About Time

Our Jealous Love

Taking my hand back, I say "I want to get out of here."  

Yoongi stares at his hand where mine was and slowly looks up at me.  "You knew."

"What?"

"When the doctor mentioned it, you were not surprised."

"Oh.  Yes.  It hasn't really sunk in.  And the time was not right for telling."

"Why haven't you said anything?  Does your mom know?"

"No. I want to tell Tae first, but he was going abroad for a concert.  I didn't want to make him worried.  I'll tell him when he gets back."

"Is that why you came to see me?  Cause you knew you would have to stay with Tae for the baby."

"It's part of it yes."

"Why didn't you tell me then?"

"I told you. My husband should know first."

"You don't tell me anything Jinny. Why?" Yoongi had a hurt look on his face that made her sad.

"I don't want to get sad."

"But you have to deal with things in life.  You can't just ignore things and hope they go away."

"I know."

"No, I don't think you do.  Whatever your childhood trauma is you still haven't dealt with it properly. I don't even know what it is and I've lived with you, slept with you,  loved you.  It's not going away by itself.  Look what just happened to you because of your panic.  You might have hurt your child or yourself worse."

"Yoongi, don't be mad at me!"

"You hurt me too. You should have told me you didn't want to be with me sooner.  I still had hope that you would leave him."

"Don't look at me like that. I do want to be with you but I can't.  You know this."

"You let yourself get pregnant.  You had a choice." Yoongi scolds. 

"Yes, I'm bad, I'm dumb, and I'm confused. Why don't you leave me then?"  He can hear the anguish in her voice.

"I want to help you."

"How?"

"Start by telling me what happened to you?  It's about time you do."

After a long pause, she starts to speak. "Yoongi, it's been thirteen years, but the scars are still fresh.  The scars on my flesh only tell part of the story.  The worst scars are in my heart.  I am a Tsunami survivor.  We were on vacation when it happened. The three of us were trapped in a building as the water pounded on the walls till the windows broke followed by the walls themselves collapsing on top of us. It was so loud and terrifying. I'm petrified of floods and drowning.  I can't stand storms. I'm still haunted by the dead bodies I saw and the people screaming but the worst for me were the cries of my mother for my dad.  My dad died trying to protect us.  I don't see how talking to somebody about it is going to make me feel better. I just want to forget and not be afraid anymore."

"Oh Jinny that's so sad but I'm glad you told me.  I feel even closer to you."

"Thanks for being there for me without questioning me.  I really needed you."

"You're welcome. I'm glad I could help, but I don't really feel I did anything.  How did sleeping with me help?"

"After what happened, I became really afraid to be apart from my mother.  I thought she would disappear.  I couldn't have another person leave me.  So I had to sleep holding on to her.  When she got married, I was alone for the first time in a very long time.   The nightmares were unbearable.  Even with medications, I found it hard to sleep on my own.  When  you came to live with us it was a Godsend."

Yoongi smiled and held her close wrapping his arms around her.  She looked up into his eyes.  "You saved me in another way.  I felt loved by you.  You always did little things for me without saying anything.  It was so thoughtful and sweet. Your mom and dad raised a wonderful son. I started to like everything about you. Till I knew I wanted you and not Tae.  Everything about you is special and you are so cute and y.  Even when you make me angry I still love you."

Instead of being happy, Yoongi started to pout the tears forming at the corners of his sweet eyes.  "And now after telling me all this you're still going to leave me?" 

"This is not all my fault.  You left me when I need you to fight for me.  I still hoped you would stop the wedding but you didn't even come."

"Jinny, I had nothing to offer you.  How could I compete with your rich boyfriend? I tried to better myself the only way I knew how."

There was a knock at the door and a nurse came in.  "Are you Jinny Kim?"

"Yes."  

"It's time for the sonogram."  The nurse said motioning for her to get in the wheelchair. "Your husband can come too."  She said looking at Yoongi.

I smiled at Yoongi and said, "Yes come."