Patient From Folklore

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
01 Patient From Folklore  

Chaewon has breathed the air of many hospitals’ rooms but none quite like this one. Instead of the usual and anticipated sterile aroma, a pungent smell of lavender-scented the Radiologist’s office and does everything but relax her.

To loosen the knot in her stomach and tension in her shoulders, Chaewon busily tours the walls with her chestnut eyes while bouncing her right leg up and down.

She’s doing everything to avoid meeting the doctor’s eyes. Though the woman with long, wavy coal hair is more than eye-candy and hard to ignore.

As she observes the hygienic room, she counted one painting, two posters, a console glass table, and two shelves. Then there are the doctor’s desk and chair, computer, and a set of boring black chairs for the patient and their company.

Scanning past the colorful landscape painting, and posters on X-rays and CT scans, and “X-radiation 101”, Chaewon stops and stares at an item.

On one of the wooden shelves, mounted on the wall across from them, she sees the purple herbal candle behind the penetrating fragrance. Lifting her brows, she wonders why it’s the only article on the whole shelf. Swiftly she becomes bothered by it sitting not in the center, but on the far left of the plank.

As her lips part for a comment, the woman in a white coat unintentionally rob her of producing any noise, “Patient Kim Chaewon, what is your relationship with the nurse who just left?”

Under the table, Chaewon clasps her hands together and silently prays that the doctor doesn’t become more suspicious of her. If the physician finds out that the nurse is her best friend and what they have done, they’ll be reprimanded harshly.

Clearing her dry throat, the actress in Chaewon tries to play dumb, “...the nurse?”

“Na Goeun, the radiographer nurse who handed me your test results,”

“Oh,” although Chaewon and the doctor were the only ones in the room, she somehow finds it harder to talk to the woman.

Mainly worry that she’ll spoil today’s ‘mission’.

Base on the photo her manager presented last week to her, the Radiologist in front of her can potentially become her fiancee and lifelong partner in the near future. The Radiologist doesn’t know it but this is their first unofficial blind date. And Chaewon hopes to keep it that way before she decides if she wants to have anything to do with the lass.

“Why do you think we know each other?” Chaewon asks, wanting to hear more of the other’s attractive voice.

“Earlier you said you’ll see her later,”

Chaewon widens her eyes, realizing she has made a lethal mistake.

“Oh...Um...I, I mean I’ll see—”

“Forget it,”

Chaewon’s heart skips a beat and she watches the doctor flip the clipboard over, leaving it face down on the glass table.

“After one glimpse, I know who you are,”

Beads of sweat cover Chaewon’s temple and eyebrows as she gulps down hard. She’s exposed!

“I thought it was folklore, but the rumors seem to be true,”  

“Wh-what rumors?”

The woman leans all the way back in her chair, and Chaewon can tell she’s not happy but is doing everything in her power to remain professional.

“A stuntwoman who goes to the hospital nearly twice to three times a month to obtain a doctor’s note because she doesn’t like the actress she’s working with,”

A part of Chaewon is relieve that the woman appears clueless about their arranged marriage but the other side of her doesn’t like the doctor’s tone. The woman is finding fault in her without knowing the full story.

“That’s because—”

The doctor’s sluggish blink freezes Chaewon from explaining. The look of someone who can care less about what she has to say discourages her.

“Forget it. Regarding the results—the x-ray indicated a fracture of the knee but seeing how you’re bouncing on it, it mustn’t hurt. Right? The chart isn’t dated either. Fabricating and muddling with medical test results, documentation, and statistics is illegal and a crime. As this isn’t your first offense, can I assume you’ve bribed your doctor and the radiographer?”

Chaewon rolls her eyes. Sure the doctor is right but she’s not hurting anyone by faking her own health issues.

“I admit that I visit the hospital a lot and it’s illegal to an extent but who are affected by it? No money has been exchanged. You may be a doctor but you don’t know everything. Some of those actresses are snobbish and they look down on people like me—”

“I'll write you a doctor's note as per your request and although our patient’s information is confidential, I hope you won’t do this again. People believe that patients are supposed to trust their doctors but I don’t. It's us doctors that should earn our patients’ trust. But how is anyone going to trust me when I make them and their real problems wait while I waste time with someone completely healthy?”

Chaewon scoffs, “Real problems?”

“Compare to the diseases that may be growing in their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter