The Calm Before The Storm

Under The Full Moon

This chapter is a little janky because I feel like an entire section of the planning was missing for this chapter and it was meant to be longer but I decided to make the next chapter longer than it originally was meant to be instead.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sanghyuk groaned as he blinked his eye open slightly, focusing on Taekwoon who was curled up against him. Their tails intertwined under the blanket, and Sanghyuk realised he must’ve wrapped them up in the blankets sometime during the night.

 

Taekwoon’s skin was warm and Sanghyuk ducked his head, nuzzling his hair.

 

Their scents were mingled to the point that there was no difference between their scents and glancing at the claim mark on Taekwoon’s neck, Sanghyuk felt pride bubble up within him. His arms tightened around Taekwoon’s waist, keeping him close.

 

Mine. All mine. His wolf boasted and even Sanghyuk could keep the smile off his face at that.

 

Sure, he wasn’t going to keep Taekwoon down, but hey, Taekwoon is his and he is Taekwoon’s.

 

“Sanghyuk.” Taekwoon murmured, his breath was warm against Sanghyuk’s chest. “What time is it?”

 

Sanghyuk glanced at the clock on his bedside table. Eyes furrowing as he tried to focus on the bright red numbers but finally could make out exactly what it was.

 

“Almost seven.”

 

Taekwoon sighed and settled back down to almost sleep. His leg slung over Sanghyuk’s waist and his arm stretched out to curl around Sanghyuk as well. Clearly he wanted to stick to Sanghyuk.

 

Fingers trailed down the white wolf’s side, resting on his hips and Sanghyuk could feel Taekwoon lightly shaking in his embrace. He was slightly concerned for how Taekwoon was feeling. That bite mark couldn’t be not painful – it drew blood after all.

 

“Are you alright, sweetheart?” Sanghyuk asked, listing one hand to brush against the mark.

 

Taekwoon shivered against the touch. His eyes slowly opened to look at Sanghyuk’s face. Studying his expression and to see how bothered Sanghyuk actually was about the entire thing.

 

“I’m fine.” Taekwoon hummed, head tilting back to their eyes met with better ease. “Are you regretting it?”

 

“Absolutely not.” Sanghyuk huffed. “I wouldn’t have done it if I doubted it or doubted it from you.”

 

Taekwoon snuggled into his chest once again, eyes closing as if he wanted to go back to sleep but Sanghyuk knew better than that. He was just getting comfortable.

 

“I meant your mark. It drew blood…”

 

“It doesn’t hurt at all. It feels lovely actually.”

 

Sanghyuk did notice that the mark had changed during the night. Instead of being a simple bite mark, it had shifted to match a faint design of a moon with a cloud in front of it. His eyes trailed over it again and again, trying to memorise it and keep it stuck in his mind.

 

It wasn’t a clear mark as it wasn’t an official mating mark only a claiming one.

 

Yet, it was clear as to what it was.

 

Moon Shadows.

 

Sanghyuk knew his mother has a mark very similar with more storm clouds while Taekwoon’s seems to have more a moon look within it. Which makes sense because of his white fur.

 

My moon.

 

Taekwoon huffed, seemingly sensing that Sanghyuk was lost in his thoughts. Fingers trailed down Sanghyuk’s arm who looked at his face which had a smug grin on it.

 

“Seriously? Are you trying to distract me?” Sanghyuk asked, tugging Taekwoon up so they could face each other properly.

 

“Yes. From your thoughts.” Taekwoon stuck his tongue out at Sanghyuk who only laughed at him.

 

Sanghyuk leaned forward and felt Taekwoon’s breath on his face. The younger shifted against him and brushed their noses together and grinned at Sanghyuk as he snorted at the action. He wasn’t expecting it, Taekwoon was acting really cute this morning but he wasn’t going to complain. If Taekwoon wanted to be doted on by Sanghyuk then who was he to say otherwise.

 

“You are acting really cute this morning.” Sanghyuk hummed.

 

“Am I?” Taekwoon looked confused as he couldn’t tell his personality and actions were slightly different to what it normally is.

 

“Yeah. Typically by this point you are wanting to get out of bed.”

 

“But it’s cold outside.” Taekwoon whined as he cuddled back into Sanghyuk’s side, face pressing into Sanghyuk’s neck.

 

Sanghyuk just smiled at Taekwoon and curled his arms tight around him. “It’s cold for you because we are .”

 

“Yeah, but how are you not bothered?”

 

“I was born and raised here my entire life. I’m used to the cold temperatures in winter.” Sanghyuk explained as he pushed himself up into a sitting position despite Taekwoon’s whines.

 

“Don’t get up.”

 

“I was getting sore laying on my side.” Sanghyuk chuckled. “But we should have to get up. Lest my parents decide to wonder why we are still in bed.”

 

“But the bed is comfy.”

 

“I know, love.”

 

“We shouldn’t have to get up.”

 

“I know but I do have a duty to the pack, and so do you.” Sanghyuk ran his tongue along the mark and Taekwoon had to bit his lip to keep himself from letting out a shocked and surprised noise. “Especially now that the pack will know you are going to be my mate.”

 

Taekwoon hummed softly. “The pack knows Seungri is expecting. They can’t wait to have some more pups. Apparently it’s been a while since the last pup was born.” He looked at Sanghyuk with furrowed brows at that. “Why?”

 

“Yeah, the youngest pup is only four years old.” Sanghyuk said. “We…There are some years where we get several pups within two years of each other and then we can go almost six years without another pup being born into the main pack.”

 

“Your sister packs?”

 

“Our sister packs.” Sanghyuk corrected and Taekwoon merely swatted his shoulder in response. “Typically a few pups every two to three years. They need to have more wolves than us as they are the main line of defence.”

 

Taekwoon nodded and stretched out along Sanghyuk’s body before pushing himself up, his ears twitching. Sanghyuk quickly realised what had caught his attention, hearing footsteps approaching his room and Sanghyuk remembered that he door wasn’t locked.

 

“! My door isn’t locked.” Sanghyuk hissed, lightly pushing at Taekwoon’s chest. He figured he’d let Taekwoon stay in bed while he threw on a pair of pants. To try and not reveal that they were both that morning.

 

His mate only laughed as he tugged the blanket around his body, watching Sanghyuk toss on a pair of boxers and tugged on a pair of sweatpants as well. Taekwoon didn’t even make any attempts at leaving the bed and only relaxed on the mattress, his ears twitching in amusement.

 

“SANGHYUK!” Holland yelled from the other side of the door. “Get up!”

 

“I am up you !” Sanghyuk snapped as he opened the door to glare at his brother.

 

Holland didn’t seem bothered by the annoyed look on Sanghyuk’s face. He looked around Sanghyuk to see Taekwoon looking quite comfy on the bed but without the desire to leave and face the world. The young Alpha flicked his tail when Holland raised his eyebrows.

 

“Nice mark.” Holland grinned as Sanghyuk and Taekwoon both stiffened and Taekwoon slap his hand over his neck where the mark was located.

 

Sanghyuk bit his lip. “It isn’t a-“

 

“I know the difference between a mating and a claiming mark.” Holland scoffed, waving his hand. “It looks nice though from what I could tell. It isn’t clear because it isn’t a mating mark.” He stepped back to raise his eyebrows at Sanghyuk. “Mum and dad want you to help with a sister pack.”

 

“Which one?”

 

“Moon Shadows Crystals.” Holland stated.

 

“The one near The Evening Pack?” Sanghyuk remembered that MS Crystals were the pack that Joshua and Luhan were a part of. He wondered how they dealt with their wolves being attacked by the Evening Pack. No one would sit idlily by.

 

“Yeah. There seems to be some issues with Evening Pack and mum and dad want you to check it out.” Holland explained and glanced at Taekwoon who seemed concerned and worried about the entire thing. “No fights have broken out yet but they are worried. Haebin is not strong enough and they figured you’d be a good choice to come and check out the situation. Try and defuse any tensions.”

 

Before Sanghyuk could say anything Taekwoon piqued up. “Can I come?”

 

“What?” Sanghyuk yelped.

 

“I want to come. Can I?” Taekwoon asked adjusting the blanket around him.

 

Holland shifted before stepping back. “You two can talk but inform mum and dad of your decision – also of the claiming mark.” He turned and walk away from the class, knowing better than to hang around when very clearly this was a discussion solely for the two of them.

 

Sanghyuk closed the door and watched as Taekwoon slipped out of bed to throw on some of Sanghyuk’s clothes. “Why do you want to go?”

 

“It’s a sister pack, certainly I should go. If the pack is tense then my presence should ease it, right?” Taekwoon asked as he turned around to fully face Sanghyuk with raised eyebrows. “Or am I mistaken?”

 

“I mean, you aren’t but…Moon Shadows Crystals is near the Evening Pack.”

 

“I know that.”

 

“The pack that is working with your father.” Sanghyuk knew he sounded desperate and Taekwoon met his gaze hearing the distress in his tone.

 

Taekwoon stepped forward and leaned up to Sanghyuk’s face, their noses and lips brushing against each other. “I know that.”

 

“Then why do you want to come with me?” Sanghyuk asked, perplexed as to why Taekwoon would willingly put himself into danger with being so close to his father who clearly wants Taekwoon. Even attacking Moon Shadows to get him, and possibly kill him.

 

“They are my pack too.” Taekwoon argued. “Moon Shadows Crystals are my wolves as well, I mean. I am your mate. Certainly if I go with you to show them myself so they know that my father and old pack is after their future Alpha’s mate.”

 

Sanghyuk sighed, knowing Taekwoon was right. As his mate, Taekwoon did have the right to visit their sister packs and get the other wolves to get a feel of Taekwoon’s aura, scent and presence. His ears pulled forward as he closed his eyes, resting their heads together.

 

“I…I understand, love, but I don’t want to risk you getting into any danger or trouble.”

 

Taekwoon shook his head. “You worry way too much. When we step up after your parents I’m going to have to do things myself without you.”

 

“I know.” Sanghyuk mumbled and pulled away. “Come on. Let’s get dressed. It’s almost nine now.”

 

“So I can go?”

 

“There is no stopping you.”

 

Taekwoon could only smile in response.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Miyong raised an eyebrow at Taekwoon who was shifting uneasily in the chair. He wanted to hide the mark on his neck but knew better.

 

Her smile changed into one of happiness, eyes sparkling. “Do not worry, my dear.”

 

Taekwoon looked up at her with a confused expression. “Huh?”

 

“Moon Shadows Crystals are a very loyal pack and would not think twice to trust you. Sanghyuk wouldn’t take a mate that he doubted or didn’t trust, even if you are Fated Mates.” Miyong explained.

 

Taekwoon frowned and blinked. “I thought you’d mention the mark I have.”

 

The older Alpha merely laughed. “Why should I?”

 

“Because Sanghyuk had only properly courted me for a day and he’s already marked me?” Taekwoon couldn’t understand why Miyong was taking that as easily as she was.

 

“Let’s be real for a moment, my dear. We all knew that it was just a matter of time at this point. This is not a surprise to literally anyone within the pack, regardless of what you may think.” Miyong explained, resting her hand on top of his. “Do not worry about anything, Taekwoon.”

 

The younger pursed his lips as he tried to sort out his thoughts about the journey to Moon Shadows Crystals pack territory. He knew that there are parts of the territory that is still part of the territory but isn’t as actively patrolled. That distance is about three  metres wide, wide enough to hold a few wolves of his old pack and the Evening Pack who are also after him.

 

“I am just worried that we’ll get ambushed on the way there and get attacked.” Taekwoon admitted for the first time. Sanghyuk wasn’t lying about that being something that they should be worried about. He felt bad for telling Sanghyuk that there was no need to be worried.

 

Miyong hummed and rested back. “I see why but you two don’t need to worry too much. Well, perhaps you do.”

 

She sounded worried and concerned as she glanced out the window and popped a piece of fruit into and Taekwoon did the same. His mouth was going dry and should really eat and drink up in order to not feel unwell on the journey since it will take a few hours to get to the edge of the main territory and another couple of hours before they get to the town.

 

They were leaving soon but both just needed to talk to Sanghyuk’s parents first before they could go.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“It’s the full moon tonight.” Miyong stated simply.

 

Well, Taekwoon already knew that. He’d been watching the moon phases as best he could with the storm clouds covering the sky but thankfully he’d gotten better at sensing the phases with how strong and active his wolf was.

 

“I guessed. My wolf has been very active today.” Taekwoon said.

 

“Yes, and she is probably wanting to egg Sanghyuk’s wolf on. Just, try and keep your instincts in line but that is probably mainly because of the claiming mark.” Miyong explained and turned to face him. “Yet, it may be the full moon but that isn’t the entire point.”

 

Taekwoon perked up, sensing the unease from Miyong and wanted to desperately calm and reassure her that he and Sanghyuk will be fine. “What do you mean?”

 

“It’s the full Lunar Eclipse.” Miyong said voice lowering to show the importance of her words.

 

“And?” Taekwoon had witnessed many Lunar Eclipses but none of them were of any issue to himself. “Why is that suddenly so important?”

 

Miyong sighed. “Lunar eclipses are incredibly dangerous for Alpha wolves who are mated. It rarely affects me and Juwon anymore because we have pups but you and Sanghyuk will be affected by the lunar eclipse.”

 

Taekwoon just furrowed his brows. “And?”

 

“You really don’t know.” Taekwoon shook his head and Miyong’s shoulders relaxed. “Well, I should explain. Lunar eclipses are sensitive times for wolves, especially male Alpha wolves. However, it changes depending on person and some are just not fazed at all.”

 

Taekwoon wanted to ask some more but then the door opened to reveal Juwon and Sanghyuk who were looking at them.

 

Juwon nuzzled Miyong and Taekwoon noticed Sanghyuk roll his eyes and stick his tongue out at his parents displays of love. Taekwoon lightly nudged him and trilled quietly under his breath and saw Sanghyuk huff and turn away.

 

“Did you tell Taekwoon to be cautious of the Lunar Eclipse?”

 

“Yes.” Miyong nodded and looked at Sanghyuk. “Sanghyuk?”

 

“I’ve always known of the dangers of Lunar Eclipses, especially as wolves.” Sanghyuk’s comment was simple and sounded a little bit offended that his mother would even question his knowledge on such a topic.

 

Taekwoon could’ve been sceptical at first if Miyong didn’t sound worried and concerned about the entire thing. He still didn’t really see the problem of it all. He and Sanghyuk would just be going to a sister pack and the territory was connected without a sure-fire way of realising where the territories change.

 

Sanghyuk looked at Taekwoon, tail twitching. “Are you ready? We should leave as soon as we can if we want to get there at a reasonable time.”

 

“Yeah, I’m ready.” Taekwoon smiled and glanced at their Alphas who were watching them carefully.

 

Juwon stood up straighter. “Please keep yourselves safe tonight. I don’t want either of you to fall victim to the Lunar Eclipse.”

 

“We won’t.” Sanghyuk sounded so certain but even then Taekwoon wondered if he would keep himself in check.

 

He was aware that Sanghyuk had snapped out at the Evening Pack when they had attacked Joshua and Luhan. Jongsoo and Xiumin had told him that after it was revealed they were Fated Mates. They deemed he deserved to know about it; also the benefit of him being his mate meant that Taekwoon would be the only person to talk Sanghyuk down from something like that.

 

Sanghyuk looked at Taekwoon and wrapped his arm around his waist. “Come on. Let’s go.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

The two wolves slipped through the grass, the long grass strands brushed Taekwoon’s side and he shivered at the slight ticklish sensation. Sanghyuk glanced back at him and trilled at him, the large wolf look too much like a puppy as he bounded through the wet lands.

 

Taekwoon could only laugh as he raced after him. The mountains were looming above them but Taekwoon now knew that their sister pack was on the other side of the mountains. They wouldn’t be there until morning so he didn’t really mind.

 

His white fur stood out against the land but Sanghyuk didn’t seem to mind as he trotted around him. Almost showing off to Taekwoon. The white wolf looked at Sanghyuk in amusement, his dark fur blended it but the silver glints caused him to stand out.

 

“Are you trying to flirt?” Taekwoon asked as he approached Sanghyuk, raising his tail. He should really keep  his instincts in check. So this is what Miyong talked about.

 

He was trying to push for the mating to finish before both of them discussed it. He walked around Sanghyuk who had fallen silent and his gaze had hardened as his mate approached him. Taekwoon was playing with fire here but he didn’t mind, the wind was cold and his fur could only keep the cold at bay for so long. Sanghyuk would be so warm.

 

“You know you don’t need to.” Taekwoon’s tail curled around Sanghyuk as best it could as he continued to walk around the much larger wolf.

 

Sanghyuk huffed and growled, nipping at Taekwoon’s tail and ears. “You are pushing it, love.”

 

“Am I?” Taekwoon asked as he began to walk away, flicking his tail in an attempt to lure Sanghyuk after him.

 

He could feel Sanghyuk’s uncertainty but could sense the exact moment his resolve broke, leading Taekwoon to bound forward. He needed to make Sanghyuk work for it and was going to make sure he wasn’t caught by Sanghyuk right away.

 

What is the point otherwise?

 

Sanghyuk launched himself after him. “Taekwoon!”

 

Taekwoon almost hesitated as the slightly panicked tone that Sanghyuk called out to him in. He glanced over his shoulder and saw Sanghyuk’s eyes flicker around but not being able to see anything. Taekwoon slowed to a stop like Sanghyuk did, his ears pulled forward and his eyes narrowed, trying to find something. Whatever had caught his attention.

 

“Sanghyuk?”

 

“Something is here.”

 

Sanghyuk’s tone was an almost growl and Taekwoon turned around to walk towards him but then the wind picked up, changing direction to draw the scent of a wolf Taekwoon never wanted to ever meet again.

 

“Something?” Both wolves spun around, Sanghyuk snarling as a wolf showed itself from the shadows but remained hidden. “I think you meant to say ‘someone’.”

 

Please. Don’t let it be. Taekwoon begged in his mind as he noticed Sanghyuk take a protective step forward.

 

The wolf seemed to sneer before stepping out just as the clouds broke to reveal the full moon high above them.

 

Taekwoon’s heart stopped as he took in the wolf he had thought he was no longer afraid of.

 

The wolf raised his head, his eyes sparkled in the light of the moon but all Taekwoon could see was pure, unfiltered rage and fury within him.

 

Brayden bared his teeth. “It’s been a while…Leo.”