CHAPTER 18

Calm Snow

Suddenly the fire disappeared. The girls took the opportunity to run away. And weirdly the guards didn’t prevent them from doing so. 


Yuju went towards Umji who was still on the floor lying back on her elbows. 

 

  • Are you okay ? she asked the girl.

 

  • Yes, but I think I lost my earring as my ear bleed. 

 

  • Indeed, you lost it and you bleed but don’t worry it is not a serious injury. Yuju reassured her. 

 

SinB stood up. She went towards Sowon who still hadn’t moved: she was still looking at the earring in her hand. Yuju went towards her.  

 

  • SinB just to let you know. I am leaving with Umji. I don’t understand what is happening. But the fire isn’t there so we’re living. she said. 

 

  • Where are you going ? asked SinB 

 

  • We’re going home, where else ? 

 

  • No you can’t. 

 

  • And why not ? said Yuju definitively confused and annoyed.

 

  • Because the kingdom is dying ! If you want to leave, you have 

 

  • Who said we were going to leave ?  cut Umji. 

 

She approached SinB. But suddenly Sowon caught her attention. 

 

  • Oh … isn’t … it … mine ? 

 

  • Oh yes you’re right, it is your earring. approved Yuju. 

 

  • Why is she looking at it like that ? asked Umji. And by the way, what did just happened ? I am confused. 

 

  • I don’t understand either. I swear she was going to kill us just minutes ago. 

 

  • Because she was possessed by a dark magic. said SinB 

 

  • Wait? You’re saying it so casually as if it were normal. said Yuju. 

 

  • Believe me, I didn’t want to believe it at first but now I am sure. 

 

  • And now what does she want with my earring ? asked Umji

 

  • It is your earring ? asked SinB 

 

Sowon suddenly looked at Umji. The latter was scared. Yet, Sowon’s look wasn’t scary anymore. 

 

  • Yewon ? she eventually spoke. 

 

  • Who’s that ? asked Umji. Oh … are you talking to me ? My name is Umji. 

 

  • Yewon is the name of her little sister. said SinB. But why did she call you like that ?

 

  • Because Umji, you’re her sister. said Yuju. 

 

  • Wait what ? SinB and Umji were both surprised. 

 

Sowon was still silently looking at Umji and her face was now wet because of tears. 

 

  • How is that possible ? said SinB 

 

  • Because Umji’s earring has the royal blazon on it. It is the old one. I guess Sowon’s parents changed it when they lost their youngest child. Umji don’t remember how she got it because she was too young. And by the look of it, it looks too expensive for any one in the village or the shepherds to afford it. So as a conclusion, Umji is Yewon. explained smartly Yuju. 

 

  • Yeah you’re right ! admitted SinB. Plus, Umji was found in the forest where Yewon got lost. 

 

Umji was just too shocked to react. Sowon, the queen, was … her big sister. 

 

  • The old woman told me that everything started when Sowon lost her sister. 

 

  • What do you mean by everything ? asked Yuju. 

 

  • I mean the war, the dark magic and now the dying kingdom.

 

  • So everything started because of me. said Umji sad. 

 

  • It wasn’t your fault ! You were too young to even remember anything about it. reassured Yuju while taking Umji in her arms. 

 

  • It’s my fault. eventually spoke Sowon. 

 

  • Yes it is. said coldly Yuju. 

 

  • No it is not. argued SinB. You were young too when it happened. 

 

  • Not young enough. My parents trusted me. I have never disappointed them before that. I even swore that I was going to protect my little sister at all cost. And I failed. 

 

  • No you didn’t because hopefully she is still alive. said SinB. Life gave you another chance. So you can still fulfill that promise. 

 

Sowon looked amazed by SinB’s words. She looked at her with a little warm smile. But there was still sadness in her eyes. She eventually nodded quietly before saying:

 

  • And I will do everything to stop this dark magic, to save my kingdom. The problem is that I don’t know how. 

 

  • We will help you. 

 

  • I am sorry SinB but I have to protect Umji. said Yuju. This dark magic can possess the queen at any moment. I don’t want to take that risk. That’s why it is better for Umji and I to go

 

SinB was going to respond but Umji was faster:

 

  • No Yuju, I don’t want to. I want to help them. Plus, our kingdom is dying so it is safer to stay here.

 

Yuju sighed but she eventually nodded.

 

  • I need you Yewon. stated Sowon. Because when you’re close I feel safe.  

 

  • That’s nonsense, you almost cut . claimed Yuju. 

 

Suddenly Sowon started to grab her head. 

 

  • No … not again !! she screamed with pain. 

 

Suddenly Umji took her hand and the pain disappeared. 

 

  • You’re right, you need me … big sister. said Umji shyly with a little smile. 

 

SinB felt emotional to witness that scene. Even Yuju was amazed and deep down glad for Umji. 

 

  • Is it really the end ? I mean will the Kingdom stop dying now ? asked Umji. 

 

  • Maybe ….  said SinB. 

 

SinB felt weak suddenly. Or maybe she was finally aware of her body’s signal. 

 

  • You’re okay ? asked Sowon. 

 

  • Right … you look pale. remarked Yuju. 

 

  • SinB !  cried out Umji. 

 

That was the last thing SinB’s heard before everything went white. White just like the snow. 

The calm snow

 

-------------

Chapter 18 done

The sisters' reunion you were all waiting for ! 

So it seems that Umji can stop the dark magic. But can she also "kill" it once and for all ?

But SinB don't feel really well. 

What do you think will happen ? 

Thank you 

​​​​​​​xoxo