Chapter 11

Doshio

 

Time passed by as quickly as it could. Before Kyungsoo was able to blink about just how fast time ran, it was nearly the end of the semester. Autumn had already made its appearance with fiery reds and oranges, and now all that's left are the branches preparing for the chill of winter. 

Halloween was pretty nice this year. Usually that holiday, as a child, was Kyungsoo's time to thrive. With his naturally creepy ghost-like appearance, he didn't even need to wear anything special to be in costume. And this time, after years of no intentional participation on Kyungsoo's side, he was able to play along. 

Normally during Halloween the school allows students to dress up for the day and prepare fun activities. Every year Kyungsoo would have come dressed as a regular student, which somehow still ended up being the most terrifying thing anybody has ever seen, apparently. But this year, Baekhyun and Jongdae told him they wouldn't allow him to enter school without a costume. 

He came as a vampire. It was easy because the stores sold the capes for almost nothing. And his mother helped him add some fake lipstick blood to the corners of his mouth, too. For some reason, however, although he finally dressed up, nobody was scared of him at all. An unexpected turn of events for somebody's used to be a subject to fear without even trying. At first he thought that his costume wasn't good enough, but realized that this makes more sense, since the fear of the vampire must be somehow cancelling the fear of him.

Baekhyun dressed up as a famous action movie star that came out that year, and Jongdae, out of all things, decided to dress up as an animated movie's villain. They were stoked when they saw Kyungsoo in costume. And coming to school dressed up sure gives the atmosphere a different feeling. But through the day of being a student, Kyungsoo could only think about how adorable Chanyeol looked in his werewolf outfit.

There was a little event for students to participate in after school hours with some holiday related activities, but Kyungsoo spent that time sneaking between the shadows like a real vampire and delivering papers for some teachers whom tasks he accepted for the sake of the rest of the classroom's pleasure and freedom.

 

 

And with that, another month had passed. Today was going to be one of the last few relatively pleasant days outside, before the real cold weather overtakes everything. Kyungsoo liked the fact that during autumn, the sky always looks crystal clear. Like it's sharper than ever, a high definition version of reality. Everything is crisp and windy.

He calmly took out all the material he's going to need for the day from his locker, from the locker isles right at the building's entrance, when somebody came behind him and wrapped around him from behind in a hug. 
"Yooo Kyungsoo!" It was baekhyun, grinning and squeezing him for a moment before laughing at his surprise and letting go. "Surprised you, didn't I?" 
"Oh... Baekhyun... Yes. I wasn't expecting such a friendly greeting." He nodded, and Baekhyun laughed again. "I can do it everyday if you'd like!"

Kyungsoo giggled lightly and held the books right in his hands, managing to lock his locker with his hand. 
"You seem to be in a great mood today." He spoke to Baekhyun again.
"Mmmh yup! Guess so. New years is coming up soon!" Baekhyun's mischiveousness disappeared into a happy smile. Huh? Soon? 
"But... It's still november." Kyungsoo's words fell on no ears, because Baekhyun's attention was already turned towards the people entering the building instead. 
"Yo! Morning, Chanyeol!" he called cheerfully. And Kyungsoo stiffened up to turn and look at him.

He sees him at school every single day of the week, and yet only now, because Chanyeol was finally wearing the school's vest under his blazer to combat the chilly weather, Kyungsoo realized that his hair has grown out quite a lot ever since they met last year. It reaches quite a low spot on the back of his neck. He looks so handsome... Almost like he got even younger. 

Chanyeol smiled and approached the two. 
"Morning! You sound pumped up." He began chatting with Baekhyun, but a moment later turned to look at Kyungsoo who staring up at him in such awe that he started getting nervous. "W-Wha--- What is it? Don't tell me..." He quickly placed a hand on the side of his head as if hiding something. 
"Is my bed hair this obvious...?" He asked defeated before removing the hand.

Oh... That's right. Only after Chanyeol mentioned it and directed his attention to it, Kyungsoo noticed there was a strand of hair that bumped out, refusing to join in with the rest of the flow and making Chanyeol look much like a puppy. 
"I should have just played it off as the usual hairstyle, then..." Chanyeol smiled with a bit of shyness. 

Kyungsoo couldn't take his eyes off of him. Everything about him is simply endearing. The eye contact shared between the two of them was broken, however, when other classmates greeted Chanyeol and grabbed his attention. He laughed and smiled with them, heading towards the classes. He looks so happy and cute when he laughs, when he smiles. Kyungsoo just loves watching him do whatever. Chanyeol simply existing would get Kyungsoo to applaud.

Now that he thinks about it, in the past, Kyungsoo enjoyed watching Chanyeol because he thought he was incredible for being surrounded by people. He wanted to become someone who is as amazing as Chanyeol. But now... He loves watching Chanyeol because it makes his heart feel warm just from seeing him happy. 
"Why are you blushing, huh?" Baekhyun and wrapped an arm around his shoulder as they began walking to class as well. It seems like his feelings for Chanyeol are still growing little by little as time passes by.

However, the giddy feeling quickly disappeared when they enter class, and founnd Jongdae sitting at his desk and tapping incredibly fast on his phone with a serious expression. Quietly, the two slid into their seats, until Baekhyun leaned towards him curiously. 
"Morning, what's up? Everything's okay?" He asked cautiously. 

Jongdae sighed heavily and locked his phone, placing it aside as it continued to vibrate with some new messages again and again. 
"Uuuaaagh this is so tiring." He whined, turning his awfully serious mood to something easy going and light. But it was easy to tell whatever he was dealing with was deeply affecting him anyway. 
"So many things are happening at the same time... I feel like I can't even shut my eyes without something popping up." He pouted and sprawled himself over his own table. 

Both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo stared at him for a while. It seemed like Baekhyun took it for what it was, and got ready to brighten up the mood for Jongdae's sake. But to Kyungsoo it looked almost like Jongdae was making it seem like nothing serious is happening just for Baekhyun's sake. 

"You guys wanna come over and hang out at my boyfriend's place today? He has a suuuper cute cat." Jongdae asked, looking mostly at Kyungsoo, because obviously, Baekhyun had already been there with him. 
"Count me in! I miss that little guy." At least Kyungsoo can assume so from the way Baekhyun reacted to enthusiastically to the offer. Kyungsoo noticed Jongdae was looking at him, waiting for the answer in anticipation, so he nodded in approval as well. 

Whoa, that's so nice. Both Minseok and Jongdae's boyfriend have adorable cats. More of his friends have pets as well, like Sehun has Vivi. Kyungsoo always wondered what it'd be like to have his own pets. But more than the thought of little lovable animals, Kyungsoo began wondering what it's like to be in a relationship like Jongdae's. Where he feels so comfortable and secure about his connection, that bringing friends over to a place that isn't his, is something he can decide. It means the two of them give each other so much freedom, and yet they are tied together so well by effort and choice. 

They must be incredible for each other. Kyungsoo felt pretty lucky that he'd be able to see it with his own eyes. But at the same time, knowing that he's about to get exposed to probably way more intimate connection between two people makes him a little shy. Other than his parents he never saw a pair of people kiss in real life.

An intimate couple... He'd expect to imagine Chanyeol and himself in one compromising situation or another, but instead, the image of Junmyeon and Sehun standing and talking so cheerfully outside of school after the outdoors festival popped in his head. Right, it seemed that the two of them managed to get pretty close to one another. 

Kyungsoo had known Junmyeon for years, he knows what a happy Junmyeon looks like. He definitely looked very happy speaking with Sehun. Kyungsoo also knows that Sehun likes someone already, but it'd still be wonderful to have two of his friends befriend each other anyway.

He turned around in his chair and looked at Sehun, who was resting his head against the table. His curiosity took over him. 
"Sehun?" He asked. Sehun raised his head lightly from the table right away and looked up at Kyungsoo gently. 
"Hm?" 
"Did you talk with Junmyeon lately?" He asked curiously. Sehun stayed silent for a moment, but then rose up some more and looked at Kyungsoo with a small smile. There was a new spark in his eyes. 
"Yes." He was more than happy to receive that answer. Kyungsoo smiled back. 
"That's good to hear." 
"He thought your halloween costume was cute." Kyungsoo blinked surprised. H-Huh? How does Junmyeon even know what he wore? He hasn't told him, hasn't shown him either.

Appreantly the confusion was visible on his face, because Sehun pulled out his phone and tapped a few times before handing it to him. Puzzled, Kyungsoo examined the screen, finding that it's a picture of himself smiling with Jongdae and Baekhyun while wearing the vampire outfit. 

"W-When..." He felt pretty shy, but at the same time he found it very heartwarming to know that both Sehun and Junmyeon care about him this much. When trying to pass the phone back to Sehun, his finger accidentally brushed against the screen, and another picture showed up instead of the previous one. 

It was a picture of Junmyeon and Sehun together, Junmyeon smiling widely as if in the middle of laughter, while Sehun is kissing the side of his head and looking at the camera.

Kyungsoo stared at it for several seconds before Sehun finally realized something was happening so he took the phone back, checked the screen, and suddenly stiffened in his seat. Sehun.... He, started blushing...? Kyungsoo noticed he looked nervous all of a sudden. But Kyungsoo's own heart was exploding with warmth and happiness. 

"A-Are you two..." He began asking carefully, piecing the details he knows all together, to expose the final truth he had finally discovered. The person Sehun liked... It was Junmyeon all along, wasn't it?

Sehun covered his own mouth as his elbow was leaning on the table, and his eyes were looking elsewhere outside the window. Then, he simply nodded. And it was enough for Kyungsoo as an answer. He could feel happiness flowring through his entire body, from the core right to the very edges of his fingertips. 

"Are you happy?" He asked quietly, smiling. And Sehun nodded yet again. Kyungsoo had to hold back from 'Aww'-ing out loud. Sehun's flushed cheeks, and his smile hidden under his long fingers... So adorable. He felt like he just unlocked the best pandora box in the world. The two of them looked truly happy in the picture together.

So things like this can happen too... It only takes as much as one of the pair to finally tell the truth about their feelings to the other. Kyungsoo is exposed to so many different types of love around him.
There is the love of his parents, who beyond loving each other, also love him together indefinitely. 
There are Jongdae and his boyfriend, who from what he heard, are the perfect example of a healthy relationship based on trust, honesty, effort, and honest attraction.
There are now, Sehun and Junmyeon. Who must have only very recently began exploring what sharing love with one another is like, so everything must be new, exciting, and fresh.
And then... There was Sohda. Who experienced what it's like to have her feelings rejected.

Are any of these types of love similar to the love Kyungsoo feels for Chanyeol? There is so much he wants to know about him, so much he wants the two of them to talk about and share, but... Something is stopping him. Like a barrier that doesn't allow him to push further. Even if it only takes one to get to the next level with a confession, is he ready for it? Does he truly want it? Kyungsoo's mind doesn't allow itself to imagine anything of that sort.

 

 

Distracted by these thoughts about love and its many shapes and forms, Kyungsoo's day ended twice as fast. Jongdae, Baekhyun and him have packed their bags and started their way to Jongdae's boyfriend's place. The three of them calmly chatted with each other through the journey, until Kyungsoo started recognizing the path they go though from the time when Chanyeol brought him over to Minseok's little apartment in order to see how Tan was doing.

The more they continued, the more Kyungsoo felt like he's going through a deja vu. They got to the same street in town, same block of apartment complezes... They even reach the same exact building and go up to the same floor. At that point Kyungsoo was pretty shock for how much of an incredible coincidence it is, that Jongdae's boyfriend lives in the same floor as Minseok. He was very confused, but still in awe. Until Jongdae pulled out a key and unlocked the exact apartment that Kyungsoo knows belongs to Minseok.

"We're here~" Jongdae called out cheerfully.
"Welcome home~" Minseok called back. 
Right as they entered Tan was already rushing from behind the sofa to meow at them. He has grown even bigger now! 
But more importantly, they are at Minseok's place?! Which means Jongdae's boyfeind is--- 

Kyungsoo saw Jongdae come over to Minseok in the little kitchen and peck him on the lips softly. He stood there in quite a shock while Baekhyun made himself at home and let's himself fall over the couch, reaching out to let Tan nuzzle against it. 
"Sup Minseokie! I see you got that table fixed!" Minseok pouted. 
"Are you mocking me? That's the best I could do." He replied, looking at one of the dining table's legs that seems to have been wrapped in at least one whole duct tape roll. 

"Ah, Kyungsoo, why are you standing at the door? Come in, make yourself at home." Minseok then smiled at him. And Kyungsoo, still in a mini shock, took off his shoes and sat beside Baekhyun. Tan immediately climbed up to the couch and layed beside him. Kyungsoo managed to finally adjust a little better to the news thanks to being able to pet Tan and hearing him purr.

"S-Sorry, I was just a little surprised because I didn't know you two... Were..." He began explaining a little later, when there's tea in his hands, cookies on the coffee table in front of the couch, and everyone sitting down around it. 
"Boyfriends?" Jongdae smiled, and Kyungsoo nodded lightly. 
"Whoa, really? I was sure Chanyeol already told you that before you came over to check on Tannie." Minseok said a little surprised, then took a cookie shard into his mouth.

Oh, right, Kyungsoo completely forgot that the fact that Chanyeol is also Minseok's friend, that means that he had to know Jongdae and Minseok were dating. 
"No, but... It makes me happy, knowing that now." Kyungsoo smiled at them. Jongdae and Minseok glanced at each other and chuckled. All the while Baekhyun sat there, stuffing himself with tea and cookies quietly. He looked very calm, but at the same time like there's something burdening his heart from within.

They talked about Tan for a bit, about school, a little about Chanyeol and Sehun, and Kyungsoo wasnt sure if he should say anything about finding out that Junmyeon and Sehun are together. But suddenly Minseok mentioned how adorable Sehun and Junmyeon looked in their last photos together. 

Kyungsoo was surprised but relieved, he would have been able to stay quiet about it. But it's always a lot better to not hold any information that needs to be concealed. He felt lucky that even though he has no means of communication with anybody outside of school, he can still keep up with everyone like that. He might have seen the picture on accident, but he's a part of it now. 

"Kyungsoo, have you seen the pictures? Since I know you don't have a phone." Minseok asked and Kyungsoo nodded in reply. 
"I saw them on Sehun's phone this morning." 
"Ah~ I wish you had one of your own. It'd be so much easier to contact you that way!" Jongdae whined. 
"Hey, it's fine. Not everybody's able to get one as easily as you." Minseok poked his cheek lightly.

Maybe he should consider getting one. Staying in contact with everyone like this even when he doesn't see them, being able to still talk outside of school? That would have been a wonderful thing to do. Junmyeon, Sehun, Minseok, Jongdae and Baekhyun. If all of them have phones then it's already worth it. And... Chanyeol. Since Chanyeol has a phone then it would be even more worth it. Kyungsoo began asking about phones, how they work, how much they cost and other important questions. Learning about them would be good whether he gets one or not. 

"It makes things so much easier! We could call each other, send each other pictures, jokes, and generally share anything we want with you." Baekhyun began explaining. "All of us also have a group chat, where we can message each other through the application on the phone, and continue talking no matter where we are or what we're doing." He spoke enthusiastically, and then gave Kyungsoo a little grin. 
"Chanyeol is in the group too~" He hummed, causing Kyungsoo to blink a bit surprised. But if he's there too... Then Kyungsoo felt like this is already enough reason to purchase one quickly.

After starting to talk about phones this much, it was almost an ironic timing for Baekhyun's phone to begin ringing. He moved aside to answer, then returned. 
"Sorry guys, I think I'll be going now. Joohyun from the choir wants me to help her practice." 
"Ahh! Joohyun, the adorable shy senior?" Jongdae asked and Baekhyun nods with a smile. 
"I'll see you all. Byebye Tannie!" He grinned and rubbed both his palms over Tan's face in a funny manner, then left cheerfully. 
"Bye Baekhyun~" Minseok waved at him before the door was shut.

 

 

After his leave, Jongdae sighed and leaned backwards against the bottom of the couch. 
"I can't believe he's coming back... and he only contacted you to ask that yesterday?" He spoke in a more serious tone than usual, looking at Minseok with a worried expression. The facade is gone. Kyungsoo is a little surprised from the quick switch in atmosphere, but he knew since the morning that Jongdae was working hard to maintain lively for Baekhyun.  
"Was I supposed to say no? You know that he's only been sending actual paper letters to Junmyeon and me through this year..." It still didn't change the fact that Kyungsoo had no idea what's going on.

"Sorry, Kyungsoo. I just didn't want Baekhyun to hear this... Uhm. " Jongdae began, looking nervous. Minseok ran a hand through Jongdae's hair gently, which affected him visibly almost immediately and brought him back to a balanced state. 
"A friend of ours is coming back." Minseok stated instead. 
"Oh, isn't that good?" 
"Well... He's someone very important to Baekhyun... Well, used to be. But due to the urgency of his leave, he couldn't tell Baekhyun he'd be leaving at all." Jongdae continued from where Minseok stopped. Kyungsoo felt like he understood now, why Jongdae had such a serious expression this morning at school. 
"Anyway, he left for a about a year, and now he's back. He's going to live with Minseok for a short while... And we're worried about Baekhyun." He sighed, rightfully so.

"We don't know what will happen if he finds out. He's going to be here tomorrow." Minseok said, as Tan lazily made his way to lay in his owner's lap. 
"Sorry for getting you into this. Everyone already knows except for Baekhyun." Jongdae apologized, looking down at his empty tea mug with a bit of sadness. 

Ah... That means Junmyeon, Sehun and Chanyeol also know about this. Maybe even Jongin. He must have been someone pretty important if he still means so much to them after leaving for so long.

Well, at least that explains a lot about why Kyungsoo sometimes had the feeling Baekhyun's heart was getting crushed by something at unexpected situations. That longing look he had in his eyes, the way he went silent from time to time. How he always averted his eyes away from couples holding hands... Is this because of the friend who had left unnanounced?

Even at the next day at school, Kyungsoo couldn't take his eyes off of Baekhyun. There wasn't even a bit of a sign that anything was wrong at all. Kyungsoo would have never known he had to experience such feelings all this time if it wasn't for what he heard during yesterday's visit at Minseok's. How will Baekhyun come visit Minseok now if that friend is going to live there? 

Who knows for how long? Even Minseok hadn't had any idea. Kyungsoo was staring at Baekhyun, and from the corner of his eye, he could tell that Sehun, Chanyeol, and even Jongdae were all staring at him as well. It'ss such a stressful situation that they all have to properly hide so that Baekhyun's happiness will be secured.

 

 

"So, let's gamble now, how many people do you think will stand in line to our class tomorrow?" Baekhyun turned around in his seat and asked in a teasing manner, while pretending to act like some sort of card game master in a casino. Kyungsoo chuckled lightly from the convincing acting, although he didn't really know what reason would there be for people to line up to their class.

"Mmmmh. Gonna be a noisy day. I better sleep a lot tonight so I could handle it." Jongdae hummed in reply, leaning towards the imaginery game board Baekhyun had prepared, and pretending to flip a card over. Baekhyun raised both hands up in the air immediately. 
"Wooo! Jackpot! You win!" He cheered loudly, before pretending to turn the card over and show it Jongdae between his fingers. 
"You win... Being able to... Give me your cafeteria card today because I forgot mine at home." Baekhyun started dramatically, but then turned into a defeated sigh at the end.

Jongdae laughed for a moment before leaning back in his chair again. 
"Sure. I brought leftovers from the dinner Minseokie made yesterday anyway." It's been a few weeks ever since Kyungsoo's visit to Minseok's place, only few days left until december will make its grand appearance. 
"Why would people want to come to our classroom tomorrow?" Kyungsoo asked curiously, seeing how Baekhyun bowed dramatically deep towards Jongdae after the cafeteria card had been transferred.

Both Jongdae and Baekhyun glanced at each other, before turning to look at Kyungsoo a little suspiciously. 
"What do you mean? Don't you know what date tomorrow is?" Jongdae asked. 
"Hmm... The 27th of November?" Kyungsoo responded questioningly, doubting his own perception of time all of a sudden. 
"Yes... And...?" Baekhyun gestured lightly, as if to urge Kyungsoot to think some more about it. But no matter how many times he thought of the date, nothing special really came up in his mind.

"Kyungsoo, it's Chanyeol's birthday tomorrow. Don't you remember how it turned to be almost like a national holiday in school last year?" Jongdae asked while recalling the memory, while Baekhyun laughed lightly. 
"Poor guy, could barely move around." He mumbled, remembering some more.

Kyungsoo, however, sat in his spot in shock. Tomorrow is Chanyeol's birthday? And he didn't even know? What kind of classmate is he? What kind of admirer? What kind of friend? The world began spinning around him as he started sinking into a whirlpool of devastating thoughts.

He didn't know anything about this... What a fool. Now the important day will be happening tomorrow and he wasn't able to prepare anything at all ahead of time. He could have put proper thought into it if only he paid more attention and knew that the date was so near. Kyungsoo was doomed, to say the least. How is he supposed to think, plan, and make anything meaningful for Chanyeol in such a short notice? He messed up. He messed up so bad, and he will most likely regret this forever.

"Hey--- Hey Kyungsoo, please return from the dead!" Baekhyun tried to bring him back to reality by shaking his shoulders lightly. "You look like you've either seen a ghost, or became a ghost. And I don't know which is worse." Baekhyun looked at him, then gently pet his head and sat back down in his own chair. 
"Don't worry too much, Chanyeol's not the type to enjoy too much unwanted commotion like what happens at school." He reassued him as best as he could. But at this point there's very little that could convince Kyungsoo that he hasn't screwed himself over.

For the rest of the day he was struggling so much to think about what to get for Chanyeol. There are too many limitations because of the short time notice, so whatever he manages to think of would have to be very restricted in the amount of time it takes to do. He only has a few hours to prepare something. It wouldn't be enough for anything actually worthy of making at all. Kyungsoo could only further beat himself up in his head for not knowing beforehand and preparing something big and amazing like Chanyeol deserves.

He kept trying to think on his own all day, but came up with nothing at the end of the day, and from that moment, time will only continue ticking louder and faster, and every minute of his free time with no responsibilities counts. So in a desperate attempt, he asked Baekhyun for help. 

Luckily, Baekhyun was a pretty good partner for this, because due to living in town, he knows exactly where to find anything that they may seek. And after school, the two of them went there together to find something suitable for a birthday gift coming from Kyungsoo to Chanyeol. Suggestions about picture frames, toys, school supplies, a decorative object, and even a coloring book kept coming from Baekhyun, but Kyungsoo had to decline them all, knowing that giving Chanyeol a gift is more meaningful than just the object being given. So rather than a whole existing item, he'd prefer finding something he could make on his own instead.

While passing by the main town's market, where different stands selling various different items are located on both sides of the road, Baekhyun had led them unintentionally, to check out a stand selling winter relate clothing equipment. 
"Oh right, winter's right around the corner. I need to get some gloves... Maybe a hat..." Baekhyun began mumbling, searching through the collection lazily.

Hey... That, might not be a bad idea. Maybe there is something he could do after all. It would be nowhere as great as Chanyeol deserves, but Kyungsoo will do his very best and give his whole into it. The gift will be coming right out of his heart. So it has to at least be half decent, right?

He felt a huge relief from finally setting his mind onto something specific to make, and managed to buy all that he needed quickly enough to not hold Baekhyun back for too long just to be with him. And now with an anxious heart that's prepared for the task at hand, they started walking back and out of the shopping area of town.

Just from everything that happened recently, like how he found about the old friend coming back, and how deeply he's wrapped in his own feelings of love towards Chanyeol, Kyungsoo was wondering if there's anybody Baekhyun likes. 

Jongdae has Minseok... Sehun and Junmyeon are now a new item... And Kyungsoo likes Chanyeol. But... Does Baekhyun have anybody to occupy his heart? Kyungsoo debated whether he should ask or not, because he was worried about possibly opening up a subject that'll hurt Baekhyun.

But he ended up muttering the question out loud anyway, surprising himself by doing so. He should have been more careful. He would hate it if the question would turn the mood into something Baekhyun will have a hard time getting out of again. 

Baekhyun turned to him, looking pretty neutral, until Kyungsoo recognized that he had this distant longing look in his eyes again. Regardless, Baekhyun smiled. 
"Actually, I'm a little confused about that myself." He admitted, rubbing the back of his head. 
"I... Used to like someone. A whole lot. But I'm not sure how to feel about it today." He explained, looking genuinely uncertain. 
"I kind of wish I could stop liking them back then. But... Sometimes liking someone isn't as easy and happy as sunshine and rainbows, I guess." He laughed. But Kyungsoo could feel the intense emotions behind Baekhyun's struggle now.

"Anyway! Let's stop for some ramen at Sehun's! I'm starving!" He quickly changed the subject of the conversation, allowing Kyungsoo to escape the strange atmosphere easily by smiling and nodding along. Kyungsoo wondered what Baekhyun meant exactly. He answered the question, but it only left Kyungsoo with even more questions unanswered. There's too much unknown for anything to be clear.

He wondered if his own liking of Chanyeol would be enough to keep his heart away from getting hurt and suffering like what he can only imagine Baekhyun's heart is going through. He already knows he wouldn't be able to support others who like Chanyeol the same way that he does. And he knows that he would hate it if Chanyeol decided to suddenly stay away from him to create a distance. But would he then... Stop liking him? Or be stuck in a loop of pain like Baekhyun?

Luckily, the visit to Sehun's family ramen place was a big success. The two of the sat at the bar right in front of Sehun's uncle, the beloved ramen maker, and had a good conversation filled with jokes and delicious ramen until all bellies were satisfied. Sehun wasn't there, but they still had a pleasant time eating together. Kyungsoo was glad that he had learned what he did, and he was even more glad that he was able to focus his energy into making something for Chanyeol's birthday.

 

 

Today is the day. The marvelous birthday of the one and only prince of school, Park Chanyeol. Kyungsoo should have probably gambled in Baekhyun's imaginary game yesterday, because just like both he and Jongdae anticipated, the entrance to their classroom was crowded to the brim with students from all over the school. Most of them were just repeatedly singing 'Happy Birthday' again and again, while others were carrying actual gifts in their hands.

It really became a holiday at school from the amount of festivity that could be felt everywhere. Chanyeol was the star of the day. Everyone were showering him with presents, songs, greetings and love. Even Sohda came by their classroom and gave Chanyeol a box of an expensive brand of shoes. 

Kyungsoo wanted to be a part of the happy energetic spirit, but his worries were too big to fully submit into the liveliness of the celebration. He just at his table all day, not interacting with Chanyeol even once. He was too busy for Kyungsoo to have the privilege to take his time away and having to spend it on him. He felt pretty terrible about how bad his present is compared to all of the incredible and useful items the other students at school have given and done for him during the day.

He couldn't even make eye contact with him. All of the chaos kept spreading around through the day, but Kyungsoo was in his own world of disappointment and fear. There are so many people who are doing their utmost best to make Chanyeol happy on his special day, and he can't even do that. What has ever done for Chanyeol... ever, actually?

From the moment Chanyeol had entered Kyungsoo's field of vision, and until the moment school ended, he looked very overwhelmed. But it was in a happy way, in an apologetic humble one. Even when Chanyeol is quite literally the center of attention and reason this day had become such an event for the students, he's still polite, careful, and humane. Kyungsoo couldn't even comprehand what it must feel like to be in his position.

In the end Kyungsoo kept delaying talking to Chanyeol at all. School hours were over, and if Kyungsoo thought he felt the stress before, he only began worrying more, now. He really wanted to give Chanyeol his gift and congratulate him properly. But will he even be able to?

He stood by the lockers isles at the entrance and waited, hoping it'd be a private enough setting to make it happen. But along game the noise, and he saw that Chanyeol was still surrounded by a lot of people. He was already carrying about three plastic bags filled with different expensive gifts. Kyungsoo got extremely discouraged. How could he even think anything he'd say or do could compare to all of this? 

Eventually, it was decided that maybe it'll be better if Kyungsoo doesn't even give it to him at all. It's so lame. How can the gift he brought be anywhere near a match to the expensive other presents, love, and attention Chanyeol kept receiving all day?

He left the school, but something in him wouldn't let him simply drop this opportunity. His last year's self would have left without a doubt in his heart, but he is not who he was last year. Chanyeol had taught him so much. And if there's one thing he learned, is that he shouldn't decide feelings for others. He might feel extremely disappointed in himself for today, but it'd be too selfish of him to assume that Chanyeol would be too.

So he stopped at the usual spot where the roads diverge and the two of them split their paths on the way back from school, and waited. Just like Chanyeol used to wait for him there back in the summer. 
Kyungsoo wouldnt give him the gift, but he could at least tell him a simple happy birthday, right?

Chanyeol waited there for a while. The weather definitely is giving away hints of winter. Bored of the cold silence, he took out the gift he prepared for Chanyeol and exmained it again. Running a finger over what he had made, with sadness spreading in his heart. He got really deep in thought about how terrible of a person as a whole he must be towards Chanyeol, for the way today had went so far.

He didn't even realize Chanyeol had already made it there as wel, and stood right in front of him. Shocked, he jumped and hid the item behind his back nervously. 
"C-Chanyeol! Ah... Hmm..." He stumbled on his words.
"Hey, is everything alright? I noticed you haven't even told me good morning today... Did I do something wrong?" Chanyeol asked, sounding worried, and Kyungsoo quickly shook his head to decline. 
"N-No, of course not!" Chanyeol stared at him. 
"Are you sure?" He insisted, and Kyungsoo felt like he's being cornered.

 

 

"Happy birthday, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo said instead, looking down at the ground nervously. His shoulders were stiff from holding the gift behind his back. Short silence followed. Slowly, he raised his head to see Chanyeol's reaction, and found him starting to smile only at eye contact. Ah... He probably ruined Chanyeol's mood with this. Chanyeol looked so happy during the day, and now his smile is---... Huh?

Chanyeol's smile remained fairly small, but the way his eyes were shining so brightly, the way his cheeks brightened in light pink... He looked... He looked so happy. Way more than how he looked at school. 

"Ahh~... I'm so relieved." He let the gift bags fall to the ground and raised both hands to run them through his hair and over his face. 
"I was so scared I'd done something wrong that made you upset at school... I'm so glad." He sighed and covers half his face with a hand. 
"Thank you, Kyungsoo. Everyone congratulated me so many times today... But only now, after you said it... I feel like it's real." He huffed, pink ears peeking from behind soft hair.

Kyungsoo was frozen, Chanyeol looked like he's glowing. He's so beautiful. The way his hair is all fluffed up now, his cheeks pink, his eyes shining in their smiling slits, his way of talking while maintaining the smile... Kyungsoo's heart isn't going to make it. 

He wants to do more. He wants to make Chanyeol happier. He wants to see him be this happy all the time. Feeling the thumps of his heart in his ears, Kyungsoo started fearing that maybe he had made the wrong decision. And even if his gift isn't good at all, just like he learned, he shouldn't decide things for other people.

Without saying a word, Kyungsoo unveiled the gift from behind his back and shoved it into Chanyeol's hand, lingering with both his hands there as if to keep it covered for a moment longer. He was looking down at the little bandaids covering his fingertips, before finally pulling back and allowing Chanyeol to see it, the gift. He was surprised, to say the least, from having anything put in his hand at all. But even more so when he saw what it was. Kyungsoo couldn't hear anything other than his own heart beating as Chanyueol opened up the piece of cloth to its full size. It was a fairly short yet thickly knitted red scarf. Chanyeol examined it with his eyes, but paused when he found what was there to see.

At the end of the scarf's one side, was a carefully detailed embroidment in the image of a cartoonish giraffe. He lingered looking at it for so long that Kyungsoo started feeling like he had just failed one of the biggest most important missions in his life. He worked on this all day and night, carefully sewing each of the strings by hand to bring this giraffe to life.

"Kyungsoo..." Chanyeol said quietly. He held the scarf tightly in his hand, then reached his other hand out and grabbed onto Kyungsoo's own hand gently. Raising it up so he could look at it. Nervously, Kyungsoo curled his fingers inwards. He's so ashamed that not only he gave Chanyeol such a lame gift, but that he had also managed to prick himself so many times in the process, that he had to cover almost every finger with a bandaid in one spot or another. His hand was eventually released, and Chanyeol looked deep into his eyes sincerely instead.

"Thank you." His eyes were shining with a spark Kyungsoo hasn't seen before. 
"Thank you, it's beautiful, and adorable. I love it. Thank you. I will put it to good use, I promise." He said with just as much sincerity. Kyungsoo could tell that he's being honest. 
"I-I'm glad..." He mumbled airily. 

Chanyeol then took a step back, and Kyungsoo was sure he's going to drop it into one of his gift bags. But instead, he folded it carefully and placed it inside of his school vest's inner pocket. Whoa... That's usually where students keep their wallets, phones, or other precious items. Kyungsoo's gift definitely doesn't deserve to be there. It even created a buldge to the vest's neat usual appearance. But Chanyeol didn't seem to mind.

"Kyungsoo, I really have to go, but I will use it. I promise." Chanyeol then said, grabbed his gift bags, bowed to Kyungsoo deeply, and hurried on his way. Kyungsoo kept watching the way his pink shaded ears kept peeking out of the hair from behind. Overhwelmed was an understatement to how Kyungsoo was feeling until he ran off behind the curve, disappearing in the distance. 
Did... Did he do it right?

On his way home he couldn't help but doubt what he had just experienced. Not because he doesn't trust Chanyeol's words, but because it all happened so quickly that there's a high chance that even his sharp good memory about anything related to Chanyeol, is toying with him. He knew Chanyeol was truly happy... He could see it. He could still see that bright shine in Chanyeol's eyes when he smiled after being congratulated by him. Let alone the way he looked when receiving the gift.

He just hoped it'd be of use. He hoped he hasn't come off as cheap or lame for giving him such a thing. He simply wanted to make Chanyeol happy, and he knew Chanyeol liked giraffes. He remembered hearing him talk with his friends about how he could relate to them because of how tall he is, and how his ears point outwards all the time. So even if it's not his favourite animal... It must be something he could still like. right?

Kyungso just wants to make the person he likes happy. That's just natural. Everyone who likes someone else would want to do that. The thing is... That his mind keeps turning back to Baekhyun. Baekhyun and his love to a person who seems to have not been fulfilled. Baekhyun is so strong... How can he handle having these feelings that constantly hurt him? Kyungsoo can't even imagine feeling the same way. He's way too weak. So much so that he can barely handle liking Chanyeol normally as is.

He wished there was something he could do to help Baekhyun. Just like how much Baekhyun, Jongdae, Sehun and Sohda helped him deal with his struggle of realizing he loves Chanyeol. Maybe he would be able to help Baekhyun if only Baekhyun would explain it to him. Though, now that he thinks about it, Kyungsoo would probably be of no help. Jongdae, Minseok, Sehun, Junmyeon... They have the experience to be able to help Baekhyun with proper knowledge. While ksoo is a rookie in the field of love.

 

 

December is now blowing in their faces. The weather's turning colder with each passing day. Kyungsoo didn't mind it that much. He doesn't specifically enjoy the winter, but as long as it isn't raining, he'll be fine with any temperature. He can always cover up some more if it's needed. So he was glad that today's forecast showed no rain for the day. 

Before the weekend had begun, Baekhyun cheerfully invited Jongdae and him for a sleepover at his place, since his parents will be out of the house for some days. Kyungsoo was very flattered to be invited, and more than happy to accept.

"I'll be off now." He called, wrapped in a thick buttoned cardigan and a scarf around his neck as he stood at his house's entrance, carrying a small bag with everything he's going to need with him at someone else's house. 
"Alright hon~ Enjoy! If you need anything you can call home at any time." Kyungsoo's mother smiled cheerfully and waved as he left, his father pet his head lightly before the door shut behind him.

This is the first time he's been invited for a sleepover. Jongdae and him are going to spend a night at Baekhyun's house. He's sure it's going to be a lot of fun. It'll be the first time he'd visit Baekhyun's house, too. Although he knows Baekhyun lives right across from Sehun's family ramen shop and house, he just never got to visit it before.

He only ever heard stories about what people usually do during sleepovers, but never got to experience it himself, since as the cursed spirit 'Doshio', nobody would really want him to spend the night with them. Which is completely understandable. Especially because he wouldn't have been able to stand up to everyone's expectations and actually tell proper ghost stories or summon ghosts at all. All he knows is that people stay up until late, play games, and talk a lot to bond. It's going to be a lot of fun doing these with his two precious friends.

Except as he made it near Baekhyun's house, he spotted a familiar person coming towards Sehun's house. It was pcy. Wearing a large coat and a scarf around his neck as well. It seems that Kyungsoo has been spotted as well, because Chanyeol changed his direction of walking and made it to stand in front of him instead. Now from up close, Kyungsoo noticed that the scarf around his neck is none other than the red one he had given him. The little giraffe image is peeking from under the wraps the scarf's doing around his neck.

It warmed Kyungsoo's heart a lot, and made him feel like he had renewed some of the energy he had lost while convincing himself that his gift was no good. Chanyeol smiled brightly. 
"Yo, Kyungsoo! What are you doing here?" 
"A-Ah, I'm going for a sleepover at Baekhyun's." Kyungsoo responded, pulled back to reality out of his own Chanyeol-dreamland by real Chanyeol's question. 
"Oh really? I was just going to hang out at Sehun's. How about I get him and we all gather at Baekhyun's?" He smiled brightly. But before Kyungsoo could answer anything at all, the door to Naekhyun's place opened in a slam.

"Hey! Why are you making plans with a guest instead of the owner of the home?" Baekhyun stood by the door, arms crossed and lips pouted. He didn't have any shoes on, so he didn't dare to step outside. Both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol jumped at his unexpected arrival. 
"Right, right, my bad. I'll be bringing Sehun over then!" Chanyeol grinned cheekily and turned to head over there. Baekhyun laughed lightly before smiling at Kyungsoo. 
"Come on, hurry inside. It's so cold!" Kyungsoo complied and entered the house, glad to be wrapped in homey warmth again compared to the cold outside.

"Whoa, you've brought a whole sleepover kit?" Jongdae laughed when he saw the different bags Kyungsoo had brought with him. One containing his own essetials for the night, and one plastic bag containing a bunch of treats to share and eat together. Baekhyun's house had almost an identical design to Sehun's. Except because there was no storefront on the ground level, the place was used to become a large welcoming living room. With a bunch of sofas, a large television screen and a whole lot of cushions. 
"Whoa... What a lovely place." Kyungsoo thought out loud. 
"Ah thank you, thank you~" Baekhyun replied with a grin, and grabbed onto Kyungsoo's snack bag while Jongdae had already brought his essentials bag up to Baekhyun's room on the second floor.

But moments after Kyungsoo took his shoes off, somebody was knocking on the door. Baekhyun opened up, both Jongdae and Kyungsoo curious behind him. Chanyeol stood at the front, Sehun beside him, and behind them a few more guys from their classroom carrying a bunch of drinks and snacks. 
"It seems that I brought a little bit more than just Sehun over." Chanyeol smiled apologetically. 

Baekhyun was quite surprised, but then whined, and smiled, and allowed everybody access inside. 
"Fine then, but if any of you break anything I'll haunt you in your sleep." He warned the group that entered. And shortly after, everyone had taken over the living room space.

Talking together, eating snacks, laughing, passing the juice between one another. Kyungsoo was a little overwhelmed by the amount of people that could be contained in such a small space. But seeing how much fun everyone are having together by just chilling around like this, made him feel amazing. He's part of it, too. 

He never thought he'd ever get to experience being a part of such a large gathering of people. It's warm and welcoming. He felt happiness. Especially when looking at the way Chanyeol was enjoying himself with everyone.

They've all spent a while like this, it was bliss. Kyungsoo got to learn so much about the classmates he usually doesn't get to interact with. He was so thankful for this opportunity. they talked about love, about the girls in their class, it was really fun and inisightful. 
"Hey, Sehun, you still have that one game at your place?" Baekhyun suddenly asked while Chanyeol and Sehun were busy in their own conversation. 
"Hmm, probably. It'd be in my brother's old room if so." Sehun answered after a short thought. Baekhyun smiled and stood up. 
"Okay! I'll bring it over. Anything else you need from your place?" Sehun shook his head, and Baekhyun was out of the house. Kyungsoo could see him jog over across the street and enter the store.

Sehun's phone then began ringing, so he stepped aside into the hallway to answer. But a few moments later, he came back, still holding the phone. 
"Jongdae." Was all he said for Jongdae to spring up to his feet and hurry after him to the hallway. Kyungsoo couldn't hear what was being said, but he saw that Sehun and Jongdae were having what's called a 'face time' call with someone.

Several minutes passed and the call still went on. 
"I'm going to check on them." Chanyeol then said to Kyungsoo before going over to the pair in the hallway, but since now Kyungsoo was sitting kind of on his own, he also stood up and made his way there, instead of trying to in to his classmates' other conversations.

"...--- Just got here a couple days ago, and already fixed the table!" Minseok's voice came out of the device, Sehun, Jongdae and Chanyeol all looked at the screen, Kyungsoo managed to also get a glimpse. It was Minseok and Junmyeon sitting beside each other, with a third person he doesn't recognize sitting in the frame as well, looking like he's asleep. 
"There's just one thing..." Junmyeon said, looking troubled. 
"What is it?" Jongdae asked. 
"Right... Uh... He doesn't stop asking about Baekhyun." Minseok said, right at that moment, the house's door opened behind them. 
"He said he knows what he had done, that he wants to make things right." Junmyeon added. Kyungsoo turned to look back, seeing Baekhyun approaching them. 
"H-He's---..." ksoo barely mumbled in an attempt to warn the others about his arrival.

The angle of view changed around on the phone's screen, and the unknown third person's voice could be heard through it, mumbling something they couldn't make out, before Sehun hung the call up. All four of them stiffened in their spots in the middle of the hallway. Baekhyun stood there and looked at them with suspicious confusion. But Chanyeol quickly smiled and wrapped an arm around Kyungsoo's and Jongdae's shoulders. 
"Hahaa, we were just about to head back to everyone!" He said before pulling the two of them back towards the living room. Baekhyun looked at them without saying a word. 

Although Kyungsoo felt his heart thump from Chanyeol's arm around his shoulder, he was filled with sadness and confusion himself. He recognized from the video call that Junmyeon was over at Minseok's place. And he knew that their friend from the past had just made it back to live with Minseok... Which means the third person aside from them, was their friend. The one who left. 

Kyungsoo looked back to Baekhyun and Sehun after sitting down, finding that Baekhyun was already smiling and laughing again. But it's so unfair. It felt awful to hide such a thing from him. Baekhyun is smart... He must know that something is going on even if everyone, including him, are acting like everything is fine on the surface.

The hours passed. The classmates left the house, eventually Chanyeol and Sehun left as well. And it was only Jongdae, Baekhyun and him sitting in Baekhyun's room and playing different types of games together. It was fun, because for several hours Kyungsoo forgot about how tired he usually is around these hours of the night. Jongdae helped Baekhyun bring over an extra pair of blankets into the room while Kyungsoo changed into his pajamas and brushed his teeth. Then ksoo prepared his and Jongdae's beds when Baekhyun and him got ready to sleep themselves.

It was quiet when the light was turned off. They've spoken a bit before, but now the silence is starting to get to him. Lying like this in the dark, Kyungsoo felt the weight of the truth they're hiding from Baekhyun. How terrible it must feel for him to be aware that something's happening, but not knowing what it is. 

He was glad he was a part of it, because otherwise he would have began speculating other unpleasant things. Yet Baekhyun is so strong. Will they really be able to continue hiding this? How long do they think the guy will stay around? Kyungsoo wished there was a way to make things better. This is really tough.

 

 

He didn't know when he fell asleep, but he knew that when he woke up, Beakhyun was already out of the bedroom. How was he awake so early? Or... Is it possible that Baekhyun simply couldn't sleep? Kyungsoo found him down in the kitchen sipping on a glass of milk and playing on his phone, but before he could speak, Baekhyun smiled at him. 
"Morning! I thought of making some breakfast myself, but I'm not the best when it comes to handling the kitchen... Mind lending a hand?" 
"Oh. Good morning. Of course." Kyungsoo could only smile and keep on the facade.

Pancakes, scrambled eggs, toasts and bacon, all of these Kyungsoo helped teaching Baekhyun to do by demonstration and assistence. He was definitely not the best student, but hey, at least the kitchen didn't burn down in flames. By the time they were done, Jongdae had already made his way down to the kitchen as well. Breakfast was cheerful and pleasant, sitting and watching a movie together afterwards was also fun. And as the afternoon clocked in, it was time for them to leave. They both thanked Baekhyun for the hospitality before leaving his house and heading away.

"Honestly, I was afraid things would have gone bad..." Jongdae spoke as he walked beside Kyungsoo. It was cold outside again. 
"Gone bad?" 
"Yeah. With the call... We were lucky Sehun turned it off on time." Kyungsoo nodded quietly at Jongdae's concerns. It must be even harder for Jongdae to handle this feeling. He's been a closer friends to Baekhyun for longer. 
"At first I couldn't tell whether he noticed something was up or not." He sighed. There was nothing but silent crisp wind flowing in the air. 
"Aaaaugh, so difficult!" Jongdae suddenly whined out loud with frsutration, smacking his cheeks with both his hands.

"I wonder... If there's anything we could do for him?" Kyungsoo asked, hoping that maybe Jongdae would have an idea. 
"I don't know what we could possibly do in this situation... As long as we keep them separated, Baekhyun could continue on as normal. But... But he wants to meet Baekhyun... And talk with him... And we don't know what to do. We can't just tell him that. Baekhyun would not react well." Jongdae huffed out a heavy breath that left a white little imprint in the cold air for a second.

It just... felt wrong. To lie to Baekhyun like this. Kyungsoo felt his stomach turning everytime he thought about the fact that he knows something Baekhyun doesn't. It's such a dreadful feeling. There's no way he could keep holding it for a long time. 

"I just... It's not right. I feel awful, not being able to comfort Baekhyun, when I know what it is..." Kyungsoo said in an airy voice. 
"You and I both." Jongdae agreed, looking sad. "We're in the same boat here... I can't say anything... How will I explain that my own boyfriend is housing someone who had hurt him this much for so long...? Ugh. I almost feel like a traitor." Jongdae's voice was pained, and deep. Kyungsoo noticed that he started getting tense, both his hands clutched into fists. 

What are they, as Baekhyun's friends, supposed to do? How could they solve this situation of keeping Baekhyun safe, while knowing that his source of pain is now back again and wanting to see him?

What does anyone do when both sides are the good guys in the story? Or perhaps... Both of them are the bad guys? Kyungsoo didn't know anything of what really happened between them. All he did know, is that a change must happen. They aren't children anymore. They're not quite yet adults either, but at this point in their lives, all of them know that their actions carry consequences.

And that they have to carry the responsibility of dealing with those when handling sensitive situations like these. Kyungsoo wondered if it's even their place to interfere... Maybe they should just let the days roll without caring whether or not the two of them see each other. Let the world choose for them when it's their time to meet.

But knowing that Baekhyun is hurting, and might get even more pain is something Kyungsoo wouldn't be able to endure. Not if there's something that can be done. There has to be something.