Chapter 7

Doshio

 

Lately, it seems that strange things are happening to Kyungsoo. Not bad things, but just, weird things. Especially at school, when he's on his own and not paying attention to his surrounding. 

A few days ago, two guys from another class stopped him on the way to school just to show him their funny distorted facial expressions. But after he didn't respond with much other than a confused "Oh..." They looked like they've failed something. Just yesterday, when he was walking the halls, one of the girls from his grade attempted to tickle him on the arm, but he isn't very sensitive there, so he was just too startled to have any sort of reaction. As she walked away with her other classmate she said something about failing, too. 

Kyungsoo doesn't quite understand it. But this certainly feels way better than being avoided, or looked down upon due to negative rumours.

Though finally, today in class, Seungwan and Seulgi came to his salvation with the answer. As they've come to his table to chat normally, he mustered enough courage to ask if they know anything about the reason people began behaving so weirdly towards him. 

"Ah! I've heard something about that too!" Seungwan said, her eyes widen almost unrealistically, as they always do when she gets thrilled about something. "People are saying that they'll get a blessing of good luck for life if they manage to make you smile at them." She explained, her expression back to normal, except now with a small added smile.

Good luck?! From Kyungsoo?! After so many years of being considered some sort of cursed bad omen?! Whoa, things have really turned upsidedown for him. Having a trail of good connotations after his name does feel good though, that's for sure. 
"Hahaha, that's really funny. But also, really cute!" Seulgi chuckled. "You gotta smile some more now!" She added brightly, and Kyungsoo nodded enthusiastically. He will smile, he will definitely smile. He wants to be useful and bring his fellow students luck if that's what it takes.

"Hey! Doshio!" A guy called for him from across a few table in the classroom. Kyungsoo and the pair of girls turned to look at him. "Why is peter pan always flying?" He asked with an anticipating smile, his friend beside him looked just as interested in Kyungsoo's reaction. Kyungksoo stared at them for a while. 
"Why...?" 
"Because he neverlands!" The guy answered, eagerly expecting to see what Kyungsoo's reaction to this joke will be. 

Oh, right! Now is his time to shine, this guy clearly wants to win the blessing. Which means Kyungsoo has to smile back at him. He took a breath lightly and curled his lips upwards a little, looking at the guy sitting at the other side of class and hoping that he'd see the smile and feel blessed. The reaction wasn't quite what he expected though. He assumed that just like it always was, due to his astigmatism, it looked like he was glaring creepily. Because the guy and his friend just froze in their spots as if hit by an ice storm. 
"Ahh~ I don't think that worked..." Seulgi hummed lightly. "Yeah... Both the joke, and the smile." Seungwan sighed lightly.

"Why do you keep making such an odd expression when you try to smile, I wonder." Jongdae chimed in, sliding in front of Kyungsoo into his seat with a smile. 
"Morning!" Baekhyun did the same beside him. "Good morning." Kyungsoo greeted them both calmly together with Seungwan and Seulgi. 
"Seems like you've become good friends with these two!" Jongdae smiled at them from his seat. Gesturing towards the pair of girls, who both smiled as a response.

Friends? Kyungsoo? With Seungwan and Seulgi? Are they considered his friends too? 
"Seems like it!" Seungwan chuckled lightly, and Seulgi nodded happily at Kyungsoo with a smile. He didn't even realize it... But he's willing to trust his friends' words, like they told him before. 

Ah... He's so happy right now. That was so smooth... Kyungsoo had seen Baekhyun, Jongdae, Seungwan and Seulgi chatting in class together in the past. He felt blessed himself for being able to be included on this little sparkly group as well. 
"Plus! Yerim kept telling us about how adorable you look when you smile. So we were quite curious ourselves." Seungwan added. "Yerim has great taste in people. So we knew we can trust her." Seulgi said as a matter of fact, as the five of them fell down into a pleasant calm conversation.

"You should really learn how to open up to people a little more, Kyungsoo. You're so stiff and formal all the time! How about you try to greet people in a friendlier manner?" Jongdae hummed out at him, getting Baekhyun interested enough to turn around in his chair and look at them. 
"Maybe instead of a boring 'good morning' you could say 'what's up' in the mornings." Jongdae continued, thinking for a bit and looking around the class curiously, before a smile sprung up his lips. 

"Ah~ It seems that the perfect subject to experiment on had just entered!" Jongdae pointed his finger towards the classroom's door, from which Chanyeol had just entered, chatting with Sehun right behind him.

"Come on, try it!" Baekhyun got excited from what Kyungsoo could only assume was imagining him greeting someone in that manner. But he tried to encourage him as well, and Kyungsoo appreciated the way they care for him even if feels like something that wouldn't really fit him. Right... Kyungsoo should at least give it a try. Even if it will feel strange, Chanyeol will definitely be understanding enough in case it goes wrong. Right? 

He repeated the phrase 'What's up' in his head a few times, but at the moment Chanyeol made eye contact with him and sat down after greeting all of his friends in the classroom, Kyungsoo had forgotten his very own name, almost.

"Good morning---...." He mumbled instead, only then realizing he had missed his chance when he saw Jongdae laugh defeatedly. "Maybe I pushed too hard..." He sighed. 
"There are so many other options though, so don't give up!" Baekhyun smiled at Kyungsoo instead. Ah... That made him pretty nervous. It's just a simple difference in gesture, but Kyungsoo really lacks the confidence to do so. Especially towards someone he holds as high as Chanyeol. Besides, at the moment Chanyeol is involved it feels like nothing else in the world exists at all, so it's not really only his fault.

"Morning, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol replied, with as much warmth as always, and a dimple at the side of his cheek. Kyungsoo will never get tired of hearing Chanyeol say his name.

Even though Chanyeol is always so kind to him, just like Baekhyun and Jongdae, always talks to everyone in the classroom and even outside of it, Kyungsoo can't bring himself to fully let loose. He isn't even sure he has anything to let loose of. Kyungsoo has never been the wild and open type like the four amazing people who befriended him. Talking to Chanyeol shouldn't be any different from anyone else, and yet... He can't talk to him as freely as with Baekhyun and Jongdae. He wondered why that is.

It's especially weird, because even before he was able to speak with Baekhyun and Jongdae at all, he was already opening up to Chanyeol, becoming happy from knowing that he could talk with him about anything without feeling any barriers. But it seems that the closer they become, the more difficult it is for Kyungsoo to face him directly. The exact opposite process from Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Sehun.

 

 

Classes have began, and discussions sprung up about the biggest school arranged activity of the year. The outdoors entertainment festival. 
Every year the festival takes place on the school's grounds, where the entire town is invited over to celebrate the success of the school's different branches of entertainment learning. This festival is considered pretty unique because the sophomores are the ones who are in charge to make it a success. For the seniors are during that time, already deep into studying for various exams and thinking about their own graduation.

Kyungsoo never got to see this festival taking place before, since Junmyeon was his only friend, but was already a sophomore when Kyungsoo hasn't even started highschool yet. And last year when he was already a junior in highschool, Junmyeon was a senior and too busy studying to be able to come and partake in it.

"So, we're going to need somebody in charge of our school's music performance at the upcoming festival." The teacher said towards the whole class, but Kyungsoo could easily see the way she eyed Chanyeol for the role, as if pleading for him to take it without saying a word, simply with her eyes. It was silent for several moments, most heads in class turned to look at Chanyeol's direction as well. It's like everybody already knows about the fact that Chanyeol has a musical talent, yet Kyungsoo had only recently learned it.

"Fine, fine I'll take it." Chanyeol raised his hands in the air defeatedly, waving an invisible white flag to surrender. Making the class laugh cheerfully before the teacher went on and gave the students their own time to decide on other different matters for the festival.

The students gathered in groups around different tables in the classroom, opening notebooks, discussing details, writing down lists and bringing up new ideas that could take place. The festival is usually very colorful, friendly, and welcoming for the general public. Kyungsoo heard a few students talk about how last year the chosen theme color for the decorations was orange. So this year they should choose something else.

He was really curious about the whole thing. Now that he's a sophomore, he will have to participate in the festival making. Which will be his first highschool festival experience as a whole. That's pretty exciting. Kyungsoo hoped he'll be able to be of good use and contribute to the hard work that goes into raising this event into existence.

"Hey, Kyungsoo, do you play any instruments? Or sing?" Chanyeol asked him as his attention drew away from the the other students gathered into little groups and having interesting preparation conversations. Kyungsoo shook his head. 
"No, not at all." But Chanyeol just chuckled in light disbelief. 
"Really? With your voice I was convinced you'd be into singing at least." He hummed calmly.

Kyungsoo felt his face heating lightly at the comment. His voice? Does it mean that Chanyeol likes his voice? Or maybe that he's simply disappointed that Kyungsoo will never dare to sing in front of other people? Or maybe this is a hint for Kyungsoo to begin practicing? Chanyeol is in charge of the musical performance for the festival after all... Will he be forced to go up there and perform? Kyungsoo's mind spiraled into an endless array of questions.

"Eh~ I'm also surprised." Baekhyun barged into the conversation. 
"You look like you could be a singer. And your voice is good! Jongdae and I sing a loooottttt together!" He grinned with pride. Honestly, it both surprised but also didn't surprise Kyungsoo at all to learn this new fact about these two. They are so colorful in their very core that it almost feels like something would be missing if they hadn't liked singing as well.

Truthfully, the only times Kyungsoo does sing are when he showers. Or when he's alone in his room and starts daydreaming. Just to provide himself some background music, of course. So he cannot think of it as anything more than just a secret little activity of joy for him to share with himself only. He would never be able to sing in public.

"You guys could help with the preparations!" Chanyeol smiled at the three. 
"Sehun and I, together with three other seniors will perform a few songs, like 'Run This' by Exo and a few others. I'm pretty excited, to be able to perform again." He admitted with an unexpected innocent smile of happiness that left Kyungsoo staring at him in silence. Watching how he writes down different things on his preparation sheet with this much glee.
Both Baekhyun and Jongdae seemed excited to receive roles in the production of the performances. Well, it sure is better than preparing banners for the sports teams or deciding on colors. 
"Baekhyun, you could help us prepare the stage effects, right? Jongdae, I trust you with the setlist. Kyungsoo... Hmm..." Chanyeol began spreading the roles to each of them. 

Baekhyun smiled and even saluted with a huff to accept his duty, Jongdae sent pcy a thumb up, and Kyungsoo sat there, waiting with anticipation to learn which role he'll be getting. Anything will do. He wants to help. And being a part of this team means he will have the possibility of helping Chanyeol directly. That'd be like a dream come true. He will finally be of actual use.

"Could you... Help us with the food and water, in practices... And during the performance?" Chanyeol asked gently, there's a little bit of insecurity in his voice. It must be because Chanyeol hasn't gotten to see Kyungsoo when he focuses on his job properly. 

Kyungsoo will have to prove his worth by being the most useful and amazing food and water carer that ever existed. 
"Yes! I'll do that." He quickly nodded with confidence, noticing how Chanyeol's weary smile turned into a pleased one. He's got this.

"Shouldn't we begin buying things ro prepare then? You think it's all on school's budget?" Baekhyun asked later, when the day has come to an end. "Well, the equipment will be... But if we get carried away buying useless things I'm pretty sure that'll be on us." Jongdae said halfheartedly, as he was busy tapping on his mobile phone for a few moments. Then he turned to Kyungsoo. 
"Wanna join us as well?" 
"Ah, no, its okay, I've got things to do." He would have accepted if they've asked that before the roles for the festival were given to any of them. But after he's got his role, Kyungsoo knew he had an important mission to complete. Expectations to stand up to, and needs to fulfill.

If he's in charge of food and drinks for the team working on the performances outside, he will have to learn how to make food types that wouldn't harm the throat of the singers, and also give the band enough energy during practices and the performance itself. According to Chanyeol the performance will contain a bunch of groups or individual people performing. Two girls even applied for a little comedy session. Kyungsoo will have to cater to all of them.

"But... Will it be okay to... Ask for help later on?" He asked a little worriedly a little while later, just to make sure they don't think he's declining them harshly in any way. 
"Of course! You can count on us!" Baekhyun grinned, raising his fist up in the air and pretending to flex his muscles. Jongdae chuckled lightly before smacking his arm down, which caused Baekhyun to act out as if his entire arm had lost its power. More laughter echoed from the two as they waved at him and left the classroom.

They are so adorable. Kyungsoo loves them so much. He knows how nice these two are. If he told them what he's planning they will insist on helping him from the very beginning, even though they have their own parts to fulfill and responsibilities to take care of. He wouldn't mind working on this together, but he needed to learn on his own, too. This is his role. His own assigned way to contribute.

 

 

Kyungsoo headed over to the computer located in the school's library. He did some research about which books contain recipes that fit what he needs for his very specific requirements. Clearly, none of them are present within the school's library's stock, so he went out to the town's library in order to borrow out healthy cooking books that'd fit. 

One face he didn't expect to see in the library appeared in his vision. Sitting on one of the floor leveled cushions at the reading corner at the center of the library's main hall, was Jongin. Kyungsoo was more than glad that he wasn't noticed. Jongin is such an impressive being to simply look at. Staring at him for too long would get everybody a little overwhelmed. For Kyungsoo's advantage, Jongin was so concentrated on the book being held in his hands, that even when Kyungsoo had to cross right in front of the sitting area, he wasn't spotted.

While picking out the books he wrote down on a note for himself to remember after the computer research, he kept wondering how is it even possible for someone to look like they're in the middle of a fashion magazine photoshoot while simply sitting and reading a book. But well, he had other duties to worry about a little more.

On his way back from the library, he saw the girl that comes to talk with Chanyeol right at the entrance to their class nearly every day. She was beautiful. Her eyes large and round, her makeup always on point and her hair styled in ways that make it look fluffy and smooth. She could totally pass as an idol celebrity if she tried.

Distracted by his thoughts about how impressive she looks, and Sehun's reaction to her middle school profile picture, he suddenly realized his foot had bumped into a curve on the pavement. But before he could bring himself back to balance, he ended up falling and dropping the books on the ground accidentally. Almost like fluid, they spilled out of the bag the librarian had given him to carry them all. 

He was embarrassed, to say the least, for having something this clumsy happen to him out in public, but he gulped it in and kneeled down to pick them up carefully. However, another hand suddenly came in his field of view. A soft looking hand with bright red nailpolish giving it a delicate appearance. That hand gave him one of the books that flew further away when he fell. When looking up to find whose hand it was, he saw the girl smiling at him gently.

"Thank you!" Kyungsoo bowed politely when they stood up again, and she chuckled gently at his over emphasized gratitude. 
"I hope you find the recipe you're looking for." She said calmly, her voice light and sweet like honey. She then nodded at him politely before waving goodbye and leaving. 

Whoa, she was so thoughtful and observant to notice that the books were all cook books. Is everybody Chanyeol surrounds himself with this incredible? Kyungsoo felt like he had just been blessed by some heavenly being that just happened to be there and help him. What a wonderful lady, he'd expect it probably onl from Chanyeol's friends.

During the weekend, he studied into the books, and collected a whole new book's length of recipe papers he could use to provide the festival performing groups and production crew with the best, most delicious, healthiest meals that'd keep their bodies balanced for their task.

Then, back at school, the sophomores were hopping between normal lessons and festival related free time given to them in order to prepare for it further. Kyungsoo didn't know what to expect from their schedule of activities, so even though there was a possibility of nothing happeneing, he brought a large box filled with special salty cupcakes he made just in case. Luckily, they came into use exactly as intended.

Kyungsoo spent the day helping Baekhyun and Jongdae with the stage building. As he tagged along and handed every single one of the students working a cupcake and a bottle of water, he realized just how much planning building a stage like this requires. They had to work with exact measurements of surface sizes, making sure there's enough space for the cords to run through, enough safety measurements to ensure everyone's well being. He was awed, to say the least, from how incredibly well Baekhyun and Jongdae worked together as heads of the whole process.

The next day he did the same, the after that, and another one too, until at some point after a lesson they've had in class like actual students, he noticed Chanyeol staring at him with a little pout. His arms were crossed too.

"What is this, I keep hearing that you bring food and water to the people building the stage, but you haven't showed up to a single practice of our band... We're hungry and thirsty too, you know." He complained in a childish tone. Kyungsoo could only look at him in surprise. Has... Has he disappointed Chanyeol by not being aware of the fact that he needed to come to the practices as well? Did he mess up already? He felt his heart starting to sink.

"Hey, hey, Kyungsoo, I was just joking, don't look too shocked." Chanyeol quickly waved his hands in the air, looking a little nervous while retracting back his words. "You've done an amazing job out there." He spoke again, easing down the stress that built in Kyungsoo's chest to reassure him. 

"I was just..." Chanyeol averted his eyes and smiled apologetically. "I was just teasing you, because I wanted you to come to our band practice as well. Even without the food and water... Just, come and watch for a while?" He looked unexpectedly shy while speaking, and Kyungsoo noticed a bit of a pink shade creeping over his adorable ears. He was quite distracted in appreciating Chanyeol's ears, that only after Chanyeol had already left the classroom to head to practice, he realized he just got individually invited to watch them play regardless of his job as a crew member.

He spent the entire evening at home cooking and humming to himself from the excitement, shyness, and happiness that engulfed him as a result. Making nearly double the amount of food. Tomorrow, he will defintiely fulfill his duty, and take care of the performers too. 

 

 

The next day, he got to watch the first band practice in his life. Each one of the band members greeted him happily as he entered, all of them even knew his name. At first it was a weird chaos of noises. Kyungsoo was sitting in a chair beside the band, who were all standing in a formation that'll be the same as the stage.

Each one of them individually tuned their instrument and stretched to prepare for the actual playing. So with everything being out of coordination, he was very curious to see how things will sound as a whole.

He was definitely not disappointed though, when they finally began their actual practice with what their main singer said was a 'jamming session' to warm up. Which means none of them really know what they're going to play at all. But almost like some sort of magical harmony, one by one, they started layering their playing over each other, creating a unique jazzy tune to which the singer could join in to.

Kyungsoo sat there in absolute awe. Music really does bring people together. Slowly but steadily, everything fell into connected rhythm and beat, the mood kept ascending together with the amount of hype the melody included, until it reached a peak in which they all began grinning and sweating from the effort. It was beautiful. It was so grogeous, so raw, to see how humans are able to connect so deeply through sound.

The practice lasted for hours, in which they had a few breaks to drink Kyungsoo's water, and Kyungsoo's prepared food. He was sure he'd be helping Chanyeol out by bringing all of this over, but in the end Chanyeol was the one helping him distribute the food to everyone. 

He got to learn a lot about how even more incredible Sehun and Chanyeol are. The seniors in the band too, are very cool and kind hearted people. They kept teasing the two of them a lot in an affectionate manner. And their lead singer is really a sweetheart, she even talked with Kyungsoo during one of the breaks and told him how he's welcome to come to her in case he ever needs anything from a senior. Other than being a wonderful person, she really knew what she was doing in the band. Her voice fit perfectly with their sound.

Kyungsoo was so happy. He was exposed to yet another side of Chanyeol that he hasn't seen before. He got to see him rock on with the music, be happy, hyper, express all of his joy and energy, sweat, laugh, and simply enjoy himself to the max. Chanyeol was so happy, and it resonated deep in Kyungsoo's heart as well. He felt so lucky for being able to see Chanyeol like this... Free, and wild, and him. Even when he tried he couldn't take his eyes off of the enlightening sight.

And so his days continue. Every evening is filled with cooking, luckily the ingredients are all a part of the funding, so none of it came out of Kyungsoo's personal pocket, and the mornings are filled with giving away everything he had worked to cook. His recipes vary from healthy salted cupcakes, to little wrapped sushi rolls, to small boxes of salads, or pasta, or even just fresh sandwiches. Kyungsoo, together with his pile of water bottles, have managed to feed the entire stage crew and performing crew every day.

At the beginning he would have stayed and helped the stage crew a little more, but after finding the magic that lies within the band practice room, he spent his time there instead. Blessing his ears and eyes with everything there was to absorb.

Normally he would be the first one to leave the practice room once the sessions are over, since the others had to continue packing up their instruments properly. But somehow, in the last few practices, he ended up staying until the very end. He just got so immersed, and without fail, Chanyeol and him would walk home together afterwards too. Which was a big bonus.

At one point after everybody had left the practice room after a session, only Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were left in the room. Chanyeol was adjusting a few things in his drum set while Kyungsoo was cleaning up the remaining wrappers of the food he had brought for everyone to share.

"Psst~ Kyungsoo." Chanyeol whispered in his direction at one point. Not that it was needed, since they were the only ones there, but he turned and looked at Chanyeol questioningly anyway. 
"Come here." He signaled for him to approach with his finger and a smile. Kyungsoo obliged and came to stand in front of Chanyeol. 
"Try this." Chanyeol smiled and gestured towards his seat in front of the drum set. Huh? Is Chanyeol seriously inviting him to play on his drums? Kyungsoo has absolutely no idea how to play them.

"A-Are you sure? I cannot really play anything." He admitted and looked around at the instruments sitting and waiting in their stands. 
"Come on! Just give it a try. You look so happy when we play, it'd be fun!" He grinned down at him, and grabbed over his shoulders gently to lead him to the seat. Surprisingly, none of the drums were too high for his reach. Maybe that's why Chanyeol began adjusting them all of a sudden. Just for the sake of letting Kyungsoo try them out for himself.

It started a little awkwardly, but as embarrassed as Kyungsoo felt, Chanyeol kept laughing and smiling so much, dazzling him with happiness radiating out of his beautiful energy. After an amusing session on the drums, Chanyeol explained how he actually knows how to perfectly play every single one of the instruments in the room, then gave Kyungsoo a sample of each by rocking out an unexpectedly skillful tune on his own.

Not only that, but he even let Kyungsoo attempt to play on them as well. It became like a habbit of theirs, every time a practice had ended, the two of them would remain in the room just to spend some more time together. Chanyeol would okay whatever came to his mind, and Kyungsoo would be blessed by being there and seeing it right in front of his eyes. Hearing Chanyeol's precise skillset of talents and abilities on each of the different instruments. What more would be be able to pull out of his sleeve as an ace card to become even greater in Kyungsoo's eyes? He keeps surprising him every single day.

Spending time together like this on their own, having fun, laughing and enjoying each other's company with no interruptions, made Kyungsoo remember the summer they shared together thanks to their duty to school, and then the movies they went to watch together. He was so free with Chanyeol back then, and now, he's able to return to the same feeling of happiness. He's very glad, because it felt like it'll be hard to break down the barrier that began building between them ever since the school year began.

Chanyeol told Kyungsoo about the acoustic guitar he had at home, and how much he loves practicing on it when he's got the time. And Kyungsoo was grateful to Chanyeol for giving him the opportunity to experience such new horizons he'd never dreamed of.

After one especially fun after-practice time with Chanyeol, the two of them put everything back in order and locked the room, then began making their way home together. Talking cheerfully to one another about the taste in music that they have discovered they share. But out of the corner of Kyungsoo's eye, he was able to spot a familiar face looking at them from one of the windows. 

A more focused look in that direction revealed it was the girl, the one beautiful girl that helped Kyungsoo with his books, the one girl that keeps coming and talking to Chanyeol at the entrance of their classroom, the one who appeared in their middle school year book. Once he recognized it was her, Kyungsoo turned to look up at Chanyeol, and direct his attention to her as well. Maybe she needed something to fo with him.

But by the time Kyungsoo had pointed to where he spotted her, she was already gone. 
"Are you sure you didn't just see a ghost?" Chanyeol playfully. Kyungsoo rubbed his cheek in confusion. Could it really have just been his imagination? He's never had such vivid hallucinations before if that's the case. 
"I don't think I can really see ghosts..." He admitted, deep in thought. Chanyeol's wide laughter threw him back out of the serious thought process. 
"I know, I'm just joking. You're more of a blessing than a curse." He said in a calm tone, his eyes warm and affectionate, looking right into his. Kyungsoo couldn't do anything but quickly avert his eyes and smile to himself uncontrollably.

The smile hasn't left his face even until he had already finished cooking and preparing the next batch of food rations for the next day. Normally, Kyungsoo would barely be found smiling at anything or anyone at all. He's never really been an expressive type when it comes to communicate with others, because he'd be too shy before being able to share any emotion.

But now... Whenever Chanyeol's around, it's harder for him to hold back from smiling, instead. Chanyeol just lights up his heart and hopes, and he couldn't be be any more grateful about it.

Through his time working between handing out food, he really did his best to makre sure every hardworking student got what they were supposed to get. He was very surprised when other classmates or grademates that work on the whole event kept praising him for his hard work and how he manages to take care of everybody's needs so well. He was very happy from the praises. Even if the truth is that he was able to gather the courage to do any of it thanks to Chanyeol and the fact that he assigned that role for him.

 

 

The festival is approaching quickly, and there are only a few formal preparations need to be done for the stage and performances. Such as prepare the back of the stage, take care of the many cables and cords, make everything safe, and other various things. That day everyone had to help out in a lot of physical labor to move stage parts, heavy equipment, chairs and such out in the heat of the sun. 

Somehow, Kyungsoo managed to finish his part early, and after changing back to his normal uniform, headed back to class. It was completely empty, everyone's bags were still there too. So he felt a sense of relief and responsibility to keep everybody's properties under watch. Right as he was about to shut the classroom's door, someone came and stood beside him.

It was none other than the beautiful girl he had seen before. The one that speaks with Chanyeol a lot, the one that helped him with the books when he fell down, the one that went to middle school with Baekhyun Sehun and Chanyeol. She's so gorgeous... Like a pretty doll that came to life. He isn't sure, but if he remembers correctly from the vague conversation she appeared in, her name is Sohda.

She looked at the empty classrom for a little while, then turned to look at Kyungsoo with a curious friendly smile. 
"Excuse me, do you happen to know where Chanyeol is?" She asked, her voice soft and pretty just as she looks. Kyungsoo felt a little overwhelmed to be spoken to by her when she's this close, almost like he felt towards Chanyeol in the past. 

"Uhm... Sorry, I think everyone are still out there working for the festival..." Kyungsoo replied. Sohda hummed understandingly and crossed her arms, resting a finger on her chin as she began thinking. 
"What should I do..." She asked out to the air, but this clearly isn't an answer for him to give. Kyungsoo was just surprised by how such an amazing person is willing to speak with him so casually. She really does give off the same heavenly feeling that Chanyeol does.

As they continue standing there quietly, Kyungsoo suddenly felt the need to continue with the conversation anyway. Maybe it's because its so easy for him to compare the two of them. 
"I don't think you'd remember... But you helped me pick up the books I've dropped before. Thank you again for that." He bowed his head towards her politely, causing her to chuckle lightly and shoot him a slightly embarrassed smile. 
"There's really no need for that, anyone would have done the same. No need to thank me so formally for something so minor." She dismissed her own actions humbly.

As expected of Chanyeol's acquaintances, she's overflowing with kindness. So sweet. It got quiet between them again, they just kept looking at each other. The more ksoo looked at her, the more he realized he can't find any flaws at all. Seriously like a doll. 

"You remind me of a doll!" Sohda suddenly said with a brighter smile. Did... Did she read Kyungsoo's mind? Or maybe Kyungsoo himself said it without realizing? 
"I'm sorry, I must have said it out lou---" 
"No, I'm the one who said it." Sohda smiled at his confusion warmly. "You're Do Kyungsoo, right?" Whoa... She knows his name? But more importantly--- Did she just call Kyungsoo a doll?!

"I barely get to see you around school, but when I helped you pick up the books, I remember thinking that you looked like one of those beautiful porceline dolls with the pretty lips and big eyes." Sohda then continued with an even softer and more genuine smile. Kyungsoo couldn't handle this much kindness from a person, especially not when that person looks like the embodiment of perfection. How can she even say such things to him when she looks like it herself? Kyungsoo felt like his brain just got fried. 

Before he could say anything in reply after the groundbreaking shock of receiving such a strong compliment from the human representing perfection, a group of girls arrived at the hallway behind them. 
"Sohda! Come on let's go, we have to get back to the teacher!" One of the girls' voices called from behind Kyungsoo, and just like that, Sohda nodded him a farewell and hurried over to her friends.

Kyungsoo sat in class and waited for his fellow classmates to arrive after, his mind kept repeating Sohda's overpowered compliment at him over and over again. He didn't even realize anybody returned until Baekhyun and Jongdae flopped in their seats in front of him and called out his name suspiciously.

"What is it kyungsoo? Anything happened?" Baekhyun asked and began sipping on his water bottle. "You look like you're daydreaming." Jongdae added and placed his elbow on the end of Kyungsoo's table while resting his head against his palm.

"I got complimented..." He mumbled, still in a bit of a daze, before falling right back into reality with both of his friends gasping in excitement and leaning in closer to him to examine his slowly reddening face. 
"What was it?" They asked in unison, their voices melodic in a teasing way. 
"T-That I look like a doll..." Kyungsoo managed to say while fiddling with his fingers and avoiding making eye contact with either of them. 

Luckily, it seemed that after hearing his answer they didn't have as much of an extreme reaction as he had expected. They glanced at each other in surprise and then smiled warmly at him, in a calming reassuring way. 
"Ahh~ Is that so?" Jongdae hummed brightly. 
"Well, they weren't wrong!" Baekhyun added with a grin. Kyungsoo was eventually able to calm back down and smile at their answer.

Then Chanyeol stepped into the classroom, grabbing Kyungoo's attention immediately as he walked with a bunch more of his friends until settling in his seat. 
"So? How's the stage preparation going on the technical level, Baekhyun?" He asked, and the two of them began chatting. Kyungsoo didn't pay much attention to what they were saying, as he was too busy putting his attention into admiring the way Chanyeol looks with his uniform's upper button opened, and his hair fluffed up after the hard work outside in the sun.

"Without Kyungsoo, we wouldn't have survived through the day!" Baekhyun's voice brought him back to reality, he didn't really hear the entire sentence, but from the way Chanyeol turned to smile at him with so much warmth he knew it was something about him, and defintiely something good. 
"You've done well!" Chanyeol praised him cheerfully. 

Kyungsoo would have let his soul float out of his body, if it wasn't for the fact that he remembered the reason Sohda got to speak with him at all today. It must have been important, because she was willing to talk with him. Even when the situation is dire most people wouldn't dare to approach Kyungsoo.

"Before everyone arrived to class, Sohda was here to speak with you, Chanyeol." He explained, back in a neutral state of mind again. Ah, maybe this wasn't the right thing to say. He just got praised after all, he should have at least thanked Chanyeol. 
"Oh, thanks for letting me know. It was probably something about the festival's preparations." Chanyeol said while stretching his long arms upwards and scrunching his face. Ah, he's so cute. But now the moment of high spirits from praising is gone. He'll take better use of it if it happens again in the future. Though, it seems that Sohda is also a part of the festival organizing team, like Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo is still having a hard time trying to grasp just how Chanyeol and everything about him is. There isnt a number large enough to be able to list all of his good attributes, and how much positivity he spreads to every person that comes in touch with his existence in one way or another. Even though the two of them have gotten to spend more time together thanks to the preparations, without the musical practices happening anymore, rather than feeling closer, Kyungsoo felt even more nervous to be around pcy, again. Like an even larger wall has been raised between them. And he can't explain that sort of feeling.

In the past he would have only dreamed about being able to do any of what he now considers to be the norm with Chanyeol, he truly admires him and everything about him. But recently it feels like something is slightly changing. Like something had shifted ever so slightly to the side, and now there's another light flow of a new kind of emotion going through Kyungsoo whenever Chanyeol even so as crosses his mind.

The preparations continue on their way, now that everything physical has been settled properly on the school grounds, most of the work that's left involves paper work, decorations, and general assistance in the more official aspect of the planning. So Kyungsoo isn't needed around as much as he was before. He sometimes helped Baekhyun install some lightbulbs on the stage, he still came to deliver food and drinks to the band practices when he had the time, and now he was busy doing some paper deliveries for Jongdae.

While walking through the halls, Kyungsoo's mind just like an automatic pilot, came back to the point of default. Which is, of course, thinking about Chanyeol. The subject to think about Chanyeol today is, his ears. His large adorable ears. He could have thought about them for eternity if it wasn't for the sudden mention of Chanyeol's name by one of the students in the hall.

"Isn't this Chanyeol?" The female student said. 
"Ah, he seems to be talking with Sohda again." The guy standing beside her replied. 
"Don't sound so disappointed. Did you really think you had a chance? There's no way any of us could approach those two. Aren't they the perfect couple?" She spoke again. 
"Now that you say it like this... They do look pretty good together." 
Kyungsoo listened in to their exchange, and after changing his standing angle, actually had clear sight of Chanyeol and Sohda standing and chatting with each other by the stairs.

He has to admit, the two of them are almost blinding. Sohda is short and adorable like a real life doll, and Chanyeol is tall and handsome, as if he came straight out of a love comic. Not only do they look like godly beings amongst this earth of mortals, they genuinely are such kind and incredible people at heart, nobody could even try and compare. Kyungsoo wasn't sure if he wishes to be Chanyeol, or Sohda in that situation.

 

 

Maybe... Maybe he will be able to become a little more like them. 
"I wonder if I should get a new hairstyle... Maybe a perm, or a new color..." Kyungsoo thought out loud one day during lunch break. Sohda's dyed hair is so smooth and soft looking. If he put some effort into his own, he could enjoy it better, perhaps? 

Both Baekhyun and Jongdae looked at him surprised. 
"You want to get a perm? Dye your hair? What style are you thinking about?" Jongdae asked curiously before munching on another bite of his food. 
"Something... Fluffy..." Kyungsoo mumbled lightly, looking at his own food, but in his mind all he saw were Chanyeol's puppy-like styled hair and Sohda's soft styled curls. 

"Have you had this style of hair your whole life?" Baekhyun asked, refering to Kyungsoo's smooth bangs. 
"It was a little shorter up until I became a highschool junior, I think." Kyungsoo gently ran a finger through his bangs. 

"There are lots of things you can do! But you should really decide what you want before going to the stylist otherwise you might regret it." Jongdae said reassuringly. And Baekhyun eyed him with a grin from the side. 
"Why does it sound like you're talking from experience?" He teased, and Jongdae froze in his spot as if he just got caught in the middle of a crime. 
"W-Well, one time I didn't know what I wanted... And the stylist gave me old woman's bangs.... I had to wear a hat for a whole month straight." He admitted with a pout before rubbing his head.

Even right now, Baekhyun and Jongdae look well styled. These two really do put effort into themselves. Just like Chanyeol. Baekhyun's hair is light brown with smooth even lighter bangs that look like an anime character. Jongdae's hair is shorter yet properly fitting for his head and face. And Chanyeol... Chanyeol's hair is permed lightly, and also dyed in a dark brown. Honestly, he looks like a puppy most of the time. Especially when his ears peek out from between all the hairlocks. It's adorable.

It's not that Kyungsoo never takes care of his own appearance, he just never became very experimental when it came to hair. His hygiene is top notch, he loves keeping things clean and simple. So his skin is smooth and healthy, and his hair remains soft like silk without styling it at all. 
"Either way, you gotta decide your goal before you go and get it." Jongdae concluded after being teased by Baekhyun for the past minute. 

Another school day has come to an end.
Kyungsoo couldn't help but wonder. Maybe if he would have taken his hairstyle and appearance more seriously, Chanyeol would be openly chatting with him in the hallways like he does with Sohda. Maybe if he tried harder, when he talks with Chanyeol other people will find them as blinding as he finds Chanyeol and Sohda to be. He knew he would never be able to compete with someone as amazing as Sohda, but maybe....

"Kyungsoo!" A voice he can already recognize by now called his name behind him. He turned around calmly, nodding politely towards Yerim and another friend of hers as they made their way to him. It was her tall friend, she has a very mature body figure, like a supermodel. She's very pretty too, even though she's busy doing something on her phone and her face is distracted to be kept in tact.

"Yerim, hello." He smiled lightly, and she grinned up at him, her arm locked in her friend's as they began walking at the same pace at him. 
"I've heard soooo many people talking about you lately! Right, Sooyeong?" She turned to her friend, who placed her phone in her bag and waved at Kyungsoo lightly. 
"Yup, nice to meet you Kyungsoo, I'm Sooyeong." She introduced herself in a friendly manner. 

"Everyone are saying how you were like a savior to them when they worked on the outer stage of the festival. Did you really put so much effort into making food and bringing water for them all every day?" Yerim asked with curiousity. 
"I wouldn't call myself a savior... But...Yes, I prepared enough for all of the teams when we worked." He nodded. 

"Awww, he really is as sweet as Sohda said!" Sooyeong squeeled lightly. 
"What do you mean Sohda... She said completely different things... I was the one who told you about him!" Yerim pouted up at her friend, who instead of answering pouted back and tightened the hold of their arms together. It seemed to Kyungsoo that their friendship is also strong in its own way. Seeing friends this closely together, ever since Baekhyun and Jongdae, makes his heart feel warm and cosy.

"Anyway, we're heading out to the shopping district. See you around!" Yerim smiled back at Kyungsoo before Sooyeong and her took a turn in one of the streets, talking cheerfully between themselves. Ah... They are so nice. And cute. Yerim, Sooyeong, Seungwan, Seulgi... The four of them somehow help Kyungsoo keep his spirits up and remain encouraged with anything he does. He's very thankful to their constant kindness.

Shortly after parting ways with the two of them however, Kyungsoo noticed Chanyeol talking with a few people behind him in the path. So instead of barging by, Kyungsoo decided to step aside and stand against the wall in the shade. He'll just be looking at them quietly until they'll be done. 

Chanyeol is so popular... People always know him, always talk to him. He makes it look so easy to whoever sees him do it, but Kyungsoo already learned just how difficult it is to have a proper conversation with anyone at all. Chanyeol looked like he's really enjoying it, too.

"What, really? You're one of the festival's organisers?" One of the guys asked. 
"Yup... Always getting involved in these things somehow." Chanyeol laughed. 
"Anybody else from middle school's in the organizing team?" Another guy asked, they must be from a different highschool, since their uniform colors are different. 
"Yeah, Dahee is there." He replied with a smile. 

The guys all responded with silly noises of excitement and even a whistle. 
"Oh boy, you're really going for it now, huh?" One of the guys said and smacked Chanyeol's back. 
"I'm really not..." He laughed awkwardly, as the bunch continued talking. But they were already out of Kyungsoo's hearing range, since he began sinking in thoughts.

Why... Does chanyeol call her Dahee? The only one in the organisers group for the festival who's been with Chanyeol in middle school is Sohda. 
Maybe they really do have a deep connection. Ah... So that's how it is. People who know Chanyeol from middle school all think that he's doing this in order to get closer with Sohda? Or maybe they think that the two of them were into each other ever since then? Maybe that's the case... 

Kyungsoo barely sees Chanyeol speak this easily and comfortably with other girls, actually. He's the only one calling her differently, too. But Kyungsoo also knows that Chanyeol didn't actively choose to become a part of the organizing team for the festival either, he was assigned by the teacher.

Is it fair for him to think of all of these possibilities on his own? Kyungsoo had already learned the hard way that it's always better to ask someone what they feel and think before deciding anything for them. He never asked Chanyeol before, whether or not has a partner like Jongdae does. He wondered what makes Sohda so special that Chanyeol has a special way to call her, and that he's able to freely communicate with her like that.

Kyungsoo's train of thoughts was sharply interrupted when a chilly looking bottle of juice was placed right in his field of vision. 

He jumped lightly, and realized it was Chanyeol standing beside him in the shade and smiling, offering him a bottle of juice while holding his own in his other hand. 
"Hey, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol said, and Kyungsoo realised his heart began beating quickly in his chest. This is... A completely different feeling from what he was used to feeling towards Chanyeol. This time, instead of being filled with warmth and admiration, his chest almost hurts.

He stared up at Chanyeol in silence for a long time without responding. Long enough for Chanyeol's expression to shift from a smile, into curiousity, into averting his eyes sideways with nervousness, and into turning them back to Kyungsoo, all in silence. The bottle was still held towards Kyungsoo, too.

Kyungsoo was so surprised by the way his own heart and mind are behaving at this moment, that he wasn't sure what kind of expression is appearing on his face, to cause Chanyeol to have this many struggling on deciding how to talk to him. What is he feeling? What's making the center of his body feel so heavy?

"I... Not to scare you, Kyungsoo... But I think I---" Chanyeol began saying, his voice very quiet. Unlike his usual expressive volume. Almost like he was struggling to put the words out of his mouth. A feeling Kyungsoo could relate to. But due to the state of his own mind, Kyungsoo was focused on his lips, reading them to make sure he doesn't misunderstand what he's being told. Somehow, the situation suddenly felt very intense. 

He never saw Chanyeol having this much trouble speaking before. His voice was weak and emotional, his eyes were pointing down with what looked like shyness, and his ears peeked bright red from between his hairlocks. This was important, Kyungsoo could tell.

"Kyungsoo... I---"
"Chanyeol! Kyungsoo!" A soft cheerful voice interrupted him from the street. It was Sohda, standing there and smiling at them gently. What just happened? Chanyeol was trying to say something to him, right? What was it...? It sounded like something that Kyungsoo wouldn't want to miss. But it was too late to find out now. Chanyeol had already turned to look at her, his body stiffened ever so slightly when he smiled in her direction while she stepped closer to them both.

"What are you two doing?" She chuckled at the bottle being held in Chanyeol's hand. 
"Nothing, really." Chanyeol replied, sounding like he got caught off guard. Oh, that's right, he got the juice for Kyungsoo. Even held it for him this whole time. Without saying anything, Kyungsoo dug his palm into his bag, and pulled out a few coins. Then, in a slow yet calm motion, he grabbed the bottle and placed the coind in Chanyeol's palm instead.

It was most likely just his mind playing tricks on him. Chanyeol probably didn't even say anything at all. Or maybe he only said something about the juice he got for Kyungsoo. He was just overthinking about the atmosphere of the unlikely exchange they had moments ago for no reason at all. What an eventful day. It felt like everyone were waiting for afterschool hours to somehow bump into Kyungsoo today. Could it be that he's just thinking about Chanyeol too much? He must have misinterpreted the emotions behind his previous state.

Kyungsoo asked himself in his mind, looking up at the way Chanyeol complained about the heat and rubbed the sides of his forehead lightly, drying out the sweat, as Sohda laughed. Huh? It's not hot at all right now, actually, the wind is pretty chilly, especially in the shade. Wait, how come Kyungsoo himself is sweating so much as well? It felt like his body just went through an extremely loaded experience.

Out of the blue, Sohda stepped closer to Kyungsoo and pulled out a small square of a tissue paper. Gently, she began dabbing the cloth over Kyungsoo's sides of the face. Her expression concentrated yet soft. Both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol could only stand there and stare in surprise, until she smiled and pulled the cloth away. 

"There you go. All cleaned up." She's... She's really too kind. Like an angel. Kyungsoo could absolutely understand why Chanyeol's middle school friends reacted the way they did. She really is way up there in the list of godly beings related to Chanyeol, so amazing. Even if somehow gave his heart a strange sting to imagine them closer.

"Oh, right, did you need anything earlier?" Chanyeol asked her after thanking Kyungsoo for the payment of the juice bottle. 
"Mmh, not really. I just saw the two of you standing here without moving... I thought it was a paused movie frame!" She laughed lightly. "Just came to check on Kyungsoo." She then said softly and smiled at Kyungsoo. 

"We got to know each other after all." She added, grinning at Kyungsoo as if asking for his approval, or confirmation. He couldn't do much but nod lightly.

"Anyway," She began saying, before bowing lightly at the two of them. "I'm almost late to meeting up with my friends. See you!" Sohda cheered with her sweet voice and happily waved in their direction before disappearing beind one of the curves.

She's fantastic. It seemed that Kyungsoo had found another person to look up to at school. Another one added to the list of people that are too good to be real, and too good to be spending their time and effort on someone like him. So far, the list only contained Chanyeol, but Sohda is starting to come up as a close second. She cared so much about him that she even cleaned away his sweat. That was one of the sweetest things anyone has ever done for Kyungsoo.

Oh, this highschool year of his is definitely way more exciting than the last. He wished Junmyeon would have been around though, an advice from an old friend could really come in handy. Maybe even help with identifying his new strange emotions.