Chat: Thesydney

Authors' Fun Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So today we have another amazing author with us. So please welcome Thesydney

 

 

1. What is your aff username? 

Thesydney, but I go by Syd or Sydney xoxo

2.How many stories have you published so far in aff?
Ah, such an easy question that is somehow so complicated for me. Technically I currently have 6 stories accessible to the public view, though of that I have a review shop, a writing contest, and a thread for free writing/author advice. Two of my previous published stories I took down in order to focus on my current ones. And on top of that, I have 6 draft stories that have never been seen by the public and range from not being started at all, to halfway done ahaha. All together, I have 15 things in my stories page. Whew. :')

3.Do you write on a particular fandom?
I currently on write EXO fan fiction and I will most likely continue that exclusivity in the future. However I frequently implement other idols into my stories. Such as Red Velvet, NCT, Shinee— primarily SM groups. Though I am a multi-stan, I just follow these groups the most.

4.Generally what is your source of inspiration or motivation to write?
Honestly, my friends give me a lot of inspiration for fic's. I typically will think of something they would enjoy or something that would help them through a rough situation in their life and frame a narrative around that. Otherwise, I get a lot of inspo from movies and my own struggles. It depends on the genre a lot as well.

5.Many authors suffer from writers block sometime..How do you think they should deal with it?
The best way for writer's block is to step away from your main project and write something small that will get you moving creatively in a different direction. I like to write daily, whether that is a just a sentence or 3k. The most effective for me is short free writing that is prompt based. That way you have a motive, but you can take it where you want. For example, watch a short silent clip and then write what you think one of the characters are thinking. Or, go on google maps and find somewhere you've never been, then write about that town and what might occur there. The biggest thing to remember is that when you're stuck in one spot, it is okay to set it aside for a while and get excited about something else. Time away gives great perspective!

6.If you place yourself as a reader..which element in a story catches the attention of a reader?
Definitely the prose itself. If you are writing brilliantly and fluidly, I will enjoy whatever you are getting at. Otherwise, a reason for sharing always draws me in. Writing in itself is a mode of communication and we are writing to express something we can't do in any other form. If you recognize that and really have something to say, I am going to pay attention.

7.How would you deal with negative comments on your story. Do you think criticizing comment influences on a writer's mind in a better way?
Frankly, most negative comments are coming from a place of someone less educated on the subject than I am. And I don't mean that in a negative or demeaning way, it's completely okay not to be well versed in the "writing scene." However, most of the time these comments are "suggestions" made to get an author to weave a narrative in the way the audience wants it to be, whether that be more romance or a character that is obviously abusive to be romanticized. Those criticisms aren't coming from an educational and productive stand point and so I ignore them. I will write realistically and according to what I think is best. Now, that does not mean I am not open to receiving criticism, nor am I s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter