CHAPTER 5

Calm Snow

SinB’s mind was a mess. She looked at Umji who was still trying to catch her breath. She thought about something: on one hand, Sowon was clearly making her become insane as she wanted SinB to surrender to her. On the other hand, SinB had clearly no goal - besides avoiding herself from killing anyone especially Umji - and at the same time she didn’t want to give Sowon whatever she wanted. So, SinB thought about a way to fulfill every of her wishes. She went in the kitchen and grabbed a knife. Then, she went out. The snow … calm snow was welcoming her. SinB had a sad little smile as she thought about how the snow was her beginning and her end. Indeed, she was born in the snow kingdom and now her fairytale - not an ordinary ending for a fairytale but whatsoever - was going to end in the snow too. She thought that at least, with her action, she would pay tribute to her nickname and her kingdom. It was the least she could do for it anyway. Even if a little part inside didn’t want to let Umji alone, because she wanted to heal the loneliness of the girl. But after what she did; she thought that she was herself worst than the loneliness. At least, the loneliness wasn’t killing Umji. In the contrary of SinB. With that thought SinB felt even more determined to end up everything. 

She looked at the scenery: the beautiful sunset, the smoke coming from the chimneys from the village down there. Despite the cold weather, it warmed her heart. But soon that warm heart will bleed as she lift her hand holding the knife. Now, she only had to do one gesture to end everything. She closed her eyes and thought of her kingdom and parents one last time. 

 

« NO ! » 

 

« Don’t do that ! » 

 

She thought it was her mother’s voice but then she saw a red smoke and she understood who it was: Sowon. 

 

She opened her eyes and the tall woman was just in front of her with a horrified and shocked face. 

 

  • Don’t do that ! repeated Sowon. 

 

SinB looked at her with an emotionless expression. Her hands was still raised and holding the knife.
Seeing the lack of reaction of SinB, Sowon spoke again: 

 

  • SinB don’t do that. she said with a calm tone. The fear in her eyes, it was like she really meant it. But this little humanity didn’t trigger much reaction from SinB. 

 

SinB’s hand started lowering in the direction of her heart. Sowon started to approach but SinB accelerated her hand’s movement. So Sowon stopped and surprisingly she kneeled down. 

 

  • Please SinB, I am begging you to stop. she said as she had tears in her eyes. 

 

SinB started to have doubt: her determination wasn’t as strong as before and her gesture looked less convincing. She closed her eyes and put the knife just in front of her heart. All she had to do now, was to push her hands briefly and everything will be over. She frowned and bitted her lips as she tried to gather all her « courage » and focus on that one last move. She breathed in one last time.

 

  • SinB ! I need you. 


SinB’s eyes flicked open in reaction of that last statement. By the way she looked, Sowon was definitely broken. Her eyes were red because of her cries. It almost hurt SinB to see so much pain in Sowon’s eyes. But what was definitely triggering her, was that sentence. Sowon needed her, what was that suppose to mean ? 

 

  • SinB ! Please we can both help each other. So, don’t do that. 

 

SinB’s hand began to tremble. She didn’t know who to trust anymore. She didn’t know what to do … until Umji’s suffering face reappeared in her mind. Indeed, she didn’t think twice anymore and lifted her hand in the air. She was going to lower the knife directly at her heart but before she could do it, something made her knife fell in the floor. She looked at the floor, there was a big rock. Who threw it ? She looked up and Sowon was nowhere to be found. Instead, another woman appeared. But this one looked really real. With that sword and that arch, she looked like a warrior. But she was rather a hunter with the brown clothes she was wearing. She was tall and her smooth black hair was contrasting with the white floor and also with her fair skin. And she had that serious stare, it was really impressive almost intimidating. SinB looked at the floor … the knife. She wanted to take it and to end everything without bothering to know more about the stranger. But before she could do it she felt herself being lifted up. The girl was grabbing SinB by her collar. She was strong as she managed to lift the princess and making it look so easy.

 

  • You think I can let you do that easily. the woman finally said. 

 

  • It is none of your business. 

 

  • Yes, it is because I recognize this knife and if you think I will let you disappear just like that, you’re wrong. 

SinB was speechless. That woman was surely related to Umji as she had recognized the knife. Suddenly, it intrigued her. Just to think that the lonely Umji could know someone as powerful and somehow dangerous as this woman was bothering SinB’s mind. But actually, she shouldn’t be that surprised, after all she knew nothing about Umji. Just the thought of Umji made SinB see the frightened expression on Umji’s face. It was now printed in her mind and just that made her want to die. 

 

  • Please … let me end this. I can’t bear it anymore. begged SinB’s softly. 

 

But the woman was as hard as rock. She didn’t even move a single muscle on her face as her expression remained the same … impassive. 

 

  • No I won’t let you do it. 

 

  • Why ? asked SinB’s weakly. 

 

  • Because … let me do it for you. said the woman as she grabbed SinB’s collar with only one hand now, the other one taking her sword. 


SinB was shocked but everything happened so fast that she just closed her eyes and decided to comply with whatsoever was chosen as her destiny. 

 

  • NOOOOO ! screamed a person.


SinB opened her eyes. She was still alive. It seemed that whoever was the owner of the scream made the woman stopped her action. SinB was relieved she turned around and saw Umji. The latter was the one who screamed. She had tears in her eyes. SinB was clearly shocked. But the woman beside her was even more shocked. Indeed she approached Umji and for the first time she seemed human as worry can be read all over her face. 

 

  • Umji, what happened to you ? Why are you crying ? she asked the girl as she was now just in front of her. 

 

  • Because … you were going to kill her. confessed Umji. 

 

The woman looked even more shocked but also extremely confused. 

 

  • That girl, I thought she had killed you because she was holding one of our knives. I couldn’t trust her. 

 

  • But I am glad you trusted me. said Umji as she wiped her tears and the woman helped her do so with her hand.

 

SinB was speechless. First she was amazed how that tough woman became so soft only thanks to Umji’s presence. And secondly, she was intrigued by the relation that woman had with Umji. They  were clearly living together and SinB feared that they had a special relationship. Wait. Why would she fear that ? It was none of her business and she did know little about Umji. She shouldn’t react like this. But she couldn’t help it. 

Anyway, she looked down at the knife. Something inside her push her to grab it and do what she had been wanted to do for minutes now. But she looked up and her stare ran into Umji’s one. The latter was shyly smiling at her. SinB was dumbfounded. How can Umji still smile at her like that after SinB had tried to kill her ? Even if it was unintentional. 

 

  • Yuju … let me introduce you to my new friend Calm Snow.  Calm Snow this is Yuju ...

 

SinB was waiting for Yuju’s title … but nothing more left Umji’s mouth. So SinB was Umji’s new friend but Yuju who was she ? The lack of information was driving SinB’s mind insane. Yuju seemed surprised. 

 

  • How did you meet her ? she asked Umji and her tone was weird … it sounded like jealously. Or maybe was she overprotecting her ? 

 

  • I found her laid in the white snow in the morning during the sunrise. She had lost her memory. So I am giving her shelter. Calm snow is actually a nickname. 

 

  • How could you give shelter to a stranger ? And why didn’t you wait for my permission ? said Yuju and she sounded somehow angry and revolted. 

 

Umji pouted. 

 

  • Because I trust her. And I did want to tell you but you weren’t there during the whole day … as always. 

 

  • I was hunting animals Umji. This is the only way for us to survive. The real problem now: how can you trust a stranger ? 

 

Umji looked down as if she knew that what was saying Yuju was true. 

 

  • Hey … it is okay. softened Yuju. You know that I am saying that just because I care for you and that I want nothing bad to happen to you. It is just that I saw her hold a knife so I still don’t trust her. Let me talk with her, ok ? 


Yuju let go of Umji’s hand but Umji quickly grabbed it again. 

 

  • Yuju. Promise me you won’t do anything bad to her. 

 

Yuju thought that Umji knew her so well. She bitted her lips. She sighed before replying:

 

  • Ok, I promise you that I won’t kill her.

 

  • No not just that. I don’t want you to hurt her. Please. said Umji with pleading eyes. 

 

Yuju sighed again before nodding her head.

 

  • Fine, I will just talk with her. 

 

 

 

------------------------

End of Chapter 5 

Yuju had finally made her entry. What do you think of her character ? 

Tell me what's you favorite character (and why) and who do you want to end up together. 

Thanks 

xoxo