CHAPTER 15

Calm Snow

Yuju opened her eyes - or at least she tried.  After having been blindfold for hours, the weak bright lighting the room was deemed strong for her. But when she finally managed to open them fully the view she discovered almost made her regret it. There were a lot of young women in the room. And they all shared one thing: the color of their hair was black. Seeing so much people, made Yuju panic. Where was Umji ? Hopefully the hand she felt tied up to hers was Umji’s one. 

 

  • Umji are you okay ? she asked worried. 

 

Umji looked at her and Yuju could see fear in her eyes. She tried to reach her hand and when she managed to do it, she slowly caressed it. In reaction, Umji looked at her with a sad smile. 

 

  • I am scared. she eventually confessed. 

 

Yuju wanted to reassure her so badly but she knew she couldn’t. Because Yuju herself didn’t know what was going to happen to them and their were tied up to each other. 

 

  • It is going to be okay. Don’t worry I will find a way. she partially lied. 

 

Yuju looked at the other girls and they appeared to be all scared. The room was cold, it looked like a cell but it wasn’t as this room had a wooden door. The room was empty though. The stone walls and floor were as cold as the snow outside. 

 

Yuju couldn’t find anything to help them freed themselves. So she looked at Umji. The girl was looking at the floor and seeing her shiver because of the room’s coldness made Yuju want to take her in her arms to warm her. But she couldn’t and it was frustrating. She looked behind Umji and she noticed something on the wall. A royal blason. Maybe an old one because Yuju swore that the current one was different. 

 

  • Do you think we are going to die ? asked a tiny little voice. 

 

Yuju was  surprised as the voice came from the girl at her left. So she turned her head towards her.

 

  • I … I don’t know. Yuju admitted. 

 

The girl looked innocent and younger than the others. The vulnerability in her eyes made Yuju regret her honesty. But she couldn’t have promised her that everything was going to be fine. Yuju was powerless. 

 

  • So the queen is just like her parents: she doesn’t care about us, does she ? 

 

Yuju didn’t know what to say. Suddenly, a guard entered the room. Fear was now really apparent on the girl’s faces. They were all avoiding any eye contact with the guard. The latter spoke: 

 

  • In a few hours, you will be judged by the queen herself. As far as I know, she is only looking for a certain person. I don’t know what will happen to the others though. I can’t promise you anything. 

 

He said before leaving the room. Everyone appeared to be shock and confused at the same time. But Yuju, she could only think of one thing. 

 

  • Umji 

 

Umji looked at her even more afraid than before. She wasn’t smiling anymore. Yuju started to panic, something that was just so unusual for her. 

 

  • Umji there is something you need to know. Just in case we …


Yuju couldn’t manage to finish her sentence. No, it was just unbearable how their lives had changed radically in just a few hours and now they had thoughts about their maybe imminent own deaths. But Yuju didn’t want to leave this world with everything she had let hidden in her heart. Now she wanted to leave freely without any regret. 

 

Umji was looking at her but now her eyebrows were even more frowning. 

 

  • Umji, there is something that I have kept within myself for a long time. But now as I feel like I have nothing to loose, I have to reveal it to you. Umji, I know it might sound crazy, as I know you might see me as your sister, but I have never seen you like this. No, there has always been way more in my eyes. Umji … I love you. 

 

Umji widened her eyes. It was hard for Yuju to read her expression but it didn’t matter. She wasn’t expecting any answer. She wasn’t sure either if she wanted an answer to her confession because after all, it might be the end soon. So it wasn’t worth it. But of course if she does - if Umji’s feeling for her happened to be mutual - that would make Yuju leave this world even more peacefully. But suddenly Umji started to cry. Yuju couldn’t interpret this reaction either. Were there tears of joy or …  ?

 

  • Umji please say something. Why are you crying ? said Yuju getting more and more worried with Umji’s silence. 

 

  • I … I am sorry.

 

That’s the only thing she said but it was enough for Yuju to understand. She put up a sad smile. 

 

  • Don’t worry, it is okay. I just wanted to let you know. Even though it is not mutual, that will change nothing to our friendship. 

 

But deep down it still hurt. 

 

Yuju randomly looked at Umji’s ear. She immediately remarked her earring. It wasn’t the first time she had seen and Umji had told her that she had these earring since she was a child. Yuju analyzed it design and now that she thought about it, it looked exactly like the blazon on the wall. 

 

  • Umji … your earring ! 

 

Umji began to panic. 

 

  • What is with them ? 

 

  • No sorry, I didn’t want to scare you. But it has the same symbol as the blazon behind you ! Do you remember how you got them ? 

 

  • No, I have no idea. I was maybe too young to remember. 

 

 

SinB witnessed everything: how Sowon looked at the landscape through the windows while feeling sorry to her dying kingdom. How she appeared so vulnerable and clueless of what was happening to her. But SinB still didn’t want to believe that Sowon was innocent. Well, she didn’t until she witness the following scene. Indeed, suddenly Sowon - who was still in front of the window - started to grab her head. 

 

  • No … not again ! Leave me alone ! 

 

SinB widened her eyes as it reminded her of this huge headache caused by the magic she had when she was following the guards to the castle. So, Sowon too. Suddenly, SinB felt sorry for her. She almost left her hiding-place but she stopped. After all, that bad magic was still inside Sowon. And as long as it was there, SinB just couldn’t approach Sowon. Especially when doing so would jeopardize Umji and Yuju’s chance of escaping this place. By the way, SinB was increasingly worried for the girls as she had no idea where they were nor whether they were still alive. She wanted to get out but to do she had to approach Sowon as she had the key on her. SinB wondered where Sowon could have put it when her clothes didn’t have any pocket. She tried to guess while analyzing Sowon’s clothes.  But the latter was only wearing a nightie and SinB supposed that she didn’t have any bra under it. Wait … why was she doing that ? SinB wanted to slap herself for having - again- such thoughts. Well, it would be an understatement to say that Sowon was beautiful. She was way more than that. And SinB preferred her in her «normal » state. Maybe because she had seen the other one too much in her nightmares that it made SinB disgusted of her. The real Sowon had that elegant look but there was  still something innocent about her. SinB would even say melancholia. Maybe it was the loneliness. After all, Sowon had lost her parents too and even her little sister. 

 

  • Stop ! 

 

SinB went back to reality and the scene just in front of her scared her. Sowon was now on her bed but she was moving as if she was convulsing. SinB didn’t know what had gotten into her but she wanted to help her. So she left her hiding-place and approached her. But she immediately stopped when she saw Sowon’s hair color turned into red. She ran back to her hiding-place behind the mirror. She was doomed. However, minutes passed and nothing happened. So SinB quickly casted at the bed and saw Sowon’s hair back to her natural color. Was Sowon dead ? SinB wondered and unknowingly that option saddened her. So, she dared leave her place and approached the bed discreetly. Now that she was closer to her, SinB really feel like Sowon was indeed beautiful. Especially in that position, with her eyes closed and her calm face looking so peaceful. SinB sat beside her then she took her wrist lightly and sensed her pulse. She sighed feeling relieved. Suddenly, someone took SinB’s hand and whispered:

 

  • Yewon 

 

 

 

--------------

Chapter 15 done 

So sadly for Yuju, Umji doesn't feel the same towards her. How heartbreaking. 

And no SinB began to change her opinion about Sowon. 

What will happen now ?

Btw, I wonder do you want angst (like someone dying ...) ? 

Thanks 

xoxo