Chapter 3

Doshio

 

"Sup." One student said to the other as they arrived to class 
"Hey, morning." another said, and soon the entire class fills with Kyungsoo's classmates greeting each other as they settle in their little gathering spots around the classroom. Kyungsoo, of course, was sitting quietly in his spot, preparing for the day. Isolated.

"Good morning~" A familiar voice came in his direction. Baekhyun and Jongdae walked into class and made their way towards their own seats. 
"Baekhyun, Jongdae... Good morning." Kyungsoo replied, heart pumping only slightly with light excitement. This is something he'd always wished for. Someone greeting him as they entered class, him and only him specifically. He's so happy.

But it seems that Baekhyun and Jongdae found it to be very amusing, perhaps because they didn't really understand how deeply meaningful it was for him at this point. The two stood by his table and stared at him for a while with entertained smiles. Why are they staring?
"Is there something on my face...?" Kyungsoo then asks, readying his hand to grab whatever it may be away. But instead Baekhyun smiles widely and begins chuckling. 
"What's with that face? You look so angry!" He said, receiving a smack to the back of his head by Jongdae. 

"A-Ah, sorry, I was just happy..." Kyungsoo admitted and looked down at his table unsure.
"What's with that, if you're happy just smile!" Jongdae explained instead. And in an attempt to please the crowd, Kyungsoo shifted his face into a smile. Except with his way of staring at people due to his weak eyesight, and the fact that it was slightly forced, it must have looked pretty bad, since the two of them exchanged a glance before smiling at him apologetically.
"Well, you dont have to smile if you dont want to---... Haha..." Kyungsoo quietly retrieved his smile and looked at the two of them sitting down around him instead.

Just then, the classroom's door opened again, and there stood Chanyeol, huffing after what looks like an intense short workout, which was funny especially because Sehun stepped into the classroom right behind him looking completely unphased. 
"Whaaa, barely made it in time...." Chanyeol sighed relieved, and at least half the class began chuckling and encouraging him for making it. 

Kyungsoo will need some time to get used to the fact that Chanyeol is actually sitting right beside him in class. He almost had a small shock when he realized Chanyeol was settling into that seat and smiling at him.

"Good morning." The two chanted towards each other at the same time. Chanyeol happily, and Kyungsoo nervously. It made him feel a little buffled for a second. 
"Hey, you! Say good morning too!" Chanyeol then called out towards Sehun. 

Kyungsoo quickly turned around to look at him. Surprisingly, Sehun seems to have complied, but instead he hits Kyungsoo with an unexpected question. 
"What is your name?" 
"Hey! What do you mean what's his name?! Shouldn't you know the names of your classmates by now?!" Baekhyun barked back at him instantly before pouting bitterly. 
"It's okay--! I'm do Kyungsoo." Kyungsoo quickly calmed the spirits  and bowed his head lightly.
"I'm Oh Sehun." Sehun hummed with an understanding nod, then rested his head on his palm on top of the table and stared out the window. 

This was so new, and strange, how much his morning had changed and it has only been a day after Chanyeol and everyone else moved to sit around him in class. It felt like he was living a completely differet life. Classmates actually interacting with him is so refreshing and... Fun. It was really fun to be surrounded by people he wasnt afraid to speak with. And all of this was thanks to Chanyeol's brave choice of moving to sit beside him. How kind can he be... How thankful and happy Kyungsoo was right now.

"Listen, my friend who adopted the little kitten we found asked me to help him find a name for him... But I can't think of anything good. Do you have any ideas?" Chanyeol then began talking to him with a small smile, fiddling with a few strands of hair between his fingers. Oh wow. Did he really ask Kyungsoo such an important question? Such a big thing that will influence the life of someonen else? It really caught him unexpectedly, since when do any of his thoughts matter? Since when does anybody ask him for his opinion about anything at all? Chanyeol really is the best person in the whole world. "Uhmm..."

"Vivi." Sehun suddenly said. Both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo turned around to look at him, and he was just staring back at them quietly, as if it was completely obvious that he was somehow a part of this conversation. 
"What kind of name is that... Plus, isn't that the name of your own dog?" Chanyeol's face puckered into a pout as his eyebrows curved inwards like a child. 
"Yes." Sehun replied shamelessly, leaving the two silenced for a bit before Chanyeol sighed and rubbed his head.

"Why would someone name their pet after your pet?" It looked like Sehun's gears of thoughts began spinning in his brain from the way his expression turned into confusion, and then confidence. 
"Because Vivi is an inspiration, a role model, a perfect being---" 
"Yeah, yeah we heard you." Chanyeol cut him off. Not before Kyungsoo managed to sneak a chuckle under his breath though. The way Sehun described his dog sounded like the way Kyungsoo would describe Chanyeol.

Maybe Chanyeol was more of a puppy than he realized. Kyungsoo's imagination took the liberty to insert new images into his head. As class proceeded, he kept looking at Chanyeol's side profile, like he always does, except this time he had imagined him with a wagging dog tail and a pair furred ears. He could see it so vividly he had to avert his eyes and cover his face a little from getting himself exposed. It was... So cute. He's a puppy. Chanyeol definitely is a puppy.

 

 

At the end of the lesson the teacher asks for volunteers to complete yet another task after school ends. Something about filling out papers, Kyungsoo didn't pay too much attention to it, with his mind occupied in just how much of an adorable puppy Chanyeol is. 

But the classroom went into chaos with everyone complaining that they didn't want to do it, and trying to convince the teacher that it was part of their job to do the task. Kyungsoo realized that this was another gifted chance to become useful for them once again. He'd hate it if any of his classmates had to suffer doing something they didn't like.

It'd be the best if he'll do it himself and provide help for both the teacher and students. So he volunteered to take the task by raising his hand and mumbling a quiet "I'll do it." The other students were appeased, but the teacher didn't look pleased with it. 
"Thank you, but I'd like to see some spirit of helpfulness coming from students who aren't only you this year." The teacher said in a heavily judgemental tone, glancing over the other students' faces to spot a valid target to choose instead. 

Kyungsoo couldn't believe it. After Chanyeol mentioned that fact last year, it seemed that even the teachers have taken that fact in consideration. It was true that it might seem unfair, since Kyungsoo always ended up doing these tasks. But without doing them... What other way will he able to become useful to his classmates?

He can't see ghosts, he can't talk to supernatual beings, he's unable to curse anyone... He isn't as incredible as everyone thinks, and it'd be very disappointing if he wouldn't make up for it by doing other things. Like these tasks.

The classroom was as silent as a classroom can become, Kyungsoo could see the students in the rows in front of him fidgeting uncomfortably, avoiding making eye contact with their teacher in fear of being elected. 
"Well, since we're a fair class, I'll be choosing one of you at random, unless someone else offers to help." The teacher claimed. Resulting in many murmurs spreading between desks.

Kyungsoo started feeling awfully sad and disappointed in himself, that this chance might be taken away from him, and he wouldn't be able to be useful for his classmates. So in a last attempt to redeem his value points in his classmates' eyes, he started raising his hand again. Please, the teacher should just let him do it. It isn't even that awful. It'll benefit everyone if only---

Another hand raised up within his field of view, and the whole class reacted with a mixture between gasps of surprise and a sigh of relief.

It was Chanyeol's hand up in the air, looking calm and determined. 
"I'll help. It'll be done faster with two people anyway." He said and leaned back in his seat. Does Chanyeol know how important these tasks are to Kyungsoo? Is he trying to convince the teacher to still allow Kyungsoo to take a part of them? Or is there another reason? Kyungsoo wasn't sure, but he was nonetheless surprised. 

Quickly after, he heard how people in the class began half heartedly murmuring as well. 
"Hey... If Chanyeol does it I don't mind helping too..." 
"Yeah, I'll do it as well."
"I can give a hand if it's needed." Nearly the entire classroom started selflessly offering their help. Kyungsoo was shocked by how quickly everybody changed their minds. Suddenly they all want to do it? They were so adamant with their stance against it before. But just because Chanyeol said he'd do it, they all suddenly want to be a part as well? That's the perfect example of the good influence Chanyeol has on people right there, he's seriously amazing.

"You'll do it with me then?" Chanyeol turned to him, looking serious. Although so many people around them have offered their help, he chose to ask Kyungsoo to be a part of this with him. Somehow, it became way more dramatic than Kyungsoo had anticipated. He nodded quickly.
"Yes." And all Chanyeol did was smile back widely, with satisfaction. Kyungsoo felt like he's living somebody else's life from how good this day is going so far.

Now won't only will he get to be of use for his classmates and take part in completing the task given, but he'd be doing it with Chanyeol as well? He did feel a little bad for having not insisted harder on doing it on his own, while knowing that Chanyeol's responsibilities and duties towards the people around him are probably being damaged by confirming to this request.

 

 

During their little break time between lessons, Jongin, the popular student in their equivalent grade, an equal to Chanyeol when it comes to being surrounded and loved by people, suddenly came into their classroom. Kyungsoo was simply sitting and talking with Baekhyun and Jongdae who turned around in their chairs to face him.

Like some supermodel, Jongin strutted straight towards Kyungsoo. His serious facial expression made Kyungsoo freeze in his spot and prevented him from even turning his eyes away. Jongin made it all the way right beside Kyungsoo's table, incredibly and unexpectedly close to him. He leaned in towards him, and made eye contact with him for what Kyungsoo counted in his heart as about thirty whole seconds.

Kyungsoo felt like he couldn't even breathe. The distance between their faces were mere centimeters. He could feel Jongin's exhale brushing lightly against his chin. He was too shocked to think of anything other than the face in front of him. Jongin looked... Flawless. A god-like sculpture of human's peak beauty.

It was a whole different genre of beauty from Chanyeol's, and although Kyungsoo doesn't know him one bit, and certainly is not looking up to him like he admires Chanyeol, his heart was still thumping fast in his chest.

Everyone in class were staring at them, even a few people from other classes who were peeking from the door and hallway windows. These thirty seconds felt like forever in Kyungsoo's slowed down shocked mind. Just then Jongin finally blinked and straightened his back, breaking the tense unexplained lengthy eye contact session between them.

He turned around and placed his hands on his hips victoriously. Almost like he had just achieved something pride worthy. Kyungsoo was beyond confused. 
"Haha, see this? I did it." Jongin said with confidence before proudly walking away, still looking like the school is his runway, leaving the classroom as if nothing happened. A trail of curious students followed after him. The classroom felt more vacant than it was before.

Kyungsoo turned to look at Baekhyun and Jongdae questioningly, his mind blank with no hint of an idea of what just happened, and why. What was the point of staring into his eyes for this long? Is it something worthy of the amount of respect it seems he had gained by doing so? 
"What the hell is he thinking..." Jongdae mumbled while rolling his eyes. 
"Hey, maybe if nothing bad happens to him it could spread some good rumours, instead of the curses and all that." Baekhyun replied with a shrug.  
"So stupid... But might be true..." Jongdae agreed, coldly. Kyungsoo wasn't really sure what they meant, but the mention of curses reminded him of his 'Doshio' reputation. Perhaps it had something to do with that.

Shortly after, in an unexpected move, Chanyeol turned to Kyungsoo in an attempt to make eye contact with him as well. Is this a competition? Unlike Jongin's sharp intense expression though, Chanyeol's face looked like a puppy who's trying to get his loved one's attention out of jealousy.
Now being stuck on the puppy imagery for Chanyeol again, Kyungsoo stared back at him too. Visualizing yet again how he'd look with flopping ears poking out of his head. His normal ears already look like a puppy's anyway.

Kyungsoo blanked out in his thoughts, and it seemed that Chanyeol staring into his eyes started well. Except after several long seconds, Chanyeol suddenly dropped his head into his arms on the table. Kyungsoo blinked at him.

"Ahaha, today's really hot, huh...?" Chanyeol mumbled defeatedly instead, his ears turning bright pink. Is he... Shy? Chanyeol seemed very nervous, and Kyungsoo was, rightfully, very confused. 
"Yes...?" He responded with uncertaincy while wondering why making eye contact with Chanyeol felt so different from making eye contact with Jongin who did it a moment ago.

Jongin's whole presence is pretty overwhelming. If Chanyeol was the school's charming prince, then Jongin is the school's y playboy. Not because he actually messes around with any people when it comes to contact beyond just friendships, Kyungsoo didn't think so, but his appearance was simply breathtaking no matter who you are or what you find attractive.

When Jongin looked in his eyes, Kyungsoo felt a cold stress wash over him. But when Chanyeol did, it felt... Nice. It was warm and pleasant. Actually, Kyungsoo was pretty surprised from himself, and the fact that he hasn't imploded as a result from the long stare. He only knew Jongin by observing him from afar. Unlike Chanyeol, the two of them aren't in the same class, and never really got to interact properly. In fact, this little staring session was the most contact ever made between them.

The subject has been changed fairly quickly by the pair sitting and talking in front of him, so Kyungsoo didn't need to dwell in that any longer. He still couldn't shake a strange feeling, however. Was he just some weird mean of entertainment for all of these high ranked students in the school?

He came from being an invisible nuistance of a cursed ghost boy, into having a bunch of students actually pay close, almost intimate attention to him. It's like being on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Of course he couldn't truly doubt their good intentions, and all of this must be coming out of pure curiousity. Maybe he's just not used to this whole, existing, business.

 

 

During lunch break later that day, since Baekhyun and Jongdae are sitting right in front of him, he got to hear the conversations that the usual students of his class are having. It was quite new and interesting. A bunch of classmates gathered near the pair's seats to talk with them. The subjects kept changing quickly, Kyungsoo could barely keep up. It began with teachers, moved to video games, music, and that's when he lost track.

Until somehow, the subject of the conversation became Chanyeol, who was at the time far enough for them to speak freely without him hearing. It came about probably because one of the guys talking was Chanyeol's classmate during middle school. Whoa, that means this person knows a lot more about Chanyeol than the others. Kyungsoo wondered if maybe even Jongdae or Baekhyun were a larger part of Chanyeol's past, too.

He listened carefully to the discussion, feeling a little bad for eavesdropping, but it was way too interesting to miss. He wanted to know everything there could possibly be known about Chanyeol. Plus, it wasn't intentional, he just sat there, which was why he could hear it too.

The guy spoke about how Chanyeol has always been the same. Attracting everybody's attention, being loved by all, and spreading happiness with every step he took. Ah... So he really was this amazing even in middle school. Kyungsoo didn't know what to expect, but he certainly wasn't surprised to learn that. The guy continued and recalled how everyone, especially the girls, started fighting over him. How many tears were shed because none of them knew how to handle the fact that Chanyeol was just this good. Again, this wasn't particularly news for Kyungsoo. Who by a single glance at the way Chanyeol behaves in highschool, could tell he'd be breaking hearts whether he wants to or not.

Everyone listened with interest as he proceeded talking. He explained how, because Chanyeol's fans noticed he hated the fact that they were all in pain, they came up with the agreement that they should all just love him together from afar. Instead of ruining each other in the process due to jealousy or competetivity. 

This time, Kyungsoo was surprised. He was so amazed by the fact that Chanyeol was already so selfless and kind back then that he made other people come to such an amazing positive agreement about him even without him being involved in it. Just because it's about him, and because he has such good influence on others around him. He was so loved that other people began to spread love themselves around him.

"That's the reason so many people moved to this highschool last year..." The classmate said with a shrug. 
"Whaaa that's actually crazy. What, people like her?" Jongdae asked, being a part of the intentional conversation and all. He pointed at a girl that's standing and talking with Chanyeol by the classroom's door. Kyungsoo has seen her around school before. She's from the other class, like Jongin. 

"I still can't believe how popular he is. For people to go this far..." Baekhyun teased, resting his head on his palm while staring in Chanyeol's direction. These students actually followed him around this tightly, joining the school just for the sake of having him there. He must leave such a strong impression on people if they decide to go this far. As expected of Kyungsoo's role model and muse.

"Wasn't it kind of similar to Jongin, though? Didn't he attract quite a crowd from his own middle school to join here too?" Another classmate asks. Which surprised Kyungsoo not because he didn't expect it to be a fact, but because of Jongdae's cold reaction to it. He rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue impatiently. Even Baekhyun seemed to be startled from the sudden change in demeanor.

A short while later, the group that gathered around their table had greeted the pair goodbye and scattered around to do their own things. Which left Baekhyun, Jongdae and Kyungsoo alone again. If they count out Sehun who was half napping behind Kyungsoo and wouldn't be able to hear their conversation even if he tried.

"JD, you looked pretty bummed at the mention of Jongin. You got beef with him or something?" Baekhyun asked teasingly, smiling until he was met with Jongdae's unphased cold expression.
"Actually, I do." He replied as a matter of factly. Both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo silenced down, hoping it'll make him start talking.

"Just, keep it between us." He sighed and shifted his position in the chair a little bit to sit comfortably. Oh, this is going to be quite a story. Baekhyun's subtle anticipation is obvious even though he's trying hard to look neutral about it. Both of them are going to learn something new about Jongdae, it seems.

"Jongin and I are half brothers." He began, already causing both Baekhyun's and Kyungsoo's eyes to open wider. 
"We only found it out at middle school's graduation. You know how that goes, when the ceremony is over, everybody's walking around and talking with the teachers, all that jazz." Jongdae waved his hand dismissively.

"I came around and ended up talking with one of my favourite teachers on my own. Now that I graduated, he was talking to me freely, and with no authorative barriers and restrictions. We joked about how old I've become, and then he asked me about my mother. I was confused, obviously. Apparently he taught her before, which sounded strange, because my mom wasn't born in his town." He continued, the atmosphere around him slowly clouding.

"So like a good boy I brought my mom with me and introduced her to him. They greeted normally, but then he turned to me again and asked where she was." Jongdae exhaled, his eyes turning down to the table. 
"After the woman I thought was my mother froze in surprise, he even went ahead and said 'I would recognize her everywhere, that's how I knew you were her son. She had exactly the same lips as you.' like I wasn't shocked enough to discover that fact already." Kyungsoo could feel the tension rising. Strong emotions being emitted by Jongdae created a stressful electricity in the air.

"It was absolutely afterwards. When we got back all four of us sat down and talked. My father said that my real mom died giving birth to me. And if that wasn't enough, he said he had actually been cheating on her for years with Jongin's mother." Jongdae's voice was sharp, yet rasped and cracked a little through his words. It looked like he was either ready to cry, or laugh, but neither happened.

"So when my real mom died, Jongin's mother divorced her husband, already pregnant by my father, and he married her right away instead. Just like that." Kyungsoo could feel the electricity creating sparks of anger around them. The amount of pain Jongdae's feeling right now projects in his voice, and Kyungsoo's heart felt tight in his chest. This sort of story is something nobody could have done anything about. And yet the truth is still unforgivingly hurtful.

"I couldn't even look at either of them anymore after that. My father cheated on my mother even before I existed. Like, Jongin and I are in the same damn grade?! Ugh." Jongdae clenched his teeth as his eyebrows furrowed. 
"So Jongin is the son of my father, and his mother, and I am the son of my father, with no mother. The three of them are the perfect family. Connected by blood and all that, while I'm the one being the outsider. I'm only half of what they are, and always will be." His voice was shaking as he spoke, but then he exhaled and balanced himself back a few layers of anger.

"Clearly, I was unhappy about it. I disowned Jongin as my brother, and we started school as strangers. He agreed to pretend we don't know each other. You know, it . I was so damn attached to his mom, but whatever. We fought a lot and all that mess. I was and still am barely at home anymore. Lucky I got somewhere else to stay." He sounded like he had calmed down his anger back to the neutral state of normal. He shrugged his shoulders before stretching his arms up, and then resting against Kyungsoo's table.

"Anyway, guess that's my beef with him for you." Jongdae nudged Baekhyun's ribs with his elbow. Both him and Kyungsoo couldn't say much after hearing this truth. It was quiet for several moments. In which Kyungsoo felt heavy, but also lucky, and grateful, that Jongdae was willing to open up this much in front of him and share his story so truthfully. He really didn't feel worthy, but being entrusted with somebody's inner truth is honorable, and knowing that Jongdae's dealing with this much chaos behind his pleasant, gentle and kind exterior, gave his actions and words even more meaning in Kyungsoo's eyes.

Baekhyun after the silence, raised his eyes and made eye contact with Jongdae. He simply nodded, but it spread a small smile across Jongdae's lips. Like the two of them could understand each other without saying a single word. The connection between them must be so deep and true. Kyungsoo could really feel how the atmosphere was clearing, when the next thing that happened was Baekhyun changing the subject to something else silly to lighten the mood.

These two really know how to take care of one another, it seems. Kyungsoo could only be swept away from the awe he felt towards them. He is so lucky that they decided to sit near him and include him with them. 

The heaviness of Jongdae's truth faded away quickly, and Kyungsoo was able to proceed with his day without giving it too much thought. It was none of his business, and it wasn't his place to get involved in something that has nothing to do with him. He was just lucky enough to be exposed to a deeper part of Jongdae's already incredible being.

 

 

Eventually, all lessons have come to an end. And as expected from a student who's used to being given tasks after school hours, Kyungsoo remained in the class. He'd already gone to the teacher's office to receive the papers from his teacher, and made it back to class. He was looking forward to doing it all through the day because Chanyeol and him agreed on doing it together after they volunteered.

It could have been a great time spent together. Well, at least for Kyungsoo it would have been great, because then he'd get to spend more time with Chanyeol. The other way around might have not been as expectant as him, because it seems that Kyungsoo will be doing it alone after all. Chanyeol was nowhere to be seen. He wasn't need the teacher's office, and even his bag wasn't in class anymore.

Which was fine, really, Kyungsoo didn't mind. Just the thought of Chanyeol going as far as wanting to do this boring task with him was already enough to keep him smiling to himself. In fact, he was glad he'd able to do it on his own, so that in case Chanyeol had anything else he wanted to do, he wouldn't have to cancel it. He wouldn't have to deal with the consequences of not doing it either, so it's good.

Kyungsoo worked on it for quite a while on his own. It was fairly easy. Just rewriting the same things again and again on several papers for each of the teachers in school. His mind was filled with thoughts about Chanyeol, but also a little bit of Jongdae and Jongin.

Suddenly the classroom door opened, bringing Kyungsoo back to reality after zoning out through completing the repetetive task. Chanyeol was standing at the entrance looking pretty shaken up. 
"Kyungsoo!" He called to him while walking in quickly and sitting backwards on the chair in front of his table, Jongdae's usual seat. Oh, Kyungsoo's heart jumped slightly from hearing his name being said by Chanyeol yet again.

"I finally made it, so let me help out. I said I would." Chanyeol insisted and looked down at the papers Kyungsoo was filling out. Kyungsoo hasn't realized himself that he had actually already got most of them were filled. Papers sitting in a neat pile to the side, while he was just finishing to fill the one before last. 

He's so touched. Kyungsoo was convinced he'd be spending this entire time alone, but Chanyeol came after all with the intention of helping him. There must be a million things keeping Chanyeol busy at all times, yet he still followed suit up to his own word and came to complete the mission with Kyungsoo like they'd said in class. 
"Thank you." Kyungsoo nodded at him while looking down at the papers. Oh... Maybe... Maybe he was too eager to finish it. He was too distracted, thinking about Chanyeol the whole time, that now there's barely anything left for Chanyeol to do.

"What... You already finished all of them...?" Chanyeol looked nearly devastated as he pulled out the last unfilled sheet and stared at it with a pout. 
"I feel so bad. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back." He sighed and placed it down on the table towards himself, then without warning placed his palm over Kyungsoo's to pull the pencil out of his fingers' grip gently. 

Kyungsoo stiffened in his spot for a second from the unexpected touch before quickly pulling his hands off the table and staring at the way Chanyeol was writing everything down. The way his hand moved, the way his fingers held the pencil... It might be boring for most, but ksoo found it fascinating. He could only watch with silent admiration. Anything Chanyeol did was godly in his eyes.

"Thank you." Kyungsoo mindlessly said again. 
"Don't thank me, I said I would do it---" 
"I mean... Thank you for everything. I had a great time today thanks to you. It almost felt like I was living in someone else's stead." Kyungsoo explained instead. He didn't know what took over his heart to speak out like this. When they were alone it felt like he didn't need to pretend, or hold anything back.

"I didn't even do anything... Maybe everyone else are waiting for the right opportunity to get to know you, too." Chanyeol replied with a small smile across his lips. Somehow, Chanyeol managed to fill him with so much hope. 
"Let me finish this. I'll bring it back to the teacher's office, so head back home for today." Chanyeol spoke again, starting to write some more on the paper, before stopping and turning his head up to look at Kyungsoo, who didn't even realize he was staring at Chanyeol so deeply that he forgot to respond. 

After their eyes connected for a few long seconds, Chanyeol jerked a bit surprised and quickly dug back into the paper, his hair hiding the expression on his face. But Kyungsoo noticed that his ears began turning pink again. He wondered if Chanyeol might be getting sick.

"Yeah. I will head home now." Kyungsoo then finally said. He grabbed his bag and stood up, bowing down to Chanyeol deeply before heading out of the classroom. 
"See you tomorrow." Chanyeol called behind him, and even though Kyungsoo didn't turn back to look, he could hear that Chanyeol was smiling as he spoke. A gentle feeling of butterflies flying inside him started spreading at the center of his body. Ah... He is so happy. Chanyeol sounded delighted about the fact that he's going to see him again tomorrow... This is more than he ever imagined Chanyeol would feel towards him.

As he stepped out of the classroom however, he found two of his classmates standing there and looking at him surprised. They're holding their bags too, which means they planned to go back home as well. Seungwan and Seulgi.

With the encouragement of Chanyeol's words about others trying to find the right time to try and connect with him, Kyungsoo turned to them and bowed lightly. 
"W-Would you like to walk home with me? At least until we exit the school---...?" He asked, feeling nervous. As he rose up he found that the two girls were looking at him with fear in their eyes. Oh, he failed again... Maybe this wasn't the right time yet. He shut his mouth tightly, bowed once more as an apology, and quickly turned to walk away on his own instead.

"Hey! It's rude to turn your back to people like this... You didn't even wait for our answer!" Seungwan called out to him with a small smile, and Seulgi nodded beside her. "We'd love to walk with you... It's just, are you angry?" She proceeds to ask, and Kyungsoo stared at them surprised. 

"Angry? No, not at all." The beloved class president and her trusty helper and friend then began laughing softly. 
"Ahh! that's a relief... You always try to greet us in the mornings, but you look so angry that we were sure you hated us." She said and stepped forward, standing next to him, as Seulgi smiled and stepped to his other side. Somehow, with Kyungsoo sandwiched between them, they began walking.
"Oh! There was actually something I wanted to tell you. The way you played the ghost at the park was so good! I honestly thought you were a real one. I hope you weren't too scared out there on your own." They began having a pleasant and calm conversation with him as they walked. Chuckling, smiling and gesturing with their hands. Until they reached the school's gate.

Kyungsoo felt quite overwhelmed from receiving this sort of attention, especially from none other than the class president and her right hand. He always knew they were nice girls, even if they easily got scared when he wanted to greet them in the mornings. It was his way of showing his respect and gratitude for their roles in class. 

He had a surprising amount of fun talking with them, it felt good. They spoke to him like they do with all the other classmates. And showed no signs of fear at all. If anything, they almost began fawning over him from time to time. Though the path to the school's gate was short, and came to an end. As they parted paths Kyungsoo couldn't help but think about how thankful he was to Chanyeol yet again for the rightly timed encouragement about the possibility of other classmates wanting to get to know him. It's almost like Chanyeol knew this would happen. The timing was incredible.

Upon reaching the gate the pair of friendly classmates waved him a cheerful goodbye with their parting, and Kyungsoo headed the other way to his home. Normally, he'd be seeing Chanyeol standing and talking with who knows how many students who simply don't want to stop being in his company even for a single day. But now that it was quite late, the paths are empty. Honestly, Kyungsoo could relate. He also, has a hard time accepting that he has to part with Chanyeol between school mornings.

Shortly after he's gone on his path however, Kyungsoo heard a familiar voice calling his name. As he turned he found out Chanyeol was running behind him, trying to catch up to him at the street. Did he run and hurry up this much just because he was hoping for a chance to meet up with Kyungsoo again? No. Kyungsoo shouldn't allow himself to be this conceited. 

"You really did everything! I finished it so quickly... So glad I could catch up to you!" Chanyeol smiled down at him. Kyungsoo was allowed to at least hope, just a little, that he can trust Chanyeol's words instead of his own selfish greed. Right? If Chanyeol said he was glad to catch up to him, so he must really mean it. He would have been glad to catch up with anybody else as well, of course. 

Kyungsoo nodded lightly, making sure his hopes won't inflate his behaviour. 
"I heard someone talking outside the classroom after you left, was that you?" Chanyeol then asked, running a hand through his hair to pull it back. He's probably hot after rushing towards Kyungsoo like this. But he's most definitely hot for looking, well, like himself. He looks good. He's so handsome.

"Yes, Seungwan and Seulgi were there. We talked until we had to split." Kyungsoo replied, smiling a bit. The warm feeling that he felt while talking to them still lingered a little. It only spreaded more as he thought about how pleasant it felt. 
"Ah! I'm glad!" Chanyeol smiled.
"It's thanks to you that I was able to gather the courage." Kyungsoo explained while looking down at his feet. There's so much Chanyeol has done for him already, words simply aren't enough to show his gratitude. 

"Kyungsoo, haven't you realized yet?" Chanyeol asked after a moment of silence. Kyungsoo turned to look up at him. He loved it when Chanyeol said his name, it rang so well with his voice. It rang so well inside the depths of Kyungsoo's heart. 
"Baekhyun, Jongdae, Sehun, Seungwan and Seulgi... They didn't come to you because of me. It's because they saw how hard you were trying. You're way better than you think, let yourself shine." Chanyeol continued calmly, dazzling Kyungsoo with an honest yet confident smile.

Huh...? All this time ksoo was convinced that the only reason anybody had approached him in the last few days was thanks to Chanyeol. How come only after Chanyeol began interacting with him, everyone are suddenly doing the same? Is it really true that any of this could have happened even without Chanyeol? 

He wanted to believe him, but it was really hard to imagine anything changing at all if it wasn't for Chanyeol's own influence and involvement in his life.

It was quiet for several moments as they've walked beside each other. A fair distance between them. Kyungsoo was busy in his own thoughts, looking ahead at the surface on which his feet will step.

"You see, Kyungsoo," Chanyeol spoke once more, saying Kyungsoo's name again. Ah... It sounded really nice. 
"What encourages me to keep going on... Is you."
Kyungsoo's eyes widened at this revalation. Chanyeol had admitted it so honestly and seriously, Kyungsoo started doubting his own ears. How could he say such a thing like that? Could it really be...? Does Kyungsoo actually inspire Chanyeol just like Chanyeol himseld inspires others, including Kyungsoo? He never thought of that. But... If this really is the truth, he would be incredibly happy. 

 

 

"Eh~ Not bad! I heard that you talked with Seungwan and Seulgi yesterday? They seem to have had a lot of fun chatting with you!" Jongdae announced first thing in the morning after. Only then shooting his hello while taking his seat in front of Kyungsoo with a lazy smile. Baekhyun was already sitting down on his table towards the two of them, also with a smile.

"It's thanks to you two." Kyungsoo replied sincerely. "Huh?" Baekhyun's eyesbrows rone on his bangs covered forehead. 
"They came and spoke with me because they kept seeing you two doing the same... So thank you." Kyungsoo further explained and nodded at them gratefully. It's true. If it wasn't for Chanyeol sitting beside him and the two of them following along, there's no way anybody would have changed the way they treated Kyungsoo at all.

He got to learn so much simply from sitting there. From knowing that the people sitting around him don't look at him with fear anymore. From the fact that they gladly include him in their conversations and listen to what he has to say with patience and acceptance.

It's only been a short while, but it did't change the fact that everything had already began shifting and transforming around him. Some things he won't be able to get rid of, like his appearance, or his spooky atmosphere whenever he gets shy when trying to approach others. Or the fact that people always think he's angry because of his eyesight. But from having Baekhyun, Jongdae, Sehun and even Chanyeol treating him so generously, he already learned what happiness was.
"A-Are you an idiot?" Baekhyun asked dramatically, slamming his hand on Kyungsoo's table and making him jump, only to realize that Baekhyun was actually holding back tears and sniffling back snot, emotional from hearing Kyungsoo's confession. Jongdae quickly smacked Baekhyun's leg in retaliation. 
"Hey! Don't scare him like this!" He pouted before sighing and looking at Kyungsoo. "It's not because of us... It's thanks to your great efforts. You're doing your best, right?" He smiled at him warmly, with honest affection. 

It made Kyungsoo feel fuzzy inside and start fiddling with the cover of the book he has on his table out of shyness. Ah... He's so lucky and grateful, these two are so cool and kind. Like a pair of guardian angels.

"By the way, what's this book?" Jongdae shifted the conversation as Baekhyun relaxed and sat down properly, turning in their direction. 
"It's a book about ghost stories." Kyungsoo held the book up for the two of them to check out the cover. The book looked pretty old and slightly damaged. The cover was rustic brown and had what looked like a hand drawn traditional painting of a haunted house.

"GHOST STORIES?" 
Baekhyun asked in a loud shock, turning the attention of all present classmates towards them in the classroom. 
"I just thought that if I read those I'd be able to somehow learn how to fulfill's everyone's expectations." Kyungsoo explained and flipped through a few pages to show them he's been reading through. 
"Y-You're so sweet... Aaahhh...." Baekhyun began his dramatic sniffling again, and patted his shoulder. 

"Is it really necessary...?" Jongdae asked with a small sigh before the bell began ringing. Necessary? Kyungsoo wasn't sure what he meant. Reading the book? Learning the stories in it? Or maybe he talked about whether it's necessary for Kyungsoo to try so hard and fit into everyone's expectations of him by doing something that is entirely unlike him? Maybe all of the options together.

 

 

Classes began. The day was passing by as usual.

Though unexpectedly, during one of the more sleep indusing lessons, suddenly a small folded note landed on Kyungsoo's table.  Surprised, he picked the note and turned to look around to get a clue as to who it is intended towards. He saw Chanyeol looking at him and pointing his finger at him repeatedly. What could it mean...? If he pointed several times it must mean that it must be passed towards the direction he pointed at. But the only person near Kyungsoo is...

Ah! He found out what the pointing means! Kyungsoo placed the note neatly in his hand, then carefully moved his whole arm backwards from below, and placed it at the edge of Sehun's table behind him. Yes! He did it! He felt so accomplished by completing this little secret mission of passing the note, that he turned to look back at Chanyeol with excitement, only to see him looking back at Kyungsoo in shock. Chanyeol then easily reached his long arm and quickly snatched the note back before Sehun could grab it. 

Oh no... He failed after all... Kyungsoo felt so incredibly disappointedin himself. It was his first time being given such great responsibility of passing a secret note too. He never got to do it in the past, being seated more often than not at the front of the class, he would see the notes passing behind his back. But never got the chance to try and pass one himself. Now that he did, he managed to ruin it as well.

Though before he could sink into real sadness, the note landed on the corner of his table again. Except this time, 

[ To: Kyungsoo! ] 

Was written on its outer folded corner. His heart fluttered in his chest. Whoa, this is the first time a note in class is being passed to him, and the note is meant for him as well. He used to see everyone else passing notes around, especially in middle school, but none ever passed by him, let alone reached him. So this is pretty exciting.

He carefully unfolded the note behind his notebook, trying to keep it hidden so it will not grab any attention attention.

[ My friend had chosen a name for the kitten. He said he'd like for you to come and visit him! What do you say? - From: Chanyeol ]

The note read. And Kyungsoo felt how warmth and happiness started spreading through his entire body. Without hesitation he grabbed his pencil and wrong at the bottom of the note. Then he carefully folded it again, and passed it back to Chanyeol, who smiled at him widely upon reading the answer. 

All he wrote was a small

[ Me too. ]

Chanyeol's attention turned back to the class, but a small smile on his lips lingered even after the note had been passed. Kyungsoo knew because he kept watching him. He's so mesmerized. Kyungsoo felt like a child again. Passing notes like this in class was something he never knew could be this much fun to partake in. No wonder everybody used to do it a lot.

More than the note, however, Kyungsoo had carved the happy smile Chanyeol shot at him after seeing his reply, into his memory. It felt like the whole world disappeared around Chanyeol.

How can a smile pierce so deep into someone's heart like Chanyeol's does Kyungsoo's? He knew he's not the first to see this smile, yet he couldn't help but allow his admiration for Chanyeol to continue growing inside him. His life took such a sharp turn for the better ever since they began interacting with one another. Kyungsoo fully understood every single person who decided to continue following Chanyeol into this highschool. 

He did wonder however, how much more can these feelings of idolizing and admiring Chanyeol grow before they'd turn into something different. And if he will even be able to handle feeling anything different towards Chanyeol. His feelings keep increasing to new heights and limits he never knew he could feel before.