CHAPTER 16

Calm Snow

SinB began to panic. Sowon was the one grabbing her hand. So SinB looked up at her and fortunately Sowon was still asleep. She was only dreaming. Wait … she called her Yewon. SinB didn’t know who it was but she guessed it was the name of Sowon’s little sister. Sowon began to cry while sleeping. SinB wanted to wake her up but she knew she couldn’t. She wasn’t supposed to be seen by her. Suddenly someone knock at the door. SinB ran back to her hiding-place. She waited minutes before Sowon finally woke up and went to open the door. 

 

  • My queen. said the guard. 

 

  • I hope it is important. It is still early, I was sleeping. complained Sowon. 

 

  • Yes but my queen you told me to wake you up at the crack of dawn. 

 

Sowon was obviously confused. 

 

  • Wait … when have I told you that ? And why ? 

 

  • Yesterday my queen, when I warned you about the arrival of the girls. You told me to prepare everything for their judgment and that it will happen at dawn. 


Now saying that Sowon was confused would be an understatement. It aroused angriness: 

 

  • Who are the girls ? When did I say that ? What’s the hell is happening !

 

SinB widened her eyes. She kind of pitied her as Sowon wasn’t in control of anything. She was powerless and clueless. 


The guard was taken aback. 

 

  • My queen … 

 

  • Leave me alone ! she commanded and he complied with her demand immediately. 

 

SinB felt like she had to do something. However she didn’t have the time because Sowon collapsed on the floor while screaming and seconds after when she calmed herself: it was already too late. Seeing the red color on Sowon’s hair, SinB just left the room. And it was maybe unthinkable but leaving her alone kind of broke her heart. 

 

 

Umji reopened her eyes. She didn’t know how she managed to fall asleep. She looked at Yuju and Umji was hundred per cent sure that she didn’t even close one eye. Being the protective person Yuju was, sleeping was just unthinkable in that situation. Umji felt sad for her because Yuju had done so much for her and the little happiness she indirectly asked for: Umji couldn’t even give it to her. Because it was true that she didn’t have feelings for her. But it wasn’t the problem. Indeed Umji would have accepted Yuju’s feeling because after all they were maybe going to die and she would have been very happy to see Yuju happy. But now there was someone else. Even though that someone wasn’t here, Umji just couldn’t stop thinking about her. 

 

Suddenly, the door opened and a guard appeared. 

 

  • It is time. 

 

The next thing they knew was that they were led to a huge room. On the big throne was the queen herself. Yuju and Umji were both impressed because Sowon with her red hair looked charismatic but there was something dangerous about it. And indeed she was dangerous. All the girls were queuing in line.

 

  • The first one … yes you approach. command Sowon. 

 

The first girl did as told. Sowon stood up from her seat. 

 

  • Oh I know that girl. whispered Yuju to Umji. Indeed it was that innocent and young girl who was just beside her the previous night. 

 

Sowon approached the girl, she looked at her face. A disgusted look appear on Sowon's face before she screamed: 

 

  • Next ! 

 

Yuju sighed in relief. Nonetheless, it was quickly replaced with horror. Indeed the guard asked Sowon what he should do with the girl and suddenly she said: 

 

  • Let her burn. It was as if she had cast a spell - which she certainly did - as the poor girl caught fire. That fire was magical but it had the same effect: the only thing remaining was ashes. 

 

Everyone was frozen. No one dared to move nor speak. Yuju was too shocked to cry. She looked at Umji who was just astonished. They were going to die. It was sure. 

 

  • I said next ! screamed Sowon. 

 

The guard pushed the next girl. She got on her knees. 

 

  • I beg you. Please have mercy on me. 

 

Sowon looked at her emotionless. 

 

  • Everyone will die in this kingdom anyway. I am just making it quick for you. And I am sure it is less suffering than being burned by those big fires. she said cynically.  But if you insist I am letting you have more times …

 

The girl was going to respond but she didn’t have time. The fire ended her. 

 

  • Well I meant I will let you have more seconds, added Sowon sarcastically. 

 

All the girls in front of Umji and Yuju passed after. They all got the same death. Now it was Umji’s turn but suddenly Yuju came in front of her. 

 

  • Oh I see … said Sowon noticing how Yuju went to her instead of Umji. But no, I want to see the other girl first. 

 

  • No, me first. said Yuju

 

  • And why that ? I mean she is also going to die anyway. Oh ... you don’t want to see her died just in front you. Well, be braver. I know you can do it. said Sowon sarcastically. 

 

Yuju was going to attack her when suddenly Umji took her hand. 

 

  • Yuju, it is okay. I am going first. Just before we got separated I wanted to tell you thank you. You saved my life when I was all alone in this horrible world. You offered me the best life I could ever had. You were always there. And now I am sad that we have to say goodbye. I hope you rest in peace. My wish now is that we meet again. And I was a fool for not telling you what you needed to hear. So here it is: I love you Yuju. said Umji. 

 

Yuju was crying. It was unusual: Yuju was crying while Umji was succesfully holding back her tears. Umji was doing so because she wanted to show Yuju that she could be strong. That for once she wanted to be the strong one for Yuju. The latter didn’t want to let go of Umji’s hand. So Umji took her in her arms. She didn’t know how long they stayed like this. Maybe until Sowon spoke: 

 

  • That’s enough. Now come and face your fate. 

 

Umji broke the hug even if Yuju didn’t want to. Now it was Yuju’s time to feel sorry because this time she couldn’t save Umji. She felt powerless and that was the worst feeling ever. She wasn’t the type of person who would believe in spiritual thing. Yet, she was now praying for a miracle. 

 

Umji approached the woman. There was something definitely brave in the way she was walking … something royal. 

 

  • So much confidence. said Sowon. I like that but in the end you will burn just like the others. 

 

Umji didn’t want to give Sowon satisfaction that’s why she was pretending to be strong. She even dared to get closer to Sowon than the other girls. Sowon felt weird. She didn’t know why but she felt weak. It was like her power were diminishing. She immediately understood that she had to get rid of Umji. But the fire wasn’t working on her. Umji was still looking at her as if she was ready to die with dignity. 

 

Suddenly Sowon took out her sword. If the fire wasn’t working, the blade had always been reliable. Umji looked surprised but then she hid it back with an emotionless face. Sowon was going to slit Umji’s throat when suddenly a voice called her out: 

 

  • Sowon wait ! 

 

 

-----------------------

Chapter 16 done 

Do you think someone of the main characters is going to die ?

Btw, do you like the storyline ? 
 

Thank you

xoxo