Chapter 14

Doshio

 

In the few days between the Christmas party and the beginning of the new year, Kyungsoo's phone has been bombarded with messages. Thanks to Chanyeol showing him how to add contacts, he was able to successfully save every single one of his friends on his phone. He was added to a whole bunch of new conversations. Or as they are called, group chats. Where everyone are able to text each other and see everybody else's messages. Kind of like chatting in real life.

One was the group chat with everybody who came to the Christmas party, named 'Husbands' by Baekhyun. Another was a group including only the people who are from the same class. Baekhyun, Jongdae, Chanyeol, Sehun, even Seungwan and Seulgi were there. Named 'High Class' by Baekhyun. One more was a group with only Baekhyun Jongdae and himself named 'We don't know a Doshio' by Baekhyun.

Very quickly Kyungsoo realized that Baekhyun is a very active member in the phone related communications. Because along with the group chats, every single one of his friends sent him a private message as well. Simple things he could easily reply to. And out of everyone, Kyungsoo was actually a little sad that Chanyeol hasn't sent him anything. Not that he can blame him, because Kyungsoo himself hasn't sent anything either, but still.

When he went to visit Jongin at the hospital he showed him his brand new device, and the two of them also added each other as contacts and began communicating. It was mostly Kyungsoo asking how Jongin was feeling, and Jongin replying with odd yet adorable answers every time.

In the 'Husbands' group chat with everybody, Minseok came up with the amazing idea of going together to the new year's festivals that will take place at the town's park this year. And very quickly everybody sent their confirmations of arrival and participation. Kyungsoo as well, was excited to spend the day with other people who are not just his parents.

Normally he'd be spending new years' nights on his own, so he wondered what kind of experience it is to not only be with his friends, but also be out in public, surrounded by the crowds and lights and noises.

After telling his parents about the plan, they gave him a few recommendations for activities, then tried to convince him to go out wearing traditional clothes to show his festiveness. But he managed to successfully direct them off of the suggestion by telling them how that wouldn't work with the cold temperature that will be going on that night.

And just like that, on the evening of the last day of the year, the entire group had gathered right outside the entrance to the park. Even before reaching the park at all, the roads were crowded with people flooding over to reach it and experience the festivity. The end of the year is a time filled with so many celebrations, Kyungsoo couldn't help but feel extremely happy that he is able to exeprience them all with the people he loves.

He hasn't really gone out of the house since the party, so stepping outside right as the sun finished setting was quite a chill shock for his body. Good thing he came wrapped in enough layers to counter it. On top of his warm sweater he had a thick and long black padded coat that belonged to his father in the past. It was a little big on him, and hid his palms perfectly without having to place them inside any pockets. 

He wasn't the only one being over dressed for the occasion, he was relieved to see when he approached his group of friends, because Chanyeol, too, was wearing a padded coat. Maybe not as long as Kyungsoo's but it was still comforting to know he's not the only one suffering from the cold. Everyone else had more fashion worthy covers. Though it did warm his heart to see Baekhyun zipping up Yixing's coat. The one he had given him at the party. Their exchange of smiles was sweet.

It all started good, until they've reached the center of the park, where booths were lined up in long confusing rows, like a maze, and everybody began splitting fairly quickly due to the large amount of people that kept flowing in every direction. There were couples, families, children, people wearing costumes all around. And before he could bear his ground, Kyungsoo found himself alone.

He was afraid of such a thing happening, but once he realized he's on his own, it was actually really nice. He might be alone, but he doesn't feel lonely in any way. It's not the same type of alone that he used to feel back when people treated him like an evil spirit at school. Although even here people mostly kept their distance from him, it was nice. He felt independent and mature, rather than shunned and disliked.

Slowly surfing through the streams of people, Kyungsoo got to see the many displays of things the booths were offering. There were game booths, jewelry, food, accessories, scarves, decorations, flowers, candies--- There were just so many. So much variety. And each booth was uniquely designed to lure as many customers as possible. The constant chattering of the crowd around numbed down into a pleasant background noise, along with a child laughing here and there. He even spotted some of his school mates, even classmates around.

He saw Minseok cheering on Jongdae with his whole heart to win one of the games, then laughing and petting his head when he lost. 
He saw Baekhyun and Yixing standing in front of a winter accessories booth, where Baekhyun kept placing different hats, gloves, earmuffs, scarves, and sunglasses on Yixing. The way Yixing smiled at him so fondly, knowing that he's in good hands, was really nice to see. 
He saw Sehun carrying a bunch of little house decorations of blessing scrolls in his arms, along with some wrapped candies and a boba tea drink, following after a concentrated Junmyeon examining the booths.

It was adorable, and from the warmth of his friends' affection for each other, and the warmth of being surrounded by so many people, Kyungsoo nearly forgot it was cold at all. That is, until he spotted a single crying child standing at the corner of the festival row, sniffing and wiping his tears away repeatedly between the sobs. Oh... Oh no... Is he lost? It must feel so scary to lose one's family in such a place as a child.

He debated whether or not he should approach the child. Because due to his known reputation as a ghostly scary figure, and the fact that he's dressed in all black, it might get the opposite result and he'd scare the child even more instead of trying to help him. But he started getting increasingly worried about him, and really wanted to save the child from further suffering. The kid was maybe six, at most.

But before he was able to step ahead and attempt to introduce himself, Chanyeol was already there. Kneeling in front of the child to maintain eye level, and gently his sides to warm him up. Kyungsoo was a little too far behind to hear, but he could easily assume that Chanyeol was asking him different questions. Like what was wrong, why the tears, where are his parents, and what's their name. 

It was like magic. The same effect Chanyeol's presence has on Kyungsoo, he had on the child. Because he stopped crying and calmed down at the moment Chanyeol smiled at him and began his head.
Kyungsoo remained hidden behind the flow of people and a few booths, but he could still clearly see how Chanyeol told the child to wait, purchased a candy, and returned to give it to him like a gift of peace. The child accepted the sweet treat, and then accepted Chanyeol's large hand. It was extremely heart warming for Kyungsoo to see how the child's little palm and fingers wrapped tightly only around Chanyeol's single finger. How Chanyeol with soft thumb movements kept the child's hand to keep them calm.

He felt a little strange, like a bit of a creep, but also happy and lucky, that he was able to follow after the two of them unnoticed as they walked together around the area. They kept calling out the child's parents names. 

He wanted to join in and help them so much, but he knew he'd only be causing another problem for Chanyeol to fix if he was around. He'd scare the child, or be awkward, or stop their search somehow, and he'd rather allow things to flow naturally instead. It seemed that Chanyeol and the child managed to bond quite well, because they even stopped at a few of the gaming booths, and later Chanyeol pulled the kid up to sit on his shoulders. Tall and majestic above all the rest of the festival's visitors. The child looked happy. He kept laughing, smiling, and talking to Chanyeol about things Kyungsoo would assume only kids can talk about. He was in awe.

Chanyeol really is like an angel sent down from heaven to this filthy of an earth. There's so much to him that keeps surprising Kyungsoo every single day. His kindness knows no boundaries and his emotions run free and wild from within. He has so much passion, and so much compassion. The world doesn't deserve Chanyeol, but Chanyeol definitely deserves the world.

He must be some sort of fairy, or a magician, a wizard or a god, to be able to make every single person around him feel so much love. So much happiness, so much life. Chanyeol is overflowing with everything that can be considered good. And Kyungsoo is so, so grateful that he is able to be alive at the same time as him. That he's able to label himself Chanyeol's friend.

They are like complete opposites. Chanyeol is the brightness, the light, the fire, the happiness and strength that comes from the core of life itself. And Kyungsoo is... Not. He's the darkness, the quiet, the isolation, fears and doubts that rest on the dark side of the light Chanyeol emits.

Kyungsoo heard the saying that opposites attract many times before. And he could definitely understand why a darkness like himself would, like a moth, seek the warmth, reassurance, and guidance that comes with the light. But someone like Chanyeol, who is already the shining star in the middle of the galaxy, why would they want anything to do with a pesky dark moth that wishes to slug on their liveliness like a parasite? 

He knows he will never become anything like what he admires about Chanyeol the most. But he will keep holding onto that wish, because that's his source of light that keeps him going. And even if it will never come true, having something to hold onto for one's self is quite good within itself already.

Eventually, while Kyungsoo was watching the way Chanyeol entertained the child, and himself probably, they have made a whole cycle through the festival's grounds, and wound up to finish at the same spot they began. But as they've approached that corner, the child started shouting and reaching out away from Chanyeol. As Kyungsoo stepped a little closer for a better view, he found that the child's parents were standing right at the spot Kyungsoo had spotted the child standing and crying before.

They pulled the child into a tight hug, then thanked Chanyeol sincerely for the help and left with the child in their arms. Kyungsoo expected Chanyeol to walk on right away, but instead, he stood there for a while longer and looked at them leaving. A gentle smile spreaded across his face as he began waving their way. Kyungsoo then noticed that the child was looking back at him and waving back as well, before they went out of sight.

 

 

And then Chanyeol's energy took a turn. It suddenly became strange, like something is missing, although he was still smiling, it felt like he was incredibly lonely. Unbearably lonely. Kyungsoo could choke on how sharply he felt it pierce his heart. He never saw Chanyeol like this before. Atanding there, surrounded by so many people, and yet feeling so distinctively lonely. He could tell it was loneliness, because Kyungsoo himself, knows that this is exactly what he's displaying. Kyungsoo would have never imagined that someone as loving and as loved as Chanyeol would be able to feel such intense isolation inside. 

Though it didn't last this long, because Kyungsoo got pushed from behind by a bunch of rowdy people in the crowd, and Chanyeol noticed him with surprise on his face. Instantly, a smile grew across his lips, and any trace of the strong emptiness that surrounded Chanyeol's energy a moment ago was gone like it never existed. He's all back to normal again, even better than normal. His energy was actually cheerful now.

"Ah~! Kyungsoo. It's so nice to find a familiar face again." He held onto Kyungsoo's arm and helped him stabilize himself after the push. 
"Are you alright? Ended up on your own as well?" He asked gently, releasing Kyungsoo's arm. 
"Y-Yeah, everybody split somehow." 
"Same here. I did see a few other classmates walking around though. It's very crowded here this year." Chanyeol explained as the two of them began walking together now between one booth to another. It's way better now, that they stick together.

The more they walked, the more their conversation continued pleasantly, and Kyungsoo was very glad that he had the opportunity to spend his time with Chanyeol like this. It felt like a better gift for the new year than anything else. Chanyeol didn't say anything about the child he had taken care of. He's too humble for his own good. Kyungsoo was glad he was a witness to Chanyeol's good deed.

Slowly, the festival seemed to be shutting down. The crowd had thinned massively, there were no more any children around. Booths were closing and turning their lights off, and even the background music had been lowered in volume through the speakers hanging in every corner.

It was peaceful, and a little colder again, but Kyungsoo was so happy. Their conversation varied between school, to what types of foods they've tried at the festival, to which games they won, and which street performers they managed to see at different spots. It was nearing midnight when Kyungsoo noticed that the crowd had changed its flowing direction towards another section of the park.

"Ah, the fireworks are supposed to start soon." Chanyeol remembered, and after confirming Kyungsoo would join him, they've made their way to the top of a small hill in the other side of the park. There were still a lot of people around, sitting down on the side of the hill or walking behind on the paths, but it was quiet, and spacious enough to remind Kyungsoo that he had brought his bear-like coat for a good reason.

The fireworks began at about two minutes to midnight, and Kyungsoo was in awe. Together with the people's joyful noises of surprise, the booming sounds of the explosions echoing in delay, and the stunning view they have from their spot on the hill, Kyungsoo was excited. It was such a unique experience. He saw a few of the people around taking out their phones to film, and on a whim, decided to do the same. He could show it to his parents later.

He never got to go out with friends for such a festival before. Sitting down and watching fireworks like this... It's all new, and he's doing it right now for the first time with Chanyeol by his side. Every year he'd go to the festival with his parents, but they'd return home quite early, before the firewroks even appeared. 

He tried to handle the phone's camera to commemorate this moment with some pictures, but placed it away again when he realized the pictures came out a little blurry and confusing. It was still very cool.

The fireworks haven't ceased for several minutes, and Kyungsoo was enjoying every second of them. At one point, he turned to Chanyeol with an excited smile, expecting to see him staring up in the sky and watching the colorful sparks. But he was surprised when he found that Chanyeol has actually been looking directly at him instead. His head was resting against his palm. It reminded Kyungsoo of the way Sehun often gazes out of the window in class.
Does that mean Chanyeo was gazing... At him? Why would Chanyeol look at him and not the fireworks?

It was quite overwhelming for him to see Chanyeol's eyes locked so peacefully on him like that, but he leaned in closer to Chanyeol's ear anyway. 
"The fireworks are really beautiful!" He tried to speak loud enough for him to hear over the noises, but not too loud to cause him any pain. Chanyeol turned his head to give Kyungsoo closer access to his ear, and then smiled and nodded when he heard what he said. 

It's so nice that the two of them are able to share new years like this together. Midnight had passed, and the tradition Kyungsoo knew from movies, of kissing someone at that time, was already too late to conduct. He couldn't even imagine himself being able to kiss Chanyeol anyway. Just the fact that they are sitting together on a hill is already making his heart race enough for a year. 

Moments later though, Chanyeol leaned in towards Kyungsoo's ear as well. 
"The fireworks are nice, but---" There was an especially loud firework exploding in the background. "--- More beautiful." Kyungsoo missed a word or two in the middle hasn't he? He turned to look at Chanyeol puzzled, hoping that he'd be able to repeat it.

But instead, Chanyeol was already looking up at the color exchanging sky. It was hard to see in the darkness, but Kyungsoo thought his adorable ears had changed their shade to a bright pink again. And now, just like Chanyeol was gazing in his direction before, it's Kyungsoo himself who was gazing at Chanyeol. The way the colors reflect in his eyes, the way they shine so brightly, his flawless profile... The way the wind grazes against his soft fluffy hair. Kyungsoo could tell that if he ever died and reached heaven, this view is exactly how it'd look like.

Chanyeol's very existence is something that brings him happiness, joy, a reason to wake up in the morning and actually look forward to the day itself. Chanyeol has given Kyungsoo so much. He turned to be someone he wants to become, someone he wants to become better for, and someone he wants to treasure. Kyungsoo loves everything about him. Kyungsoo loves him. He's so undoubtedly in love.

 

 

Days later, the short yet fulfilling vacation had ended, and they were all to go back to school again. As Kyungsoo made it to class in the morning, he spotted Sehun already half napping in his seat, and Baekhyun busy on his phone at his own table. 
"Good morning." He sat himself down, and had Baekhyun immediately turn around to him with a smile. 
"Morning Kyungsoo! Look at this!" He handed Kyungsoo his phone with a photo displaying on the screen.

It was a picture of Yixing and Minseok holding tan up in the air, as the cat has a hilarious expression of lazy nonchalance about it. Kyungsoo laughed brightly as Baekhyun grinned.
"Tannie is so cute. He's like our group's mascot." Kyungsoo said with a smile. And Baekhyun after staring at him in surprise, then quickly began tapping on his phone as if he's gotten an idea. 

"Sup boys~" Jongdae slid into his seat right then. 
"I'm so over this winter already. When will it be spring again..." He whined childishly. 
"I know right, maybe when spring comes then the rest of the students will return to school as well." Baekhyun sighed. 
"What do you mean?" Kyungsoo asked curiously, looking around the classroom. Something does feel a little empty actually. 
"Lots of students aren't back yet because they're on vacation or things like that." Baekhyun explained. 

"Living the good life in the hot sun on the other side of the world, huh." Jongdae hummed with a pout. 
"It can be from other reasons too." Kyungsoo said, turning both their heads in his direction.
"Hm? Like what? None of us are allowed to drink yet, so hangovers are not a possibility." Baekhyun countered. 
"Maybe they had urgent things to take care of, or got into dangerous accidents like Jongin."

Kyungsoo could feel his heart freezing in his chest at that moment. Wide eyes stared at him. Baekhyun gave him a nervous apologetic look, and Jongdae... Jongdae's face stuck in shock for several moments. 
"Did you just say jongin...?" He asked quietly, and Kyungsoo began sweating from the stress, his heart booming in his chest. 
"Y-Yes... Before our Christmas party I was outside and saw Jongin get run over by a truck as he crossed the road... The ambulance came really fast though, and he was fine." He spoke a little shakily. 

"I visited him often to keep him company... He's doing a lot better already---... So..." Kyungsoo finished and shut his mouth, noticing how nervous Baekhyun's expression was as well. He stared at Jongdae's state of shock that lasted for a while longer.

Until he suddenly cleared his throat and his expression turned back to normal. Except... His energy was suddenly extremely intense and upset. It felt like just staying around him, or within his radius of space, would pull everyone into a black hole of anger and intense seriousness. "Thanks for letting me know." He nodded, then quickly turned back around in his chair and began tapping on his phone. It felt like sitting behind a living spark of lightning.

"Morning, Baekhyun, Jongdae, Kyungsoo... Sehun." Chanyeol then approached and slid into his seat, doing the usual fold-and-store action to his giraffe scarf. But nobody dared to say anything back. Confused, he leaned closer to Kyungsoo's seat. 
"What's going on?" He whispered, and Kyungsoo exhaled slowly. 
"I accidentally told Jongdae about Jongin's accident..." He whispered back as quiet as possible. Chanyeol looked at him surprised, but understandingly. Through the entire day at school, Jongdae acted as if nothing happened, but his aura told a different story. At the moment school ended, he rushed off like a bullet.

 

 

A little later in the afternoon, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo met again by the hospital. They've planned to go and visit Jongin together today, which is probably why Kyungsoo's mind was wrapped around it during school and he revealed the truth in front of Jongdae accidentally. It was reassuring to meet up with Baekhyun though. They both had brought delicious treats for Jongin to enjoy. Kyungsoo with the same fried chicken he'd brought to the party, that was a dazzling success according to Jongin's opinion of the sample he got, and Baekhyun with some packed noodle meals from Sehun's family's ramen store.

Up to the eighth floor, then to the right, a left, and then through the door on the left, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo made it into Jongin's recovery room. They wanted to surprise Jongin with their food gifts, but instead, were surprised themselves when they found Jongdae standing at the edge of his bed, and the two of them looking at each other angrily.

"--- Is that why mom hasn't told me anything?! Because you were an idiot and asked her to not say a word?! Why?!" Jongdae spoke sharply. It seems they were in the middle of a confrontation, because neither of them even noticed that Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had stepped into the room. 
"Why the hell do you think?! When I try to get close, you keep telling me to stay the out of your life, and when I do, that's also not good enough for you?!" Jongin shouted back, his voice sounding torn.

"Well yeah, but I meant at school?! I can't believe she went along with your stupid request. I feel so cheated right now." Jongdae rubbed his face angrily. 
"Who cares anyway, whatever." 
"No it's not whatever, Jongin. Listen, I dont give a when you talk about girls asking you out at school and you refusing them because of your crush on that Taemin guy from the other school. That's none of my business. But an accident that leaves you in the hospital for a ing month is pretty much my business?!" 
"I dont ing get you, Jongdae. I'm tired of this, I'm tired of you." Jongin replied, he looked and sounded very hurt from Jongdae's words.

But... Wasn't the fact that Jongdae knew about the stories Jongin kept telling him, actually meant that he heard and listened to him? These two really are an issue. They both are so stuck in their own belief about the other, that they don't realize what's happening in the reality surrounding them.

It was a little scary to see the two of them talking to each other like this. Not only because of what they say, but also because Kyungsoo has never seen them express this much anger before. Anger is scary. 

"I still dont even understand what I've done to deserve anything of the way you're treating me. Is my exstence this much of a pain to you?! Do you hate me this ing much?! To come here and scold me for getting into an accident I didn't even cause?! What the have I ever done to you?!" Jongin fired back, his bed was shaking a little from how tense his mody must feel and move in it.

"Don't you start this now--- You know exactly why things are the way they are. How would you feel if somebody stole your family away from you?!" Jongdae replied angrily. 
"Who the stole a family from you?! You think I wanted this?! To be born a ing bastard because your dad and my mom couldn't keep it in their pants?!" Jongin's voice rasped as his teeth gritted together. 
"I never asked for any of this, I didn't have a ing choice. Why do I have to be the one suffering, when our goddamn parents are so stupid they couldn't understand just how hurt you were?!" 

He continued. 
"Don't you remember? How we used to run away together, how I kept fighting with them FOR YOU. Because they were being so impossibly stupid and tried to blame you for having feelings!" Jongin's anger slowly started to tone down a little. 
"I didn't let go of you for a minute... I don't know, maybe I was too annoying, too pushy, too intrusive towards you. I was a ing kid, I didn't know anything. I saw you were sad because of them, and I tried to be something that'd make you happy instead." He sighed and rubbed his face with his one available hand. 
"I didn't understand what you were feeling, but does it really matter? We're still having this fight!" His eyebrowd drew tight together.

"What ing happened to us... We used to be best friends--- We used to be so damn powerful together--..." Jongin's voice began shaking. 
"Look at us now... I dont understand why I'm at fault for being born... Everything was just fine--- We still share the same blood--- So why does it matter who is whose child---..." He continued, and Kyungsoo felt his heart twisting with sadness.

It was silent for a lengthy period of time after Jongin's shaking words. He sat on the bed, looking at his own blanket, curled and hunched in a cloud of sadness, regret, and pain. While Jongin stood at the edge of his bed, also staring down, spilling out rivers of suffering, of memories flashing through his mind and the sharp pricks of pain that they cause his heart. Kyungsoo could hear nothing but the air conditioner at the corner of the room, and his own heart beating in his chest.

"I hate this too... You know. I hate this so ing much." Jongdae admitted. His anger turned into pain. 
"You know how scared I was when I heard you were in an accident?... I dont even know why, I can't explain why I'm still unable to hate you--- It's so stupid---..." He rubbed his face again as well. 

"Why do you have to hate me at all...?" 
"B-Because---..." Jongdae's voice wavered. "Because I'm ing jealous--... Okay? Because I'm jealous that both your parents are alive and mine are not. That my mom is not." 
"What the does that even mean? My mom is your mom too, you're such an idiot. Just because she didn't birth you outside of marriage doesn't mean she isn't your mom, too. She ing loves you. And you used to love her so much too. You were literally mommy's boy for as long as I can remember." Jongin shot back. 

"---... This is so stupid. I don't even understand why I'm so angry about it myself." Jongdae huffed down, rubbing his head with apparent anger, from the aggression he had used to do so. 
"I miss you Jongdae... I'm sorry that things are the way they are... But you know I can't turn back time. Would it be better if I had just died in the accident? Would that make it easier for you to accept?" Jongin asked desperately, tears appearing in his eyes. Kyungsoo's heart clenched hard. Jongin's truly clinging to his last lines here. 

The messy room... The mask of personality he constantly wears... The amount of cautiousness he displays towards everything that's related to Jongdae... Kyungsoo knew that Jongin asked this in full honesty. That Jongin really believed that there was a chance his death would have been the solution to the pain both Jongdae and him suffered through. And it hurt Kyungsoo deep in the heart to know that there would have been nothing he could do to change that thought in his mind. 

"Don't ing say such things!---" 
"Then why--- Why do you keep pushing me away all the time?" His wet sniffle caused Kyungsoo's body to jerk lightly. Jongin was... Broken. Both physically, and mentally. Right now, right in front of Jongdae. He had broken down and opened up his very core on display. 
"I try so hard---... So ing hard... To reconnect---... But bringing back the past just makes you angry, trying to fit in with your friends would make you turn them against me--- And even when I go and visit Minseokie you tell me to leave..." Jongin sniffed again and wiped his streaming tears away with his one free arm. 

"...I... I've really been such an haven't I..." Jongdae's expression looked like a mixture of shock, fear, misery, and mostly, sadness.
"I can't blame you... I dont know how I would have reacted if I learned the truth back then..." Even with all that's been said and done, Jongin was still selfless enough to defend Jongdae against his own guilt. Kyungsoo knew that Jongin is aware of the fact that Jongdae is not the bad guy in the situation. 

The two of them fell into silence then. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were unable to move, or speak, or breathe too loud, so it wouldn't interrupt. It looked like both Jongdae and Jongin have caved in from their anger at this point. 
At the same time, the energy between them shifted from the fiery anger into something mellow. Something soft, and hurting, and warm. 

Jongin sniffed again and allowed his body to fall back against the pillow that supports his back, looking down as his tears wouldn't stop sliding gracefully over his cheeks. After a moment of hesitation, Jongdae exhaled a breath. Wordlessly, he stepped closer, now beside the bed. He looked at Jongin for a bit, then leaned in and rested his head on top of Jongin's, gently his body into a hug. 

"I love you, Jongdae... Please accept it... Please accept me..." Jongin said in a choked back voice and allowed his head to fall against Jongdae's chest. 

It seems that even Jongdae's eyes had gathered some wetness, because he sat on the edge of the bed and wrapped around Jongin even tighter while kissing the top of his head. 
"I'm sorry Jonginie..." His voice was deep, airy, and honest. 
"I dont hate you at all---... You've become such a wonderful person--- And I feel like I missed out on so much..." Jongdae admitted with noticeable regret in his voice. 

"I've been an idiot." He sniffled as well. 
"I accept you, I accpet it all... I missed you so much. And I love you, too. I'm so tired of this anger... Let's just start again." Jongdae shut his eyes for a little while, immersing himself in Jongin's warmth. 
"Just don't burst into my classroom in tears when you're back. Deal?" He then smiled lightly with wet shiny eyes, and pulled back from the hug to look at Jongin.

They made eye contact for a short while. Jongin seemed a little surprised, but then he laugh-coughed through the tears and attempted to sniff back some more. Jongdae chuckled as well and placed another kiss on his forehead. 
"And don't think we haven't seen you, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo." He teased, turning to look at the two of them standing at the entrance, too shocked to slide a blink. Once Jongin opened his eyes and gave them a shy glance, Jongdae smiled and gestured for the two of them to come over as well.

 

 

Kyungsoo felt the stress in his heart release, and also his eyes drying back to normal again after the wetness they've gathered from the strong emotions that flew in the room. When he glanced at Baekhyun he saw him with the usual sob expression he has when he gets touched by something. With Baekhyun's emotional whines, the delicious food, and Jongin's wet yet renewed smiles of true happiness, the hospital visit felt more like a regular cheerful hangout. And Kyungsoo got to learn a lot more about the shared memories of the brothers from their earlier childhood through their conversations.

He had never heard Jongin's geneuine laughter before that day, but now after hearing it, Kyungsoo felt like he really wanted to make sure that laughter will make many more appearances within his company. 

Although the visit to Jongin's hospital recovery room has been a scary experience at the start, it turned into a happy pleasant time spent with the four of them together. Kyungsoo has seen Jongin around from time to time in the past, laughing and smiling, but he never looked as happy and relaxed as he did in today's visit. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo left before Jongdae did. But not before making sure to wish for Jongin's quick recovery again.

"These two are idiots... I feel so relieved now that things got better. I hope they'll be able to maintain their relationship this well." Baekhyun said as they've made their way back home. 
"I feel like since they love each other so deeply, they will be able to make it work." Kyungsoo replied with a smile, enjoying the way his feet press on the thin layer of snow on the ground.
"I'm glad I mentioned it in front of Jongdae. Even if it was by accident." He admitted, and Baekhyun nodded warmly in return. 

That night, Jongdae added Jongin to the 'Husbands' group chat, and everyone greeted the newcomer happily. Sehun, Chanyeol and Jongin almost immediately fell into a funny conversation in the group chat, which resulted in Minseok having to scold them for texting so late during the night. Ah, Kyungsoo was truly happy.

He was even happier the next morning at school, when they sat during the break and Jongdae updated them further about Jongin's recovery process and expectations of hospital release.
"Jongin really is amazing..." Kyungsoo hummed with a small smile across his lips. 
"Just like he took it upon himself to distract the group standing outside the restaurant... Remember, Sehun?" Sehun nodded. 
"Right as I was about to tell Junmyeon that the plan is cancelled..." He said calmly.

"Huh? What do you mean? What plan?" Baekhyun asked curiously. Oh, wow, Kyungsoo hasn't realized that Baekhyun was yet to know about the fact that his meeting with Yixing was all a part of 'Operation Morons'. And to think it happened quite a while ago too. Jongdae laughed in amusement from Baekhyun's cluelessness, and Sehun smiled lightly before briefly explaining the format of what they'd done with person B and person Y as the targets.

"So, person B was you, and person Y was Yixing. Get it now?" Jongdae asked as Baekhyun stared at them in surprise. 
"It was thanks to Chanyeol's words that we were able to think of such a plan." Kyungsoo mentioned, heart drumming at the thought of Chanyeol's words echoing him in his mind from that day. 
"Whoa... And all this time I thought it was an incredible coincidence... I mean--- I could tell something was going on with you guys for a while beforehand... I just had no idea it had to do with Yixing." 

He sighed before stretching and taking out his phone. After a few taps he held the microphone part of the device close to his mouth. 
"You're an idiot." He said into it. Puzzled, Kyungsoo stared in confusion. But moments later Baekhyun tapped on his screen again. 
"I love you too, good luck at school!" Yixing's voice was heard from the phone's speaker, as both Baekhyun and Sehun snickered in amusement.

"Anyway, you said something about Jongin? He wasn't even a part of it, so what did he do?" Jongdae interrupted the sweet moment, looking at Kyungsoo curiously. 
"In the plan, the street was supposed to be empty, right? But as we sat at the restaurant, there were a bunch of people gathering there." Kyungsoo began explaining calmly. 
"Nobody expected it, and we were about to cancel it all, but Jongin came by and distracted the group by making them chase him." 

"Whoa... He has no fear anymore..." Jongdae mumbled. 
"He used to be such a fearbul baby boy in the past." Jongdae hummed out, there was affection in his voice. 
"Actually, he looked pretty scared." Kyungsoo chuckled. 
"The next day at school he had a bruise on his face too..." Jongdae placed his chin on top of his palm and sighed lightly. But there was still a smile on his lips.

 

 

The week had passed by quickly, and the more time passes, the happier and luckier Kyungsoo felt. To have gathered such a wonderful group of friends around him, to have the opportunity to see Chanyeol every day at school, to be able to communicate with him even outside of school. Especially after the new years fireworks event at the festival, the two of them have been chatting quite a lot more both at school and outside of it.

They talk about anything, really. From school work, to favourite music releases, to memories from being children and up to chatting about the relationships that have formed in their group of friends. Chanyeol had even told Kyungsoo about his job. It's only a part time job that doesn't pay much, but he gets to learn a lot from it and earn something in the process, so he offered himself for that occupration.

He's a handy mechanical operator of a small recording studio located at the edge of town. The majority of his job is to adjust microphones, connect tangled cables and swipe the floors at the end of the day. But while being there he gets to learn so much about the process of creating music, so he's extremely happy the studio owner accepted his job offering.

Kyungsoo can only imagine how Chanyeol already managed to not only swipe the floors, but also swipe the studio workers' hearts with his lovable charming personality, kindness and beauty. It warmed his heart knowing that Chanyeol is able to begin learning about such things this early, he definitely has the talent and skillset for it.

One morning as Kyungsoo arrived to school and switched up the books in the lockers by the entrance, a figure suddenly loomed behind him, and made him freeze by placing their head on his shoulder from the back. Kyungsoo was surprised, very surprised, but he recognized the figure immediately. It was Chanyeol. Kyungsoo knew that it was him without even looking, because he learned to recognize his scent, and the type of warmth that his body constantly produces that makes Kyungsoo feel so welcome.

He didn't really need to look, but Kyungsoo turned sideways slightly, just to catch a glance. Chanyeo's face was right there, beside his neck, he could hear the way he's breathing so clearly. Was it Chanyeol's heartbeat he felt? Or will Chanyeol be able to tell that Kyungsoo's heartbeat is the one wilding about? 

Chanyeol looked peaceful, but tired. His eyes were shut and his lips puckered forward into a pout. Kyungsoo wanted to treasure this moment forever. This sort of closeness... He was surprised he hasn't imploded yet. But more than that, he really, really wanted to pet Chanyeol. his head, caress his cheek, just, touch him, feel him. 

"I stayed at work till late yesterday... Spoke with the main producer for a bit. I'm going to play for him on my guitar soon." Chanyeol then spoke, opening his eyes and smiling at Kyungsoo warmly before removing his head from its incredibly close position. Kyungsoo was in the process of gathering courage to pet him, really, but he was too fast, and pulled away too quickly for it to happen.

"W-Whoa, that's great. You're going to blow him away!" Kyungsoo's heart was still pretty unstable from the sudden closeness he had just encountered, so he spoke quite nervously in an attempt to sound smooth. Chanyeol laughed warmly before petting Kyungsoo's back a few times and nodding. 
"You're right! I will!" He grinned. And Kyungsoo felt like spring has come by earlier than expected with the amount of heat his body produced due to the shyness.

He loves him. Kyungsoo loves Chanyeol so damn much. How is he supposed to take any more of this without popping up like a balloon?