CHAPTER 7

Calm Snow

Sowon was looking at the landscape through the window. The forest … there was almost nothing left. The village surrounding the castle was still here but it had suffered lots of human loss. Her kingdom … hopefully only a little surface of it had been touched by the fire. Yet, all she wanted was people’s safety. And sadly that night she failed  as lots of people died in the fire. 


Suddenly a voice called out her name: 

 

«Sowon » 

 

  • No, she complained while grabbing her head with her hands. 

 

«Sowon » 


She wanted the whispering voice to stop because it was bringing her pain. So much pain. 

 

« It is not your fault »

 

The voice seemed unstoppable. Sowon was alone in the room though. But it’s normal it was from nowhere else than inside. 

 

« It is that girl’s fault » 

 

  • No stop ! 

 

« SinB brought you hell » 

 

Sowon couldn’t bear the pain. She collapsed on the floor. But not too much after she opened her eyes and stood up. She looked at the mirror beside the windows.

Her hair was red, so were her eyes. And there was anger written all over her face. 


The same voice spoke again. 

 

« And she will pay for it » but this time it came from Sowon’s mouth. 

 

 

 

 

SinB was all alone now. She didn’t know how long she had been walking. But as long as Umji or anybody else couldn’t find her, she didn’t care whether she was lost. SinB wasn’t « alone » though: the white snow had been with her all along. And it was a peaceful ride. But SinB’s mind was a total mess. She was still thinking about that kiss. She thought at least she wouldn’t die without having had her first kiss. She still felt sad that everything had to end like this. But she couldn’t be selfish. Her story was over. 

She arrived down the mountain. She could see the village not that far from it.  There was a lake … a frozen lake. Suddenly SinB had an idea. She started walking on it. She looked one last time at the landscape before she jumped on the frozen water. 

 

And immediately she felt herself into icy water. The temperature was unbearable. It was humanly impossible. SinB closed her eyes as she let herself drown in it. And as she did, everything turned into black. She didn’t know why her last though was about Umji and not even her parents nor her kingdom. 

She couldn’t care less as everything will be over soon. But that thought made her smile.

 

 

 

 

The girl re-opened her eyes after a while. No it couldn’t be true. The water … she was still in it … alive. And it was as if she hadn’t move since the beginning as she never reached the bottom. What was even weirder was that she could still breath. Then she felt herself being pushed towards the surface, the ice immediately melt when she reached it. And there she was standing on the icy water … alive. SinB couldn’t believe it. If it had happened to another person it would have been seen as a miracle. In SinB’s case, it was more like a nightmare. She started to believe she was cursed. First, she was able to escape that door in the dungeon, then Yuju arrived just at the moment she was going to end everything and now that. 

 

  • Hey ! suddenly someone screamed. 

 

SinB immediately turned toward the owner of the voice. It was a man … most probably a villager. 

 

  • What are you doing ? It’s dangerous there ! You could break the ice and fall into the cold water which would make you die for sure. 

 

How ironic ! SinB thought. But his sentence somehow saddened her. She saw how he was trying to reach her. So as she didn’t want anything to happen to an innocent life because of her, she went to him first. 

 

  • What were you doing here ? he said as he sure looked impressed by her now that she was closer.

 

SinB wondered why he looked that amazed. It was weird. It was as if he was under a spell. SinB looked at her hair and now she understood why: her hair was blond. And now that she looked carefully her skin seemed whiter and she bet her eyes were blue just like in the castle. That thing … these magical power … it was what made her survive in the cold water. But why ? And first, how did she get them ? 

 

  • Who are you ? he asked. I’ve never seen you in the village. 

 

SinB felt trapped again. She knew she couldn’t reveal her real identity but now she was wondering if she should come up with another lie or just stick with the one she told Umji and Yuju. Suddenly she had an idea.

She pointed at and then shook her head.  

 

  • Oh, you’re mute ! he pointed out.

 

She nodded her head. 

 

  • Well, then let me bring you to the village and we will see there. 

 

SinB nodded and followed him. She knew she had no other choice. Besides it’s not like she had planned where to go so she decided to let karma lead her. It had always decided for her anyway. 

 

When they arrived, SinB almost instantly noticed the stare she was getting from each person they were bumping into. All seemed surprised even amazed by her. Maybe was it because she was new here ?

The man guided them to a house. A woman appeared at the main entrance porch. 

 

  • Oh honey, what took you so long ? Wait, who’s that girl ? 

 

  • I found her, she was on the icy lake. But I don’t know much about her except the fact that she is mute. 

 

  • Oh what a creepy story. Who would dare walk there ! Oh I don’t remember any one being mute in the village. 

 

  • Oh really, well me either. But she seemed lost. 

 

SinB didn’t know what to say well anyway she wasn’t supposed to speak as she pretended to be mute. Now that she thought about it, it wouldn’t be too difficult to stay quiet and it would help her avoid tons of discussions and questions about her. She was glad she took that decision. The woman nicely smiled at her before letting them entered the house. SinB followed them quietly. 

 

SinB sat down on the little couch. The woman then came towards her with a piece of paper and a feather. 

 

  • I know you can’t speak but maybe you’re used to communicate through writing. 

 

Oh no, SinB hadn’t thought of that. Now she was trapped again. But she could still pretend that she hadn’t learned how to write but she didn’t want to go that far. So she wrote « thank you for receiving me » on the paper. 

 

  • Oh, your welcome. Please write your name. 

 

SinB hesitated. Maybe it was time to stop all the lies.

 

  • Darling !

 

The woman turned immediately towards her husband. Suddenly royal guards appeared behind him. 

SinB’s face became white - if it was even possible. 

 

  • We are looking for a woman whose name is SinB. 

 

Now SinB started to feel sick all the more since the men said those words while looking right at her. 

 

 

----------------

CHAPTER 7 done 

what do you think will happen ? 

Tell me if you think this story is going too slow (I mean the storyline not  the update ;)  ) 

Thanks to you all: subscribers and readers 

And of course for those who celebrate it: Merry Christmas !!!! 

xoxo