Acceptance Is The Key

Under The Full Moon

Taekwoon groaned as he rolled over on the bed, hand the pillowcase beside his face. It had been almost a week since Sanghyuk and the others had gone, and Taekwoon could tell the pack was beginning to get tense.

 

They had heard Sanghyuk’s howl a few days ago that had relaxed everyone for a little while anyway.

 

Now they were worried again.

 

Taekwoon huffed as he flickered his eyes open and stared at the empty space beside him.

 

The bed felt so empty and a sense of dread filled Taekwoon’s body. Burying his head into the pillow, he stifled a sob and could feel his pheromones curling around and through the room.

 

He didn’t want to bring the pack morale down but he couldn’t help with how he was feeling. He knows Night Walkers and that even killing Kole would not sway his Betas. They probably would’ve left to avoid getting caught sneaking around to get Taekwoon’s father.

 

He remembered his name of old which caused him to flinch and curl into himself even more.

 

Leo.

 

The name brought disgust to his mind and filled his mouth with venom at the idea that Sanghyuk would be told of his old name. He had no ties to that name anymore.

 

Leo was connected with a time of despair and hatred towards himself and everyone around him. A time of fear and despair.

 

Now, Taekwoon.

 

That name was connected with Moon Shadows of peace and comfort, and the ability to be himself without the fear of getting punished. It was the name Sanghyuk gave him and he’d rather die than go back to being called Leo.

 

He sighed and his ear twitched at the sound of footsteps approaching the room.

 

Miyong poked her head into the room, her expression was soft and concerned for Taekwoon. Taekwoon wasn’t even sure if he deserved it.

 

“Taekwoon, dear, what is it?” Miyong asked.

 

Taekwoon shrugged and tugged the blanket over his shoulders. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Why? You haven’t done anything wrong.” Miyong stepped into the room and Taekwoon didn’t really know how to feel.

 

Sanghyuk’s parents very rarely entered the room, always asking to ensure that Taekwoon was comfortable though with Sanghyuk there was less hesitance. He realised that his pheromones must’ve been really distressing for Miyong to not ask.

 

Taekwoon shifted and allowed Miyong to sit on the edge of the bed, her fingers running through his hair and he briefly remembered a very faint memory of his mother who would do the same thing to him. Especially when his father would yell and Taekwoon would shrink away out of fear.

 

“Taekwoon?” Miyong asked, sensing that Taekwoon probably didn’t want to talk but knowing that he should talk.

 

“I…I am the reason your sister pack was attacked.” Taekwoon whispered, resting his head on her lap.

 

“No, you’re not.” Miyong said and Taekwoon felt bad for misleading them for the entire time that they allowed him to live with them and accept him into their pack.

 

“I am though.” Taekwoon wanted to shout and jerk himself up but only shrunk in on himself.

 

“How are you so sure that you are the cause.”

 

At least she was allowing him to talk and give his side.

 

Taekwoon sighed. “Night Walkers has my sister as the mate of their alpha, though I doubt that is the case now. But Kole, their old Alpha, wanted me in his pack but I refused to join them. He hated it and…”

 

He choked up but Miyong’s fingers messaged his head, calming him down immensely and almost immediately.

 

“You don’t have to talk about it but I can see where you are coming from.” Miyong reassured. “Night Walkers sided with your father to attack our pack to try and get to you while also trying to attack us. The Alphas of Moon Shadows.”

 

Taekwoon just nodded. That was the general gist of it all.

 

“Have you spoken to Sanghyuk?” It was a pointless question, clearly Taekwoon knew that Miyong knew the answer to that but wanted him to say it himself.

 

“Yes.”

 

“What has he said about it all?”

 

Taekwoon shrugged. “I…I forgot the conversation but he basically said that it was their issue and had nothing to do with me.”

 

“Then he is right.” Miyong said, lifting Taekwoon’s face and holding it in her hands. “You should trust yourself more, Taekwoon. This is your pack and everyone here accepts and loves you. You are able to help bring the mood up within the ranks even without being mated to Sanghyuk, and you have to acknowledge that you are more than what you think.”

 

Taekwoon felt tears fill his eyes and Miyong wiped them away with a soft smile.

 

“Trust yourself, Taekwoon. You are an Alpha even though you were told that you could never be that as you were raised.”

 

The younger bowed his head and his ears laid back but he had a small smile on his face.

 

“Thank you, Alpha.”

 

A soft chuckle came from the door way and they turned to look at Juwon who was resting against the doorframe.

 

“You are an Alpha as well, no need to call us such.” Juwon said and Miyong stood up and pushed Taekwoon’s hair back out of his face. “However, Sanghyuk and the rest should be getting back today so, rest up.”

 

Taekwoon perked up. “How do you know?”

 

“We know our son and he wouldn’t want to spend any longer away from you.” Juwon said and chuckled. “You have that boy whipped and wrapped around your finger, Taekwoon.”

 

Taekwoon blushed and turned away but said his thanks before the two eldest Alphas left the room. He smiled and buried his head into the pillow.

 

Sanghyuk was coming back home.

 

He couldn’t wait.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Taekwoon leaned on the railing outside of the house, looking at Juwon and Miyong who were talking with Daejung and Chiun.

 

The sun was barley over the horizon and the glow on the buildings and plants, and random animals that walked through the town, had casted a sense of enchantment and awe.

 

Taekwoon just rested his head on his arms, focused on the main entrance that certainly the group would entre through since that was the best way to enter the town. He could hear Haebin and Holland talking between each other but didn’t feel the desire to join them in on their conversation.

 

He could’ve. He knew that they were talking about hunting the nearby deer and he had his own suggestions but was too focused on waiting for Sanghyuk to think about anything else.

 

A howl rumbled through the air, causing everyone to perk up.

 

Taekwoon flicked his ears and heard Solmi yell out. “Sungjae!”

 

He saw the siblings reunite, Sungjae clutching his sisters while also trying to push away from them.

 

Taekwoon smiled at the sight, it brought a sense of relief and comfort to the entire pack. He could feel that even from where he stood, his ears pulled forward to try and see everyone.

 

That is when he saw Sanghyuk slip to the front of the group and run towards the building, making a motion towards Sungjae and Wonshik who nodded to him. To turning to Chonghui and points her towards the very wounded wolves.

 

The healer nodded and ushered the more wounded wolves into the hospital. Barking at her pups who were shocked and they jumped to assist their mother.

 

Someone shifted behind Sanghyuk that wasn’t Kangmin, considering Sanghyuk’s baby brother was by his side. Sticking close to him in an attempt to hide away but the person behind Sanghyuk was trying to shrink in on herself.

 

“Sanghyuk!” Miyong and Juwon approached their son. “Is…Is everyone alright?”

 

Sanghyuk nodded and smiled at his parents and Haebin and Holland before they tackled him into a hug. Taekwoon resisted the urge to do so.

 

He’d have Sanghyuk to himself that night, unless Kangmin crawls into their bed again. But anyway, he’d be able to spend time with Sanghyuk later.

 

“We are alright. Night Walkers need to be watched and separated into the sister packs but most are too severely injured and distrustful to be a threat.” Sanghyuk said, managing to get Haebin and Holland off him who turned to Kangmin.

 

His parents sighed and nuzzled their son. “We’re glad you are alright, son.”

 

“I’m glad to be back.” Sanghyuk smiled weakly.

 

He pulled back from his parents. “The Betas of Night Walkers…I doubt they’d let the fact go that their abusive Alpha had died and will probably find Brayden to join him. Point out any weaknesses they might’ve caught and relay it back to him.”

 

Daejung growled. “We’ll inform the sister packs near Evening Pack to keep an eye out for them.”

 

Juwon nodded and turned to Daejung. “We should send out a hunting party. We have more mouths to feed and any physically capable wolves should be taken to a sister pack to reside there in order to recover.”

 

Taekwoon was still amazed at how quickly the pack reacted to Juwon’s words and Holland said that he’d go to a sister pack with a few of the healthier wolves. He would be fine and the six wolves who would be going with him refused to even do anything that showed that they’d attack him.

 

The female stepped from behind Sanghyuk and Taekwoon almost cried out when he saw two children standing by her side, clutching her pants and being shy towards the Alpha family in front of them.

 

“Yuni!”

 

Taekwoon leaped down to hug his sister who let out a cry of her own to return the hug, turning to bury her head into his shoulder. Taekwoon let out a sob as he felt his body shake.

 

It had been years since he last spoke and saw her and man…She looked worse for wear and he was horrified at what Kole had done to her. The children must be her pups with Kole.

 

“My baby brother.” Yuni whispered. “You are alright, they told me that you were but I didn’t believe them.”

 

That was understandable really. Yuni had no sense of what a good mate was like so he couldn’t blame her for distrusting Sanghyuk.

 

“Moon Shadows has taken care of me so much that I can’t ever think of repaying them.” Taekwoon murmured. “Though they say I have with being mates to Sanghyuk.”

 

“Are you mates?” Yuni asked, pulling back slightly and Taekwoon felt his cheeks heat up but shook his head.

 

They weren’t. He wasn’t expecting anything for a little while more anyway. Their relationship hasn’t properly settled.

 

Also, Haebin told him a few days ago that there is a courtship ritual that all couples go through but with Alphas it is the most important one. It is difficult to break the mating once the courtship starts and both parties are accepting.

 

So, Taekwoon would be expecting a courtship ritual start in a few days, as also pointed out by Haebin. She informed him that the clear start of the courtship is obvious, and it is mostly about gifts – often hunting for their desired mate.

 

Sanghyuk walked around the siblings and looking at his parents. “This is Yuni, Taekwoon’s oldest sister who was the ‘mate’ of Kole – calling her such is such a sickening thing considering that Kole had mistreated her so terribly.”

 

Yuni looked at Juwon and Miyong and stiffened but relaxed when Miyong approached her with a soft smile.

 

“Hello, Yuni.” Miyong greeted. “I am Miyong, the Alpha alongside my mate Juwon. The mother of Sanghyuk, Kangmin and Haebin, and our adopted child, Holland.”

 

Yuni smiled. “Hello, Alpha.” She motioned towards her pups. “This is Juan and Dasia. My son and daughter.”

 

The two children waved at the Alphas but remained behind their mother.

 

Yuni smiled at them. “Juan, Dasia, this is your uncle, Taekwoon.” The two pups looked at Taekwoon who suddenly felt warmth fill him.

 

Maybe he hadn’t known his nephew and niece before this moment that meant nothing. Now that they would be living in the same pack, he could watch them grow and mature. Help guide them alongside their pack mates.

 

Sanghyuk hummed and Taekwoon glanced at him.

 

“Sanghyuk?” He asked and turned to fully face him.

 

“Don’t worry. I just have an idea.” Sanghyuk smiled and Taekwoon just raised an eyebrow but didn’t question him. Sanghyuk wouldn’t do anything to stupid – would he?

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“How did you know that would work?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Taekwoon shot Sanghyuk a pointed look as they stood outside the Alpha house, pressed together as they stared at the pups running through the town. Water plashing echoed through the air as the clouds seemed to break in the sky but the air was still calm and pleasant.

 

“You know what I mean.”

 

Sanghyuk tilted his head back. “Moon Shadows are accepting and Night Walkers have fully joined our ranks. I knew that would work.”

 

Taekwoon rolled his eyes. “Okay, I was surprised by that as well but not what I was referring to.”

 

Ears pulled forward and Sanghyuk seemed to purr lowly at Taekwoon. “Then what, love?”

 

Taekwoon blushed at the nickname and huffed. “I mean between Yuni and Eunkwang.”

 

“Oh.” Sanghyuk seemed surprised before turning to face the said pair who were talking between each other. “Eunkwang…he has his own children, you know that after all. He is recovering from a broken heart involving Solmi who is being courted by Wonshik.”

 

“So, you put him with my sister?” Taekwoon sounded more aggressive than he intended but Sanghyuk wasn’t bothered by his tone.

 

“They have pups the same age and to help ease Yuni into the life.” Sanghyuk said and looked towards the Beta house. “Anyone can tell that Wonshik and Solmi are mates now. They just need to finalise the entire thing.”

 

Taekwoon nodded but still wondered why Sanghyuk thought it would be a good idea to have Eunkwang and Yuni together.

 

Sanghyuk turned to face Taekwoon and wrapped his arms around him, pulling the younger to his chest.

 

“I know you worry about your sister, my mate.” Sanghyuk murmured. “I explained the entire situation to both Yuni and Eunkwang. Eunkwang is a lovely wolf and would treat Yuni properly and help raise Juan and Dasia alongside Sakang and Aara. Both agreed to the entire thing and they didn’t have to.”

 

Taekwoon sighed and rested his head on Sanghyuk’s shoulder, his tail twitching slightly. “I know but…Do they even care for each other?”

 

“They do.” Sanghyuk reassured, pulling back to rest their foreheads together. “It may not be love but they do care for each other, you can’t deny that.”

 

Taekwoon nodded.

 

“I know.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Another few days passed before Taekwoon and Sanghyuk’s heat and rut, respectively, had passed without any more hitches.

 

Sanghyuk played with the ends of Taekwoon’s hair as he watched the other read one of the books. He was surprised that Taekwoon hadn’t read many of the books before but now he was certain that it was because he hadn’t been trained in reading.

 

He leaned towards Taekwoon and kissed the back of his neck, wrapping his arm around Taekwoon’s waist. Humming in the back of his throat as he closed his eyes in contentment.

 

“Sanghyuk?”

 

Taekwoon’s voice was soft and Sanghyuk heard him close the book before placing it on the bedside table.

 

“Yes, my mate?” Sanghyuk cracked open an eye when he rolled over to face the older.

 

Taekwoon his lips and Sanghyuk followed the action but snapped his gaze up to Taekwoon who looked conflicted and worried.

 

“Taekwoon, what’s wrong?” Sanghyuk raised his hand to the soft skin of Taekwoon’s cheek.

 

Taekwoon shrugged but kept his gaze on Sanghyuk. “I…Haebin told me something while you were away.”

 

Sanghyuk hummed. He wasn’t surprised. Haebin liked to talk with anyone and Taekwoon was still mysterious to her, and honestly since he was going to be Sanghyuk’s mate she figured she should learn all she can about him.

 

“What about?”

 

“About…mates.” Taekwoon’s voice dropped. “More like the courtship rituals of Alphas…”

 

Oh.

 

Sanghyuk sighed. “I can imagine what you are thinking about and what your thoughts are saying but…I…We were still in heat and rut so I didn’t want to do anything, especially making sure that our pack has settled down and no-one was going to do anything wrong.”

 

Taekwoon looked guilty as he whispered. “I know, I was just worried that…”

 

He couldn’t say anything any more before Sanghyuk pressed their lips together, drawing Taekwoon closer to his body. Taekwoon whimpered at the action before returning the kiss and threading his fingers through Sanghyuk’s hair.

 

The younger ached into Sanghyuk’s touch and Sanghyuk could only chuckle at the action.

 

“Don’t be worried, my mate.” Sanghyuk mumbled against Taekwoon’s lips. “I was just waiting, Taekwoon. Waiting for the best time to actually start the entire thing.”

 

Taekwoon sighed as Sanghyuk kissed him again. Sanghyuk felt Taekwoon’s fingers dig into his shoulder. Sanghyuk huffed before rolling over to lean over Taekwoon and broke the kiss to stare down at him.

 

“Should I be expecting it soon?” Taekwoon asked.

 

Sanghyuk nodded and dropped himself onto his elbows to nuzzle Taekwoon’s neck. He keened in his throat and arched his neck to give Sanghyuk more access to the patch of skin.

 

Sanghyuk growled deeply at the action and pressed a heavy kiss to the skin. His fingers curled beside Taekwoon’s head and he felt Taekwoon turn to nuzzle into his hand. The Alpha growled again and placed his other hand on Taekwoon’s, keeping it pinned to the mattress.

 

Taekwoon was surprised by Sanghyuk’s actions but only trilled and purred without complaining about the current situation.

 

His tail flicked and curled around Sanghyuk’s.

 

Taekwoon turned to flicker his gaze at Sanghyuk who was now mouthing down Taekwoon’s neck and to his shoulder, a shiver running through his body. Sanghyuk purred.

 

“I like honey glazed deer.” Taekwoon spoke and Sanghyuk chuckled deeply.

 

“Really?” He raised his head to shoot Taekwoon an exasperated but loving look. “Right now?”

 

“Haebin said Alpha Courtships start with the presentation of food that their potential new mate likes.” Taekwoon grinned. “It would be embarrassing if you couldn’t give me what I really like.”

 

“I was expecting fruit or something akin to that nature.”

 

Sanghyuk laughed at Taekwoon scandalised look. His mate pushed his shoulder and he allowed himself to be pushed onto his back, making a soft noise. Taekwoon swung himself onto Sanghyuk’s lap, resting his hands on Sanghyuk’s chest.

 

Taekwoon looked smug and amused and Sanghyuk wondered where this conversation was going.

 

“Well, if I am to properly accept your courtship then you should prove to me that you are able to hunt and take care of me.” Taekwoon tilted his head up with a grin.

 

Sanghyuk raised his eyebrows. “Are you insinuating that I can’t hunt?”

 

“You’ve never given me food.”

 

“Yes I have. When you first arrived.” Sanghyuk pointed out, resting his hands on Taekwoon’s thigh.

 

Taekwoon shrugged. “Pretty normal considering the circumstances. But, no food has been given recently.”

 

Sanghyuk groaned but made sure he met Taekwoon’s eyes. “Oh? I just need to give you honey glazed deer right? All you want?”

 

Taekwoon blinked, surprised by Sanghyuk’s question. “But…Isn’t the start of the courtship…?”

 

“Only involves food but if I am going to court you I want to do it right. Is there anything you want? I’ll give you whatever you may want.”

 

Taekwoon hummed lowly and tilted his head to stare at Sanghyuk. His ears twitched and Sanghyuk reached up to scratch behind an ear. Taekwoon trilled, tilting his head which allowed Sanghyuk to admire the marks along Taekwoon’s neck.

 

“But, I can’t do it all the way yet, my love.” Sanghyuk said which prompted Taekwoon to let out a confused noise. “Because of your father.”

 

Taekwoon pulled away and growled. “Why is that an issue?”

 

Sanghyuk pushed himself up into a sitting position and kept Taekwoon close to him. “Baby, my mate, my love, darling, trust me and believe me. I want to, really I do, so much.”

 

“Then why won’t you?” Taekwoon whimpered and buried his head into Sanghyuk’s neck and shoulder junction.

 

“Because I don’t want to run the risk of your father tearing us apart.” Sanghyuk whispered as he pressed a soft kiss to Taekwoon’s neck. “Or forcing us to accept him, since our reputation can be tarnished if we refuse.”

 

Taekwoon said nothing but Sanghyuk could tell that he understood but was still bitter about the entire thing.

 

Sanghyuk kissed Taekwoon’s jaw, startling him. “However, that won’t stop me. I will prove myself as a good mate to you.”

 

“I expected nothing less from you.” Taekwoon giggled at the feeling of Sanghyuk tracing patterns on his side and the nose against his neck.

 

Sanghyuk chuckled. “Well, I’d hope not. I don’t want you to think that I don’t love you.”

 

“You do love me.” Taekwoon smiled at Sanghyuk who sighed in happiness at the statement.

 

Sanghyuk pressed a sweet kiss to his lips. “Yes. I love you, and honestly I don’t know when I did but it happened slowly.”

 

Taekwoon smiled. “I…I love you too.”

 

Sanghyuk grinned brightly before swinging them around so they laid facing each other. Their giggles were soft and relaxed the two. Sanghyuk kept the blanket tugged around them and smiled at Taekwoon who pressed against him.

 

The pheromones of love filled the room and it caused the pair to fall asleep with only the sound of each other’s breathing.

 

I love you and I won’t ever make you feel unloved, my mate.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“What the do you mean!?”

 

Kyle flinched away from Brayden’s snarl, his body bristling at the accusation.

 

Brayden hissed. “You let Kole die?!”

 

“Sanghyuk killed him.” Kyle argued. “We had no time to properly react and protect Kole.”

 

“The entirety of the pack had gone to join Moon Shadows. You lost everyone.”

 

“We know.”

 

Brayden leered over Kyle. “You couldn’t even kill the youngest Alpha.”

 

“Moon Shadows would’ve attacked all of us if we killed their youngest Alpha. We had killed the oldest Alpha and it had infuriated them to no end.” Kyle said.

 

Brayden hissed. “You lost my daughter.”

 

Kyle looked up at the Alpha before smirking. “But we found out about Leo.”

 

That caught Brayden’s attention as he turned to face the smug Kyle.

 

“How so?”

 

“Turns out that he is the mate of the heir to Moon Shadows.”

 

Brayden smirked to himself. This was perfect and brilliant, helping to guide Brayden to what he wants.

 

“Excellent.”