down and freeze the accounts. Inside, you will also find locations of money warehouses. I need those seized and placed within police custody as well. Is it possible, grandpa?” 

 

Chan Yeol glances up to his granddaughter with slight admiration. He closes the file and lays it above the newspaper. 

 

“Consider it done.” 

 

A smile breaks out from Hana’s face as she says, “Thank you, grandpa.” 

 

“Of course. I made you a promise and I plan on keeping it,” Chan Yeol says. 

 

Hana checks the time on her watch; seeing that it is time for her to leave for work, she excuses herself. She leaves behind the document with her grandfather and bids him a good day before walking out of the home office. 


 

~End~


 

Standing by the floor to ceiling windows of her office, Hana peers up to the clear blue skies, smiling contently. Her grandfather kept his promise to help her and the police worked fast. The sun beam streams through her window and Hana imagines the sun is her mother, blessing her from the skies. 

 

"I always wish you were here with me, mother." She chuckles without any humor behind it, "Then again, you would disapprove of what I am doing or what I've become, but I have no other choice. Not when I can destroy the woman who stole you away from me. I promise that after she's gone, I'll come visit your grave and I'll bring Jungeun with me. I miss you, mother, more than ever." 

 

Her tranquility is interrupted by the sound of Joohyuk’s dress shoes clacking against the marble floors which draws her attention away from the pretty blue skies. 

 

“Pardon my interruption, Jeonmunim, the police commissioner is here to see you.” 

 

She whirls around, clad in a black Dior pantsuit and a matching pair of Dior pumps; she looks every bit of the heiress Joohyuk envisions her to be. 

 

“Invite him in and have some tea brought in, Nam Biso.” 

 

Joohyuk bows and walks over to open the door as the police commissioner waltzes through the door. He greets her with a small bow while Hana returns with a bow of her own. 

 

“Welcome to Park Group, Mr Commissioner,” she says, holding out her hand for him to shake. 

 

A firm handshake later, Hana invites him to sit as Joohyuk arrives at the most opportuned timing with a tray of freshly brewed tea. After pouring the tea, Joohyuk retreats backwards to stand behind Hana. The commissioner appears confused at Joohyuk’s presence as Hana takes note of the commissioner’s attention towards Joohyuk. 

 

“My secretary does not leave my side, Mr Commissioner. I hope you understand that his presence is needed and please be at ease to speak freely. I assure you that nothing you say will leave this room.” 

 

He nods. 

 

"When the Chairman called me, I must admit I was surprised, even more so when he sent me a file of incriminating evidence and told me he needed me to shut it down." 

 

Hana smiles politely. 

 

"I assumed he mentioned that it was my request."

 

"Indeed, he did and as requested, we have shut down the establishments. All accounts have been frozen and the money seized. But I am assuming you already know."

 

Hana chuckles lightly and says, "Sharp, Mr Commissioner. Yes, little birds have brought the matter to my attention. Well done, I must say. The police work efficiently."

 

"The Chairman has also made me issue an order to cut contact with Jeon Industries. Is there any particular reason for that?"

 

Hana's smile drops a little as her eyes flicker up to find the Commissioner's who seem to shrink under her gaze. 

 

"Some things are meant to be done without question, Mr Commissioner, I'm afraid I cannot provide you the answer you seek. Perhaps a visit to my grandfather would answer your curiosity."

 

The police commissioner pales at Hana's suggestion, shaking his head immediately, spouting, "No, no, that is quite alright." He pretends to look at the time on his watch and continues by saying, "Would you look at the time? I have some important matters to attend to. It was a pleasure to meet you, Miss Hana."

 

He stands up, picking up the police cap from the table and does a small bow. Hana maintains her polite smile and hops up from her armchair.

 

"Thank you for taking the time to inform me about the operation yourself. It is my pleasure as well, Mr Commissioner. Please do come visit Park Manor when you are free, my family would be happy to host you."

 

He nods and walks out hurriedly as Hana gestures for Joohyuk to show him out with a tilt of her head. He does not say anything and moves to lead the older male out of the room. 

 

"Oh and Mr Commissioner," They halt in their steps when they hear Hana speak, whipping around to catch the ominous smile Hana wears; her dark tone contradicting the smile on her face. "Just a small piece of advice. Playing both sides is like playing with fire; you'll get burned. So, I trust you will be wise with your decision on which side to stand with." 

 

He does not respond, giving her a tight lipped smile and speeds out of the door with Joohyuk hot on his trail. Once he is out of sight, her smile drops. 

 

All these old snakes, Hana thinks. Always prepared to side with whoever they could benefit from. But it does not matter, because she will win and So Insuk will kneel in front of her mother's grave and beg for mercy. She will make sure of it. 

 

Now that phase one is done, time for phase two of her plan. She wonders what Jungeun is doing; the sides of her lips lifting automatically to form a lovestruck smile at the thought of her fiancee. Her feelings for Jungeun grow stronger each day and she finds it hard to be apart but she knows Jungeun is busy. So, she makes an effort not to bother her fiancee. 

 

But now, she has an excuse to go visit Jungeun. She skips over to her desk and swipes her phone up from the wooden surface with Joohyuk entering just in time. 

 

"Oh, Nam Biso! We're heading over to find Jungeun. I want to deliver the good news to her in person. Can you have the car prepared for me?"

 

Joohyuk moves on his feet swiftly, pulling out his phone to call the driver to be on standby as the two make their way down to the lobby. Hana vibrates with excitement, happy by the idea of seeing Jungeun, unable to wipe the goofy grin off her face. 

 

As they step out of the elevator, Hana saunters into the lobby, greeting all the staff with a simple nod and exits the building. She slides into the back seat of the Mercedes, hearing the door close as soon as she's in while Joohyuk finds his place at the front passenger seat. 

 

Inside the car, Hana decides to send Jungeun a text. 

 

H: Eunnie! Are you busy? :(

 

J: A little. What's wrong?

 

H: I'm going to visit you to deliver some good news :)

 

J: Good news? Now you have me curious

 

J:  I'll have someone bring you up later 

 

H: Ogayy! See you later, my little gangster ;)

 

J: Shushh! I'll see you later, byee

 

Hana's smile widens till her eyes are no longer visible. She drops her phone onto the seat beside her, the rectangular device falls haphazardly with a pok noise. Hana knows its not long until the ruin of Madam Jeon and to have Jungeun working with her has brought her nothing but excitement. She has already realised that her feelings for Jungeun has surpassed just being friends. She smiles, silently thinking of how to confess the right way after all of this is done. She hopes Jungeun feels the same and won't reject her feelings.

 

She sighs dreamily with her head in Jungeun clouds, oops, just soft, fluffy clouds. 

 

-----

 

Hana walks into the lobby with Joohyuk tailing her closely from behind, garnering attention as she always does when she goes anywhere. The staff of Kim Industries greeting her as she mirrors their actions. She spots Jungeun's secretary, Royoon who makes his way towards them, bowing politely. 

 

"Miss Kim is waiting for you in her office upstairs. Please come this way," he says, holding an arm out to direct them towards the elevators. 

 

A small walk and wait later, they are on the executive floor where Jungeun's office is located. Royoon knocks and opens the door after receiving permission as Hana is quick to spot her fiancee behind the large desk. With her reading specks on, a serious expression as she stares into the monitor, Jungeun has yet to notice Hana.

 

Thread by @jinns0ul, loona members with glasses (a thread) heejin hyunjin  haseul yeojin vivi kim [...]

 

Before Royoon could inform Jungeun, Hana holds onto Royoon's shoulder, placing an index to her lips. He is quick to understand, retreating back as Hana walks cautiously to stand by her fiancee's side. 

 

She bends forward, levelled to Jungeun's face, her lips lined by Jungeun's ear: 

 

"What has got you so distracted, love?" 

 

Jungeun yelps, jumping in her seat as she whips her head around to find Hana roaring in laughter. Jungeun's reaction to her was so adorable that Hana couldn't help her laugh. She wipes the tear that slips from her eyes from how hard she was laughing to find an angry Jungeun, but no matter how angry Jungeun looked, to Hana, all she could find is a cute looking Moomin meme. 

 

"You could have just called me like a normal person. Why do you always have to be so weird?" Jungeun mutters angrily. 

 

Hana smirks, leaning her backside against the edge of the table and says, "And where's the fun in being normal when I could special?" 

 

Jungeun clears and looks away to avoid Hana seeing her flushed face. What in Lord's name has Hana been ingesting? Does she not know how bad she is on Jungeun's health? 

 

"Weren't you here to tell me some good news? Let's go over there to talk," Jungeun points to the couch set up as Hana follows Jungeun's finger and turns her head back to nod, pushing off the table to plop herself on the red leather couch. 

 

Jungeun follows behind half a beat, taking a seat beside Hana habitually as their secretaries return with refreshments. 

 

"Have a seat, Royoon, Joohyuk." 

 

The secretaries do as they are told and sit opposite them. 

 

Hana leans forward to pick up a white chocolate madeleine and breaks it in half for Jungeun. Jungeun takes it and begins munching as Hana begins speaking. 

 

"The police worked efficiently after my grandfather made the call and today, I received news that all of So Insuk's money sources were cut off. We have chopped off 4 of the 8 legs that she has, more importantly, the funding to her project will have to be obtained somewhere else. Somewhere she doesn't have," Hana declares. 

 

Jungeun finishes her half of the madeleine and replies, "She will be eager to sign the contract with me now more than ever. I am the closest thing she has to receiving a penny until she can find a way to get back her money sources." 

 

"Which with confidence I can assure you she will never get," Hana says with confidence as she hands Lip more sweet treats. 

 

"Why do you say that?" Jungeun questions with full of chocolate cake. Hana smiles, pulling a ply of tissue to dab the crumbs from the side of Jungeun's mouth, "Because I had the police siphon the money from the frozen accounts into an offshore account and the money from the dens and warehouses transferred into private storage so she'll never be able to find it.  Once this thing is over, there will be an anonymous donation to charities worldwide." 

 

Jungeun is impressed by the details of Hana's planning and she couldn't help but stare at Hana. 

 

How was she supposed to not fall?

 

It was almost impossible for Jungeun who has been in love with Hana since they were teens. Sometimes Jungeun fears Hana; she will not lie, the Hana she knows now is different. It could be the significant change in status or the revenge plans but Hana is different now and Jungeun can tell. But deep down, Jungeun knows Hana still has the old her - caring, observant and who would risk everything for the person she cares about. It's why Jungeun wants to help Hana with her revenge, not only because she loves Hana but because, Hana's mother was a mother figure to her as well. 

 

While Jungeun is stuck admiring Hana, Hana wonders why Jungeun is staring at her so intensely. She tilts her head to the side and asks, "Jungeun? Are you still with me?" 

 

Jungeun returns to Earth and nods immediately, "Yup! Still present!" 

 

Hana laughs and says, "Okay, if you say so. Now that I have your attention back, I want to discuss our next course of action if you are up for it." 

 

Jungeun places the cake back onto the table, and turns back to Hana, "What is next on the list?" 

 

"Soon, I anticipate So Insuk will come knocking on your doors asking to speak to you about the contract. She will want the money as soon as possible, of course, twisting the contract to at least benefit her a little but you will be denying her the chance to even look at you."

 

"As in pulling the investment prospect out of Jeon Industries?" 

 

Hana nods, "Correct. Make her beg you because I will make it so her desperation to see you amplfies. She will..." 

 

The sound of the landline ringing cuts Hana's words as Royoon is quick on his feet, moving to pick up the phone. 

 

"Director Kim's office," Royoon then aims the phone away from his mouth and calls out to Jungeun, "Miss Kim, it appears the CEO of Jeon Industries is requesting to meet you. She is in the lobby." 

 

Hana and Jungeun exchange looks of surprise. Hana lets out a laugh of disbelief and utters, "I knew I made her desperate but not this desperate enough to come today itself, but it's good. Eunnie, you ready?" 

 

Jungeun nods and turns to Royoon, "Let her know that I am not available today." 

 

Royoon nods, and relays the message into the phone, "It seems she is demanding to meet you today, Miss Kim. She says she will not leave before meeting you." 

 

"She's persistent, I'll give her props for that." 

 

"Let her know she may leave for the day because I won't be available for the next few days." 

 

Royoon relays the message and he comes back to them, "It seems she's making a scene, Miss Kim. She won't leave and demands for you to meet her this instant." 

 

----

 

Meanwhile in the lobby of Kim Industries, Madam Jeon is fuming. She arrives to Kim Industries and asks to meet Kim Jungeun at the reception table, something she doesn't do because anywhere she went, she was allowed straight up. The receptionist made her wait, which increased her frustrations but she couldn't make a scene. 

 

"Unfortunately, Miss Kim is not available to see you today. Please make an appointment with the secretary office and come back another day, Ma'am." 

 

Madam Jeon dropped her jaw in disbelief. Did that brat just reject to meet her? Someone who should be humbled that she came personally to meet her? 

 

"I demand to see your Director today and if she doesn't make time, I will stay here till she does." 

 

Her patience is wearing thin by the minute and soon she will explode. As if the incident from this morning wasn't bad enough and that idiot of a Min Sol still hasn't found a method to solve it. One of these days, she's going to get rid of that incompetent idiot but right now, she can't afford to dispose of a perfectly good pawn. She taps her feet against the marbled floors, growing impatient as the receptionist finally gets back to her. 

 

"Unfortunately, Miss Kim will not be available today or in the next few days. Her schedule is packed and she will not receive anyone." 

 

This impudent brat!! 

 

"Do you know who I am?! I am So Insuk, the CEO of Jeon Industries! I do not come to meet just anyone and she dares to reject me! She should be honoured that I came and come greet me in person. How dare she! I will speak to her today, you let her know!" Madam Jeon raises her voice, unable to hold in her anger any longer. 

 

----

 

Back in Jungeun's office, Hana's eyes narrow with annoyance from the audacity of the woman. Jungeun turns to Hana who merely snickers and shakes her head. 

 

"Have security her off the grounds, Royoon. See to it personally," Jungeun orders. "Let her know that until I am ready to meet her, she will not come for me first. Also, the investment opportunity will be retracted for the disrespect she has shown me and towards Kim Industries." 

 

Royoon then bows and goes off with his phone in hand to dial security.

 

"Joohyuk, go with Royoon. I want to know everything."

 

Joohyuk is off the couch and tails behind Royoon. Once Royoon and Joohyuk is out of the door, Jungeun sighs deeply. She feels a hand on her head, rubbing her hair gently. She closes her eyes and allows her to enjoy the comfort Hana is providing her. 

 

"You did well today, Eunnie. I am proud of you."

 

"I couldn't have done it if not for you. Thanks for being here." 

 

"No. Thank you for being beside me. For helping me. For agreeing to my plans." 

 

Jungeun opens her eyes and turns to Hana, "I'll always be beside you, Park Hana. In the past, present and future, if you'll have me, I will stay." 

 

Hana leans forward, her hand sliding down from Jungeun's head down to her nape and gently guides Jungeun closer to her. When Hana is inches away from Jungeun's lips, her eyes flicker up and she asks, "Can I kiss you?" 

 

"Yes." 

 

Hana bridges the distance and plants the softest peck on Jungeun's lips. She leans back in for another kiss, longer this time, feeling Jungeun move against her lips to reciprocate. Their eyes closing as they move at a steady rhythm, like a song made only for them. It wasn't desperate, wasn't heated; it was slow, perfect and they pour every ounce of words and feelings unsaid into the kiss.

 

Finding air a problem, Hana pulls away, panting slightly as she rests her forehead against Jungeun's, her eyes traces every square inch of Jungeun's face to the point of memorizing it. 

 

How could she have missed the crown jewel that had always been with her? Why was she searching the ocean for fish when the prized one was right by her side? She was blinded but not anymore, she is thinking and seeing clearer than ever. 

 

She only ever wants Kim Jungeun.

 

She only needs Kim Jungeun.

 

She loves Kim Jungeun. 

 

"I love you, Jungeun. So, stay. Stay with me forever," Hana confesses. 

 

Jungeun's tears roll down her cheeks as she opens her eyes, shimmering with tears.

 

"I love you too, Hana. I will not leave, even when the day comes when you don't love me anymore." 

 

Hana shushes Jungeun and says, "That won't happen. I will never allow you to leave me nor will I leave you. That is my oath to you." 

 

 

 

---------------------

 

 

Hello, it's your author, H! Thank you for subscribing to my story and reading it. I apologize for all the wait. I am trying my best to write as much as I can. I hope you can continue to be patient with me. Should be about 2 more chapters before the end and I do apologize for any errors in my writing. I do not proofread. Thank you once again for reading! Until next time!