Chapter 6

Doshio

 

"Hey~ Do you have some free time now?" Chanyeol seemed pretty hopeful for a yes from Kyungsoo. The two of them, along with the rest of their classmates, have already began packing up their bags as it is the end of the school day and they are all free to roam. Kyungsoo didn't really know what it was about, but it still surprised him to see just how much anticipation there was behind Chanyeol's big eyed smile. He's so cute.

"I do." He replied, slightly confused, seeing Chanyeol's face form a satisfied grin. 
"Good! I want you to meet an old friend again." Meet an old friend...? This is even more confusing that he had initially thought. Especially because Kyungsoo has no friends other than Baekhyun and Jongdae. And maybe Junmyeon, but he never really established that with him.

He still packed his bag, greeted Sehun, Baekhyun and Jongdae goodbye, while standing and waiting for Chanyeol to finish talking with his friends by the school's gate. His mind still trying to make the rounds and come up with who might he be meeting. Of course it's also about the fact that Chanyeol had individually invited him for that occasion and nobody else, but meeting people he doesn't expect to meet is even more stressful than spending some time with Chanyeol.

"What's with that serious face?" Chanyeol leaned down slightly beside him from behind, and chuckled as Kyungsoo jerked lightly in surprise and touched his own face with the tips of his fingers. 
"O-Oh... I'm just not sure who we are going to meet." He explained as they began walking together in the town's direction. 
"Sorry, I could have been more clear. I know it can be intimidating for you." Chanyeol admitted, looking at him apologetically. "Remember the kitten you've saved from the rain?"

Kyungsoo's eyes widened a little. 
"I do." He nodded quickly. That kitten was so adorable and soft looking. It feels like it happened so long ago, because he hasn't had the time to think of the kitten's well being anymore. 
"We're going to visit him today! And his owner, of course. My friend." Chanyeol smiled warmly in his direction, and Kyungsoo wasn't sure if he feels happiness due to the relief of knowing the kitten found a loving home with Chanyeol's friend, or if Chanyeol's smiles just lift his spirit so much that they cure all worries in an instant.

Sooner than Kyungsoo was able to prepare himself for meeting one of Chanyeol's friends for the first time, they've already made it. Standing in front of a large apartment complex located quite near the town's main road. It even had a parking lot right underneath.

After climbing some clean stairs they've made it to a door of apartment 2199. There was a little sign hanging on the door with a decorative adorable writing of 'The Kims'. Kyungsoo really had no idea what to expect when Chanyeol rang the doorbell and smiled down at him in a reassuring manner. He's really trying to make this a pleasant experience for Kyungsoo. Chanyeol is just so considerate and kind... Kyungsoo will do his best to have a good time for him.

The door opened less than thirty seconds after they announced their arrival via the bell, and there stood a young man in an oversized sweater, sport shorts and a wide eyed smile. He was so... Cute. His eyes were big and foxy, his nose small like a button and his entire face looked like one of a child even younger than the two of them. Kyungsoo was surprised, but at the same time not surprised at all from the fact that Chanyeol, who's the giant handsome prince of everybody's hearts, would be friends with a guy that looks like he could cute his way into the most secret of hidden facility bases in the world.

"Welcome! Come, come." The man's voice fit with his appearance perfectly. Kyungsoo felt almost foreign, having these two breathtaking men in his vicinity. Chanyeol, followed by Kyungsoo, entered the apartment and took off their shoes before stepping inside right into the sparkly clean and spacious living room.

The owner of the apartment, after exchanging a hug with Chanyeol, turned to Kyungsoo with a smile. 
"Nice to meet you! You're Kyungsoo, right? The one who kept my new best friend safe in the rain?" He asked cheerfully, and Kyungsoo's heart felt a little warmer from the terms he had used to describe the kitten in question. 
"A-Ah, yes." He shook the man's hand. 
"I'm Minseok, very glad you could make it."

Chanyeol had already made himself comfortable on the couch, and as Minseok sat down on the armchair beside it, Kyungsoo spotted a little movement of a furred tail moving nearby. Is it...?

"Tannie! Look who it is!" Minseok called out, turning in his seat and pulled the kitten in his hands like a baby. 
"I named him Tan." He smiled at Kyungsoo who finally sat down on the other edge of the fairly small couch beside Chanyeol. 
"He grew so much!" Chanyeol sounded impressed, reaching a hand out towards Tan's face to him. Minseok laughed lightly but then gave Chanyeol an unhappy pout. 
"If you came to visit more often you would have known!"

After a short awkward laughter coming from Chanyeol, Minseok stood up and lightly dropped Tan on top of Chanyeol's lap. Kyungsoo stared in awe and admiration at the way Chanyeol's large hands became like a toy for the cat. He was incredibly friendly and easy to get along with. Minseok must be a very gentle person to raise a cat in such a pleasant environment.

Minseok returned from the kitchen with a bowl of snacks and some nice cold drinks for the three of them. He placed them on the coffee table and sat back down with a calm smile, even raised his legs up to sit more comfortably. Kyungsoo however, was pretty distracted by Tan slowly approaching him on the couch, and slowly climbing over his own lap, as if curious and interested in him.

He could feel his heart beating with raised excitement. Tan was so adorable and fluffy, looking so clean and soft. Kyungsoo gulped lightly and brought his hand off his knee, then very carefully began his palm over Tan's back. It felt like he was touching a cloud, and Tan didn't seem to mind at all. Even when they found him, the kitten never showed this much insterest in him. Not while Chanyeol was there.

"Aww~ Tannie likes you." Minseok cooed at his cat. Or perhaps he cooed at Kyungsoo himself? He wasn't sure. But regardless he felt a little shy, realizing that both Chanyeol and Minseok are looking at him with this much interest. 
"Ah!" Kyungsoo remembered something important, and while Tan continued sniffing all over him, he reached down to his bag and pulled out a small plastic bag.

At the moment it was brought out of the bag, Tan's attention turned directly to it as he attempted to grab it out of Kyungsoo's hold. 
"After I knew You wanted me to come, I started carrying catnip in my bag..." He admitted a little shyly. Both Minseok and Chanyeol stared at him surprised before starting to laugh warmly. 
"So sweet of you." Minseok grinned.

Carefully, Kyungsoo took out the ziplocked bag and poured a tiny bit into his palm. Tan immediately buried his face in Kyungsoo's palm and began up the catnip. So cute! Kyungsoo's whole body tingled as he watched Tan clean his palm and drop back down to lay in the little gap between Chanyeol and himself on the couch.

Kyungsoo's eyes were glued on the cat, he very gently continued his fur, to the point where Tan even shut his eyes. That means he's secure and calm, right? He continued fawning over Tan internally for a little bit, before looking up at Chanyeol beside him. He was sure he'd find him looking at Tan, but instead there was an affectionate smile on his face, directed at Kyungsoo himself.

It was quiet for several moments of staring before Chanyeol suddenly turned his head away. Are his ears pink again? 
"Anyway! I bet you're curious about the connection between Chanyeol and I." Minseok leaned back in his armchair comfortably.

"I actually graduated the same highschool as you, two years ago." He began. "I've known Chanyeol since elementary school though. Both of us bonded because we were both chubby and round back then." He grinned with a chuckle, and Chanyeol shot him an embarrassed pout.
"Sadly, we couldn't share middle school and high school together. But everybody already knew Chanyeol even before he got to enter highschool. Especially after his appearances at the middle school graduation ceremonies." He explained. Middle school graduation ceremonies? Kyungsoo would have loved to know more about that. What has he done that made him this memorable?

"Somebody here, however, doesn't come visit me when I have some free time, so!" Minseok gave Chanyeol a piercing pout, which made him laugh. The subject was changed. That's alright, it'd be too weird for Kyungsoo to ask about Chanyeol when he's right there. He decided to focus on the matter at hand. If Minseok graduated two years ago, it means he's one year older than Junmyeon. Ah... Kyungsoo misses Junmyeon a lot. 

Tan let out a little purr to remind Kyungsoo to continue petting him, since he was distracted thinking about the logistics of his acquaintances ages. 
"So what do you do now?" He asked quietly, unsure if it was worded correctly. But he was always curious to know how life goes on once school actually ends. 
"Oh, I'm already working on my degree." Minseok smiled. Wow. Rather than surprised, Kyungsoo was pretty dumbfounded. The future is so vast.

As the conversation continued further, Kyungsoo's nervousness started to fade. Minseok's quiet and calm temper really contradicted with Chanyeol's excitement, and created a blanaced atmosphere. Very peaceful, especially with Tan napping right against his thigh.

The two of them just finished laughing about something Chanyeol had told, and Minseok's attention turned to him with a small smile. 
"So, what do you do on your free time?" Kyungsoo had to think about it for a while. What... Does he do really? 
"Uhm... Not much, I guess. I stay at home, watch movies..." He explained lightly, trying to remember any other special activity that he would be partaking in, but there was nothing.

"Really? I can't stand the boredom of staying at home. If there isn't anything specific I want to do, or someone there with me, I just go out a lot." Chanyeol hummed, and expanded a little bit about himself as well. This was new and wonderful information for Kyungsoo to learn. He didn't expect any less from Chanyeol. Always occupied, always doing something that's useful in one way or another.

"I like to draw sometimes, too. Since I daydream a lot. Time passes by really quickly that way." Kyungsoo elaborated a little more. 
"Daydream... Huh." Minseok nodded, it seems like he could understand what Kyungsoo meant.
"I imagine myself in different situations. For example, if someone next to me is in trouble, or feeling unwell... Then I try to think what I would do in order to help them. Even though it's difficult to do in reality." He rubbed his cheek with his finger with a nervous smile as his eyes lowered down to Tan. "I'm not very good with these things."

"You're giving yourself too little credit." Chanyeol smiled in his direction, and Kyungsoo was very grateful that he changed the subject afterwards. There was too much pressure involved for him when it comes to becoming the center of attention.

The three of them talked about cats, about dogs, about delicious foods and some more about Minseok's future plans. Although Kyungsoo was only just a little bit disappointed he didn't get to hear anything more about Minseok's shared past with Chanyeol from elementary school, he still felt at ease enough to be a part of the conversation. Not much, but more than normal, at least.

He found out that time passes incredibly quickly when there's a cat napping nearby. Tan constantly had helped Kyungsoo keep his composure until it was time to leave. And Minseok generously greeted them goodbye with an important life lesson. About how important it is to give one's best at school, but also how important it is to stay healthy and keep a clear head, even if it comes with a price of some points recuded in the final grade.

On their way home, surpsingly, it was mostly Kyungsoo who spoke. He kept praising Tan's many positive points of growth, and expressed how thankful he is for being able to meet Minseok and Tan like this. All thanks to Chanyeol. He was just overflowing with his strong liking to the cat, and his owner. And Chanyeol just let him. Smiling down at him and listening to every word he said, humming in agreement at exactly the right moments to keep Kyungsoo excitement up so he'd talk more.

It was great. Everything about today was great. Kyungsoo felt the happiness streaming in his blood long after they've parted ways under the usual streetlight at the paths' connection.

 

 

Another weekend came by, a day well spent was starting to come to an end as Kyungsoo was calmly cooking dinner at home. Now that he was free from the stress of exams, he can get back to it and allow his parents to rest at ease when it comes to food. He loves cooking, he loves learning from his mother and father and trying new interesting recipes. The majority of the times it ends up in a successful meal. So his parents know they can trust him on this.

His mother cheerfully came to the kitchen, humming and sniffing the air in an over dramatic manner. 
"Oooh hon, it smells delicious in here!" She praised him warmly, and snuck around him by the counter to get a closer look. She then reached her arm in between his and grabbed a spoonful of food to taste. The big bite result in a big satisfied smile.

The approval came in the form of her hand gently petting and through Kyungsoo's hair affectionately. 
"Just the right amount of sasame oil. You're going to surpass your father and I if you keep improving!" She chuckled before pecking the side of his head and leaving the kitchen in light steps. Kyungsoo highly enjoyed and appreciated the praises with a proud smile spreading across his lips. A smile he's sharing with himself. 

He kept thinking about how much fun he had going out to eat with Baekhyun and Jongdae. Even if the restaurant was really nothing special at all, and he already knew what to order due to his frequent visits, the experience was still something special. He recalled in his mind how funny they were, and how cute was the way they kept stealing bites from each other's dishes although the three of them had put everything to share together. 

And later, when they were sitting in the park and talking. How they taught him a lot, how they explained everything to him with calm patience, how they've made a promise... Ah, it brought joy to his heart just from remembering how incredibly happy and shy he felt with their pinkies tangled together. They treated him so kindly. 

A part of him was too scared to admit it, but another part of him kept wanting more. And he began wondering when will be the next time they will be able to go out together again.

He didn't even realize that the phone was ringing. More than that, he hadn't realized his mother had already answered, until she called his name with a surprised expression. 
"Kyungsoo hon? A... A friend called you!" She seemed pretty thrilled. It must be quite a new experience for his parents too, for Kyungsoo to have actual friends that call him. 

Who would call his home and present themselves as his friend? In an instant, Kyungsoo placed all of the cooking tools down and rushed to the phone, rubbing his hands on the front of his apron just to make sure they're clean and dry.
"Hello?" His heart was thumping in his chest with the anticipation, he hoped his voice didn't sound too hesitant. 
"Ah! Kyungsoo! We're going to a ramen place tonight! Wanna join us?" It was Jongdae over the phone. He could also hear Baekhyun's voice whining in the background. W-Whoa. This is the first time anything like this happened. Normally Kyungsoo only went outside when absolutely necessary, and now he felt actual excitement towards doing so.

Before responding, Kyungsoo lowered the phone and turned to his parents. 
"Mom--- Dad--- Do you mind if I go out to eat dinner with friends tonight?" His voice trembled a little from the buzz of the situation. Both of them stared at him for a moment, exchanged a look between one another, then smiled at him. 
"Of course! You have to go!" His mom exclaimed happily. "Next time you could invite them over for dinner." His father added. 

"Thank you!" Kyungsoo replied with a smile and quickly agreed to join his two friends over the phone. After very few minutes of eagerly getting ready to leave the house, he greeted his parents goodbye at the door. 
"Don't stay out too late hon!" His father called after him.

This will be the first time Kyungsoo will be eating ramen outside with anyone who isn't his family. Baekhyun and Jongdae got his first time with the sushi after school, and now they're getting his ramen too. Last time he went to eat out with the two of them, they went to a place Kyungsoo already knew well. Plus they went right after school, so it didn't feel like anything as formal as they'll be going to now. Not that a ramen place can actually be anything fancy around their town, but hey, going out to eat dinner together on a weekend was pretty fancy in Kyungsoo's standards.

He arrived at their meetup spot fairly quickly, probably because he was eager to spend time with his friends again. The bridge that spreads above the town's highway was a good place to meet, because it connects their living blocks and leads right into town.

Jongdae was dressed with loose clothes, pants hanging around his waist solely thanks to the belt, and flip flops. While Baekhyun was dressed with a large printed T-shirt and a pair of skinny jeans. Alright, that's good. So Kyungsoo's outfit was just the right amount of casual to match with them. 

At the moment the two of them spotted him they began chuckling to themselves. 
"What is this, grandpa Kyungsoo came along?" Baekhyun teased. Well, he couldn't deny that, Kyungsoo just found this comfortable. With his rolled up farmer jeans, tucked in shirt and a plaid flanel on top. 
"It's just comfortable." He explained with a smile. 
"It looks cool! Pretty unique." Jongdae winked and gave him a thumb up as they all began heading in the restaurant's direction.

"By the way Kyungsoo, we don't know your cellphone number yet. That's why we had to call to your house... Your mom sounded nice though!" Jongdae spoke again, the little bit of sun left in the sky now sinking down in the distance behind the last few buildings at the edge of town. 

"I don't have one." 
"You don't?!" Baekhyun sounded pretty shocked. 
"I never really felt the need to get one, since I'm always either at school or at home." Kyungsoo admitted calmly. It really didn't make sense to waste this much effort on something that wouldn't even be useful for him in any way. Cellphones are for people in contact when they're away from home, but if he stays at home all the time, owning one wouldn't benefit him. The two have found his explanation reasonable it seems, because they both hummed out understandingly. 
"Well, if you get one, let us know." Jongdae concluded with a nod.

It turned dark outside by the time they made it to the little ramen restaurant in a small alley divergent from the main street. Yeah, he definitely picked a good simple outfit for this place. It was so casual, homey and welcoming, he would feel comfortable even wearing his pajamas in here.

There were quite a lot of customers sitting in large groups across the tables, the background music was relaxing, and somehow, Kyungsoo didn't feel overcrowded at all. The place looked like it's trying to mimic traditional architecture, and it did look a little aged, but beautiful regardless. Pictures of flowers were hanging on the walls, and the colors were all light and woody.

"Welcome! Oh! Baekhyunie~ You came over again?" The elderly man standing behind the ramen making stand greeted them heartfully. 
"Hey! Don't expose me like thatttt." Baekhyun whined childishly and made the man laugh as the trio settled themselves down at the side of the bar seats, each of his friends at each of Kyungsoo's sides on the swirly bar stools. He never sat at a bar like this before, this is pretty exciting.

The two of them began chattering up about their favourite dishes and recommended so many different types to Kyungsoo that as grateful as he was, he only wound up even more confused than he felt from simply reading the little menu on his own. 
"I really recommend the shoyu ramen!" Baekhyun called happily, and Kyungsoo agreed to order the same. 
"I'll take a miso ramen." Jongdae said, causing Baekhyun to pout. 
"Hey, I literally just recommended the shoyu one..." 
"I had that one last time." Jongdae pouted back, yet came out victorious.

Kyungsoo used the moment to look around the place some more, only to have someone familiar looking catch his eye. He stared at the guy for a while, it was one of the waiters, he had a bandana over his head and forehead. Something about him looked very familiar. 
"This guy reminds me of Sehun." He mentioned to his friends. The two blinked at him. 
"What do you mean, it is Sehun." They said in unison, as if it was a fact known to all.

"Welcome, new customer." Their classmate popped behind them and skillfully poured the three fresh glasses of water. Kyungsoo smiled back towards him, grateful to the welcoming greeting.
"Thank you, Sehun!" Sehun nodded with a calm smile and headed off to tend to one of the tables. Their orders then landed in front of them on the table, and after a moment of appreciation to the beauty of the dish, the three of them dug in hungrily.

 

 

"I'm so full!" Jongdae yawned with satisfaction as the three of them left their payment for the meal to the old man. 
"Right, we'll be going up then!" Baekhyun claimed happily and began heading towars the stairs that lead to the personal home of the shop owners. Huh? Why would they go there? Isn't that private? Kyungsoo was puzzled from the unexpected turn of events. 

Does Baekhyun actually know the owner well enough to have free access into his home? Kyungsoo would be surprised if that were true, but then again, it is Baekhyun. He would be able to make friends with anybody.

"Aren't you being too obnoxious? Inviting yourself to Sehun's house like this..." Jongdae complained while following after Baekhyun anyway. 
Wait, what?! This is Sehun's house?! Kyungsoo was more than shocked to find that fact out. It makes a whole lot more sense now though. 
"A-Are you sure it's alright for me to come in there...?" He asked with a hint of worry. Kyungsoo is a friend of Baekhyun and Jongdae, but does Sehun, also, consider him a friend? And with that, good enough to actually allow him into his home? 

"Of course! Why not?" Baekhyun encouraged them both with a smile, as they entered Sehun's house. Does this mean that the restaurant belongs to Sehun's family? That would explain why he works here, too. So cool. Kyungsoo began thinking about how it'd feel to live in a house above a restaurant. If his parents opened a restaurant, would he have to work in it as well? It sounds pretty fun.

After taking off their shoes and starting to make their way through the house, little tapping noises on the floor could be heard echoing from another spot of the house. After several moments, a white fluffy dog suddenly came behind the wall and stared at them. 
"Viviiiiii!" Baekhyun called out with excitement and dropped to his knees immediately, both his arms reached out towards the pup. Ahh, so this is Vivi. Kyungsoo chuckled lightly, recalling the way Sehun praised the dog back at school.

His chuckle then turned into laughter when unlike his expectations of seeing the dog happily and cheerfully rush towards Baekhyun, he instead walked to him very slowly, and right before reaching his hands, turned towards Jongdae and sniffed him. Baekhyun's face looked so defeated and dramatic when he allowed himself to fall on the floor out of the sheer pain of rejection. 
"Hey there Vivi~ I know right, I'd stay away from him too." Jongdae teasingly spoke to the dog, petting his head.

With a smile across his lips, Kyungsoo kneeled down and offered his hand for Vivi to get familiar with. He received barely a gentle to the tips of his fingers, before Vivi lost insterest in all of them and headed back around the corner and out of their view. So cute!

Baekhyun got himself up from the ground and led them into Sehun's room. Once there, he shamelessly fell onto the bed and spread himself across it to get comfortable, while Jongdae and Kyungsoo took their spots on his carpet. How come Baekhyun was so comfortable about being at Sehun's place like this? Kyungsoo couldn't help but wonder. Maybe Baekhyun lives nearby so the two of them knew each other for long enough to be this carefree about it.

Well, Sehun's room is generally comfortable looking, and welcoming. It doesn't have a particular smell, and everything seems to be pretty much in order. It's not as clean and sparkly as Minseok's place, but still good.

After a while of hanging out in the room together, a phone began beeping. Jongdae quickly pulled out his device and placed it to his ear. 
"Hey, whats up?" Both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo looked at each other. Who could it be in this hour? Kyungsoo didn't want to feel like he's poking his nose somewhere it doesn't belong, his instincts of privacy made him a little uncomfortable. 

"Yeah. I'm hanging out at a friend's." A smile spread across Jongdae's lips, and Kyungsoo could see a small shine he hasn't seen spark up in Jongdae's eyes before. 
"Yeah. I know. Be there when im done. I'll text you for heads up~" He sounded so calm, his voice was at ease, filled with warmth. Kyungsoo couldnt take his eyes off of the amount of happiness that's radiating from Jongdae until the call had ended. 

Could it have been his parents? It wouldn't really make sense after Jongdae had told them what's the situation with his family is like. But then if it isn't family, who could make Jongdae look this happy?

"Don't be so shocked, Kyungsoo. It's probably just his boyfriend." Baekhyun chuckled in such a dismissive obvious manner, as if this was something Kyungsoo was supposed to be familiar with. He turned to Baekhyun in disbelief. 
"B-Boyfriend?!" 
"Yeah. He's studying for his degree, always busy." Baekhyun replied, more focused on flexing his socked feet on the bed than paying attention to just how shocking this revalation is for Kyungsoo.

Jongdae sighed lightly before sliding the phone back into his pocket. He's so mature. With a phone, a card of his own, a boyfriend that's older than him, and barely ever staying at home? Jongdae's really got his life together. He knows how to handle heavy responsibilites that matter for important aspects of life. He's so amazing. Kyungsoo made a mental note for himself about how he needed to start learning how to manage himself as well as Jongdae.

At this point in his life, Kyungsoo couldn't even imagine having a single argument with his parents. Let alone handling important financial issues or staying away from home for more than a few hours at a time. Does it make him childish? Or maybe he's just so used to having nothing other than his home and family for comfort, that suddenly stepping outside of the box of what he knew was still scary for him?

Kyungsoo got quite distracted thinking about it, but when he looked at Baekhyun, he found that his expression didn't look as bright, but rather, longing. As if he was thinking about someone long gone. Someone who possibly meant something as deep to Baekhyun as Jongdae's boyfriend is to him. Baekhyun also, as childish as can be, knows how to handle important responsibilities well.

"You're like an actual adult." Kyungsoo turned to Jongdae, who grinned for a short while before his expression turned authorative. Like a teacher. 
"Don't worry, Kyungsoo, one day you'll understand the amazing world of adulthood." He spoke with his finger pointing up, then patted Kyungsoo's shoulder reassuringly. 

"Huh? What do you mean amazing world of adulthood? Aren't we like adults already? I know that I am!" Baekhyun pouted at Jongdae, pushing his socked foot near his face. Whatever maturity Baekhyun has, definitely doesn't come into account at this moment. Jongdae whined out with disgust as he pushed Baekhyun's whole leg away and began bantering with him yet again, the two pushing and pulling onto each other like a comical children's show. They really could make a good comedic duo. All they need is to be left alone together, and a camera to film it all.

 

 

The two ceased, however, at the moment the room's door slammed open, and Sehun stood there staring at them with his usual piercing, cold looking expression. Kyungsoo knew by now that Sehun's intimidating appearance is far off from how sweet and gentle his personality really is. The pair quickly parted, and Baekhyun stood up right in front of Sehun, poking his finger at his chest. 
"Don't just barge in here like this! You scared me." 
"That's my room." Sehun responded, looking down at Baekhyun with a neutral expression. The two of them seriously looked so comfortable with each other. Baekhyun was comfortable in Sehun's house, and even in his bed. Was there something going on between them? Could it be that the two of them are also... Together?

"Are you two... Boyfriends...?" Kyungsoo asked out loud in a quiet voice, his lips moved before his brain could tell them to stop. Three pairs of eyes turned in his direction right away. Before anybody uttered a sound, Sehun raised a hand and covered his ear that's facing Baekhyun's direction, as if he's preparing himself for what's to come.

"NO!!" Ah, Kyungsoo understood why he covered his ear now. Baekhyun retaliated immediately from the question, looking not even a little bit sorry for the harsh denial. 
"Have you lost your mind? There's no way I'd date this kid. He's more like a little brother to me. I'm so used to having him around ever since we were babies... It'd just feel wrong." Baekhyun quickly gave his explanation, smacking Sehun's arm gently.

But as Sehun sat down on the bed, Baekhyun easily sat himself directly next to him and spread his legs over Sehun's own. Sehun looked completely unphased. Truly, what Kyungsoo saw before his eyes was brotherhood at its best form. Baekhyun continued speaking about their shared past for a while longer, though.

The stories were really adorable and fun sounding. The two of them really have always been together. Brotherhood, huh? Kyungsoo looked at Jongdae from time to time as the stories got told. He laughed and smiled like he normally would, but seeing two people behaving this lopsely like brothers must still bring up some form of thought about the situation between him and his very own brother, Jongin.

Kyungsoo was just glad that Jongdae seemed happy. Because so was he. The evening was lovely. Absolutely wonderful. Kyungsoo had so much fun hanging with the three of them in Sehun's room. 

As drinks and snacks were added to the equasion, it felt like not only Baekhyun and Sehun, but all four of them knew each other for years. A whole new feeling for Kyungsoo to learn. It was calm and pleasant, so relaxing and fun. He felt like a brand new upgraded version of himself infused with happiness through the whole time. He was so glad, and so thankful that he's able to spend his time in this manner.

"Why won't we invite Chanyeol over as well?" Baekhyun asked at some point out of the blue. Kyungsoo's body stiffened in his spot from just hearing his name being mentioned. 
"Sehun must feel so out of place." He added as an excuse, although there was not even a hint of Sehun being anything as far as being considered out of place. He spoke happily in all their conversations, and even bonded further with Kyungsoo. 

But Baekhyun extended his arm in Sehun's direction anyway. 
"Give me your phone!" Sehun shrugged before handing it to him quietly. 
"There, Kyungsoo, you should invite him." Baekhyun did all the tapping on the screen before handing Kyungsoo the device. Oh no, is he prepared to talk with Chanyeol on the phone for the first time like this? In front of everyone? Would he able to remain calm enough to not raise any suspicion? His felt like his soul was slowly leaving him just from imagining how awful he'd be at it.

"R-Really? Is this a good idea?" He asked nervously, holding the phone in his palms and looking at Chanyeol's name and display picture on Sehun's phone. 
"Come on, it'll be funny. He'd expect it to be Sehun, but suddenly you will speak! Bet he'll freak." Jongdae began teasing Chanyeol who wasn't even present to defend himself, while Baekhyun laughed. 

But Kyungsoo couldn't bring himself to press the green ring button, he was so nervous. What if he makes a fool out of himself? Speaking to Chanyeol in real life is already a great task for him to accomplish.

"Why are you taking so long? Just press it. Chanyeol usually answers really quickly. Just say that we're all at Sehun's place and ask him to come!" Baekhyun changed his approach, and instead of making fun of the situation, encouraged him some more. Kyungsoo felt his heartbeat echo in his ears. He's really scared... But, he does want Chanyeol to join them. Everything is always somehow a little bit better when Chanyeol's around. 

Alright. He'll do this. He can do it. After exhaling to release the steam gathering inside him, Kyungsoo finally pressed the call button and placed the phone against his ear. Luckily, Jongdae and Sehun were busy talking with each other, so their attention wasn't directed at him as he felt the heat rising on his cheeks.

The phone rang twice, giving Kyungsoo a chance to take a breath, before Chanyeol's voice came from the other side of the line. 
"Sup, Sehun?" Ah... This is really happening. 
"Hello? Chanyeol? This is Kyungsoo speaking." He said quietly, trying to sound composed. There was a pause of silence before suddenly he began talking in a higher tone. 
"Oh? Kyungsoo? But this is Sehun's phone? What are you doing?" He sounded surprised, curious.
"I'm at Sehun's place now. Baekhyun, Jongdae, Sehun... We ate ramen at his family's restaurant and now we're hanging out at his place. I thought... It'd be fun if you join us as well." Kyungsoo explained, his heart fast and loud in his ears while his anticipation was rising. There was another pause of silence. 
"Be right there!" Chanyeol replied with what Kyungsoo hoped was enthusiasm, before the call was hung up.

It took him several moments of listening to the silence after the call to realize it ended. But now that Kyungsoo was back in reality, he realized all three in the room were looking at him curiously. He quietly handed the phone back to Sehun, looking down shyly. 
"He said he's coming." 
"Nice! You did it." Jongdae laughed. He... He really did it. His first phonecall with Chanyeol. And now all that's left to do is wait for him to arrive.

 

 

From one subject to another, they ended up talking about Sehun and Baekhyun's shared past together again. But this time, after browsing through Sehun's room, Baekhyun managed to pull out their middle school's year book. It seems that Baekhyun, Sehun, and Chanyeol all came from the same middle school, Jongdae from another, and Kyungsoo himself from a different one.

"Tadah! That's me." Baekhyun opened the book up and pointed at his own profile picture in the collective classroom's page. 
"You three were in the same class in middle school too?" Jongdae asked right away, sounding impressed.

As Kyungsoo scanned the page with his eyes, curious about which three people Jongdae meant, he found Sehun, looking way younger than now, but with the exact same cold expression. Hah, so cute. Kyungsoo got the feeling that Sehun is one of those people who 'age like fine wine'. Or so the adults say.

Then he found Chanyeol's pictures as well, hair way shorter than his current style, but pretty much the same sort of smile across his lips. Kyungsoo's eyes ended up lingering a while longer at his picture than anybody else's. Whoa... Even in middle school's graduation picture Chanyeol already looked impressive. No wonder he left such a deep impression and made students follow him to this highschool.

"Sehun looks like baby here!" Baekhyun pointed out with a teasing grin, causing him to pout lightly. 
"Look who's speaking." Sehun replied in a snarky manner. 
"To me you'll always be a baby!" Baekhyun claimed victoriously and poked his cheek while puckering his own lips. 
"I'm still growing." Sehun concluded his comments about the subject.

"Ahhh, so this is the Chanyeol that all the girls fought over?" Jongdae called out with a chuckle, his finger pointing towards the picture. 
"Yeah! He had quite a transformation from first year to graduation. I'm pretty sure these pictures were taken not too long after his hair grew from a buzzcut." Baekhyun explained. 

"A buzzcut?" Well, it is a very convenient hairstyle, yet very uncommon for younger children at around middle school age. Kyungsoo wondered what could have been the reason for that hairstyle. He didn't even realize he mouthed the question out loud. 
"Yeah. It was really strange, actually. Near the end of the year he suddenly didn't show up to school for like... I don't know, a few days." Baekhyun began explaining, a hand on his chin as he tried to remember further details. "Then suddenly he showed up with a buzzcut, as if nothing happened. When people complimented him for it, he kept saying it was 'Just necessary', or something like that." That's... Quite an odd story to add to Kyungsoo's list of mysteries he wished he knew about Chanyeol.

As the page was flipped, a picture of the band performance of their middle school appeared. At the center of it stood Chanyeol and Sehun beside each other. Chanyeol smiling brightly and Sehun looking pretty blissed. They were so much younger. Which is a strange fact for Kyungsoo to point out in his mind, considering they still are, in fact, children. But it's a good excuse for him to continously repeat the word cute at every picture. 
"I remember our music teacher looking so gloomy when Chanyeol told him he won't be joining anything music related in highschool." Baekhyun said while thinking. Sehun nodded in agreement beside him. 

This is a whole side of Chanyeol that Kyungsoo has never known. And he'd be lying if he said he wasn't more curious about this than anything else he'd ever cared about before. They continue to flip through, finding another picture where all three, Chanyeol, Sehun, and Baekhyun, are in. Standing near the chalkboard and smiling at the camera with a few other students. 

Kyungsoo wondered what Chanyeol was like at middle school. Probably not much different from today, considering the amount of impact he has on such large amounts of people. He probably studied hard, made good friends and kept everyone happy, just like he does in highschool. 

He wished he knew Chanyeol back then too, then he would have been able to admire him for even longer. 
"I wish I could see him perform." Kyungsoo mumbled lightly under his breath, not really thinking others could hear. 
"Ah, you can do that soon. Sehun?" Baekhyun turned to him, so did Kyungsoo. 
"Yeah. We'll be joining the school's music band for the upcoming outdoors event." Sehun explained calmly. 

Whoa. That's even better. Instead of the past, Kyungsoo will get to see the present version of Chanyeol. He'll be able to take pictures like the ones in this book with everyone in his classroom, and make many wonderful memories from now on. He will have many more chances to bond with everyone. There are school activities, field trips, and more, which he could so his best and try to connect with them properly. 

"Ah! It's this girl." Jongdae directed everybody's attention to a different class' profile picture of a girl. She looks really beautiful in the picture. And also, familiar. 
"Isn't that the girl that speaks with Chanyeol a lot during breaks in front of our class?" Ah, that's right. Kyungsoo remembered her now. She was there when he heard the stories of Chanyeol being so popularly influential, right before Jongdae told them the story about Jongin. She's one of the people who followed him to their highschool. 

Baekhyun and Sehun's expressions seemed neutral and disinterested. 
"What's with that reaction?" Jongdae asked suspiciously, a raised eyebrow came along. 
"Ah, nothing really, I never really got to know her. She was pretty distant from everyone. Very popular with the boys though!" Baekhyun grinned. 
"Really? Doesn't she remind you of Kyungsoo a little?" Jongdae wondered to himself, before turning to Sehun sharply. 

"Sehun, what do you think of her?" He inquired curiously, pointing at her little smiling face in the group picture in the book. Sehun stared at her picture quietly for a while. 
"Not for me." He replied naturally, with no emotion whatsoever. But baekhyun had already taken the bait Jongdae planted, and pointed at Kyungsoo. 
"And what do you think of him?" His grin returned.

This time Sehun stared at Kyungsoo deeply for a long while, way longer than he did at the girl's photo, leaving Baekhyun and Jongdae a little surprised from how seriously he was actually taking this question. 

"I guess I like him." Sehun admitted, sounding a little warmer now. Kyungsoo quickly straightened his back and nodded at him politely. 
"I like you too, Sehun." He returned the feelings calmly, it clearly wasn't a confession or anything as deep, just a mutual general liking. Actually, knowing that Sehun likes him made Kyungsoo feel quite happy. 
"Then... Kyungsoo, what about Chanyeol?" Baekhyun asked in an even more curious tone, leaning slightly closer to him to watch his face. Kyungsoo stiffened in his spot and stared at them in silence. His heart speeding immensely. 

How... How does he feel towards Chanyeol? He admires him, of course. More than anyone else in the world. But does he... Does he feel anything more...?

It was silent for a long time as Kyungsoo's eyes danced in their sockets and his brain gears began spinning about how to properly explain and describe what he thinks of Chanyeol. His cheeks heating up as well. Luckily, he didn't have to struggle for too long. 
"Now now, let's leave him be. He'll have to climb the stairs into adulthood on his own~" Jongdae waved his palm in the air to signal their retreat from the subject. 
"Why does it sound so dirty when you say it like that..." Baekhyun glanced at him with a pout. 

"Speaking of dirty however..." Baekhyun continued with a weird smile. "Chanyeol's hair grows so fast! In less than a month after the buzzcut his hair already grew this much!" He laughed when opening their class picture in the book once again. 
"Why...?" Kyungsoo mumbled, questioning the connection between the 'naughty' subject and Chanyeol's hair. 

"You know what they say, erts grow hair the fastest!" Baekhyun called out, before all of the residents in the room jumped from the room's door slamming open yet again. Chanyeol was standing there looking upset and embarrassed. 
"W-What the hell! I'm not anything like that!" He shouted back at Baekhyun's statement. 
"How long have you been listening to us outside the door, creep!" Jongdae called him out teasingly, as he entered and sat himself down next to Kyungsoo poutily. He proceeded to try and defend himself against the pair of them.

It was good to see Chanyeol again. He looked all the same and yet so different when he's not at school and not wearing his uniform. Just a simple dark green hoodie and black jeans. His style is really nice. Kyungsoo couldn't help but look at his hair for a while longer, comparing it to his middle school short haircut. Kyungsoo would continue admiring him no matter which hairstyle he had, has, or will have in the future. He didn't even realize his lips were forming a smile until Jongdae pointed it out moments later. 
"Even Kyungsoo finds it funny!" He said to tease Chanyeol some more.

"Ahhh nooo, don't mock me like thisss, Kyungsoooo~!" Chanyeol whined out and covered his face with his palms. Kyungsoo began panicking, quickly turning to him worried. 
"I--- I didn't mean---" 
"Just kidding." Chanyeol cut him off in a calm tone. He removed his hands from his face and smiled at Kyungsoo warmly. "Laugh if you'd like." Kyungsoo felt his panic turn into surprise, then warmth, then back to calmness. It always ends like this, thanks to Chanyeol's words and smile. 

Kyungsoo smiled again and nodded at him in agreement. If Chanyeol wanted him to laugh and smile, he might as well allow himself to do so. It felt so much better, so much more freeing to be around Chanyeol like this, when their time to communicate wasn't limited by bells and teachers. It could also be because they are sitting closer than they usually do in class. Which is, already pretty close, considering they sit right next to each other.

They continued hanging out togehter in Sehun's room above the ramen restaurant. Talking, laughing, teasing each other, bringing stories from the shared middle school past of Baekhyun, Sehun and Chanyeol, until it had gotten later in the night and it was time to free Sehun from the burden of their presence in his room, and head back home.

Of course Baekhyun hasn't forgotten to nearly lay himself down on the floor in order to make Vivi approach him. The dog simply didn't care. Like a deja vu, he walked right around Baekhyun to get to Jongdae, Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo. Lingering a while longer under Chanyeol's touch. As expected, even Sehun's dog loved Chanyeol the most.

Sehun walked all four of them to the house's door. 
"I had a lot of fun tonight. Thank you for inviting me, Baekhyun, Jongdae." Kyungsoo smiled up at the two of them. 
"Thank you for letting me be a guest at your house." He then bowed politely to Sehun, who smiled and hummed in return. 
"Yup! Me too!" Jongdae smiled widely. 
"We'll be meeting up a lot then!" Baekhyun joined the smile, speaking it out into the air so that they will have to make sure it comes true. 

The two of them greeted Kyungsoo goodbye with half a hug around his shoulders. Baekhyun then headed over across the street, and Jongdae off to the direction of his boyfriend's place. Behind him came Sehun and Chanyeol, who were talking amongst themselves about something he couldn't hear.

"Ah, Kyungsoo, we're both heading to the same direction. Let me join you." Chanyeol said and stepped to stand beside him. 
"Thanks for letting us stay!" Chanyeol called back to Sehun and waved at him with an affectionate smile. Receiving a gentle smile from him in return as he stood at the door and waved goodbye at the two of them. 

 

 

Now it was just Chanyeol and him walking together quietly in this chilly starry night. Kyungsoo could easily conclude that this evening was marvelous. Everything about it was new and fun and great. He'd love for more experiences like this to appear in the future. With Sehun, Baekhyun, Jongdae, and of course, Chanyeol. Out of these four, only Baekhyun and Jongdae are confirmed to be his friends, or maybe he still hasn't come to the point where he was able to determine who was already a friend or not. 

But he still felt a deep connection forming between them all. A little squad of classmates who genuinely enjoy spending time with one another even outside of school's limitations. Today would have been a pleasant day even if none of this happened, but the fact that Baekhyun and Jongdae went out of their way to contact Kyungsoo and invite him to join along turned this evening into a memorable event that Kyungsoo would remember for years to come.

Even though it was quiet and peaceful, Kyungsoo's heart was beating faster than normal. He couldn't help but let the joy spread a buzz through his body.

"I'm so glad I came to this highschool with everyone." Kyungsoo said calmly. 
"That includes me too, right?" Chanyeol asked, looking forward far ahead at their path. The question caught Kyungsoo a little off guard. Who else would he mean? 
"Of course," Kyungsoo replied instantly and looked up at him. "You changed my life!" He said without a trace of a doubt. 

Chanyeol gave him a curious glance before starting to chuckle lightly. 
"You're completely exaggerating." He laughed some more before turning to look up at the sky.
"Sorry, I just keep teasing you. I wanted to hear you say it... So I'll be able to put my mind at ease." Kyungsoo wasn't sure what part of his words Chanyeol wanted to hear him say, or what he meant when he said that. But the rest of their way home, Kyungsoo also felt at ease.

He was able to make Chanyeol smile, and laugh. He was able to give just a little bit back of all that Chanyeol is always giving him at all times. Just thinking of Chanyeol kept bringing happiness to Kyungsoo. So the least he could do is attempt to bring even a drop of it back.

After seeing Chanyeol's pictures from the past, and hearing a whole lot more about how he used to be, he came to the conclusion that he's very lucky to be knowing the current Chanyeol. The Chanyeol that keeps surprising him, and making him feel like a real person with real thoughts and feelings. The Chanyeol that allows him to step closer and get to know him better, get to know new sides of him that not many people are as lucky as him to be exposed to. 

Like right now. Like the way Kyungsoo can see the stars shine through their reflection in Chanyeol life filled, beautiful eyes.

He learned so much about Baekhyun, Jongdae and Sehun, but mostly Chanyeol today. Getting to see Chanyeol's childhood pictures felt like a privilege he thought he'd never get. Chanyeol has a whole history, a past, stories and memories that Kyungsoo had never heard. He could only wish that in the future he will get to know Chanyeol well enough that these stories wouldn't be something new to hear anymore.

He was happy that there was this time for him in the world to take the essence of Chanyeol's existence as a whole, and learn how to appreciate it. Feeling his aura, his warmth, just by walking beside him. His heart filled with hope, that one day he'll become someone worthy of the same appreciation from others. Or maybe... He just wants the attention from Chanyeol? 
No. He shouldn't get ahead of himself like this. But for some reason, that thought seemed really nice all of a sudden.