chapter 4

Doshio

 

It's already nearing exam time. The whole class was feeling the consequences of the constant nagging on their teachers during lessons. But luckily, they finished the material, and now their lessons mostly consist of self studying hours between breaks. The teachers sometimes don't even come to the classroom at all.

Kyungsoo's never been an over the top student. His grades never shined or surprised anybody. He's pretty much on the lower spectrum of average. Of course he always tried doing his best, but studying takes a lot of time and effort and requires one to focus deeply on something that frankly, Kyungsoo didn't really care about. He knew his parents were proud of him for other things. These numbers didn't really measure a person's true worth.

As expected, Kyungsoo was struggling with solving questions from the book all alone during the self study lesson. He was stuck on this one problem for so long, he might as well just give up.
"Hey, need any help? Looks like this one's giving you a hard time." Chanyeol's voice came from beside him. Looking at him with a curious yet calm expression. Was Kyungsoo really projecting his struggles so much that Chanyeol was able to notice?

Kyungsoo nodded miserably in reply. Losing the little progress he's made about the question in his mind, because it was overflowing with thoughts about Chanyeol's kindness instead. Chanyeol then grabbed his own notes and turned his chair so he'd sit at Kyungsoo's table from the side. 
"I can totally understand why you're struggling with this one. It's kind of a trick question, see, you need to..."

Chanyeol began explaining to him how to solve it properly. He spoke slowly and gently, staying calm and waiting to see Kyungsoo's reactions patiently. Although his heart was beating quicker due to being the one Chanyeol's whole attention is dedicated to at the moment, Kyungsoo was able to remain focused on the task at hand. He was quite surprised that he finally understood what needed to be done. Not because Chanyeol's knowledge was unexpected, but because he never thought he'll be able to figure the thinking process behind solving such questions at all. 

Seriously, after Chanyeol has sat down beside him, Kyungsoo kept finding more and more things that Chanyeol are good at. If people were like meals, then Chanyeol would have been a whole entire restaurant's menu with his talents, skills, and abilities.

Kyungsoo was a little startled when he looked back up from the book and found both Baekhyun and Jongdae sitting around his table as well. Before Chanyeol turned to help him, both of them were just sitting and talking to each other quietly without bothering to use this lesson to study. But now all of a sudden they both look at the progress Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are making all intrigued.

"Aaah! I get it now!" Baekhyun called out at one point. Bringing his own notes to Kyungsoo's table and copying what has been done. Now instead of being a private lesson, it became a little tutoring session. Kyungsoo felt so much pride in the way Chanyeol was able to spread his knowledge to more people like that. The five of them, with Sehun half napping behind Kyungsoo, began studying together.

But after a while, more and more students began gathering around them and asking questions. It felt so odd. Sitting at his table and having this many classmates surrounding his table. He wasn't the center of attention, but being located right next to Chanyeol felt quite like he was. Kyungsoo got a little nervous, but hearing Chanyeol answer everybody's questions and hand out tips and tricks to solving more left him in too much awe to care about himself. Chanyeol's truly amazing. He's spending this time selflessly helping his classmates instead of using it to study on his own. 

Once the bell rang, signing the end of the lesson, almost the entire classroom was gathered around them. Everyone began chatting with each other in excitement, saying how they will be able to do much better now. Thanking Chanyeol with cheerful smiles and high fives. He was also grateful, Chanyeol approached him to help at first, and he wanted to express his gratitude as well.

"Chanyeol, thank you." Kyungsoo worded out, a true honest smile easily resting across his lips. Only after a few seconds of silence he realized that some students were staring at him. Especially Baekhyun and Jongdae who looked interested and mesmerized. 

Chanyeol, however, had his lower half of the face covered by him holding his notes up like he's trying to hide. His eyes were also averted sideways, and Kyungsoo noticed the the tips of his peeking ears were pink. 
"You-- You're welcome..." He mumbled while sliding his chair back to his own table and staring down at it with tightly shut lips. Kyungsoo was confused, to say the least.

School day ended faster than ever and Kyungsoo saw Chanyeol on his way home. Surprisingly, walking alone. This will be his chance, he could express his gratitude yet again by thanking him for the lesson. If Chanyeol was his teacher he would have been the top of his class at all times for sure. With a wave of confidence Kyungsoo rushed ahead and caught up to him, stepping beside him and receiving an immediate small smile of aknowledgement. 

"Hey~" Chanyeol hummed, slowing down his walking pace a little. Maybe he noticed that it's harder for Kyungsoo to keep up with the speed of his long legs. 
"I wanted to thank you again for the lessons today. You were a great teacher, and it helped me a lot." Kyungsoo said, all formalities always drop whenever it comes to Chanyeol. Normally Kyungsoo's nervous about approaching people like this. But now when he came to Chanyeol, he even smiled up at him warmly. 

"I'm glad I could help. I'm also glad that everybody came over to your table. Our classmates are pretty cool when you get to be around them." Chanyeol replied calmly. 
"It's all thanks to you. You noticed I was struggling." Kyungsoo nodded to make sure Chanyeol understands just how much of an impact he had today. How happy it made him.

Unexpectedly though, Chanyeol's expression turned from a calm relaxation into a serious mild frown. He stopped walking, causing Kyungsoo to cease his steps as well. Then before Kyungsoo could question anything, Chanyeol got closer in front of him, looking directly down into his eyes. A few students from the school, probably some of Chanyeol's friends started calling him from behind, but Kyungsoo heard one of the guys stop them. Saying "He's talking with someone, he'll come later." As they walked away. 

It turned quiet again, and Kyungsoo's whole attention was focused solely on Chanyeol standing up and close in front of him. His heart was making the flips in his chest, every cell in his body was aware of Chanyeol's existence. He looked up at Chanyeol, his eyes pierced through whatever protection he thought he had. 
"I have to admit... I was a little jealous... That even though I was the one teaching you... You smiled like that at everyone in class... I wanted that smile to be just for me... So," He spoke deeply and quietly, but then broke the intensity by smiling really softly down at Kyungsoo. 
"I'll take the one you just gave me instead."

Kyungsoo was stunned, both physically and mentally, from hearing Chanyeol's words. His mind crowded with unanswered questions and possibilities of misunderstood meanings and intentions. What was this all about? He couldn't form a single thought. Chanyeol then greeted him a bright goodbye and turned to leave, joining up on his friends who waited afar. Kyungsoo almost felt high from that moment on.

"So how was school today, honey? Were you able to focus on studying a little?" Kyungsoo's father asked him that evening after they've finished eating dinner together. 
"I did. A..." How is he supposed to explain who Chanyeol is? "Classmate of mine helped me out. It was fun." Kyungsoo answered, hoping the little pause he had in his words didn't raise any suspicion. Kyungsoo's mother smiled at him after sipping on her tea. 
"You know, it really does feel like you've had a good time today. I'm really glad about that." She lovingly. Which caused Kyungsoo to look down at the table shyly for a few moments. 

Is it really this obvious? Well, these are his parents, they surely can understand his behaviour better than anyone else. He really did have fun. He really has been so happy ever since before summer vacation. He's been so happy that he nearly forgot what it's like to feel the way he had been before... Before Chanyeol. It almost felt like he was using up all of his happiness resource in life right now. He could only hope that it won't run out too soon. 

 

 

The next morning has come. Kyungsoo was already sitting in class and preparing for the first lesson. Then he saw Baekhyun and Jongdae enter class. 
"Good morning." He greeted them politely, but this time instead of the normal greeting the two of them leaned in and examined him very suspiciously. Looking at his face from up close, their lips puckered into pouts and their eyebrows drawn in tightly. He could only stare back at their faces confused.

"Say~ You know in middle school I was such a playboy, I used to date every single girl and boy who wanted. I dated more than a hundred!" Baekhyun said an in exaggerated tone, his palm rested on the side of Kyungsoo's table. 
"And I used to be such a bad guy in middle school, I would hit students and make the teachers cry!" Jongdae said with his arms crossed, looking down at him with a raised eyebrow as if to try and scare him. 

Kyungsoo was quite puzzled, but these stories sure do sound interesting. 
"Ahh, is that so?" He looked up at them curiously and nodded lightly. If they'll be telling him more about it he'd definitely love listening. 
"That's pretty amazing, you two are so cool and kind. I don't have any interesting past stories..." Kyungsoo replied calmly, trying to recall if there has ever been anything interesting at all about his life as a whole. But nothing really came to mind.

"INNOCENT!" The two pointed their fingers and chanted at him simultaneously before laughing to themselves and settling down in their seats. 
"What the hell, how could we even think that..." Baekhyun mumbled. Kyungsoo wondered what this whole thing was about, but he has more important matters to think of.

"Ah! Baekhyun." He then called out, holding up a notebook towards him. "I wrote down the important notes for myself after Chanyeol helped us and taught us yesterday... So I copied them for you, since you said you're struggling too..." Kyungsoo became a bit shy through his own sentence and his voice weakened. But Baekhyun took it in his one hand like it's a treasure, while using his other hand to cover his eyes dramatically. His face turned upwards and his lips were quivering. 
"Aaahhh so sweet, two hundred percent innocent... I'll use it... Thank youuuu." He replied in a tearful voice. Kyungsoo felt quite accomplished, and very happy that Baekhyun accepted taking the notes he made for him.

"Seriously cant believe we even tested it." Jongdae said to Kyungsoo before laughing. Bringing back the confusion about the odd stories they've told before. 
"Don't worry about it, people just love talking way too much sometimes." He smiled at Kyungsoo reassuringly. Ah... Does that mean the stories were actually not true? Not that it matters, because Kyungsoo still adores them regardless of whatever's in the pasts.

"Jongdae?" Kyungsoo then remembered and looked towards him. "Hmm?" He tilted his head curiously. 
"I was thinking of watching some ghost movies, to learn how to be more like a ghost for everyone, can you.. Recommend me any?" Kyungsoo asked, full of hope. Jongdae stared at him for a bit before covering his own mouth, looking quite shocked. 
"Three hundred percent innocent...." He mumbled to himself before uncovering his mouth. What are they counting? Does it still have anything to do with what they said before?

"Listen, just because people tell you that you're like something, it doesn't mean you have to work hard to satisfy them. You should be yourself, not a false version of yourself just for their sake." Jongdae spoke with a confident smile. "But, I do know some fun movies about ghosts! I'll bring you the list tomorrow, since I'll have to find it when I get home today." He grinned, before the three of them turned to greet Sehun good morning as well. Seeing him wobble his way to his seat sleepily.

Shortly after, Chanyeol also entered the classroom and slid down into his seat. Kyungsoo's eyes were glued in his direction the entire time. He had... He had a different hairstyle today. His hair is parted sideways gently, so instead of full fluffy bangs, a part of his forehead is showing. And Kyungsoo couldn't pull his eyes away from how good it looked on him like that. He's so handsome... He'd look good no matter what hairstyle he has, or what clothes he wears. 

"Since when are you late?" Sehun asked, causing Chanyeol to sigh and pout at him. 
"Our crazy gym teacher stopped me in the hall and began telling me about the stupid dream he had about little people, and..." Kyungsoo really wasn't paying much attention to what he was saying at all. He wanted to look at him some more instead. Admire the art, the beauty.

"Little people? What the hell?" Sehun replied nonchalantly. 
"I know right, pretty sure he was drinking---..." Chanyeol suddenly stopped talking, and turned to stare back at Kyungsoo. Uh oh. Did he just get caught gazing at Chanyeol's forehead? Kyungsoo quickly turned to look away, half heartedly pretending he didn't just spend the last five minutes carving the sight of Chanyeol into his mind. But his heart thumped, and his mind kept flashing the image of Chanyeol's handsome new hairstyle. He wanted to see it again... Surely, Chanyeol didn't really catch him, right? So he turned to look at him again a moment later, only to see Chanyeol being the one to turn to look away nervously himself. 
Oh... He missed it.

Kyungsoo found that his heart began feeling warmer, and pumping a lot more lately, now that he'd turned happier than he's been before. He wondered if everyone he met felt the same. Whether the people around him actually enjoy spending time with him, as much as he does with them. 

Even if it's hard for him to be convinced, he's going to believe in them, and trust that the fact that Sehun keeps stealing bites from his lunch box means he enjoys his cooking. And that Baekhyun and Jongdae always turning their chairs to sit with him at his table and talk means that they are having a good time chatting with him. And that Chanyeol always suggesting activities, helping him, smiling at him and encouraging him, means that he's enjoying his company.

Until now, he would have never thought of anything like that. Since he was so used to being alone. But ever since the day Chanyeol decided to sit beside him, he got to experience so many new feelings he hadn't felt before. He wanted to remember these feelings well, to treasure these memories and gain more strength through them.

 

 

The days keep passing.

It felt like in the past few days, although there has been a massive increase in the measure of happiness around school, there's also been an increase in how fearful people are of him at school, too. Even his classmates who softened towards him a little are now back to the usual levels of fears as if nothing had changed. When Kyungsoo was walking through the halls it almost felt like everyone are looking at him from afar, actively staying away and avoiding him. Which is a different tense feeling from how it used to be. 

He was avoided for years, he knew what it's like, but lately it felt this distance is not just the usual. It was like like they're judging him. Stripping him off his very own image and plastering their own version of him upon him.

It became really tough walking around. Kyungsoo will be fine though, it must be just another stronger wave of cursed rumours spreading about him or something. Ah, he wished he could really fulfill his role and please everyone by summoning a ghost at some point.

"Hey! Come with me for a second." A voice snapped him out of his thoughts. It was Yerim, one of the Juniors who joined highschool this year. She's a pretty and popular girl in her grade. He was surprised when she suddenly pulled at his arm towards the side of the hallway near their classes. As they've gotten to a secure enough spot, she let go of his arm and looked up at him worriedly. Whoa, he felt pretty tall standing with her, being surrounded by the people in his own class really affected the way he perceived his own height.

"Lately... There have been a lot of rumours going around about you," Yerim began talking, sounding unhappy about the subject. "And... I'm a friend of Seungwan and Seulgi from your class, so I got a little worried. They they told me they had fun with you before... And I hate seeing nice people get trashed." She said, tugging to her own sweater's sleeve lightly. She seems really worried. 

Ah... Kyungsoo felt his heart warming at the thought that even a person who doesn't know him personally actually heard good things about him for a change, and is willing to talk to him even through there are all of the ghosty rumours spreading around. Maybe everyone found out that he is actually unable to summon ghosts that will haunt them at night. That must be it.

"I guess... Some misunderstandings are hard to clear..." Kyungsoo replied, rubbing the back of his head. He was a little worried that this might be a disappointment, but it's always better to be honest, right? 
"Misunderstanding? Ah... Of course it would be." Yerim looked extremely relieved as she sighed lightly and smiled at him gently.

"But, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. People around me are being really kind to me, so it doesn't get to me anymore." Kyungsoo continued with a small smile himself, as Yerim chuckled and placed her hands on her hips with renewed confidence. 
"Of course! You've really opened up a lot lately. I'm really glad to hear this. I knew it wouldn't make any sense. Baekhyun and Jongdae are your friends now!" 

Kyungsoo looked at her a bit surprised from the bold statement and quickly shook his head to decline. 
"Ah, no, they aren't my friends!" He denied immediately, which left Yerim herself looking surprised. There was a noise coming from the stairs behind them. It sounded a little like Baekhyun's voice, but Kyungsoo heard the teacher speak there instead, so he didn't mind it. 
"I mean, the two of them are friends, because you can tell when you look at them that their bond is very strong... They really care about each other. I... I don't think I can get so ahead of myself and call myself their friend." He proceeded to explain calmly. 

"But, I really like them. And I hope that if I work hard I will be able to become their real friend. When that day comes, I would be so happy." Yerim's face then lifted back up to a hopeful smile.
"I'm sure it will come quickly. I'll be cheering for you!" She shook her hands together as if to imitate a cheerleading dance, which made Kyungsoo's smile grow further. The two waved at each other before each went to their own class.

Later, as Kyungsoo entered the classroom, he found Baekhyun and Jongdae standing near their seats. They looked tense, and unhappy, unlike their usual smiling cheerful selves. Confused and worried, he approached them. Baekhyun noticed him and gestured towards the chair of Kyungsoo's seat. 
"Could you come over and sit?" He asked, sounding lifeless. Kyungsoo settled in his seat. Kyungsoo started wondering if it's just him, or if they really do look a little sad, even. What happened? He's started getting even more worried.

"This is really important, so please answer honestly." Baekhyun then said, placing both hands on Kyungsoo's table and looking down at him intensely. 
"I like--- I mean, we like you, Kyungsoo. How do you feel about us?" He asked, his eyes locked with Kyungsoo's, and so did Jongdae's, who's standing right beside Baekhyun and looking at him. 
"Do you like us too?" Jongdae asked quietly. 

There was silence for a while, Kyungsoo tried to read what's the meaning behind their serious expressions, but he simply couldn't understand what was happening. Just like with Yerim, being honest resulted with her understand what he means. So he should work with the same policy with these two people who are so important to him, right?

"I don't 'Like' you two... Rather than like..." He began, trying to think of the right words to explain just how meaningful they are for him, how much he truly loves and adores them, how thankful he is to them. But before he could even continue saying anything else at all, Baekhyun's hand left his table, and the two of them turned to sit at their own tables, facing the board at the front. 
"Ah. Thanks for your honesty." Baekhyun said, sounding even more lifeless than he did before.
"Sorry about that." Jongdae finished, and with that, they were left in silence again. 

Kyungsoo shook his head to himself, wondering if he managed to get through to the two of them so easily like that. He couldn't even finish talking, but maybe it was enough for them to understand their worth in his life. He should be extremely happy right now, shouldn't he? He had just, kind of, told them his feelings. But the atmosphere is still so tense. They clearly don't seem to be pleased with his feelings. Is there there anything he could do to make them feel better quickly? Seeing them acting so coldly like this just made his worries grow.

 

 

As he later wandered the halls between classes, he caught a conversation between a few students talking to each other. 
"...---and now he's getting so full of himself, making Baekhyun and Jongdae back him up. Even Chanyeol!" He heard one saying to the other. Whoa, that person sounded pretty influential. He wondered who could be a friend with all of his precious people at school. That person was probably not very good, if other students claim he's using them like that. He listened a little more, just out of curiousity.

"What? Seriously? That Doshio kid?" The other person replied, making Kyungsoo freeze up completely. Huh...? What...? What is that supposed to mean? Has he really the one that's been using them this entire time? 
"Yeah, but the dark rumours about Baekhyun and Jongdae are seriously getting out of control aren't they?" Another one spoke. What? Baekhyun and Jongdae have dark rumours about them? How? They are the most amazing pair of people he's ever---... Kyungsoo's mind clicked and did the one plus one connection. 

Is that why the two of them looked so sad before when they spoke with him? They were hurt by the rumours because of him. 
"It's all Doshio's fault. I feel bad for them. He walks around like he owns the place lately." One student said. 
"And Chanyeol too... He's going to lose his popularity and reputation if he keeps hanging out with that creep any longer." He heard them saying before they walked far enough for him not to hear them anymore. His heart was beating fast, out of fear, and sadness. It felt more like a spiked ball jumping and stabbing him from the inside.

This... This was all because of him? 

Baekhyun and Jongdae have always been kind to him. They're willing to be with him because of how amazing and kind they are. And yet... All he did was hurt the people around him? If he keeps talking with Chanyeol like that, will he cause harm upon him as well, just like he did to Baekhyun and Jongdae? Would it be better if he kept his distance from all of them? It will keep all of them safe that way, right?

Kyungsoo wasn't sure how he had passed through the night. But the next morning he was back to school again. A facility that turned from something he looked forward to arriving to, into a hell of faults shooting at him wherever he went.

He saw Baekhyun and Jongdae entering the school right beside him where their lockers with all material for classes are located. While looking down and quiet, he bowed to them both. 
"Good morning." They stopped in their step and stared at him. He could easily see that their eyes are red... Have they been crying at night? Because of him? 

"I'm sorry. You must have been sad because of me." He began. 
"What... Do you mean?" Jongdae asked cautiously. But as more students began entering the school, Kyungsoo's stress has risen, so he just shook his head and turned around, rushing away. He didn't want the two of them to be seen talking to him, because that is the reason all of these bad things are spreading about them. 

They looked far more hurt than Kyungsoo had thought. He has to find out who's spreading the rumours and stop them. He has to let them know that Baekhyun and Jongdae have nothing to do with him anymore, that they are amazing and kind people so no rumours should be spread about them. But... How is he supposed to find who's spreading these rumours, when every single student that sees him steps aside to stay away? He just wanted everyone to return to their usual selves, to their happy and cheerful selves from before he got involved with them at all. 

He was so selfish and delusional, thinking that somehow all this happiness he had received thanks to them would remain. That nobody will be hurt because of him. Maybe this is exactly the reason he has been alone all this time. Maybe everyone else knows something that he doesn't. Maybe... He actually is just a cursed being.

As his search through the school continued during the day, he was running around the entire time, trying to approach people and ask them questions. During the break, as he ran past the shaded path connecting the science labs with the homeroom classes buildings, he heard a familiar voice calling out to him and telling him to stop. It was Chanyeol, running towards him and reaching to stand behind him. 

"Hey, Kyungsoo, what happened? I saw you looked like you're going to start crying in class earlier--- And it feels almost like you're avoiding me." He said with honesty. No... Kyungsoo wished Chanyeol would have never looked at him to begin with. Why is he wasting his time bothering to pay attention to him? Kyungsoo will just end up hurting him... He should leave.

"Sorry... There's something I must do." Kyungsoo replied quietly between his effortful breaths.
"Did I do something to make you sad? Or to make you hate me? If i did, please tell me." Chanyeol pleaded, intensity in his voice. For once, Kyungsoo was glad that he couldn't see him. He felt so nervous his stomach was turning. 
"Y-You didn't do anything!" He responded right away. It's not Chanyeol's fault. It's his. "No matter... What happens in the future, I could never hate you. Never..." He added in a quiet voice. 

Sounds of approaching students started coming near. It was getting dangerous, he would rather not risk Chanyeol by being seen anywhere near him. 
"I'm sorry." Kyungsoo exhaled before quickly heading off, hearing Chanyeol calling his name behind him again as he disappeared out of his range. It hurt.

Ah, how much he's going to miss hearing his name being said by Chanyeol's wonderful voice. Chanyeol never avoided him no matter how bad things were before... And yet, Kyungsoo's now doing it to him. To his one and only source of courage and inspiraion. He knew he had to, otherwise things will begin falling apart for Chanyeol too, and Kyungsoo can't have that happen to him. He wouldn't take the risk if it puts Chanyeol in harm's way.

He didn't want to avoid him. It's just better to stay away, even if Kyungsoo wanted to continue being by his side and experiencing his blinding smiles and incredible aura of strength. His feelings were starting to mix up now, between what Kyungsoo wanted for himself, what he wanted to achieve, and what he needed to do for his precious people's sake. Is it really the right thing to do? To stay away from them? It's so confusing, he couldn't tell anymore. 

What is he supposed to do?

 

 

"...---soo! Kyungsoo!" His mother's voice woke him up from his sulk around the dining table. His apetite was gone ever since yesterday. 
"What's going on with you? You haven't taken a single bite!" She said with her usual worried expression. Kyungsoo's father also stared at him in the middle of his own bite. Ah, right, he has to be careful. He cannot let them know about what happened at school. They looked so proud and happy when he told them about how great things are going for him lately, that revealing this would only make them worry for no reason. He's got this. He will fix it somehow.

"Sorry, I keep daydreaming because we have an exam tomorrow." He mumbled quietly and placed his rice bowl down. "Oh hon. Good luck." 
"Thanks dad. Thanks for the meal." Kyungsoo replied and quickly left the table regardless of his parents' unsettled expressions about the fact that he hasn't eaten at all. He just couldn't bring himself to eat when he's worrying about how to face any of his close people at school the next morning. He wouldn't be able to look them in the eye.

But the morning came anyway, no matter how much Kyungsoo wished he wouldn't have to deal with any of what he had done. As he arrived to class he remembered that because there are exams today, they will be switching their seats to the original seat numbers that were given to them at the beginning of last year. According to the location of their name on the teacher's attendance list. 

The class was filled with students, so it took him a little bit to realize that the person sitting in his current seat is none other than Jongdae. He was just sitting there quietly without complaining. No other student would have agreed to that. With all the rumours about Kyungsoo spreading around, and the way he made Baekhyun and Jongdae so sad due to these stories, he was convinced he will have to deal with the same chaos that happened last year during exam periods. Where nobody agreed to sit at his table at the front of the class with the fear of being cursed by getting bad luck during the exams, and failing them.

Now that he thought about it... Jongdae, Baekhyun and even Chanyeol, never showed any signs of disgust towards him like all the rest. Maybe they were a little spooked from his unexpected appearances from time to time, but they've never or avoided him actively like the rest of the students in the school. They're so kind that even without knowing him at all they still treated him well.

His assigned exam seat was right at the middle of the class. Normally, he would greet his classmates good morning, or at least Jongdae and Baekhyun, but today he decided that as part of his plan to save them from being involved with him, he wouldn't. 
Sitting like this in a foreign spot, surrounded by the usual classmates who always fear him a lot, felt so different to sitting at his corner, that it's almost like he never sat there in the first place. Like nothing had actually changed at all. Like he was never actually there. Was it all just a dream?

He never wanted to cause anybody any harm. All Kyungsoo wanted to do was be of use to his fellow classmates. And yet now when things he does actually matter, he still hasn't found a proper way to clear up the misunderstanding about Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Chanyeol. Even if he will be able to find the people who actually are spreading the awful rumours and stop them from causing further damage, as long as he stays with them, he knew he will end up hurting them again somehow. 

Hurting such kind and amazing people... He felt his stomach twisting just from thinking about how awful of a person he was for that. Will he ever find a way to heal the damage he had done to their feelings? Until he finds an answer, he will continue as planned. Distance himself from everyone altogether, like nothing ever happened, because that's the only reasonable way to keep them safe.

All he could hope was that Baekhyun managed to use the notes from Chanyeol's little tutoring session well. Kyungsoo even managed to memorize a little ghost story, he would have loved to let Jongdae be the first to hear him tell the tale, but... That'd not possible anymore. And Chanyeol... He... 
Something suddenly fell on top of his exam paper. Something light and shiny. Kyungsoo snapped back to reality ever so slightly, just to realize that his tears are starting to drip down on his sheet. Is it because he thought about not seeing Chanyeol smile at him ever again?

Kyungsoo was so happy, hanging out with Baekhyun, Jongdae, Chanyeol, even Sehun... It's everything he always dreamed of. Will he be able to go on without them? It felt like he had completely forgotten just how painfully deep loneliness can pierce through one's heart. It was so cruel... Now that he knew what it felt like to be treated kindly, to be meaningful, even just a little, to have a value in somebody else's life. 

The fact that he knew what those feel like would continue to torture him from now on. He's going to want to achieve it again... It just felt so nice. How did he manage to survive all alone until they came into his life? How was he able to go on? He had forgotten his ways.

Somehow, Kyungsoo really wasn't sure how, but he managed to get through the exams. And it was a bittersweet feeling. He wouldn't have to stress about studying too much anymore, but... He wouldn't have anything, nobody to pass his free time with. He would have to do it all alone. Survive through the year until the next exams period that will keep him busy studying. He knew it's what he has to do, but isn't it so lame of him? Much like a machine waiting to be operated.

On his way home, he kept his eyes on the ground, it was easier to focus on his next step than to look at the sky and keep fantasizing about being able to reach the impossible. Out in the corner of his vision, he saw familiar shoes standing in a familiar spot at the curve of roads he passes by on his way to school every morning. Two times a week, through the entirety of summer vacation, these shoes were waiting for him at this exact spot. A slight raise of the head, and no more confirmation was needed. It was Chanyeol, standing and waiting for him there.

"I still dont understand. If you don't hate me... Then why are you avoiding me so coldly?" He asked, his voice fierce and intense as he stepped closer to Kyungsoo. Ending right in front of him to block his path. Kyungsoo's mind went blank for a moment, before he lowered his head, feeling how his entire body is beginning to tremble.

This is unfair. Chanyeol can't just come and stand so close to him like this. Doesn't he understand that this is dangerous? Doesn't he realize the source of all of his misery is right in front of him?

"Please... Don't talk to me." Kyungsoo replied in a weak voice. What is he going to say? What will he do? How is he supposed to explain to Chanyeol that even though he adores him more than anything that exists in his life, they must not interact? How is he supposed to stop himself from orbiting around his very own sun?

 

 

Kyungsoo inhaled sharply and opened his mouth to speak, to explain, to say anything at all, but all that happened were his tears bursting out with a little sob. Warm drops streaming down his cheeks. "I can't---! I'm trying but--- I can't say things that I don't really mean---!" Kyungsoo's words escaped between his sniffles from under the hands that are already covering his face. 

His heart was beating out of control. He couldn't take it anymore. 
"I'm sorry that I ruined everything--- That I'm making you lose your popularity---" He continued to mumble incoherently. But before he could finish, Chanyeol's hands grabbed onto his own and pulled them away from his face. Surprised from the sudden move Kyungsoo stared up at Chanyeol wet and wide eyed.

"I can't understand what you're saying like this, please speak clearly!" Chanyeol looked nervous, worried, upset, intense, directly into Kyungsoo's eyes. He couldn't do anything but whimper before looking down again. 
"People said that if I'll be around you, you'll lose your good reputation--- I can't let that happen..." Kyungsoo attempted to explain with trembling lips. 
"Huh?! Who told you that?!" Chanyeol kept holding tight onto his hands, they're big, and warm. 

"The spreading rumours---..." 
"Rumours?" Chanyeol's grip tightened even more. "Between the popularity and rumours... Where does my decision fit into this?" He then asked. Still sounding upset, but the question immediately shattered Kyungsoo's inner panic as he sniffed his tears in and stared up at Chanyeol in teary silence. 

"This is not something for you to decide. Only I can choose these things about myself. I'm going to do things the way I want to." Chanyeol spoke intensely, but slowly released Kyungsoo's hands from the grip he had on them. 
"If I want to speak with you, I will. If I hadn't wanted to speak with you, I wouldn't be doing it right now." His voice began to ease down, but his expression remained serious.

"I don't care about rumours. The only Kyungsoo I know, is the one standing in front of me... The one I can see with my own two eyes." Chanyeol continued, and Kyungsoo's tears were long gone. Only their remains rested as shiny trails at the corners of his eyes and at the edges of his cheeks. 

Chanyeol... He... He is the embodiment of everything Kyungsoo finds good in the world. People like him... Baekhyun, Jongdae... They elavate beyond shallow things like rumours and shifty looks. Kyungsoo had always dreamed of the day where someone he treasures will find him precious, too.

After a short silence, Chanyeol sighed thickly, then stepped aside and gestured his arm towards the path. 
"Let's go." He began walking, and Kyungsoo began digging into his bag to pull out his handkerchief, in an attempt to clear himself up a little. With the cloth in his hand, he looked up again, only to find out that Chanyeol actually stood in his spot and waited for him to begin walking as well, so they'd walk together. 

He wasn't sure what to think, everything was a blur after hearing Chanyeol's words. He thought he knew so well what needed to be done, that he hadn't realized he was actually being selfish for not giving any of them a choice in the matter.

They've made it to a bench located a little further up their path, and as Kyungsoo sat down and began properly wiping away the remains of his unexpected sobs, Chanyeol left and returned with a fresh bottle of cold juice from the vending machine nearby. 
"Have you calmed down a little?" He asked, sitting beside Kyungsoo and sipping on his own juice immediately. 

"Thank you... I was very thirsty." Kyungsoo admitted, and fiddled with his hand in his bag, taking out a few coins and handing them to Chanyeol right away, to pay back for the juice. 
"Thank you." He mumbled lightly again, before beginning to gulp on his juice eagerly.

He could hear, but couldn't see, while drinking, that Chanyeol was laughing. By the time he finally turned to look at him, Chanyeol was staring down at the coins in his palm with a tiny smile. It's crazy. Only moments ago Kyungsoo was in absolute despair, and yet now he feels like the world is bright again thanks to Chanyeol's smile. He's already way more cheerful than before, his heart had opened up a little. Hearing his honest words made him happy. Chanyeol basically said 'You can stay by my side.', just worded it differently.

Chanyeol then began inquiring some more about the situation, about the rumours and about why the atmosphere has been tense between Baekhyun, Jongdae and him for a while. Kyungsoo at this point really had nothing to hold back anymore, so he explained everything as best as he could.

"Ah, so that's why things have been so tense between you three..." He hummed after hearing the story. 
"How would you have felt if things were the other way around?" Chanyeol shot up the question at him, and Kyungsoo was a little taken aback. He hasn't even thought of a scenario in which it will happen. 
"What if Baekhyun, Jongdae and I would have started to distance ourselves from you?" 

Imagining these three precious people suddenly turning their backs towards him coldly started up a trail of fear in his heart. He jerked lightly, trying to shake these thoughts away from his mind. 
"I'd hate that---..." He responded quickly, feeling nervous just from the thought of it happening. Even though there is no way for such a thing to happen, because Kyungsoo is in no way popular and kind and loved like the three of them are. 
"I... Want to stay together..." He mumbled in addition, noticing a smile growing on Chanyeol's lips as he turned to look at him.

"I feel the same way. Maybe the two of them do too." He said calmly. In the end, it always comes down to how the other person feels. Which is something Kyungsoo had completely forgotten to take into account in his decision to distance himself from them. 

He was so worried about what everything would look like to others from the outside, that he selfishly assumed on his own that he knows the way they feel. He thought he was so right when thinking that their reputation within the school, the rumours, is what matters to them the most. Even if he would never imagine himself taking a place in anybody's list of priorities, he should have at least made sure that he gave them enough respect to share their true feelings with him, instead of deciding for them. 

"I don't know exactly how they feel, but I'm pretty sure they'd start worrying if you suddenly start avoiding them. At least I know that I was worried." Chanyeol admitted, looking at his bottle of juice for a bit. He's right, and Kyungsoo understood it. 
"I'm sorry." Kyungsoo replied quietly, holding his own empty juice bottle in his hands. 

"Never..." Chanyeol began. Huh? Is he not going to forgive him now? Has Kyungsoo really gone too far to turn the wheel again? 
"Never do it again. Absolutely never avoid me again. Even if you think what I say is boring, just stay and listen anyway. Got it?" Chanyeol continued, turning towards him with a wide grin of victory. 

Many people in Kyungsoo's life had told him to never come near them in the past. To stay away, to get lost, to apologize for his rude glare, to keep away. And there Chanyeol was, telling him that he must not stay away from him anymore? This is the exact opposite of everything Kyungsoo has been learning to do through years of isolation. How come his own sun wants to keep him so close? Kyungsoo couldn't do much but comply and nod, mind blank with the void that lies between unanswered questions.

But he knew now. He knew what needs to be done.

"I have... I have to tell Baekhyun and Jongdae." Kyungoo mumbled quietly. Will it be enough to just tell them? Will he be able to convey his feelings solely through words? It clearly didn't work well the last time they asked him something directly. He really wanted to tell them, though. He wanted them to understand how he really felt towards them. 

"Just don't forget that you already have someone to talk to, if you'd like." Chanyeol announced with a smile, leaning back on the bench and spreading his arms on the back of it while looking at Kyungsoo. 

"I will tell them everything tomorrow. I... don't want to just be their classmate. I want to become their friend---... Or--- I will try my best to become their friend." Kyungsoo tugged tightly to the edges of his own shirt as he watched Chanyeol get up and turn to continue walking. He joined in, the two of them began to slowly make their way back home together. Ah, he said it. He was able to say what he truly wanted. 

"Good," Chanyeol replied, hands in his pockets and his head turned towards the sky. A calm breeze flew through the air, and in Kyungsoo's eyes, Chanyeol looked like a character that came straight out of a love comic. He's so amazing. 
"I'm rooting for you." Chanyeol finished his sentence with a smile. With this encouragement, Kyungsoo felt like he could do anything. He is the luckiest person in the world.

With his heart back in balance, with the relief of knowing that Chanyeol is aware of the truth and has chosen to still allow Kyungsoo to freely interacting with him, he will build the strength to do the same with Baekhyun and Jongdae. The main victims of his years long legacy of being the target of rumours. He will do it. Against all odds if he has to.