Alphas Challenge

Under The Full Moon

“I was wondering when you’d show up.” Kole snarled as he rolled his shoulders back.

 

Sanghyuk snorted to himself. This was an Alpha? He was small and definitely not someone Sanghyuk would ever consider a threat to himself.

 

Sanghyuk looked at the others behind him and flicked his tail, telling them to stay quiet. They listened but Sanghyuk could still feel the anger from them.

 

He could understand their anger but this was no time to strike out from it.

 

“I was told about you, Kole.” Sanghyuk hummed, forcing his body to relax even though he really didn’t want to.

 

One way to piss off an Alpha who wanted to challenge you was to act calm and relaxed about it. As though you don’t find them an actual challenge. It was a sure-fire way to send the other Alpha into a rage.

 

And Sanghyuk was always one to test out those theories and beliefs.

 

“You aren’t worried.” Kole hissed. “We have your pack.”

 

Sanghyuk snorted. “I can see that, but seriously, do you expect me to be worried?” His claws scratched at the ground and tossed his head back. “Your wolves are tiny in comparison to you and you are tiny in comparison to me. You are the least threatening wolf I have ever met.”

 

Kole stepped closer and Sanghyuk heard Jiyong and Wonshik let out a warning growl but the other Alpha didn’t even heed their warnings.

 

“You think I am scared of a Beta?” He sneered at Wonshik who met his gaze evenly.

 

“You should be.” Wonshik snapped.

 

Sanghyuk muttered. “Wonshik, stand down. I will not let anyone get into any needless fights under my watch.”

 

His Beta grumbled but still listened to his Alpha’s instructions.

 

“Thank you.” Sanghyuk saw Kole turn his gaze back to him. “Now, now, I just want to talk.”

 

“I have your brother and pack, so you should listen to what I have to say.” Kole growled and his wolves all approached but Sanghyuk merely chuckled at the actions.

 

“Oh? I just want to talk.” He smirked at the annoyance that began to radiate from Kole.

 

Kole hissed. “Why aren’t you wanting to do as I say to give them up?”

 

Sanghyuk stepped towards him to the point he was standing right in front of Kole. The smaller Alpha had to tilt his head back to meet the gaze of Sanghyuk who was keeping his emotions in check and not revealing anything.

 

“Because I’ve heard about you Kole. From reliable sources.” Sanghyuk said.

 

“Reliable sources? Pfft, yeah right.” Kole scoffed.

 

Sanghyuk hummed and looked around the pack, noting the small and lithe forms. How some of the wolves were nervous and looked as though they were forced to be in Kole’s pack. Perhaps also treated as badly at Yuni and Taekwoon.

 

That angered Sanghyuk even more but he couldn’t show this.

 

He had to remain calm, no matter how much it pissed off Kole. That was his goal after all.

 

“Your wolves are thin.” Sanghyuk stated simply as he frowned. “Weak.”

 

“My wolves are not weak!”

 

“But you admit they are thin.” Sanghyuk shook out his fur and noticed that his own wolves studied the Night Walkers wolves closer. “They look as though they haven’t been fed properly in months, let alone days. Since I’m guessing you wanted to take over our pack to spread your own territory.”

 

“That is not the reason at all.” Kole argued. “But, that is a good side effect.”

 

“Good side effect?” Sanghyuk blinked. Suddenly a bark of laughter escaped him. “Your wolves don’t look like they are capable of taking down any of the large animals in our territory.”

 

Sanghyuk looked at Kangmin who was just blinking at him. The tear stains on his cheeks made Sanghyuk feel bad for not answering his brother’s call. He just couldn’t, he needed to keep an air of suspense and lower Kole’s concern for the fact that he had pissed off Moon Shadows.

 

“Were they able to?” Sanghyuk directed the question to his brother. Certainly Kangmin would be able to give him a proper answer.

 

“Not for a while.” Kangmin whispered, though because of the silence everyone heard his words.

 

Kole spun around to glare at the younger Alpha. “How dare-!”

 

Sanghyuk stepped between Kole and Kangmin. His ears pulled forward and bared his fangs. “If you get anyone to harm my brother, I will not hesitate to let my wolves attack.”

 

“They won’t be able to. They are the weak ones here.” Kole sneered.

 

“They are only holding back because I have not told them to attack. They can easily turn the tables and have been able to do so for the entire time you’ve been here.” Sanghyuk said. “But, their loyalty to their Alphas is stronger and they want to keep in line to protect their Alpha and their pups.” He flicked his tail to gesture to Night Walkers wolves. “How many of your wolves would do that for you? How many would keep in line to wait for you to come?”

 

The wolves all shifted and Sanghyuk saw his own wolves beginning to puff up to show their confidence and strength that they were hiding.

 

“More so.” Sanghyuk met Kole’s gaze. “Would you do anything to save them or would you leave them?”

 

Kole said nothing.

 

“That’s what I thought.” Sanghyuk stepped away to walk around the town centre, gazing over the wolves. His eyes landed on Yuni and noticed how she looked smug at Kole being put into his place.

 

Well, not final. Sanghyuk could tell that Kole was going to attack him once his back was fully turned to him.

 

Sanghyuk was surprised that Kole would do such a thing considering that Night Walkers were clearly at the disadvantageous here. Moon Shadows had clearly gained the extra strength they needed.

 

It was because their heir was with them.

 

“Anyway, why did you come here?” Sanghyuk stopped to face Kole as he stood before his wolves. “Since you just said that you weren’t here to expand your territory, mind you whatever you say is breaking the laws that wolf packs follow.”

 

“We follow no laws like you do. No wonder you are weak.” Kole spat but Sanghyuk didn’t give him the time of day.

 

“No wonder you will actively attack another pack when their sitting Alphas are nowhere to be found. No wonder your wolves look like they can be pushed away by the next round of breezes. No wonder you will resort to attacking another pack solely because you want a wolf within their ranks.”

 

Kole fell silent and Sanghyuk’s ears twitched as he heard his wolves growl but silenced them by shifting his back paw slightly. He heard Jiyong grumble about not being able to put Kole into his place but understood that Sanghyuk was making the decisions here.

 

“You acknowledge you have Leo.” Kole said and his own wolves stood up with growls. “He belongs to us.”

 

Oh hell no! Sanghyuk almost lashed out right then and there. Taekwoon is MINE.

 

His lips curled to reveal his teeth and fangs. “Like the way your mate belongs to you?”

 

They all looked at Yuni who was surprised that attention was drawn to her instead of keeping it away from her. Sanghyuk felt bad for doing so but he’d make sure that Kole was still focused on him. Taekwoon would never forgive him if he allowed his sister to get hurt when he could do something about it and didn’t.

 

“You met him.” Kole stepped towards Yuni who stared at the wolves that turned to her with bared teeth.

 

Sanghyuk snarled loudly, catching everyone’s attention. Wonshik and Jiyong bounded forward and ensured they stood between Yuni and the other wolves. Their own teeth bared as they protected the female.

 

“You’ve abused her, her and treated her like .” Sanghyuk hissed. “She looks terrible and you’d bring shame to all Alphas if they found out about this.” His tail lashed from side to side. “You forced her to carry your pups, currently forcing her to carry the pups she is right now. Forcing her to do things she doesn’t and not giving her enough food and care to make sure that those pups are actually healthy.”

 

Kole hissed. “You don’t-“

 

“I don’t have a say?” Sanghyuk snarled. “I don’t have a say considering you have done the exact same thing to MY ing mate?!”

 

Everyone fell silent and they all stared at Sanghyuk who had finally snapped.

 

“You had a mate and yet you treated my mate the same. You don’t think I have a right to get involved? Buddy.” Sanghyuk’s sneer was deadly. “I have more rights than anyone to get involved considering that those scars have remained with him for this long and for a much longer time.”

 

“No one can love that up!” Kole snarled as he bristled up not noticing the fact that he was treading on thin ice. “How could you make that pathetic wolf your mate? He is only good for one thing and one thing only. A male alpha with a female wolf?”

 

Sanghyuk just growled. Oh. No-one calls Taekwoon pathetic. No-one calls him a up.

 

“No-one calls my mate something so dehumanising and expects me to be okay with it.” Sanghyuk’s voice and tone were even but the anger and fury were clear to anyone.

 

“Oh no.” He heard a wolf whisper.

 

Oh on is correct.

 

Kole crouched. “He is picky and the only reason he chose to say is because he was dragged down by everything we did and he accepted his fate. The fate that he is nothing and will never be anything in life.”

 

“Sanghyuk.” Wonshik said, realising that Sanghyuk’s mind had snapped. “Don’t.”

 

Sanghyuk didn’t turn his gaze from Kole and was silent as he listened to the words he declared. Taekwoon was something. Taekwoon has a future with them and is loved by the pack.

 

“You’re twisted.” Sanghyuk whispered, voice dropping. “You will advocate for the torture and mistreatment of another wolf.”

 

“Only of wolves who deserve it. Such as wolves who don’t want to join me.” Kole puffed out his chest.

 

Why was he proud of that?

 

He was so proud of destroying the lives of innocents?

 

This is the wolf who destroyed Yuni and Taekwoon with their past.

 

This is the wolf who doesn’t give a single about the wolves under his care.

 

Sanghyuk dug his claws into the ground and howled. His howl will drag his pack to join because they will know that they are needed and that their Alpha is calling for them.

 

“Yuni and Leo’s father will destroy your pack.” Kole hissed. “You should just hand Leo over now.”

 

“Taekwoon is mine and I will die before I let anyone go near him who are going to treat him like .” Sanghyuk snarled as he reared back onto his back feet. “Good luck in breaking our pack, you will realise why we are feared and revered here.”

 

“A bunch of !” Kole snarled and leaped forward. “Give him to us!”

 

Sanghyuk dropped back down and launched himself forward.

 

He tackled into Kole’s body and the two of them fell to the ground. Sanghyuk struck out at Kole’s face, not caring about the blood that splattered across the ground. Kole snarled and dug his teeth into Sanghyuk’s shoulder and his back paws pushed out, trying to knock Sanghyuk off balance.

 

Sanghyuk jerked away, feeling the blood run down his leg and really could only see a wolf that had treated his mate like .

 

A wolf that didn’t deserve the title of Alpha.

 

Thunder rumbled loudly above them and Sanghyuk launched forward again to knock Kole into the ground. His paws dug into Kole’s shoulders as he kept him pinned to the ground. His teeth were bared and threateningly to his throat.

 

He could easily rip it out. Right here and now.

 

Kole snarled. “Now!”

 

Sanghyuk spat. “I was going to go easy on you but since your wolves are attacking…” He looked up and smirked. “Our pack is dangerous, Kole. You should know this.”

 

Kole followed his gaze to see his wolves getting taken down by the Moon Shadows wolves. There were even amounts of wolves but most wolves were around to protect the pups from Night Walkers. Keeping them safe from any further danger to their lives.

 

Kole hissed. “Your pack won’t kill my wolves. We both know that.”

 

“We like having a fair fight. Except, since I have to prove a point to you…”

 

A loud snarl was the only warning anyone got before more wolves burst forward. Sanghyuk’s current wolves looked relieved to have their packmates join them and help push back these wolves who have no right to be here. To be threatening their pack in anyway.

 

Yuni had been brought to their ranks, protected alongside the pups.

 

Sanghyuk wasn’t worried.

 

She was pregnant and therefore his wolves would die to keep her safe even though she isn’t part of their pack. Yet, anyway. She will be. Sanghyuk knows they can keep her safe better than anyone else could. Considering some packs would just kill her pups after they are born.

 

Sanghyuk leaped away from Kole to stand in front of his wolves.

 

There was a clear divide between the two packs and Sanghyuk was less bothered. Night Walkers were injured and bleeding more so than his wolves who seemed tense about a fight breaking out.

 

He had to keep this simple and only between himself and Kole.

 

This was not a fight between their packs.

 

This was a fight between Alphas.

 

Sanghyuk huffed. “I was wondering when you’d get here.”

 

Sungjae rolled his eyes. “Our sister packs were already close and the only reason they didn’t attack earlier was because you hadn’t called for them.”

 

Sanghyuk nodded to the sitting Betas of those two sister packs who smiled at their Alpha before growling as well.

 

Sanghyuk shook his fur and stood fully up. “Kole.”

 

“Would you let your wolves kill mine?” Kole asked, standing up as well to growl at him. “That isn’t very Alpha-like.”

 

“You’re right. It isn’t.” Sanghyuk nodded. “I wouldn’t want us to kill any of your wolves. I’d rather see if any of them want to join us instead.”

 

Okay. Perhaps his pack wouldn’t be fully accepting of letting wolves come in from a pack that had attacked a sister pack. However, those who are fully willing to do so will be accepted as long as they follow the rules placed on them.

 

“My wolves would never join your pack.” Kole sounded so sure about that.

 

Sanghyuk rolled his eyes and looked at the wolves behind Kole. “Oh? Who wants to argue with that point?”

 

He saw several perk up and make an attempt to move forward but didn’t.

 

“It is alright.” Sanghyuk reassured. “It is fine. We will be here to protect you.”

 

Wonshik nodded beside Sanghyuk. “You will be under Sanghyuk and his parent’s protection.”

 

The wolves looked between each other and the ones who perked up moved to the sides of their pack and made their way towards Moon Shadows. Sanghyuk felt smug and pride when he saw his wolves step forward to comfort the obviously distressed wolves.

 

Kole growled. “How dare you! You betrayed me! Going against the pack that has given you everything you could have ever wanted and you want to join these wolves who claim they know better!”

 

Sanghyuk snorted at Kole’s words. “Yet, they have chosen to leave you because they acknowledge they deserve better than whatever you gave them.”

 

Kole lowered his head and chuckled darkly. The sound sent shivers down Sanghyuk’s spine. He had relaxed a lot since the previous fight, mainly because he wanted to keep his pack calm.

 

Sanghyuk crouched, preparing for a fight that he knew was coming.

 

“Your pack is raised by weaklings. Your parents don’t want to accept it and claim their pack is superior to everyone else.”

 

“We don’t think that. Our pack is the oldest and strongest in the area. Our neighbours can agree on that fact.”

 

“They just don’t want to wipe the ground with your blood and dead bodies.” Kole looked up to meet Sanghyuk’s eyes. His eyes were blood red and he looked manic.

 

.

 

Sanghyuk snarled and stepped forward to put more distance between himself and his pack. He didn’t want Kole to attack any of them.

 

Kole sprung forward and Sanghyuk was prepared for it. Meeting him half way and they both ended up on the ground, their claws ripping at the fur on the other’s bodies.

 

Blood stained the ground as Sanghyuk shoved Kole to the side.

 

Kole’s claws came down to rip down Sanghyuk’s face. He let out a loud cry as he felt the blood running down his face.

 

Wonshik looked as though he was about to leap forward but was stopped by the sitting Betas.

 

This was not a fight for them after all and Sanghyuk would be hurt if they got hurt because they protected him. He wouldn’t be able to live with that.

 

“We will have that white wolf. Even if we have to kill him to get him.” Kole said sounding as though he was actually going to do that.

 

Sanghyuk laid his ears back and snapped his eyes open fully. His vision swam with the colour red. The rain pelted down on their bodies and Sanghyuk could only see Kole and everything else had phased out of existence.

 

Sanghyuk jerked back and opened his mouth wide. His mind was focused on one thing and he was going to deal with Kole in the only way that he was able to do so.

 

“Too bad.” Sanghyuk growled, voice dripping with pure anger. “You will never have my mate, not while I’m still breathing.”

 

Kole seemed smug. “Well, you won’t be breathing for much longer.”

 

Sanghyuk’s tongue came out to lap up the blood that had reached his mouth. “Heh. We will see about that.”

 

Kole crouched but Sanghyuk wasn’t bothered. He knew Kole would lash out in impatience and wanting to prove a point but therefore left him at a disadvantage.

 

Sanghyuk waited until Kole had leaped at him to turn around and in the blink of an eye had grabbed Kole’s throat. The other Alpha let out a cry of pain and struggled to get out of Sanghyuk’s jaw. He was not letting up as he slammed the older into the ground, the sound of a bone breaking didn’t even deter Sanghyuk at all.

 

Instead, something akin to relief that Kole was getting the treatment that he deserved flooded his senses.

 

He deserved worse though.

 

Kole looked dazed as Sanghyuk stood above him. Blood stained Sanghyuk’s maw and teeth and it dripped down onto Kole’s body.

 

“You are right.” Sanghyuk spoke calmly. “I would never get my wolves to kill. But, I never said anything about myself.”

 

Kole could barely make a move to escape before Sanghyuk slammed his paw onto his chest. Claws digging into the skin and pierced it. Kole winced and flinched away from Sanghyuk but was unable to do so.

 

“You wouldn’t.”

 

“You are endangering my pack and threatening my mate. I would. Over and over again.”

 

Sanghyuk noticed his pack making the pups turn away and cover their eyes, knowing what was coming. He blinked and the red was washing away though he could tell that his mind was still reeling.

 

Kole was right in front of him. His throat was open for Sanghyuk’s jaw to clamp around it.

 

His eyes narrowed.

 

Kole hissed. “Get away from me! Let me go!”

 

“No.”

 

Kole barely managed to let out another sound before Sanghyuk surged forward and his teeth ripped into Kole’s throat. His claws digging further into Kole’s chest, blood pooling at his claws and dripping down.

 

Sanghyuk felt the blood bubbling up in his mouth but didn’t want to let go until he couldn’t feel Kole’s heart beat anymore. This wolf should never be alive and keeping him alive would endanger his pack even further. He couldn’t handle the fact that such a wolf would roam nearby and threatening them.

 

Not when he could do something about it.

 

The other wolf is going to be Taekwoon’s father.

 

Jerking his head to the side, a loud crack ripped through the air.

 

Sanghyuk raised his head and only felt the blood rush out of his mouth to stare at the now dead body beneath him. The rush was slowly escaping his mind as he stared at the pool of blood that surrounded Kole’s head and chest.

 

Killing someone was never something Sanghyuk even considered he’d be able to do. Even though all Alphas are just more predisposed to killing in order to protect their pack when needed.

 

Killing was something that scared Sanghyuk and he vowed to never take another life.

 

Yet, here he was. Standing over the dead body of another Alpha.

 

He knew what that meant.

 

All of Kole’s wolves were technically his but Sanghyuk would never want them to join him if they didn’t want to.

 

Sanghyuk took a deep breath before howling to alert any nearby wolves of Moon Shadows that the opposing Alpha was dealt with and doesn’t need to worry any further for their sister pack.

 

He dropped his head and turned to face the other wolves.

 

“You killed him.” One said, voice shaking in horror.

 

“Out of necessity.” Sanghyuk felt guilty. They had no Alpha any more. “Yet, you are not my wolves. Only if you want to join.”

 

“If we do join?”

 

“You will have to listen to the rules that we will have in place for you to ensure you aren’t going to betray us.” Sanghyuk said simply as he stepped away from Kole’s dead body. He didn’t want to stand near his body any further.

 

“Would you treat us terribly?”

 

“No.” Sanghyuk felt sick that they’d consider that he would. “You would just be restricted to the town and having to help out where you can. But, you will be fed to a proper weight and then made to help.”

 

“Building us up with strength to put yourselves more at risk?” Another asked.

 

Wonshik snorted as he approached Sanghyuk. “You are smaller than us and you will still be watched closely. That doesn’t mean that you will be restricted in food. We aren’t s.”

 

The other wolves murmured between each other.

 

Sanghyuk just wanted to get out of here. “Don’t. We will discuss this later, when we are back at the main town and pack centre.” They all turned to him and he turned to the sitting Betas and a few warriors. “Patrol the territory and ensure that our pack scents have remained despite all that has happened.”

 

“In this weather?”

 

“We’ve dealt with worse.” Sanghyuk huffed. “We need to ensure that the territory still is ours with scents. I will be back to reinstate the scent borders on a later date once everything is cleaned up.”

 

They nodded and turned to the other wolves and sent warning growls before rushing off to get to the edge of the territory.

 

Sanghyuk looked at them and sniffed at them. “Relax. We won’t do anything to you but you will have to stay with us as we return to my parents. They will figure out what to do with you.”

 

The other wolves looked between themselves and nodded.

 

They obviously had been raised to keep quiet to Alphas. Sanghyuk had managed to push his Alpha side out in order to make them listen to him. He felt guilty but he needed them to cooperate, he wasn’t going to risk anything bad happening.

 

Kangmin pressed against Sanghyuk’s side. “Brother, are we going home now?”

 

“Yes.” Sanghyuk nodded and looked around the wolves, counting almost one hundred and fifty wolves around him. “But we need food first.” He noticed a few hunters and warriors burst away to go and hunt for the large amount of wolves. Sanghyuk and Kangmin wouldn’t need to eat as much, as Alphas generally need less food.

 

Sanghyuk turned to the Night Walkers. “You may not eat first, since you haven’t joined but you will eat first before my pack.”

 

They looked surprised by this fact and Sanghyuk noted that a few females shifted.

 

Jiyong noted it as well. “However, any females who are expecting pups are to eat first as well.”

 

Thankfulness radiated off of the wolves and Sanghyuk smiled at them. His calm and pleasant smile had allowed them to relax.

 

Yuni stepped towards him and smiled at him. “My brother is lucky to have you. Your pack is lucky to have you as their heir.”

 

Sanghyuk felt embarrassment and ducked his head, ears flicking. “Thank you, Yuni.”

 

“No, thank you.” Yuni nuzzled him neck. “For saving my brother and us and giving the other wolves a chance to accept them.”

 

“If we join you and want to make another sister pack, what can we be called?” The Beta asked, curious as to Sanghyuk’s response.

 

“Most likely Moon Shadows Walkers. That is only if you want to.” Sanghyuk stated simply.

 

The Betas looked at each other and shook their heads.

 

“We can’t stay. We are Betas and we will conflict with you and your pack. We will leave and not show up any more.”

 

Sanghyuk couldn’t argue or try to convince them not to leave. It was their choice after all. “Very well. If that is what you think and want.”

 

They nodded and made their way out of the territory.

 

The next rumble of thunder caught their attention. Sanghyuk weaved between the wolves and whispered to them.

 

“Get to shelter and warm yourselves up.” He looked at Sungjae. “Get Eliza and her sister and her family. Tell them that it is safe to return and bring them here.”

 

Sungjae nodded and bolted off without any more instructions. He didn’t need to be given any more information though.

 

Sanghyuk called out loudly. “All pups and expecting mothers are to be in one room. If the father wishes to be with their mate, then let them. Do not spread out too much otherwise sorting out food would be too difficult and take too long.”

 

The wolves listened and Sanghyuk watched as they all obeyed his words. Walking into the houses around the town centre, a mix of Night Walkers and Moon Shadows. Clearly his pack were keeping an eye on them without being told to.

 

They didn’t need to anyway. It was unspoken.

 

Kangmin shifted against Sanghyuk’s side. “I was worried you were nowhere near us.”

 

Sanghyuk leaned down to nuzzle his brother’s head. the top of his head and chuckling. “Did you really believe that? You should trust me a lot more.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Kangmin whimpered.

 

“Don’t be upset. I’m here now. You are safe and we will be heading home tomorrow.” Sanghyuk’s tail draped across Kangmin’s back and tugging his brother closer to him. “Let’s go and rest. You’ve had a rough couple of days.”

 

“You won’t leave me, will you?” Kangmin looked up, looking so small and vulnerable.

 

“Of course not. I will be here when you wake up. I promise.”