Chapter 12

Humans and Robots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What do you mean?" Moonbyul's expression hardened as Taeyeon bit the bottom of her lips nervously.

"You're saying that your parents are the one who started the war?" Jessica's brows were furrowed together in confusion.

"How is that possible?" Seulgi questioned in disbelief.

"B-But, we met your them?! And they were nice!" Joy asked, trying to comprehend.

"Taeyeon-unnie, is this a joke?" Yeri let out a burst of nervous laughter but stopped when she saw Taeyeon's blank face.

"You're saying that your parents are the one who misuses the power for evil?" Irene asked as she stared at Taeyeon who ran her hand through her hair before nodding.

"...I used to have a brother." Taeyeon started.

"WHAT?!" Sooyoung shouted in surprised which resulted in her getting smacked on the head by Sunny. Though comedic, no one dared to laugh.

Taeyeon took a deep breath before continuing, "My brother was older than me by 10 years. He was smart and wise beyond his age. When I was still young, he found out that our parents were misusing the power entrusted to them for evil. He then secretly build an organization, which is the SRM Assoc. in order to stop them. It took him years to build it and when the organization was ready, I was 8."

Taeyeon sat herself down on a seat, her hands clenching into a tight fist. "Unfortunately, my parents found out about his plan and after that, they were determined to kill him." 

"But how would they have the heart to kill their own children?" Yuri asked and Taeyeon couldn't help but laugh mirthlessly. "Because we're not. The parents you all met when we were younger, they are not my biological parents."

"My biological parents were scientists who were assigned on the task to further experiment on AI's and robots with my parents. My biological parents actually created the robots with the concept of both entities living in peace but my parents did not want that. They wanted the power for themselves. They then went different ways because of their different views." Taeyeon looked at the shock faces before continuing.

"My biological parents were worried that my current parents would be up to something hence they created the Chosen One system. I was the first Chosen One and I've been aware of since I was 5." 

"Did you went against them?" Joy asked. Taeyeon shook her head before explaining that she didn't know that her parents were evil. "My biological parents passed away because of a lab accident when I was 6. My parents being closed to them took us in as we did not have any other relatives. They were then placed in charge of the project that my biological parents were working on."

Tiffany gently intertwined their hands, trying to calm her. "When they found out that my brother was going against them, there wasn't any reason to keep him alive. My brother did not want to burden nor put me in a dangerous position as I was still young. I was 9. Before he left, he gave me a pendant and as a child, I was beyond happy to receive a gift from him but... that was the last time I ever saw him." Taeyeon willed herself to not cry.

"Whenever I asked my parents where was him, where was my brother but they would give reasons like he was studying abroad. Being a child, I trusted them but a part of me knew that it wasn't like that. A year later, my curiosity got the best of me. I took off the pendant and to my surprise, there was actually a hidden compartment." Taeyeon reached for the pendant that was hidden underneath her shirt before holding it in her hand.

"After I was sure that I was alone, I opened it and there was a map. The map led me to this base. Following the map, I ventured further in and it led me to the tech support with a video there, waiting for me to play it." Taeyeon placed her pendant aside before taking out her phone and connecting it to the screen. She paused for a while before typing the password and opened the file, playing it for them.

"Taeyeon. It's your oppa! If you're seeing this it means that I am no longer here. I'm sorry that it has to be this way but there's something I need to tell you. Our parents are planning something evil and I wanted to stop them but unfortunately, I wasn't able to. Remember about how mum and dad told you about being one of the Chosen Ones? Taeyeon-ah, you have to find the other Chosen Ones and stop them. I know it's hard but you have to do it, for the world and its future. I hope you remember Yunho-ahjusshi and Changmin-ahjusshi, they will be helping you throughout the process to the best capabilities." He gave a toothy grin before continuing with a serious expression.

"Taeyeon, don't look for me. You'll not be able to find me anymore. Please stay strong and fight for your loved ones. Remember that I always love you, Taeyeon-ah." The video ended and Taeyeon took a deep breath to stop her tears from falling.

"After that, I went back home to pack my stuff to run away from them. I came back to the base to meet with the Yunho-ahjusshi and Changmin-ahjusshi who helped me along the way with some others who were close friends of my biological parents. They told me that my brother looked for them and asked for their help. They helped me in managing the base as I was still young and learning." Taeyeon leaned back in her seat before continuing,

"They tried to look for me but after a week or less, they gave up and decided to focus on their researches. I then met Seohyun and Sunny when I was 11..."

"Yes, Taengoo was distant at first but eventually she started to open up to us." Sunny had a fond smile as she reminisce

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter