Chapter 13

Doshio

 

After 'Operation Morons' had ended, at least on the way back home, nobody could say anything. Baekhyun and Yixing walked behind the herd, right beside each other, but they haven't said a word either. They didn't even look at each other from what Kyungsoo could tell. The silence they all shared was anything but awkward, though. It felt like the calm that comes after the storm, like the earth had been stripped of the old and regrew the new thanks to that.

"Hey hon~" his father's voice came from the living room after Kyungsoo got home safely. 
"Did you have fun at the... Arcade you said you went?" He asked cheerfully, getting up and approaching Kyungsoo to give him a gentle hug. 
"It was a lot of fun. Everything went well and nobody got injured." Kyungsoo hugged him back.
"We got to eat at that one restaurant you told me about, as well." They both shared a smile. And after a few more minutes of a pleasant chat, Kyungsoo began preparing for bed. Right before falling asleep, he remembered the exchange of tickets he had made in the arcade, and quickly pulled the giraffe plush out of his bag, sitting it down right next to his pillow. 

The fact that Chanyeol has the giraffe scarf and Kyungsoo has this giraffe plush means that they actually own matching items, right? It made Kyungsoo feel excited, yet calm and happy at the same time. 

Chanyeol was so wonderful. He's senstimental and soft along with wise and talented. Starting with his words, the plan, the way he acted so naturally while always being aware, and the tears he had shed for Baekhyun and Yixing's sake. His heart is large and accepting, and Kyungsoo isn't sure if he wants to be in his heart, or learn how to have just as big of a heart himself.

The weekend had passed, and Christmas is knocking on their doors, which means new years celebrations will come right behind, and their short winter vacation will be taking place soon. It's so strange how fast time runs. Kyungsoo can't believe how quickly they've come to cross the half mark of sophomore year. Which is, so far, the best, most exciting and happiest school year of his life.

The weekend had given ksoo enough time to clear his head from the excess of worries and emotions related to 'Operation Morons' that were still left in his mind. So when he arrived at school everything felt fresh and neat, instead of stressful and worrisome.

Up the stairs and towards the class he went, but in the hallway he spotted a bunch of students talking. One of them being Jongin. He was smiling and laughing with his friends. Forget about the no worries, whenever he sees Jongin he can't help but remember the amount of pain he felt when learning about the situation between Jongdae and him. It must be like a dark scary cloud that constantly floats above Jongin's head.

He peacefully prepared to cross the group and enter his class, but right before turning, he noticed something odd about Jongin's usually flawless handsome face. There was a bruise located right on the side of his jaw. It's red and purple, looking a little bloated too, and definitely unpleasantly hurtful. Kyungsoo just stood there and stared for a while, until Jongin seemed to have noticed him, and smiled warmly while waving at him. "Morning, Kyungsoo." His voice is always so lovely, there's something very unique about Jongin as a whole. No wonder he pairs up with Chanyeol's slot as the school's most beloved most handsome guys.

Kyungsoo waved back lightly, a little taken aback by the way the people surrounding Jongin stared at him in confusion. He can't blame them, why would someone like Jongin have any connection with anyone like Kyungsoo? Or even look at him at all? Either way, Kyungsoo had made it to class and sat down at his table. 

Then it finally hit him.

The bruise... On Jongin's face... That must have happened that night, right? The night when 'Operation Morons' took place and he managed to save the whole project by sacrificing his own safety for their sake. That group of people he made run after him didn't look like they'd let him go without a mark to begin with... And it seems that they indeed have left their mark on him.

Kyungsoo's heart trembled at Jongin's act of stupid bravery, and he remembered how he wanted to tell Jongdae about his brother's heroism. But stronger than his wish to tell Jongdae the truth, was his fear of causing Jongdae any discomfort by mentioning Jongin's name in front of him at all. He already knows how delicate the situation between them is. He will have to find another time, in the future, hopefully when things get better between them, if they will.

"Gooood morning~!" Kyungsoo jumped in surprise when Baekhyun's loud greeting came from beside him. He was so deep into thinking about Jongin and Jongdae that he hadn't even seen him enter the classroom at all. But even from this first glance at his friend, Kyungsoo could tell Baekhyun's heart was finally at total ease.

He looked like he was glowing with happiness, and that brought a warm smile across his lips already. 
"Good morning, Baekhyun. How are you doing?" 
"I am... Fantastic! Haven't felt this great in a while! Like I could do anything! Even a surprise quiz in today's math!" Baekhyun grinned widely, sitting backwards on the chair of his seat and gesturing around with his arms as he spoke. 
"O-Okay, maybe not a surprise quiz in math, but you get me." He looked troubled for a moment before smiling again, evoking a short laughter out of Kyungsoo. His high energies were really contagious.

Though Kyungsoo truly was happy. He could not only see, but also feel just how much weight and burden have been lifted off of Baekhyun's shoulders after the plan had successfully come to an end. An ending not even the most optimistic of the group could have expected. Kyungsoo doesn't regret any of it. It's a little bit of a hypocritical thing to say now, that he knows the plan had resulted in such a good outcome. Especially since he was probably the first of them all to constantly wish to cancel the plan through that day.

But going until the end and allowing these two to collide had really taught him a lot. About them, about their group of friends, and mostly, about himself. Kyungsoo had gained another layer of confidence through this experience. The reassurance that the end result of a decision he makes may not be as good as how the operation ended, will be able to heal thanks to the people around him. Whatever decision he makes, he will have to handle it and be responsible for it. Just like Chanyeol said. Even if it wouldn't be his own decision to make, he will be able to provide support to those who do have to conquer the consequences. Or at least, he could try.

"Morning! Whoa, you seem happy first thing in the morning." Jongdae sat in the seat in front of Kyungsoo and turned sideways to face Baekhyun with a smile. 
"Kinda cool, huh?" Baekhyun grinned back. 
"Maybe even cooler if you wouldn't be so loud." Jongdae , and Baekhyun blinked surprised. 
"OH YOU MEAN THIS LOUD?" He shouted even louder, causing the two of them to begin jokingly fighting and teasing each other cheerfully. Ah... Kyungsoo adores their deep connection so much. They're really wonderful, like they both play on the same transmissions.

"What are these two being so loud for?" Chanyeol had popped into his seat beside Kyungsoo, smiling at their direction as he shot Kyungsoo the question. He gently pulled the scarf off his neck and folded it carefully into his inner pocket. Kyungsoo will never get tired of watching him do that. He treats the birthday gift Kyungsoo gave him with so much respect. 
"It's because Baekhyun is happy." 
"Yeah. He better be." Chanyeol chuckled lightly and leaned back in his chair. Sehun quietly passed behind them and sat down as well. 

Just like that, surrounded by his close friends, who are now all in the thrill of happiness after the resolution between Baekhyun and Yixing, Kyungsoo was truly happy.

 

 

The day couldn't have remained as happy as Kyungsoo thought it would be. In the afternoon, his mother tasked him with shopping for a few little things from town. Nothing urgent or important for the short term. He made it through the shopping list quickly, and had already began making it back home, when he saw Jongin standing on the other side of the road on his phone.

He would have called him to say hello, but Jongin yet again managed to look like he's in the middle of a supermodel magazine photoshoot of some sort. Simply by standing there and existing. The bruise on his jaw was pretty noticeable, but it still didn't decrease not even a degree in his beauty. Kyungsoo can't possibly interrupt that, so he kept walking ahead.

Less than a second after removing his eyes from Jongin, however, a very loud sound of a truck's engine, horn, and brakes shot right through his ears from behind... Right where Jongin stood. And before he managed to turn around and see what happened, an unnaturally rolling body of a person slid across the road.

Kyungsoo felt a cold sharp shiver run up his spine, his heart sunk down to his feet, and his brain took a few seconds to register what he had just seen. At the end of these seconds, Kyungsoo's eyes widened in shock. The person lying on the road was no other than Jongin.

By the time he approached him, another person on the street had already called the police, and an ambulance. In cold shock, Kyungsoo kneeled down beside Jongin and repeatedly called out his name again and again. There was no response... But With careful observation he detected that he's still breathing. A few people around had asked Kyungsoo if he knows him, and by the time the ambulance had arrived, Kyungsoo and his little shopping bag were also brought onto the ambulance.

Jongin was put under care at the moment they arrived at the hospital, and Kyungsoo could only do as much as tell the nurse the details he knows about Jongin, then sit and wait right outside of the room in which he's being taken care of.

Other patients with other levels of recovery stages from other accidents kept passing by. Some were as good as a simple broken arm, and some were as bad as being unable to roll themselves without help on the wheelchair. This definitely didn't help Kyungsoo's stress levels. He shuddered at the thought of Jongin possibly becoming one of the recovery patients who cannot do anything on their own. They must feel so helpless. Other than that, being the only person who knows of Jongin's current condition is also quite a stressful position. He doesn't know anybody's phone numbers, not even Jongin's parents names. He's the only one there for him, and it was a responsibility he was definitely not prepared to handle at such an unexpected circumstance.

An hour passed, then another hour, all while Kyungsoo spent the time sitting and building up the pressure and stress inside his head by thinking of all worse possibilities of results for Jongin. A few of the patients, and even hospital staff around him began giving him looks of fear and surprise when passing by. His aura must be awful... He knew he must have been looking like an actual horror movie character, sitting there silently in aumost buzzed stress and worry. 'Doshio' had made an appearance.

But luckily, minutes after the two hour mark had passed, a nurse came over to Kyungsoo with a small worried smile. She said Jongin will be transported to a private recovery room according to his wishes. And that he's safe, and no longer in any physical health danger. Kyungsoo felt so relieved he wasn't even able to speak at all. He simply nodded at the nurse enthusiastically. Then he finally took his first toilet break, and made it up to the room in which Jongin will be staying.

He knocked before entering, and a doctor who had just examined Jongin allowed Kyungsoo inside. Jongin was already starting to wake up again. He was breathing on his own, and attached only to very few machines, as compared to some of the other patients Kyungsoo had seen walking around with a mobile version of them. Jongin was a little confused at first, he was quite surprised to see Kyungsoo there, and even more surprised from looking at his own condition. After Kyungsoo had to tell him what had happened to him, Jongin just rested his head backwards and sighed out loud. Kyungsoo was just glad that he was able to sigh like this at all. He had also already helped Jongin contact his parents.

"Not that it can be seen as much... At your current condition... But I saw that you had a bruise on your jaw this morning. Did it happen because of...?" Kyungsoo began asking after they've spoken for a while. He knew he wasn't much, but Jongin seemed to be extremely thankful to have company. And Kyungsoo was willing to provide just that until he was no longer needed.

"Yeah. It's from the people who were in the street..." Jongin confirmed. 
"I had a feeling that's the case. Thank you for the sacrifice you gave for their sake back there. Nothing would have worked out if they stayed... You really saved us." Kyungsoo bowed his head with gratitude. 
"Don't mention it, Baekhyun's my friend as well. Even if you probably wouldn't have known that at school." Jongin said with a sad tone. 
"How... How did you know that we were there? Did you know about the plan?" 
"I knew. I was home too when all of you were there... I wanted to help too, but I knew Jongdae would have gotten angry. So I sat by the stairs and learned the plan from listening instead." Jongin admitted quietly.

Kyungsoo's heart fluttered in his chest. Jongin is so... Soft. And gentle. He's so careful and selfless, even though at school his impression is exactly the opposite of these thins, in reality he's actually golden hearted and humble. Jongin actually sat and listened to them work on the plan in order to help from afar, because he wanted to make sure that Jongdae's alreay stressful condition from the situation wouldn't have worsened by having him around... He's really sefless and kind.

Once they've streered into the subject of Jongdae, it seems that Jongin's spirit had shifted a little. He suddenly looked smaller, way, way smaller than his usual vibrant, large, attention grabbing being. He looked sad, lonely, and scared.
Jongin said that he actually really adores Jongdae. That he admires him as a role model and an example of strength. He actually always seeks Jongdae's attention in one way or another, because he really wants to make things good between them again.

Kyungsoo learned that Jongdae is an extremely precious person in Jongin's life, and that he's not willing to let go. He also already knew that deep down, Jongdae does care about Jongin as well. After the time they all took care of Jongin and his room, there were many signs leading to the fact that both Jongdae and Jongin really want to be fine with each other, but outer reasons on the surface keep tearing them apart.

Jongin sounded extremely sad when he mentioned that he knows getting back to the good connections with Jongdae is a selfish request. Since Jongin's very own existence must be something that causes Jongdae a certain amount of pain, considering their situation. But he wished they could put this burdensome pain behind them and start again. There's so much he wants to tell Jongdae, and so much he wants to hear Jongdae tell, too.

They were so good before. Before the truth was revealed and they knew what was really going on. The two of them were invincible together. They loved each other so much, and were so attached and close to one another. All of their childhood secrets are still hidden in each other's hearts. Jongin said that he really hates the fact that he knows a big part of what caused this problem are his parents and the way they handles the situation. He will never forgive them for the way they began treating Jongdae differently just because he got upset about it. It's not Jongdae's fault... He was a child. How else was he supposed to react if not get upset?

Jongin still loves Jongdae so much, but he's also really scared that Jongdae doesn't... Jongdae is his brother. Even if it's only half of a blood connection, even if there was no blood connection at all. Nothing could change that.

Before highschool began, Jongin recalled how Jongdae told him that he would rather not have a brother at all. And that if Jongin will give away even a hint of them being connected in any way, Jongdae will never talk with him again. He was so shocked, and the thought of losing absolutely everything he had with Jongdae was so scary, that he accepted it. Like a fool. And now he fears that it might be too late to restore anything that is still left.

Kyungsoo's heart was beating with sadness as he realized that he as well, couldn't tell that there was any connection going on between the two of them at all. Not until Jongdae had told him about it. Kyungsoo of course, didn't mention the fact that he knew all of the details already to Jongin, because it's not his place to expose even further how Jongdae feels about it all. Now even the little bit of interaction they could have had at school will be gone with Jongin's recovery required absence. 

Jongin didn't really expect any reaction out of Kyungsoo, so seeing that he had wiped a single tear away from the corner of his eye made him chuckle apologetically. 
"Sorry, I didn't mean to vent like this... I just... Miss him. I guess." He said quietly. And Kyungsoo quickly shook his head and very gently Jongin's back of the palm that was free of bandages. 
"No, no, I'm glad. It must have hurt you a lot all this time." Kyungsoo reassured him warmly.
"Hah... It's funny. I'm in the hospital right now, broken bones, broken... Whatever that is wrong with me. But the pain doesn't even compare to what it feels like to be in this state of connection with Jongdae." Jongin admitted in a sad smile, and Kyungsoo could only nod sympathetically.

The subject had eventually changed, and at some point Jongin's father had also entered the room. He thanked Kyungsoo for what he had done for Jongin with gratitude, and ordered him a taxi to get back home safely, since it was already dark outside.

Kyungsoo felt an overwhelming wave of loneliness wash over him. All this time he had thought that Jongdae was the one dealing with the majority of the pain. But Jongin... Jongin is dealing with just as much misery. How could anybody live their lives, thinking that their very existence is the reason someone precious to them is in pain? No wonder Jongin's room was in that state of oceany garbage. He simply... He just doesn't bother doing anything for himself at all. To him... None of it even matters. 

Jongin lives every day thinking that he is the reason Jongdae doesn't come home anymore. Thinking that if he dares to say a word or show his love for his very own brother, he'd lose everything he already had with him forever. It's so cruel... None of it is Jongin's fault... None of it is Jongdae's fault either... And yet the two of them are living in a hell of pain that neither of them are able to change. One out of stubborn anger, and the other out of fear.

Kyungsoo thought about how much he wanted to tell Jongdae about Jongin's deed during 'Operation Morons'. He wanted to tell him about Jongin's love, admiration, and affection towards him. He wanted to make him understand that there is no reason to hold onto the pain just because of the adults who did him wrong and made him feel like an alien in his own home. It wasn't Jongin's fault... 

But he can't. Kyungsoo knew that he can't. It's none of his business to solve the family issues of anybody else. Even if that somebody is one of the most important people he's had in his life. With the memory of Chanyeol's wise words in his mind, Kyungsoo decided that instead of falling down into stress and worry, he will do his best to become a strong reliable person they could depend on. That even in case things begin falling apart, he could be there and hold them back together.

If Baekhyun and Yixing's situation was a cracked window glass that needed to be broken in order to be replaced, then Jongdae and Jongin's situation is more like a whole wall is being built up, a little stone gets added every day. The both of them can barely see each other anynore from both sides of the wall. That wall will need to be broken for the sake of regaining the access to reach each other. And he hoped that there's still enough gaps between the little stones, to allow them both to break it open unharmed.

 

 

It came to their last day at school before the break begins. Although there were no school events related to Christmas or new years, it seemed that the students themselves were in a buzz. Last year ksoo would have never imagined to spend Christmas with anybody other than his parents, and perhaps his grandparents if they were able to visit. But this year, hearing the students in every corner talking about gits and parties and the spirit of giving for the sake of kindness, really got to him as well and brought up his excitement.

"So!" Jongdae exclaimed when turning around and grabbing their friends group's attention. Kyungsoo was busy imagining how nice it'd be to cook for his family for the eve. "Christmas party, my place, in three days." He proceeded, grabbing a sheet of paper and placing it down on Kyungsoo's table, since it's the center spot for everyone to approach and see what's written in it. Kyungsoo was quite surprised. 
"A party...? With me...?" He looked at Jongdae puzzled, pointing a finger at himself. 
"Of course!" Whoa... Kyungsoo was just officialy invited to his first ever Christmas party with friends... He stared at the sheet on his table with warmth spreading in his body.

"We'll have Minseok, Junmyeon, Yixing, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, you, Sehun, and me." Jongdae smiled at him warmly. Oh... Isn't someone missing? Especially if it will take place at Jongdae's place. 
"What about Jongin...?" Kyungsoo asked curiously before being able to stop himself from mentioning his name. He worries about Jongin's condition after the accident, but at the same time he isn't sure if it's his place to speak about him at all. Does Jongdae know that his brother is in the hospital at all?

"I don't know. He has his own things." Jongdae simply brushed it off naturally, shrugging his shoulders and looking completely oblivious to the whole situation. That's an extremely cold reaction towards someone who's been through something so rough and dangrous, very unlikely for Jongdae... That must mean he really doesn't know about Jongin's situation at all. Kyungsoo knew it was not his news to announce, so he simply nodded, even though he felt pretty guilty about it all.

"Alright, we have to settle who brings what. I mean, I'll take care of most things with Minseokie and it's all written here. So you guys just add what you're gonna bring so we could prepare." Jongdae explained, and as both Sehun and Chanyeol stood behind Kyungsoo and hovered above him to read the list, he felt like he really is a part of something great.

A tree, tree decorations, colorful fairy lights, mistletoe, entertainment, and various other things were already written in the list as the default aspects Jongdae will be providing in the party. Which means each guest will bring something with them to contribute. All of the other three had already began writing down things they could bring with them, and in the end, it was just Kyungsoo staring at the paper alone and thinking what else could be of any use. Eventually, he wrote down his decisions and handed Jongdae the filled sheet.

"I was also thinking of turning the gift giving process into a secret santa game! That way nobody would end up as broke as we all were last year." Jongdae spoke again after placing the sheet in his bag. Kyungsoo turned his head around and looked at the gloomy expressions on everyone's faces from the memories of the party he could only imagine they all had together last year.
"That's the greatest idea you've ever had...." Baekhyun mumled, looking jokingly tearful as he smeared himself in a hug around Jongdae's shoulders.

After explaining the rules of the game to Kyungsoo and creating the notes with everybody's names, Sehun donated his beanie as a shuffling device. Jongdae explained that the names that weren't chosen will be split between the three other party participants who aren't in school with them. Each one of them picked out a note from the hat, until Jongdae grabbed out the last remining pieces and handed Sehun back his hat. Kyungsoo was really excited and curious to know who he will be able to buy a nice Christmas gift for. Different gift options to different gift receivers scrambled in his mind, until they all mutually nodded and secretly opened their notes together at the same time.

Kyungsoo couldn't believe his eyes at first. Really, he had an idea for a gift for every single person in the group, even for Yixing who he barely knows well enough to really have a clue as to what he actually likes. But out of everyone, he just had to pick out the one name he knew he'd be having trouble thinking of a gift for. 

It's almost like fate had decided to toy with him like that. What are the chances that he'd manage to pick out Chanyeol? He was so convinced he'd be getting someone else, that he wasn't sure if he's shocked or happy to have picked Chanyeol out of them all. 
"Don't forget to not tell anybody else whose name you got, otherwise it'll ruin the fun." Jongdae grinned at them all, and the day went on.

"Hey, Kyungsoo." Baekhyun snuck behind him at the end of school day when Kyungsoo was emptying unnecessary books into his locker. 
"Did you get my name for the secret santa?" He asked quietly, looking from side to side suspiciously. Jongdae said that they must not expose who they've gotten, but how is he supposed to not answer Baekhyun? 
"No, not you." 
"Phew! Alright, good. I didn't get you either." He sighed in relief and then smiled, being a lot less secretive now. 
"Wanna go shopping with me tomorrow, then? We could get the gifts and the rest of the things we need together." Kyungsoo had a small feeling of deja vu from the last time the two of them went out. It was really fun and helpful to have another person around. And so, they've agreed.

 

 

The next day, the two of them met at the town's main street, and marched together to the shopping area. It had anything anybody could possibly think of needing. From fresh food, to electronic gadgets, to clothing stores and even baby strollers.

First thing they did, was to puchase all of the ingredients and items needed for the party itself. Baekhyun apparently had written he will bring the drinks and some meat. Kyungsoo had written he'd bring a cake, since he remembered the success of his previous cake when Baekhyun and Jongdae came over to his place for the afternoon, and also a classic Christmas recipe from home, fried chicken.

They were done with the party requirements fairly quickly, and stopped for a short break at a little coffee shop, where Kyungsoo learned that Baekhyun had already visited Yixing's new place, and that he likes it and thinks it suits his taste a lot. Which is great news. Not only about the place, but about the fact that the two of them are able to reconnect and patch up the tear that's been formed after what happened. They sat and talked for a while. It was so peaceful and relaxing. 

Then, came the hardest part of them all. At least for Kyungsoo. Finding a gift for Chanyeol. Baekhyun seems to be pretty lost about it as well, although neither of them told each other who they'll be giving their gifts to, they could at least share the sentiment of cluelessness in fear of disappointment. At some point they wandered into a store full of gadgets. Phones, television screens, computer quipment, cameras and other various things.

"Hmm~ A camera could be a nice gift!" Baekhyun claimed, approaching the cameras isle and examining a few devices lying out in the display. Kyungsoo followed along out of curiousity. "Something small that can be easily carried around would be handy." Baekhyun continued mumbling to himself. Kyungsoo picked up one of the cameras and turned it in his hand.

However, when he spotted the price tag, his eyes widened and he quickly placed the camera back down. 
"I-It's probably quite outside the budget..." He tugged to Baekhyun's arm gently. 
"Huh? I dont know, the small ones look pretty decen---" He also, had turned to check the price tag of the smallest one he found. 
"Nope. Nope. You're right. Cameras are a big no." He grimaced before pulling Kyungsoo with him outside the store in a hurry.

"Aauugh I have no ideaaa!" Baekhyun whined out with a pout. 
"I'm also... Quite lost." Kyungsoo admitted while looking around the shopping district, the two of them already carrying a bunch of ingredient bags with them. 
"Should we think of something that is fun? Something pretty? Something silly? Something useful?" Baekhyun began asking mostly himself, as their feet wandered into one of the clothing stores.

Neither of them thought anything related to clothes could be a proper gift. Especially because they probably don't even know the sizes of their targets. But this store specifically seemed to be having incredibly cheap winter sales, so they gave it a chance anyway and began looking around. At some point they split, and Kyungsoo knew where Baekhyun was only when he heard him cheer out aloud. 
"Aha!" Came from the other corner of the store. He got there quickly, and found Baekhyun examining two coats. Both on sale, both look like they'd fit anybody of their group. Whoa, what a catch. "Which one do you think is better?" He asked Kyungsoo, showing him the different designs.

One looked fairly simple, just a black coat with some neat seams that give it a cool style, and the other had a weird pattern across the cloth. 
"This one is nice." Kyungsoo gestured at the clear black one, and Baekhyun grinned with a nod.
"Right, I thought so too. It'd match them better." At the cash register, Baekhyun requested for the coat to be wrapped as a gift, and they were out on the crowded street again.

So Baekhyun went with a useful gift. Kyungsoo also thinks that bringing someone something useful is the best when it comes to gifts. Because otherwise they might not find it as important and it'll just get covered in dust somewhere in their house. In his head, Kyungsoo tried to run over the things that Chanyeol are interested in as they walked around. Until a small music shop was spotted at the corner of his eyes, and he immediately remembered Chanyeol's great love for music. His feet, following his instict, led him to the store immediately.

He recalled how much fun Chanyeol and him had during the preparation period before the outdoors festival their school held. How Chanyeol could play every single instrument that any of the other band members were using. Although during the performance Chanyeol was on the drums, Kyungsoo, in practices, could tell that Chanyeol is having the most joy when strumming a guitar. 

So he turned in the store right towards the guitar section. The wall was covered in hanging guitars. All of them having different unique designs, shapes and sounds. But he knew that purchasing a guitar would be impossible. Not only because of the budget, but also because he has no idea how to choose a proper guitar.

Baekhyun behind him got distracted by one of the shelves. It had a bunch of small funny instruments like kazoos, whistle flutes, and maracas. These wouldn't really do... Although he knows Chanyeol would have fun with them for a while, people lose interest quickly in such things. Underneath all of these, however, Kyungsoo spotted a shelf with plastic containers filled with small colorful squares.

As he stepped closer, he noticed that they were actually guitar picks. Tons and tons of picks. Choosing a guitar might be impossible, but finding a nice pick seems like an easy enough job. He knows Chanyeol has a classic acoustic guitar back at home, or so he told him during band practices. So he grabbed onto the acoustic guitar picks container and began searching through it.

After a while of picking out differently designed picks, Kyungsoo finally found his winner. A white guitar pick with the word 'Happiness' written on it in aqua blue. The only one of its kind in the entire picks box. It looks really gentle, and Kyungsoo finds it quite fitting. Especially since Chanyeol really is a source of happiness. With a small smile, Kyungsoo placed the container back down and went over to pay. Good thing Baekhyun was there, because he reminded Kyungsoo to request the pick to be wrapped as a gift. 

Good, he's done it. He found the perfect gift for Chanyeol. Even though it's nothing big, he hoped that Chanyeol would be able to understand the meaning behind it.

As they were on their way back, Kyungsoo realized that they had crossed the same place where Kyungsoo, a long while ago, asked Baekhyun if he likes someone. He remembers very well the way Baekhyun's smile was hiding such terrible pain. And knowing that now these feelings he had been suffering from finally turned back into, like he said, sunshine and rainbows, made Kyungsoo feel happy. Baekhyun deserves this happiness, he deserves to love brightly and feel enriched by his feelings.

The two shoppers, satisfied with their shopping session, parted ways happily at the end of the day. Kyungsoo placed the little wrapped gift for Chanyeol right at the center of his desk at the moment he entered his room. So there won't be a chance that he will forget it, even if he'll be distracted by other things before leaving for the party in two days.

A day after the shopping with Baekhyun, Kyungsoo visited Jongin in the hospital again. Although he didn't have to, he prepared a small gift for him as well, and brought a nice little lunch box for him to vary up the hospital food he has to eat. Jongin, other than still being quite beaten from the injury, seemed to be holding up well when it came to spirits. Apparently a bunch more of his friends will be visiting him soon, and his mom will come over and celebrate Christmas with him at the hospital. Kyungsoo was still worried anyway, of course, but at least he now knows that Jongin's in good hands. That he wouldn't be spending all this time alone.

 

 

Preparations have been going well when it came to baking the cake and cooking the chicken in the morning of the party. Kyungsoo had even already planned what outfit he'd wear and which socks he'd put on. But along with the excitement for the party, and for spending a Christmas with his friends for the first time, grew his fear regarding the gift. 

Is it too small? Will it disappoint Chanyeol? Compared to the giant gift Baekhyun is going to bring, will he be happy to receive such a tiny wrapped gift? Maybe Kyungsoo had made a mistake and it wouldn't be good after all. His mind kept spinning with doubts. He was lucky he somehow managed to cook the fried chicken unharmed while being this distracted.

After the cake had cooled down and so did he, he managed to decorate it right for the event. With a white creamy coat, and happy little colored cream drawings of Christmas related items. A little santa face, a tree, some leaves and even a sleigh. That'd be good enough. Usually his dressing attire is mostly black, but this time he switched it up with a red knitted sweater, and some striped green and white socks to match with the colors of the holiday.

His parents helped him place everything he needed in the bags, and he made sure to hide the gift for Chanyeol so it could be used for the reveal of secret santa correctly. Although worried about the worth of the gift, he thanked his parents for the help, and successfully made it to Jongdae's house a little earlier than planned. 

He was greeted by a smiling Minseok at the door, who automatically helped him assort everything he had brought. 
"Where do I put the gift for the secret santa?" Kyungsoo then whispered in his ear. When he arrived at the living room and found Sehun and Baekhyun already walking around and hanging decorations on the walls. 
"There's a bag behind the tree." Minseok replied quietly with a friendly wink. And Kyungsoo was sent on his way. He managed to easily sneak by his distracted friends and shove his gift into the bag.

In the kitchen he found that Jongdae was busy placing everything into proper containers and keeping it all in order, while Minseok assisted him by taking care of everything that shouldn't be there. Happy to see Kyungsoo, Jongdae immediately accepted his offered help, and the three of them did the job a lot better than just two.

A while later Junmyeon and Yixing arrived together, and at last, Chanyeol also managed to make it in time, carrying the most bags out of all of the other guests. Once the preparations were done, everybody sat together in the living room and began talking. About school, about the weather, Yixing talked more about his new place and Sehun talked about being glad that his brother is coming to visit. They were all at ease, sitting peacefully and simply enjoying each other's company.

For Kyungsoo, however, it was an extremely adorable view. They sat in a circle, however half on the floor and half on the couches. Directly in front of him right next to the sofa on the floor sat Jongdae, since its the closest to the kitchen. And on the couch's corner sat Minseok, whose hand was brushing lightly through Jongdae's hair from time to time. Next to Minseok was Sehun, and against him leaned Junmyeon who wouldn't stop playing with his thigh or knee. Then ksoo himself on the couch, next to him on floor was Chanyeol, sprawled freely and comfortably on the carpet. Then between him and Jongdae, Yixing and Baekhyun sat relatively apart from each other, except for Baekhyun's left leg which was for some reason rested on top of Yixing's legs.

Either way, looking at everyone being so close, warm and loving like this, felt just like a family. A family of friends that have chosen one another on their own. It was really relaxing to just chill together like that, especially since Kyungsoo got the best angle to continue looking at Chanyeol without being noticed. He got to learn a lot more about Yixing, too. About stories from the past that glimmered with innocence and joy. He was happy he was able to hear them, and learn more about the depth and value of his connection with the rest of their group of friends.

Until Sehun started showing signs that he's hungry. At which point, everybody helped bring everything to the large coffee table, and the meal began. Minseok even some jolly festive music in the background.

Once the food was done and cleaned back up in the kitchen, the cake came out along with a bunch of planned games. Everybody ate and complimented Kyungsoo for the cake between their turns in the games, between laughing and bantering, teasing and shouting in distress when losing. It was, seriously, so much fun. Kyungsoo wasn't able to stop smiling even when he tried. Only a while after everybody had calmed down from the games' buzzed energy, Jongdae announced the secret santa event will now take place.

Chosen to be the 'Santa' of the event, was Junmyeon. 
So he stood in front of everybody with the large sack of gifts that was hidden under the tree until that point. Before each gift was pulled out of the sack, everybody created the sound of drums by tapping on their own thighs, Kyungsoo's heart also created the sound of drums in his ears every time, in fear that Junmyeon will pull his gift out and he'll have to deal with the possibility of Chanyeol not liking it, or being disappointed by only seeing the size of the wrappers.

"Chanyeol! This is from your secret santa~" Junmyeon called out, after both Minseok and Baekhyun got their own gifts opened. Kyungsoo was startled, and his heart sunk to his feet as he watched the way everybody looked at the little wrapping curiously. Baekhyun was the only one who glanced at him knowingly. To be fair, up until this point, the gift Baekhyun knew he chose could have gone to both Chanyeol and Sehun. So it was a fifty fifty chance.

"Whoa! Such a small gift! It must be something really precious, then." Chanyeol grinned when taking it from Junmyeon. He very carefully unwrapped the ribbon, but then failed to reveal the gift without tearing the wrapper paper itself open. His eyes widened when he saw the little plastic box with the pick in it. 
"Happines...?" He clicked it open and held the pick between his fingers right away, pretending to strum a fake guitar.

Then he grinned brightly and looked at Sehun. 
"Thanks man, I knew you'd get me that." He laughed, but Sehun stared at him for a bit before shrugging. 
"Wasn't me." 
"No way, you're the only one who knew I needed a new pick." Chanyeol insisted, but Sehun shook his head yet again, leaving Chanyeol utterly confused staring at his new pick. 

All this time, Kyungsoo felt like he's about to lose his heart because it'll jump out of his chest. First of all, seeing how happy Chanyeol was to receive the gift already made him hot, but knowing that he chose the exact one thing Chanyeol actually needed without even knowing that he did, really made him feel like he succeeded. So although he managed to keep a neutral face, he felt like a party was going on inside of him. Ahh... Such a relief... He was so worried that his gift would seem cheap or become pointless.

Somehow, every other person in the group managed to get their gift before him. When Yixing got his gift, Kyungsoo realized that just like he was lucky enough to draw Chanyeol out of the hat, Baekhyun was lucky to draw Yixing. He recognized the coat from the store they both went to. And although Baekhyun was acting surprised and impressed, he could see the happiness sparking in his eyes from being able to give Yixing this gift. It's such a great gift for someone who's been gone for a year, and is about to face the korean winter again.

 

 

"Alright, before the last gift is given, let's do a round so you guys can guess and reveal who gave you the presents~!" Junmyeon smiled, winking at Kyungsoo to assure him that it's okay that he hasn't gotten his gift yet.

Everybody began shouting in chaos. Baekhyun was more than happy to explain that he bought Yixing the coat so that he'd be ready for the cold winter to come, now that he must have very few belongings after coming back. And Yixing seemed to have been touched by the thought from the way his eyes were shining when he listened to Baekhyun speak.

Some of them got silly things, some got pretty decorations, some received things they love disguised as things they hate just to tease them. But ksoo could only pay attention to the way Chanyeol accused everybody else but him for giving him the pick. 
"I... I was your secret santa." Kyungsoo had to admit to him eventually, looking at the way Chanyeol kept holding onto it so tightly. 

"Kyungsoo, really? Wow... I'm so happy. How did you know I needed a new one? And with this beautiful 'Happiness' written on it. It's perfect. Exactly my style." His eyes were filled with excitement and anticipation as he looked directly into Kyungsoo's. Who felt incredibly overwhelmed from Chanyeol's attention and strong energy being directly only at him alone.
"It's because you make everyone happy. Me, too." Kyungsoo explained, shynes creeping up over him after confessing such a thing. But Chanyeol didn't seem to think it was a big deal. So he pet Kyungsoo's knee gently. 
"Thank you. I love it. I'll use it well."

Then, as the last in the group, it was finally Kyungsoo's turn. Junmyeon pulled out his square shaped gift and placed the empty sack aside. Instead of Kyungsoo standing up to take his gift, Junmyeon brought it to him with a smile. 
"Hey, we know this was a secret santa... But this one is from all of us." He said calmly, before everybody turned to look at Kyungsoo tearing the wrapping apart. What was revealed in front of him was a blank white box. He was a little confused, but Junmyeon reached in and turned the box around.

it was... A phone. A smart phone of his own. Something that all of his friends together tipped in to get for him. If his heart didn't leap out of his chest before, he was convinced it would right now. He was so deeply touched, and looked at everybody's smiles in shock.

"It's probably all new for you, I could help out if you have any questions. I actually... Tampered with it a little before, set it up so it'll be easier for you to get used to." Chanyeol was the first to speak. He looked almost as excited as Kyungsoo should be looking for getting such a gift, just because he was looking forward to teaching him about it. 

Kyungsoo stared at the box for a while, he gulped the shock back down and right after, a happy wide smile had appeared. The type of smiles that turn his vision blurry because his eyes shift into happy shiny crescents of emotion. 

"Thank you, everyone." He could feel his heart's true happiness making this smile happen. He heard a few awws and Baekhyun's usual emotional sob of being touched, while Chanyeol averted his eyes away and covered the lower half of his face with his hand. His ears turning pink.

The rest of the party continued being just as fun and pleasant. They split into smaller groups of conversations, while Chanyeol sat himself down beside Kyungsoo and helped him operate his new device with patience and relaxation. Kyungsoo did his absolute best to try and focus on the things he's being taught, it was hard due to the fact that Chanyeol was sitting so close to him and leaning in even closer from time to time to help him with a task, but he got the basics that Chanyeol tried to teach, and that's good enough.

It was nearly midnight when the guests have began showing signs of tiredness. So before sombody would fall asleep, they all used the last of their powers to help Jongdae clean up everything related to the party, but keep all of the festivity of the decorations around anyway, for his family to enjoy. Shortly after, everyone left together, and split to their different directions once reaching the main street. And of course, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were paired to walk back home together since they both live in the same block.

 

 

The streets were nearly vacant except for a few couples walking together from time to time, holding hands, dressed in holiday fitting clothes. They probably returned from Christmas parties themselves. Just like Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. Except Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are nowhere near a couple. The closed shops had bright blinking lights in red and green, and the temperature felt like the earth had indeed decided that Christmas will come tonight. It was freezing, but beautiful, and peaceful. And it helped Kyungsoo battle the heat that constantly gathers in his cheeks whenever he's anywhere near Chanyeol's radius.

They walked together in silence for a while, until their path had changed from the town's center into the usual outlandish road they have to walk by to get to their block. It was just a straight road, while from both sides there was only green. No trees, no buildings, not even houses until further away in the view. So above them the starry sky was peeking behind the passing clouds in the dark. Kyungsoo could see the puffs of steam his breath released when he exhaled.

"Thank you again, for the pick." Chanyeol broke their unsuspecting silence calmly, and pulled the little pick out of his pocket, staring at it with a shiny smile before pushing it, and his palm, back in the pocket of his coat. 
"I was convinced it's from Sehun because I told him I needed a new one recently... But Baekhyun said you went shopping with him, so I'm really surprised that you knew."

Kyungsoo nodded. 
"I saw it in the music store and it made me think of how much happiness you bring me--- I mean, everyone." Kyungsoo spoke normally, but quickly retraced his words to turn it less personal, otherwise he'd lose his soul from embarrassment.

Chanyeol laughed lightly "It is perfect." Then looked at Kyungsoo with renewed energy. 
"There's something I forgot to do before. Give me your phone again for a moment?" And Kyungsoo had to search his pockets in order to find where he put it. Once he did, he placed it in Chanyeol's large hand. 

He watched how Chanyeol began tapping a few things around the screen, then suddenly raised the phone in front of him and smiled at it. A click was heard, and after examining the screen again, Chanyeol grinned and handed it back to Kyungsoo with a smile. 
"There. Now you've got me as a contact. So if there's ever anything you need, you could call me, or text me." He explained, and Kyungsoo looked at Chanyeol's contact page. 

Ah, so the picture he just took became his contact's profile picture. He looked so good... So handsome... He looked like he was glowing compared to the darkness surrounding them. But then Kyungsoo's eyes wandered over the details, and he found that Chanyeol had even given himself a name. 

"Chanyeolie." Kyungsoo read the name out loud. Not realizing Chanyeol's body jerked in surprise beside him. He even coughed out a little and averted his eyes away for a moment. This is exciting, this is really cool. Now the two of them could stay in contact even outside of school.

"Thank you!" He smiled up at Chanyeol, who nodded lightly and took his own phone out of his pocket. 
"Here, send me a message now." He encouraged Kyungsoo, who slowly and carefully tapped around the screen and opened a new chat between them. After a few moments of thought, he sent Chanyeol a single emoji of a waving hand.

Chanyeol's phone buzzed almost immediately, and he began laughing heartfully before tapping on his own screen, Kyungsoo was very curious as to what he was doing, since he couldn't have possibly taken this long for him to reply. Moments later, Kyungsoosoo's own phone vibrated in his palm. It was a message from Chanyeol, two emojis this time, an adorable looking penguin, and a red heart.

Now instead of curious, Kyungsoo was mostly confused. Staring down at the penguin's little image, all he could think about is the penguin plushie that Chanyeol decided to take as prize back from the arcade. He wondered if this message to him has anything to do with it at all, or maybe it's just a coincidence. Maybe penguins are actually Chanyeol's favourite animals.

"Smile!" Chanyeol suddenly called out, catching Kyungsoo completely off guard as he turned to look at him surprised. He was too busy thinking about the meaning of the penguin and the heart to compose himself for a smile. In front of him, Chanyeol's phone camera clicked like a shutter, and soon after, Chanyeol's laughter took over his confusion. It was a happy warm laughter. Kyungsoo loved it. Chanyeol then steped to stand a little closer, and lowered his phone's screen to show it to him. 
"Now I have a profile picture for your contact, too." He smiled with victorious satisfaction.

The picture looked pretty normal. It was just Kyungsoo's face staring directly at the camera with his big confused eyes. Quite embarrassing, but if that's what Chanyeol chose, who is he to judge. Kyungsoo's eyes ran over his own contact details in Chanyeol's phone, and he noticed that just like Chanyeol named himself 'Chanyeolie', he named Kyungsoo 'Kyungsie' with the same little penguin emoji right next to it. 

Huh...? Suddenly a rush of heat covered Kyungsoo's exposed cold cheeks. Is... Is he the penguin? At the arcade...? The message? Now the contact? His heart was beating fast just from speculating such things. And when he handed Chanyeol back his phone, he saw that Chanyeol was just smiling to himself looking all happy while staring up at the sky. Even if he's the penguin, what does that even mean...?

Kyungsoo joined the notion of looking up at the sky, because it's basically the only thing that could calm his heart back down at the moment. But he winced lightly when a tiny pinch of cold pricked his nose. 
"Ah! It's snowing!" Chanyeol sounded excited, and immediately spread both his hands sideways to try and capture some snowflakes in them. Kyungsoo could barely see any snowflakes actually falling, but maybe it's just a very light snow. It's kind of nice, though. That there's even a little bit of snow after they've just left a Christmas party. It felt... Fitting.

Before he noticed, the two of them reached the usual spot where they each take their turn. The single divergence that separates them at the end of every day, but also brings them together again when they meet in the mornings. 

"The party was lovely. I'm really happy that I was invited. And the gift... I-It's amazing." Kyungsoo spoke first, nodding at Chanyeol with gratitude. 
"It was the first time I spent a Christmas evening with friends, and not family." He admitted. "The food was delicious, and we had music, and played games... It was a whole new Christmas for me." Kyungsoo concluded and finally looked back up at Chanyeol again. He's so lucky to have such incredible friends.

Chanyeol, however, didn't quite make eye contact with Kyungsoo, instead, he stepped forward, way closer to him, with a neutral expression. Huh? Why was he coming so close? Kyungsoo blinked, stunned in his spot. Chanyeol then reached a hand forward, right towards Kyungsoo's face, and he felt like he's about to drop. But instead, it landed on top of Kyungsoo's head.
Chanyeol's fingers lightly ruffled through his hair a few times, before looking down into his eyes at last. He lingered like this for a while. Not moving, not pulling away, Kyungsoo could tell that something was going through his head because his expression seemed unexpectedly serious, almost like he's getting heated. If he was to look at them from the side, he would have probablt seen sparks flying in the air around them.

"You were covered in snow." Chanyeol said instead, calmly, then stepped back with a growing smile but averted eyes, leaving Kyungsoo and his heart to burst. 
"Merry Christmas, Kyungsoo." His voice was warm and gentle.

He then turned around, slid his hands into his pockets, and began walking away. Kyungsoo was still pretty shaken from the sudden closeness between them, but as he watched Chanyeol leave, he could see that his ears were very noticeably burning in pink. What... Was this? He knows Chanyeol was just being kind enough to clean the snow from his hair, but it almost felt like there was something more that he wanted to do?

Kyungsoo wished he was a little more like Chanyeol himself. Because he's amazing, and everything good he could think of. Chanyeol too, had a little bit of snow on his hair. He would have it off if he was even a little bit more like Chanyeol.

By the time he made it back home the snow had stopped entirely. However, when he took off his coat, something fell out of the pocket that was created from the hood being pulled backwards like he wore it. He hung the coat in the rack, then picked up the item. It was a small, yet slightly bigger than a keychain sized... Mistletoe? When did it get there? The mistletoe at Jongdae's place looked completely different. The only thing that's been near his head all day was Chanyeol's hand just a few minutes ago when he cleaned the snow off.

After telling his parents all about the wonderful party and having his heart melt yet again when he explained how he got his new phone device, his parents told him that they're very happy, and that they already knew. Because Jongdae called and spoke with them to know if it's okay to give him such a gift. Kyungsoo felt so, so loved. 

He was finally in bed, staring at the emoji chat he had with Chanyeol and still wondering whether or not a penguin has anything to do with him. All of a sudden, he saw a bubble appearing at the botom of the chat. 

[ 'Chanyeolie' is now typing... ] 

Oh--- Uh oh--- Could he somehow see that Kyungsoo was there? He began panicking, but the the bubble disappeared a little while later. Huh... Kyungsoo nearly had a heart attack over nothing. He sighed lightly and shut the phone and placed it away as he slowly fells asleep with the giraffe plushie protecting him by his side.

He might have gotten a whole smartphone device as a Christmas present... And although it was cheesy to admit, Kyungsoo felt that the real gift was the fact that he got to spend such a wonderful, warm, and pleasant time with the group of people that turned his life into a bright, lively and eventful adventure. It was, most definitely, Kyungsoo's favourite Christmas.