Chapter 16

Doshio

 

Jongdae looked extra tired today as he entered class and slipped into his chair lazily. With curious eyes on him, he sighed and looked at everyone with a hint of a smile. "Morning guys. Bet it'll happen in less than a minute." He said, causing all four of his close classmates to glance at each other in confusion.

But just as anticipated, a few seconds later the classroom's door opened wide and there stood Jongin. Tall and handsome and standing on his own with a big excited grin. The only sign left of his accident was his wrapped arm being held close to his chest with a special harness. Not only theirs, but the eyes of the entire classroom turned to look at him in surprise. A crowd of people have gathered around him to welcome him back to school with love, but Jongin nearly ignored them all while striding straight towards their spot at the back corner of the class.

"Good morning!" He cheered at them before kneeling down on the floor beside Jongdae and resting his head onto his brother's chest. 
"Oh my god, Jongin you're back!" Chanyeol called out first, petting his arm lightly. 
"I'm back and better than ever!" He grinned still, and Jongdae rolled his eyes before placing a hand on Jongin's head and through his hair in half a hug.

Kyungsoo exchanged a short chuckle with Baekhyun, remembering how one of Jongdae's conditions to let go of the past and accept Jongin fully into his life, is for Jongin to not do exactly what he just did. Burst into his class and make a scene around him. But oh well, at this point Jongdae looked way too happy himself to express any discomfort at all.

So finally, Jongin was back, and closer to them than ever.

Only during the break Jongdae explained that the reason he's so exhausted was because he sat with Jongin until the little hours of the night the previous day to go over the school's materials and make sure he's up to date with the program. All while Jongin was in hospital it was his classmates who kept him updated, but ever since he returned home it was easier to have Jongdae do it instead. 

It did sound tiring, but Kyungsoo could tell Jongdae was actually quite excited himself to finally spend time in school while actively knowing and being proud that his brother is there with him. In the other class, of course, but it's just as meaningful. Kyungsoo felt all fuzzy inside from knowing just how kind hearted and amazing both Jongdae and Jongin are to have been through all of what they have, and still be able to continue their connection this strongly, now together.

He even saw Sohda walking around with Jongin during the break, talking, laughing. She looked genuinely glad to see him around again, with a soft looking smile plastered on her face even after the big change she's been through regarding her attitude and behaviour. The two of them must be a little closer since they are both in the same class together, and had more chances to bond with one another.

Kyungsoo knew that the most he could do was watch over them from afar, because he somehow found himself being a turning point in their lives in one way or another. For Sohda, confronting her own feelings and coming to the realizationg that she was just lying to herself for the sake of seeking validation. For Jongin, showing him that there is something worth waking up in the morning for, showing him that he is valued and deserving of having a good time and a good clean room, and also, the confrontation with the reason he had felt anything other than that to begin with, Jongdae.

Never in his life did he think he'd get involved with these people, or any people at all for that matter, but adventure in the name of Park Chanyeol found his way into Kyungsoo's life, and it has never been going the way he expected since.

 

 

This year for Valentine's, Kyungsoo planned to do exactly what he did last year as well. Except with a little addition. Every year, since the moment Kyungsoo learned whats the meaning behind the tradition of giving others chocolates, he spent an entire day before the date to prepare enough chocolates for the entire class. In middle school he would give the chocolate to the teachers for them to hand it out to the class, but his classmates often refused to eat it, being 'Doshio' and all, he found that they were scared of the chocolate being cursed, or even to contain poison or needles.

He kept doing it anyway, because he really wanted to show his class that he appreciated their presence in his life. Making their day a little sweeter shouldn't be such a big issue, right? In highschool's junior year it worked only because Chanyeol had agreed to take a piece first. And after he smiled and complimented the flavour of the chocolate in approval, everyone else had taken a piece as well.

This year Kyungsoo hoped that they will accept his gesture of appreciation as well. So he prepared extra hard the previous day.

But on top of that, this year he had more chocolate to give away to more people. To show a whole lot more than appreciation. Along with the normal batch of chocolate for his classmates, Kyungsoo had prepared another, way smaller amount, in way higher quality, that will be given to none other than Chanyeol alone. 

While working on the chocolate he avoided thinking about it because of how focused he was. But now on his way to school he started feeling overwhelmingly embarrassed for even thinking that giving Chanyeol a chocolate on Valentine's day will be a good idea.

Last year he wanted to do it as well, but ended up throwing the chocolate away after seeing just how many students have given Chanyeol chocolate already during the day at school. There's no way he could compete with any of them back then. But now... Now when the two of them are considered close friends by Chanyeol himself, maybe there will be a chance he will approve of the little choco gift and be able to enjoy it.

As he arrived to class in the morning, carrying an extra bag in his hand, both Baekhyun and Jongdae have given him a teasing smile. 
"Oooh~ You went above and beyond this year~ Is this for... Him?" Jongdae smiled, resting his elbows on Kyungsoo's table and grinning at him. There's only one 'him' Jongdae could be refering to, and he knew who that is. Kyungsoo could already feel his cheeks getting hotter by the thought, but it was still incorrect. The chocolate he was planning to give Chanyeol was located in his school bag, not the extra one he carried sepearately. 
"N-No---... This one is for---" His sentence was cut short by the noise of a large crowd approaching their classroom.

First it was Chanyeol who enetered the classroom, looking a little disheveled, behind him came Sehun, and after the two of them, a whole group of girls  and guys from different classes and grades around the school stood by the door and kept whining for Chanyeol to let them in. Holding different packaged chocolate bags in their hands. 

Kyungsoo's heart felt heavy at the sight. Just like last year... But even worse.  There's no way his chocolate will be remembered if Chanyeol is going to receive this many. He hasn't even planned when to give it to Chanyeol at all, and the day hasn't even started, yet his table is already filled with a mountain of chocolates.

He watched in silence how one of their classmates, Chanyeol's friend acted like a bouncer of some prestigious luxury club, and allowed only one girl or guy at a time into the classroom to hand Chanyeol their chocolate and say a few words. It felt odd, to see how Chanyeol thanked them all with a tired smile and placed it aside in a pile. How on earth is one person alone supposed to eat this many chocolates anyway? Don't the others who want to give him chocolate feel like it's kind of an impossible chance to get an actual heartfelt response when he already drowned in packages and bags of people who are seeking the same thing? Some stingy feeling in Kyungsoo's heart made him feel like he could understand why Sohda wanted to make sure nobody will be seeing Chanyeol as a possible love interest. It looked like torture.

Both Baekhyun and Jongdae also stared at the odd chocolate giving process for a bit, before giving Kyungsoo a look he knew meant that they're feeling sorry for him. 
"It's okay, this one is for everyone." Kyungsoo quickly shifted the atmosphere and placed his own chocolate bag on his table. 
"It's enough for the whole class to share, like last year." He explained. 
"Ahhh! I remember! It was so delicious. Did you use the same recipe this year too?" Baekhyun exclaimed with excitement, trying to sniff the air above the bag in an attempt to get a whiff of the sweet cocoa scent.

When the bell began ringing for classes to start, it seemed that only about half of the girls and guys waiting outside were able to fulfill their dream of handing Chanyeol their self made chocolates, also known as, their hearts and feelings. Because as they scattered to their own classes Kyungsoo could hear their disappointment. This would probably last through the entire day. He turned to see what sort of state Chanyeol was at, and could clearly see he wasn't truly enjoying it. Yes, he was thankful, because of course an angel like Chanyeol would appreciate the effort they have all put into their chocolates for him. But... He looked tired. Like none of it really mattered.

Kyungsoo, just as planned, gave his chocolate bag to the teacher so they'd share it in the classroom, when the opportunity rose. To hiss surprise, this year there was not a single student hesitating to try the chocolate on their own. Everyone seemed excited when it was their turn to receive a piece. Whoever tried it gave Kyungsoo a happy smile of approval, some even clapped or really complimented him for them. Even the teacher couldn't resist and tried a small piece.

He was quite stunned from the astounding positive reaction. Every single year it was an activity he was already prepared would go to waste in case people would be too afraid of his 'Doshio' image to even touch a chocolate he had made. But this year his entire class was beaming with happiness and gratitude for his efforts. Maybe they've all learned from the outdoors festival. With heated cheeks and a shy yet incredibly happy smile, Kyungsoo spent the rest of the classes until the break. Really... So much has changed ever since Chanyeol and the rest of his friends became an active part of his life.

When the break began, Chanyeol, who spent classes sitting in a pile of chocolates around him, rushed out of the classroom as fast as possible. Sehun however, took his time getting up.
"Whoa, where'd he run to?" Baekhyun asked, still surprised from just how urgent Chanyeol's rush seemed to be. 
"He's gonne hide in the teacher's office. Don't tell anyone I told you." Sehun replied, causing both Baekhyun and Jongdae to laugh. Not Kyungsoo, though.

Ah... So during the break would also be a bad time to approach Chanyeol with the chocolates. Honestly, at this point Kyungsoo is so discouraged about it, he might as well not give Chanyeol his special chocolates at all. Although he was happy when classmates gathered around his table during the break to compliment and discuss the chocolate recipe with him, Kyungsoo still felt like his time was running out.

The next break was only further reason for Kyungsoo to erase his little hopes. The crowd was scanning through the entire school to find Chanyeol in order to give him the chocolates. They weren't even afraid of Kyungsoo at that point, just to ask him if he knows where Chanyeol went since they knew Chanyeol sometimes hangs around him. If they're going as far as asking the one and only 'Doshio' for Chanyeol's whereabouts, he knew he has no chance.

 

 

Eventually the end of the school day has arrived, and Kyungsoo could only hope that the chocolate destined for Chanyeol hasn't fully melted inside his school bag. Although he had already given up, there was still a tiny little hope in him that maybe, since it's the end of the day, he'd be able to find Chanyeol in some sort of private scenario and hand him his own creation.

But after dealing with a whole day of people constantly confessing their true feelings towards him with their own chocolates, why would he feel any different towards Kyungsoo's expression of true appreciation and admiration towards him? Of course, Kyungsoo knew that giving him a chocolate on Valentine's day means a lot more than just this... He'd be giving Chanyeol his heart, in a sense.

Seeing the way Chanyeol kept getting surrounded even as Kyungsoo was leaving the school's grounds was the final straw that broke the camel's back. It was fine. Kyungsoo expected this to happen. He had already felt this before. He will give the chocolates to his parents instead. They'd be very happy to accept his love for them without a crowd of other people trying to do the same. It's beyond question to realize that he was pretty bummed about it. But what could he do, he simply wasn't strong or confident enough like Sohda or the others to push through and do such a thing.

Kyungsoo dealt with these feelings before. Last year he was a little more adamant on successfully handing Chanyeol his chocolates as a token of gratitude for treating him like a human being, but he still failed. And this year... Now that he knew what he was giving Chanyeol meant way more than a simple gesture of thankfulness, it somehow hurt a little bit more to come to the conclusion that he had failed again.

He took his time on the way home. He was walking slowly and even stopped every other step to reconsider his options again, only to come to the same result and giving up on the tiny spark of wish that popped inside him. lingering for a while longer at the usual spot where Chanyeol and him part after each day of school. It was always such a warm and meaningful spot in Kyungsoo's heart, yet today for some reason it felt awfully lonely to stand there and stare at the single turned off street light on his own. So lonely, that he began imagining Chanyeol calling his name from afar.

The calling repeated again and again until Kyungsoo finally realized that it was in fact, not his memory, but Chanyeol himself calling out his name from behind. He turned around, surprised to see Chanyeol running in his direction, nearly completely out of breath. He came running from a different direction than school's. Which means in the time it took Kyungsoo to reach this spot, Chanyeol had already gone somewhere, and returned. Wow, maybe he was taking this a little too seriously and moping too hard for something he had already known would be impossible.

Surprisingly, Chanyeol wasn't carrying any of the chocolates he had received during the day. Why would he run this much just to get to him? 
"Chanyeol? Are you alright?" He asked worriedly as Chanyeol finally reached him, crouching his upper body down with hands on his knees, and huffing out of massive effort. Kyungsoo could only see the way Chanyeol's ears were coated in pink, he must have ran for a while to reach here in this state.

Instead of saying anything, Chanyeol reached out and grabbed Kyungsoo's hand gently, he turned it to be facing upwards, then stood up straight and placed a tiny little tied bag in his hand. It was a small paper bag with a little ribbon wrapped around its top. Definitely looked hand wrapped. Kyungsoo blinked at the bag a little surprised, then raised his eyes to find any sort of hint of what it might be on Chanyeol's face. But Chaneyol just stood there, restoring his breath with a grin. A little bit of sweat was shining on his face, too. Giving him a certain glow.

Carefully he untied the ribbon and opened the bag just enough to look inside. As he did, he found that there lie unevenly cut pieces of what clearly looks like handmade chocolate. Huh..?
"When I saw you bring the chocolate for the class today, I realized I forgot mine. So here. I hope it's not too bad." Chanyeol said, calming down from his heavy breathing quite quickly. And Kyungsoo couldn't do much but stare in shock. 
"F-... For me...?" 
"Yup! I made more but all the rest got burned." Chanyeol admitted, looking shy as he averted his eyes sideways and began rubbing the back of his head with a little smile.

Kyungsoo's heart hasn't even resumed beating yet from the shock, so he took advantage of the moment of bravery that washed over him and grabbed onto Chanyeol's own hand as well, Turning it upwards just like he did before, he then placed the pack of chocolate he made for Chanyeol in his large palm, and lightly folded his long fingers to grab onto it on his own. He felt his face burning with heat, so there was no point to try and hide the fact that he was most definitely blushing. 
"This one also... Is for you." He looked at Chanyeol's hand for a while, feeling his entire body beating along with his loud heart. When he was finally able to look up and actually face Chanyeol's reaction, he found that more than just his ears were pink now. he looked flustered.

The two of them stood there in silence and stared at each other, one's face getting redder than the other, and Kyungsoo's heart was pounding hard in his ears. It lasted for quite a while until Chanyeol burst into short laughter, and grinned at Kyungsoo right after, looking extremely satisfied and happy. 
"Thank you! I'll eat it for sure. I dropped all of the other chocolates I received today at the kindergarten on my way home to grab this for you." He said, and Kyungsoo's mind got thrown into chaos.

First of all, Chanyeol giving the chocolates away this easily meant he really didn't even think of returning any of the feelings the people who gave him had for him. Which was something Kyungsoo had already guessed from the way his expression looked drained all day. Secondly, he was kind enough to bring it all to a kindergarten for other people to enjoy... He's so kind.

Third and very valuable, he ran all the way home and back here, hoping to meet Kyungsoo. Or so he understood from the way Chanyeol explained his reasoning for being so out of breath. And last but not least... He made chocolate by himself, wrapped it by himself... For Kyungsoo? No, there's no way. Kyungsoo couldn't believe it. But right then a blow of wind flew by, and raffled a small note that was attached to the one side of the pack he hasn't seen.

Quietly, Kyungsoo looked back down at the little pack in his hands again. He turned it around and read the note. 

'You're way sweeter than these, Cutie Kyungsoo.'

Suddenly, it felt way heavier, way more meaningful, and more like a precious treasure than it did before. Knowing that Chanyeol has gone through all that effort solely to give Kyungsoo chocolates on Valentine's day turned his insides into a mush. 

The two of them parted, barely saying a single word afterwards, as they were both enamored and immersed in their own respectfully received packs of handmade chocolate.

 

 

Only when Kyungsoo made it back home and began preparing for dinner he suddenly realized the true meaning behind the fact that the two of them have exchanged chocolates they've made specifically for one another, with one another. Valentine's day chocolates are supposed to be an unworded confession of love feelings towards the person one's making the chocolate for. 

So... Does the fact that the two of them gave each other chocolates they've made themselves mean they are technically exchanging the same sorts of feelings with one another? Is this the sort of unworded approval that the whole day is all about? Kyungsoo would have loved to believe that. But there's absolutely no way that Chanyeol shares the same romantic feelings to Kyungsoo, that Kyungsoo has for him.

Kyungsoo couldn't stop thinking about it all through dinner. And he didn't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but a little after dinner was done, he received a message from Chanyeol, too. 

[ The chocolate was delicious! Way better than the one you gave in class! ] 

[ Yours was also a treat. ] 
He replied humbly. The chocolate really was delicious. It didn't even matter what flavour it had. The fact that Chanyeol made it himself, especially with the thought of giving it to Kyungsoo in mind, made it the best thing he's ever eaten. 

[ I'm really happy. Happy Valentine's day Kyungsoo. ]
Chanyeol sent back, with a red heart right after. 

Kyungsoo got quite overwhelmed by the uncertaincy of Chanyeol's confession of happiness, and with the tremble of his fingers he accidentally sent Chanyeol an emoji of clapping hands instead of the one he intended. With a gasp he quickly searched and properly sent a heart right after. Moments later Chanyeol replies with a long line of 'hahaha' and another even longer line of different types of hearts. Every single possible heart emoji available to use. Kyungsoo could practically hear Chanyeol's laughter in his mind. Even through the loud beating of his own heart.

 

 

If he thought time was passing too fast until now, Kyungsoo could barely get a grasp on the fact that the final exam period of sophomore highschool year is coming to an end. Once this will be done, they'll be free of all responsibilities for the year, and school will turn into a gathering space for students to have fun rather than study. Last year, after the exams had ended, Kyungsoo didn't enjoy coming to school at all, because instead of actually doing something there he simply sat all day alone and watched his fellow classmates create memories together without him.

As the deadline for the exams was coming near, Chanyeol had suggested opening a studying group at school during the afternoons. Everyone approved their arrival, but in the end, only Sehun and Kyungsoo showed up to meet Chanyeol in their classroom. Sehun just napped through the entire study session, and when it was time to leave he said he came by just because he thought there will be snacks involved. It was funny, and resulted in only Chanyeol and Kyungsoo keeping up the study sessions at school on their own.

For the rest of their meetups Kyungsoo took Sehun's advice, and even brought some home made snacks and drinks for them to share so they wouldn't lose energy through it. Mostly for himself, because he knew he had a hard time studying hard for something when it's about school work. But Chanyeol has been so wonderful and patient towards him. Repeating the same explanation three and four times if he noticed Kyungsoo was still having troubles with something. 

After the weeks of stress and worries, final exams were over. Somehow, Kyungsoo had made it quite well. He wasn't as bright as to shine at the top of their class, but considering he got a positive average on every single one of the subjects, he was in a pretty good zone. More than anything, he kept thinking about how thankful he is for Chanyeol's hard work to help and teach him. Putting this much effort to bring him up out of his own will... Chanyeol's heart is so pure, and Kyungsoo loves him beyond all imagination.

 

 

The entire classroom could feel summer tingling at the tips of their fingers. Every hour spent in class felt like was sped up to double the usual speed because of the anticipation. It was already hot enough, barely anyone was wearing the school uniform's vest anymore. There was a buzz of excitement in the air for the summer plans to take place.

A bunch of classmates have began thinking about a fun activity to suggest as a final gesture of togetherness for the class to share together before summer finally started again. At first they came up with the idea of having another test of courage in the park at night, exactly like last year.

Except this year none of them worried about approaching Kyungsoo and asking him to act like the ghost again. Kyungsoo felt elavated, and so loved, that his classmates are trusting him enough and aknowledging the fact that his ghost-like self is actually no more than a wrong impression. Of course he agreed, building up layers and layers of excitement inside for the upcoming event, he was so glad he will be able to become useful for them again.

In the end however, the plan got scrapped and exchanged with a big event of karaoke with the whole class. Apparently one of the students' parent works there, and managed to book the event hall for all of them. This will be one of the greatest celebrations Kyungsoo has ever been to. There will be so many people from school there, too. He finally felt like a proper part of the class when he got invited by his actual classmates and not only after hearing about it from the ones who are his close friends.

"S-Should we dress in a special way for the event tonight?" Kyungsoo asked Baekhyun and Jongdae as they all began packing their schoolbags to head back home and begin preparing for the class party. 
"Nah~ Not really. Just make sure you're comfortable." Jongdae waved his hand dismissively.
"But you could try and look a little chic for somebody~" Baekhyun grinned teasingly, glancing over at Chanyeol's direction. Kyungsoo's heart thumped a bit stronger for a moment before he pouted at Baekhyun shyly. 
"Hahaha so cuteee!" Baekhyun wrapped Kyungsoo into a hug as they exit the classroom.

Later that afternoon, Kyungsoo stood in front of his closet for at least half an hour, just trying figure out which combination of clothes will look 'chic' together like Baekhyun mentioned. Most of his attire consists of black, but there's a limit to how innovative black can be. After digging a little through his closet he found a pair of light blue jeans. And with that discovery, he managed to throw on an outfit that wouldn't make him look too grim.

He arrived right on time, wearing a black short polo shirt with white outlines, and the pair of light blue jeans that he had folded upwards at the bottom of his ankles to avoid dragging the fabric on the ground under his shoes. It was something he's used to doing due to his relatively small frame. He felt comfortable and formal at the same time, and once he entered, he was very glad to see Jongdae already there chatting with a few other classmates. Baekhyun and Sehun arrived together shortly after. And the last to appear was Chanyeol. Dressed in a pair of black jeans and a printed T-shirt with a cool design.

Shortly after everybody's arrival, the class president, none other than Seungwan, raised a toast of juice and congratulated everyone for passing the year, she also greeted them with health and safety through the summer's freedom. And then, after all the formal seriousness, the fun began. Quicker than Kyungsoo had anticipated the whole area became noisy and loud with chatter.

People were singing, playing games, eating, drinking, just standing and chatting, it felt a lot like the previous event they've thrown in the karaoke room, but this time everyone were way more excited, and looked way more formal. It really felt like an event of an ending of some sort. Like everyone were trying to make the best out of it because they know it'll be the last chance to do so until next school year begins.

Obviously, Kyungsoo's attention gravitated towards Chanyeol. Although he was doing various other things with Jongdae, Baekhyun and some other classmates, he couldn't help himself. He kept watching Chanyeol from afar. Seeing how he's having fun, being so kind to everyone, laughing, teasing other students. It was beautiful. It made Kyungsoo feel double the amount of happiness he would have felt for only himself.

At some point Chanyeol had even approached him and suggested hanging together in the party. Baekhyun and Jongdae grinned while parting from him. He knew they were happy to see that Kyungsoo got to spend time with Chanyeol alone, even if they're surrounded by other people. The two of them sat and talked with a few classmates for a while, then they played a few rounds of billiard at the table, then Chanyeol even convinced Kyungsoo to sing in the karaoke, which surprised many of their school fellows in the event to hear that he was able to sing so well.

Before Kyungsoo realized the time was passing, the event has come to an end. Students began leaving in a steady stream. Even Baekhyun, Jongdae, Jongin and Sehun greeted him goodbye before exiting the room. Eventually, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo parted with the few classmates who remained in the building, and began making their way back home together. Since their path continued to walk them so.

On their way home everything felt good. The air was clear and cool compared to the daytime's heat, the sky was shining brightly with stars and no clouds to hide them. The spring has given the streets a coat of greenery and many other colors of different flowers and plants. The colors were bright and noticeable even in the darkness of the night. Everything felt good, and alive. Kyungsoo did too. Chanyeol was the one holding most of the conversation, although the journey started in silence, Chanyeol began speaking at some point, and it made everything even better.

He talked about how happy he was that summer vacation is coming, because he wouldn't have to spend so much time on school responsibilities anymore, and maybe even improve his opportunities when it comes to his musical passions. He talked about how many things he hoped he'll be able to do during the summer, like hiking, like going to the beach, watching movies, and many more. He talked about how glad he is that the heat is back, because winter is always tough for him to get through with how the cold always pierces right into his bones. Kyungsoo could listen to him talk forever. And at this moment it felt like the two of them really will be able to let it happen. With Chanyeol's easy flow of conversation and Kyungsoo's rightfully timed gestures and hums of interest and understanding. 

But eventually, just like every single time they have to part ways, they've made it to the usual spot under the streetlight, which signaled the divergence of their paths to reach home. Honestly, Kyungsoo would have loved to continue standing and chatting right there, and it seemed like Chanyeol was also willing to allow this to proceed. But everything comes to an end, and that includes this night. 

Everything does come to an end, but it still isn't the end of the world. Although summer vacation means there will be no school to see Chanyeol at, the two of them still have each other's numbers, and although Kyungsoo was still nervous and shy, he knew he could contact Chanyeol at any time and get a reply.
They've exchanged a friendly goodbye with each other, he turned and began walking away.

Kyungsoo was happy. He truly was. But for some reason, thinking more and more about the fact that he wouldn't have any actual reason to see Chanyeol for so long during the summer, other than his own possible selfishness, made him feel stressed. Like time was running out and disappearing between his fingers. There's so much he wanted to tell Chanyeol, so much he'd say if only he had the time. 

He's going to miss him so much. He's going to miss having Chanyeol sit beside him in class, he's going to miss the smiles they exchanged, the lessons he's learned from him, the warmth and radiating liveliness that oozes off of Chanyeol at all times. How would he possibly spend the entire summer without his sun? 

He has to tell him. He has to let Chanyeol know.
Something suddenly pierced deep inside his heart, and with every step he took further away from Chanyeol's house, he felt like more and more sand was spilling out of an hourglass counting back the time. His breathing turned a little heavy when he realized that his hands were shaking.

 

 

He wants to see him again. They've just parted ways... But he wants to see Chanyeol again. There was a large black hole sinking everything inside him, he can't allow this to happen. It is time. Kyungsoo himself wasn't sure what this feeling of urgency was, but he knew it was time. Time for something big.

Kyungsoo stopped in his spot and made a sharp turn all the way around, it felt like the stars in the sky were all rooting for him. In quick steps, he began walking back in the path towards Chanyeol's house. Following the path he remembered from the last time he visited him. He knew that the situation at their place is a little sensitive, so he waited outside the gate and called Chanyeol on the phone instead when he made it over. It was answered only after a single ring.

"Kyungsoo? Hey, is everything alright?" Chanyeol sounded worried. 
"Yes, could you... Uhm. Could you please come down?" He asked, a little nervous. The curtain of the window on the second floor moved, and behind the glass Chanyeol's face stared down at him in surprise. 
"Right there." He heard Chanyeol say before the call was hung up. Less than a minute later, Chanyeol rushed outside of his house and towards Kyungsoo.

He really wanted to tell everything he just felt to Chanyeol. Although, now having Chanyeol stand in front of him like this made him doubt whether or not this will be a smart decision. But instead of falling back to his old ways of fear and worry, Kyungsoo decided to trust the confidence he had learned to grow thanks to Chanyeol, and go with his gut instead. He stood there in front of Chanyeol nervously for a little while, but after a gulp, took one of his hands and held it between his own two palms.

"I like you." Kyungsoo said, looking down at the large hand he's holding, feeling his heart slowly speeding to catch up with what he's doing. 
"No, I love you, Chanyeol. I can't---... I can't hold it in anymore... Otherwise my heart will just explode right inside my chest." He tightened the hold on Chanyeol's hand a little and huffed out, still unable to raise his head and look up.

"E-Ever since I met you, back when I showed you the direction to school, I began admiring you... Even on that day, you already showed me kindness. Other people would have apologized to me and ran away... But you, you smiled, and thanked me--- And... I felt like I finally really exist." Kyungsoo thought he'd be done with what he had in his heart once he'd confessed to Chanyeol how he felt, but it seemed that he felt a lot more than he realized. There's no stopping it now.

"I always saw you being surrounded by people, and I wanted to become more like you. I wanted to be able to spread happiness and joy the same way." He sighed, his hands were shaking a little. 
"Even without trying, you taught me a lot. I used to be afraid of approaching people because of the first impressions everyone always had of me." His mind recalled memories of disappointment and painful loneliness. 
"I am Doshio, after all, everybody knew that." Kyungsoo sighed again. "But ever since we began talking, well... More like, ever since you began talk to me, I gained so much confidence."

Kyungsoo was very glad that his hands didn't start sweating yet. 
"I feel like a new person now. I can trust my own feelings, and I know how to understand what other people are feeling. It's all thanks to you." He continued, feeling like his entire body is burning in flames from the inside.

"At the beginning I wanted to be like you... And now, now I want to become someone who would be good enough for you to accept. Someone worthy of being liked by you." Kyungsoo gulped. 
"I thought you were like a perfect god, a flawless being above everyone else. But... You put your trust in me, and showed me that you are not perfect--- And it only made me love you more--- It made me understand that I'm not ranked below anyone else like I've always thought." His eyebrows drew together. 

"You're the complete opposite of me... But that means, I'm the opposite of you, too. You made me feel like your equal, even right now, you're listening to what I have to say. You changed my life, you gave me the opportunities to grow and learn---... And through them all," He nearly choked on his breath, knowing that the words that formed in his mind were embarrassing. 
"I've learned that I love you." Kyungsoo finally finished talking, letting it all out. Or at least he hoped he did. His mind was in such a mess that he wasn't even sure whether or not he was able to express everything that was beating restlessly in his heart all this time.

It took him several moments of fast breathing to gather enough courage and finally look up in the face of the one he had just confessed his true feelings to. He was surprised, to say the least, from seeing the way Chanyeol's head was turned to the side, and his other hand is covering his mouth out of Kyungsoo's view. Is... Is he laughing at him? Is he sad? Is he disappointed

Kyungsoo's heart was beating so loudly in his ears that he couldn't concentrate enough on reading what sort of expression Chanyeol was wearing. But more than anything, he was very afraid right now, that he might have crossed a line he wouldn't be able to return to. Actually, he knew he had already crossed it at the moment he realized what sort of feelings he has towards Chanyeol.

 

 

"Ever since middle school..." Chanyeol began, the lower half of his face still covered by his hand.
"I think about fifty different people confessed to me... But only now. Only now because it was YOU who said it, my heart feels like it's going to burst." He said, and Kyungsoo's eyes widened in surprise. 
"T-That's what I feel about you--- All the time!" He quickly explained.

"Kyungsoo..." Chanyeol said, then sighed and removed the hand from his face, revealing that his cheeks and nose are as red as Kyungsoo imagined his own face to be at the moment. The large hand held between his palms freed itself, and was then wrapped over Kyungsoo's own two hands. So instead of him holding Chanyeol's one hand, Chanyeol made them hold hands together. All four limbs connected.

His expression turned a little more serious after he exhaled slowly. 
"I've always had a good impression of you. From the moment I first saw you, when you guided me to school. You caught my interest. You were so cute, still are, and peculiar, and your smile is so beautiful. I've never seen anyone like you before." Chanyeol began talking himself, and Kyungsoo suddenly felt like the roles between them exchanged. Because now it was Kyungsoo who's staring at Chanyeol, and Chanyeol was the one unable to make eye contact in return, so he stared at their hands.

"We ended up in the same class, and I was so curious to learn what kind of person you were. At first I had no idea what to think, because I never got to see you smile again after that morning." Whoa... Does that mean Chanyeol had actually remembered him from that moment all this time? Kyungsoo hasn't realized that Chanyeol was watching him at all. 
"Of course, I figured you were a really good and kind person, since you've always taken the school tasks nobody wanted to do upon yourself..." He sighed. 
"Only later I realized that nobody took these tasks because they knew you'd save them the trouble." His eyebrows frowned together in seriousness, and Kyungsoo felt his hands being sqeezed lightly.

"But you were a lot more than just nice and kind. A whole lot more. When I started talking with you, I felt like my world had expanded. You brought so many new things to me. New emotions... New thoughts... I learned so much, it felt like my eyes had been reopened." What...? Kyungsoo has never done anything important or impressive or good towards Chanyeol. Chanyeol has given him so much and yet he wasn't able to do anything half as amazing as him in return. Is it really alright for Kyungsoo to trust Chanyeol finding him to be a kind person?

"You've changed so much." Chanyeol smiled lightly, and Kyungsoo began worrying. "In a good way. See, I can even talk with you openly like this now." Chanyeol's smile grew a little, and he shut his eyes in order to exhale again. 

"You were feeling all these things you just told me... But I'm the one who's been admiring you, Kyungsoo. For standing up for your heart's truth, and working hard, doing your very best to achieve every one of your goals." Chanyeol nodded, eyes still on their hands. 
"You made friends with Jongdae and Baekhyun just like you said you wanted to. You overcame so many fears, and honestly, inspired me with your courage." Kyungsoo didn't know how to process any of what's being said.

"I don't understand why you ever thought I was perfect. I'm foolish, I act too quickly, I'm scared of so many things, I'm so emotional and selfish, wanting things to always go my way... If anything, it's the other way around. You thought you wanted to become like me... But all this time, I wanted to become more like you, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol kept talking, and Kyungsoo's heart kept expanding inside his chest with every word.

"Ever since you showed up, everything has just fallen so perfectly into place. Your arrival into everybody's lives... Including mine, made everything better, and brighter. You gave us so much hope. Connecting Junmyeon and Sehun... Helping Baekhyun and Yixing... Even providing a reason for Jongdae and Jongin to patch themselves up." Kyungsoo could see something bright shining in Chanyeol's eyes, even though they're still directed at their hands being held together.
"You were there to hold me when I was in the lowest of lows. You've become my hope, my light, my future." He said gently. 

Then there was silence. Only the ruffle of the tree tops brushing in the wind could be heard. And maybe a single car's engine echo from a few blocks away. Even with all that Chanyeol had just said, Kyungsoo cannot be sure what the actual response to his confession would be.

Kyungsoo is in love with Chanyeol, it's the very core of his existence. It's the lava at the center of his body, just like planet earth. He opened himself up wholly in front of Chanyeol, and now, he will come to face the result of everything that he had done, wrong or right, with Chanyeol, through the year. 

This day will become a part of his most memorable moments in life. Regardless of the outcome. It'll be written in his history as either a celebratory holiday, or a mourning scar on his heart. Whatever will happen, Kyungsoo was scared. Both of these were too great of events to have a fifty chance to debate between. And out of all of the risks Kyungsoo had to take through the year, this was the greatest of them all. Now that his feelings are out there in the world, nothing will ever be the same.

 

 

Then, suddenly, the grip on his hands tightened a lot more, and Chanyeol sighed heavily, almost like he's frustrated. 
"Kyungsoo, I'm sorry, but could you take your confession back?" Chanyeol asked, making Kyungsoo's heart drop to the bottom of his feet and nearly lose balance. Whatever hopes had been building inside him all stood in the air unattached.

Kyungsoo's mind suddenly leaped back to Sohda. When she told him that Chanyeol rejected her kindly, she wasn't lying. This must be the way Chanyeol rejected her as well. He made her feel loved enough to hold on to something, but then revealed that his feelings were not the same anyway. Soon enough, the 'Thank you' will come, and Kyungsoo will know that it is the end.

Could it be...? Is this going to turn into a heart break? Kyungsoo wouldn't be too surprised. He had been living on false hopes ever since it all began. He strayed too far away from the isolation and loneliness that were truly, his entire life. Now will be the time for him to submerge back into his 'Doshio' identity, and never try to become something that he clearly isn't---

"I feel really selfish for this, I know I'm being an idiot, but I wanted to be the one to tell you all of this first. I wanted to be the one to gather enough courage, and be as strong as you," His voice sounded regretful 
"And tell you that I love you, first." Kyungsoo's heart spiked right back up into his chest. 
"I was a coward, and a fool, I was so afraid that I'd scare you off..." Chanyeol spoke sharply, like he's getting filled with anger directed at himself. 
"I should have done it a lot sooner." But at least Kyungsoo was able to breathe when he understood he wasn't being thrown away.

"Kyungsoo, you've become the light in my darkness, and it doesn't even matter what other people might think. I love you. I started increasingly loving you from the moment I saw you smile at me for the first time--- I know it's cheesy, but it's true. And I want you to be mine---... I want you to smile at me like that all the time... I want to be the one to make you smile." Chanyeol's words were so clear and strong that they entered right through Kyungsoo's shell of fears and worries. They reached right into the depths of his heart. 
This was it. This wass everything Kyungsoo had ever dreamed of, coming true right in front of him.

Finally, after all this time, Chanyeol raised his face enough to make eye contact with Kyungsoo. His head was lowered, he was still standing tall, but he looked so small and shy. His thumbs began rubbing on the back of Kyungsoo's hands. 
"W-Would you take me, then? And teach me how to love you right...?" He asked quietly, Kyungsoo could feel his heart beating even in his hands, although at this point he wasn't sure if these were his own heart beats or Chanyeol's.

Quietly, Kyungsoo released his hands from Chanyeol's hold, seeing the way his eyes widened. But before allowing him to think anything, he stepped closer to him and wrapped his own arms tightly around his sides, burying his face into Chanyeol's chest, and immediately hearing the way his heart was beating out of control. 
"I-If you take me, I'm yours." He said quietly against Chanyeol's beloved body heat and scent. Feeling Chanyeol's arms slowly yet lovingly wrapping around him and pulling him further in.

This was heaven. This was the definition of what heaven is made of. Kyungsoo was sure of that. Are there even any words to describe the way he was feeling? He felt chanyeol. He felt Chanyeol, and that's the only thing he truly wanted. 

Happiness began flooding all of his systems, filling him with the overflowing love that has been contained within him for so long. For the first time in his life, Kyungsoo learned what it's like to physically feel love. Not only towards someone else, but also what it's like to physically receive love. The way Chanyeol was holding around him was more than he ever imagined being loved would feel like.

He didn't have anything else to hide. No reason to hold back anymore. Like a container that had just emptied everything, he was getting refilled with hope,ease ,ambitions, and Chanyeol. 
So, is that it? Now that Kyungsoo had confessed his love to Chanyeol, and Chanyeol had, shockingly, confessed his love to Kyungsoo, what does it make them? Where do they stand?

 

 

When they parted from the meaningful hug, it felt like they were both just as shocked and clueless about the situation. Kyungsoo stood there quietly staring at Chanyeol, and Chanyeol kept looking back and forth between his house and Kyungsoo while rubbing the back of his head.

"Do you... Want to sleep over tonight?" Chanyeol then asked, breaking the highly heated silence between them. Kyungsoo nodded, he didn't know what words can be said, and the two of them got inside. Chanyeol prepared an extra bed right beside his own, but insisted on letting Kyungsoo sleep in his bed instead of the extra one. 
The atmosphere between them was extremely confusing. Not necessarily awkward, because they both accepted the fact that they are just as new to this as the other, but rather just, uncertain. Neither of them knew what to do or how to behave now, after they've exposed their deepest of feelings to one another.

"Chanyeolie..." Kyungsoo mumbled quietly at one point, when they were already starting to drift into dreamland in the darkness of Chanyeol's room. 
"Yes?" He answered, turning over to lie in Kyungsoo's direction. Kyuyngsoo adjusted himself closer to the edge of the bed, and looked down at the way the night's sky is reflecting on Chanyeol's eyes. Then without saying a word, he lowered his hand towards Chanyeol out of the bed.

Chanyeol smiled gently, and held onto it lightly, before moving slightly, and kissing the top of Kyungsoo's palm. It sent a tingle of warmth all through Kyungsoo's body, so he kept his hand there on purpose. It was so... Hot. Almost sensual in a way. 

Kyungsoo had never felt like he craved any touch before in his life, and yet there he was, having his heart jumping with excitement as Chanyeol continued to kiss his hand several more times before laughing. 
"You're so cute." Chanyeol eventually said in a deep airy voice, and Kyungsoo immediately rolled over to face the other side of the bed, hidden tightly under the blanket in embarrassment. Chanyeol kept laughing lightly. 

What are all of these sensations? Kyungsoo was sure that by confessing and expressing his true feelings he'd be able to feel less tense and embarrassed around Chanyeol. But now everything he does only swoons him even more. He's really doomed isn't he.

Mere hour ago the most extreme images that would pop up in his mind about an activity to do with Chanyeol were things like holding hands, or sitting beside each other. But while being drowned in Chanyeol's scent, warmth, he felt like he'd be imprinted onto him. And his imagination had stepped up a notch. Now his desires contain way more lips involving businesses, and he felt like he could explode if he allowed his mind to run on its own.

 

 

So, they are dating. That's the descriptive title of their current relationship. Or at least that's what they are going to trust, since Chanyeol's mother explained to them that this is the word that fits the nature of their connection at the moment, after they told her they have confessed to each other during breakfast.

It made Kyungsoo feel quite stressed at the start, because he kept fearing and worrying about the implications of such a connection with Chanyeol. But Chanyeol's mother, such a wonderful and kind woman, reassured the two of them that there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling and experiencing love towards each other.

She told them about how she and Chanyeol's father used to date, and gave them many tips and advices on what to do and how to spend the time together in a pleasant manner regardless of what activities they choose to venture into. Honestly, it helped Kyungsoo relax quite a lot, and gave him the confidence to try harder to not hold anything he thinks and feels back anymore. Chanyeol's mother explained that being this close to someone, means that they will have to continuesly communicate with each other, to keep the connection healthy and honest.

They're still so young, and there's so much more for them to learn about intimacy and closeness when they'll finish highschool and turn eighteen. But they've still got a lot of time, and neither of them are in a rush. Everything they do comes from joy and ease. 

Summer is coming, and Kyungsoo had finally learned that there is no need to worry about the fact that he will continue falling deeper and deeper in love with Chanyeol. They are now bound together. They'll learn how to fully trust one another and function as a unit. As exciting as watching Chanyeol from afar had been until that point, Kyungsoo definitely preferred being able to see him from up close. 

Kyungsoo doesn't even need to change himself and become anything like anybody else. If Chanyeol loves him the way he is, the only thing he could work on, was to grow more and better himself up. Be a better version of himself, and encourage Chanyeol to do the same. Even though Kyungsoo seriously didn't know if it was possible for Chanyeol to become even better than the way he already is.

All this time Kyungsoo had learned how to love others, and now will be his time to learn how to be loved.