Don't Speak Too Easily *

Under The Full Moon

The sunlight streaked through the curtains. Sanghyuk let out a groan and rolled over to bury his face into Taekwoon’s soft hair, eyes being irritated by the sunlight. Using Taekwoon’s hair was a good way to get away from the strong light.

 

Hey, he also got to take in Taekwoon’s sweet scent even more.

 

Sanghyuk recalled how he had to explain to both of his parents, and his siblings that Taekwoon was going into heat. His parents were understandable to the entire thing while Holland promised to try and take up more of Sanghyuk’s outer territory duties.

 

Haebin teased Sanghyuk but when Taekwoon showed up, confused as to what was taking Sanghyuk so long, informed him that she will always be willing to help him with any questions. But that she doesn’t want any nieces or nephews just yet. Kangmin also added onto that embarrassing story line with a playful smirk but backed down when Sanghyuk growled at him.

 

Juwon and Miyong had ushered their youngest away with a promise to watch the pack because now they were relaxed and ready to turn back to their duties. Holland and Haebin spoke with Taekwoon and Sanghyuk a little longer before turning back to their duties.

 

Taekwoon was a bundle of curiosity but Sanghyuk had promised to not take their relationship further until both of them were positive that heats and ruts weren’t going to influence their choices. Taekwoon doubted that but shrugged and didn’t press the issue. Which he was thankful for.

 

He felt Taekwoon shift against him and Sanghyuk’s fingers curled into his waist to hold him in place. The younger wolf seemed like he was about to stir but Sanghyuk purred in his throat to calm him down. Taekwoon sighed into his arm and settled back down. One of his hands came down to curl around one of Sanghyuk’s.

 

Is Taekwoon feeling better? Sanghyuk cracked an eye open slightly.

 

The sunlight illuminated his entire room and he took in the sight of his room. The shadows casted across the far wall and his door and even Taekwoon was sheltered by shadows. At least the sun didn’t seem to irritate him that much.

 

He in a deep breath of Taekwoon’s scent and hummed quietly, Taekwoon grumbled out incomprehensible words. Taekwoon’s scent was so delicious, honey mixed in with snow and violets, which was so intoxicating that made Sanghyuk want to lean in and kiss him. Sanghyuk snapped at his wolf, anything that was rash mat cause Taekwoon to pull away and potentially reject him.

 

This has to be a consensual act, and Sanghyuk hasn’t even asked Taekwoon if he could kiss him yet.

 

Mine. His wolf growled and his tail lashed from side to side, and Sanghyuk tugged Taekwoon closer who let out a soft confused noise. No-one can touch him.

 

Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Sanghyuk only rolled his eyes at his wolf’s words. He didn’t even know his wolf could be so possessive but then again he hadn’t been with Taekwoon before. His wolf growled but settled when Taekwoon’s scent washed over him.

 

The older Alpha stretched out his legs but then curled them around Taekwoon, tugging his legs up. He was pretty much curling around Taekwoon by this point. Sanghyuk realised that Taekwoon’s scent was safe and comfy, even going so far that even though his heat was in full fledge it wasn’t pushing Sanghyuk into craziness. The warmth from Taekwoon was even more soothing.

 

Man. I don’t want to wake up fully. Well, more like Sanghyuk didn’t want to get out of bed. With Taekwoon’s presence his bed was addicting.

 

A sound resonated from the hallway and his ears twitched. Hang on. That noise came from right outside his bedroom. His nose twitched as he caught the familiar scent of his younger brother.

 

Kangmin.

 

Sanghyuk let his eyes flutter open and then raised his head from Taekwoon’s hair to stare at his window. His tail flicked and curled around Taekwoon’s waist as he heard Kangmin’s feet scuff at the ground out of nervousness.

 

Kangmin was nervous about entering the room and that didn’t surprise Sanghyuk in the slightest.

 

He sighed and let his pheromones seep out into the hallway to let Kangmin know that he was alright to enter the room. Taekwoon shifted against him when he caught the whiff of Sanghyuk’s scent, nuzzling his face into the pillow as he breathed in deeply.

 

“Hyuk? What is it?”

 

“It’s Kangmin.”

 

Taekwoon turned to look over at him with sleepy and slightly opened eyes. “Is he going to come in?”

 

“Do you want him to?” Sanghyuk asked, letting his fingers play with the ends of Taekwoon’s hair.

 

“It’s your room.” Taekwoon pointed out and Sanghyuk chuckled softly.

 

“Isn’t it also your room at this point? You sleep here and people check my room if they want to find you instead of your old room.” Sanghyuk replied, pushing himself up onto his elbows and heard a soft thump as Kangmin leaned against the door. He was probably trying to listen in on their conversation.

 

“And? He’s your brother. He’s allowed in here.” Taekwoon argued.

 

Sanghyuk met Taekwoon’s gaze before sighing and leaning in to nuzzle Taekwoon’s neck. “Okay.”

 

Kangmin shifted away from the door, catching Sanghyuk and Taekwoon’s pheromones were allowing him to enter the room without fear of getting into any kind of trouble. So, when he was comfortable with the fact that he was in fact allowed in and wasn’t disrupting anything between the adults, he opened the door and let himself in.

 

Thankfully he was smart enough to close the door behind himself.

 

His footsteps were cautious as he approached the bed. “Brother?”

 

Sanghyuk turned and opened his eyes fully to see Kangmin hovering at the edge of the bed, not quite touching it but leaning back and forth. He was worried that Kangmin was going to make himself dizzy and also noticed that Kangmin was tugging on the sleeve of his shirt.

 

“Can…Can I join you?” Kangmin’s voice lowered out of nervousness. “I can’t fall back to sleep and I didn’t sleep well last night…and I don’t want to go to breakfast without some proper sleep.”

 

Sanghyuk leaned back and smiled lazily at him. “Is that so?” At Kangmin’s nod, Sanghyuk shifted and moved the blanket – trying to ignore the rush of cold air that brushed over him. “Okay then, get in.”

 

Kangmin perked up, his smile blinding as his tail flicked back and forth out of happiness. He climbed over Taekwoon’s body and thankfully the white wolf moved aside to let him in as well. Sanghyuk grunted when Kangmin fell down and on top of the two of them, his own tail curling around his younger brother.

 

“Why is your door closed?” Kangmin asked as he pressed an elbow into Sanghyuk’s side.

 

“Well, Taekwoon has gone through a heat, and scents can be overwhelming. Especially when they aren’t originally part of the pack.” Sanghyuk explained, shifting further aside to accommodate Kangmin better and Taekwoon huffed as he sensed Sanghyuk moving away.

 

“Like Jeonghan?”

 

“Yeah, just like him.”

 

Taekwoon hummed and rolled over onto his side to star at Kangmin who turned to face him as well. “Are you alright, Taekwoon?”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Taekwoon smiled and nuzzled into the pillow as Kangmin then climbed up the bed to lay right between the two adults. “I’m feeling better than I have all week, if I’m being honest.”

 

Kangmin fell forward and Sanghyuk barely had time to catch his brother before he landed forcefully on top of him. The young wolf curled up and rested his head on Sanghyuk’s chest and let his legs drape over Taekwoon. Kangmin nuzzled into the nook of Sanghyuk’s neck and even though Sanghyuk initially growled it changed into a soft purr.

 

Taekwoon chuckled softly as Kangmin also purred and closed his eyes in contentment.

 

“Seriously, Kangmin? Was this necessary?” Sanghyuk asked as he moved himself and stretched out one of his arms to let Taekwoon cuddle closer to him.

 

“Nope.” Kangmin popped the ‘p’ but said nothing else to add onto his comment.

 

Sanghyuk sighed and gave Taekwoon a look that said, ‘can you believe him?’ and his mate could only laugh and then curled to tuck his head under Sanghyuk’s chin. Sanghyuk huffed and then turned to bury his face into Taekwoon’s hair. Kangmin whined out a complaint of being ignored and tugged at Sanghyuk’s shirt but settled when Sanghyuk rested his hand on his side.

 

“By the way.” Kangmin spoke up after a few minutes of silence. “Mum and dad wanted us to join them for breakfast but I was too tired.”

 

“Breakfast?” Taekwoon perked up, ears flicking from side to side.

 

“Yeah with the pack.” Kangmin said. “Well, a few of the pack members but they get really loud and I’m so tired.”

 

“Well, we can’t get up anyway.” Sanghyuk sighed dramatically. “You are heavy.”

 

Kangmin pushed himself up and his ears laid back. “No, I’m not!”

 

“You kind of are.”

 

“You’re being mean!”

 

“Just saying the truth.”

 

“Mate.” Taekwoon’s voice was quiet and soft but was still stern, catching Sanghyuk attention.

 

“Yes, Taekwoon?” Sanghyuk held back a sigh as he knew what was coming so he didn’t know why he decided to ask for clarification.

 

Taekwoon gave him a pointed look. “Leave your brother alone.”

 

“Don’t worry, I’m just messing with him.” Sanghyuk said but sighed aloud this time. “I will.”

 

“Ha!” Kangmin laughed loudly.

 

“Great, now my brother has you on his side.” Sanghyuk wasn’t actually bothered by it. He was glad that Taekwoon had grown to love his family as much as his family grew to love him.

 

Taekwoon smiled. “Well of course. I support the best.”

 

“You’re on your own brother!” Kangmin cheered, but kept his voice low, aware of how close he was to their ears.

 

“Here I thought I was your mate, Taekwoon.” Sanghyuk said dramatically as he shut his eyes, ignoring the smug look of Kangmin and the amused look in Taekwoon’s eyes.

 

Taekwoon just moved to nuzzle into Sanghyuk’s chest as Kangmin let out a disgusted noise. “You aren’t bothered by it so don’t complain.”

 

“I thought I’d be safe.” Kangmin whined dramatically as he stuck out his tongue. “So embarrassing to witness.”

 

Sanghyuk leaned up and cuffed Kangmin around his ears who just whined and burrowed into his neck. His breath coming out in a soft breath against his skin, Sanghyuk managed to keep himself from shaking and shivering at the sensation. The young wolf was settled between Sanghyuk and Taekwoon, and Sanghyuk noticed that Taekwoon was smiling warmly at him.

 

He could also smell Taekwoon’s happiness radiated off of him which also pleased Sanghyuk. The fondness that rolled off of them had caused Kangmin to sigh happily as his breathing evened out as he slipped into comfortable slumber.

 

Sanghyuk moved his arm to wrap around Kangmin and Taekwoon’s bodies to keep them close. Whatever may come, Sanghyuk didn’t really want them to move away from him. His eyes were droopy and he struggled to keep them open since everything felt so peaceful in the closed room.

 

His eyes slipped shut as sleep tugged back into its warm embrace.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Sanghyuk.”

 

“Sanghyuk.”

 

“ALPHA!”

 

Sanghyuk jerked awake, the yell and his jerk somehow didn’t stir or jostle Kangmin and Taekwoon who were still in deep sleep. Both of them still clung onto him and Sanghyuk’s eyes flickered around the room. His body tensed up as he expected a threat.

 

However, his fears will ill-founded.

 

Mina was leaning against the door, head tilted and a single brow raised. She made a motion with her hand towards Taekwoon and Kangmin. “I’m guessing this is why you three weren’t at breakfast.”

 

“Breakfast…?” Sanghyuk’s voice came out hoarse and cleared it to try and ease his throat. “Did the pack have breakfast together?”

 

“Sort of.” Mina said. “It was just breakfast between the major ranks, the warriors, hunters and scouts.”

 

“Yet you were there.”

 

“I was being a representation of the scouts, because you and Kangmin weren’t there so Holland was with your parents.” Mina explained which made sense.

 

While those breakfasts were uncommon, the Alphas typically had breakfasts with Betas and Deltas and occasionally the other higher ranks swung by. It gave them time to interact between each other as normally they didn’t really interact.

 

It seemed odd but that was the truth of any size packs. The Alphas don’t often interact one on one with their pack mates when it has nothing to do with their duties. It and Moon Shadows did their best to break that cycle but it was just something that was ingrained in the ranks of the pack.

 

“Were you worried?” Sanghyuk knew that the pack was worried about his lack of appearance the past week and hoped that missing this breakfast didn’t cause any more worry.

 

Mina blinked before laughing. “Absolutely not.”

 

That took Phoenix by surprise.

 

They weren’t worried?

 

“No?” Sanghyuk managed to get out.

 

Mina chuckled softly and shook her head. “Nope. Seriously. The pack knows Taekwoon went through heat and everyone just assumed you were here helping him; I think showing up without him would raise more eyebrows. Only the children were curious but the adults didn’t seem to care too much.”

 

Sweat ran down the back of Sanghyuk’s neck. Did the entire pack assume he and Taekwoon ed? Well, he doubted it, since there was no scent in the air about that fact.

 

“Uh…”

 

“Don’t worry, I think everyone knows that Taekwoon is actually an Alpha, or at least a Beta, Delta and Epsilon as their heats are similar.”

 

Sanghyuk just blinked and Mina sighed loudly. “I’m not surprised you aren’t responding. It’s a surprise to learn but why I’m here is to not say that. I brought food since we figured you three would be hungry.”

 

Sanghyuk shook his head, realising that he needed to speak up. “Thank you Mina.” He moved to get the food since he couldn’t see it at all, but could smell the food, and found out that he was unable to move. Taekwoon and Kangmin were pinning him to the bed and neither seemed to be ready to wake up. “I think I’m stuck.”

 

“Sounds like a personal problem.” Mina said as she briefly left the room. “Don’t worry, I’ll bring in the food to you.” Once she placed the tray on the bedside table she looked amused at him and stepped backwards out of the room. “Good luck Alpha~”

 

“Mina-“ Sanghyuk started but the door closed and he huffed, pushing out his bottom lip in mild annoyance.

 

Great. I’m stuck under my brother and mate and I have no idea how long this’ll last. It could last a small period of time or it could be for another hour.

 

With those thoughts Sanghyuk nudged Taekwoon, deciding that he would probably be the easiest to wake up. His fingers curling into Taekwoon’s shoulder and lightly shaking him. Taekwoon groaned and blinked his eyes sleepily, moving one of his arms that nudged against Kangmin.

 

The younger wolf might’ve been closer to be woken up than Sanghyuk thought since his eyes blinked open, squinting as he tried to ignore the brightness of the room.

 

Sanghyuk chuckled and adjusted himself. “Come on, wake up you two. We got breakfast delivered to us because of your laziness, Kangmin.”

 

Kangmin frowned and furrowed his brows. “What? I was tired so I fell back to sleep.”

 

“And we missed breakfast with majority of the pack.”

 

Sanghyuk didn’t mean to sound accusatory but it wouldn’t change the fact of what happened. Kangmin laid his ears back and Taekwoon pushed himself up in shock.

 

“What?” Taekwoon’s voice hitched and Sanghyuk looked over at the panic that swam through his aqua eyes. “Were they upset?”

 

“No.” Sanghyuk said reassuringly as he rubbed Taekwoon’s arm. “They weren’t surprised and sent Mina to give up a tray of food that they saved for us.”

 

Taekwoon opened his mouth and they closed it as he turned to look at the aforementioned tray on the table. He nodded as he understood that their actions weren’t going to get punished and even his pheromones relaxed in scent.

 

Sanghyuk decided to ignore the potential underlying knowledge that this would be something Taekwoon would’ve been punished for by his father and old pack. His wolf growled lowly but Sanghyuk managed to keep him down and quiet. Taekwoon was safe here and would begin to unlearn his past life the more he realised how different their lives really were.

 

Kangmin yawned and leaned back further. “What’s there to eat?”

 

“Normal food.” Taekwoon said before Sanghyuk could say anything, and then glanced over at the young wolf. His eyes narrowed slightly. “Kangmin, Sanghyuk’s wrist is still sore, don’t lean on it.”

 

Kangmin blinked and Sanghyuk was surprised since he didn’t even realise that there was a dull pain thumping from his wrist. Nor did he realise that Kangmin was leaning against it, exactly where the wound was.

 

His brother pulled away and rested against Taekwoon instead. “Sorry, Hyuk.”

 

“It’s fine.” Sanghyuk reassured and pushed up into a sitting position. “I didn’t realise until Taekwoon pointed it out.”

 

“I still feel bad.” Kangmin murmured as Taekwoon leaned forward to grab a pancake from the pile to give to Kangmin. “Mum and dad told me to be careful when playing with you.”

 

“And I’m glad for that.” Sanghyuk said, ruffling his hair that had messed up in his sleep. “You can be really loving can’t you.”

 

“Piss off.”

 

“Nah, still a brat.”

 

Taekwoon raised his eyebrows and laughed softly as Kangmin stuck his tongue out at Sanghyuk. Sanghyuk smirked and once more ruffled his hair, fingers threading through the locks and causing the hair to stand up. Kangmin shook his head but didn’t bother trying to smooth out his hair.

 

Sanghyuk felt the desire to kiss Taekwoon, as it had during Taekwoon’s heat but he still did nothing. He wanted to speak to Taekwoon about their relationship before he pushed for it to move forward. Yet, Taekwoon’s obvious love and care for the pack was really testing Sanghyuk’s resolve.

 

Though Sanghyuk was interested in eating, Taekwoon’s nudges had convinced him otherwise. Kangmin didn’t seem to mind too much since he chatted about anything and everything. Mostly things involving the antics and shenanigans that he and his friends participated in and what their punishments were when they were caught.

 

Taekwoon had chided him when he heard that Kangmin and Felix had accidentally ruined a few crops. Reminding the young Alpha that those crops were incredibly important to the pack. Kangmin looked guilty and mumbled that he and Felix were still in trouble about that and it was their own mistake for not realising where the two of them were messing around.

 

Once the food was done, Sanghyuk ushered Kangmin out with the request to take the trays to the kitchen. Kangmin scowled and grumbled quietly but settled when Sanghyuk lightly kissed his head. Taekwoon’s heat had warmed and settled Sanghyuk’s mind, making him even more parental to pups and children more so than previously.

 

The door closed behind Kangmin, as he also promised to change into proper day clothes. They needed to get out, the lack of sunlight had started to take its toll on Sanghyuk and Taekwoon during the past few days. Kangmin had cheered when Sanghyuk told him that their grandfather was going to be taking him and his friends out of the town.

 

Sanghyuk rested his head against the door, his fingers curling around the handle before falling to his side.

 

“Tired?” Taekwoon asked, one of his hands coming up to massage Sanghyuk’s shoulder. “You can still rest.”

 

“Nah, my muscles will be too sore if I do that.” Sanghyuk said, pushing away from the door and turning to face Taekwoon with somewhat dark eyes.

 

Taekwoon tilted his head back, eyes flickering over Sanghyuk’s face but then turns to face the room before moving to the dresser. He rummaged around in the clothes and changed right in front of Sanghyuk. The slightly older wolf stiffened, eyes narrowing and his tail froze in place. The clothes dropped to the ground and then Taekwoon tugged on his new clothes.

 

The white wolf paused, sensing the change and shift in the air as Sanghyuk’s pheromones settled around them. His ears flicked backwards and Taekwoon glanced briefly at Sanghyuk and a soft smile tugged at his lips.

 

“Problem, Alpha?” His voice lilted up and his eyes sparkled playfully.

 

Sanghyuk breathed out heavily before turning to put on some new clothes. “Don’t.”

 

Taekwoon tilted his head to the side and giggled as he fell backwards to perch on the edge of the bed. He picked at the blanket and turned his gaze away mostly as Sanghyuk changed. His new clothes were soft against Sanghyuk’s skin and he was disappointed that his clothes no longer smelt of Taekwoon.

 

A soft whine left his lips at this realisation.

 

“Sanghyuk?”

 

Sanghyuk shook his head and then shot a grin towards Taekwoon. “Don’t worry. It’s nothing.”

 

Taekwoon raised a brow, understanding that Sanghyuk wasn’t going to tell him everything but still not being pleased by the fact that Sanghyuk was actively keeping things from him. His leaned back, the shirt pooling in his lap and hanging off of his arms.

 

“It’s just that my clothes don’t smell like you anymore.” Sanghyuk said knowing that why he whined wasn’t really an issue.

 

The white wolf chuckled. “Really?”

 

“I’m just saying the truth.” Sanghyuk turned to him fully. “Plus, you look like you are more accepting of my clothes.”

 

“They are nearby and comfortable.” Taekwoon buried his face into Sanghyuk’s shirt and took a deep breath. Sanghyuk’s heart flipped and his stomach twisted as he watched Taekwoon drop the shirt and smile at him. “They also smell like you.”

 

“They suit you.” Sanghyuk’s voice had lowered and became darker with a hint of mild arousal.

 

Taekwoon’s eyes sparkled and as he opened his mouth, the door opened with a slam. Kangmin bounded in his ears perked up and his tail wagged excitedly. He launched himself onto Taekwoon’s lap and had managed to break the mood in less than half a second.

 

“Come on! What’s taking you so long? Mum said grandpa is going to be taking me and my friends out into the territory.” Kangmin said insistent.

 

“My friends and I.” Sanghyuk corrected. “And hang on, we were just about to leave before you burst in here unannounced again.”

 

Kangmin huffed and bounced to the door. “Come on!”

 

“Okay, okay.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

The light momentarily blinded Sanghyuk who winced as the rays struck his face. He shook his head to try and push his hair into his face to filter it. Taekwoon chuckled and pressed against his side, his tail curling around Sanghyuk. Sanghyuk sent him a small scowl but Taekwoon just laughed a little louder.

 

Kangmin looked back at them but shrugged and bounded down the stairs. His feet thudded on the ground and his tail wagged in pure excitement. Sanghyuk huffed as he watched Kangmin seem to burst from the seams.

 

“Grandpa!”

 

Kangmin rushed towards Songhyon and leaped at him who laughed at his antics. Songhyon ruffled Kangmin’s hair and let the child cling to his side and nuzzle into him.

 

“Hello, Kangmin. Excited to go back into the territory?” Songhyon asked though it was more of a rhetorical question and statement rather than an actual question.

 

It amused Sanghyuk that their grandfather would even ask it.

 

Songhyon looked up and saw Taekwoon and Sanghyuk approach him. His eyes grew soft. “I’m guessing Juwon and Miyong are still frazzled?”

 

Sanghyuk shrugged. “I’m not sure, but possibly. Mum and dad haven’t really said anything or indicated anything to me.”

 

“Fair enough.” Songhyon said. “It’s rare for these things to occur in any pack.”

 

Taekwoon stared at Sanghyuk and noticed that Sanghyuk’s lips were curled unpleasantly. His tail curled around Sanghyuk’s which caused the young Alpha to look over at him. He smiled weakly at him, trying to be reassuring and Sanghyuk returned it.

 

Songhyon turned to Taekwoon. “Are you alright Taekwoon?” Taekwoon nodded, slightly jerkily as he wasn’t expecting a question directed at him. “Don’t worry. I’m surprised as I thought you and Sanghyuk would stay inside for another day. Everyone can tell you were in heat so we all considered you’d want to wait until you were certain it was over.”

 

Sanghyuk recoiled back, body flushing and even Taekwoon froze and gaped at the older wolf.

 

Sanghyuk spluttered out. “We…I…We aren’t…Not…Not yet…We aren’t mates yet!”

 

Songhyon raised an eyebrow at his grandson who was struggling to compose himself. Taekwoon fluffed up his ears and tail but couldn’t find his own voice to argue with Songhyon’s implications. Nothing happened and Sanghyuk pursed his lips when he realised that he was fighting a lost battle.

 

Kangmin tugged on Songhyon’s shirt. “Grandpa. Can we go now?”

 

“Of course. You can go and get your friends. It would be best for them to join us.” Songhyon explained and Kangmin’s eyes lit up.

 

“Yes!”

 

“However, Yongseung and Hoyoung will be joining us. I may be good at watching you but even I can find it difficult to keep up with you in my old age.”

 

“You aren’t old.” Sanghyuk said quickly.

 

“As much as I appreciate your words, Hyuk.” Songhyon looked amused and pleased. “But I am old, you can’t argue with that.”

 

Kangmin grinned and rushed off to Felix, Mito and Harper. His friends turned to him and immediately the four of them began talking between each other, while it could be about getting out of town somehow Sanghyuk thought it could be about celebrities or TV shows. He chuckled when he saw Sakang, Aara and Suhwa race up to them, loudly stating they were excited to get out of town.

 

“I was going crazy!” Sakang declared.

 

“No you weren’t.” Suhwa said, rolling her eyes at him. “You are just being dramatic.”

 

“I am not.”

 

Aara raised a brow at her brother and then scoffed. “Then I am not your sister.”

 

Sakang stuck his tongue out at her but she only laughed at him in response.

 

Taekwoon looked at Sanghyuk, eyes soft but his lips were curled up into a small smile. “Are pups always like this?”

 

Sanghyuk made a face as he watched Kangmin pull his friends after him and Songhyon walk towards them. “This is nothing compared. But yes. They are.”

 

Taekwoon cooed. “They are cute.”

 

“Annoying.” Sanghyuk muttered and then noticed the awe-struck look on Taekwoon’s face. “But…Yeah, sometimes they are cute.”

 

Taekwoon raised an eyebrow. “You’re blushing.”

 

“No I’m not.”

 

“You sound like a pup.” Taekwoon teased, nudging him playfully.

 

Sanghyuk stuck out his tongue at him and then ducked his head to nuzzle Taekwoon’s head. “Pfft. Whatever. What if I am?”

 

“Here I was told and shown you were a strong Alpha.” Taekwoon giggled, voice lowering so just Sanghyuk could hear him.

 

“But I am a strong Alpha.” Sanghyuk’s voice shifted into a slight growl at the implication that Taekwoon wasn’t impressed by him.

 

He paused and then whispered. “But you’re also cute.”

 

“Am I Alpha?” Taekwoon asked, voice lilting as Sanghyuk stiffened.

 

Before Sanghyuk could say anything, Yongseung walked towards him. “Alpha.”

 

Sanghyuk looked over to see Hoyoung reaching Songhyon while Yongseung was staring directly at him. The younger wolf looked eagerly as his tail also raised up as his entire attention was focused on Sanghyuk. Focused on his words.

 

“Yes, Yongseung?”

 

“Hoyoung and I are able to join Songhyon in watching the pups outside of the town?”

 

“Didn’t you already discuss this?” Sanghyuk asked, confused as to why Yongseung would suddenly ask him for clarification. He knew this was going to happen. He heard it being discussed for crying out loud.

 

“Well, yeah.” Yongseung blushed, averting his gaze. “It’s just…Habit at this point. It is your baby brother after all.”

 

Sanghyuk snorted and stepped towards his packmate and then nudged their heads together. “It’s fine. Go on.”

 

Yongseung pulled away, nodding mutely as he hurried to join his best friend, old Alpha and the pups. They bounded around in circles, yapping like they always do.

 

Kangmin looked over at Sanghyuk, ears twitching. When Sanghyuk nodded, Kangmin let himself be pulled along by Harper who lead the group of town.

 

“You’re worried.”

 

Sanghyuk glanced over at Taekwoon who pressed against him. “Oh? How can you tell?”

 

“Your scent gives you away.” Taekwoon said and rested his chin on Sanghyuk’s shoulder.

 

“I…” He paused and stared back after the pups. “I don’t know…I’m worried about something happening. Regardless of how protected our territory is, anything can happen.”

 

Taekwoon hummed. “I understand that but you can’t always protect everyone. No matter how hard you try.”

 

“Well, like you said. I can always try.”

 

He looked back at Taekwoon who looked thoughtful. His ears twitched and then the younger pressed his nose into his neck, causing Sanghyuk to slightly squirm away. Taekwoon giggled quietly and Sanghyuk flicked him with his tail.

 

“Seriously?”

 

“Sanghyuk!”

 

Sanghyuk turned to see Hyeyeon approaching him with the brown wolf trailing behind her. Taekwoon stiffened, eyes widening as his mouth opened and closed in shock. The strange wolf also stopped in his tracks, ears laying back as his own shock settled into his body.

 

“Young Alpha.” The wolf murmured.

 

Taekwoon stepped backwards. “Du…Dustin?”

 

Dustin?

 

That’s his name?

 

The brown wolf tilted his head and then blinked. “Dustin?”

 

Taekwoon’s eyes filled with tears as he must’ve realised what happened to Dustin. Faster than what anyone else has ever seen or noticed.

 

“What did they do to you?” He approached him, hands raising but then he lowered them at the flinch that racked through Dustin’s body. “Dustin?”

 

“I’m not Dustin.” The wolf hissed quietly, eyes filling with tears of his own. “I don’t…I don’t know who that is.”

 

Taekwoon looked back at Sanghyuk who felt a frown settle on his face. There was no way that he should let this continue on. Dustin is a part of the pack, while it may not be official yet it was only a matter of time.

 

Taekwoon lowered his head and his tail curled around his leg. Lips being bitten as he struggled to figure out what words to say. Sanghyuk stepped towards him and wrapped an arm around him, pressing his nose into his neck. Murmuring soft words into his skin of comfort.

 

“I understand.” Taekwoon said. “I am the same way. My old name doesn’t fit me anymore.”

 

Dustin (?) looked up and then glanced over at Sanghyuk. “But…I don’t know what name to use…”

 

“What about Lin?” Hyeyeon offered. “It’s a simple and nice name.”

 

Dustin (?) looked at Hyeyeon and then looked at Taekwoon and Sanghyuk. “Can I? Can I go by Lin instead?”

 

“It’s your choice.” Sanghyuk said as he approached him and smiled warmly. “If you want to go by Lin then you can go by Lin.”

 

He looked down and then nodded when he looked back up at the young Alpha. “Okay. I don’t mind it. Lin sounds nice.”

 

Lin perked up and wagged his tail and then grinned at Hyeyeon. Taekwoon smiled at Sanghyuk and whispered a soft ‘thank you’ to Sanghyuk. The Alpha puffed out his chest and grinned at his mate.

 

“Hey, I’m a lovely Alpha. Reasonable and merciful.”

 

Taekwoon chuckled. “I didn’t say you weren’t.”

 

Hyeyeon sighed and waved her hand towards them as she spoke to Lin. “They are always like this. So, get used to it.”

 

Lin smiled weakly. “I’m glad you are feeling better, Taekwoon.”

 

Taekwoon nodded. “Thank you.”

 

Sanghyuk smiled at the pair. At least Lin knew Taekwoon wasn’t the same wolf he knew before and was accepting of Moon Shadows in a way that eased his worry and concern.

 

Hyeyeon nudged his shoulder, drawing Sanghyuk to turn to stare at her. Her eyes were focused fully on the clouds above their heads which were darkening at the oncoming storms. They seemed to be coming in earlier this year.

 

That wasn’t a good sign.

 

“Seems like some serious storms are on the way.” Hyeyeon murmured. “I should make sure to stock up just in case.”

 

“Good idea.” Sanghyuk frowned and then a flash of lightning streaked across the sky, startling many of the wolves.

 

Sanghyuk’s wolf raised itself and snarled, beginning to pace around. He looked around as his skin began to prickle out of unease and fear. Hyeyeon noticed it and so did Taekwoon and Lin. A soft growl ripped from his throat, which carried along the wind catching the attention of several wolves.

 

“I’m going to check on the pups.” Sanghyuk simply said as he began to walk away.

 

Taekwoon moved to follow him but Sanghyuk flicked his tail which caused him to pause. “No. Don’t. Please. If something happens I don’t want you getting caught.”

 

“You can’t go alone!” Taekwoon hissed, drawing the attention of the rest of the pack who began to face their future Alpha and his mate.

 

“You aren’t coming with me.”

 

“But-“ Taekwoon was cut off by Sungjae speaking up as he approached in a rush.

 

“I’ll go!”

 

Sanghyuk looked at his best friend and nodded, accepting Sungjae’s proposal. “Okay.” He looked back to Taekwoon. “Please, Taek. I don’t want to take you into any potential danger.”

 

The white wolf scowled before relaxing and then grumbling. “Fine. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

 

Sungjae nudged Taekwoon. “Don’t worry, I’ll keep Sanghyuk safe.”

 

Sanghyuk looked at Sungjae but then leaned forward to nuzzle Taekwoon. “I’ll be fine.”

 

Taekwoon huffed and then nuzzled back. “Fine. I believe you.”

 

Sanghyuk smiled and he and Sungjae shared a nod between each other before they turned to leave the town. Surely nothing could actually go wrong. Sanghyuk was just overthinking everything.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Yongseung hummed as he stretched his arms above his head. “I can’t wait for winter.”

 

“You might be the only one excited.” Hoyoung folded his arms. “Maybe except Taekwoon but he hasn’t been here before so that I can understand. You know the threat of the upcoming storms.”

 

“Yeah but it doesn’t change my eagerness to be holed up inside by a fire with a hot chocolate.” Yongseung said as he looked at Kangmin and Felix who were tussling with each other.

 

“Has anyone warned Taekwoon about the storms?” Hoyoung asked just as Harper sprung at the boys and knocked them apart.

 

“They have.”

 

The two turned their heads to see Songhyon approach them, his gaze remaining on the pups. While his attention seemed perfectly focused on the pups but they weren’t surprised that he was able to hear their conversation from a few metres away.

 

Alpha senses and all that.

 

Sanghyuk often surprised them by being able to jump in during conversations even when no one else released he was around.

 

“When did this happen?” Hoyoung asked, keeping his tone polite because he was talking to an Alpha.

 

“During the Alpha meeting. But I don’t think Taekwoon has been steered away from wanting to see what the storms are actually like.” Songhyon explained simply.

 

“Elder Songhyon!” Felix ran towards them, drawing their attention from their previous conversation.

 

“Yes, young one?”

 

“Can we go to the river?” Felix asked as the other pups rushed up to stand with him. Their eyes were wide with excitement and bounced on the balls of their feet.

 

All except Kangmin.

 

The youngest Alpha looked conflicted and seemed to be focusing on something else.

 

“Kangmin?” Hoyoung asked as he approached the pup. “Are you alright?”

 

“What?” He jumped and looked around before focusing on Hoyoung. “Yeah. I’m fine. I was just thinking, that’s all.”

 

“No.”

 

“What? Why? It’s not too far!”

 

Felix was pouting at Songhyon who wasn’t fazed in the slightest. He was used to puppy-dog eyes after all his years of living. Songhyon looked up at Hoyoung and Yongseung with a pointed look. They got the hint.

 

Don’t agree to the pups and their plans.

 

Hoyoung laughed and shook his head. Yongseung folded his arms and raised his brows when the pups looked at the pair of them. As if hoping that they’d agree and let the pups go and explore near the river even though the elder Alpha had already said no.

 

“Please?” Harper pleaded.

 

Yongseung shook his head. “Alpha Songhyon already said no. So no.”

 

Felix huffed but Kangmin was once again strangely quiet. He tugged at her sleeves and looked around, biting his lip out of worry. His ears flicking back and forth as he tried to listen for something.

 

Hoyoung leaned towards Yongseung. “Elder Songhyon is a saint for his patience level and ability to not be fazed by puppy eyes.”

 

“He has years of advantage over us.” Yongseung snickered.

 

The other people who weren’t fazed by puppy eyes were Alpha Juwon and Sanghyuk. There is speculation that it is because they are Alphas and can’t be swayed. Though others could also ignore the eyes but it isn’t ingrained into them like it is for Alphas.

 

“Why not?” Felix pouted.

 

“It’s dangerous.” Yongseung explained. “It’ll blow over in a few more days and then it’ll be safer to explore.”

 

“That’s too long!” Felix whined.

 

Kangmin rubbed his arms. “I think it’s fine.”

 

Felix snapped his head towards his best friend and gaped openly at him. “What? Seriously?!”

 

Kangmin looked away and Hoyoung let out a warning growl at the young wolf. Felix quietened and mumbled out an apology towards his best friend. Songhyon sighed and looked around.

 

He looked bothered. Something must be agitating the Alphas as Yongseung and Hoyoung recalled Sanghyuk acting stiff and iffy. As if he was about to snarl at the prospect of having any of his packmates away from the town.

 

However, Mito must’ve gotten annoyed by the silence and pounced at Kangmin. The two pups shifted into their wolf forms, and Kangmin nipped at Mito’s legs. Mito let out a loud bark of laughter and jumped away from him. Harper and Felix followed right behind them, joining Mito is tackling Kangmin.

 

Sakang, Aara and Suhwa laughed and giggled as they danced around the older pups. Not worried about being accidentally hurt as they knew better.

 

Kangmin yelped and growled playfully. Yongseung and Hoyoung stepped back, not wanting to get caught up in the tussle. Songhyon raised his brows and chuckled to himself quietly.

 

“Pups.” He sounded fond.

 

“They are unique.” Hoyoung laughed.

 

Yongseung flicked an ear. “Maybe this will sate them for a little while.”

 

“They were going a bit stir-crazy.”

 

Songhyon looked around, eyes narrowing slightly. If Hoyoung and Yongseung weren’t looking at him they wouldn’t have noticed that his expression had darkened.

 

“Elder?”

 

“I thought I saw something.”

 

The tone of his voice must’ve been registered by Kangmin who raised his head to stare at his grandfather. Suhwa paused and looked at Kangmin, her eyes widening as Kangmin snapped his head around to look around their current location.

 

Songhyon let out a low growl. “Pups. Get out of here.”

 

“What?” Felix asked confused as he stood beside Kangmin. “Why? What’s wrong?”

 

Yongseung and Hoyoung shared worried looks as they turned to the pups. Hoyoung hissed at them. “Don’t question it. Just listen to Elder Songhyon.”

 

Sakang opened his mouth but shut it just as quickly. He gazed at Kangmin and noticed how the young Alpha was tense and almost bursting at the seams. He looked at Aara who sighed and nodded her head at him.

 

Aara bent down to Harper and tugged them away from the others. Kangmin looked at Sakang and Felix who didn’t look like they were about to leave their best friend. Hoyoung felt his throat close up as Aara and Harper ushered Mito and Suhwa back to the town. Talking about how they were going to hang out with Arei and Ichizo.

 

Mito complained about spending time with his siblings but didn’t put up an argument.

 

Yongseung felt a shiver run down his spine as he noticed a flicker of shadows. He barely was able to cry out to the pups. “Pups! Run!”

 

They all looked at Yongseung but they too noticed it. The shadows rapidly approaching them. The pups who were already leaving instantly took off running, not wanting to hang around. Kangmin faltered before he, Sakang and Felix turned to rush after them as well.

 

Songhyon let out a loud growl, a warning to the threat but they didn’t heed it.

 

Yongseung snapped his head around as he heard Hoyoung let out a scream. His eyes widened and a scream barley left his lips before his vision went black and the cries of the pups were the last things he heard.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Sanghyuk’s paws crunched the leaves on the ground as he carried himself further from the town. Sungjae was running just beside him. His eyes narrowed as he tried looking around for anything that could indicate where the pups were.

 

Suddenly, Sanghyuk’s fur stood on end as they heard a scream from up ahead.

 

Sungjae and Sanghyuk both paused before Sanghyuk let out a loud growl that carried on the end. Without thinking, he burst forward, teeth bared in anger and protectiveness as Sungjae raced right behind him. His best friend was also snarling as that scream was nothing good and meant only one thing.

 

Intruders.

 

Someone was going after the pups.

 

Sanghyuk skidded to a halt, kicking up dirt as he came to a sudden stop. His eyes snapped around the area, panting quietly as he struggled to make sense of what had happened here.

 

Scenting the air, Sanghyuk felt Sungjae press against his side. The smaller wolf whined lowly in his throat. It was strange, there was no blood but Sanghyuk could still smell it in the air. It made him feel sick and uneasy.

 

Sungjae looked at Sanghyuk and laid his ears back. The message was silent and Sanghyuk stepped forward, leading Sungjae down the trodden grass, indicating that this was the direction the group had gone.

 

“Alpha?”

 

Sanghyuk snapped his head around and his ears pulled forward. “Harper?”

 

Harper poked their head out from behind a rock and then broke out in a large relieved grin. Bolting forward, Harper tackled into Sanghyuk’s legs and began to cry heavily into his fur. Sanghyuk drew his tail around the shaking body and looked at Sungjae who was just as confused.

 

Before they could do anything, Aara, Mito and Suhwa also bolted from the rocks and tackled into Sanghyuk as well. Burying their heads into the thick and fluffy fur of Sanghyuk’s body. The Alpha nuzzled their heads and whispered softly in their ears.

 

“Hey, puppies.” He murmured. “What happened?”

 

“We were attacked.” Aara whimpered. “We got away but we don’t know where anyone else is.”

 

Sanghyuk raised his head to stare at Sungjae. Sungjae nodded, bowing his head towards his best friend and nuzzled his neck and then stepped back. He nudged the pups with a soft voice.

 

“Come on, I’ll take you back to town. Sanghyuk will look for everyone else and he’ll find them, okay?”

 

The pups must’ve been really shaken since they didn’t argue. They did whine when pulled away from Sanghyuk but understood Sungjae would be there to protect them. The two friends stared at each other and Sungjae nuzzled his best friend again.

 

“Be safe.”

 

“I always am.”

 

Sanghyuk watched his friend and the pups began to walk back to town. Shaking his head, Sanghyuk turned to continue down the previous path, tail twitching with unease as he gazed at the grass that was now beginning to be stained with blood.

 

It may have been unsettling before but now it was downright worrying.

 

“Kangmin!” He yelled. “Kangmin!”

 

Silence.

 

“Kangmin!”

 

His paw landed on a pile of grass and it sunk. The squelch noise caused him to jerk and then look down at the puddle of blood he stepped in.

 

A choked cry left his lips and he reeled backwards, tail curling back towards his body. His fur puffed up as he felt ice cover his entire body. Eyes flickering from the puddle of blood to the body that laid on the grass a few metres away. The blood trail was coming from this body.

 

The dark brown and gray fur brought tears to Sanghyuk’s eyes as he approached it. The body was large, so it wasn’t any of the pups but there was no heartbeat emitting from the wolf. The scent was familiar so it wasn’t one of the stranger wolves but one of his own.

 

His voice cracked as he opened his mouth to say something. “Grandpa?”

 

Hell, Sanghyuk wasn’t even sure if that was his own voice but since there was no one else around it had to be him.

 

“Grandpa?” He cried out as tears ran down his cheeks as he stopped beside the lifeless body. His grandfather’s body was coated in blood and wounds, showing that despite his age he fought to the death to protect the pups. “No…Please…No.”

 

He pressed his nose into his grandfather’s fur. Tears began to collect on the fur that began to sway softly in the wind. Sanghyuk raised a paw to rest on his grandfather’s body and let out a loud, strangled cry as realisation struck him.

 

His grandfather was killed. Was dead.

 

All because Sanghyuk allowed the pups to leave the town for the day because he didn’t want to assume he was just overreacting. The blood began to stain his body and he jerked away with another cry.

 

“Kangmin! Where are you? Please! Answer!”

 

His voice cracked as he tried to howl. He knew his pack would respond to his howl but he found himself unable to get it out. Trembling, Sanghyuk pushed away from his grandfather and whined as he was unable to find the others.

 

The blood showed that his own wolves – even the pups probably – had gotten their own attacks on their attackers. The blood smelt unknown to him so Sanghyuk was unsure of what had happened to them.

 

Where were they?

 

He shifted back into his human form. He would be able to get a better feel of the air without the fur in the way. At least that is what he planned.

 

However, something wet grabbed his arm and tugged his weakly. The wet fingers curled around Sanghyuk’s arm.

 

He opened his mouth as he turned around, prepared to fight this attacker even though the strong scent of blood hit his nose. He froze, eyes widening as he realised who it was.

 

Hoyoung.

 

The younger wolf was covered in blood, the wet fingers revealed that is was actually blood. Wounds across his blood showed how much damage he had received, fighting with his every breath. His breath was shaky and uneasy, clearly finding trouble catching his breath to say anything.

 

No wonder he didn’t say anything to Sanghyuk.

 

He couldn’t.

 

“Hoyoung!” He grabbed the younger wolf and held him close to his body, ignoring the blood staining his clothes. “What happened?”

 

“Sister pack.” Hoyoung choked out. “Taken over…Want Taekwoon…”

 

“Where are they?”

 

“I’m sorry, Alpha. I tried.”

 

“Hoyoung. Tell me!”

 

“They are being held captive.”