The End of My Youth *

Under The Full Moon

“They killed out eldest Alpha!”

 

“They have captured our pups and a sister pack!”

 

“We are in danger!”

 

“They have our youngest Alpha pup!”

 

Sanghyuk clenched his hands on the side of the table. Tears pricked at the back of his eyes as he gritted his teeth, tail lashing from side to side as he struggled to keep himself composed. However, he didn’t want to close his eyes to keep the tears at bay.

 

Every time he did he saw the bloodied body of his grandfather.

 

Saw Hoyoung’s bloody body as he laid on one of the many hospital beds as Daesung rarely left his bedside to ensure that he wasn’t going to lose the young hunter.

 

He saw the pack break down as he carried Hoyoung and his grandfather back to town. Saw the pups being ushered away so they didn’t see the horrendous sight.

 

The way Eunkwang screamed when he realised that Sakang had been taken.

 

Eric and Hyemi crying for Felix while Jackson yelled at Sanghyuk for not being able to get his baby brother.

 

Sanghyuk could feel his parents’ tears as he said that he couldn’t find Kangmin. Could see Haebin and Holland crack and break down as they assumed the worst.

 

Sanghyuk saw the way Taekwoon stared at him before crying and then helping Sanghyuk back to his room. Tail draped over him and letting Sanghyuk break down screaming into his chest.

 

Taekwoon soothed his hair but said nothing. He knew that nothing would ever help Sanghyuk but had pulled back and told Sanghyuk that he is an Alpha. Alphas don’t let anything ever happen to their pack and Taekwoon was there to help his family if they need it. They need to break down but the pack needs an Alpha.

 

Taekwoon’s tail curled around Sanghyuk’s. Sanghyuk sighed softly as he let his tail pause and then risked a glance towards Taekwoon who was looking at him.

 

His eyes were narrowed as he stared at the adult wolves in the room. Sanghyuk could see the tension in Taekwoon’s shoulders as he kept himself composed but Sanghyuk could tell that while he and his family would begin to cry, Taekwoon would probably lash out in anger.

 

The pack could tell that their Alphas were stiff and panicked and stressed. This had led to them being rowdy. Well, more so than normal.

 

Taekwoon’s hand dropped to rest on Sanghyuk’s knee. Squeezing it gently to reassure him and to ground him.

 

Sanghyuk took a deep breath and then raised his head to let his gaze sweep across the group. He could see the anger and distress that filled everyone. Sanghyuk gulped and let out a shaky breath but Taekwoon’s hand squeezed tighter.

 

Grounding.

 

He was grounded.

 

He was missing a sister pack and packmates but he pushed back that.

 

There wasn’t anything he could do about that yet. Not yet until they had a plan of attack. This wasn’t going to be pushed aside.

 

Whoever is the culprit will regret ever pissing off Moon Shadows.

 

“We need to do something about this!”

 

“Let’s go and deal with them! Make them regret it!”

 

“No one messes with our pack!”

 

“So why are we still staying here when we should be doing something?!”

 

Sanghyuk glanced at his parents and siblings who were struggling to keep themselves composed. Haebin and Holland failed as tears were barely seen on their skin. His hand leaned down to rest on Taekwoon’s hand and squeezed it back.

 

“We should do to them what they did to us.”

 

Sanghyuk squeezed his eyes shut as he tried to ignore the visuals of blood scattering across the grass and staining it. Why couldn’t he just get rid of this image?

 

“SHUT UP!”

 

Everyone jumped and they snapped their heads towards Taekwoon who had leaped to his feet. His lips were curled back into an ugly snarl as his anger seeped out of him but it was steadying. Grounding.

 

Sanghyuk realised that his anger was because the pack weren’t letting their Alphas talk. That he was getting irritated by the fact they were speaking over themselves and not letting any information get into their head.

 

Yelling was one way to get their attention.

 

“Listen to yourselves.” Taekwoon growled. “They ripped apart your oldest Alpha and almost killed a young and strong wolf. And you guys are talking about rushing into danger?”

 

He sniffed and took a deep breath. No one said anything.

 

“They have our pups and sister pack, right?”

 

“So we have to do something. My son was taken.” Hyemi hissed as if offended that Taekwoon wasn’t as worried about this as he should be.

 

Sanghyuk knew Taekwoon was very worried but someone had to be the level-headed one here. Taekwoon just so happened to be that person. The white wolf was a calming sensation in the frenzy that was the pack’s thoughts on what happened.

 

“And we will.” Taekwoon stressed.

 

“But we aren’t.”

 

Taekwoon rolled his eyes, letting his annoyance shine through. “Really? Listen. They have our pups. They will use them against us if we rush in without any semblance of a plan.”

 

The wolves all murmured between each other and Sanghyuk resisted the urge to laugh loudly at their shock.

 

It wasn’t a laughing matter but Taekwoon stated the bleeding obvious. Annoyed that none of them seemed to come to that conclusion.

 

“How do you know?” Yoongi asked, carefully saying the words. Which was unusual for the small and spunky wolf.

 

“Night Walkers.” Taekwoon stated the pack name and a sudden coldness washed over the room. The way he said that caused all the wolves to stiffen. “Trust me. I know their ways.”

 

“What if the pups are…” No one could say the final word but everyone knew what it was.

 

Dread pooled in Sanghyuk’s stomach but the way that Taekwoon stood. As if he knew that it wasn’t likely convinced him to not say nor do anything. The likelihood of his baby brother being dead was a large one but Taekwoon was oddly calm about the prospect.

 

“They wouldn’t.” Taekwoon said, sounding so sure and confident which Sanghyuk was thankful for.

 

He didn’t want to think too much about what would’ve happened if Taekwoon didn’t take control of the situation. Taekwoon must’ve been really annoyed from the lack of respect that were given to the Alphas.

 

Even though Sanghyuk figured they actually deserved it.

 

“And before you ask how I know, trust me.” Taekwoon said simply. “They are working with my father, that I’m certain, to get to me. They would never kill pups from a strong and powerful pack.”

 

Sanghyuk took a deep breath and nodded, coming back to his senses. Thankfully Juwon realised where Taekwoon was going in his explanations. The oldest Alpha stood up as well and nodded towards Taekwoon who sat down again.

 

Juwon was taking control of the situation again so Taekwoon could relax a bit more.

 

“Taekwoon is right. If they ever harmed Kangmin then the sister packs near them would leap into action to attack. We’d also know it as well. They wouldn’t survive and no one would listen to them.” Juwon explained.

 

Sanghyuk frowned and then spoke up as well. “Kangmin is also an Alpha.”

 

“We know that.” Kris said, tail flicking from side to side. “Are you-“

 

“He’s an Alpha.” Sanghyuk stressed, hoping that his packmates would realise what he is getting at.

 

However the pack just stared at him with confused eyes. They must’ve just thought Sanghyuk was just stating the obvious to try and emphasise the point that Kangmin was his brother. They were right but there was another reason.

 

“No, think about it.” He stood up and shared a look with his father and Taekwoon. “He’s an Alpha. They have to keep him alive. If they kill or hurt him then the captured pack will attack. They won’t be able to fight off an angry wolf pack protecting their Alpha.”

 

Realisation dawned on their faces. Sanghyuk noticed Haebin struggle to keep her smile off her face. Of course she would find a flicker of humour in this entire thing.

 

“Now, we can’t run into this. We have to be careful and think this through carefully.” Sanghyuk carried on.

 

Hakyeon growled. “Just because they will be using Kangmin, doesn’t that mean we have to work faster? Or do you not care?”

 

Sanghyuk let out a deep growl. “Are you accusing me of not giving a about my brother? Believe me, I want to do everything I can to rip about this pack but I know better than to rush in without thinking.”

 

Hakyeon kept his mouth firmly shut this time. He must’ve known that Sanghyuk was reaching his breaking point and if he got accused one more time then he’d probably snap.

 

Taekwoon’s fingers curled around his own. The motion eased and calmed him down. Sanghyuk looked over at Taekwoon who had his ears laid flat back. Sanghyuk sighed heavily and squeezed Taekwoon’s fingers and the white wolf perked up, ears pulling forward with a flick.

 

“Look.” Juwon said, cutting the silence. “We are all tense and on edge. One of our sister packs has been taken over, most likely during the time where the sitting leaders came here to talk with us and when they returned they probably realised too late. They stole our pups and got into our borders without any of us knowing which is already cause of concern.”

 

Miyong nodded. “Rushing in without planning would result in more unnecessary deaths.”

 

Sanghyuk pursed his lips as he tapped the floor with his shoe. He could feel Haebin’s concern and anger over their baby brother being taken but he told her that she couldn’t do anything. Haebin shot him an annoyed look, wanting to snap at him but knew better than to do so in public in front of their pack.

 

Don’t, please, sis. Sanghyuk thought and noticed understanding flicker in her eyes.

 

“Anyway,” Taekwoon spoke up again, feeling a lot more comfortable in talking in front of crowds. Sanghyuk was so proud for how much his mate has improved. “They take over packs, they aren’t killers.”

 

“You know this pack how?” Daejung asked but glanced at Juwon and Miyong to make sure he wasn’t overstepping his boundaries.

 

Taekwoon shifted in his seat. “The Alpha of Night Walkers…He is married to my oldest sister. They have also been close to my old pack for as long as I have known. I was once meant to be given to them but…That clearly didn’t happen.”

 

His voice had dropped but because of how quiet the room was, they all heard the final comment. Sanghyuk almost growled and felt his lips curl back. Judging by some looks he received, his growl wasn’t easily hidden.

 

That all they knew he was trying not to growl and become possessive.

 

“So, they are after you.” Pyongchol said as he sat with his children. “Can’t they leave you alone?”

 

“No.”

 

“Why not?!” Sanghyuk lashed out without thinking or realising.

 

He snapped his mouth shut as he noticed the flicker of hurt that danced in Taekwoon’s eyes before being replaced by guilt. Taekwoon’s tail curled around his leg and Sanghyuk cursed himself for losing his temper at his mate who hadn’t done anything wrong at all. He was just being temperamental.

 

Well, that and the fact Taekwoon didn’t seem too concerned about his health and protection. Maybe he knew that he’d be safe and that Night Walkers wouldn’t harm anyone. They knew Taekwoon was an Alpha so of course he’d do whatever he can to protect his pack.

 

Even if that pack wasn’t his birth pack.

 

Sanghyuk shook his head and repeated himself, softer this time. “Why not, Taek?”

 

“They want to know why I don’t want any mates they choose. If they find out I have a Fated Mate, they’ll use it to convince the other packs I owe them and they should join our ranks.” Taekwoon said. “I know them. That’s exactly what they’ll do.”

 

Sanghyuk opened his mouth but heard a soft voice in his mind which caused him to pause.

 

Don’t. He’s your mate. Be nice.

 

You’re right.

 

Of course I am.

 

The pack murmured between each other, the revelation startling them all. Sanghyuk couldn’t blame them at all, he would focus on Taekwoon’s words but that only made him more set on getting everyone back and destroying this other pack.

 

No one gets away with taking over his sister packs.

 

Not while he’s still breathing.

 

“But we still have to do something about our sister pack and pups!” Jongsoo called out.

 

“We know, but we have to be careful in our planning.” Miyong said again, more urgently and pressing this time to get her point across properly.

 

Sanghyuk flicked his ear and gazed around the room pointedly. “We have to send a small group of wolves to check for any breaks, patrols, stray wolves, etc. They may be in the town, keeping the wolves in one location to better watch them, so we have at least a general idea of where they are most likely to be.”

 

He could see many of them ready to leap forward. To say that they’ll go and Sanghyuk was thankful that he had loyal packmates but knew that he’d not be able to live with himself if he just let them go. No. That couldn’t happen.

 

“However…I will be going for obvious reasons.”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

They all cried and Sanghyuk managed to keep himself from flinching away at their outbursts. His family looked the most distressed while his friends were right behind him. Taekwoon’s eyes were wide and Sanghyuk swore he saw tears glistening across his aqua eyes.

 

That almost made his resolve crack. Almost.

 

Holland stared at Sanghyuk. “Sanghyuk, what are you going on about?!”

 

“What does it sound like?” He shrugged.

 

“You can’t go!”

 

“Why not?” Sanghyuk snarled at his older brother. “This is my pack. I have all the right to go with the group. Perhaps even more than everyone else here.”

 

“But you can’t!” Haebin cried, jumping to her feet and baring her teeth at him.

 

“Why? Because I’m heir?” Sanghyuk snapped, also baring his teeth at his twin.

 

“Yes!”

 

“Then that’s exactly why I should go.” Sanghyuk hissed, his voice carrying around the silent room. “If something happened to me then you are here, just in case.”

 

Haebin opened and then closed it, looking away. He could feel her distress over potentially losing both of her blood siblings. She didn’t even bother trying to hide her tears, unlike Taekwoon who didn’t want to cause any more distress.

 

Sanghyuk knew he’d have to reassure her before he heads off. He just hoped that Haebin wasn’t going to be too affected by his choices.

 

Sanghyuk’s tail lashed slightly as he turned to the group. “Well, is anyone going to try and stop me?”

 

“Won’t it be too risky though?” Namjoon asked.

 

“Yes, but I’d feel terrible if I wasn’t there alongside you.”

 

Sanghyuk risked a glance over to Taekwoon and noticed that the tears were pooling up in his eyes. Of course Taekwoon would be really affected by Sanghyuk’s decision but didn’t want to argue. He knew that Sanghyuk’s mind was made up and probably felt that Sanghyuk wouldn’t back down even if Taekwoon asked him too.

 

He rested his hand on the table and entwined the tips of their fingers together. It was a small reassurance but when Taekwoon curled his fingers tighter around his, he knew that it was Taekwoon’s silent way of thanking him.

 

Juwon nodded and called out. “So, who wants to go with him to rescue our packmates?”

 

Sanghyuk looked over and noticed that almost all of his friends perked up, ready to jump forward to stand with their best friend. He even noticed Holland perk up but Juwon noticed as well and shut him down before he could say anything.

 

“Holland, you are staying here.”

 

“What?!” Holland cried. “What do you mean?”

 

“It’s already risky having Sanghyuk and Kangmin in potential danger, and I don’t want to risk anything happening to you nor Haebin.”

 

Holland opened his mouth but he realised that it was a pointless argument. Nothing was going to sway his parents and their decision in keeping him at home. He sat down with a silent growl but he was not arguing for once.

 

“Fine. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

 

Miyong nuzzled her oldest child and Holland leaned into her side. He kept his gaze away from Sanghyuk who felt his heart clench at the sight. He didn’t want his brother to be annoyed with him but there was no other option that Sanghyuk could see.

 

Sanghyuk stood fully up, straightening himself back up. “Who is going to be coming with me?”

 

Wonshik stood up from where he was with his parents, no one was even surprised, his expression was set and determined. “You really think that you’d be able to go without your Beta?”

 

Sanghyuk chuckled. “I wasn’t expecting anything less from you, Wonshik.”

 

Sungjae stood up as well. “Well, I guess I should tag alone as well. Can’t have my best friend dying after all.”

 

“Such a charmer.” Seungcheol teased, grinning at Sungjae who stuck his tongue out him.

 

Yeseul, Mimi, Jiyong and Eliza said that they join him as well. Before Sanghyuk could say anything to them, Kris said that he’ll join him. This surprised everyone since it was not a secret to anyone now that Chanyeol was expecting his pups.

 

Sanghyuk looked over at Taekwoon who eyes wasn’t leaving Chanyeol. His mate looked worried but a determined glint in his eyes.

 

Was Kris really leaving his pregnant mate? Sanghyuk felt bad for leaving Taekwoon behind but knew that something else was going on in Kris’ mind.

 

However, no one could say anything against this because Juwon and Miyong mentioned how their sister packs needed to be alerted of what happened. While they knew that the group would send a wolf to get help if they need it. Everyone murmured to each other as they began to disperse from the room.

 

Sanghyuk saw Kris and Chanyeol talking with each other and he looked at Taekwoon. He got away from the table to head towards his friends, worried for their state. Leaving a mate behind is never a good feeling. Taekwoon followed right behind him, their arms brushing together as Taekwoon’s tail curled around Sanghyuk’s.

 

“Are you scared?” Taekwoon asked once Sanghyuk looked at him.

 

“I would be idiotic if I wasn’t scared.”

 

“I’m worried for all of you.” Taekwoon whispered and Sanghyuk wrapped an arm around his waist, pulling him close.

 

“I know you are sweetie.” Sanghyuk murmured.

 

“Sweetie?” Taekwoon asked, tilting his head back in confusion.

 

Sanghyuk grinned at him. The new nickname has altered Taekwoon’s scent slightly, making it slightly sweeter and more comforting. “Yeah, matches your scent.”

 

Taekwoon rolled his eyes and playfully pushed him. Sanghyuk laughed and nuzzled Taekwoon’s hair, earning him a soft laugh in response.

 

“Cheesy.”

 

“Don’t act like you don’t love it.”

 

“Alpha.”

 

Kris’s voice was a distraction from Taekwoon but it reminded him of why he even left the building in the first place. Sanghyuk looked up and met his eyes, noting the warm and distant glint within them.

 

Sanghyuk tightened his arm around Taekwoon’s waist. “Should you really be leaving your mate? Especially one that is pregnant?”

 

His gaze landed on Chanyeol who was talking with Minseok and Junmyeon who were very clearly worried for him. They would never say it but they treated Chanyeol as their child even though he was only a couple years younger than them.

 

Then again Chanyeol was expecting a pup before them so they will naturally feel more protective over him.

 

Kris turned to look at Chanyeol and then back to Sanghyuk. “I don’t want to leave him, but I am a skilled warrior. You know this. I know this. He knows this.”

 

“I still…” Sanghyuk paused and bit his lip. He wondered if he was in the right place to critic Kris and his choices.

 

“He’ll have Minseok and Junmyeon with him.” Kris said. “And I want to ensure that I don’t have to worry about my pups’ future.”

 

“Threats will always be around. There’s only so much we can do.” Sanghyuk explained and felt Taekwoon nestle closer to his side.

 

“I know.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Taekwoon padded into the bedroom, drying his hair with a hand towel. He shook out his hair as he looked around the darkened room. He was thankful for his eyesight allowing him to see Sanghyuk nuzzling into the pillow, breathing heavily.

 

It was right where Kangmin’s body was resting earlier that morning. Taekwoon could only imagine what was going through Sanghyuk’s mind as he wasn’t telling him everything. That wasn’t surprising since Sanghyuk didn’t want to worry or stress him out any more.

 

He settled on the bed beside Sanghyuk and rested his arm around Sanghyuk. “Mate.” Sanghyuk turned to look at him, and Taekwoon’s heart clenched at the distressed and pain expression he wore. “It’ll be alright.”

 

As he pulled Sanghyuk close to him, he felt him nuzzle under his chin. It was a natural reflex for mates to curl and nuzzle into the other’s neck. For security from their mate but to also show that they’d protect their mate from whatever they can. Sanghyuk’s fingers curled into Taekwoon’s shirt and made it so that there was no space between their bodies.

 

“I hope it will.” Sanghyuk murmured and Taekwoon could hear the tears within it. “I don’t know what I’d do if it doesn’t work.”

 

Taekwoon rubbed his back and then adjusted them so they were both resting on the pillows. “Sanghyuk, you are stronger than you think.” His voice was merely a whisper but hoped Sanghyuk could hear the determination in it. “The pack will recover from this and will ultimately be fine.”

 

“How can you be so sure?”

 

Taekwoon knew Sanghyuk as a strong wolf and so witnessing him break down was unsettling. He pressed against Sanghyuk and nuzzled his chest. “Because our pack is strong and powerful. None of you will ever let this thing happen without there being consequences.”

 

Sanghyuk leaned forward and let out a soft breath, it felt warm against Taekwoon’s lips. He raised a brow when their lips brushed against each other, hesitant and it didn’t suit the mood at all.

 

“Kissing me already?” Taekwoon asked breathily.

 

Sanghyuk took a deep breath, it was shaky and Taekwoon was glad for his decision. “Can’t I?”

 

“You’re too emotional.” Taekwoon argued. “Not when you are this upset, you may do something you may not want.”

 

Taekwoon could feel Sanghyuk’s distress and need to be comforted. Sanghyuk adjusted himself to meet Taekwoon’s gaze evenly. The two wolves were silent as he felt Sanghyuk calm down and relax into the mattress. The stress and pain began to fade away and Taekwoon knew that anything he did now wouldn’t be because of his emotions running high.

 

“Taekwoon?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Can I kiss you?”

 

Taekwoon wondered if he was going to make this into a mistake, but he knew that he was just going to be stretching this out. They are mates, and he smiled at Sanghyuk.

 

“Yes.”

 

Taekwoon watched Sanghyuk closely as he saw the mix of emotions that ran across Sanghyuk’s face. A sound emerged from deep within Sanghyuk’s throat and he lowered down to brush their lips together. It was a way to give Taekwoon the option to back away if he wanted to. The white wolf curled his fingers into Sanghyuk’s shoulder and pressed deeper.

 

That switched something in Sanghyuk’s brain because he leaned in deeper. One hand came to interlock with Taekwoon’s free hand, and the other played with the tips of his hair. The kiss was lethargic, the effort to keep it going was draining on the both of them.

 

Taekwoon didn’t want the kiss to end as it gave the both of them a sense of comfort that they both desired and needed. However it did need to end so Taekwoon pulled away and let his eyes flutter open to study Sanghyuk’s face. His mate cracked his eyes open ever so slightly.

 

Taekwoon whined, which stopped Sanghyuk from moving any further from him.

 

“Taekwoon, I’m not going anywhere yet.” Sanghyuk murmured, running his fingers through Taekwoon’s hair.

 

“But you are going tomorrow.” Taekwoon whimpered, clutching the shirt.

 

“I know sweetheart.”

 

Taekwoon took a deep breath, knowing that the lingering after scents of his heat was still in the air. As noted by the sweeter tinge to the room, but there was an underlying current of something stronger and more like the pine and snow that Sanghyuk’s scent was known for. It had become clearer with a slight change with possessiveness underneath it.

 

A shive ran down Taekwoon’s spine as he studied Sanghyuk’s face closer. He had witnessed male wolves go into ruts, even Alphas from time to time but each one was different but had never had it directed towards himself.

 

Is that what is happening to Sanghyuk?

 

Seemed like it.

 

Sanghyuk leaned forward the sniff at Taekwoon’s neck, who turned his head to give him room. The Alpha let out a soft rumble from deep within his chest at the action, and Taekwoon wondered if he overstepped his boundaries but was put to ease when Sanghyuk pressed his nose against his neck. Breathing out soft warm air against the sensitive skin.

 

Taekwoon squirmed at the sensation, as he was incredibly ticklish on his neck. He didn’t want to move around too much, just in case it irritated Sanghyuk. Moving wouldn’t actually irritate him as Sanghyuk was very placid and getting aggressive isn’t something he’s known for.

 

Taekwoon wasn’t even sure if he’d be totally okay with Sanghyuk being aggressive towards him.

 

Sanghyuk buried his head into Taekwoon’s hair and breathed out. His arms tightened around the white wolf’s lithe body, tugging him close. Taekwoon let out a soft chirp and nuzzle his face into Sanghyuk’s neck. A soft rumbling purr emitted from Sanghyuk and Taekwoon smiled softly.

 

He never really knew male Alphas could purr. Females could because he knew from his sisters, but purring was never something the male Alphas he met liked.

 

The pair drifted off into a peaceful slumber. Wrapped in each other’s scents and arms. This could very well be the last time they saw each other for a while.

 

Taekwoon didn’t know when they’d return after tomorrow.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Kangmin dug his fingers into the dirt ground inside the building, his Alpha instincts flaring up within him.

 

While it originally freaked him out, he managed to push past it to focus on the current moment. With Sanghyuk and Haebin being his siblings, both also true Alphas and Sanghyuk being the heir, Kangmin never felt the urge to succumb to his Alpha side. It helped his behave and come off as a pleasant child to anyone, even Sanghyuk.

 

Even though Kangmin’s wolf barely reached Sanghyuk’s wolf stomach, including the head at full height.

 

So yeah, Sanghyuk’s sheer size was intimidating to anyone in their right mind.

 

Sanghyuk was about seven feet, and he wasn’t even fully grown since he would increase in size again once he took over the pack after their parents. He was already an intimidating foe to meet in battle, and he’d be almost eight months once he became the actual Alpha.

 

Kangmin growled and shifted into his wolf form to try and be intimidating. Just because he was still small in stature doesn’t mean he can’t actually be a threat and danger. He was still trained to be an Alpha after all. He would be similar size to Haebin at under seven feet, though his sister hasn’t finish growing yet. Alphas keep growing until they are twenty-five but are pretty much fully grown at twenty.

 

“The punk thinks he’s intimidating.” A wolf sneered at the young Alpha.

 

Hackles rising, the growl that Kangmin let out sent shivers down his pack mates’ bodies. Even the wolves from the sister pack were taken aback, Kangmin never growled out loud towards anyone. Their Betas had been murdered when the Night Walkers managed to take the pack, killing their standing Alphas once they returned to the territory.

 

It had left the pack pretty much broken and fractured.

 

However, when Kangmin arrived, they managed to pull themselves together. As the only Alpha and technically the highest ranking wolf of his pack, it was his responsibility to try and keep his pack protected.

 

Except for the fact he had little training in that department.

 

Not that these wolves needed to know that fact.

 

“He is the least intimidating wolf I have ever met.” The Alpha of the raiding pack sneered before he began to laugh maliciously.

 

Kangmin was thankful that only his packmates could sense his fear. He was only a pup after all, if this other Alpha attacked him he’d stand no chance in a fight at all. These wolves had no right attacking his pack – they were Sanghyuk’s pack but the point still stands.

 

He curled his lips back to bare his teeth when one wolf stepped forward.

 

“Don’t you dare.” One of his wolves growled out in warning.

 

One of the Night Walkers wolves looked towards his Alpha. “Maybe we should leave…”

 

The Alpha let out a snarl at him and before any of them could react, the Alpha leaped at him. Claws raising and striking his throat slightly causing blood to splatter against the ground as the other wolf coughed. Everyone was silent as they watched the interaction.

 

“Don’t you dare tell me what to do!” The Alpha roared over his wounded packmate, causing Kangmin to look away and back to his own pack.

 

His reaction was ridiculous. In order to have a happy and loyal pack, then the Alpha must be ready and willing to accept that their packmates would have their own ideas for the pack. It’s why ranks can change if the Alphas feel like the current ones there are unworthy of those positions. That doesn’t mean they don’t have ideas as all of them must be willing to talk and communicate to each and every member.

 

Alphas don’t rule with fear.

 

“I know that sir.” The wolf was scared but tried to keep his voice even. Kangmin had to pride him on that. “But, I think we should leave him alone.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“He may be the youngest Moon Shadows Alpha.”

 

Silence.

 

Kangmin’s body tensed and he saw the older wolves jump to their paws, falling into defensive stances. Ready to jump to protect their Alphas’ pup if they have to. Kangmin let out a bark and they backed down but they didn’t fully relax. Nothing was going to make them relax until these stranger wolves were gone and far away from their territory.

 

While they were still defensive, Kangmin really didn’t want this to become messy like Kangmin was fearing it may become.

 

His pack was several wounded, so they may not win a fight if it came down to it. However, they may not considering they have their Alpha’s pup with them. Their desire to protect him would be the push they’d need to win a fight.

 

With his packmates backing down at his bark, proved the other wolf’s suggestion as to who Kangmin was in Moon Shadows.

 

Kangmin sensed the other Alpha looking at him and turned to face him directly.

 

“That does seem to indeed be the case.” The Alpha’s smile was twisted and Kangmin had the strong urge to curl in on himself.

 

Except, Sanghyuk never trained him to back down from a potential fight.

 

“Unlike your demonic pack, we value every member.” Luhan growled from where he was protecting Felix as he pushed himself to the front. “Even if he wasn’t our Alpha you shouldn’t expect to turn a blind eye if you lay a finger on him!”

 

The older Alpha sneered. “Your pack is weak.”

 

“Better than your backwards ideals for your own pack!” Luhan growled.

 

“And who has won here?”

 

“We have.” Kangmin heard one of his packmates declare with a sense of satisfaction in their voice. “You have the child of our Alphas. You’d be crazy to assume that they’d let this slide.”

 

“I’m not scared of your weak Alphas.” The Alpha snarled.

 

“You should be.”

 

The Alpha snorted and turned away. “Well, let them come. We’ll be expecting their arrival and waiting for them to show their faces.”

 

At the Alpha’s smirk, Kangmin could feel the worry and concern that his packmates couldn’t hide. The feelings washed over him and Kangmin felt tears spring to his eyes. Luhan grabbed the back of his scruff and tugged him back towards everyone else.

 

Kangmin bared his teeth in a silent snarl but no one took any notice of him as they reached the door.

 

“Well, let’s hope we can just force them to give that white wolf over. Leo is ours after all.”

 

The Alpha’s words lingered in the air, even after the door slammed shut behind them. Kangmin felt his body lock up in a tense moment as he processed the words.

 

White wolf.

 

Leo?

 

Was that Taekwoon’s original name?

 

It definitely seemed like it.

 

Taekwoon suits him better. Kangmin decided. But Taekwoon doesn’t belong to anyone. I guess you could say he belongs to Sanghyuk but mates are a partnership not an ownership. Every sensible wolf knows that.

 

Well, Sanghyuk would come. Kangmin knew his brother well. Sanghyuk wasn’t going to let this go without any consequences.

 

That wasn’t Sanghyuk’s way after all.

 

Yongseung snorted, raising his head. “He better not let Sanghyuk overhear him say that. Taekwoon’s heat may be ending but Sanghyuk is still going to be more affected by it and it’s only a matter of time before his rut hits. Add on us being in danger and his pack harmed, nothing is gonna be able to keep his Alpha side in check.”

 

“Taekwoon?” Someone else asked.

 

“Leo.” Kangmin shifted back and shook his head to mess up his hair a little. He ran his hands down his clothes, not caring about the dried blood on the material. “Taekwoon is his new name and no one can know about it though. He never spoke and hated his original name.”

 

“Understandable.”

 

“If we were Taekwoon we’d hate our original name too.”

 

“At least if we say Taekwoon then no-one will expect it to actually be the same person. Seems like they are under the belief that they will be able to get him.”

 

Felix looked at Kangmin as the fear began to leave his body and snickered. “That Alpha won’t know what hit him.”

 

Kangmin had to agree with Felix’s words. Sanghyuk wasn’t someone who many people assumed was a danger or threat. Even if there was a wolf that was close to Sanghyuk’s size, his brother was fast and agile, making him a formidable opponent towards anyone.

 

Kangmin could hear his packmates discuss the option of giving up land but he refused to let that be an option. Their pack was proud of the size of their territory and being able to hold it for generations, so they aren’t likely to just give up territory to a random wolf pack that tried to take out an entire sister pack.

 

He looked out one of the windows as he rested with Felix and Sakang. His best friends sought comfort from their Alpha but Kangmin felt weak and unable to do anything other than just be there.

 

He hoped his brother would get here soon.

 

After all, he wasn’t sure how long they’d last but nothing would be able to stop his family.