Chapter 12

Doshio

 

School life continues on. 
A little longer and Christmas would come to greet them. At school, everything has been going on like usual, except the weather is getting even colder, and Kyungsoo keeps getting emotional heart attacks everytime he sees Chanyeol come into class wearing the scarf he had given him for his birthday. The little giraffe embroidment peeking from under the folds everytime. It looks good on him. So good, and so cute. And Kyungsoo was so grateful that his gift could be of use for him. Because really, that's all he wanted. 

He was so glad that even though he struggled, Chanyeol found his gift meaningful and proper to wear in front of everyone. Nobody but the two of them knew just how important this scarf is, but... That only made Kyungsoo's heart beat faster whenever he saw him wear it.

On the other hand, however, Kyungsoo couldn't help but keep dwelling in the troubled feelings he has towards Baekhyun and the situation with their friend from the past. Kyungsoo cannot do anything, while Baekhyun has always done so much for him. He barely knows anything about it... Not that it's his place to pry, he's just a new little addition to their already existing group of friends. Even if he tried he wouldn't reach each of the others' level of importance. But he sure is curious about it anyway. Because the more he will know, the better he will be able to behave around Baekhyun and avoid possibly bringing anything negative up. Like the time he asked about the person Baekhyun liked... He felt so guilty.

If only he was more like Chanyeol, then maybe he would have been able to properly cheer Baekhyun up instead of feeling so useless about it all.

Kyungsoo was very glad that inside the school's building the temperature was warm and pleasant. Because the cold really started getting to him on the way there. Right after he entered the lockers' area, he noticed Jongdae coming behind him. 
"Good morning." He greeted quietly. 
"Morning." Jongdae replied, less cheerful than the usual. The two of them know exactly why. He looked tired, like he had trouble sleeping at night.

Shortly after Jongdae, Jongin entered, waved at Kyungsoo from afar to greet him, then entered a different isle of lockers, avoiding being seen by Jongdae. 
"Do you think Baekhyun has caught up to what's going on?" Kyungsoo asked Jongdae quietly, waiting for him to take out his books from the locker. 
"I wonder... All I know is that Minseok is having a hard time because of it all." Kyungsoo looked down with subtle sadness. 
"It's because we love him, both our friend, and Baekhyun. Minseok keeps saying how they were so---... They were so good." Jongdae huffed. Kyungsoo could tell that there are many memories shared between them from the emotion in his voice.

"You don't know much about him... Do you?" Jongdae asked as they started making their way to class. 
"No. He's an old friend of all of you... Right?" 
"Say... He will be out seeing a possible new place for himself today. Would you want to come to Minseok's place? We could tell you more about him. I can tell it's bothering you." Jongdae suggested, and Kyungsoo was touched by the sentiment. He's so lucky to have such a mindful wonderful friend that cares so much about him and notices when things burden him.

"We can invite Junmyeon too, and Sehun, if you'd like. It's just... Better if he isn't there when we mention Baekhyun." Jongdae explained with a dreaded expression, and Kyungsoo agreed that indeed, this would be the best way for the meeting to go on without having either of the sides be involved. 
"Thank you. I would really appreciate it. I want to be able to help in this situation, too." Kyungsoo nodded, feeling slightly encouraged from being invited to take a part of this ordeal.

"What is this? What are you two doing?" Chanyeol came from behind the two of them in the hallway. Looking slightly worried due to their unexpectedly gloomy energy at the moment.
"Haa... I don't even know. Talking about how useless and powerless we are...?" Jongdae answered with a huff, his voice was deep, but he sounded whiny at the same time. So somehow, it kind of helped. 
"Oh. I assume it's about Baekhyun." Chanyeol sighed lightly. Still looking dashing with the red giraffe scarf around his neck.

The three of them headed over to one of the less populated hallways on the first floor to continue talking. Jongdae led them there, in fear that if Baekhyun suddenly showed up near them it could make matters worse.

"...--- And he acted like he's so tough afterwards. But I think he might have heard or seen something." Jongdae sighed, after speaking for a while about the way Baekhyun was behaving about it for the past year as a whole. 
"I also---..." Kyungsoo mumbled, both Chanyeol and Jongdae turned to look at him. "When I woke up the next morning, he was already in the kitchen... I'm pretty sure he hasn't slept that night at all... Do you think he really knows something?" Kyungsoo spoke worriedly. Jongdae ran a hand through his hair in distress.

"Oh... So that's why you two are so slumped. I felt pretty bad about it too. I hate hiding things from people... We should put an end to this somehow." Chanyeol spoke, crossing his arms, he began thinking. 
"Accidental meetup...?" He then asked doubtedly a few moments later. 
"Huh? You think this is some kind of drama on TV?" Jongdae shot him a pout. But then they entered a long silence in which neither of the three were able to think of any other possible way to end this suffering other than a physical confrontation between the two in order to talk it out and get to a solution.

They are all so worried about Baekhyun and how he will take the whole thing. And yet, they cannot really do anything. It isn't especially hard to understand what Baekhyun feels when one as just as looks at him and the way he behaves. But it'll start getting worse if he'll continue trying to act tough. None of them are even sure whether or not Baekhyun knows their friend is back. Most likely not, but he knows that something is happening. And that his friends are hiding it from him. It's so unfair.

"They have to meet. They have to see each other and talk about it." Chanyeol said again, this time, with more confidence. 
"Seriously?" Jongdae huffed back at him. "It isn't that simple." 
"No, I don't mean it like this." Chanyeol thought for a few moments. 
"Baekhyun has both you and Kyungsoo to support him. Of course, me, Sehun... Junmyeon, Minseok as well. But you two are his little safe space. And I know that whatever the outcome of it will be, you two could help him get through it." He began explaining, sounding calm and reasonable. 

Kyungsoo was in awe, but focused hard so he could continue listening carefully. 
"There is no avoiding it. Lying to him just won't do... It's better if he gets hurt now, and is able to get better thanks to everyone, than if we keep this hidden. Knowing that we lied to him will only hurt him a whole lot more in the future." Chanyeol's voice was calm and smooth. He was looking over at the hall as he spoke, and there was depth in his expression that Kyungsoo hasn't seen before.

The words he said, the way he said them. Chanyeol really knows so much about these sensitive issues of interacting with people, and friends. His intentions are always good, and he knows what he's saying. Kyungsoo wondered if he had been able to gain such depth due to something he had experienced himself, or maybe he is just able to understand how people feel well enough to create a solution to prevent further pain. Either way, Chanyeol definitely is amazing. Kyungsoo has little to no experience when it comes to understand how other people feel and think in social situations. While Chanyeol is always surrounded by people, so he must really know what he's talking about.

"I know at least, that just knowing that there are people around me who care and worry about me, people I can trust, I would already have known that I could face anything. Because they'd have my back." Chanyeol spoke again, sincere and gentle, there was hope in his voice now. 
"We should be his back bone now, right? He knows he can trust us. So let's not ruin it with lies... Let's just be there for him through it." Both Jongdae and Kyungsoo looked at Chanyeol quietly for a long time. Kyungsoo felt his heart beating a little faster. Chanyeol is really... Such a good person.

This whole time Kyungsoo kept wondering what Chanyeol would have done to cheer Baekhyun up in this situation... But he learned that Chanyeol is wise enough and strong enough to hold onto his truth, and provide comfort through genuine honesty. Sometimes, not actually doing anything to solve a problem, but letting it happen, is exactly the way to solve it. 

When a window is cracked, in order to fix it, one has to break it apart and place in a new piece of glass instead.

Maybe this is what the solution of this situation will be. Maybe in order to fix it, they first have to let it break. Kyungsoo would have never thought about such a thing. He'd stress out and panic about trying to keep Baekhyun safe from all pain. But... Sometimes the truth is painful. And to end the pain, one has to hurt, first.

Another side of Chanyeol had just been opened up in front of him. And Kyungsoo felt like his heart keeps dipping deeper and deeper into these feelings of love, with every new thing he learns about him. Chanyeol will never cease to surprise him. He always learns something new about him, and from him. No matter in what state, Chanyeol always has so much to give.

"So... About that accidental meetup..." Jongdae finally spoke after a period of silence. But the bell began ringing, and the three of them jumped in surprise before rushing to class as if any of this conversation hadn't happened. But it did happen. And now they have some sort of light in the end of the tunnel. Kyungsoo watched how Chanyeol sat down beside him and took his scarf off, folding it carefully and sliding it yet again into his blazer's inner pocket. Chanyeol is just so wonderful.
They'll be able to reach a solution, and regardless of what the end of this will be, Kyungsoo, Jongdae, and everyone else will all be there for Baekhyun. Until then, Kyungsoo will have to be strong. Baekhyun is going to be the one suffering more than all of them. He's going to need to be there for him and fulfill his duty, as a friend. A real friend.

 

 


As the day ended, Jongdae and Kyungsoo headed over to Minseok's place together. Junmyeon was already there too. Kyungsoo noticed that there are new objects around the house as well. There are some more traditional looking decorations on the walls, the table with the duct taped leg now looked almost brand new, too. There's an empty suitcase in the hallway with a little sheep keychain connected to it. 

The four of them settled down around the table in the living room with some more tea and cookies like his last visit.

"Alright. Let's begin. A little history lesson about our friend from the past, Zhang Yixing." Junmyeon said, placing his palm on the table. 
"It all began when I became a junior in highschool. You guys were still in middle school at that time. Yixing was my classmate. Minseok was then a sophomore, one year above us." He began.
"I had already known you by then, Kyungsoo, since we went to the same middle school the years prior. And Yixing... He knew Chanyeol, and Baekhyun." Kyungsoo paid his utmost attention to the explanation to come.

"Actually, you might also recognize his face. Even though I doubt it, since he was in my grade of classes. And you weren't really... Involved with any other students back then." Junmyeon admitted a little apologetically, rubbing the back of his head. 
"Anyway, Yixing was supposed to start senior year with me, but then, he vanished." His expression looked more serious again.

"You could call it vanish, but he actually just had urgent matters to attend to back in China." Minseok then spoke. 
"He never told us what it is... Not in the letters he sent Junmyeon and me, and not even now that he's back." He sighed lightly. 
"But I know he wouldn't do such a thing without a reason." Jongdae nodded at Minseok's words.

"So far, this shouldn't be such a big issue... But... Things are more complicated. Because Yixing and Baekhyun... Ever since middle school... They were really close friends." Junmyeon looked down at the table now as he spoke. 
"I still remember, when we were new friends in junior year of highschool, Yixing kept talking to me excitedly about Baekhyun, who was still only a middle school sophomore at the time. He adored him. Yixing wouldn't do anything if it wasn't with Baekhyun. That's how I got to meet him too." 
"Even I remember that." Minseok added with a nod, to confirm.

"During our first highschool summer break before our sophomore year began, Baekhyun asked Yixing out. They dated through the summer, and were going steady through Yixing's second year of highschool." Junmyeon continued further. But then his energy suddenly turned gloomy as well and he stayed silent. 

Minseok spoke instead. 
"Then, after I graduated, when Junmyeon and Yixing were supposed to become seniors and Baekhyun was supposed to enter highschool, Yixing hasn't showed up. Not to the entrance ceremony, not a week, not a month later. He hasn't answered any of our means to communicate with him. He just disappeared." Kyungsoo could feel the pain contained in the look of everybody's eyes.

He tried to remember how Baekhyun behaved at the time, at the beginning of highschool. He couldn't exactly recall any special signs of behaviour that he had shown. But then again, he only spoke with Baekhyun for the first time mere days before their junior year ended. And now they're just in the middle of their second year, and Baekhyun was always fine. Except for the random distant looks he has in his eyes from time to time.

So his assumptions were correct. The way Baekhyun was looking, like he's longing for somethin that's missing... The way he reacted and answered to Kyungsoo's question about a person he likes... All of these were about Zhang Yixing. Their friend from the past. Kyungsoo feels confused, sad, uncertain about it all. This is such a strange situation that nobody could have expected.

"Thank you, for telling me all this." He bowed to both Minseok and Junmyeon with gratitude. But everyone seemed to be deeply troubled. Just like himself, everyone else who's involved with either of the sides must be worried and sad. Fearing for things to get worse.

But Kyungsoo then remembered Chanyeol's deep words about the solution to solving the problem. If they won't let it break, it will never have the chance to heal. 
"Do you know where he's looking for a new place?" Jongdae then asked. It seems that both him and Kyungsoo were thinking about the same thing. Minseok shrugged helplessly. 
"No idea. But it couldn't possibly be that far, he told me it's only about a thirty minutes walk away from here."
"Alright... That's good." Jongdae nodded to himself, gaining suspicious looks from both Minseok and Junmyeon.

"We... Might have a plan." Kyungsoo explained. Seeing the surprise on their faces, feeling the hope that suddenly filled the air as Jongdae and him began explaining about the plan they had discussed with Chanyeol at school, Kyungsoo felt like things really are about to get serious. Whether or not this plan will succeed depends only on Yixing and Baekhyun themselves. All the rest of them can do is be prepared to accept the resolution of whatever will happen between them. 

They'll make them meet. They'll make them talk and confront each other and have the chance to solve it within themselves. That is the goal of the plan.

Steps were still missing in the actual step by step operation side of it, but as a whole, it looked like they were in for it. Which was perfect, exactly what Jongdae and Kyungsoo hoped to achieve but presenting them with the plan. It's a shame Chanyeol wasn't there as well, to explain the importance of this plan's goal. Kyungsoo found his heart still racing whenever he remembered the way he spoke about it.

Though time ran out quickly, and Kyungsoo was about to be sent back home. Already with his shoes on at the door, he thanked his friends truthfully for giving him the opportunity to be a part of this, and just as he'd turned around to open the door, it was unlocked from the other side, and opened shortly after.

A man slightly taller than them all stood at the door surprised. He was dressed casually, and held a business bag under his arm with a sheep keychain matching the one on the suitcase Kyungsoo saw in the hallway. He was quite handsome, too. 

"Ahh, hello. It's a pleasure to meet you." The man quickly proceeded with manners. 
"My name is Zhang Yixing. I'm Minseok's current roommate for a few more days." He introduced himself with a deep bow and smiled at Kyungsoo warmly. His voice was soft and warm. He was so gentle and proper. Quite the opposite of what he'd imagine to be reckless noisy Baekhyun's partner. 
"A-Ah--- Nice to meet you. I'm Do Kyungsoo. I'm Ba--- Jongdae's classmate." Kyungsoo bowed back, nearly losing his soul when he realized the name he was about to mention before stopping himself.

"Wow! So you're Kyungsoo! The one who saved Tannie from getting soaked in the rain. Minseok told me about you." He grinned, his smile looked like a thousand flowers blooming altogether. Kyungsoo could very much understand why such a person would be someone that's impossible to stop liking. Everything about him is great. 
"I see you were just about to leave. That's a shame. I hope I'll get to see you again soon." Yixing calmly stepped aside and allowed Kyungsoo to step out first, before entering the house himself.
"See you tomorrow Kyungsoo!" Jongdae called out to him and waved. And ksoo now really felt like he understood everything a whole lot better.

In the next few days, Kyungsoo felt like he was walking on egg shells. One wrong move, one little sway in his balance, and he'd end up falling and crashing them all. Was it better when he didn't know the depth of Baekhyun's pain? Or is it better now when he's able to be careful and not even accidentally mention anything that'll remind him of Yixing?

Even more oddly, Baekhyun was having what's called 'A blast from the past' where he started talking more and more about his past, and random memories from years back. Jongdae and Kyungsoo went along, of course. Kyungsoo shared how back in elementary school the nickname 'Doshio' began spreading. Jongdae shared how he once accidentally ate a piece of raw chicken. And Baekhyun talked about the choir in middle school.

One thing he said alarmed both Jongdae and Kyungsoo, though. At one point, Baekhyun mentioned how he really wants to let all of his memories go so he could start anew, but at the same time he wants to treasure them all,  and go back in time just to change and fix them. He must know that something is about to happen... But not Jongdae nor Kyungsoo got dicouraged, and together with Chanyeol, they came up with the person plan.

The timing couldn't have been better, either, because they heard from Minseok that Yixing had found himself a new little apartment to rent on his own, only a short distance away from where Minseok lives. And that Yixing is going to move there in a week. So that's how long they have.

 

 

They deciced to call it 'Operation Morons'.

The goal of this operation is simple - get Baekhyun and Yixing to meet.

What's less simple is the 'how'. Not because it isn't easy to just call each of them separately and ask them to meet in a certain place. But because everyone involved in this operation are very much afraid of Baekhyun possibly hurting because of it.

Surprisingly, it was actually the younger ones who were bold enough to come up with such a plan, that in one way or another would definitely result in somebody getting hurt. But more specifically, it was because of Chanyeol. Thanks to his words back at school that day, both Jongdae and Kyungsoo could proceed with the planning of this operation stress free.

To plan it out, Minseok, Junmyeon, Jongdae, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Sehun all gathered in Jongdae's place. It's the most secure spot where there was no doubt Baekhyun wouldn't show up uninvited. Jongin was also there, but didn't do more than pass by the living room with different drinks and snacks to bring to his room.

Since there are two people at the goal of this mission, they had to split every step of the mission into two. Yixing's side, and Baekhyun's side. Both of them must not know that they are about to meet one another.

Step one - Take them out. 
Yixing, somwhere that will prompt thinking about Baekhyun, so that his mind will start preparing. 
Baekhyun, somewhere that will keep him cheerful and thoughts free.

Step two - Provide encouragements. 
Yixing, attempt to convince him that saying the truth and being honest about his feelings and thoughts is the best way to go. 
Baekhyun, give him proof that no matter what, he could trust his friends and allow himself to freely express what he's going through with them, regardless of whether its good or bad.

Step three - Preparation for the meetup. 
Yixing, make sure he's well hydrated and has his mind focused. 
Baekhyun, full belly equals happy Baekhyun.

Step four - Encounter. 
For them both, they have to make sure the two of them notice each other at the same time, in a space that's open enough to not make them feel caged, but closed enough to provide privacy.

These will be the main steps of their plan to make two worlds collide and hopefully, not create a bigger blacker hole inbetween them. Of course these are just the general outlines of the plan, but as they've sat down and discussed everything, they've come up with even the tiniest of details to make sure it goes smoothly. To each part they have a plan B in case something goes off trail, as well.

The date of the operation's proceeding: Today. 
The last day Yixing will be spending in Minseok's apartment before moving out to his new place the next morning. It would have been better if they could do it sooner, but it took a while to plan, and that was the only day available for all parties to participate. 

And so, it began.

 

 

The night before the operation, Kyungsoo could barely sleep. He was worried about it failing, about giving it away accidentaly as the plan is still not over, about still being too much of an outsider to come of any use at any point. But he managed to still wake up on time and behave like normal at school to not raise any suspicion. They have already decided with Baekhyun ahead of time that they'll be meeting him out that afternoon, so once back home, all Kyungsoo had to do was change his outfit and go out again an hour later to meet up with his group of operation.

Along with him, Chanyeol and Sehun were also assigned to be with Baekhyun. While Minseok, Junmyeon and Jongdae would spend the time with Yixing. It makes a lot of sense, since they all know him a lot better and could guide his mind properly. While Chanyeol and Sehun with Baekhyun, are already a recipe for goof and happiness. Sehun was to be their spokesman and communication person with the other group via Junmyeon, in case anything pops up.

They all gathered outside of Baekhyun and Sehun's houses, and headed over to town, straight into the arcade. While at the same time, Yixing's group were supposed to take him to visit highschool again, just for nostalgia. Being in the arcade with the trio of big children felt to Kyungsoo like he's gone to do babysitting on some elementary school kids. They forgot about the world and lost themselves in the competetiveness of the colorful noisy games around.

"Hey Kyungsoo, join us for this one, it has exactly four players!" Chanyeol called out to him at one point, smiling and winking lightly to encourage him. Maybe he looked stressed or something, which is why Chanyeol asked him to join them, or maybe it's just because he thought it'd be fun, but either way Kyungsoo was happy and grateful to take a part of it as well. 

It was a game placed in a strange dome covered puck field, where each of the four players is supposed to try and score into anyone else's goal. Honestly, he was sure he'd lose, but somehow Kyungsoo came up on top of the winners board in first place. Receiving quite the applause he was not expecting to get from three hyper kids who pretty much believe game is life.

He didn't need to say it out loud, but it was fun. It was actually so much fun that he had also very quickly lost himself in the world of games. It was his first time participating in an activity in an arcade. He had been to one before, but never with friends who actually wanted him to play with them. So it was a whole lot more exciting. Plus, the fact that he got to see another side of Chanyeol that he hasn't really gotten exposed to before, is always nice. His childish playful side is just as charming and adorable as the rest. Even when he pouts sourly about losing from time to time.

After a little more than an hour in the arcade, Sehun stood beside Kyungsoo and nudged his side lightly while the other two were busy in a combat video game. He showed his phone's screen to Kyungsoo. It was a message from Junmyeon saying that they're about to leave the school and reach their second destination for the day. Kyungsoo had almost forgotten about the plan for a while there, having so much fun with his friends made his own worries disappear.

"Ughh! That was so close! You gotta give it to me!" Chanyeol huffed out and pouted at Baekhyun after losing the third and final round. Baekhyun laughed in an exteremely satisfactory manner with hands on his hips. 
"You still lost though!" He teased back, before turning and grinning at Kyungsoo victoriously.

"Don't worry, you'll have next time." Sehun calmly pet Chanyeol's fallen sulking shoulders.
"Look at how many coupons we've gathered!" Baekhyun called out, pulling an extremely long and twisted snake of arcade coupons attached to one another like a rope. 
"How do you use them?" Kyungsoo asked curiously, the four of them slowly headed towards a small station with a worker behind the counter at the corner of the arcade. 
"You can use them to exchange for random things right here." Baekhyun explained before slamming his impossibly large amount of coupons on the station's counter, grinning at the terrified looking worker.

"Any of you want something? Since this was gathered by all of us, we should probably share it." He said while in deep thought as he examined the display of possible prizes on the wall.

"This one." Sehun was the first to claim his prize, pointing directly at a very adorable looking plush doll of a bunny. Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun began laughing softly. 
"Really? This one?" 
"Yes. It reminds me of Junmyeon." Sehun replied with shy determination. Which shut the other two up into a river of 'Awws' instead. Kyungsoo felt his heart fill with warmth. That was... Really adorable. Sehun is so cute. It must have made Sehun extremely happy to receive that plush and make it sit in the pocket of his jeans, even if his expression remained neutral.

Kyungsoo then noticed Chanyeol was looking at him for quite a while, almost as if examining his appearance for some reason. Huh? Does he have anything on his face? 
"I'll take this one." Chanyeol then called out to the worker at the station, pointing at a similar plush to the one Sehun picked, except of a little penguin and not a bunny. 
"Really? You too? Why?" Baekhyun asked in confusion, Kyungsoo also was incredibly curious to know the answer. 

When pcy got a hold of his little penguin plush, he turned to look at Kyungsoo again, but then averted his eyes while placing it in his bag. 
"It reminds me of... Someone, too." Whoa... Kyungsoo couldn't help but wonder who would have the honors of being so important to Chanyeol that he was thinking about them when seeing this adorable penguin. He wasn't sure, because of the dim colorful lights of the arcade, but he thought he saw Chanyeol's ears turn a little pink.

"Fine, I'll take that one then!" Baekhyun exclaimed with a pout, receiving a small plush of a soft looking sleepy sheep. Nobody questioned him. It seems that today all of them threw their interest in cool mechanical gadgets aside for the sake of the little adorable animals. Kyungsoo could get behind that. 
"What about you Kyungsoo? We have enough for another thing or two." Baekhyun pulled him a little closer to the counter so he could see the collection of prizes better.

What should he get...? There isn't anything he needs in particular that could be found here. Maybe along with the lines of having each of them purchase a plush, he'd do the same. They'll all be matching that way. Kyungsoo focused on the section of little animals on the wall, and was surprised to find the animal that caught his interest there. 
"C-Could I please have the giraffe?" He asked before his mind allowed him to think of anything else. Ahh, this is very embarrassing. If he gave Chanyeol a scarf with the embroidment of a giraffe, wouldn't it provide a clue as to why he decided to get the giraffe plush now? But it was too late to change his mind anyway, because it was already placed in his hands.

"Perfect! We got to use all of the tickets!" Baekhyun smiled as they began making their way back outside. They all had to squint a little when leaving the arcade's darkness back outdoors to the setting sun. Luckily, it seems Chanyeol hadn't really thought anything about the plush Kyungsoo had chosen to take in exchange for the coupons. That's their own little thing. The giraffe on Chanyeol's scarf, now the giraffe that's going to be resting on Kyungsoo's bed in his room. Though he still couldn't stop thinking about who the person representing a penguin could be.

"Let's get something to eat, I'm hungry." Sehun said as they've walked a bit through the town's main business street. 
"Right, I feel like getting some noodles..." Baekhyun hummed, looking like he's about to drool just from the thought. 
"Aren't you a little too obsessed with noodles lately?" Chanyeol asked him teasingly. It isn't wrong though, he's been going to Sehun's family noodle place a lot. 
"How about you keep your eyes on your own plate." Baekhyun bit back with a pout, and the two began bantering lightly. Sehun meanwhile, without saying a word, managed to lead them into one of the little side streets. One end opens up to the main street, and the other end turn into a path that goes to the town's park. The one their class had their summer fear trials at the end of last year.

"Ohh, this place looks nice. It has all sorts of food." Kyungsoo said out loud after getting Sehun's glance to confirm that this is indeed the place they were supposed to go into for the plan. Right, 'Operation Morons'. Kyungsoo hoped he wouldn't forget that all of this is a part of it again. He's having so much fun just spending time with everyone that it just slips out of his mind from time to time. Good thing Sehun was there to remind him.

Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol stopped their bickering when they heard Kyungsoo, and after scanning the place's menu next to the door with their eyes, they both agreed to go for it, and stepped inside. 

The restaurant was small and homey, and since it's located right in the corner of the little street, a part of its big window was turned towards the main street. They got to sit right next to it, too. Sehun by the window, Baekhyun beside him, then Kyungsoo by the window, and Chanyeol beside him. That way Kyungsoo was facing Sehun, and Chanyeol was facing Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo felt his heart racing a little when he realize Chanyeol decided to sit right next to him. It reminded him of the day he moved to sit beside him in class, except now it was way closer, way more intimate. Kyungsoo could feel Chanyeol's body heat, he could smell the scent of his perfume and clean clothes, he could feel the way the outside of their thighs lightly grazed against one another under the table from time to time.

Just like always, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were providing them all with more new conversation topics. Kyungsoo couldn't make full eye contact with Chanyeol beside him. The most he could do was glance at him from time to time just to admire the view of his existence, then shyly turn away moments later.

But while they all set their orders to the nice waitress and waited for their food, Kyungsoo started worrying about the plan. They've had such a wonderful day together, Baekhyun looked so happy and cheerful, do they really have to possibly ruin it all once the final step of the plan comes into existence? This isn't about what Kyungsoo himself is feeling. It's because Baekhyun just seems to be so good right now, and he starts regretting wanting it to change to anything else at all. Baekhyun deserves all the happiness, who are they to take it from him with their plan?

The food arrived, the skies turned darker quickly once the sun was no longer in the horizon, and somehow, Sehun and Baekhyun got into a conversation about games between themselves.
"Hey, Kyungsoo." he heard pcy call him quietly over the Background music in the place. 
"It's fine. Don't stress about it." He said, making eye contact with Kyungsoo and nodding at him reassuringly. 
"We're all here for him. Remember?" Chanyeol smiled, his dimple showing its presence, making Kyungsoo's heart both speed up but also calm down.
Really, how can one smile turn Kyungsoo's entire world upsidedown like this? He nodded lightly, then watched in surprise as Chanyeol stole a bite off of his plate and grinned playfully.

Chanyeol's really been working hard today. While ksoo had fun he kept forgetting that 'Operation Morons' was going on at all, but Chanyeol seems to have been aware of it all this time, and he was still able to act as if nothing was happening. He's amazing. Kyungsoo will trust his words. He would trust Chanyeol with anything, really. So he exhaled slowly and let himself regain his relaxation.

It didn't last for too long, however, because Kyungsoo noticed that there was a bunch of young adults who started gathering right in the middle of the little side street. Uh oh. That's not good. The plan depends on the fact that this side street is normally entirely empty. How is the plan supposed to continue on if there's a bunch of people around? Baekhyun and Yixing will never be able to talk honestly if they don't have the privacy to do so. It seems he wasn't the only one who noticed it, because Sehun also followed the gathering of the people with his eyes through the restaurant's windows.

They probably don't have a long time until the other half of the operation arrives to the right position. Really, they've thought about a second option for every part of the plan, except the last. The fact that the street would be empty was supposed to be the single unchanging aspect of this operation. And now they're pretty much doomed. They should bail. They should drop it, and do it again on another time. It wouldn't work.

 

 

"I'll be back in a moment, promised I'd call Junmyeon." Sehun suddenly said, breaking Kyungsoo's internal little panic session. 
"Ooh~ So reliable." Baekhyun teased as Sehun stood up and left their table, stepping outside the restaurant and really calling Junmyeon. Kyungsoo could see it through the window. They're going to cancel it all, right? Even if Yixing's group arrives from the park, this group of people would not allow the plan to take place. Baekhyun and Chanyeol meanwhile commenced in their conversation, and Kyungsoo remained staring out the window.

Is that...? Kyungsoo noticed someone familiar walking by. As the figure got closer to their spot, he realized the person walking was no other than Jongin. Surprisingly, it seemed that Jongin recognized him from the window, and when he noticed Sehun standing outside on his phone, and the group of people in the street, he paused and looked for a while. Ah... Maybe they should have told him about the plan. He would have known what to do.

Then, the unexpected happened, Kyungsoo couldn't believe his eyes, but Jongin just walked straight towards the group of intimidating looking people, grabbed the bag of one of them, hit their head, and began sprinting away back towards the main street. Less than a second later, the entire gang started running after him and shouting loudly. It made such a commotion that even Baekhyun and Chanyeol had to turn around and look. 
"Was that... Jongin?" Chanyeol asked in confusion. How... How did he know? Could it be that he somehow still heard them create the plan? There's no way he would do such a thing on accident.

It seems that Sehun was also quite shocked from Jongin's initiative, he finished the call with Junmyeon shortly after, and when he got back inside, he gave Kyungsoo and Chanyeol both a small nod behind Baekhyun's back. So the operation is still in tact. All thanks to Jongin's sacrifice. Kyungsoo really hoped that he's safe. That group of people didn't look especially sympathetic. He'll have to tell Jongdae about his brother's brave assistance.

The four of them finished their food and wrapped up the meal cheerfully, splitting the pay between them equally until Chanyeol won the debate and was able to leave the tip out of his own funds alone. Kyungsoo's heart was starting to race from the stress. 
As they will step outside of this restaurant, the final and most crucial part will begin. And he's scared. He's scared that they would hurt Baekhyun by tricking him into this plan. He's scared the Baekhyun would be hurt from whatever will happen when he'll be met with Yixing... He's just scared. 

But as they made their first steps outide the place, Chanyeol's arm landed on his shoulder. It was warm, and thick, and comfortable around his shoulders. Chanyeol was also bracing himself for what's to come. His expression is focused and serious. Sehun too, had extra sharpness added to his face when they heard their friends' familiar voices approach from the park's side of the little street.

Kyungsoo could hear his heart beating in his ears. He's so scared. He's so worried. They made this happen. They will have to take responsibility for the consequences. 

 

 

It felt like everything was going in slowmotion, when Baekhyun turned his head and caught the image of Yixing in his sight. Both groups froze in their spots. The two main characters of this operation also, were standing in shock. Kyungsoo couldn't see Baekhyun's face, but from Yixing's display of chaos flowing through his mind, he could tell Baekhyun's face was probably not in his favour.

These were only a few seconds, but it felt like hours of silence until Yixing stepped forward.
"Baekhyun...?" Kyungsoo could see Baekhyun's body tense in an instant, before he began striding in Yixing's direction. Large stomps on the ground, combined with tightly clenched fists. He made it to Yixing's spot quickly, and grabbed him by the collar, only to throw him backwards hard and harsh. 

Everybody stood there stunned. It was almost like a volcano had just erupted in the middle of the street, a volcano named Baekhyun. Luckily, Yixing didn't fall down, and managed to balance himself on his feet. 

"W-Wait... I know---"
"What. The. . What the are you doing here?! Huh?!" Baekhyun's voice was hoarse, his body was not prepared to raise the volume so much, and he was clearly stretching his voice cords painfully to speak like that. 
"How ing dare you come here and show your face like this?!" In the cold of the early dark evening, it looked like Baekhyun's body and breath were steaming with heat and anger. Compared to that, Yixing just stood there quietly, and looked at him with fearful silence.

"You thought you could come back and become friends with everyone again after what you've done? You think you would be instantly forgiven just because of your pretty ing face and your stupid innocence?!" Kyungsoo was still scared. Minseok, Junmyeon and Jongdae already stepped back. Everyone were watching them in silence, every breath they took could be heard in the crisp chill. 
"You've been gone for a whole damn year?! What the hell?! You just vanished!! Poof!" Baekhyun angrily gestured a motion of explosion with his hands before clenching his fists again.
"If you thought for a second that everything would just freeze and wait for your return exactly the way it was, then you're wrong. Very, very wrong."

Chanyeol's arm tightened over Kyungsoo's shoulder, and when he looked up, he could see how concerned Chanyeol looked. He must be scared, too. 
"You left us, Yixing. You left ME. And it hurt! I was so scared?! One day we were laughing together, having the time of our lives, and the very next, you were gone. You know how much that hurts? You know how afraid I was, that it was something I did? Something I said? Maybe even something I didn't do." Baekhyun's voice was filled with just as much anger, but Kyungsoo could see the tears that began running down his cheeks shimmer under the street light.

"You're a selfish prick, and for a whole year I tried so hard to convince myself that it wasn't my fault. You could have done something. Anything. To let me know what was going on. Even if it was a ty letter sent in the mail, I'd take it. If only you just told me." He huffed, his body now shaking, and Yixing in front of him stood there and took everything. His expression was serious, and pained, but he absorbed it all from Baekhyun anyway.

"If you wanted this to end, there were better ways than to leave unnnounced for a whole ing year." He huffed. 
"Fine, you're right, " Baekhyun ran a hand through his hair and turned to stand sideways. "I would have probably given you hell because I wouldn't have wanted to let you go. To let us, what he had, end." He admitted, sniffing through his overflowing tears.

"But it's ing infuriating. I'm so damn angry right now! I feel like I want to just, punch you the off this planet." He gritted his teeth and stepped closer to Yixing again, grabbing onto his collar tightly and staring at him shakingly. Kyungsoo already imagined how his arm will extend and blow right into Yixing's face.

But unexpectedly, Baekhyun just exhaled a trembling breath before letting go of the collar and stepping back again. 
"How the did you manage to disappear like that... Nobody knew anything." Yixing didn't even move to fix his own collar. Slowly, Baekhyun's levels of anger have lowered. The volcano eruption had now turned into a calm flow of lava. 
"Aren't you gointg to say anything?" His voice sounded hoarse, and tired. Tears kept dripping down his cheeks.

"My...---" Yixing said, his voice swallowed into his mouth, so he cleared his throat and began again. "My grandparents... You remember I told you about them... Right?" he asked cautiously, getting no answer from Baekhyun. 
"Near the end of my highschool sophomore year, they started sending me letters of their health slowly deteriorating. The final letter came at the last day we spent together."

Yixing spoke out of humility and carefulness. 
"In it, my grandmother explained that my grandfather's condition has come to a scary dire state. She pleaded me to return and help, my own grandmother, had to beg---..." There was a lump in his throat. This is the story nobody has heard before. This is the whole truth behind Yixing's disappearance. He exhaled slowly for a moment before looking at Baekhyun again.

"It was too urgent to debate. In my rush I had barely packed any of my belongings. I didn't have the time to prepare a phone service to contact you, there was no internet either." Yixing explained, sounding upset, but not at anyone else, rather at himself. 
"From the moment I arrived I had to work. I took care of them both all while juggling between three different jobs. I gave up my senior highschool year..." That sounded so rough. Kyungsoo's heart twisted in his chest.

"I also... Fell ill for a while there, because of exhaustion. I came there to save them and help--- And yet--- I became even more of a burden---..." Yixing choked on his words, he was shaking and looking down, probably trying his hardest to hold back his own tears, while Baekhyun's own tears kept streaming silently. He huffed out and then inhaled slowly to balance himself again.

"They're safe now... And I would have done it again, if it means knowing that they are safe." He admitted harshly and honestly. 
"However... None of this was any excuse for me to not say a word, I now understand. Through it all, I was sure I was protecting you from pain, by staying away and taking care of it without exposing you to the hardships of the situation. But... Now when I see you--- Again-..." He had to pause to breathe again due to another lump in his throat.

"Now when I see what I've done---... The pain you had to suffer... I learn that I was wrong. I did what I had to do, but I had made a mistake with you. And I---... I terribly regret making this decision, now that I know it hurt you this much." Yixing shut his eyes while looking down. He looked defeated, he looked like there is nothing but pain, sadness and regret filling his entire being. He then surprised everyone by falling down to his knees, and bowing in front of Baekhyun's feet, right there on the ground, right for them all to see. Kyungsoo jumped a little in surprise. In chinese tradition, bowing while on the ground is considered an honor made solely towards royalty status or more.

Yixing just stripped himself off of his own being, off of his own pride and respect, he was completely bare in front of Baekhyun. 
"I deeply apologize, Baekhyun. I sincerely accept any form of action you'd decide to take. Anything but forgiveness would do. Even if you decide to never see me again, I'd guarentee it to you." He said, trying to sound honorable, but he just sounded like he's about to burst in tears.

"... The reason I was so angry, damnit, I'm still angry," Baekhyun spoke, sniffing once more before crouching down to the ground as well. Yixing has risen up from the deep bow, and was now sitting on his knees and looking at Baekhyun again, both of them were at eye level. 
"Is because I was just... So lonely. And scared." Baekhyun's voice still had a hint of anger in it, but it was mostly sadness speaking now between the tears.

"I felt so stupid. Like I've been used and abandoned. I was such an idiot. Because even when it hurt so ing bad to just think about you, remembering your face--- I still couldn't get you out of my head." He admitted shakingly. For a while it was quiet, but then Yixing nodded at Baekhyun, and urged him to continue. 

Surprisingly, Baekhyun obliged, and kept going on for a long time more about all sorts of things that had hurt him through all this time. Even things that had nothing to do with Yixing's own actions. He told him about the how angry and sad he was about the spreading rumours, he told him about a fight he had with his mom, he told him about how annoying and frustrating exams in highschool are, And Yixing kept nodding, kept making him continue. He was being so gentle and careful, accepting every word that Baekhyun cried out wholly.

At that point, Kyungsoo suddenly realized something. Yixing... He... He's helping Baekhyun right now. He's allowing him to express everything, relieve all of his stress by venting and complaining towards him like that. Yixing was being so selfless, even in a situation like that, he became something that would provide for Baekhyun's needs, rather than care about himself. It didn't change the fact, however, that Kyungsoo's heart was aching terribly at the amount of pain that kept pouring out of Baekhyun. Pain that he kept dealing with all on his own, thinking that just like Yixing had left him, if he'd do something or say something wrong, everyone else would leave him too.

He whined, and cried, and shouted, he complained and sniffed and groaned. And then he didn't anymore. 

He was done. He released it all, dropped every single one of the pain stones he had gathered through this whole year on Yixing, who allowed all of the weight to get absorbed inside of his own pain. And now it was quiet. The street was silent except for maybe a single bug buzzing near the light. Baekhyun's tears have finally stopped. Only a few wet drops were gripping to his cheeks.

Baekhyun then slowly rose back to stand on his feet. Yixing followed right after, looking at him. Kyungsoo could feel the urge in Yixing's body to reach out and wipe Baekhyun's tears away. But he didn't. He contained himself like a statue. Like a disciplined soldier. 
"I know you said you don't want forgiveness. But if you do, then there's one thing you must do." Baekhyun said, sounding assured and confident after sniffling, he even crossed his arms. 

Although Yixing didn't say anything, it was easy to tell that he was curious. He wanted to know. Clearly contradicting his own words from before. But it didn't matter, because it was obvious that he wanted that from the beginning. 
"Never vanish like that again." Baekhyun set his rule, and it left not only Yixing, but everyone else around too, confused.

Then, against everybody's expectations, Baekhyun rasied his hand and gently Yixing's cheek, before lowering it to his shoulder and stepping close. He lowered his head, and allowed his forehead to fall against Yixing's shoulder lightly. 
"Talk to me. Tell me everything. We could solve everything as long as you let me be there with you. Nobody has to get hurt like this again." He said quietly, huffing out. "Promise me."

Yixing's hand was shaking pretty hard as he raised it to gently hold around Baekhyun, but after a moment of silence, all of his attempts to hold back the tears broke down, and he began sobbing painfully himself. He buried his face into Baekhyun, and cried. Grabbing around Baekhyun tightly, yet with so much affection and grace, that it seemed like he was holding the greatest treasure on earth. To him, Kyungsoo knew, that Baekhyun truly was, the greatest treasure on earth.

And that was it. The outcome of 'Operation Morons'. Kyungsoo's cheeks have already been dripping with tears for a while, and he felt so many strong emotions swirling all over inside his heart and mind. He couldn't think of anything but the amount of kindness, acceptance, and love, that Baekhyun and Yixing must have taught each other over their many years together, in order to be able to come to this conclusion after they've both been hurting for so long.

Junmyeon was the first to approach the two of them, with a wet smile of relief, he wrapped his arms around them in a gentle hug while their backs. Behind him Jongdae and Minseok both were laughing lightly at each other's crying faces, before gently wiping one another's tears away and pressing their heads together with a shared sigh. A huge burden has been lifted from the two of them, who were technically the center of this entire event happening as a whole. Even Sehun slowly approached closer and sniffed into his sleeve as he rubbed a hand over crying Yixing's back.

A wet sniffle came from beside Kyungsoo, however, and when he turned to look up at Chanyeol, he found that he was crying silently to himself. Wiping his never ending tears again and again with his sleeve. His other arm, still holding tight and secure around Kyungsoo's shoulders. Chanyeol as well, must have been hoping for the two to solve this conflict between them for so long. He's so patient and ambitious. 

Although it wasn't even his own pain, he cried this hard because he felt so strongly for other people's sake. Kyungsoo learned that Chanyeol has a beautiful, sensitive soul. And that he loves him even more than he did before.

Just like Chanyeol said, there will be hurt, and there will be healing. And now, all of them could use some of that healing.