Chapter 2

Doshio

 

Summer vacation was over before Kyungsoo could notice.

He had a surprisingly great summer. The best summer of his life, actually. He had so much to do, and so much to think about even when he wasn't doing anything important in particular. He didn't feel remotely bored even once. Coming to school every other day during the summer was almost a theraputic experience for him. Mostly because Kyungsoo enjoys and appreciates the silence. 

It was very uncomfortably hot, but then again, it was so peaceful and quiet there with no other students. Only a few teachers were around, his own teacher, himself, and... Chanyeol. 
The two of them came to school twice a week for the entirety of these two vacation months. They helped transporting books from one place to another around the school, making photocopies of sheets for next year's juniors, repainting some walls, and even fixing a few windows that get opened and closed often during the year. It was a strange job. Especially because neither of them got paid for any of their efforts with money.

Alas, their time hasn't gone to waste, at least for Kyungsoo. Because he got paid with his one and only icon's company. After every day of work the two of them would sit down in the garden and eat their lunch boxes together. They talked about the weather, their families, their plans, their shared love for music, tips and tricks to study, movies, and a thousand other things that Kyungsoo was more than happy to learn.

Pretty early on, after barely three times they've worked at the school in the morning, Chanyeol asked Kyungsoo out for a movie. Of course, it wasn't meant to be an actual date or anything like that. But even shy and nervous Kyungsoo couldn't hold against Chanyeol's charming dimpled smile when he asked if they could go watch a new movie that came out together when they're done. Kyungsoo did mention that he's interested in the movie, but he certainly didn't expect to be whipped into actually watching it in the cinema with someone else.

After years of going to the cinema alone, it was quite an adventure.

That same day as they were done with the job at school, with no stop, they made it to their local mall where the cinema is located. With not much energy left after their school duty, they ate a simple lunch at one of the takoyaki stands in the mall's food court, then purchased their movie tickets. Except, they had at least a whole hour to wait until the movie will screen.

Chanyeol seemed a little lost when it came to spending the time around, so Kyungsoo felt lucky he was able to show him one of his most incredible skills. Occupying himself on his own. Being surrounded by people all the time, Kyungsoo kind of expected that Chanyeol wouldn't be too knowledgable when it comes to spending time alone. With a smile, he led the two of them around the mall. Stopping in front of fun little activities like a game that takes one's picture and distorts it in funny ways, or a game that depends on movement detection, the mall is filled with things Kyungsoo is used to playing whenever he comes to watch a movie alone.

He was pretty pleased with the fact that it seemed like Chanyeol had fun. Before the movie began, they made their way to the snack store before entering their theatre. Now, Kyungsoo knows very well that any snacks there are not healthy. But he can't help himself. He purchased himself nachos, and sprite. 
"Cheese sauce~ Cheese sauce~" He hummed as the two have made their way to their seats. Only then he found out that Chanyeol had ordered exactly the same as him.

Maybe Chanyeol spends so much time with people that he doesn't know what else to get, since there's no way that they have such similar taste in this as well. Realizing they both enjoy the same music was already enough of a shock for Kyungsoo.

He was sure he'd be nervous to watch anything with Chanyeol sitting beside him, he felt the stress creeping up on him when the commercials began. But soon after, he got pretty hooked in the movie, and completely forgot that anyone came there with him at all. Chanyeol disappeared from his thoughts for these mere two hours.

But he came right back when Kyungsoo turned and saw him smile so warmly in his direction. Which brought back all of his shyness and stressed fear of being at the center of attention in Chanyeol's eyes.

"It was fun! I really enjoyed. A few scenes could have been done better, but I got pretty immersed in the movie... I feel a little bad, I forgot you were there." Chanyeol admitted as they walked out of the theatre, throwing the leftovers of their nachos away. 
"Me too!" Kyungsoo responded quickly, resulting in the two of them staring at each other. Chanyeol then began laughing softly. 
"I'd love to do this again. With a different movie of course!" This time Kyungsoo couldn't respond as quickly, because he felt a little overwhelmed from the fact that Chanyeol actually said that. Does that mean he did alright? He's incredibly happy though.

They ended up going to three more movies together until the vacation ended. Throughout these two months, they went to watch four movies in the theatre together. Kyungsoo was in bliss. It was incredible. 

Chanyeol was so amazing, and the fact that he could easily understand Kyungsoo and the way he feels instead of getting scared like everyone else, helped Kyungsoo open up even more towards him. The constant shyness and nervousness still lingered above his head like a cloud of unexplained emotions that aren't quite the same as his general admiration towards Chanyeol as a role model, though, but it was alright because with a single smile Chanyeol could make everything else in the world disappear for a moment.

For the last week of the vacation they didn't need to come to school anymore, so they haven't spoken to each other. But Kyungsoo knew that this summer was the best he's ever had. 

School began again, and the first week has been pretty confusing and slightly chaotic. Nothing out of the ordinary. It's usually like that. So there was no surprise there. However, one thing changed drastically for Kyungsoo. Every morning when one of them arrived to class, Chanyeol would greet him with a dimple smiled 'Good morning' before turning back to the classroom business he's always surrounded with. Really, it was way more than enough for Kyungsoo to remain above water with happiness.

 

 

"Don't forget your umbrella today!" Kyungsoo's mom called at him as he put on his shoes to leave. "Okay, thanks mom!"

Little drops kept tapping on the plastic of the black umbrella above his head. Kyungsoo doesn't really like the rain that much. Because it usually gives a feeling of vacancy. The streets are nearly empty, everyone are so distanced from each other, being busy taking cover under their own personal umbrellas instead of making eye contact or seeing the sky. Something about the sun missing just felt foreign, even if these are just the usual summer rains.

As he made his way to school, Kyungsoo noticed a carton box stranded at the side of the street, right under the light rain. There was nobody around, but as he stepped closer, he noticed a note was attached to it. 

[ 'Please adopt me.' ]

Was written on it, and inside rested a small fluffy kitten curled in itself and shivering from the wetness of the rain. 

Kyungsoo's heart came out to the little fella. He leaned down and placed his own umbrella down on the pavement, in an angle that will cover the box from the rain. 
"I hope someone nice will adopt you." He whispered to the kitten before going on his way towards school with the rain now slowly dripping down directly on him and drenching him. It's not that much of an issue for his health, since it's warm, as much as it is for his school uniform.

By the time he made it to school he was already soaking wet. Water dripping down from a few strands of his hair, drabbling over his face and making him look even more ghostly than normal. When he greeted the people good morning like he always does in an attempt to becomne friendly with his schoolmates, they showed strong signs of fear, even more than usual. Staying away from him.

Hah, he can't blame them. It really is funny. He's dripping wet, leaving a trail of water behind him as he walks the halls, he reminded himself of a ghost too. But he will still try his best and approach people in the future. One rainy day wouldn't make him give up.

When he arrived to class he realized his only mean of drying up will be provided by his trusty yet tiny handkerchief, so all he could do was his best to try and dry himself up with it. At least his face would do, right? The hair will dry on its own during the day eventually.

Shortly after, Chanyeol entered the class, also soaking wet just like Kyungsoo. Except at the moment he entered, a bunch of friends and classmates gathered around him. Kyungsoo felt a sense of pride in how incredible Chanyeol is. Having so many people care this much about his safety. He watched how Chanyeol pulled out his own towel and attempted to dry out. But then, by accident, they made eye contact, and Kyungsoo froze in his spot motionless.

After a moment of staring at each other Chanyeol simply walked towards him, leaving the group that gathered around him behind as if they didn't exist, and examined him from head to toe with his eyes. 

"What is this, how did you get drenched as well? Did you forget your umbrella?" Chanyeol asked with a hint of worry. Kyungsoo shook his head and wiped a single water drop from his cheek. He would have explained, but isn't it super embarrassing to admit he had given his umbrella to a little cat in a box? 

"Ah.. what about you?" He asks instead. Chanyeol smiles goofily, his dimple sneaking on his cheek playfully. "I forgot mine." He said with a grin, but then seemed curious. 
"Do you have your sports uniform to change into?" He asked instead, and ksoo then realized that this might have been a great idea to bring these clothes with him next time there's supposed to be rain pouring on a school day.

Out of the blue, suddenly Chanyeol called out to Baekhyun who was sitting together with jongdae as they are watching a video on their phone together. 
"Baekhyun!" The other raises his head curiously. "Sup?"
"Do you have your sports uniform here?" Baekhyun thought for a little while, then got up. "Pretty sure I should have it in my locker."
"Could you lend them to him for today?" Chanyeol asked. Kyungsoo blinked in surprise. Huh? Was chanyeol actually arranging this for his sake?

His question got answered when he noticed Chanyeol's finger being pointed at him as he spoke to Baekhyun.
Baekhyun smiled and nodded in approval, standing up. 
"Sure!" As he opened his locker at the back of the classroom. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo approached him, and he placed the folded clean uniform in his hands. It smelled surprisingly fresh and clean, so Kyungsoo couldn't help but feel very relieved he wouldn't be forced to wear someone's sweaty uniform. 
"Ah, thank you very much!" He quickly bowed, and as he turned around to leave the classrom and go switch his clothes, he felt something soft land on top of his wet head.

"It might be a little wet cause I used it as well, but it must be better than a small handkerchief, right?" Chanyeol said while smiling down to him, his hand resting on his towel that is now placed on top of ksoo's head. Ah... It's warm. And soft. Kyungsoo felt that his heart was growing warmer and warmer with veneration and gratefulness. He's so happy and lucky to have such wonderful kind people as his classmates. Or even maybe even future friends. He hoped it'll turn to friends one day. They are so simply amazing. 
"Thank you." He nodded, then headed out of the class to change in the toilets.

 

 

After changing, he was glad that the clothes actually fit him pretty well even though they're a bit too big. Baekhyun isn't as similar to him in size as he thought. When standing in front of the mirror he did his best to use the towel he received from Chanyeol to dry his hair. 

However suddenly he smelled a whiff of it and his hands froze. He brought the towel to his nose and sniffed it again, his heart warming up in his chest. It smelled incredible. It smells really, really good. Like clean laundry and... Like Chanyeol. Like his shampoo perhaps more accurately. And it was great. With adoration to the smell Kyungsoo wrapped the towel around his head like a grandmother would, and headed back to class with the scent constantly going up his nose relaxing his mind through the halls.

Kyungsoo was worried that after the summer spent with him, Chanyeol will return to being quite distant towards him like it was before they got to know each other over the summer, but knowing that he will go as far as he did today for his sake made him feel bad for even doubting how good of a person Chanyeol truly is. 

His kindness knows no limits, and he treated Kyungsoo with nothing but respect and gentleness ever since the first day of highschool last year. He pays attention to the little details, and goes out of his way, just like with this towel, to make sure Kyungsoo is alright. This is far beyond anything anyone has ever done for him. And it only increases just how deeply Kyungsoo percieves Chanyeol's part in his life.

Chanyeol hasn't asked for his towel even once. So Kyungsoo allowed himself to wear it proudly around his neck. At the end of the day though, to pay back for the kindness of Chanyeol's towel and Baekhyun lending him his sports uniform, Kyungsoo had bought the two of them, and Jongdae, some juice from the vending machine he knows they love getting juice from in school. He placed them on their tables before they returned to grab their bags, and left the classroom, hoping that they'd be able to enjoy the drinks for their good deeds. 

But before he could even walk away far enough, he heard Chanyeol call out his name behind him. 
"Hey, is this from you?" He asked. Kyungsoo quickly turned in surprise, and couldn't do much but nod in reply, quite shyly, considering Chanyeol's towel was still wrapped around his neck. 

"Yes, thank you for the towel..."He mumbled as Chanyeol approached him. 
"Oh... Thank god it's from you..." Chanyeol's voice sounded relieved. Kyungsoo looked up at him, only to see him staring at the juice, looking almost shy himself. 
"I dont know how awful it would make you feel if I asked it, and it wasn't you... You know. Sometimes I say things, or act without thinking..." He admitted, then smiled at Kyungsoo apologetically. "For a moment I thought even giving you the towel would be crossing the line." he laughed at it. Well, more like at himself, sounding unexpectedly nervous.

Kyungsoo stared up at him quietly, then shook his head. 
"I'm very grateful, you really saved me there." he smiles at Chanyeol gently and thankfully, feeling heat slowly spread on his cheeks. 
"Is that milk?" Chanyeol glanced down at the bottle Kyungsoo was holding in his hands, and Kyungsoo stared down at it too, as if surprised he had milk himself. He nearly forgot about the fact he's holding anything in his hands at all while talking with Chanyeol. 

"Ah, yes, it's for the cat."
"Oh! You like cats? I saw a cat today! It was a stray though. I played with it under the rain." Chanyeol said enthusiastically. 
"A stray...? You mean the one in the box?" Kyungsoo asked, and the two of them blinked at each other, realizing they are talking about the exact same cat.

They decided they'd pay it a visit, and shortly after, they arrived at the box in the street. It's no longer raining like it did in the morning, so luckily the fact that Kyungsoo didn't have his umbrella with him was no burden on them on the way.

"Aaah~ So this is your umbrella. That's why you came to school drenched." Chanyeol exclaimed as he leaned down towards the box. The kitten inside began tumbling its way towards him from within. 
"This is embarrassing." Kyungsoo mumbled quietly as he watched the cat. 
"Yeah, kind of... Your name is even written on it." Chanyeol said and showed the umbrella to him. Kyungsoo couldn't bear to face him after this discovery, so he opened the milk bottle and poured it out into the cap for the cat to drink for a while. The two of them just appreciated this wholesome feeling of a tiny kitten drinking milk together in silence, until it was done and Chanyeol picked it in his large hands. 
"That's because I've had it since elementary school..." Kyungsoo mumbled quietly regarding the umbrella, although clearly the subject was no longer interesting. But he shut up when he got too focused in watching the way Chanyeol ever so gently the kitten's fur and allowed it to nuzzle against his face.

"Mind if I take him? I have a friend who'd love to take good care of him!" Chanyeol said cheerfully, and Kyungsoo wasn't sure if he was blinded by Chanyeol's gorgeous smile or by the setting sun shining behind him. Either way, his heart filled with true joy as he nodded with excitement at the offer. It's not like the kitten belonged to him in the first place. But he appreciated Chanyeol's cautiousness.

Chanyeol laughed lightly from the kitten's paws tickling his neck and leaned in to kneel next to Kyungsoo. 
"Hey little one, give him some love as well, his umbrella protected you from the rain all day!" He encouraged the little kitten to interact with Kyungsoo, but it didn't seem to be interested.

"Come on, if you like me this much then you must like the people I'm close with, too." Chanyeol pouted at the kitten like a child before sliding the tip of his finger over its nose. Huh...? The people he's close with...? Does it mean Chanyeol considers Kyungsoo someone close? 

It's strange. Because when Chanyeol said it, Kyungsoo was able to believe it. Normally he would have never believed himself to be anywhere near being considered close to Chanyeol. But he has always been like this. Spreading positivity around him towards everyone who even as much as looks in his direction. Chanyeol simply doesn't have any walls between himself and others. He emits so much love, it's no wonder he's always surrounded by people. 

Kyungsoo's heart was going to burst in a second, if it wasn't for the smile Chanyeol shot him before standing back up on his feet with the kitten held warmly against his chest. He handed Kyungsoo the umbrella. 
"I'll get this one to his new home. See you tomorrow?" 
"Ah, yes. Thank you again, for today. For the towel." Kyungsoo's muse will always remain being Chanyeol. He wished he could be like him, and go with the flow instead of getting stuck behind the wall separating him from other people. He will break down that wall, little by little, as long as he continues watching Chanyeol grow more and more. 

"Uhm, if it's not too much trouble, will I be able to see him again?" Kyungsoo asked right as they were about to part ways at the end of the street. Chanyeol looked at him for a bit and began pouting. 
"Just the kitten...? What about me?" He asked childishly and shut his eyes, turning to look away like a snob.

Caught off guard by the question, Kyungsoo quickly stiffened in reply. 
"Y-You too! Of course!" Chanyeol opened one suspecting eye towards him, making his heart tremble in his chest, before his expression shifted into an amused smile combined with a healthy laughter. 
"Alright then, we have a deal." He looked extremely satisfied with himself as they've waved each other goodbye.

It's so strange really. How after they parted, Kyungsoo suddenly realized that only with Chanyeol... It feels like there is no wall. Chanyeol somehow just gets him. He understands him without judgement, without being swayed by rumours or by how awkward and weird Kyungsoo is compared to him. He's so happy, and thankful to him for that.

He hoped that being treated like a person would actually allow him to begin feeling like a real person, and not like the cursed ghost everyone had always expected him to be.

 

 

A few days after the rainy incident, Kyungsoo got to class with some homemade cookies split into three different little packs in hig bag, so that he could give them to Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Jongdae for their help. He had also brought the towel and the sports uniform back. All clean after getting through the washing machine, of course. While sitting in his seat he contemplated whether or not he should step up and simply hand it to them, or wait until the end of the day and place it on their tables like he did with the juice the day he was given these items.

On one hand, giving it to them means there is a chance he will be rejected, which is something he is used to, but it might cause trouble for them to be seen given cookies by him. Ah, this must be the bad choice, it'll tarnish their reputation whether they accept or refuse him. So the safer bet is to wait until everyone else are gone and place it on their tables in a secretive manner. No damage done, right? That'd be way better for everyone involved.

He sunk in his own mind before being startled by chanyeol's voice coming behind him in class.
"Good morning!" 
"M-Morning." 
"The kitten has been warmly welcomed into his new home!" Chanyeol announced cheerfully before being called by one of his friends. "Well, catch you later." He nodded at Kyungsoo and moved on to his group of friends. Kyungsoo felt very relieved. The kitten is safe, he made the right decision with the cookies, they totally deserve them, it'll be just fine.

Since today's first lesson isn't with their homeroom teacher, Kyungsoo switched his seat to sit at the back of the class and allow the students from all classes of his grade enter the class and take their seat for the lesson to begin. While placing his books on his assigned table for the lesson  he saw two classmates going towards his usual table at the front.

"I guess I'll take this table." One says. 
"Really? At the front of the class? Don't you remember who's table this is?" The other replies, looking shocked. 
"Don't tell me--!" 
"Yes, Doshio's!" The girl jumped from the seat with a small shriek. "I've heard that the last time someone sat there, they got sick for a week!" They continue the mumble to themselves. But their words echoed loudly in Kyungsoo's head. That... All of this is not true. He stood up, and slowly approached the table in question. The two classmates froze at his arrival.

"U-Uhm... This table is perfectly fine... It's clean, I make sure it stays clean all the time. I... I actually can't really curse people or make them sick, it's safe to sit here. So..." He began explaining quietly, fiddling with his own fingers nervously as he spoke. It took a lot out of him to convince himself to approach people like this. Except by the time he raised his head to see their reaction, nobody was there. They must have left while he was explaining. Well, that's fine. There's always next time... He will tell them another time that this table is completely fine. Things can't just change so quickly after all.

Since this is the beginning of a new year, when they have homeroom class, the teacher announces that they are allowed to change their seats for the rest of the year, as long as they do it in an orderly manner and not make too much noise in the process. But at the moment he left the classroom everything turned chaotic and noisy anyway. 

Kyungsoo was pretty thrilled to change seats. Although he heard some people mentioning his name from the back from the class, he didnt really pay attention to it. All he could think about was how he hoped he will be able to befriend his surrounding desk mates that will be seated around his new spot in class. 

The class president Seungwan decided that the best and fairest way to choose their tables would be by a raffle. On the chalkboard, she and her friend and helper Seulgi have drawn the view of the classroom from above, and numbered each of the seats in a random order. Then an equal amount of numbered notes were folded neatly and placed in a bowl. Each of the students would come and pick out a number, then get to their table according to the order drawn on the chalkboard.

Kyungsoo was very excited when the bowl with the notes of all the seats in the class was brought to the teacher's table. This will be his chance to open a new year with luck.

Since he sits at the front of the class, he was the first to pull out a note and get his new assigned seat. And he really was looking forward to it... Except, when he stood there, his hand reaching the bowl of notes, he felt a strong sense of dread and discomfort, maybe even worry. Everyone were staring at him. There was so much tension in the air that it made him feel nervous and stressed rather than anything related to anticipation like he had hoped. 

He pulled out his seat number and stood aside waiting for the rest. It was, cool, but a little lonely, to see how the groups of friends in the class gathered together and began discussing their seats. Some even tried to exchange their seats with other students in class just so they could sit with their friends. He hoped that everybody got the seat they wished for, since he will try his best to make friends with his desk mates no matter where he ends up.

Then, the numbered seats were revealed on the board, and Kyungsoo found out that he will sit at the back of the class this year. Which is fine, really. That way he will be able to talk with more people. Sitting with his back to everyone else last year prevented him from doing so during lessons. Because turning backwards to talk is too obvious and risky. So this will be his chance.

Somehow, even though nobody had asked, it seemed that the whole class knew which number Kyungsoo had gotten. He heard them discussing within themselves which students will be sitting around him at the back. Oh, this is exciting! Do they actually care about it because they wish to sit next to him as well?

"Phew! Lucky, it isn't me!" One guy said with a victorious grin. 
"Eh, I'm really worried about the one that'll be sitting right beside him. They'll definitely get hurt." A girl replied with a sad expression. 
"Right?! It's like last year all over again, except at the back! I wonder who will break their bones this time after talking with him..." Another girl replied, sounding scared. 
"Oh wow, I nearly forgot about that curse..."

Ah. So they care more about who's not sitting next to Kyungsoo than the other way around. That... That kind of hurt. Especially since he was right there, and could hear everything they were saying clearly. He... He has to try his best this year. He wanted the people who sit near him to enjoy his company, not fear him this much... He already explained that he can't really cast curses upon people. He could only hope that next year he will be able to say 'I'm happy I got this seat!' to someone. Or exchange seats to sit next to someone by choice, or... Anything. He will do his best.

 

 

"Sorry! But whoever got number twelve! I'm taking your seat!" A loud voice pierced the tense air in the classroom right after Kyungsoo finally sat down at his new spot. Gasps echoed in the room and murmurs began spreading as Chanyeol stepped out from the cloud of students at the front, and made his way towards the table located right next to Kyungsoo's. He pulled the chair back dramatically loud, slumped into his seat and crossed his arms, clicking his tongue before turning towards Kyungsoo with a smile.

"Looks like I'll be sitting next to you this year. Let's do our best!" He hummed cheerfully, leaving the entire class, and especially Kyungsoo, astonished by his actions and words.

It was dead silent afterwards, until Jongdae let out a long whiny yawn and threw his note up in the air. 
"Guess my seat is decided then!" He claimed, and slid himself into the spot available in front of Kyungsoo with a wide pleased smile. Further silence spread in the room.

"Baekhyun, it's your tur---" Seulgi, holding the bowl of notes began, but Baekhyun dramatically stood up, the dragging of the chair on the floor made an awful loud noise. 
"No thanks!" He shouted and strutted towards the nearest seat around, right next to Jongdae, in front of Chanyeol.

Last but not least, silent and cool looking Sehun, the youngest student in their class, made his way to the single most cornered table behind Kyungsoo, at the absolute back of the class, and sat down, staring out of the window quietly. Kyungsoo truly was caught off guard. He stared at him for several seconds, until the other made eye contact with him and hummed in acceptance, or approval, or both, eyes back on the window right after again.

Now the five of them occupy the entire back corner of the classroom by the windows. It was silent for a while as the other students stared at them, but slowly the tension began fading away as the rest of the classmates started discussing the other sitting spots with each other. Some of them looking sad and disappointed that Chanyeol's seat will not be at the center of the classroom like last year, where he could have been the center of attention, as well. And easily accessible during lessons.

Kyungsoo was pretty overwhelmed then. Sitting at the back corner of the class, Chanyeol right beside him, and his two other closest classmates around him as well. Creating almost like a wall of protection around him. He couldn't really comprehand the meaning of it all.

It took him several moments to really grasp the depth of the situation, but as he did, his heart began speeding out of control inside his chest. His mind was spiraling into chaos of apprectiation, gratitude, and warmth, which reminded him of his main purpose for today.

With shaking hands he pulled out the three little packs of cookies from his bag. 
"U-Uhm, as thanks for all you've done I... I brought these cookies..." He mumbled and handed each one of the trio within his range a pack. While trying to contain himself and his heart, he dug back into the bag with his hand again. 
"Also, I will bring you back the ite---" 
"OH!" Chanyeol suddenly exclaimed, surprising everyone in class. "These are really good!" He turned to Kyungsoo with shiny eyes while munching on one of the cookies. Kyungsoo's mouth was about to open to thank him, but before he could make a sound he heard the other two packs being fiddled with.

"Thank you, I don't even know why I got one, but still!" Jongdae chimed happily towards him. While Baekhyun gave him a bit of a sharp suspecting look. 
"Did you make them yourself?" He asked in a low voice. 
"Y-Yes." Kyungsoo replied, slightly nervous, but was easily back to his previous state as he saw the way Baekhyun's face turned into another one of his dramatic crying faces. 

"Aaaaahhh! I can't believe it! You're so sweet! This is the first time anyone has given me home made cookies!" He began fake crying loudly, but stopped shortly after to curse at Jongdae after getting kicked in the shin.

This... Is this what true happiness feels like? Kyungsoo couldn't do anything but sit there stunned with awe, with his heart pumping fast from how happy he was that these people have gone as far as this for his sake. Coming to sit around him, he really felt safe. He was so overwhelmed he couldn't focus for the rest of the day. Especially when he noticed that Chanyeol was looking at him with a gentle smile every once in a while.

Maybe the reason he didn't feel like there's a wall between him and Chanyeol, was because that wall disappeared and crumbled out of existence every single time Chanyeol shined his beautiful smile upon him.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol called out to him as they parted ways outside of the school's gate. He was about to turn around and leave with a bunch of his friends. Kyungsoo looked at his back, walking away towards his group of friends that was waiting for him at the edge of the street.

It sounded beautiful. It sounded lovely, the way Chanyel said his real name. He suddenly really liked his name. It felt so new and refreshing to hear anyone say his name at all, but the fact that Chanyeol was the first one to crash through the stereotype and grace his ears by calling his name, made his heart flutter in his chest. 

This is like a dream. This whole day felt like it was some weirdly happy dream that he will wake up from the very next morning and everything would be back to how it was yesterday. He was dazed as he waved goodbye at his new desk mate, and continued walking back home on his own, staring at the sky, and repeating Chanyeol's voice in his head.

Was it greedy of him to want to hear Chanyeol say his name again?