The Heat Building *

Under The Full Moon

Paws pressed into the grass as Kai let his body lower to the ground, long tail sweeping through the blades. Eyes narrowed as he scented to air to try and figure out where the scent of a stranger wolf was coming from.

 

Paws pressed lightly against the fallen leaves, not wanting to draw any attention to himself. Eyes flickering towards Hakyeon who seemed to vanish into the trees with his rusty colour of his fur. Though the sun was shining through the canopy, both of them seemed to blend in with their surroundings.

 

Now, they normally wouldn’t be doing this, the whole scouting when it comes to an Epsilon and an Eta.

 

That is not something that they would do on a typical day but today wasn’t a typical day.

 

The Alphas (well sitting leaders) of the Sister packs were currently in town talking with their Alphas. Discussing about possible outside threats and the fact that they’d have to be more aware of potential dangers.

 

Kai sniffed the air before stopping in his tracks, letting out a soft huff to catch Hakyeon’s attention.

 

“What is it?” The Epsilon asked as he focused his gaze on the slightly younger wolf.

 

“I think the stranger wolf is that way.” He flicked west with his tail.

 

Without any more explanation, the Eta bolted towards the edge of the territory, listening to Hakyeon’s paw steps as he surged after him. Dirt, grass and leaves were kicked up in their wake as Kai tracked the scent. He was positive Hakyeon could follow it just fine but knew better than to just let Hakyeon go first.

 

Though Hakyeon would argue that Kai should let him go first because of the entire rank thing.

 

Hakyeon is naturally stronger than him after all.

 

“Kai. Stop.” Hakyeon’s voice rumbled through and Kai let himself skid to a halt glancing back at Hakyeon who quickly joined him.

 

“What? Why?” Kai didn’t mean to sound annoyed, as Hakyeon would’ve gotten him to stop for a good reason.

 

“The wolf is coming.”

 

“Then we fight it.”

 

Hakyeon turned to lock their gazes together. “We were told to scout, not to fight. So don’t get ahead of yourself.”

 

Kai fell silent, knowing better than to anger Hakyeon. He was right. Juwon told them to scout after all and he wasn’t one to ignore the words of his Alphas even if he almost did. The silence was broken only by cautious and hesitant paw steps. He took the chance to scent the air again even though the wind wasn’t benefitting either of them.

 

Blood.

 

A paw was placed in front of him and Kai jumped slightly, surprised that he didn’t even notice that he was about to leap forward and attack the stranger. He was thankful that he was with Hakyeon because the Epsilon isn’t someone who could be pushed around by a wolf who decided to launch forward. Kept them in line anyway.

 

The stranger was a slim wolf, brown fur covered in blood, scars and wounds. The ears were ripped up and Kai noticed how his fur seemed to hang off his body, as though there was no proper meat and fat on his bones. The stumbling of his feet made the young warrior pause out of guilt and shame.

 

The wolf stopped and looked around, its eyes looked sunken in, lost and confused. Shaking its head, it turned around and began to walk away, away and out of the territory. Soon enough it vanished in the shadows and Kai frowned to himself.

 

He turned his head away. Why do I feel so bad about that wolf?

 

“Poor thing.” Hakyeon whispered. “It looks so broken. I can only imagine what it has gone through.”

 

“What about the blood on its fur?” Kai asked, snapping his head up. “Can’t we get it? It’s hurt!”

 

Hakyeon looked at Kai who growled again and then he leaped forward and out of the bushes.

 

“Kai!” Hakyeon yelled before sighing to himself. “Dammit.”

 

Hakyeon leaped forward and followed close behind Kai. Hakyeon may want to go home but Kai was right.

 

You can’t leave an injured wolf alone. That is the lowest thing a wolf in a pack can do, regardless of if the other wolf had a pack. They’d be thankful that they would save them.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Our packs are getting attacked by one rogue or a few every few weeks.”

 

“We keep seeing random lone wolves around the borders.”

 

“Those wolves keep looking at our pups.”

 

“Even going so far as to out right talk to us about our packs.”

 

Sanghyuk sighed as he heard the leaders of the sister packs discuss everything that has been happening to them in recent months, insisting they were in danger. While it normally wouldn’t be, they have become more and more common in recent months, even before Sanghyuk found Taekwoon. However, that didn’t mean that they were connected.

 

Well, then again. They could be. Sanghyuk didn’t know enough about these wolves that were attacking his pack to make any connections of the sort.

 

He worried for his pack, really he did. But couldn’t they talk one at a time.

 

“These wolves are getting bolder after every attack, even if we send them running with serious wounds.”

 

Serious wounds? Were they deliberately attacking the wolves to the point they could be recognisable from their scars alone? Sanghyuk held back a shiver at that prospect but he knew that it was more out of self-defence than pure desire to hurt anyone.

 

“It’s risky being away from our packs!”

 

Goddess. Their loud chatter was beginning to drive Sanghyuk up the wall in frustration. His ears twitched as he tried to sort through the voices but found himself unable to do so, so overwhelmed by everything that was being spoken to him.

 

His wolf growled lowly in the back of his mind and Sanghyuk let it creep forward. It would be beneficial in keeping everyone in check.

 

“Why are we being attacked?”

 

“Does it have something to do with that white wolf?”

 

“No way! That wolf showed up long after these attacks started.”

 

“SILENCE!”

 

The room fell silent almost instantly.

 

Sanghyuk had curled his lips back as his ears pulled forward with a low snarl. His tail slashed through the air with a no-nonsense manner about it, eyes narrowing and looking around the gathered wolves in front of him. His fingers and claws dug into the table, creating rips and dents in the wood.

 

He wasn’t surprised everyone fell silent, it was rare that Sanghyuk had snapped and as he was an Alpha it demanded attention and respect. His temper was something that was rarely tempered with because of his skill with keeping it in check. There was no desire in him to lead out of fear but sometimes he needed to get his point across and keep attention on him and his words.

 

“These wolves may be tied to Night Walkers, a pack that is working with Taekwoon’s old pack and might be the one attacking our pack. However, there is only one or two confirmed cases of this being the case but both of these were on the other side of the valley.” Sanghyuk snarled. “However, their claims are ill-used if they want to say they have a right to him, since they have abused Taekwoon who was their Alpha child. At least at one point.”

 

Holland and Haebin glanced at Sanghyuk, both looking uncertain if Sanghyuk should’ve said that out loud. Yet, everyone else shifted uncomfortably between each other.

 

The abuse of any Alpha child is strictly prohibited in pack laws and customs.

 

“Alpha.” Chorong called out from where she stood at the back of the group. “Why would anyone abuse the child of their Alpha?”

 

Sanghyuk shrugged. “His father pushed for them to do it.” His voice dropped but remained strong. “But because his wolf is female.”

 

Now that caught their attention.

 

“Are you joking?” Victoria raised an eyebrow, voice incredulous. “Abusing their Alpha child because their and their wolf doesn’t match up? What were they wanting to do? Sell him off to another pack to establish an alliance?”

 

Sanghyuk said nothing and that was the answer that they needed.

 

“Oh…” Baekhyun started, eyes sparkling. “Is he your mate?”

 

“Where did you come to that conclusion?” Sanghyuk hissed lowly, eyes narrowing at Baekhyun who didn’t seem bothered about potentially pissing him off.

 

A careless shrug. “I was just thinking that might be the case. Since you seem quite adamant on not talking about him but wanting to keep him safe, yet no mating marks or anything.” Baekhyun met his gaze evenly and Sanghyuk was impressed by his dedication.

 

“My…Fated Mate.” Sanghyuk said curtly, not leaving it open for discussion. “For now, we have to raise defences and see if you can follow these wolves back to a pack. If they don’t have a pack then it would be curious as to why they are attacking instead of asking to join.”

 

“And if they have a pack?”

 

“Then report back to me of everything you find out. We can figure out a plan to interrogate them and try and ease out tensions.” Sanghyuk replied simply.

 

“If that doesn’t work?” Ash asked from where they sat with their mate.

 

“Then we fight for the protection of our pack.” Sanghyuk raised his chin. There was no way that he would let a rogue pack go around attacking his pack without making a statement of their strength that shouldn’t be tested.

 

They nodded in understanding but the peace that settled around them was abruptly shattered.

 

The door slammed open to reveal Hakyeon, Kai and a wounded and scarred wolf that stared at the gathered wolves with wide eyes. Bright blue eyes shut when his met Sanghyuk’s, sensing the Alpha’s presence and submitting to it.

 

“Hakyeon! What is the meaning of this?” Sanghyuk asked, tearing his gaze off of the wolf. “Why do you have a loner with you?”

 

Hakyeon puffed out his chest. “Kai and I spotted him when he was travelling through our territory, but before you say anything his wounds aren’t all that bad and he’s a stubborn one apparently.” He gave him a look. “Didn’t want to go to the hospital when he found out he could speak with you personally himself, I guess.”

 

The wolf nodded.

 

Sanghyuk didn’t know what to say about that. Shaking his head, Sanghyuk decided that he could worry about it later.

 

“Do you have a name?” Sanghyuk asked first, best to get pleasantries out of the way.

 

The wolf opened his mouth before hesitating and then shaking his wolf. “No…I was called the Fallen Branch.” For his brown fur, I’m guessing. “No actual name.”

 

Sanghyuk felt sorry for him, it wasn’t like Taekwoon who did have an original name but just didn’t want to say what that name was. So, Sanghyuk wasn’t going to ever push it at all. This wolf was not like Taekwoon even though they seemed similar.

 

“Okay, moving on from that. You wanted to say something.”

 

“Oh yes.” The wolf perked up. “I was a member of Night Stalkers but managed to escape them because of a dear old friend of mine. I got whiff of talk of another old friend, a friend who I thought was to be long dead.”

 

“So you’re after them?” Sanghyuk had a sinking suspicion that he was talking about Taekwoon.

 

The wolf shook his head. “No. Not at all. I was worried. Last I heard they had died and the Alpha of Night Stalkers was aggressive and came in this direction.”

 

He looked up and met Sanghyuk’s gaze. While it still wavered, Sanghyuk knew he wanted to get his point across to the young Alpha to show he wasn’t a threat.

 

“I recall the scent on you. My old friend…His name has escaped me much like everyone else’s.”

 

“You knew Taekwoon?” Sanghyuk asked, not as shocked as many of his pack mates who all jumped to the defence of their future Alpha’s mate.

 

“Taekwoon?” The wolf hummed, curious. “That isn’t the name I recall him with but it suits him better than whatever name he had before. His old name was harsh and pushed him too much to something he hated.”

 

Sanghyuk flicked his ear to make his pack stand down and they listened. Though they were still tense Sanghyuk couldn’t smell any hints nor indication of him lying about the whole thing. He seemed genuinely worried and concerned for Taekwoon, he must’ve been part of Taekwoon’s old pack before joining Night Stalkers alongside Taekwoon’s oldest sister.

 

That would explain why he recalled Taekwoon but not necessarily the name he grew up with. Perhaps they weren’t actually friends, since the wolf definitely seems to be what rogue packs would call an Omega.

 

Most packs didn’t have Omegas anymore, they were only found in rogue packs.

 

Packs that had Omegas considered them lesser than everything else, things that could be thrown aside without a second thought. Wolves and the like that could be treated like actual .

 

“There is something else.” Sanghyuk said simply, catching the slight change in the wolf’s scent. The scent changing to show that something was being kept away. “Where is Night Stalkers right now?”

 

The wolf gulped before steadying himself. “On their way. I don’t know how long it will take for them to get here, maybe just over a week. They are going to the valley because it seems safe for them. For they know of one of your sister pack’s in that area.”

 

Ash snarled with Claire. Their fur standing on end and even Kai’s eyes widened as he realised which sister pack the wolf was referring to.

 

“Our pack!” Claire snapped her head to Sanghyuk as if she was daring him to not let them go back to their pack to protect it.

 

Sanghyuk nodded simply. “Go. Go and protect your pack.” He turned to Victoria and Baekhyun. “You two better head back to your packs as well. Your packs border theirs and you will need to be aware of a potential threat.”

 

They all nodded and hurried out of the room. Sanghyuk saw Kai move to follow after Ash and Claire but Sanghyuk’s short call made him stop before he turned back to face Sanghyuk with a look of pain in his eyes.

 

“But Jennie-“

 

“Will be fine. You worry too much about her. She is a strong wolf.” Sanghyuk responded simply. “Ash and Claire wouldn’t have made her one of their main warriors if that was not the case.”

 

Kai wanted to argue with him but mutely nodded. He turned to the wolf and scowled slightly at him. “What do you want me to do about this wolf?”

 

The wolf made a face and Sanghyuk rolled his eyes. “Be considerate. He’s been through a lot, and while I do not trust him, we should at least treat him like we do with all guests.”

 

Kai nodded and looked at Hakyeon who shrugged as well. They nudged the wolf who obediently followed them out of the room towards the hospital. Their healers would be able to help his wounds and scars and may be able to tap into memories that he had squashed.

 

Or were deliberately squashed by others who didn’t want him to remember anything but only to listen and obey.

 

“Alpha Sanghyuk.”

 

Sanghyuk turned to see the other standing Alphas who were looking at him with looks of pure loyalty and devotion. They stood tall and proud, the faint symbols of Moon Shadows decorating the cloaks that each of them wore seemed shine as they did.

 

“We will always remain loyal to Moon Shadows and it will take a lot for anyone to force us away from you. Our packs are your pack. You are our Alpha through and through.”

 

“I am not the Alpha yet.” Sanghyuk chuckled but the sentiments were sweet. “But, I was not questioning your loyalty at all. I know you would not turn on us, no matter the circumstances.”

 

His shoulders relaxed and slumped as they all chuckled and laughed. Sanghyuk didn’t realise how stressed he was until he could feel himself relax around his pack mates.

 

“Now go.” Sanghyuk said. “Your packs will be waiting for you and I’ve had enough excitement for one day and a new potential packmate needs my attention as well.”

 

“We understand, Alpha.” Chorong nodded and left with everyone else.

 

Soon the room was empty, save for Sanghyuk, Haebin and Holland. While Haebin and Holland hadn’t really spoken much during the meeting, that was probably more because of the fact that the meeting was not something that really concerned them.

 

His hands dropped to the table and Sanghyuk leaned over it, eyes closing as he let out a shaky breath of air. Honestly, he was amazed his parents were so used to these meetings. After one major one and Sanghyuk was already feeling down with everything.

 

“You alright, Hyuk?” Haebin asked as she moved to approach her brother, her hands resting on his shoulders out of reassurance.

 

“Too much has happened.” Sanghyuk murmured. “I hate it.”

 

“I understand.” She really didn’t but Sanghyuk gave her a small smile. At least he always knew she was on his side but would be more than willing to drag him back into line.

 

“I’m going to check on Taekwoon before going to the hospital. Maybe I’ll even think of a name for our guest. Can’t keep calling him Fallen Branch, that is no name.”

 

“Of course that’s the first thing on your mind.” Holland teased.

 

Sanghyuk shrugged. “Keeps my mind focused on a simple task at first. Otherwise I’ll just go crazy from overloading on information.”

 

“That’s fair.”

 

Sanghyuk stood up fully and tossing his hair back over his shoulder. It was getting a little long so he might have to cut it soon, except for the fact Taekwoon seemed to like it which made deciding on this difficult. “Anyway, I should go. You two should do something as well.”

 

“Well, I wanted to know if the pups can leave town yet. They are getting restless and stir crazy.” Holland said.

 

Sanghyuk wanted to ponder on that request a little longer but knew better than to think about it. The pups were actually getting really annoying even to those who are naturally nurturing like Hakyeon and Sanghyuk themselves.

 

“I don’t see why not. Maybe they can be taught how to begin fighting and hunting. Gets them to do something.” Sanghyuk added, shooting a look towards Haebin at the word ‘hunting’.

 

His sister was one of the best hunters in the pack, but aside from that, she was also one of the few wolves who could tolerate the pups. Haebin also being an Alpha meant that she could control the pups without much difficulty.

 

“You know they are too annoying to be trained.” Haebin huffed.

 

“And?” Sanghyuk cocked a brow. “You were that annoying once.”

 

“I was not!” her screech rang out of the building and Sanghyuk could only laugh as he left.

 

“You kinda were.” Holland added and Sanghyuk grinned when he heard Haebin’s dramatic cry of betrayal from her dearest brothers.

 

He chuckled again and stared up at the cloudy sky. His pack were superstitious nor ones to think much of omens but even then that didn’t really change much of deep-rooted values and core beliefs their pack held.

 

Cloudy skies weren’t always seen as a bad omen but a sign of a prosperous future.

 

Sanghyuk took a deep breath before looking around the bustling town. Many sister pack members were walking and talking with everyone they met. He nodded and greeted his packmates politely when he passed them but he was walking back to the Alpha house.

 

He hadn’t seen Taekwoon since that morning and Taekwoon didn’t seem pleased with being disturbed from his sleep. Going so far as to glare at Sanghyuk but fell back to sleep while Sanghyuk was getting ready for the day. Sanghyuk had found it worrying but amusing, nonetheless.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Sanghyuk’s hand curled around the door handle before pushing his door open to reveal his room. He was momentarily confused as to why his door was closed, since he remembered leaving it ajar that morning because otherwise Kangmin probably would’ve just knocked on the door and disturbed Taekwoon.

 

At least then he could poke in and see that Sanghyuk wasn’t there and just leave if he was certain Taekwoon couldn’t help him.

 

Which was unlikely since Kangmin has asked for Taekwoon’s help for random things on numerous occasions. Many seemed strange and odd but Kangmin’s own way of accepting Taekwoon into his family.

 

“Oh.”

 

Sanghyuk’s eyes widened as he stared, realising why his bedroom door was closed.

 

Taekwoon was curled up on his bed, a blanket wrapped around him while many other blankets were changed to resemble something akin to a nest. His white ears and tail were visible, but when he shifted, his arm came out to curl around the pillow before pulling it towards his face.

 

“Cute.” Sanghyuk chuckled as he walked towards his bed and then rest his knee against the mattress. “Too adorable.”

 

Taekwoon mumbled something incoherent and Sanghyuk suddenly realised that something was off.

 

The air had shifted to feel stuffy and uncomfortably. Sanghyuk almost caved to his wolf that was intrigued and interested in the scent but Sanghyuk didn’t find it uncomfortable at all. In fact, he welcomed it and even desired it.

 

Lowering his face to Taekwoon’s and resting his knees on the bed, Taekwoon whined lowly before turning around to face Sanghyuk. Leaning forward again, Sanghyuk rested his cheek against Taekwoon and saw that the white wolf had cracked open an eye slightly.

 

“Hey.” Taekwoon’s voice was soft and tired, making him seem even more adorable than he already was.

 

“Morning, Sleeping Beauty.” Sanghyuk whispered and nuzzled Taekwoon’s cheek and smiled when Taekwoon curled close to him. “How are you?” He realised that Taekwoon’s skin was a little warm which caused his own skin to prickle out of unease.

 

“Tired but I am feeling a little warm.” Taekwoon admitted and Sanghyuk pulled away and let out an annoyed whine before opening his eyes the full way now. “Why?”

 

Aqua eyes looked worried as Sanghyuk wasn’t even trying to keep his worry and concern hidden. Oh . Sanghyuk had pondered the decision if Taekwoon didn’t understand what was wrong. He wasn’t sick anyway.

 

His wolf growled lowly in his throat, tail flicking as the scent lingered and then settled into his body. “No reason. I’ve just missed you, since I haven’t been able to see you for the past few days.”

 

“You’ve seen me.” Taekwoon moved closer to Sanghyuk and nuzzling into Sanghyuk’s cheek.

 

“Not been able to spend a lot of time with you.” Sanghyuk clarified and sniffed Taekwoon’s hair, the scent struck him and he almost winced and reeled away in shock.

 

Taekwoon then shrugged. “Your pack is important. I understand that.”

 

I just don’t want you to feel as though you aren’t important to me either. Sanghyuk hummed lowly and nuzzled the hair again before being to pull away. “Your scent is off slightly.”

 

That caught Taekwoon’s attention and raised his head to look at him. “Sick?” Clearly worried about passing on the illness to the pack, especially since many sister packmates were in the town.

 

Sanghyuk shook his head. “No, I don’t think so. I think I know what it is but I can’t really tell you since I’ve never experienced myself. But…Hyeyeon will know for certain.”

 

Sanghyuk figured it could very well be his heat but with Taekwoon not really understanding what was going on pushed him into getting someone else’s input on it all. While he didn’t want to leave Taekwoon, he knew he needed to ensure that Taekwoon was aware of what could possibly be happening.

 

Taekwoon grumbled into the pillow he clutched. “Do you have to go and get her?”

 

“She’s a healer. Hyeyeon will make sure that you are actually alright. Don’t you want to make sure you’re fine?” Sanghyuk asked.

 

“Yeah, you’re right.” Taekwoon sighed and smiled reassuringly at him. “Don’t be gone too long, okay?”

 

“I’ll be back before you know it.” Sanghyuk grinned and left his room before Taekwoon could even attempt to keep him back in his room. If he delayed it any longer then Taekwoon may be too far gone to understand anything if it is his first heat.

 

The only positive aspect of it was that Taekwoon was an Alpha. Therefore he’s heat would be significantly different to any other heats.

 

Sanghyuk wasn’t even remotely aware of anything around him, even though the sun’s rays were warm against his skin. That may or may not have been a good thing.

 

“Sanghyuk!”

 

He snapped his head around to see Dongheon racing up to him, holding a bag in one of his arms.

 

“Dongheon, what are you carrying?”

 

Dongheon stopped beside Sanghyuk and then glanced at the bag he was carrying. A loud broke out from his mouth. “Oh this. This is some medical supplied that I decided to go and grab some extra. We may need some more in the future with more and more packmates.”

 

“That’s true.” Sanghyuk nodded as the two of them moved towards to the hospital. Dongheon almost bounced beside him out of the excitement that Dongheon rarely showed around those who weren’t Sanghyuk.

 

“Anyway, you reek of Taekwoon.” Dongheon stated, raising an eyebrow. “What is up with that? Is he going into heat?”

 

Sanghyuk frowned. “I think so.”

 

“You think so?”

 

“He doesn’t seem to know what heats are, his heat probably got delayed but I don’t know why or how.” Sanghyuk admitted and then shrugged. “But, I’ve never experienced it myself so I can’t be the most knowledgeable in that regard.”

 

Dongheon looked shocked at the declaration but knew that Sanghyuk wouldn’t be saying that  just to say something. But his face softened in understanding. “Well, I mean, Hyeyeon would be able to help.”

 

“Why do you think I’m going to the hospital, genius?”

 

“Well, I was expecting you to try and give me a more convincing telling.” Dongheon replied.

 

Sanghyuk almost slammed the door in Dongheon’s face who screeched out in indignation at the act. His ears puffed up in mock anger and Sanghyuk almost laughed loudly at the sight and knew that Dongheon was only looking like he was betrayed. He really wasn’t.

 

“That was rude.” Dongheon hissed, shaking out his body.

 

“Oh don’t worry, fluffy.” Sanghyuk teased, as he turned to walk into one of the many wings, following his nose to where he knew Hyeyeon was. Considering another scent that was lingering with it, she was probably with the loner.

 

The door was closed but Sanghyuk merely knocked, not entering until he heard Hyeyeon’s ‘come in’.

 

The door clicked open and Sanghyuk saw the loner ducked his head out of pure submission. Hyeyeon didn’t turn to face Sanghyuk and Dongheon, merely greeting them without turning around to face them.

 

Dongheon frowned. “A stray?”

 

Hyeyeon looked up with a scowl. “A loner, but yes. A stray for all intents and purposes.” She looked at the bag that Dongheon silently presented to her out of embarrassment. “Thank you, Dongheon. You do have some kind of common sense in that dense brain of yours.”

 

He rolled his eyes and gave Sanghyuk a look that said, “can you believe her?”.

 

“Do you recall a name?” Sanghyuk asked as he looked at the loner who shrugged.

 

“Only one. Leo. But he said it’s not his name.” Hyeyeon explained and then Dongheon perked up as if he suddenly had an epiphany.

 

“What about Verrer?” Dongheon asked.

 

Sanghyuk and Hyeyeon looked at Dongheon as though he suddenly grew a second head. Dongheon merely shrugged in response. Sanghyuk was about to ask for clarification but Dongheon beat him to it.

 

“No. I know you may think it is crazy but it makes sense. Verrer is a unique name but no one is gonna think that a loner is named that.” Dongheon said. “It’s crazy but a suggestion, you don’t want him to be known about with the past he can’t really recall it.”

 

“You’ve had crazier ideas I must admit.” Sanghyuk sighed.

 

The loner kept his mouth shut, uncertain if he should say anything or not. Perhaps Sanghyuk would’ve wanted his input on this but nothing is set in stone yet and maybe Taekwoon would recall his old friend’s name when they meet again.

 

“Hyeyeon.” Sanghyuk jerked out of his thoughts when Dongheon nudged him with his elbow. “Sanghyuk wanted to ask you something about Taekwoon.”

 

Both of the wolves looked up, Hyeyeon looking more worried rather than curious like the loner. “What is it?”

 

“He…” Sanghyuk hesitated. “I think it’s best if you come with me, so I don’t push you down a certain rabbit hole. It’s not life threatening but…”

 

Hyeyeon didn’t need any more convincing as she stood up. She nodded to the other wolf. “Remain here. I’ll come back to check over your wounds again when I get back.”

 

He just nodded and watched as Hyeyeon joined Sanghyuk and Dongheon in leaving the building. The three wolves were walking together and Sanghyuk noticed that Dongheon was looking in the direction of Haebin. Grumbling lowly he nudged his best friend.

 

“Hyuk. What?” Dongheon turned to look at him.

 

“Go, you’ll just be annoying otherwise.” Sanghyuk sighed and smiled as he saw Dongheon almost skip away and head towards Haebin. She was focused on something in her hands and was certainly going to be surprised when Dongheon suddenly jumps out at her.

 

“Is he always like that?” Hyeyeon asked as she followed Sanghyuk into the Alpha’s house.

 

“Oh, you have no idea.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Sanghyuk rested his body against the wall, tail curling around his leg and let his head tilt to the side as well. Eyes locked firmly on where Hyeyeon and Taekwoon were seated, as the doctor checked over Taekwoon to make sure nothing was wrong.

 

The longer a female wolf goes without going into heat – that doesn’t involve being pregnant – then it can have serious negative affects on the wolf in question.

 

The last thing Sanghyuk wanted was for Taekwoon to be harmed by this. By something that should be normal and a part of him by now but yet it wasn’t. That was the worrying fact of the entire thing.

 

“Well,” Hyeyeon leaned back and glanced over at Sanghyuk. “I don’t know how I should feel since you seemed to already know what was going on yet didn’t tell me.”

 

Sanghyuk shifted and Taekwoon frowned, brows furrowing. “I know, Hyeyeon, but I didn’t want to make you think that I was misleading you if it wasn’t.”

 

“You have a sister. A twin, you idiot.”

 

“I know.”

 

Hyeyeon opened but Taekwoon cut her off. “What are you two talking about?”

 

Hyeyeon turned back to him. “You’re going into heat. The first one by what I can tell between you and your wolf. However, what is odd is that you typically reach it when you are fifteen. Not almost twenty.”

 

“Heat?” Taekwoon’s voice cracked. Sanghyuk felt the urge to track down his old pack and demand answers from them. You do not keep heats and ruts out of a conversation with anyone, especially not an Alpha despite how much you like them.

 

“It’s when you gain the ability to carry pups.” Hyeyeon explained. “Sterile wolves can go through heat and rut but they are more sporadic and unpredictable. Heats are for female wolves and ruts are for male wolves.” She glanced over at Sanghyuk. “But, heats and ruts for Alphas are slightly different.”

 

Taekwoon looked over at Sanghyuk with a perplexed gaze. He gulped as he understood where Hyeyeon was going with this. She was going to leave him to explain to Taekwoon about it all even though she is a female.

 

But she’s right. Sanghyuk has an Alpha twin sister and he knows about their heats.

 

Hyeyeon stood up and stretched and Sanghyuk turned to face him, ears flicking.

 

“Your heat was probably delayed because of a stressful past, and if you and Sanghyuk are Fated Mates then your wolf was purposely delaying it. Female wolves often do delay it until they deem themselves safe, because otherwise they may get jumped by random males.”

 

Taekwoon winced and looked down at his lap. “That’s true.”

 

Hyeyeon nodded and turned to Sanghyuk. “I wouldn’t worry too much about your rut being triggered. You two aren’t mates but I wouldn’t be surprised if it does happen.”

 

“I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks Hyeyeon.” Sanghyuk knew that anything that threatens his pack now could very much set him off in his rut. While it may not it wouldn’t not be a surprise if it does happen.

 

Hyeyeon smiled and looked at Taekwoon. “Don’t worry too much about your heat. Sanghyuk will explain it all to you.”

 

Taekwoon nodded mutely and Hyeyeon smiled at Sanghyuk before walking out of the room, her tail curling and flicking from side to side. She shut the door behind her and Sanghyuk almost felt his knees shake and collapse.

 

“Sanghyuk?”

 

“I’m fine.” He cracked a grin at Taekwoon who didn’t seem to believe him at all. Which was fair in retrospect. “Okay, I’m not but this is fine.”

 

“But I’m the one going into heat.” Taekwoon whimpered, tucking his knees up to his chest. “Don’t they make you crazy?”

 

“No.”

 

Taekwoon looked up and laid his ears back. “What do you mean?”

 

A hand ran through his hair as Sanghyuk chuckled. “Alphas don’t go through the typical heats and ruts. They are more beneficial to the pack as an entirety instead of making them more vulnerable.”

 

“Ruts make males vulnerable?”

 

“Yeah, but many don’t realise that. Males can be taken advantage of just as much as females.” Sanghyuk explained and stepped towards him. “But as I said, Alphas don’t go through the same thing.”

 

Taekwoon moved aside to let Sanghyuk join him on the bed. “Then…Are you going to explain?”

 

“Of course.” Sanghyuk leaned back on the bed. “Heats make female Alphas more loving and maternal, while still a little crazy Alphas are more accepting of not having a mate for every heat because they focus on taking care of the pack. They also can’t be taken advantage of.”

 

Taekwoon sighed happily and rested against Sanghyuk. “That makes me feel better. Is there anything else I need to know about heats?”

 

“Aside from craving foods, and then needing to drink and eat to ensure that you don’t pass out.” Sanghyuk said. “But it won’t really hit until tomorrow anyway.”

 

“How do you know?”

 

“Well, Haebin is my sister, remember? I am meant to be knowledgeable in this aspect.”

 

Taekwoon hummed and then tilted his head back, his ears were soft against Sanghyuk’s cheek. “Alpha?” Sanghyuk resisted the urge to growl at the title. “Do the sister packs know about me? I know they’ve seen me from time to time.”

 

“Yeah and they also know we are Fated Mates.” Sanghyuk said, turning to nuzzle Taekwoon’s hair.

 

“Can…Can you tell me about the sister packs?” Taekwoon asked. “I want to know about them and their histories, if I’m gonna be your mate.”

 

Sanghyuk blinked and then chuckled. “Well, I guess it’s only fair for me to explain the history of the pack. It’s long but we have at least a week together since your heat will not really accept me being away, I think. So…Which one should I talk about first?”

 

“Whichever one. I don’t mind.”

 

“Okay then.” He pressed a kiss to Taekwoon’s face. “Well, let me tell you a secret. The first Alphas of Moon Shadows are reported to be Fated Mates as well.”

 

“Sounds beautiful.” Taekwoon said wistfully.

 

Not as beautiful as you. Sanghyuk thought briefly before delving into the history of Moon Shadows and the sister packs.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

A few days later Songhyon was facing Juwon with an amused expression.

 

“Father, please.” Juwon sighed, running a hand down his face. “We could still be in danger. We haven’t gotten any news back from any Sister Packs.”

 

“So that automatically means that something happened?” Songhyon leaned back, raising his eyebrows. “I have been an Alpha way longer than you have and even I am not afraid for our Sister Packs.”

 

Juwon pursed his lips, slightly pissed off that his father had brought that up. Yes, he was afraid for his Sister Packs but at least Verrer was willing to cooperate and seemed to be quite good with medicine. The Alpha glanced back at the building with a flick of his ear.

 

“Sanghyuk and Taekwoon are out of commission for the time being. I can’t risk putting any of the pups in danger…” Juwon started.

 

Songhyon rolled his eyes. “They won’t be. I will be with them and a few other wolves would be there as well.”

 

Juwon gave his father a look. “You really aren’t going to give up, are you? They are allowed out of the town.”

 

“But aren’t allowed to explore like they used to.”

 

“Fine.” Juwon sighed loudly. “Fine. As long as you don’t take your eyes off them. They are kids and they’d do anything they can to get away from the watchful eyes of any older pack members.”

 

Even Kangmin even though he should know better.

 

Songhyon smiled at his son. “Don’t worry. They’ll be fine.”

 

I hope you are right.