Chapter 9

Doshio

 

The days keep passing, but two things remained fresh and strong in Kyungsoo's mind. One, Chanyeol's unbelievably gorgeous appearance at the school's festival, and two, Sohda's confession about having feelings for Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo walked through the halls, delivering papers for one of the teachers during the break. As per usual for the fact that he took this task upon himself for the sake of freeing his classmates from the burden. He was clearly ditracted by the contradicting feelings that spark up in his heart when both Chanyeol and Sohda are in his mind. 

At one point, Kyungsoo felt his foot nudge against something he didn't expect would be in the hallway. Oh no, this can end bad. His mind reconnected with reality as he realized he is located right above a long case of stairs leading down. He nearly lost his balance at the very edge of the stairs. He could almost see his life flashing before his eyes as his body's weight started leaning down to fall. 

Images of Baekhyun, Jongdae and Sehun appeared in his mind. And then, Chanyeol. Right, it wouldn't be so bad to end with the image of Chanyeol's beauty in his mind. But then suddenly Sohda's face popped up, and Kyungsoo felt the way his body's trying reject these thoughts outside of himself.

But at the very last moment before falling forward, someone stepped in front of him and held him back up straight by the shoulders gently. Big hands kept him secure on the floor, he's saved from the fall of doom. Huh? Kyungsoo looked up at the face of the person, something in him hoped it was Chanyeol, but he found out it was Sehun. Actually, this is just as good. Sehun was smiling lightly and nodded his head. 

"Sehun! Thank you very much, I didn't know this chair will be placed in the hall like that..." Kyungsoo explained the reasoning behind nearly falling, and Sehun hummed in return. Petting Kyungsoo's head for a moment. 
"Be careful next time." 
"Ah, yes." Sehun waved at him before turning and walking away. Sehun is so kind. Kyungsoo was saved from death by him. Well, he is exaggerating, but Sehun did manage to catch him right before something really bad could have happened to him. And Kyungsoo was more than grateful.

There were a few students around who must have seen it happen, but none of them really paid this much attention to it. Not more than a surprised glance in their direction at most, probably. If it wasn't for Sehun, Kyungsoo would be lying at the bottom of the stairs for a while until anybody would have noticed that he's been injured. This is one of the reasons Kyungsoo learned how to be extremely careful. Because he knew that in case anything will happen to him, there might not be anybody to help him when the time comes.

He continued in his way, now with a mind filled with Sehun and his greatness. Kyungsoo's still very curious to know what the connection between him and Junmyeon really is. The way they were talking with each other after the festival looked so friendly and pleasant. 

He was already right by the teachers' office when he saw Sohda come to him. She was not pretending to be cheerful anymore. There was no sweet smile across her lips, no sparkles in her eyes, even her body language looked a lot less lively than normal. Honestly, Kyungsoo really appreciates that she is being her true self around him after they've spoken. It makes him feel a lot better about himself, and about the fact that there are no barriers between them anymore. It allows him to be even more honest with himself as well, so he's very glad that they were able to open up like that.

"Hey, Kyungsoo, I've been thinking." She began talking, hands behind her back as she stared at the door of the teacher's room. 
"Hello Sohda, what is it?" Kyungsoo hummed curiously in reply, then entered the room, placed the papers down, and came out back to her right away. 
"Whenever I come to speak with Chanyeol in your classroom, I see that there is an empty seat behind yours." She said, and Kyungsoo had the image of Sehun sitting behind him looking bored with class pop in his head. 
"Who sits there?" 
"Sehun does." Kyungsoo nodded at her question.

"Ah, is that so? Sehun that just saved you from falling down and making a mess?" She asked surprised.
"Whoa, how did you know? I just happened a few minutes ag---"
"Doesn't that put him in the same position as Chanyeol? If he treats you this kindly." A small smile finallyspreaded on her face. 
"Say... What if you try to talk with Sehun some more? The same way you talk with Chanyeol. Maybe then you will be able to understand that Chanyeol isn't anything special to you." She suggested, a new spark of hope in her eyes. "Sehun never thought something bad of you or anything, right?" Sohda continues talking. 

Kyungsoo listened and starts thinking about her words. Actually, now that she mentioned it like this, maybe he will be able to understand his own feelings better that way. And besides, he wanted to talk with Sehun about his connection with Junmyeon. Well, maybe it's a bit too nosy of him to ask. But generally talking with Sehun some more sounds like a fun thing to do. 
"No, Sehun's always been nice to me." Kyungsoo responded, remembering the time he visited his room, when Sehun said that he likes Kyungsoo. They have this sort of mutual liking already, so talking with him some more would make their connection better.

"Exactly! See, he's already on the same level as Chanyeol. the both of them were even in the band together!" Sohda continued. That is... Pretty much true. They both treat Kyungsoo kindly, but the mention of the band's performance took more of Kyungsoo's attention than the previous topic. Remembering Chanyeol's smiles and joy. 

He smiled lightly. "Ah, the band was so great. Ever since I heard that Chanyeol used to play in your middle school's band, I really wanted to watch him play. I wanted to see another side of him that I had missed." Kyungsoo said calmly, Sohda's turned to look ahead in the hallway.

"I'm so happy I got the opportunity to help---" 
"See? You don't know anything about Chanyeol. Not as much as I do. I already knew all of this about him." Her voice sounded a little upset. "So don't you compare the way we're feeling towards him again. I've been watching him ever since middle school." She began. 
"I've passed many seasons with him, and whenever there was a chance, I'd go and talk to him. I worked so hard to make sure he wouldn't get a girlfriend." Sohda said, filled with determination, but Kyungsoo looked at her very surprised. 

Admitting such a thing...? That made Kyungsoo feel a little weird inside his stomach. He always thought Sohda was a gentle person that happens to have a lot of emotions she shares with him. But learning that she had been making sure Chanyeol remains single just for herself makes her seem unreasonable and slightly creepy. What kind of methods did she even use?
"Y-You've been through a lot..." Kyungsoo said instead, trying to change the way he's thinking so that he could keep the image of her good intentions in his mind. Maybe he just misunderstood what she was saying. 
"Yes, I have!" She replied dramatically, but then looked away again. 

"Anyway, that's how much I know Chanyeol. It's not like I met him at the end of last year or anything." She said in a serious, boasting voice. Whoa, how did she know exactly when Chanyeol and him actually met each other? Maybe it was just a coincidence that she mentioned that timing. 
"I've always... I've always had my eyes on him." She hummed, a finger running through her own hair.

"I get what you mean... I can't remove my eyes from him either." Kyungsoo admitted. Images of Chanyeol's beautiful smile from various times he had seen him smile pop in his head. Especially after the performance. 
"S-Stop pretending that you understand how I feel." She pouted. But Kyungsoo was already lost in thought. He really does... Always look at him. He simply can't look away. Chanyeol is so dazzling  no matter when or what he does. Kyungsoo often catches himself staring at him whenever he's around.
Kyungsoo also catches himself thinking about him all the time. Chanyeol's face always appears in his mind whenever he has a hard time, or when he's going to sleep, or even when he just delivers papers for teachers at school. He never thought this much and felt this much towards anybody else before. That's why he thought that Chanyeol was so special to him.

"I really don't know anything at all about Chanyeol. Maybe these feelings will come even if I will start thinking about someone else. Maybe there is another feeling even greater than this that I've never felt before." Kyungsoo really wants to know more about him. That way he will be able to understand himself better, too. 
"I want to know more about Chanyeol, and about the way I'm feeling, I will try to talk with Sehun some more." Kyungsoo came to the conclusion that indeed, talking with Sehun would be a safe chance to learn more about both Sehun and Chanyeol, and of course himself. 

"Thank you, Sohda. Your advices are always so wise... I'm really grateful." He turned to look at her with new found hope. But she just looked back at him in upset confusion. The two of them parted ways as Kyungsoo bowed to her and headed back to his classroom.

Sohda must really find Chanyeol special, if she's been watching him closely like this ever since middle school. She wants to go out with him... So that means she must be having romantic feelings towards Chanyeol.

Romantic... Feelings? Kyungsoo felt an unfamiliar sort of warmth wash over his heart at that thought. When he opened the classroom's door, he saw Chanyeol sitting at his table with a bunch of friends and talking. But when he stepped inside, Chanyeol immediately turned to look at him. And almost as if time had been frozen, he smiled at Kyungsoo. 
Romantic... Feelings...? Kyungsoo's heart sped up in his chest. Why does he feel like he understands this term really well? As if he knows what it's like from the bottom of his heart.

He landed back in reality by being greeted cheerfully by Seungwan and Seulgi, his adorable fellow classmates, yet again. The two of them began asking him about homework, then started talking about the different things they've experienced in the festival. 
"I still can't believe I could participate in the soccer game!" Seulgi smiled with satisfaction. "You've done really well." Seungwan encouraged her. 

"Our school's team won, right? Well done!" Kyungsoo attempted to participate in the conversation. He was still slightly nervous, but Seulgi seemed to have been touched by his words, and held his palm with both her hands in excitement. 
"Thank you, Kyungsoo! It's all thanks to the good luck charm of a fist bump we've given you before leaving class that morning." Both her and Seungwan laughed at the statement.

Ah, everyone are seriously so kind. He's still trying hard to get used to not being all alone anymore. Now there are several people all around the school he could consider his aqcuitances. And it's all thanks to Chanyeol. If he hadn't gotten to meet Chanyeol the way they have before, Kyungsoo would have never known how nice everyone actually were.

Admiration, respect, appreciation, gratitude... Romantic feelings... Kyungsoo doesn't really understand his own feelings. He wants to understand them quickly. He wants to learn whether or not Chanyeol really is someone special to him, or if he's mixing everything up in his heart. He already decided he will try his best to speak with Sehun more. Maybe he will find his answer that way. 

Kyungsoo made his way to his seat, and this time, instead of focusing on Chanyeol, he sat sideways and looked at Sehun, who was resting his head on his arms on top of his table. Eyes shut... Sehun is really amazing as well, and handsome. Kyungsoo needed to find a way to properly thank him for earlier with the stairs incident.

 

 

During the break, Kyungsoo had bought a drink from the vending machine, and began looking for Sehun through the school, since he got caught up in talking with Baekhyun and Jongdae earlier, telling them about how there is something important he has to confirm, he missed the chance to ask Sehun to talk before he left the classroom. The juice would just be a small offering of gratitude for saving him from something that could have ended pretty badly.

Thankfully, it seems that Yerim's friend he was introduced to before, Sooyeong, saw that he was searching for something, and approached him curiously. She came from a group of girls who stood and talked nearby. Kyungsoo could see that one of them was Sohda. She was looking at him from afar. 
"Kyungsoo... was it? Is everything alright? you look pretty lost." Sooyeong asked, looking at the juice he's holding in his hands. 

"Yes, hello, Sooyeong. Have you maybe seen Sehun anywhere?" Kyungsoo asked, she seemed to be confused by the mention of his name. 
"Tall, broad, cold looking." Kyungsoo tried his best to describe Sehun's general appearance, even gestured with his own hands to show his dimentions, and flattening his own expression in an attempt to imitate Sehun's piercing face. Sooyeong's eyes widened as if she remembered something. 
"Aahh! Yes! I think I saw him going towards the sports equipment shed near the flower garden." She smiled. 

Kyungsoo was happy about the answer and smiled as well, bowing to her thankfully. 
"Thank you! I've been searching for a while." He then set off to his new destination, waving her a calm goodbye as she returned to her group.

Passing by the little flower garden that Kyungsoo is very familiar with from being given the task to water them often, he spotted someone lying on the grass in the shade of the equipment shed. He easily recognized it's Sehun as he stepped a little closer. His face was covered by a hat. It seemed that he was napping. Kyungsoo felt a little bad for having to wake him up, but he kneeled down anyway. The grass was actually pretty soft. 
"Sehun?" He tried to sound as gentle as possible.

The other hummed almost immediately in return and removed the hat from his face before sitting up. 
"Oh... Kyungsoo?" He looked a little dazed for a short moment. Kyungsoo smiled lightly and sat down beside him on the grass before handing him the bottle of juice. 

"Thanks." He grabbed it and began gulping. Sehun is so cool... He's very handsome as well. Although his face might look intimidating, he's actually very caring and kind. He wouldn't expect less of someone who's a good friend of Chanyeol. Kyungsoo watched the way his adam's apple bobbed when he drank. 
"Thank you again for saving me from falling down the stairs earlier. I thought that'd be my end." Kyungsoo said, and Sehun raised an eyebrow at him. 
"I didn't think it was a life or death situation." Kyungsoo chuckled lightly at the response.

They both sat there on the grass for a while. It was quiet, peaceful, and beautiful, with all the blooming flowers surrounding them in the garden. 
"So why'd you come find me here?" Sehun then asked calmly, and ran a hand to push his hair back to wear his hat again.

"Oh--- Right. Sehun... I wanted to ask you, do you know what it feels like to have 'romantic feelings' towards someone?" Kyungsoo asked. It must be confusing for Sehun to have this question dropped on him like that. Sehun stared at him for a while, a little puzzled. 
"Romantic feelings?" He repeated. 
"Yes, when you like a person, but as more than just friends. They're more specia---" 
"You don't need to explain it to me." Sehun stopped him gently, and stared at him in silence for a little while. Kyungsoo was kind of anticipating to hear his answer. It could help him understand his own feelings better.

"Yes, I do know what romantic feelings are like." He finally replied, looking pretty neutral. "There is someone I recently started liking romantically," He added "Keep it between us, okay?" Sehun finished with a small calm smile. And ksoo felt his heart fill with joy and excitement. Whoa. This is actually incredible. 
"I hope--- I hope everything will go smoothly with them!" Kyungsoo replied with enthusiasm.
"Thanks for the support." Sehun chuckled lightly.

"Say, what made you like them? How did you know you like them? What made you realize that they were special?" Excited by the fact that the answer was positive, Kyungsoo bombared him with a few questions at once, leaving Sehun looking deeply at the flower garden in front of them and shifting his position to stand up comfortably beside Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo followed along and stood back to his feet as well. 

"...Do these questions really need a logical answer?" Sehun asked. And Kyungsoo was taken aback by the unexpected answer. He thought he'd hear things like appearance, humor, personality... But it seems that Sehun, who has these feelings, cannot really find an answer that could properly explain it all.

"By the time I realized it, they were already special. I can't compare them to anyone else." Sehun explained his answer a little more since he probably saw the shock on Kyungsoo's face.
"S-So... If you can't compare someone with others... Does that make them special?" Kyungsoo attempted to confirm. 
"I don't know. But isn't that a nice thought?" Sehun sent him another gentle smile, and reached out to pet his head lightly.

Since it was his first time experiecing these sorts of feelings he's having towards Chanyeol, he wasn't sure whether Chanyeol really was special to him or not. But hearing the answer, he started thinking that he already knows.

Kyungsoo felt like his eyes have been re-opened. According to what Kyungsoo learned from the dictionary, and Sehun's own experiene, it seems that romantic feelings are something special, that can occur only towards someone that one finds special. Ah... So that's how it is. As he smiled back at Sehun, calmly accepting the gentle of his head, he felt that he might have reached another step closer to the answer he was seeking. 

But he felt that Sehun is special, too. He's very grateful that he could have such an enlightning honest conversation with him like this.

 

 

All of a sudden a noise of a heavy thud against the grass was heard, and as Kyungsoo turned his head to look at the source of the noise, a large hand gently wrapped around his wrist. It was Chanyeol, appearing right next to him. He couldn't read his facial expression at all in such a quick moment, but was nonetheless surprised.

Chanyeol then began walking again, pulling confused Kyungsoo by his wrist gently. He couldn't make a sound or utter a word, Chanyeol looked so... Serious. What he did do, however was look back at Sehun, who looked at the two of them leaving with a neutral expression. Kyungsoo was surprised to see that Sohda was also there at the edge of the path, standing next to what looks like stage equipment on the grass and looking aggrevated towards Chanyeol and him. 
"Hey! Chanyeol?! Come back here!" He could hear her call behind them.

If Kyungsoo stayed true to his heart, he hoped... Truly hoped, that these overhwelming feelings were romantic. He knew they were. They were so, so strong and bold, piercing him whenever just a glimpse of a thought about Chanyeol popped in his head.

Chanyeol pulled him on and on, for a long time, while walking in a high pace, enough to run the both of them down and out of breath, until they reached the whole other side of the main school building. Chanyeol finally stopped when the two of them were standing in the shady path under the building, and gently let go of Kyungsoo's wrist. He turned back to face him, his expression as serious as it was before. 
"I'm sorry. I couldn't hold myself back." He said in an airy yet sincere way.

"It's been bothering me for a while now." Chanyeol continued quietly, Kyungsoo's heart was beating quickly in his chest, and although they just ran, he knew it was because of Chanyeol. What's with this stressful atmosphere? He felt like he's about to get scolded, like he's being put in a tight spot. His body was even shaking a little from the intesity of Chanyeol's energy.

"Kyungsoo," A cold breeze blew in the air, and although it ruffled quite some leaves and branches around them, Kyungsoo couldn't hear any of it. Only Chanyeol's voice. 
"Do you... Like Sehun?"

Like? Like...? Does he like...? Kyungsoo stared up at him in silence, trying to wrap his mind around what is happening. He likes... He likes Chanyeol so much... So unbearably much, that he doesn't know what to do with all these feelings. 

It's not Sehun that makes his heart race in his chest. It's Chanyeol... He is... Deeply in love with Chanyeol. 

Chanyeol when he smiles and laughs, Chanyeol when he studies, when he plays music, when he drinks and eats, when he's tired, when he's late to class, when he greets him in the morning. He loves Chanyeol when he stands in front of him right now looking so serious and troubled.

Everything is pounding. He's got it. He found the answer he was looking for. It resided inside him this whole time, and now he finally dug deep enough to uncover it and allow the realization to occupy his mind.

"I like... Sehun. But not in a romantic way." Kyungsoo began. Somehow, for a change, his mind and heart were working in the same track. He noticed the way Chanyeol's expression had a hint of surprise in it. Sehun was always kind to him, he even saved him, but.. But... 
"I don't like him that way." The way he feels about him is different. Completely different.

"Really?" Chanyeol asked and Kyungsoo quickly nodded. 
"Then... That's what I'll believe."  Chanyeol answered. But it only raised more questions for Kyungsoo. Huh? That's what he'll believe? Does that mean there was another source that could have possibly convinced him that somehow that wasn't the case to begin with? Nevertheless, Kyungsoo was very relieved.

It lasted barely a second however, because a moment later Chanyeol suddenly dropped down into a crouching position and burried his head between his legs. 
"So that's how it was..." He whined in relief and let out a long heavy sigh. Kyungsoo was caught off guard, and began worrying he might be feeling ill, but before he could ask anything, Chanyeol huffed out with frustration. Is it possible that the tips of his ears are actually becoming red? 
"Please don't look at me right now... I'm really embarrassed." Chanyeol whined quietly.

What? What's happening? Kyungsoo was seriously confused. 
"U-Uh--- Did I just say something rude about Sehun?" He began panicking, unsure if he should reach down to Chanyeol and attempt to assist him or not. "B-But, I really respect him a lot--- Sehun is seriously great--- He's so kind and reliable as well, and---" He tried his best to explain, but was stopped when he heard a chuckle. 

Chanyeol raised his head and began laughing, rubbing his head and messing up his hair. It took a few moments of confusion from Kyungsoo, for Chanyeol to finally make eye contact with him and smile warmly. 
"It's alright. I'm sorry about that... It's all good now." He said calmly.
Like... Love... That feeling is something only Kyungsoo can truly know for himself, since it's something that comes from deep within his heart, right? 

Kyungsoo crouched down and sat against his own weight, the same way as Chanyeol, to be in the same eye leve as him. The feeling that bubbled up inside him as he looked at Chanyeol sitting in front of him like that... He smiled at Chanyeol warmly. 
That's what love is, right?

"Ah, geez..." Chanyeol's face turned slightly sideways as he began playing with his own bangs. "I keep contradicting myself... Even though I'm the one who brought you here." He sighed lightly.
"I heard the students talk about how Sehun saved you from falling before... And I starting worrying." Chanyeol began. 
"Listen... Kyungsoo... There will be times in the future where I won't be able to support you. I'm going to apologize for those right now..." His expression returned to the seriousness it had before.

"I'm not like the person you think I am at all, Kyungsoo. I'm actually... Really selfish, and arrogant. There are things that burden my heart, I want things to go my way---" 
"It's alright." Kyungsoo smiled at him, still with the same amount of warmth and affection. 
"I don't mind at all if you want things to happen your way. You don't have to support me, or do anything for me at all." Kyungsoo's smile grew. 

It's true, he really doesn't need Chanyeol to do anything at all. Just his very existence is already something that gives him so much strength and happiness to continue pushing on forward. It'd be terrible of him to seek anything more from Chanyeol. 
"It's alright." He grinned, his smile reaching its full potential right there, crouching in front of Chanyeol in the shade behind the school building.

He saw how Chanyeol's eyes started to bounce in their sockets nervously, and how his body stiffened lightly when he placed the back of his palm in front of his own face while averting to look away. 
"So... Since we're on the topic, what do you think about two people going out?" Chanyeol then asked, sounding softer and not as serious anymore. 
"Hm? Going where?" Kyungsoo asked curiously. 
"No--- I mean, as lovers." 

Kyungsoo was taken by surprise at the full meaning of the question, and stiffened in his own spot nervously. 
"T-That's a very mature decision---...!" He muttered, almost like an automated message. "I've never thought there was a chance anybody would ever ask me a question about these things--- Maybe I didn't study enough, I don't know how to answer... I wonder what Jongdae would answer... Since he is dating already and all." Kyungsoo began half panicking while answering, he held tight onto his own knees to not lose his balance, too.

Chanyeol just stared at him quietly the entire time he blabbered the answer, and when he was finally done, a calm smile spread across his face. 
"Well," He hummed while stretching to stand back on his feet again, Kyungsoo followed suit and stood up as well. 
"Thank you for answering." Chanyeol smiled calmly yet again, then waved his hand and left, disappearing as the path curved out of sight around the building. Kyungsoo was left there, standing in the shade, and slowly cooling down with the gentle breeze brushing through his hair.

 

 

So... There is someone that Kyungsoo likes. Likes very, very much. He looked up at the passing clouds in the sky and wondered how Baekhyun and Jongdae would react when he tells them the truth. Finally finding the answer he told them he's trying to understand. They would probably a lot... But he knows they'd be happy for him. 
There are still many things he is unable to answer, questions that only Jongdae would have enough experience to solve. But he's still glad. His heart is content. He was able to come to this final conclusion of a solution with the help of his friends. Especially Sehun. It feels a lot better than he expected. He's very thankful. Learning that he actually likes Chanyeol, and having someone to tell it to, really helps his heart remain free and without a burden.

He likes Chanyeol... Just like Sohda had told him before. Kyungsoo's eyes widened a little. Ah, right. Sohda. He wants to tell her as well. After she was able to gather enough courage and tell him her true feelings, Kyungsoo should tell her that he found out how he's feeling as well. So then the two of them will be able to talk about more things they have in common.

With this in mind, as school hours came to an end for his classroom, Kyungsoo began looking for Sohda around the school so that they could talk. Luckily, it didn't take too long to find her. She was standing beneath a tree near the gym, and surprisingly, both Baekhyun and Jongdae were standing there as well. Talking with her, it seems. 

Kyungsoo's heart warmed up at the thought of both of them being able to befriend Sohda as well, so he happily approached them. "Hello. Whoa, it's rare to see the three of you together." He said with a small smile. 

Sohda stood quietly and looked at the ground as both Baekhyun and Jongdae turned to him.
"Mmh, not really. We're finally cracking down her deal." Baekhyun said, and Jongdae crossed his arms together while glancing over at her. 
"Cracking... Her deal...?" Kyungsoo asked, completely puzzled.

"She's the one who started the rumours about us. The rumours that resulted in the assault you had to experience in the toilet." Jongdae explained, and Kyungsoo could only stand there and stare at Sohda in disbelief. Only the light wind breaking the silence while his mind couldn't comprehand that situation. 
"Kyungsoo, she's the reason you ended up suffering so much."

This is too much, too fast, too soon. The last thing he'd expect is to be told any of the people who treated him this kindly would do anything even remotely as spreading the rumours. He toally didn't expect it. At all.

"Rumours... You mean the ones about you two? When people were saying I was the one who spread them?" Kyungsoo asked quietly. Both Baekhyun and Jongdae nodded. 
"They all thought that I was some sort of evil gang leader... With the two of you as my helpers, and Chanyeol was my slave." Kyungsoo said. Surprising both of them a little with that statement, but they both began laughing almost hysterically. 
"That's too crazy! I can't believe people spread that." 
"Is this some sort of cult?" They laughed for a while. But Kyungsoo still had a hard time believing Sohda had anything to do with it. She was being so kind to him all the time.

"There has to be a mistake here... Why would Sohda spread such terrible things about you? What would she gain out of it?" He asked quietly, mainly himself. 
"And anyway, if I was your secret evil leader, but I was also spreading bad rumours about you two... What was I trying to do?" Kyungsoo placed a hand on his chin as he began thinking about the logic behind the rumours. 

"Ah~ It doesn't even matter. She probably made those up on the spot. No thought behind them. That's why the rumour she spread about me had a bit of reality in them, while Jongdae's were completely false. We went to middle school together after all." Baekhyun replied, shrugging his shoulders and turning to look at Sohda again.

"Besides, the fact that none of these make any sense just mean that she's an idiot." Jongdae said as a matter of factly, but Kyungsoo quickly shook his head. 
"Wha--- That's not true, Sohda is really smart, she gets such good grades too!" But Baekhyun laughed. 
"There's a difference between getting good grades at school and being smart. Guess she can only do one at a time." 
"Pfft, really, that was a very sad excuse to hide how stupid that was." 
"Are you sure?" The three of them began blabbering to each other, almost forgetting that she was there at all.

"Will you stop calling me an idiot?! It's not my fault! I wasn't the only one spreading those rumours!" She shouted at the three of them with her hands clutched in fists. "Other people who like Chanyeol started the rumour about Kyungsoo being some ring leader themselves!" She continued angrily. 
"If everything went according to plan, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now!" Huh...? According to plan...? Then, Sohda admits that she was involved?

"S-Sohda... You're joking, right? What you said now... I-It might sound like you were a part of it... So, if you just explain yourself clearly, we could solve this misunderstanding. There's no way you'd do something like thi---" 
"Misunderstanding?" Sohda cut sharp through Kyungsoo's hopeful words, her voice cold and her expression even colder. 
"None of this was a mistake. I didn't care whether or not any of them were lies. Both the rumours themselves, and the statement that you spread them. I'm the one who started it." She said, her face stern like stone.

So... It's not a misunderstanding? 
"Ah~ Finally she admits it." Jongdae hummed. 
"Guess it's hard to fight against physical evidence!" Baekhyun smiled and held up two pieces of paper. Kyungsoo turned to look at them. One of them was a sheet of a to-do list back from the festival preparation period, and another was a small note reading, 

[ Sehun, meet me near the equipment shed today during the break. 
- Do Kyungsoo ] 

Both of them written in the same handwriting. 

"Wha...? I never wrote this note...?" Kyungsoo stared at it surprised. 
"Right. It was Sohda who left this note for him. He showed it to me after Chanyeol ran off with you, or so he said." Baekhyun explained with a nod. Oh... Oh wow, so that means the reason Chanyeol and Sohda were even there near the equipment shed to begin with, was all according to Sohda's plan...? Is that why Chanyeol asked him if he likes Sehun...? Is that what she tried to prove by coming there with Chanyeol to see Sehun and him talk and be all friendly?

There is nothing else he can do. No other excuses he can find for Sohda possibly not being the one behind all of these actions. She even admitted it... What is he supposed to think?
"W-...Why?" Is all he could ask her in a shaking voice. 

"You were in the way." She replied, looking down at the ground quietly. "You were just a bother, Kyungsoo." Deep down Kyungsoo knows that she really means it, but he still can't believe how bluntly she said it. 
"I thought it'd make things a lot easier if you'd stay away from Baekhyun, Jongdae... And everyone else, really. Like it used to be in junior year." She explained further. 

It hurt. It hurt to hear these harsh things being told to him in general, but it hurt even more knowing that they came from Sohda. A person he had admired and thought of as a role model.

"Sohda... Do you hate me?" His voice barely came out, sounding small, and sad. Sohda didn't even look at him. 
"Yes. It took you this long to notice?" She said with no emotion at all. So... All this time, all of the happy memories he had shared with Sohda in the past, they were all just a lie? They meant nothing to her? 
"I thought... We were friends." Kyungsoo admitted with the same sad tone. 
"I haven't thought you of as a friend even once." Sohda deflected coldly.

"That's so mean!" Baekhyun called out, looking at Sohda displeased. 
"So these are your true colors, huh? So bad." Jongdae's voice went deep. "Go on, Kyungsoo, tell her off." He then added, trying to encourage Kyungsoo to tell Sohda a piece of his mind about it all. But Kyungsoo just... Couldn't. He stood there silently and stared at Sohda. He's so confused, and hurt, and sad.

 

 

"Ahhh come on! This is getting annoying. If Kyungsoo isn't going to say anything, then I will! Is that fine with you, JD?" Baekhyun groaned angrily, and after receiving a nod in return from Jongdae who was gently petting ksoo's back, he turned to Sohda.

"Sohda!!" She finally turned and looked at Baekhyun. "What's done is done, and I'm still pissed about it, but let's forget it for now. I don't care if you apologize or not." He began stepping closer and closer to Sohda, until her back was stuck against the tree behind her. 
"I don't even care what you say about me anymore, I know you well enough to not pay attention to it. But don't you say anything more about Jongdae and Kyungsoo!!" He shouted, sounding pretty intimidating. 

"And don't you dare make Kyungsoo cry again!!" His fists were held tightly beside his body. Kyungsoo was quite surprised to hear Baekhyun saying these things, being this angry for the sake of both Jongdae and him.

Baekhyun then turned back around towards them, hands on his hips as he huffs out poutily.
"And that's the end of the rumours discussion! I feel a lot better now." He nodded. 
"W-What is this... I'm so touched..." Jongdae mumbled, looking away from Baekhyun with a hand on his mouth. 

Only moments ago, Kyungsoo felt like his heart was about to shatter and break, but now he can only feel the warmth of Baekhyun and Jongdae's protective kindness wrapping around him.

"Oh!" Baekhyun turned back to Sohda again. "And stop using other people! It's so selfish and unfair!" He added, sounding pouty and childish rather than mature and angry like before, so Jongdae placed a hand on his shoulder. 
"You've exceeded your limit for today, pull back now." He stopped him with a pout of his own. 

"I knew it." Sohda spoke after a while of silence. 
"You play dirty, Kyungsoo. What's so bad about using others? People use me all the time and then drop me as soon as they don't need anything from me anymore! You guys are hypocrites. Everyone else does it, so why do I have to take the blame for it?!" Sohda called out at them, her face still filled with a spirit of battle. 

"So in other words, you don't plan on changing your ways?" Jongdae asked, sounding bothered.
"Why should I?" Sohda huffed, averting her eyes again. 
"Oh, I see..." Jongdae hummed, and took a step closer to her. "Just so you know, I'm not as soft as Baekhyun is. If you're not planning to change, it means you wouldn't mind Chanyeol finding out about who you truly are, right?" 

Kyungsoo could only see the side of Jongdae's expression, but it made him tingle with a sense of fear. Jongdae can be dangerous when he's truly upset, it seems. 
"Then I'll just go and tell him right now~" He hummed, a cold smile across his lips as he turned to leave and probably look for Chanyeol.

Sohda clenched her fists and teeth together, her shoulders raised with stress. 
"Just go ahead and do it then. See if I care, tell him!" She shouted. Although she said those words, Kyungsoo could sense she was scared. But Jongdae just hummed. 
"Right, I really will, then." Before getting to the turn back to the path. "Baekhyun, let's go, you wanted to see the choir's practice." He spoke as if nothing had happened, and Baekhyun quickly followed behind. 

The air was then filled with silence. 
"What do you want? Go ahead and leave with them. Don't you have to tell Chanyeol about what I did?" Sohda then asked Kyungsoo, who remained standing in his spot with uncertaincy. The smile on her face and the tone of her voice were defeated. 
"You could earn some more sympathy from him that way." She added. And... That was it. Kyungsoo had now learned the whole story. 

Silently, he wiped away a single tear that managed to gather in his eye from the hurt he had felt before, and then without saying a word, he turned around and followed his friends. Leaving Sohda standing under the tree alone. 

"Jongdae, Baekhyun..." He finally spoke only after a while of walking behind them as they talked about the choir. 
"Please don't tell him." He lowered his head lightly, as if requesting something extremely dire. The two of them stared at him surprised. He knows that even though Sohda said that they should tell him... She really doesn't want that. She is scared. 
"If you ask that with such sincerity then I guess it's fine... But, are you sure?" Jongdae asked him. Kyungsoo nodded with confidence. 

He knows that for sure, because there's no way Sohda would want to have Chanyeol, the person she likes, think bad things about her.

"Oh... Kyungsoo. About that... I'm sorry. I didn't think that you'd get into such a shock from learning the truth that way... I kind of knew it would happen if you found out--- But... I probably pushed it a bit too far." Jongdae sighed lightly, rubbing the side of his head as his eyes look at the ground. 

Kyungsoo hasn't even realized that his state of shock had made Jongdae feel bad about it. Jongdae must have had worked so hard with Baekhyun to find all the evidence and expose the truth. 
"I--- I should be the one apologizing---! I'm sorry you two got dragged into this because of me...!" He quickly answered, making both Jongdae and Baekhyun laugh lightly. 

"We don't care about these silly rumours." Baekhyun smiled. 
"I knew you'd say that, but really, we were more worried about how you'd feel regarding the rumours about you." Jongdae nodded calmly. Ah... Well... 
"I'm... really used to that already. I'm 'Doshio', remember?" Kyungsoo calmed down from his little panic, and pointed at himself with a small smile. After laughing again once more, the three of them headed back inside together. Kyungsoo loves his friends. They really are the best. 

He joined them for the choir lesson, just to see how they do and keep them company. Kyungsoo has Baekhyun and Jongdae, two amazing, smart and kind people. He has them both, people he could tell his feelings to. He can trust them with his whole heart, and it brings him joy and security. But he can't help but wonder how things were between Sohda and him. 

Watching Baekhyun and Jongdae excel at what they do, seeing the way they both enjoy singing and laughing with the choir, that's what true friends do. As it was over and the three of them exit, there were still a surprising amount of students at the school, they probably stayed for their club activities, or extra lessons.

"Have any of you seen Sohda?" Kyungsoo heard one of the girls of the theatre club say. 
"Nope, she didn't come to the club activity today..." One answered. 
"Maybe that's why everything went so smoothly. I was finally able to act in a bigger role! Sohda always gets the best roles..." Another one responded, and the rest began cheerfully talking about the fun they had. 

Sohda had always called Kyungsoo by his name. Never once has she said 'Doshio'. She hasn't even refered to him that way when talking to others if he was nearby. They were friends, even if for a little while. Even if Sohda denied it all entirely. She still spoke with Kyungsoo back then. He knows it was all lies, but it still brought Kyungsoo a lot of happiness. Was Sohda's confession about Chanyeol, saying she had only ever told Kyungsoo about it, also a lie?

"There is... Something I still have to tell Sohda." Kyungsoo suddenly spoke, and before Baekhyun and Jongdae could respond, he set off in a search for her. Kyungsoo never got close to Sohda at all, there are so many things he still doesn't know about her. But... When she confessed her feelings about Chanyeol, ksoo knew it was true. 

She was willing to share her deeply hidden feelings with Kyungsoo, and now Kyungsoo wanted to tell her his own feelings as well. That's why he wanted to talk with her before, how he found out the truth... He wanted to share how he feels, too.

 

 

After a quick search in the more visible areas of the school, Kyungsoo took a turn to head back to the spot under the three in which they have spoken to Sohda before. As he rushed there, the figure under the three was now sitting down on the grass. Ah, Sohda is still there. Has she been sitting like this for a whole hour?

Kyungsoo noticed her head raising up when she heard him approaching. 
"What...? Did you come here to laugh at me? Did you forget a complaint you wanted to say before? Hurry up and say it." Sohda muttered quietly. "Or, don't tell me you're feeling pity for me?" She sneered coldly. But Kyungsoo just kneeled down calmly in front of her, similar to what he had done with Chanyeol before, so they will be eye to eye.

"I... I love Chanyeol. I finally realized that I have feelings for him. Romantic feelings..." Kyungsoo began, feeling slightly nervous and shy, but still confident. 
"The reason I came to find you before was to tell you this... I wanted to tell you how I feel, too." He lowered his eyes and rubbed the back of his head. 
"This is the first time I'm putting it into words... I didn't realize it's so hard to confess such a thing..." His heart is beating so fast. It must have been difficult for Sohda to be honest with him that day, too.

"You felt this much anxiety when you told me the same thing back then?" Kyungsoo asked gently. Noticing the shine in Sohda's eyes growing, and her body slightly siffening. 
"I--- I told you I'm not your friend. Stop comparing yourself to me!---" 
"Were you nervous...? A little embarrassed?" Kyungsoo asked with the same gentle voice. 
"Did it make you happy? When you found out that you like him...? When you told me...?" 
"Happy? Why would telling it to you, out of all people, make me happy?" Sohda suddenly rose up back on her feet, anger boiling in her yet again.

"You're just a bother that's stuck in my way! You can be with Chanyeol without even trying! I hate you!" She said, fire burning in her voice. 
"I was convinced that if paired up against you, I'd be the winner! Because... Compared to you... I'm so much more--- I'm way better..." Kyungsoo looked up at her quietly. She isn't wrong... Even when Kyungsoo thought about it himself, seeing the pair of Chanyeol and Sohda together made them look like the perfect match. Sohda must really love him so much. Slowly, Kyungsoo also rose to his feet.

"Sohda--- I think... I think you're so beautiful, even more than my first impression of you---" 
"I know that. I know that I'm pretty. But---" Her voice was shaking. "If Chanyeol won't fall in love with me, then what is the point of being beautiful at all?" She asked, tears appearing in her eyes. 
"I already know that Chanyeol doesn't love me that way... I can tell--- Because I've always been watching him..." She began sniffing, wiping her tears with the edge of her sleeves. Even when she cries Kyungsoo finds her beautiful. 
"W-Why did you come back here? I didn't want you to see me cry---..." 
"I had to... Because you know so many good things about Chanyeol... You're the only person I could come to." Kyungsoo explained softly, he felt like he's almost about to cry himself because of Sohda's pretty tears. 
"I... I hate you." He heard her whisper again.

Kyungsoo wasn't jealous of Sohda's beauty or anything like that... Not about the bright and happy atmosphere she gives off... Not about how good she would look together with Chanyeol... 
It's probably because he noticed how bright she is when she's in love with Chanyeol. He could only hope that he seems even as half as pleasant when he feels the same way about him. Her love for Chanyeol was beautiful, it made her beautiful, even if many other things that he thought made her who she is were false.

It took a while of somewhat comforting of a silence for Sohda to raise her face and look at Kyungsoo again. 
"You're so annoying. Why wont you let me cry in peace?" She mumbled, but Kyungsoo just pulled out a small pack of tissues out of his pocket, and handed it to her calmly. 
"How can you be so calm? What the hell did you and Chanyeol even talk about earlier today, when he pulled you away? Did you tell him that you like him? Did he tell you he likes you?" Sohda began getting more angry again, grumpily grabbing a piece of tissue from Kyungsoo's pack.

Huh? He told Chanyeol? Chanyeol told him? Kyungsoo couldn't even fathom how impossible such a scenario would be. 
"No way!! Chanyeol would never think that way about me. How would I tell him? I just found out my own feelings today... And only recently people began talking to me, being 'Doshio' and all." Kyungsoo waved his hands in decline as Sohda turned to look down at the grass. 
"Chanyeol doesn't judge people by things like that." She mumbled.

"He's always friendly, and kind... He only trusts people's words and never believes anything before confirming the truth. He can be a little hot tempered when things go wrong, but he'll scold you if you mess up. He hates dishonesty." Sohda began talking again, still looking pouty and upset, but somehow Kyungsoo found it heart warming that she's telling more about Chanyeol to him.

He was glad that he stopped Jongdae from telling Chanyeol the truth about Sohda's actions. If Chanyeol hates dishonesty... He would have started hating Sohda for what she had done. Lying... Spreading rumours... Chanyeol definitely wouldn't have liked it.

"He's popular with both girls and guys, too..." Kyungsoo added to the praises instead. 
"Right, he's bright and--- Wait a moment--- Why am I having this conversation with you?!" Sohda blew at him. 
"I'm just glad... I never got to talk with people like this before. All the movies say that it's never too late to love." He admitted quietly.

Despite what Sohda claimed about him, she still never treated Kyungsoo as nothing other but himself when they're face to face. 
"What are you saying...? Now was my chance. Since we started highschool... Everyone were supportive of me trying to approach Chanyeol like that. They all cheered for me... It was supposed to be my time to shine and make him see only me." Sohda huffed, leaning back and crossing her arms. 

"But that's all over now. Chanyeol probably thinks that I like Sehun now, after I've told him so much about how you might like him---... But whatever. I don't even care anymore." She sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

Her anger mellowed down into defeated acceptance. 
"I knew from the very beginning that he didn't have any feelings for me." Her voice sounded sad. "Even if he knew what I did... What does it matter anymore?" She sounded pretty conclusive with her words, and began walking away from the spot to end the conversation.

"You... You probably still care." Kyungsoo interrupted and turned to her. "I didn't like it when Chanyeol was sure that I have feelings for Sehun. i'm sure he'll understand if you told him the truth." He tried to calm the spirits and sound hopeful. 
"You think it matters? You think he will believe me...? Are you stupid?" Sohda asked rhetorically and coldly, walking away again. This time, Kyungsoo didn't follow her, and didn't try to stop her with further conversation. She understood that he stopped Jongdae from telling Chanyeol everything she had done, right?

Even though Sohda said all of these things, like she doesn't care... Kyungsoo could tell that she still cares. It must still bother her deep inside. The both of them share the same sort of feelings towards the same person... But it seems like even so, that doesn't guarantee a friendship between them. 

What will become of Sohda and himself then? Will they begin acting like strangers again? As if they are a nobody to each other? He wondered what kind of connection he'd have with Sohda if they hadn't liked the same person. Chances are, she wouldn't have been talking with him at all if it wasn't for Chanyeol's involvement with him.

Kyungsoo managed to catch Baekhyun and Jongdae when they leave the school, and decided that there's no better time to tell them about how new found feelings than now. After a long day of an emotional rollercoaster filled with questions and discoveries, this would definitely clear things up for both himself and Sohda in the situation.

 

 

"HUH?! So you like Chanyeol?!" Baekhyun shouted out loud with excitement, Kyungsoo definitely was glad that they were far away enough from school grounds so nobody else could hear it. 
"Haha! I knew it!" Jongdae grinned widely. "I'm happy for you! This feeling is one of the best you could experience in your life." His smile softened as he nodded with the advice Kyungsoo highly appreciated. 

He's so happy, but at the same time so embarrassed. 
"So? What made you realize that you like him?" Baekhyun asked as the three of them were walking again. 
"What made me realize...? Hmm... Sohda, probably." Kyungsoo answered honestly. If it wasn't for Sohda encouraging him to learn more about feelings of love, and specifically, about his own feelings of love, then Kyungsoo would have probably continued thinking that he only adores Chanyeol like an idol, from afar, rather than... Truly love him.

"Sohda... Huh. I was really surprised from how aggressive she became because of that..." Jongdae hummed out with a shrug. 
"I wonder what I would have done." Baekhyun mumbled curiously. Kyungsoo knew Baekhyun was just speculating, but something in the way his eye sharpened a little made Kyungsoo think that there's a little more than just a theory behind his question. 

"But anyway! Back on subject! I'm really happy for you, Kyungsoo." Baekhyun smiled widely instead, erasing every trace of what he radiated a moment ago. "Things are gonna get way more fun now, promise!" 
"Ahh~ Why did I have to make plans with my boyfriend today..." Jongdae began whining. "I wanna hear more from Kyungsoo~" He pouted like a child, Baekhyun happily poked his cheek.
"You should gain more experience with him so you could teach Kyungsoo what to do!" Jongdae lauched. Then the two of them began talking cheerfully.

Ah... Kyungsoo felt so relieved. He's so happy he told them. He's so grateful that he has such incredible friends who he can tell such things to, and receive this kind of warmth and happiness as a reaction. He was also glad that he told Sohda about these feelings, as well. It's just fair of him to do so.

The weekend had passed, and the next time Kyungsoo saw Sohda in the school's halls, he was really surprised, could barely even recognize her. She dyed her hair bright blonde, and walked around wearing large reflective sunglasses. She was no longer smiling gently at everyone who walked by, but strutted with confidence and self assertion. Like there was no innocence left in her image at all. She looked... So cool.

As she passed him by, Kyungsoo could see that she was glancing at him from beneath the glasses, but she didn't even turn to speak with him. Just held her head high and kept walking like she owned the place. Even the teachers in the hall didn't dare to approach and tell her that wearing sunglasses inside is inappropriate.

Maybe she has finally come to terms with herself, and after what happened, she'll show her true self to the world and allow people to learn how to accept her for the way she really is. To Kyungsoo, it looked like even though she had changed, the bits and pieces of truth she had in her previous image are still there. And the students at school, although shocked from the difference, still took her for her worth and remained there, trusting in her new self. 

Kyungsoo could only hope that with this change of appearance and behaviour, will come a change in honesty. She'd be the coolest person in the whole school if she actually began being honest, and telling the truth about what she thinks and feels to everyone who surrounds her.

During that week, Yubin the band's original senior vocalist finally returned to school, and it seemed that Chanyeol and his group of friends arranged a special gathering party for all of the students who participated as staff members during the outdoors activities festival. Of course, with a dimpled smile, Kyungsoo was invited by Chanyeol as well. It was the first time he ever attended any sort of party with school mates. So he made sure to wait outside of the lot until Baekhyun and Jongdae arrived so he wouldn't enter alone and possibly get too overwhelmed.

It was a small cozy karaoke room with enough space to contain a large group of people. There wasn't much there except for the couches and tables, snacks, and some alcohol-free drinks. After gearing up with a bottle each, the three of them sat down at one of the quieter corner booths and began chatting again. The pleasant, to say kindly, singing of their classmates provided background music.

"Well, we asked you how you found out that you like him. But, when did you start having romantic feelings towards him?" Jongdae asked curiously, Baekhyun sipped on his drink but paid his utmost attention to Kyungsoo as well. 
"A-Actually... I think I liked him for a while now." Kyungsoo responded, his heart pouring straight through his mouth without being filtered by his mind. Is that true? When exactly has he began liking Chanyeol like that? 

He watched his classmates play and have fun for a while, but his head kept pounding with more and more thoughts about Chanyeol, who was there as well, of course, laughing and chatting with anybody who bumped into him in the crowded room. 

Kyungsoo kept wondering when these feelings first sprouted in his heart, how strong they were, how thankful he is for every smile Chanyeol had blessed him with... And just as he feared, be began feeling overwhelmed, and politely excused himself out of the rented room to catch some fresh air.

The event really is a lot of fun, although Kyungsoo mostly looked at it from the side, not knowing how to blend with the rest and join in to their hyper energy. He was happy to be there at all, but the fact that Chanyeol is there, and that Baekhyun and Jongdae are still looking for more details out of him, was a little too much. He's not used to such social events. Let alone one in these dimensions.

After washing his face in the toilet, he stepped out and stood by the opened windows of the facility by the stairs. The air is cold, it's refreshing. He's been thinking too hard about this. Deep down, he knows when his heart began pounding to the beat of Chanyeol's drum. 

It was when Chanyeol called his name for the first time.