Chapter 8

Doshio

 

Although Kyungsoo is very glad that things are going very well with Sohda, who keeps greeting him at every opportunity their paths cross around the school, some other things aren't going as well as expected. 

Baekhyun and Jongdae are very curious and confused about his new unexpected connection with the girl that sweeps the entire school off its feet, and Chanyeol... Well, Kyungsoo's been getting increasingly nervous around him, again.

The two of them sit right next to each other at class, and yet sometimes Kyungsoo feels like they are worlds apart. If he felt like he had gotten closer to him before, now it feels like he's swaying back further and returning to the time where he would only be watching Chanyeol from afar like a dreamy highschool drama movie. They can't even make eye contact with each other without one of them, or even both of them, turning to look away right after.

Today was especially nervewrecking for some reason. After their casual morning greeting the two of them haven't exchanged a single word. Luckily, during the break, Sohda came to their class yet again to speak with Chanyeol, handing him a few papers regarding the festival. Kyungsoo watched the two of them in awe. Almost as if sparkles were floating around them. Sohda is so wonderful, Chanyeol is even more wonderful. 

As awkward as things are between Chanyeol and himself, it seems that things are flowing better and more naturally than ever between Chanyeol and Sohda. 

After exchanging a few words, as Sohda was about to leave, she actually turned to look behind Chanyeol and spotted Kyungsoo at the back of the class. With a smile she waved at him, and only then turned to exit. Ah... She's cute, charming, and friendly, on top of being kind. Sohda is really vastly different from other people. She never seem to be freezing and getting nervous when talking with anybody. Kyungsoo wished he could learn to be naturally friendly like her as well.

Walking around school while daydreaming is something Kyungsoo is so used to doing, because normally, everyone around him would make way for him to pass untouched. But now that his reputation around the school is changing rapidly, he realized he no longer had that privilege when he accidentally bumped into a few girls in the hallway.

A quick honest apology was easily accepted with a smile from the girls, and Kyungsoo felt a hand rest on his shoulder. 
"Kyungsoo? Is everything alright?" It was Sohda, looking at him with curious worried eyes. "You look so lost... If anything is bothering you, please know that I'll be here for you and do my best to help! So let me know!" She exclaimed confidently, yet the worry never left her expression. 

Kyungsoo barely believed there will ever be a time where someone like Sohda would be offering him anything as meaningful as help and advice. This is beyond anything he'd ever expected. But seeing how well she comfortably speaks with Chanyeol when she does, and how easy it is for Chanyeol to talk with her, maybe Kyungsoo should take her for her word and receive an advice about the awkwardness surrounding the connection between Chanyeol and himself.

She must know Chanyeol pretty well. She came from the same middle school as him, and their relationship seems to be nice and close. Maybe even closer than what can be seen on the surface.

"C-Could we talk later?" Kyungsoo asked almost right away, nervous obvious in his voice. Sohda was a little surprised, but quickly smiled and nodded while holding onto his hand lightly. Even her palms are soft and gentle. 
"Of course! Let's meet near our classes." She nodded, then turned to leave with the group of girls he had bumped into.

"Is that Sohda?" Kyungsoo suddenly heard a male voice coming from behind. 
"Why was she talking with that Doshio guy?" Another male student asked. 
"He couldn't possibly be anything interesting for her to pay attention to. No way she'd be interested in... That." The other guy exclaimed, clear digust in his voice. 
"Whatever. It's annoying to see such a nuistance getting anything from her at all. She's way too good for this." They continued talking with one another, their voices fading into the distance.

Kyungsoo felt extremely discouraged about his whole closure development to Sohda, but he dismissed it out of his mind by reminding himself that after what happened with Baekhyun and Jongdae before, he's not going to let other people's destroy another one of his very few positive connections.

 

 

"So... You're having a hard time talking to Chanyeol?" Sohda asked later, as the two of them sat outside on a bench to speak privately. 
"Yes... It's different from talking to other people." Kyungsoo admitted, and after she examined Kyungsoo's expression for a bit, she began chuckling lightly. 
"You overthink this way too much!" Yes, that's what he thought as well. Sohda really got him.

"Since I've known him well from middle school, I can tell you... That whenever someone can't blend in with the rest of the class, he can't leave them alone. I know you've had a hard time getting along with the other classmates. So that must be why you think you two are pretty close. He talks with anyone, and I mean Anyone as if they're really close friends with him." Sohda began explaining, speaking in a matter of fact manner. 
"That means even if he's talking to you, I'm sure he'll treat you just like everyone else around him." She continued, and Kyungsoo could really relate and understand exactly what she means.

"It doesn't make you special or anything if he talks with you a lot. So I really don't think you need to feel awkward about talking with him at all." Wow, Sohda really is incredible. She understood the situation so well right away, and her words helped Kyungsoo ease down a whole lot. 

It makes so much sense now, he knew that Chanyeol was this type of person already, but hearing someone who knows him even better explain it really helped him understand it way better. Things will be a lot easier, now that he knows he isn't being given any special treatment like he had been conceited enough to make himself consider.

"Though, Chanyeol and you are two very different types of people." Sohda then began thinking again. "Maybe it'll be easier for you to try and talk with other people in school who have a personality similar to yours, rather than someone as lively and cheerful as Chanyeol." She smiled at Kyungsoo lightly. 

Wow, not only did she help him understand the situation better, but she even gave him a proper advice that sounds like could really solve the conflict going on in Kyungsoo's mind. He finally got to wrap his head around it. 

"Oh, I understand it now. When the two of you talk, it feels so natural and comfortable. That's because you have similar personalities." Kyungsoo replied with subtle enthusiasm. 
"You match really well!" 
"Ahh, that's not true~ We're just normal friends." Sohda shook her head immediately. 
"Whoa, so being good friends with someone means having such comfortable closeness..." Kyungsoo mumbled mostly to himself with a dreamy nod.

If that's the way Chanyeol interacts with all of his friends, then it's only normal that Kyungsoo would become nervous because of it. He's never gotten to experience such closeness to people before, although he's slowly learning thanks to Baekhyun and Jongdae. All this time he had only blamed himself for this awkwardness, but it seems that Chanyeol's general openness also serves a factor in the situation.

Kyungsoo who comes from a background of isolation and disapproval, compared to Chanyeol who comes from a background of admirtion and liveliness. No wonder Kyungsoo's having a hard time adjusting to properly communicating with him.

He couldn't even greet Chanyeol properly in the mornings at first, even though greeting fellow classmates in the morning is just the very basic level of interaction that he had attempted, and failed, with other classmates before.

"Thank you, Sohda." Kyungsoo smiled at her softly. "You've helped me a whole lot. I feel a lot better about this now. I will continue doing my best from now on, and get over my fears. Maybe one day I could speak with him as freely as you do." He said hopefully, but then quickly shook his head dismissively. 
"Ah, I will never reach that, but I'll still try to make it better." He smiled at her instead, and bowed his head with gratitude. 

She greeted him with a wave of goodbye as he left the bench and their conversation. He felt pretty embarrassed, for even daring to compare anything about himself to Sohda's way higher level of being. But everything she said was so insightful and true. Until the end of the day Kyungsoo continued analyzing the conversation in his head so he could learn even more from it. Left with, as always, another task to complete in school because he volunteered to save his classmates from the burden, he made his way outside with a water filled watering can.

All though last year he was also assigned by the various teachers to take care of the little garden. It was nice. Kyungsoo liked it a lot. Usually that spot of school isn't too crowded, and he's able to daydream to himself in peace.

Kyungsoo was calmly watering the flowers, humming a song from the upcoming performance of Chanyeol's band in the festival to himself. He hasn't really been to the band practices for some time. Of course he kept delivering the food when it was needed, but he didn't stay to watch them, or keep Chanyeol company when they end. 

It was all quietl until he heard steps coming near him. The steps ceased at the trail diverting from the flower path. 
"Kyungsoo..." Kyungsoo would recognize this voice even in his sleep. It was Chanyeol.

He paused the watering process and turned to look up at Chanyeol curiously. Repeating Sohda's words of encouragement in his head. 
"I know I just called you, but I don't really know what I wanted to say..." Chanyeol admitted, looking pretty confused. Has he been practicing on his own? He looked a little sweaty. "Ugh what am I saying!" His nose scrunched in disgruntlement and he smacked his own face with his palm. 
"I just, saw you on the way to the vending machine, so---..." Chanyeol tried to explain himself, looking nervous and making strange gestures with his hands.

He's acting a little strange, but Kyungsoo understood now. From the way Chanyeol was behaving now, he knew that he wasn't the only one nervous. Chanyeol must have been feeling the same awkwardness and trying to find a way to deal with it on his own as well. He wondered if Chanyeol as well, had to go and ask for an advice from a friend to gather enough courage to approach him again like this. Isn't it hilarious?

Without noticing, Kyungsoo found himself standing there with the watering can and smiling, even laughing from the warm tingly sensation that spread through his body now that he realized he wasn't the only one in distress.

"This is the first time in weeks," Chanyeol suddenly said, sounding all calmed down and collected again. Kyungsoo looked at him curiously, seeing how Chanyeol's face turned into another one of his blindingly beautiful smiles that radiate everything that's good in the world.
"That I've seen you smile like this." There was a shine of satisfaction in his eyes, and just like that, everything has been fixed again. All thanks to Chanyeol.

The two of them laughed for a short while, Kyungsoo felt the muscles in his body loosen down into relaxation. Chanyeol's wide shoulders also lowered in relief. 
"Ah, by the way, Minseok told me that Tan has gotten way bigger." He gestured with his hands like a child. "Tan also plays around a lot. Even fetch! This cat is sure he's a dog or something." Chanyeol grinned, and Kyungsoo chuckled heartfully at the image of a cat bringing back a thrown object. So cute!

"We should go see him again soon!" Chanyeol then claimed. 
"Yes, I would love to." Kyungsoo replied with as much energy he could muster to counter Chanyeol's. He hadn't really realized it, but the two of them were standing fairly close to one another now, compared to when the conversation began. Close enough so that he had to raise his head quite a lot to look up in Chanyeol's eyes. He felt like he could get lost in them if they continue this contact any longer.

Such little distance is the only thing separating them. Kyungsoo being within Chanyeol's vicinity is already a lot. But being this close started building a certain odd urge within him.

"Kyungsooo~!" Sohda's voice broke the intimate little moment of eye contact the two of them were sharing. She approached the two of them with a smile. 
"What are you two up to, why do you keep freezing like a paused movie frame every time I see you?" She laughed softly. 
"We were having an important conversation about cats, Dahee~" Chanyeol replied calmly. And Kyungsoo stared at them for a little bit.

Why... Why does Chanyeol call her differently from everyone else? Maybe now is a good time for him to bring it up. The two of them are so comfortable and easy to socialize with, that surely, it couldn't be a deep dark secret between them, right? 
"Dahee? Not Sohda...?" 
"Her name is Soh Dah Hee. Sohda was just her nickname since middle school. Everyone calls her that, so it might have been confusing." Chanyeol explained calmly. Kyungsoo could notice something a little strange happening to Dahee's expression for a moment, as if she's extremely upset for a split second, before she turned to him with a smile. "Haha, that's true."

So... This whole time, Kyungsoo kept feeling weird about Chanyeol calling her this what he thought was a nickname so casually, although he doesn't often show close connections with other girls, and now he found out that he was just calling her by real name? Sohda was just something that everyone has called her ever since middle school? Somehow, he felt extremely relieved knowing that. But he didn't exactly understand why.

Dahee's expression turned a little strange again. She looked tense and dissatisfied with something, but it quickly vanished yet again when she turned towards Chanyeol. 
"Chanyeol~ Do you mind if I borrow Kyungsoo for a bit?" She asks in her usual cheerful tone.
"Oh, of course. Actually I have to get going back to the practice room again. I was on my way to get a drink, haha." He admitted and rubbed the back of his head. Kyungsoo wondered if he was the reason Chanyeol took so long to do what he set out to do. 
"I'll catch you later, Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol waved at him warmly and headed off, out of their sight. 

 

 

Once Kyungsoo finished his watering job, he and Dahee met at the school's gate again, and began walking back. Strangely enough, she was acting a little different than usual. She walked in quick steps, and remained a small distance ahead of Kyungsoo's walking pace. 
"Sohda--- I mean, Dahee!" He called out in an attempt to slow her down. 

"Don't call me Dahee!" She stopped in her spot and demanded in a cold almost aggressive voice. Slowly though, while turning her head towards Kyungsoo, her smile returned again.
"Calling me Sohda is fine. Alright?" Her sweet voice returned as well. Kyungsoo was so taken aback by her quick intense change in the weather that he couldn't do much but nod in surprise. Maybe she's been having a bad day.

"Actually..." Sohda began talking again, back to her usual calmness and gentle voice. 
"There is someone that I really like, but I haven't done anything to show it to them... What do you think I should do?" Kyungsoo stares at her silently for a while. 

Until he realized that this doesn't make any sense, how is he supposed to know? Sohda, perfect-at-everything-Sohda is asking him? Good-for-nothing-Kyungsoo, for a love advice? He has no idea what to say, what should she do? How will he know? Kyungsoo began panicking internally.

"Don't worry, I'm not lookin for advice." She chuckled, probably noticing Kyungsoo's stress rising. 
"What I'm saying is... I'm going to need your help, Kyungsoo." She said with a smile.
"My help? Are you sur---" 
"You're the only one who can do this for me." She answered before Kyungsoo could even finish the question. Whoa... This is a lot of responsibility to carry for one Kyungsoo alone. Will he be able to do it? Whatever it may be. 
"I'll try my best." He decided, taking courage from Sohda's very own words he had received before. "What should I do, then?" He asked curiously, slightly worriedly, too. 

"Don't worry about it, I will tell you what to do when the time is right." Sohda nodded cheerfully. At least it looks like she's back to her usual self, maybe she was stressing over this a lot and it just affected her earlier. 
"Won't I ruin the mood if I'm around though...?" Kyungsoo asked a bit nervously, since he's still known for being the possible ghost of death around the school. Sohda laughed lightly. 

"Not at all! You see, it's someone that you know well." she said, her smile turning from soft into cold and distant. Her pretty white teeth are still showing from underneath her spreaded pretty lips. 
"The person I like is Chanyeol."

Oh. Ohh. Kyungsoo should have probably expected it. Maybe he was supposed to know that? Chanyeol is nice and cheerful with everyone, and the fact that he kept calling her by her actual name instead of her middle school nickname gave Kyungsoo the sensation that there was quite a connection between them. Does that mean the two of them are going to start dating? Chanyeol is going to have someone special to him? And Kyungsoo's going to help Soda achieve becoming that someone?

His mind began spiraling in a chaos of contradicting thoughts towards both Chanyeol and Sohda. He can't even point a finger at whether or not the majority of these thoughts are positive or negative. 
"Thank you, Kyungsoo, I'm really glad you're willing to help." Sohda smiled towards him with satisfaction. Almost as if she had stolen something that couldn't be given back. For that one moment, he was captivated by her smile. 
"I will see you tomorrow then!" She waved at him cheerfully and began walking away.

Wait... Wait... This is all wrong. He really does want to help her, she's been so kind and helpful ever since he met her, but this is not how things are supposed to go. Something inside him just cannot accept that. The two of them as a couple would have been the most dazzling pair in school, he knew that. They are both so amazing, but... Something just doesn't work. Something doesn't add up, doesn't match in Kyungsoo's head. Like two puzzle pieces that don't really sit together, so they connect, but they cannot be rested on a flat surface like they should.

Kyungsoo stepped forward, a few quick steps to catch up to the short distance she had made between them, and pretty swiftly, he grabbed onto her arm gently and made her stop and turn around halfway to look at him.

"I can't do this," He said before his mind could tell him otherwise. "I don't think I will be able to do this." He stood there and stared at her, hands holding onto her arm. His mind was in so much chaos that all the noise had turned into absolute silence at this point. A dry breeze blew in the air, it was incredibly loud in Kyungsoo's ears. A few moments of silence led to Sohda freeing her arm from Kyungsoo's hold and turning sideways, her expression no longer held any joy.

"I guess... I really don't suit Chanyeol... Huh." She looked like she's about to become sad, Is she trying to make Kyungsoo feel guilty for this? Because it surely does work. 
"That's not what I meant." Kyungsoo quickly responded a bit nervously. 

"Huh? Then wouldn't you want to support me in this?" She asked, turning towards Kyungsoo fully with a saddened smile. 
"You're the only one I've ever told about this to... Or... Do you think that other girls would suit him better than me...?" She raised her hand up and began her own long hair lightly.

"I do think that you two suit each other." Kyungsoo admitted, because really, they would look impossibly good together. They already do look good just by talking with each other around school. 
"Then---" Sohda began. 
"But. I can't really support you with my whole heart..." Kyungsoo cut her off and looked down at the ground, his mind feels like a tv screen displaying white noise, so everything that comes out now is straight out of his heart. It was the first time he had ever interrupted anybody else's words like that.

"It seems that Chanyeol is someone special to me. So I can't be of any help... I'm sorry." This is only fair, right? Since soda had shared her feelings with him, now he was able to share his deep feelings with her too. Just like her, he hasn't told anybody about them before. To be quite honest, he hasn't even realized he had these feelings before until this point. 

He doesn't even know how to identify these feelings into an existing verbal term. But he knows that the stinging his heart felt whenever he imagined Chanyeol treating anybody else like they're special, is very real, and very painful. Kyungsoo wished that there was something else he could do for her instead. Chanyeol must be someone special to her just like he is to Kyungsoo. 

Ah, there is something he could do. Kyungsoo began, looking at Sohda with a bright expression of hope. 
"Sohda, even though I cannot help you with this, I think I can understand the way you feel. So... If you ever want to talk about it, I'll be there to listen---" 
"You're so annoying." Sohda's eyes were cold and distant, her voice was also low and detached. Kyungsoo was surprised, and began looking around the two of them. Could there be a different person around them who said these words?

"Why won't you stop being so bothersome. Isn't this the point where you step back and realize just how different the two of us are?" She continued talking, but Kyungsoo found it hard to believe that such a mean sounding voice could come out of such a lovely marvelous person.

"What is this, what do you mean with 'understand the way you feel'?! Do you want to go out with Chanyeol or something?!" Sohda raised her voice, looking directly in Kyungsoo's face with an angry determined expression. 
"N-No! There's no way...!" Kyungsoo quickly responded, shaking his head and hands to decline, his confidence crumbling with surprise and fear from the amount of negative energy surrounding Sohda right now. He was scared that if he's say or do something wrong he will hurt her somehow.

Being shouted at like this by such an overwhelmingly beautiful and powerful person is something Kyungsoo has never experienced before, so his heart dropped to his feet when he saw the true sadness and anger in Sohda's eyes. 
"So?! What do you mean with Chanyeol being 'special' to you, then?!" She pestered further, stepping closer to his face. 
"W-Well---" 
"Is it because he was nice to you?!" 
"Yes---" 
"Paid attention to you?! Or maybe because he was just being friendly to you?!" 
"M-Maybe---" Kyungsoo couldn't process anything of what's happening right now, all he knew is that he must not hurt Sohda in any way, she's too good to deserve getting hurt by him.

"That's only because of his personality, isn't it?! So as long as someone is kind to you, it doesn't have to be Chanyeol, right?!" She slammed this argument against him. He was already leaning backwards to make sure to keep at least a bit of a distance between the two of them. Feeling so confused and lost.

Sohda kept staring at him for a few moments as he was unable to respond, until her face shifted from anger into pure sadness. 
"This isn't fair... Kyungsoo." Her voice sounded just as sad. "Just because others keep avoiding you because of your ghost-like looks... You don't even have to do anything to get Chanyeol's attention..." She mumbled, sounding like she's about to cry. 

"You know... Even someone as pretty, as smart and as popular as me has to work so hard to get his attention!" Her voice gradually raised in volume and intestity again, as she began complaining angrily at him. Kyungsoo saw her eye shine with the possibility of tears, but she turned around and rushed away before it could grow further, her pretty hands clutched into fists. 

Kyungsoo never knew it was so tough being this popular. Being up there at the top looked like something that promises nothing but happiness and ease. But, something else came over his thoughts. All this time... He was benefitting just because he is the infamous 'Doshio'? Does he really have an advantage he hasn't realized he does? Does he make things... Unfair?

Later that evening at home, as Kyungsoo was folding laundry in front of the TV, and watching with his parents, the drama that aired was displaying a similar situation to what happened between Sohda and him Just a few hours ago. Where the popular girl is angry at the outcasted girl for grabbing the male protagonists' attention.

As he was spreading the folded clothes to the right drawers, Sohda's words kept echoing in his head again. She was absolutely correct. Kyungsoo had only been taking advantage of Chanyeol's kindness all this time just because of his situation. He began wondering if maybe Sohda was right when she said that anyone would work in Chanyeol's stead as long as they are kind to him.

 

 

Faster than Kyungsoo was preparing for, the day of the festival had arrived. For the past few days anybody barely had any classes, the rest of the time spent at school was for the sake of decorating and finishing up the very last preparations for the event. 

Along with the musical event that includes Chanyeol and his band, there would be a stand up act, a performance by the school's choir, a few speeches, and even football and basketball games between the schools in their field and gym. There will be guests from all over the town, students, children and parents alike. Even the mayor will be coming to visit.

In the morning, the principal had gathered all of the students outside in front of the stage, and gave them a small encouraging speech. The classics about doing their best to display the school's charm to everyone else at every aspect. Since the main event was happening outside, instead of using the classrooms, the students have been building little booths in the center of school's grounds. Foods, drinks, even school mascot merch, nice shady spots to sit and enjoy the day at, and other various attractions for the guests to visit. The school looked extremely colorful and festive.

Until all of the events actually begins, the students were allowed to have some free time to prepare. Most of his classmates remained in class to hype each other up. The atheletes were busy discussing the plans for their football and basketball matches, the booth operators were helping each other tie the aprons around their bodies, and the performers were chatting within themselves about the thrill of being on a stage for the first time.

As stage operator, Baekhyun was dressed in a very sportive outfit, and as they talked he added a hat to complete the look. As a setlist manager, Jongdae was dressed fairly formal, with a buttoned shirt and even a ribbon tie, only his lower half was simple black shorts and sports shoes. Sehun's outfit was even better, since he is a performer, he and the band had decided to go for a punk-rock style. He had a tight turtleneck shirt that accentuated his good figure, studded suspenders, and torn skinny jeans to match with it all. His hair was also styled backwards in a unique way.

They looked so cool. It was pretty interesting to see everyone wearing these outfits compared to the usual school uniforms. Kyungsoo should have done the same... But he hadn't thought about it when he prepared all the food and drinks this morning. So he came with the school uniform anyway. His job was the same as before, a simple backstage helper that makes sure all of the performers and operative crews were well fed, and well hydrated.

Kyungsoo was concentrating on preparing himself mentally for the job, that he realized Chanyeol was approaching him only when he already stood really closely in front of him.

Dressed in a low cut printed shirt, an extremely cool looking leather jacket, torn black jeans and army boots, along with a hairstyle that looked like a comma of hair on his freshly exposed forehead. Kyungsoo's heart burst in his chest. Chanyeol is incredible. So handsome, so hot, Kyungsoo's breath was shaking. He looked like a true music star, like the idol he is.

With a smile, Chanyeol raised his hand lightly, and waited patiently for Kyungsoo to do the same. 
"Good luck today! I'll see you backstage." He said cheerfully, and fist bumped into Kyungsoo's palm before leaving the classroom. Ah... Kyungsoo could die happily... But before he was able to appreciate the moment, Sehun's fist also bumped into his palm. "Good luck charm." He said with a small smile, following Chanyeol outside.

And then a whole line was formed in front of him by his classmates, each one of them fist bumping into his palm before leaving the classroom, saying how now they will be successful because they've gotten the good luck charm. 

How crazy is that... From the most dangerously cursed person in school, Kyungsoo had turned into a good luck charm for his classmates' success? "Looks like you've been upgraded!" Baekhyun laughed. Kyungsoo really feels like part of the classroom for a change. And it's all thanks to Chanyeol. These feelings he's having towards Chanyeol, did they all come just because Chanyeol kept helping him all this time? Is he really 'special' to Kyungsoo at all?

The event has began. The football games in the field, the basketball games inside the gym, the booths were crowding with visitors, and the outdoors stage was growing in audience more and more. 

Kyungsoo only gets to catch a glimpse of the mass only when he goes on the stage to replace all of the waterbottles. Otherwise, he's mostly at the back constantly making sure nobody is hungry or thirsty. It's the perfect job for him, he has such little presence that nobody would notice him being there at all. As he went to replace the bottles for the second time on stage, he noticed a familiar face in the crowd, but didn't have any time to stay there and examine them.

As he got off the stage from the back, he noticed someone approaching the closed area. After pulling his cap a little higher he recognized him. It was Junmyeon.

Cheerfully, he stepped out of the contained area and went towards him. 
"Hey, Kyungsoo!" Junmyeon smiled and hugged Kyungsoo gently. "I'm surprised to see you participating! Last year you didn't even come to school during the festivals." Junmyeon laughed lightly. 
"Ah, yes, I'm in charge of the water around here, mostly. Chanyeol gave me this role..." He rubbed the back of his head. 
"Chanyeol?" Junmyeon sounded surprised, but it quickly turned into a smile. "What a good kid. Of course he'd give you a role. Bet he became an organizer too." Whoa, how could Junmyeon tell? He must know Chanyeol quite well if he guessed these things correctly.

"Hey! Junmyeon!" Speaking of the devil, Chanyeol's voice came from behind Kyungsoo, reaching the two of them as he pulled Junmyeon into a cheerful hug. 
"Yo, kiddo, nice to see you again! I came by to see how the festival was going... Look at you!" Junmyeon examined Chanyeol from head to toe. 
"Going with the band this year?" 
"Yeah. Say, have you seen Yubin around? She's our main singer but I haven't seen her today at all... She doesn't answer he phone either, and we're up in an hour." Chanyeol sighed. Kyungsoo just stood there quietly and listened to the two of them talking. Slowly, Sehun also came towards them.

"Nope. Not sight of her. Which songs are you performin---..." Junmyeon's words paused as Sehun made his way and stood right beside Chanyeol, looking at him quietly. 

Whoa, what a sudden shift in the atmosphere. What's with the sudden silence? It looked like Junmyeon and Sehun were unable to lay their eyes off of each other. 
"Junmyeon, this is Sehun. He's coming on stage with me." Chanyeol smiled and wrapped an arm around Sehun's shoulder. 

"We're performing 'Run This', 'Uprising', and a few more... Then we finish with 'Heaven'." Sehun explained. "Sorry, I heard the conversation earlier." He smiled lightly and offered his hand to shake. Junmyeon shook Sehun's hand firmly and smiled at the introduction. 
"Ah well, these are well known songs. In case she doesn't show up I'm sure another singer will be able to take her place." He replied calmly. That's a very mature and resourceful answer. 

It is just a school festival, nothing is really taken too seriously. But still, for the band who have practiced for so long together, it must be quite a big deal anyway. 
"Hey, I'm going to see what else is around. I'll definitely be coming to see your performance though!" Junmyeon then exclaimed and waved goodbye to the three of them.

"Ahhh I'm so excited! And nervous!" Chanyeol rubbed his face with a pout as he began walking back behind the stage. But sehun remained standing in the same spot, watching Junmyeon's back slowly get swallowed in the rest of the crowd. 

Kyungsoo hasn't seen Sehun looking this interesting in anything, let alone anybody, ever since they met. He wondered what made usually uncaring Sehun so immersed in Junmyeon.

 

 

The time is passing, and Kyungsoo kept doing his job, giving food and drinks to everyone behind the stage and replacing the used bottles on stage with bran new ones. It seemed that the crowd in front keeps growing bigger with each performance, and soon both the basketball and football games will come to an end, so the only source of entertainment would be the stage performances.

Along with that, Kyungsoo kept hearing how the band is still missing thair lead singer. Baekhyun seemed to be taking it easy and relaxing by the operation table with his fellow technical workers, while Jongdae looked really mature and cool as he made sure the timing is going according to plan, while also trying to help the band get in contact with their singer.

It's ten minutes before the band's performance, and they're already walking around backstage to relieve a bit of their anxiety before going on stage. 
"Guys! I got a text from Yubin!" One of the bandmates calls out, rushing to show the rest the message he'd received. 

"What?! She broke her arm and is stuck in the hospital?!" Chanyeol gasped and quickly took out his own phone. "I hope she gets well soon..." He began tapping his screen to write her a message with a worried expression. Whoa, he's so selfless... He didn't even think about their performance at all when he heard the news, but his friends' health really came as the priority regardless of the important situation.

"Seems like our stage might not be happening today..." Another bandmate began sadly, as the text receiver updated Jongdae about the news. No... Kyungsoo wouldn't want to see Chanyeol, Sehun and the band have to cancel their performance. 

They've worked so hard and practiced so much for this to come true. He was there, he saw the amount of time, effort, sweat, and tears that they've invested into preparing for this chance. He was looking forward to seeing Chanyeol on stage. This was really heartbreaking. Quietly, Kyungsoo looked at the setlist placed on one of the tables behind the stage. 

Run this... Uprising... Heaven... Wait, these songs are pretty well known. Junmyeon said earlier that if Yubin doesnt show up, there definitely has to be another student willing to perform it with them. Kyungsoo had formed a possible solution in his thoughts, his body got filled with adrenaline.

"Chanyeol!" He quickly rushed to the band, Chanyeol turned to look at him immediately, quite surprised. Kyungsoo normally doesn't call his name too often after all. Not with this much enthusiasm. 
"These songs that you are going to perform... Everybody knows them." Kyungsoo began, looking at the band and Jongdae having all their eyes on him. 
"What if somebody else will sing them for you?" He suggested, holding an empty water bottle he picked tightly in his hands.

"Really? Can anybody replace Yubin and her cool punk voice...?" One of the bandmates asked. "Do you know these songs?" The member then asked ksoo. Who quickly shook his head nervously, oh god, there's no way he's going to perform with them himself. 
"I don't know how Uprising goes..." Kyungsoo replied. The band all began thinking seriously.

"Uh... I know all of the songs." Jongdae then said, looking at them as he held the folder of sheets and a pen in his hand. The band all gathered into themselves, leaning down with arms around each other as if they're having a secret little meetup right in front of them. They've spoken for a bit, Jongdae and Kyungsoo exchanged a questioning look with each other, before the band stood back up normally and Chanyeol stepped in front of Jongdae and placed a hand on his shoulder. It almost like a knighting ceremony in a way.

"Right. Jongdae, we're in your hands, then." He said in a jokingly serious manner before smiling and heading towards the stairs that lead to the stage. 
"H-Huh? What do you mean? A-Are you saying I'm going to join you guys?! No, there's no way, I know the songs but I'm the setlist manager! I can't just---" Jongdae began whining, trying to find excuses in protest. Whoa... Kyungsoo was seriously lucky that he didn't know all of the songs. He wouldn't have been able to handle this responsibility.

"We'll adjust to your pace." Sehun patted jongdae's shoulder before following Chanyeol. "Plus, we're the last act. You won't have any list to care for after us." He added, and Jongdae couldn't deflect it anymore. He couldn't find any more excuses as to why he is unable to do it. 

Kyungsoo watched him stand there and look down at the list nervously. But there was a bright shine of excitement in his eyes as he placed the folder aside and started getting mic'ed up with the help of another band member. These people... All of them are so amazingly talented and so incredibly kind. Kyungsoo felt like he had just witnessed a holy good deed being done.

The time for the band's performance has come. Right before they went on stage, Kyungsoo had to climb up the stage from the back and replace the water bottles. He finished quickly, making sure to place the bottles in the best positions he possibily could. He also managed to spot Junmyeon standing at the front of the crowd with a smile before getting back.

He passed right by Chanyeol on the stairs as they went up. It felt a little like time was going on slowmotion when Chanyeol smiled at him with so much wamrth and affection. 
"Do your best...!" Kyungsoo quickly cheered for him. 

"Yes, I will." Chanyeol said in return, and ran his hand over Kyungsoo's arm gently before stepping up and disappearing onto the stage. Kyungsoo's arm felt like it had been put aflame. His heart nearly jumping out of his chest. Chanyeol really takes his breath away.

 

 

Instead of watching the performance from the front like the audience, Kyungsoo had to watch it on the screen of a tablet that's located behind the stage for the staff to see. He stood quietly with a few other students who performed before, and watched the show. 

Jongdae took over the singer role exceptionally well. His voice was just as punk rock as Kyungsoo remembered Yubin's voice to be. He didn't even change the key of the songs at all. It really looked like he had been practicing with them all along. Even his half formal half simple outfit blended in perfectly with the style they've chosen. 

And although Kyungsoo was more than proud of Jongdae, he couldn't remove his eyes from Chanyeol on the screen. He looked... Godly. He looked like the embodiment of happiness in human form. There was so much good radiating from him, so much fun, confidence and pride. Ah, deep down, Kyungsoo wishes he could maybe one day make Chanyeol radiate as much happiness as well. Seeing his idol like this made him feel so good and warm inside.

The band was on stage for nearly half an hour, but it felt like the performance ended really quickly. As Jongdae's soothing sweet voice stretched at the last note of 'Heaven', Kyungsoo felt incredible relief filling his heart. 

It was good. The performance was spectacular thanks to Jongdae's unexpected singing debut. The crowd went wild with the cheers, and even attempted to chant 'Encore' to convince the boys to sing some more. Sadly, they haven't prepared anything else for such a success, but they were extremely flattered by the support, as seen by their wide smile of true happiness.

To finish off the performance, and the entire festive day's activities, Jongdae handed Chanyeol the microphone to give his last words. He explained the vocal replacement situation with Jongdae to the audience in an amusing, laughter inducing manner, and thanked him yet again for saving them. Then he thanked the rest of the performers, the crowd, the staff members, the technical team with Baekhyun. Kyungsoo was clapping loudly from behind the stage, praising all of the hardworking students that deserved the shoutout.

He was preparing himself to go on stage and begin cleaning the bottles again when he heard Chanyeol mention his name. 
"Kyungsoo, thank you for keeping everyone hydrated today. And also, thank you for coming up with the brilliant idea of taking Jongdae along with us to sing." Kyungsoo felt his heart blasting in his chest. He froze in his spot in shock.

Huh? What? Why? Kyungsoo hasn't done anything at all? He wasn't anything important? He only hoped to become useful in some way, but he definitely didn't deserve these praises. He felt his cheeks flush when watching the band bow to the crowd and slowly make their way back behind the stage.

As they entered the area, they looked so high on happiness and excitement. Sweating and messy and tired, but so, so happy. Even Sehun was laughing with the bandmates when they made their way to their little corner backstage to change out of their sweaty clothes. Chanyeol and another bandmate had remained on stage for a little longer.

Jongdae came off the stage in a daze, his eyes were sparkling brightly and all he could do was slip down to the first chair he found and stare in front of him. Kyungsoo couldn't help but laugh lightly before congratulating him for the debut and praising his singing skills, receiving a shy rub to the head in return.

Baekhyun then burst behind the stage in a thrill and rushed towards Jongdae, praising him constantly in excitement. He kept pointing out more and more cool moments Jongdae had on stage. Like when he decided to rasp up his voice for a strong note. Or when he rolled his pronounciation to give it an interesting twist. 

"I've recorded everything on my phone!" Baekhyun grinned. "I bet there's SOMEBODY who wants to send this video to their boyfriend~ They'll have to beg for it, though!" He gave Jongdae a smile of victory, and Jongdae just pounced right on him and tried to grab the phone away from his hand, all flushed and whiny. It was so adorable and funny, Kyungsoo couldn't stop laughing at the way they began bickering.

But then, Chanyeol came off stage, he was laughing with his bandmate. Kyungsoo looked at him, immersed in the way there's a sun shining right out of his skin. When he spotted Kyungsoo looking at him in awe, he quickly rushed towards him. The other bandmate had joined the others. This is bliss. Chanyeol is everything good in this world, and Kyungsoo is really the luckiest man to be able to even stand before him when he's this ecstatic.

"Thank you, Kyungsoo. I really meant what I said." He spoke warmly. 
"T-The performance was amazing! Everyone loved it a lot!" Kyungsoo quickly muttered, his heart speeding in his chest. It'd be too much to aknowledge the praise he was given. 

He felt shy from being so fascinated in the way the sweat is slowly sliding down Chanyeol's neck. 
"It's all thanks to your brilliant idea. Jongdae killed it up there. Thank you." Chanyeol raised his hand up in the air a little again, Kyungsoo followed along, and this time, instead of a fist bump, Chanyeol gave him a high five and lightly brushed Kyungsoo's hand with his longer fingers before walking towards the band's corner. 
"Indeed, a good luck charm." He said before disappearing behind the curtain.

Kyungsoo wasn't sure if Chanyeol's fingers brushed against his hand, or maybe directly against his heart. Chanyeol... Chanyeol must be somehow special to him, right? Could all of these feelings just be a part of Chanyeol's kindness towards him? Sohda's words won't leave his mind, and it made him feel extremely confused about the way his heart kept booming simply from barely touching Chanyeol's hand.

 

 

As he stepped out of the backstage for some air, he saw Sohda standing and waiting there, looking so beautiful with her casual outfit and styled hair. It looks like she's holding something in her hands, too. He approached her calmly. 

"Sohda, hello!" He greeted her with a small smile. Sohda didn't seem too excited to be seeing him there. She looked at him with a neutral expression. The closer he stepped the better he was able to see her. He noticed she was holding a small box of chocolates in her hands. 
"Ahh! Are these for the team that worked on the event?" Kyungsoo asked, assuming that since she was a part of the organizers team, she handed one of these boxes to each of the four activity fields today.

Before she could answer, or say anything at all, a bunch of girls from their grade passed by.
"Whoaa, look at that, Sohda is so nice! Handing out chocolates to the teams that helped!" One of them said. 
"Right! So sweet!" Another replied. 

Sohda's expression looked troubled and angry for a moment, before shifting into a bright beautiful smile. She handed Kyungsoo the box of chocolates. 
"There you go! Share it with everyone!" Kyungsoo gladly accepted the box and bowed to her with gratitude. 
"I'll make sure everyone gets a piece." He nodded and watched how her face dropped back down to a cold expression when the group of girls left.

"Sohda, have you watched the band's performance?" Kyung then asked in a friendly manner.
"Duh, of course I have. Chanyeol was amazing." She replied impatiently. Even though she just praised Chanyeol, it sounded like she didn't really mean it at all because of her tone. 
"Right! They've all prapared for so long. Even Jongdae did an incredible work as their unexpected singer." Kyungsoo smiled lightly. 

"Anyway," Sohda barely waited for him to finish talking. "Where is Chanyeol?" 
"Ah, I think he's changing his clothes now." Kyungsoo replied and turned to look back at the little cloth walled backstage area they've built. 
"Are you waiting for him to come out?" He asked gently, and Sohda just crossed her arms and looked away with an unhappy pout. She must be. 

"I can tell him that you're waiting, so please stay here." Kyungsoo offered, and turned to walk back inside, except from the corner of his eye he spotted Sehun leaving from the backstage's other exit. Standing and waiting for him at the shade of one of the trees, was Junmyeon. Sehun seemed to be as surprised as Kungsoo to find it out, but he went to him anyway, and the two of them began talking and walking towards another section of the school out of Kyungsoo's sight.

Maybe the reason Junmyeon and Sehun stared at each other for so long earlier was because Junmyeon had to tell him something important now. Maybe they even know each other from before Chanyeol had introduced them before the concert began.

Either way, from standing and staring at the two of them by the backstage's exit, he didn't realize that someone passed through and bumped into him and the chocolate box he received from Sohda. 
"Ah, Kyungsoo! What's that?" It was Chanyeol, looking refreshed after changing to simple sport clothes after the performance. 

What a good timing. Chanyeol stared at the box curiously as Kyungsoo looked up at him. 
"Sohda gave us this box to share with everyone." He explained, then remembered why he wanted to speak with him now.
"Ah, also, she's there waiting to talk with you." He said calmly and gestured towards where Sohda was standing and already smiling beautifully in Chanyeol's direction. 

"Oh, thanks. Save me a piece, okay?" Chanyeol nodded with a smile and headed over to her. Kyungsoo remained standing at the makeshift cloth door and watched how Sohda laughed, how cheerfully she spoke with Chanyeol compared when she spoke with him a moment ago.

She really is putting so much effort in trying to communicate with Chanyeol easily and naturally like this... Maybe Kyungsoo really doesn't deserve to be treated so nicely and kindly by Chanyeol if he never had to try as hard as Sohda does to receive that attention from him.

His impression of Sohda changed quite a lot after the two of them have opened up to each other about how they feel. Sohda loves Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo... Kyungsoo thinks Chanyeol is special to him. Kyungsoo still found her to be an incredible and beautiful person, even if she sometimes seems to be upset at him. 

Actually... After he's had the conversation with her, Kyungsoo looked up the definition of the word 'special' in the dictionary. 

'Special' is something that is different from anything else of its kind, something unique, or meaningful, or outstanding. And Kyungsoo since then had tried to think whether or not Chanyeol really was someone he considers special. Maybe it was just his misuse of the word simply because he hadn't had much chance to speak to many other people about describing his feelings. 

In Kyungsoo's eyes, Chanyeol currently is special because he admires him and wants to learn how to become more like him. But Sohda herself, up until that conversation, was also special in a similar manner. It wasn't quite exactly the same... But, does it mean another person could be placed up there in Chanyeol's position if they'd be similar to him and to Sohda's first impression? Or is there something else that Kyungsoo doesn't quite yet understand about the way his own heart works when Chanyeol's the subject.

The day has come to an end. Kyungsoo realized just how relieved, happy, and exhausted he is from the entire thing. The preparations that lasted weeks, the labor it took to plan, to build, to help and support, it was so, so tiring. But also totally worth it. He's had a great time. 

It seems his exhaustion had taken over him earlier than expected, because when the time came to begin taking apart all of what they've built from the stage, Jongdae ordered him to head home and rest instead. Claiming he looked like he'd pass out if he had to lift even a piece of paper in his hands.

Kyungsoo was grateful for his consideration, and although he attempted to insist on staying and helping out, he was practically shooed away by both Baekhyun and Jongdae together. He's so lucky to have such kind hearted friends who would take upon themselves his responsibilites to allow him to take care of his own health. He didn't even tell them he had to stay until early in the morning to prepare all the food for today... So he felt even more touched by the fact that even without knowing that, they'd still do it for him.

As he passed the font gate and began heading home, the sun setting in the sky and shining red and orange rays everywhere, he spotted a pair of familiar people standing under one of the trees and talking.

Sehun was smiling warmly and laughing from time to time, looking at ease, having all of his attention directly solely on Junmyeon, who stood in front of him with just as bright of a smile. While Sehun's arms were crossed due to his supermodel-like posture, Junmyeon spoke with many hand gestures. All that's missing are a few shiny sparkles in the air, maybe a few bubbles, and it would look like a scene out of a romance movie.

Although he was curious, his exhaustion won, and Kyungsoo decided to leave them be and head back home without stopping. They looked so happy, so cheerful... Does he ever make Chanyeol smile like that? Has he ever made Chanyeol feel as happy as it looks like the two of them are feeling by simply talking with each other?

Has he... Really just been using Chanyeol's kindness to fulfill his own selfishly desired capacity of attention? He wished he knew what his heart really felt whenever it sped up because of Chanyeol's presence.