Most precious *

Under The Full Moon

Sanghyuk’s vision was blurry as his paws touched down on the ground, his ears twitching slightly as he stared at what was in front of him. He sniffed the air as he stepped forward.

 

A wolf raised its head, the fur on its body seemed to glow in the moonlight, bright eyes staring intensely at him. Sanghyuk froze on the spot as shivers ran down his body at the sight when two other wolves stood behind that wolf that was laying down.

 

Sanghyuk tried speaking out to them but found that he couldn’t get any words out.

 

One of the wolves howled loudly and suddenly Sanghyuk jerked awake on his bed.

 

His blankets were strewn across him as he just blinked at his ceiling. Shaking his head, Sanghyuk rolled back over and tugged his blankets up to his chin.

 

What was that dream?

 

Silver wolves…They looked like they were made from moonlight.

 

Sanghyuk shook his head and closed his eyes, but the image of the three silver wolves was burnt into his mind. It was just intriguing, that’s all.

 

While white wolves were rare, so were silver wolves like those in his dream. They were more of legends in stories that Sanghyuk would be told by his grandparents.

 

But are they really legends?

 

Anyway, it was too early for him or anyone to even for be up, but why couldn’t his brain just shut off and let him fall back to sleep?

 

There must’ve been something else that had stirred him and was currently keeping him awake.

 

Fear began to fill his body as his eyes snapped open once again. Sitting up instantly, his ears twitched as he tried to listen for any strange noises that might’ve caught his attention. However, it was silent in the town with nothing seeming to be out of the ordinary.

 

That wasn’t surprising. No one could get into the town – which is the safest part of their entire pack – without any of the wolves noticing.

 

He shouldn’t be worried at all.

 

The only strange scent was Taekwoon’s but even that that was too strange. His scent would change to match the pack’s soon enough.

 

Why wasn’t his mind letting him sleep? He had a lot to do in the next few days and he couldn’t run the risk of passing out because his mind was refusing to let him sleep. He could already hear his parents tell him that he needed all the strength in order to help lead the pack.

 

Easy for them to say.

 

Whatever, since he was already awake he might as well get up and see if there was something going on in the house. To put his mind to ease.

 

Perhaps someone couldn’t sleep or the oven was on or something else that his mind was claiming was dangerous and Sanghyuk had to fix. It could be anything but he’ll see what he can do about it regardless.

 

Slipping out of his room, Sanghyuk looked down the hallway. Hearing his family breathing softly, Sanghyuk knew he’d have to keep his footsteps light lest he wakes up Holland. Who was, after Sanghyuk, the lightest sleeper in their family.

 

His feet carried him down the hallway and stopped him outside of the room that Taekwoon was currently residing in. The young Alpha sighed and was about to turn around, Taekwoon was asleep and nothing was inside the room, but then he shuffling and whimpers from within the room.

 

He looked at the door and laid his ears back. A part of him really wanted to go in and check up on Taekwoon but the more rational part of his brain told him not to. He was going to be pushing and testing Taekwoon’s trust in him if he went in without permission.

 

The whining grew louder and more desperate and the sounds of a blanket ripping broke through Sanghyuk’s thoughts.

 

Regardless, he needed to check up on Taekwoon and he wasn’t going to let Taekwoon suffer when he can do something about it. His wolf nudged forward, urging him to go in a check on him, growling softly in protectiveness.

 

Sanghyuk pushed open the door, head poking into the room to see Taekwoon laying on his stomach. The blanket was half on the bed and half falling towards the ground. His fingers curled forward into the mattress and poked holes into the bedsheet. The sheen of sweat was across Taekwoon’s skin, his face twisted into a distressed look.

 

You didn’t have to be a genius to know that Taekwoon was suffering from a nightmare.

 

How many nightmares has he suffered since we found him? Sanghyuk thought as he stopped beside the bed, unsure of if he should reach out to him.

 

“Taekwoon?” Sanghyuk leaned towards Taekwoon, taking the risk and going to wake him up. That’s all he was going to do. Wake him up, talk a little bit and then wait for him to fall back to sleep before returning back to his room. Trust isn’t something that should be tested like this but he couldn’t see any other option.

 

Taekwoon jerked awake, aqua eyes landing on Sanghyuk’s face, shaking from the nightmare. Sanghyuk opened his mouth but suddenly Taekwoon reached out and his fingers curled into Sanghyuk’s shirt. Without any warning, Sanghyuk found himself being tugged with more force then he was expecting onto the bed.

 

Sanghyuk managed to catch himself just in time but felt as though Taekwoon wasn’t going to let go of him any time soon. Knowing that there was nothing else for him to do, Sanghyuk moved himself around to rets on the other side of the bed. Taekwoon whimpered as he curled up to Sanghyuk’s side, head nudging underneath Sanghyuk’s chin.

 

“Taekwoon, what-?”

 

Taekwoon breathed out deeply, settling down to sleep, eyes closed as he breathed in Sanghyuk’s scent and her body relaxed. Sanghyuk was confused but decided to not question it. He draped his arm around Taekwoon’s shoulder to hold him close.

 

“Sanghyuk?”

 

“Hey there, you okay now?” Sanghyuk asked, hand lightly rubbing circles into the middle of Taekwoon’s shoulders.

 

Taekwoon nodded as he held onto Sanghyuk tighter, as if he was the only thing keeping him from slipping back into the land of nightmares. He was worried that that was the case.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Sanghyuk smiled and stayed still until he was sure that he felt Taekwoon drift fully off to sleep. Taekwoon felt warm against his body and his wolf huffed, not used to being used as a pillow by someone other than his siblings but felt pride that Taekwoon trusted him this much.

 

He curled around slightly so he rested on his own side, curling his legs up and catching Taekwoon’s own legs. He mumbled something and then draped his own legs around Sanghyuk’s. He smiled slightly to himself.

 

The best entanglement.

 

Sanghyuk snapped his eyes open at that thought.

 

His ing wolf.

 

No!

 

Taekwoon smells really good though. His wolf said. But he’ll smell better with my scent mixed in.

 

Sanghyuk gritted his teeth and pushed those thoughts away. Getting irritated by his wolf.

 

No. I don’t want Taekwoon as my mate. I barely know him.

 

His wolf grumbled but fell silent as Sanghyuk felt himself being pulled into the sweet embrace of sleep.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Even though there was no window facing the rising sun, Sanghyuk still awoke as normal.

 

He didn’t need to open his eyes to remember where he was. Taekwoon was warm and solid next to him. His hair tickling his face. Yawning, Sanghyuk stretched out and then settled back down to nuzzle his face into Taekwoon’s hair.

 

Mine.

 

Okay…

 

Sanghyuk sat up, despite the complaints from Taekwoon who had yet to stir from his sleep again. But he should go. His thoughts were trailing towards dangerous territory and it’ll get risky if he stays any longer.

 

Once he managed to get out of the really warm bed, he noticed how Taekwoon curled in closer to where Sanghyuk had been previously laying. Clinging onto Sanghyuk’s scent which made his wolf almost purr in pride and satisfaction.

 

Shaking his head, Sanghyuk stumbled out of the room, shutting the door quietly behind himself. Resting against it and letting out a breath that he wasn’t even aware that he was holding.

 

He could still smell Taekwoon’s scent on his body which wasn’t helping at all. His siblings were going to give him about it, he could already see it happening. Grumbling, he made his way towards the kitchen deciding to grab something to eat before trying to figure out why he was so tuned in with Taekwoon.

 

“Sanghyuk.” Miyong turned to Sanghyuk after pushing the plate of pancakes away from Holland and Haebin who were bickering over who had the first dibs on them. She paused as she sniffed. “You smell-“

 

“Like Taekwoon.” Holland quipped in, turning to face Sanghyuk with a grin on his face. “Careful bro. You need to be mated to sleep with someone.”

 

“Not true.” Haebin said grabbing a pancake while Holland cried out at that. “Eric and Hyemi weren’t mated when Hyemi fell pregnant with Jackson.”

 

“How do you know that?” Juwon asked.

 

Haebin shrugged. “Grandma has interesting stories.”

 

Miyong sighed as she rubbed her temples. “Mother…”

 

Sanghyuk frowning and looking confused. Suddenly he looks surprised and came to the realisation as to who could help him with his thoughts. While his parents could actually be helpful, his grandparents would actually have more knowledge on certain topics.

 

“I have to go.” Sanghyuk backed off, not feeling hungry for once.

 

“What?” Haebin looked at him. “Why?”

 

Sanghyuk his lips as he thought about explaining it to his family without giving anything away. “Just, something happened last night and I think grandpa would be able to help me figure it out.”

 

Juwon nodded. “Yeah, my father is very intelligent. If it is so important, go ahead and talk with him. I think he’d like spending more time with you anyway.”

 

Sanghyuk felt bad about that. Yeah, he hadn’t had time to spend time with his grandparents now. With him being old enough to lead the pack he had flung himself into his duties to lessen the hardships on his parents. That had made him neglect his time with his family and friends.

 

“I know.” He whispered. “I’ll make it up to him, don’t worry.”

 

He turned around, hearing Haebin teasing Holland about him not being fast enough to get any pancakes and he chuckled as Holland snapped at her. Juwon and Miyong merely sighed at them, knowing it was pointless to try and stop this particular argument.

 

It was one they had almost every day after all.

 

Sanghyuk scented the air to see where his grandfather was and realised that he was in the library in the Alpha house. It was a shock, considering that Songhyon rarely hung around his old house. Not wanting to get in the way of his son, daughter-in-law and his grandkids.

 

Looking into the library, Sanghyuk saw his grandfather seated on one of the chairs, reading one of the many books that they had. Sanghyuk wondered if he should really talk to someone about this but he knew it was better to talk about it rather than keeping it in.

 

“Yes, Sanghyuk?”

 

Songhyon didn’t turn around but knew that his grandson was in the doorway, questioning whether or not he should come in or not.

 

Sanghyuk startled. “Granddad, I didn’t-“

 

“Realise I could sense you there?” Songhyon looked at him with amused eyes. “Come here, Hyuk and talk with me about what is on your mind.”

 

Sanghyuk approached him and collapsed onto the other chair near Songhyon. His tail draped down to the ground, lightly flicking before stilling as his grandfather narrowed his eyes at him. Oh yeah, he hated visual displays of irritation.

 

“I am just really confused.”

 

“About Taekwoon?”

 

“Well, yes to a degree.”

 

Songhyon placed the book on the table and stared at the young heir. “What do you mean, to a degree? Are you worried about his history and then realising that is isn’t what he says he is?”

 

Sanghyuk shook his head. “No. I’m not worried about that. I am confused about how I have reacted to him.”

 

Songhyon said nothing, clearly prompting Sanghyuk to clarify himself.

 

He cleared his throat as he continued on. “Well…You see, I think I met him when I was really young, like six or seven. But, I forgot about it all and then I met him and after a little while I was like ‘maybe this is the same wolf that I saw all those years ago’. Though that explains little to why I was able to catch his scent faster and long before Holland did.”

 

Songhyon blinked. “Really?”

 

“Yeah. He didn’t get his scent until we were much closer to him. At that point he only caught the scent of blood.”

 

“And there is something else on your mind, isn’t there?”

 

Sanghyuk nodded. He felt comfortable with telling his grandfather because Songhyon was not one to interrupt someone speaking and was happily silent, allowing you to talk at your pace but will prompt you to go in a certain direction.

 

It was what he was extremely thankful for.

 

“I woke up this morning, very early, at like three am and I didn’t really know why I had woken up. I had a weird dream but my mind refused to shut off once I was awake and I got out of bed. Like, I was awake I might as well just double check everything, right? But that was when I just realised that Taekwoon was suffering from a nightmare.”

 

Songhyon blinked. “Is that so?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Songhyon hummed and had a thoughtful expression on his face. “I think I have an idea as to why that may be but I will need more information.”

 

“Granddad?”

 

“What do you know about Fated Mates?”

 

“Fated Mates?”

 

Songhyon sighed. “I figured that you wouldn’t know about them. They are considered a legend to us wolves after all.”

 

“I know that, but what do you mean? Didn’t they originate like, generations ago?” Sanghyuk asked, pushing himself up and draping himself over the side of the couch.

 

His grandfather tapped his fingers on the chair. “Fated Mates…You have heard about them?”

 

“Vaguely.”

 

“What can you tell me from what you have learnt?”

 

Sanghyuk knew that he just wanted to know how much Sanghyuk knew in order to see what he needed to tell him or change. There wasn’t much Sanghyuk knew about Fated Mates and only knew the absolute basics of them.

 

“That they are a couple that are fated to be together but there is the possibility of them becoming just friends.”

 

“Well, not really. Fated Mates only become just friends if they already have mates by the time that they meet each other. The connection is only created and blossoms after the first meeting that the pair have with each other, regardless of how old they are.” Songhyon relaxed further into the chair and chuckled when he noticed Sanghyuk’s ear twitch in interest. “But, after several generations, Fated Mates became distant. Soon, they would be born with their mate quite a fair distance from them and they’d never meet.”

 

Sanghyuk felt his heart ache at that.

 

Imagine having a fated mate and never knowing because your lives never cross or meeting too late. He couldn’t imagine the pain that you’d feel and felt pity for those who suffer the pain of losing the one wolf who is meant to complete them.

 

“But wouldn’t your paths cross anyway if you are fated to be together?” Sanghyuk asked.

 

Songhyon sadly shook his head. “No. That isn’t the case for all of them, mainly because some are born in separate packs and are never allowed to meet or interact. Therefore they go their entire lives without ever knowing but always feeling as though a part of themselves is missing.”

 

Sanghyuk turned away, his wolf whining and crying at the thought.

 

It sounded lonely, even more so than not having a mate. Having someone who you are meant to be with but never being able to even meet them would . You’d have a mate or no mate and feel the desire to seek someone out.

 

“So why are Fated Mates such a legend?”

 

“Because of that. If Fated Mates can’t meet and have pups together, then the lineage of Fated Mates eventually dies off or becomes so diluted that it just never shows up in populations.”

 

“Like white wolves?”

 

Songhyon seemed surprised but nodded. “Yes, just like pure white wolves. They end up getting so diluted and spread out across the gene pool that it becomes so unlikely to have a Fated Mate.”

 

Sanghyuk frowned. “Then…How can you be sure I have a Fated Mate?”

 

“Because of how you react to Taekwoon.” Songhyon said. “Your wolf is not even trying to hide his dissatisfaction of someone hurting Taekwoon. While it may seem possessive, wolves are typically much more protective of their mates if they are Fated Mates than others.”

 

“But mum and dad aren’t Fated Mates.”

 

“No, not really. I would agree on that but perhaps they had more Fated Mate DNA within them then we all thought. Alphas are typically more likely to have Fated Mates because they chose mates typical on the initial feeling and connection they have with them. Therefor that DNA remains relatively strong throughout the generations.”

 

The young Alpha hummed and propped his chin onto his arm as he frowned deep in thought. It made sense to a degree. But…him and Taekwoon? It seemed unlikely.

 

“It just seems unlikely.” Sanghyuk whispered.

 

“You noticed Taekwoon when you were much younger, didn’t you?”

 

“Yeah.” Sanghyuk glanced at Songhyon, wondering where he was going with this.

 

“But no one else noticed him, despite his bright white fur, right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“And you’ve never been interested in a mate at all. Trying it out but then breaking up with them because it didn’t feel right, right?”

 

Sanghyuk blinked and grumbled. “Yes. You already know this.”

 

“But then Taekwoon shows up and suddenly you have the desire to take care of the pack, and he is able to relax your mind and you are tuned in with him to the point that you woke up in the middle of the night because he was suffering a nightmare. Right?” Songhyon sounded as though he was just waiting for Sanghyuk to realise what he was getting at.

 

“Yes…”

 

Songhyon chuckled. “Certainly you know what I am getting at.”

 

“That Taekwoon is my Fated Mate.” Sanghyuk hissed, pushing himself up and lashing his tail. “That’s crazy! I probably only reacted because I am at the age to take care of the pack for longer periods of time by myself! That Taekwoon is under our care and I should be aware to help ease him into our pack dynamics.”

 

His grandfather said nothing as he watched the anger bubble up within Sanghyuk. Not phased because he knew that Sanghyuk would never lash out at any of his pack mates.

 

He knew it was a sensitive topic.

 

“It was a suggestion that I suggest you to actually consider.” Songhyon said calmly, raising an eyebrow and watching the fight drain out of Sanghyuk who collapsed back on the couch.

 

Sanghyuk huffed and let his tail flick.

 

“It just seems too…crazy, too out there.” Sanghyuk murmured. “There has to be a logical reason for it all.”

 

“Fated Mates is a perfectly logical reason.”

 

Sanghyuk hated the fact that his grandfather was right.

 

While it was crazy, Fated Mates made perfect sense in this regard but perhaps he just refused to accept that because he was so used to being on his own and taking care of the pack without anyone else. He always thought he’d take a mate that was the Alpha child of another pack or one of the Zetas that watched over their sister packs.

 

Yet, here was a strange wolf who he only met once as pups and had returned fifteen years later and Sanghyuk was now only being told that there is a high likelihood that they are Fated Mates.

 

“I don’t know him.” Sanghyuk whimpered.

 

Songhyon stood up and ran his fingers through his grandson’s hair. “You have plenty of time to get to know him.” Sanghyuk sniffed and buried his head into the pillow and Songhyon sighed. “I wouldn’t be too worried.”

 

“Why not?” Sanghyuk’s voice was muffled.

 

“Your scent.”

 

There it was again. The whole scent thing.

 

“Why is my scent so damn ing important?!” Sanghyuk snapped as he reeled back, making Songhyon step back in surprise. Clearly he wasn’t expecting such an outburst from him.

 

“You have the scent of Taekwoon on you.” Songhyon said, calmly to not let his own temper flare.

 

“Yeah, I know that. Because Holland and Haebin mentioned it earlier.” Sanghyuk growled.

 

“SANGHYUK!”

 

Juwon’s snarl caused Sanghyuk to tense up, ears laying flat back in fear and worry. He turned his head to see his father growling softly at him. His mother, brother and sister were watching them in worry.

 

“Sanghyuk, don’t you dare growl at your grandfather.” Juwon snapped.

 

Sanghyuk flinched and lowered his head, curling in on himself. “Sorry.”

 

Songhyon sighed and shot his son a look. “Juwon, relax. Sanghyuk is emotional and needs to get everything out of his system.”

 

Sanghyuk just shook his head. “But why is Taekwoon’s scent on me so important? I laid beside him because he was suffering from a nightmare and my presence had calmed him down enough to let him sleep peacefully. Why is his scent on me so important you have to repeat it?”

 

His voice was so soft, quiet and was shaking ever so slightly as he spoke.

 

He was just confused.

 

“Father what did you tell him?” Juwon asked and Songhyon smiled.

 

“I just brought up the idea that he and Taekwoon are Fated Mates. You know, the connections of legends.” Songhyon explained.

 

Juwon and Miyong shared a look as Haebin frowned. “What? Fated Mates? Mates that are fated to be together?”

 

Holland just stared at her. “No Sherlock.” He paused. “Wait, that would be a compliment for you.”

 

“I just like Sherlock, okay?”

 

“A bit too much there, sis.”

 

“Just because you don’t appreciate good culture.”

 

Songhyon sighed. “Well, it is the most logical reason as to why Sanghyuk is so drawn to Taekwoon.” He gave his grandson a look. “When he finally admits to it.”

 

“I just don’t…I don’t want him to only like me because of a connection between us.” Sanghyuk cried, trying to fight back tears. “No one wants anyone to like them because of that pre made connection.”

 

“No but let me explain a bit more than Songhyon could.” Yikyun said as she slipped behind Haebin who screeched.

 

“Grandma!” Haebin cried.

 

Yikyun smiled at her and chuckled softly at her granddaughter and approached Sanghyuk. Her fingers rubbing Sanghyuk’s arm, her eyes and expression soft and warm.

 

“Sanghyuk. Let me tell you one thing about Fated Mates that people tend to forget or gloss over, or just don’t realise what the whole thing about them is.” Yikyun smirked at Songhyon. “But, that is not to say that Songhyon didn’t try to explain it.”

 

Songhyon blinked. “I can feel the passive aggressiveness in that comment.”

 

Yikyun waved her hand. “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

 

Sanghyuk blinked and looked between his grandparents. Their friendship still surprised him to this day.

 

“However, what I mean to say is that connection is there because of your lives.” Yikyun said. “Fated Mates are the way they are because the lives that they have, only their fated partner can properly be the one to help ease them. Those who have had a terrible life are able to learn to love and rust again once they meet their mate.”

 

“So, if you were abused then the only one you would trust is your Fated Mate?” Haebin asked.

 

“That is correct.”

 

Sanghyuk paused and lowered his head, looked stressed and panicked.

 

Did that mean that Taekwoon was abused?

 

His wolf whined loudly at that. Demanding to not think that way.

 

Holland looked at Sanghyuk and frowned. “Sanghyuk is the only one that Taekwoon trusts, even though it seems like Taekwoon just doesn’t trust Alphas in general.”

 

“It is a high possibly.” Yikyun nodded.

 

Sanghyuk whimpered.

 

What had Taekwoon gone through?

 

What kind of life had he have before they found him?

 

Haebin pressed against Sanghyuk’s side, her gaze was soft as she nuzzled him lightly. Sanghyuk in a shaky breath and then turned his head to nuzzle into her neck as well. Her presence was very relaxing and his wolf sighed and even nuzzle her own in their mental link.

 

Don’t worry.

 

Easy for you to say.

 

Sanghyuk sighed heavily. “I can’t do anything?”

 

“Why not?” Miyong asked.

 

Sanghyuk blinked back tears. “Because…Because he probably doesn’t know about Fated Mates.”

 

His family shared looked of worry and agreed with him.

 

It would be too risky to push himself onto Taekwoon. He wouldn’t anyway but he’d almost be pushed into being with Taekwoon because of how much Taekwoon trusts him. He whimpered again as he felt tears run down his cheeks.

 

Miyong cooed as she wrapped her son in her arms. “Shush, Hyuk. It will be alright.” She wiped a few of his tears away. “My poor baby, I know you are stressed.”

 

“Why is this the case? Why is it so confusing?” Sanghyuk asked as he clutched his mother.

 

“Because your wolf is suddenly being ed into a life of protecting someone who you are born to be with.” Miyong whispered and kissed his forehead. “I would suggest wiping your tears away. If your wolf is protective of Taekwoon, then his wolf will be protective of you. Who knows what he’ll do to make you feel better.”

 

Juwon hummed. “I would suggest waiting before telling him.”

 

Wiping his eyes, Sanghyuk chuckled. “I was going to anyway, you didn’t need to tell me that.”

 

Holland chuffed lightly before flicking his ear and turning his head. “Morning Kangmin, Taekwoon.”

 

Kangmin huffed. “I led Taekwoon to the kitchen for some breakfast, he was asking where everyone was though.” His eyes narrowed at Sanghyuk who smiled at his brother.

 

Taekwoon was asking for him.

 

“Is everything alright, Taekwoon?” Juwon asked.

 

Taekwoon nodded. “The house is big…”

 

“Yeah. It’s intimidating.” Haebin laughed. “You’ll get used to it.”

 

Holland smiled. “Since you already had something to eat, sorry we weren’t there, do you want to be shown around the town?”

 

“You’re asking me?” Taekwoon asked.

 

“To see if you’re comfortable. We know what’s like to be forced to do something we don’t want to.” Haebin said and Sanghyuk almost frowned when he noticed the slight flinch of Taekwoon’s body.

 

Haebin glanced at him briefly before frowning slightly.

 

Taekwoon looked up when Sanghyuk spoke up. “This is for your comfort. We think it would be beneficial for you to know where everything is in the pack town for whenever you may want to walk around yourself. We will meet pack mates but if you are uncomfortable with it then we don’t need to.”

 

“Will they keep their distance?” Taekwoon asked.

 

“Of course, they know better than to lean into one’s personal space, especially with someone they don’t know.” Sanghyuk said. Plus, if they did do anything to freak him out, there is going to be an issue.

 

Be nice. Haebin hissed and Sanghyuk stopped himself from rolling his eyes at her.

 

Kangmin may not know why they were waiting for Taekwoon to agree or disagree with Sanghyuk’s words, but even he could sense that there was something in the air. Something that went deeper than Taekwoon’s trust in the heir.

 

Taekwoon tilted his head. “I mean…I have to anyway, right?”

 

Kangmin squealed. “You are going to love the town!”

 

Haebin raised an eyebrow. Sounds like an Alpha mate who is willing to try and be around the pack.

 

Sanghyuk really didn’t know how to feel about that.

 

While he felt guilty that he might be guiding Taekwoon along in the direction he wanted, he knew that that wasn’t the case at all. Taekwoon wouldn’t agree if he really didn’t want to do so.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“So! You already know about the hospital and the Alpha house.” Kangmin started once they left the building. Taekwoon walking right behind him. “Though, obviously they aren’t the only major buildings.”

 

He waved his hand towards a smaller building near the Alpha house. “That is the house of the Betas and the house on the other side is typically where the Elders, or Gammas, live. Typically our grandparents don’t come into the Alpha house anymore. Also, it is the retirement house for wolves who have been disabled in fights, such as being deafened or blinded, and don’t want to be that much of a stress for us. They live there.”

 

Sanghyuk huffed and raised an eyebrow as Taekwoon just blinked.

 

“Kangmin, talk slower, you’ve lost him.” Sanghyuk laughed.

 

Kangmin paused and then grinned apologetically. “Sorry, Taekwoon.”

 

“It’s alright.” Taekwoon murmured. “I didn’t mind.”

 

“See.” Kangmin motioned towards Taekwoon. “He’s okay with it.”

 

“Just calm down a bit. You may startle him, that’s all.” Sanghyuk said, resting his hand on Kangmin’s shoulder. “I know you are excited.”

 

Kangmin huffed and then pointed towards a house that was covered in flowers. “That is the Mus house.”

 

“Mus?”

 

Sanghyuk, Haebin and Kangmin looked at Taekwoon who seemed purely surprised by the different titles and names that they use when speaking about their packmates.

 

Sanghyuk was sad by the fact that Taekwoon never had the right life in a pack with a proper system with the full titles to help keep the pack alive. “Mus are the Peace Keepers. Mus are the legitimate title they are given but everyone remembers them as Peace Keepers.”

 

“It’s degrading to not have your title be remembered.” Haebin muttered, tail flicking.

 

Easy. Sanghyuk sent to her and she sniffed but could understand her annoyance.

 

They were protective of the titles of their packmates. People blatantly refusing to call them by their proper title was insulting to the entire pack and making yourself be a terrible person. Because refusing to acknowledge a title means that you just don’t care about what they do for the pack.

 

But, not knowing them in general was different. You can be excused for not knowing.

 

“What do they do?” Taekwoon asked instead of anything else, curious. “My pack never had Peace-Mus.” He corrected himself. “I don’t think we ever did.”

 

Suddenly he looked worried and panicked but Sanghyuk explained easily to him. “Well, they are the mood makers of the pack. Even more so than the Alphas at times because they are the only rank that can calm an enraged Alpha or make them see reason.” Sanghyuk was always thankful for Jaehwan who was that source of comfort and reason for him. “They often break up fights between packs, but usually don’t’ get involved in fights. However, they can channel their Alpha’s anger and be just as strong as Betas in battle.”

 

Taekwoon’s ears twitched. “Oh, are you close with them?”

 

“Their youngest son, Jaehwan, is one of my close friends.” Sanghyuk said and nodded his head towards a person with caramel coloured ears and tail. “He is probably going to be the one to take up the role and rank as Mu in our town, and as the major Mu of the pack.”

 

“I heard my name mentioned!” Jaehwan cried as he came rushing over, dragging Hongbin along behind him. “Binnie and I just got back from checking out the sheep on one of the farms.” He held up his arms. “They weren’t nice.”

 

That was when Sanghyuk realised that Jaehwan and Hongbin were covered in mud and Haebin scowled.

 

“You two didn’t think of washing up at the farm?”

 

Jaehwan paused and then looked thoughtful. “Ya know, that would’ve been a smart idea.” He spun around and clutched Hongbin’s shirt, ignoring his splutter of annoyance. “Binnie, why didn’t we do that? Now we are trekking mud all around town.”

 

Hongbin grumbled. “It was your idea, remember?”

 

“Nope. Don’t remember.” Jaehwan shrugged and then noticed Taekwoon who had backed up behind Sanghyuk out of shock and slight fear.

 

“Oh! Is this the white wolf?!” Jaehwan squealed as he leaned forward.

 

Sanghyuk growled, putting himself between them. “Jaehwan. Don’t.”

 

Jaehwan quickly backed off. “Sorry.” He grinned at Taekwoon. “I’m Jaehwan. I’m guessing you don’t like people near you then?”

 

Taekwoon shook his head.

 

Haebin broke in. “Jaehwan, Hongbin, this is Taekwoon. Taekwoon this is Jaehwan, our youngest Mu and Hongbin, our youngest Nu, or sentry as they are often called. They are in charge of monitoring water supplies – such as if too much water has evaporated during summer – and typically are our farmers.”

 

“I hated farming.” Hongbin grumbled. “It’s so boring. I should get Kangmin to do my work for me.”

 

“No!” Kangmin wailed. “Anything but that!”

 

Sanghyuk chuckled and turned to Taekwoon who was just plain confused. “Don’t mind them. Kangmin likes to irritate Hongbin so he gets him to help around the farms. Kangmin say she hates it but he enjoys it because it gets him out of school.”

 

Taekwoon giggled quietly at that.

 

A sound that made Sanghyuk almost preen that he was able to get such a response from him.

 

Haebin’s smug expression said otherwise and Jaehwan huffed as he looked between them.

 

“That weird twin connection you have is creepy.” Jaehwan grumbled.

 

“Twin connection?” Taekwoon asked and Haebin nodded as Sanghyuk gave her a look.

 

He turned around to fully face Taekwoon, just so he wasn’t distracted.

 

“All immediate family members, if they’re close have a bond with them. But that can wither and die in time, especially if the trust isn’t mutual. But twins are different. Twins naturally have a strong connection because their wolves were able to mature together. Even distances can’t separate the bond twins can have.” He grinned at Haebin. “So, she’s never getting rid of me.”

 

“I wish I could. But the only way is one of us to die.”

 

Sanghyuk snorted. “If one twin dies the other will always feel the pain, sometimes even more so than their mate.”

 

Haebin suddenly quipped in. “But no one knows if the same is for Fated Mates.”

 

“Fated Mates?” Hongbin asked. “Why would you bring them up.”

 

Sanghyuk hissed at Haebin who only looked way too smug. “No reason, she is just running . As per usual.”

 

Haebin snickered. “You love me, brother dearest.”

 

“Sometimes I wish I didn’t but I do.” Sanghyuk sighed and turned to Jaehwan with a flicked ear. “Since I know you don’t want to go home just yet and face the wrath of your parents by being covered in mud.” He at least had the foresight to look somewhat guilty at that. “Why don’t you and Hongbin help Kangmin show Taekwoon around.”

 

Kangmin nodded. “Yeah, Taekwoon’s old pack ran different so we do have to inform him of our ranks and titles. Just in case.”

 

Jaehwan clapped his hands together. “Great! I’ve always wanted to show someone around. Plus, the more time I put off returning home the better. Come along, we’ll show you everything.”

 

Taekwoon hesitated and Sanghyuk leaned towards him. “You can trust them but if you want me to be there at all times you can say so. They won’t mind.”

 

Taekwoon forced a smile. “It’s fine but will you be around anyway?”

 

“Of course. Jaehwan can get a bit crazy so Haebin and I will be nearby.” Sanghyuk nodded and when Taekwoon relaxed, Kangmin grabbed his sleeve and tugged on it.

 

“Come on. There is so much to show you!”

 

Taekwoon let himself follow Kangmin, Jaehwan and Hongbin who pointed out the other buildings of the town. The twins trailed after them, keeping a close eye on Taekwoon (well Sanghyuk was, Haebin was watching Jaehwan) and making sure that no one got too close.

 

“Sis?” Sanghyuk asked suddenly, sensing a shift in Haebin’s demeanour. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I don’t know.” She admitted. “I just feel like something is wrong.”

 

“Hm?” He looked at her and noticed her conflicted look.

 

“Like something big is going to happen and no matter what we do…We won’t be able to stop it.”