CHAPTER 4

Calm Snow

SinB was speechless. There was fear in her eyes as those couldn’t stop from looking at Sowon’s ones. 

 

  • You know it is rude not to answer when someone ask you a question. said Sowon calmly while caressing SinB’s face. So I will repeat it, but only one more time: did you miss me ? 

 

  • No, not at all. answered coldly SinB after finally managing to get her composure. There was a defying sparkle in her eyes. 

 

Sowon’s smile vanished right away. She started to boil up as her face reddened. SinB felt something against her face … it was Sowon’s hand. 

 

  • I hope you were only joking ! she screamed out with an angry tone.  

 

SinB felt hot because of Sowon’s body on top of her which was burning. Yet, she kept calm, emotionless and replied: 

 

  • No I wasn’t. It is the truth. I am sorry that I haven’t miss you as you have missed me. SinB savagely responded. Something that she shouldn’t have done. 

 

Indeed, she watched Sowon exploded as she turned into the scary creature SinB had already seen the first time she met her. 

 

Sowon grabbed SinB’s neck and began to choke her. 

 

  • You are going to pay for what you have just said ! I am going to make you beg !

 

SinB couldn’t breath, she tried to fight but Sowon was just too strong. She couldn’t even make a sound, how is she going to beg then ? She tried to push Sowon but she didn’t have enough energy to do so. She was weakening as the seconds were passing. She closed her eyes. Then, everything went blank. 

 

 

  • SinB. 

 

The girl felt a little tap on her shoulder. 

 

SinB opened her eyes. A familiar white ceiling welcomed her. The sheets. The walls. Everything felt familiar. Then, she looked at one silver frame … the photo in it. It was her …  with her parents. Her room … she was in her room. She looked up and her mother whose hand was on SinB’s shoulder, smiled at her. It was so warm despite the falling snow outside the room’s window which was SinB’s favorite scenery. 

 

  • Mom … she said and SinB was very surprised to hear that word coming from her own mouth. Indeed it had been a long time she last said that word. 

 

  • Good morning my dear princess. 

 

SinB’s eyes couldn’t help but watered at the usual « good morning » of her mother. She had missed her so much. 

 

  • Oh, why are you crying sweetie ? asked her mother while sitting just beside her daughter. 

 

SinB couldn’t speak even if she had so much to say and to ask to her mother. She shook her head in response. 

 

  • SinB, don’t be afraid to say that sentence. 

 

But as SinB couldn’t still speak, she jumped into her mother’s arms and hugged her tightly.


Even if she wanted to believe that everything was true, she kinda knew that it wasn’t as she had seen everything - the fall of her kingdom, the death of her entire family - with her own eyes. Yet, even the dumbest illusion could ease a little bit her little broken heart. She knew it wouldn’t put her back together but seeing her mother’s face, hearing her voice and being able to touch her made SinB feel better … less lonely.

 

  • Shh ... Everything is going to be ok. 

 

  • No, it won’t. SinB said as she broke the hug but stayed in her mother’s embrace. 

 

  • Why you said that ? said her mother innocently. 

 

  • Because you’re dead. said coldly SinB. I am not a fool I know you are only a vision of my real mother. 

 

  • No, SinB I am really here. I’ve never died. 

 

  • No, mom. Stop saying nonsense. I saw everything. The pain still lingers as I remain broken forever. said SinB while tears started to roll down her cheeks again. 

 

  • No sweetheart. There is a way, for us to reunite again. 

 

SinB’s eyes widened for a second then she frowned. 

 

  • I don’t want to hear such nonsense. We both know it is sadly impossible. If we really could, I would have already done everything I could to make it happen. And if it was possible I would have known it since a long time already. 

 

  • Since when do you see me in your dream ? asked her mother.  

 

  • Since the very first day you left me.  

 

  • Since when can you actually speak with me and touch me and I can see you in your dream ? 

 

  • Since … oh actually, it is the first time. 

 

  • See … I am not just a vision. I can speak with you and hold you. You are in your room. So baby, yes there is a way and it is very simple. 

 

SinB was definitely convinced but more because she was shocked than because she rationally thought about it beforehand. 

 

  • What is it ? she asked. 

 

  • All you have to do is surrender. Comply with everything she is asking you. Her mother’s tone sound more and more unnatural. 

 

Her smile wasn’t as genuine as before. That smile … SinB felt like she had seen it on the face of someone else. Then it hit her like a thunder. She stood up from the bed while watching her mother with horror in her eyes. 

 

  • The woman you are talking about is Sowon, right ? 

 

SinB became white like the snow when her mother nodded nonchalantly. 

 

  • Of course, my dear. That’s the only way if you want us to come back in your life. she answered as she stood up from the bed and walked towards her daughter. The latter wanted to move back but she was so frozen because of the situation to do so. 

 

  • What’s with that terrified look, SinB ? asked the woman with a worried tone. But there was something odd in her voice … a lack of sincerity. 

 

  • Don’t approach me ! You are not my mother ! You are just like her ! screamed SinB.

 

Her mother looked shocked.

  • No SinB it is me. Listen to me, this is the only way for your pain to end. Please believe me. 

 

For a second, there was doubts building up inside SinB’s mind as her mother’s eyes looked kind of sad and watery. She was going to approach her mother again and maybe apologize but one detail stopped her from doing so. 

 

The mirror. The reflection. Her mother’s reflection. Sowon. The truth unseen finally revealed. 

 

Suddenly her mother’s face vanished and instead Sowon’s one appeared. SinB was shocked but then every feeling turned into anger.  

 

« Calm Snow ! »

 

 SinB was raging as she jumped on Sowon and tried to hit her but everything disappeared at the moment she put her hand on her. Still, she managed to grab something. She recognized a neck. So she grabbed it with both hands and started to strangle it. However, seconds after another scene welcomed her. Umji.  Umji was just in front of her, under her. And she was choking. SinB’s eyes softened when she saw Umji’s eyes full of fear. But what she saw next frightened her: she was the reason Umji was agonizing as it was her hands strangling her.  SinB immediately stopped everything. She stood up as she looked at Umji with teary eyes. The latter could finally breathe and she was trying to get her composure. SinB fell on the floor and hug her knees. She was so ashamed and shocked at the same time. She wanted to die. Never would she had thought that she would be at the verge of killing someone. And as it happens to be Umji, she felt even worst. Umji was the last person she wanted to hurt. But it is too late, the damage is done. 

 

 

 

---------------------

End of chapter 4 

What do you think will happen ? 

I know it feels like Sowon is the evil in this story but .... who knows maybe she isn't  ;) 

Thank you 

xoxo