Rejection

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
09 Rejection  

On behalf of Yujin, Chaewon throws her upper body back in surprise. “What the, you two know each other?” 

While Yujin seems equally lost and confused, Wonyoung patiently enlightens them in. “Maybe because I’ve gotten prettier that she can’t recognize me. But I know her well. Even if her back was facing me,” Wonyoung says proudly, keeping her arms enveloped, “she’s still got a boy’s back,” 

Upon hearing those words, Yujin springs up on her heels and sheepishly yelp, “Oh! You! You-you’re her! The Little Mermaid!” 

Chaewon dips her chin in puzzlement. She had known Ariel is Wonyoung’s favorite Disney Princess but can’t figure out how Yujin knew. Laws and Judges were all Wonyoung only ever talk about in her teenage and early adult years. Can it be that they’ve become acquainted before Wonyoung moved to the states? 

Satisfied, Wonyoung claps her hands together and shouts, “Bingo! I’m the Little Mermaid!” 

While Chaewon freezes and watches from the side, she sees Yujin grabs Wonyoung’s hands in hers then the duo pounces to celebrate their reunion. With a face of worry and disgust on her face, Chaewon silently intercepts and seizes Wonyoung away by the wrist. 

In the meantime, Yujin wonders what Chaewon is doing dragging someone much taller than her away. 

Once Chaewon is certain Yujin can’t hear them, she runs her hands down along the taller’s arms to have her undivided attention, “Wonyoungie, I thought you said only Aunty, Uncle, I and your friend knows about the Little Mermaid? How does she know?” 

Smiling, Wonyoung crouches down a little so Chaewon doesn’t have to bend her neck so much. “She’s that friend I told you about, Chaewonie. She was that girl. The only one other than family who didn’t laugh at me when I said my dream was to become a mermaid and Ariel’s friend,” 

Chaewon helplessly beams when Wonyoung’s warm smile and gentle words touch her heart. Albeit always having her nose in law and non-fiction books, Wonyoung is quite dreamy. 

From the corner of their eyes, they notice Yujin re-joining them with small, easy steps. Perhaps she’s wary of Chaewon suddenly pulling Wonyoung away, but the lass can’t tell when the taller interrupts them with a bright expression. 

“Hey, Little Mermaid, have you been to the sea lately? The weather is perfect for swimming,” 

The corner of Chaewon’s lips unknowingly curls up coldly. Was Yujin hitting on Wonyoung? After claiming she wanted a fair fight over Kim Minju? 

Wonyoung locks an arm around Chaewon’s arm and carefully says, “I haven’t. The weather is nice but my mood is becoming cold. You haven’t forgotten, right? What I said earlier about us all talking to our parents,” 

Blinking, Yujin’s eyes grow shifty. “Uh...sorry. Can you run it by me again?” Scratching the back of her neck, Yujin waits for Wonyoung to answer. However, when the tallest tries to, Yujin intentionally cuts her off, “Ah, nevermind I remember. There’s no need for me to question my parents. They’re not responsible for any mess and my mom’s got it right. I’m going to marry Kim Minju,” 

 

Chaewon pounds the dining table with a hard fist and startles Goeun. “That little punk! Ugh! How dare she do that to Wonyoungie!” 

Scanning the area, Goeun bows her head in embarrassment and apologizes to all the customers who look their direction. Then reaching over she gently smacks Chaewon on the forearm. “What’s wrong with you? Keep it down, we’re in public,” she hushes with an upset tone. 

Briefly, Chaewon remembers she’s supposed to be having and enjoying a dinner date with Goeun because her father had a late-night meeting with Director Chungha. And Chaewon can’t stomach food when she eats alone. 

Glancing around the bright and tiny restaurant, Chaewon leans forward with a silver spoon in and in a soft voice seeks Goeun’s forgiveness, “Sorry Goeun, my mind was elsewhere. How was work?” 

Upon seeing Goeun’s lips curl up, Chaewon knows the other is no longer embarrassed because of her. 

“The usual,” Goeun answers and slurps up some noodles from her white, porcelain bowl. 

Chaewon silently falls back. Goeun never talks about her work and it was always Chaewon who goes on and on about her work. Sometimes Chaewon feels bad doing all the talking even when Goeun assures her the other prefers listening. 

Chaewon is no professional but she’s positive that listeners, too, have problems of their own. And unless Goeun shares them with her, she can’t force the other no matter how frustrated she becomes. 

“Oh, there was one thing,” Goeun begins, gaining all ears from Chaewon, “apparently Dr. Kwon and Dr. Kim had a past and Dr. Kwon is willing to answer questions about Dr. Kim. Of course, they have to be done off the clock though,”

Kneading her forehead, an irritable sigh inevitably escapes Chaewon’s mouth, “Why do I have to hear about them? Goeun,” Chaewon drops her arm onto the table’s surface with a thud and sluggishly adds, “since I couldn’t tell you earlier, what I m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter