Chapter 15

Doshio

 

It's a little over a week into January, and Kyungsoo was only subtly aware of the fact that his birthday is coming up soon. It has never really been a big deal when it comes to birthdays. Normally, the most he would have gotten through the years is a simple birthday greeting from Junmyeon at school. 

He used to always ask to tip in when it comes to his classmates' birthdays in middle school, but he got rejected so many times, being Doshio and all, that by the time highschool began he knew better, and decided he wouldn't bother his classmates with it anymore. That's why he had no idea when Chanyeol's birthday occured. He was lucky he found out on time.

For Kyungsoo, the small happy family birthdays are more than enough. Sitting with his parents to a pleasant meal and receiving their gifts has always been a happy event. For his birthday, or theirs, it was the default best way to celebrate. So, vaguely, he knows his birthday is coming, but it's easier to ignore and allow himself to be happily surprised when his parents do their thing for him.

That's what he wanted to do, but a day before his birthday, that will be happening on friday this year, he couldn't help but be a little restless. Mostly because after seeing the way Chanyeol's birthday has been celebrated by everybody possible, anywhere possible. He cared more about the fact that the two of them will be sharing the same age again rather than the meaning of the birthday itself.

He's kind of lucky that he was born so close to Chanyeol's birthday. That way the two of them have a very small gap between them, even though it's a whole different year, there's barely a month and a half between them. Somehow it gives him reassurance that this year's birthday will be wonderful, no matter what happens.

"You seem so fidgety today Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun pointed out as they all pack their bags and prepare to leave school. 
"Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I'm looking forward to the weekend. My parents are going to cook delicious food." He smiled gently. 
"Whaaa really? Invite me over~" Baekhyun replied, pouting out and wrapping around Kyungsoo's shoulders in a needy hug. 
"Guess I should be looking forward to the weekend as well." Jongdae hummed while thinking, then he turned to the two others with a smile. Sehun was walking behind them as well. 
"It's going to be Jongin's birthday on sunday. I already got him a gift and all that." Everybody seemed quite surprised. 

"I'm not sure how we'll do it with the fact that he's in the hospital and all that. But I'll update you guys if there are any plans." Jongdae smiled reassuringly. Whoa... That means Jongin's birthday is only two little days after himself? No wonder they were able to get along this well. He should probably prepare something for Jongin as well in case there'll be a chance for him to hand it over around the right time.

Kyungsoo had made it home, thought for a while about a proper gift for someone like Jongin, then decided what to do and spent the afternoon sewing an adorable bear shaped embroidment onto a knitted heat pack holder that can be tied around different body parts. It's the perfect gift for Jongin who's going through recovery right now. Hot packs are very useful, and being able to use them while they look cute is just a bonus for his handsome face. It will come in handy for many winters to come regardless of any recovery at all, too. Happily he sewed while the delicious food his parents were already cooking for tomorrow's birthday feast spread amazing scents throughout the house.

It took him quite a while to finish, and by the time he got to bed it was nearly midnight. So he lied in bed and read through the different group chats on his phone. Everyone are so funny when texting like this and not speaking. Although the messages are simply letters, he could tell exactly who is who by the way they type and the feel of their text.

For example, Minseok can type in a few different ways. He has his normal talk, which is pretty cute but in a tamed way, he has his serious talk where he types with very definitive dots at the end of his sentences, and... He has his happy cheerful talk. Which is, really, so, so cute. The way he inserts emoticons into the text... Kyungsoo can even see the facial expressions he's making sometimes in his mind through the text.

The same goes for Chanyeol. Actually, its even easier for Kyungsoo to imagine what faces Chanyeol is making behind his messages. Because he is such an expressive person, one can read exactly through his face and understand how he's feeling in an instant. But the problem with texting with Chanyeol is that he enjoys it too much, and gets easily overwhelmed when imagining the way Chanyeol's face shifts as he speaks, or even his voice... 

Kyungsoo loves it. He knew that Chanyeol had a shift at work, so he had to leave school quickly instead of hearing about Jongin's birthday. Maybe he should tell him about it? No, there's no way he needs to do that. Chanyeol definitely already knows.

All of a sudden, while lost in thoughts and debates, the phone in his palms vibrated, reawakening him from the near slumber state he had fallen into by thinking about Chanyeol. As he checked the notification it felt like fate really was testing him. Just as he thought about Chanyeol, he'd received a message from him too?

Curiously, he opened up the chat with him, and saw a message decorated with many emojis of confetti and stars. 

[ Happy Birthday Cutie Kyungsoo! ] 

Was the text, and after it, stood a red heart emoji too. He blinked surprised and checked the time... Exactly midnight. The phone nearly slipped from between his fingers and smacked him in the face from the shock. He completely forgot about his very own birthday while being so distracted thinking about Chanyeol. Secondly... Chanyeol really, just greeted him a happy birthday at the very second it began.

And third, and possibly most shocking of all, Chanyeol called him 'Cutie Kyungsoo' AND sent him a heart with it. If it wasn't Kyungsoo's phone nearly dropping and smacking his face, it would have been Kyungsoo himself dropping down to the core of the earth. 

Suddenly his bed felt very hot and the blanket an oven. His cheeks were definitely burning. He was so happy, and yet so lovingly shy, thankful and confused from the message and everything that it might or might not entail. Does the 'Kyungsie' contact name Chanyeol has given him on his phone have anything to do with the words Kyungsoo, and Cutie?

After staring at it for several moments to assess exactly what it could mean, he concluded he'd send back a regular 'Thank you'. It'd be too much for him to handle knowing, let alone asking, if there's anything behind him being called cute, or the heart. Though, Chanyeol had sent him a heart before... But never together with such a bold compliment. Sending a simple thank you, however, felt a little too dry, so he tapped on the screen again. 

[ How did you know? ]

[ 'Chanyeolie' is now typing... ] 
Appeared at the bottom of the screen immediately, and with every tap he imagined Chanyeol doing on his screen, his own heart was dancing. 

[ I remembered seeing Junmyeon greet you a Happy Birthday on the 12th last year! I'm so glad I was right ] 

The message popped, and Kyungsoo's heart nearly dropped yet again. This... This is more than he was prepared for, at all.

Wow. Chanyeol has been paying attention to Kyungsoo this closely to notice such a thing... It happened last year... That means he's been watching over Kyungsoo for long enough to remember the date all this time? This is too much for his heart to take.

Kyungsoo rolled over to the other side of the bed, staring at the conversation with shaking eyes, shaking hands, and speedy trembling heart. This felt like everything just went up side down. It was supposed to be Kyungsoo's role to send Chanyeol a heartwarming 'Happy Birthday' like this when it happened, but not only did he not have a phone... He hadn't even known what the date was until the very last moments. But now... Now the tables have turned and it's Chanyeol who's sending him such a thing instead? What did he do to become this lucky?

He couldn't send anything back for a while, and the typing bubble from Chanyeol's side showed on the screen again. 

[ Was I the first? ] 

Yes, of course he was the first. He's crazy. He sent the message on the second midnight hit the clock. Has he been waiting to send the message for a while before midnight actually came? Was he anticipating it for Kyungsoo's sake? Kyungsoo's heart felt like it was about to burst soon.

[ Yes, you are the first... ] 

[ I'm happy. I'll tell you properly tomorrow. ] 

Was Chanyeol's next message, and Kyungsoo could feel the heat from his reddening face burn into the pillow. His fingers were shaking so much that he decided against typing, and instead sent Chanyeol a red heart emoji before shutting his phone quickly and placing it aside, as if trying to get it out of his face before he'll be able to see anything more. 

He pulled the blanket over his head in embarrassment and like a cocoon, remained hidden for the night. He could hear the phone buzzing with a response on the shelf, but he will have to deal with it tomorrow. He simply couldn't take any more from just how much happiness was leaving trails of fire all through his body and to the very edges of the fingertips.

 

 

The next morning at school everything seemed to be normal. Everyone were behaving the same as always, nobody said anything about Kyungsoo's birthday at all. Not even Chanyeol, which, unexpectedly, made him feel very relieved. Instead of making a scene before school even began, they saved him the embarrassment.

Or so he thought, until break time came around, and his four classmates all turned to him at once while Chanyeol pulled something out of his bag. Surprised, Kyungsoo stared at the glances they were all exchanging, until suddenly a small cupcake with a single lit candle appeared in front of him in Chanyeol's palm. As if it was some sort of cue, they all began singing him Happy Birthday at the exact same time. Baekhyun and Jongdae were of course louder than the other two, but Kyungsoo felt his heart warming up from how touched he was. Even sehun was singing cheerfully.

"Come on! Blow the candle now!" Baekhyun urged him once the song and claps were over. Other classmates seem to have joined along, at least for the clapping part. And it made Kyungsoo feel shy, but happy. He nodded and shut his eyes. He already knew what to wish for. He always wishes for the same thing no matter what.

In his heart he recites the wish, which consists of nothing more than for these incredible people who constantly make him so happy, to be healthy and happy for as long as possible themselves. 

When he opened his eyes, they met with Chanyeol's accidentally. He only caught a glimpse, but the amount of fondness and affection oozing from his eyes was way too much for Kyungsoo to handle. So instead he just blew the candle off for more clapping to ensue.

He felt so lucky and thankful that he's able to celebrate his birthday like this for the first time within the school's vicinity. It'd always get tossed aside, forgotten or ignored in the past, which is completely understandable. But it still felt incredibly nice to experience what it's like to have his special day aknowledged by anybody other than himself and his parents.

"So, how do you usually celebrate your birtdhays?" Baekhyun asked, resting against the corner of Kyungsoo's table with a curiously expression. 
"Oh, normally it's just my parents and me having a nice dinner at home. It's very nice." Kyungsoo smiled through the explanation. 
"And?" Baekhyun persisted. 
"And...? What...?" Kyungsoo was a little puzzled. Was there supposed to be more than that? 
"That's it? That's all you do?" This time it was Baekhyun looking surprised. 
"Yes, it's wonderful. There's a cake and I blow candles there too." Kyungsoo nodded to confirm, and watched how everyone began exchanging glances between one another.

"Well then! I've got good news for you!" Jongdae clapped his palms together and held onto them. 
"This evening Jongin will be brought back home to continue his recovery there. So my parents and everyone here decided we'll throw him a party there." He explained, and Kyungsoo's eyes widened. 
"Whoa, I'm so happy! Jongin's been in the hospital for so long... It must be such a relief for him to get back home. I'm sure he'd enjoy the party." He grinned. It really would be wonderful. Especially if everyone will be there to cheer him up. He knew how well they work as a group to create the most fun possible. Jongin's definitely in good hands. 

"Would it be okay if you told me how it was when it's done? I've actually already gotten him a gift, so if I could give it to you beforehand... Maybe you could give it to him for me?" Kyungsoo spoke to Jongdae, thinking about a logical way for him to hand over Jongin's gift for Jongdae to pass it on for his sake. Oh, unless it'll be a problem. Jongdae must be busy preparing for it himself... He might have to find a different way to bring it to Jongin on time.

"What are you talking about? Why would you give it to me?" Jongdae asked with a raised eyebrow, confirming that Kyungsoo's worries must have been justified. He's right, it'd be way too selfish of him to throw this task on Jongdae, who will have his own things to take care of as well. 
"Give it to him at the party yourself, silly!" Jongdae laughed and patted Kyungsoo's shoulder lightly. Kyungsoo stared at him for a moment. 
"I-I'm also invited...?" 
"Of course you are! That party will be for Jongin AND for you! How could you even think otherwise." Jongdae snickered and continued explaining a bit more about the plan, while Kyungsoo's heart kept heating up even more. He was so happy that he'll be able to join everyone for this party. It's such a relief that Jongin's condition has gotten good enough to return home already.

After an exchange of texts between Jongin and him, the two of them decided that they wouldn't be accepting any individual gifts, that'd be too much of a hasstle for people to get within such a short notice.

And just like that, the birthday had arrived. Kyungsoo managed to celebrate privately with his parents on friday night, and then again with Jongin and everyone else on sunday evening. It's true that none of the boys brought either of them any gifts, but Jongdae and Jongin's parents gave them something anyway. Jongin received a pair of jeans, and Kyungsoo got a large comfortable looking sweater that he knew will serve him all through the end of winter and spring.

The party itself wasn't as chaotic as the Christmas party they've thrown only several weeks ago, but rather a calm one that consisted mostly of the delicious food and the simple easy board games that Jongin could also participate in. The night was finished by all of them sitting and watching a movie together before leaving in the snowy weather. Everything was so calm, warm, friendly, welcoming and filled with love. Kyungsoo wouldn't have changed that feeling for the world. He was seriously lucky that his friends are such kind people that made him feel like he really belongs and worth celebrating for. Up until this year, he hadn't realized birthdays can be this happy.

Chanyeol too, on their way back home together, made the experience slightly more memorable by over-dramatically pretending he was in an apocalyptic action movie, battling against a terrible snowstorm that fell upon the earth. He walked slowly, stomping through the snow on the ground, and covering his face with his arms, as if strong winds are pushing him backwards.

Kyungsoo laughed so hard, it was absolutely ridiculous, especially since the air was so gentle that the snowflakes remained fully in tact until their arrival to a surface of sorts.  Eventually Chanyeol had stopped his show, laughing and grinning at Kyungsoo with childish shyness of joy.

"Did you have fun today?" He then asked, huffing against his own palms to heat them up before rubbing them together and sliding them into his own coat's pockets. 
"Yeah. Jongin looked so happy... He must have missed home a lot." Kyungsoo nodded calmly, listening to the soft yet crunchy noise that comes along with every step they take. The snow was clear and airy, so the layer wasn't nearly as thick as Chanyeol pretended it was.

"Yeah, It was nice seeing him feeling this free again. But did YOU have fun today?" Chanyeol asked again, this time looking directly at Kyungsoo's eyes curiously. Oh... Has he answered wrong? Kyungsoo only then realized that he hadn't even said a word about how he himself felt about it in his answer. But well, Jongin's happiness was a big factor in the experience. Just like Kyungsoo found out before, Jongin's laughter would make anything better.

Kyungsoo thought for a little while, his eyes focused on the little giraffe peeking on the scarf under Chanyeol's coat. 
"I did. I had a lot of fun. Never celebrated my birthday with friends before, not since kindergarten, probably." He chuckled lightly. "This day will be treasured in my memories for a long time." Kyungsoo nodded in reassurance, before averting his eyes sideways and feeling his heart race a little faster. 
"I was really surprised when you messaged me that night..." Kyungsoo then admitted shyly.

Chanyeol chuckled himself and stepped to stand even closer by Kyungsoo's side. He could feel his body heat... His scent... He was so warm, so lively, right beside him. Kyungsoo would have been able to hug him if only he tried. 
"I actually set the date in my phone's calendar last year already... A reminder was supposed to pop up and let me know it's coming, but I remembered before it could sound the alarm, so I sat and waited for the exact second to pass. I won the race to your heart, so it was worth it." He explained, then grinned widely. Were his ears, cheeks and nose pink because of the snow? Or because of something else?

Kyungsoo stared up at him for a little while, before a loud thump hit inside his chest and he quickly turned to look away, feeling his entire face heat up with shyness and embarrassment. Won the race to his heart... Oh, if only Chanyeol knew that the race had already been won a long time ago. How can it be a race if there's only one competitor? 
"Y-Yeah... You were the first to congratulate me." He admitted, and gave Chanyeol another wary glance.

To his surprise, he saw that Chanyeol was looking down at the ground in front of them, smiling to himself with shiny eyes while his hand was holding lightly onto the edges of the red scarf Kyungsoo had made for him for his very own birthday. Seeing this made Kyungsoo regret not giving Chanyeol more gifts. Even if it's Kyungsoo's birthday, giving Chanyeol a gift was more of a gift for himself than anything else. Chanyeol looked so happy, so pleased and satisfied... Such a small gift could become this useful and valueable for him... Kyungsoo felt his heart melting inside his chest.

"We're closer now, right? Since we're sharing the same age again." Chanyeol asked, bringing Kyungsoo back to reality. "Ah, yes."
"Good. It feels good to be this close to someone." Chanyeol admitted softly, and it threw Kyungsoo to yet another round of questions and thoughts about his intentions and meanings. Close to someone by age? Does the number matter? Close to someone by heart? Or maybe just because they're walking closely together to keep the heat between them?

"I hope we'll get to celebrate many more birthdays together, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol's words repeated in his mind after they've parted ways. Kyungsoo hoped they'll get to celebrate many more birthdays together, too.

 

 

February was approaching quickly, and Kyungsoo could barely believe that the most wonderful year of his life is already at its ending arc. Before he'd be able to grasp anything, they'd already be preparing for yet another summer vacation, and then, senior year. Actually, maybe he's stressing about it too much because he just found out how to open and use his calendar application on the phone. And after examining the dates of the school year he realized so much of it had already passed.

He just had to check it out and learn what it was after hearing Chanyeol used it to keep track of the time passing until his birthday. 

"Oh! Kyungsoo, I see you've started using the calendar?" Chanyeol popped up behind him, his face hovering barely above Kyungsoo's shoulder, throwing him back to the time he simply rested his head on Kyungsoo out of sleepiness. He tried his absolute best to now show any signs of his heart nearly exploding in his chest. Kyungsoo didn't expect Chanyeol to show up like this while he's just standing near the toilets and fiddling with his phone.

"N-Not really, I only recently learned how to open it." He admitted and glanced over at Chanyeol, refusing to turn his head, otherwise their faces will be way too close and he didn't know how his body would react to that. 
"Hmmm... Seems like you still haven't really gotten the hang of using a phone yet." Chanyeol hummed, reaching his arm behind Kyungsoo's other shoulder as if to pull him under his arm on purpose. 

It was almost like Chanyeol was caging him in his arms from behind. But he just tapped something small on Kyungsoo's phone screen that made everything fall back in order. Kyungsoo wasn't sure if he was impressed, or if he should have been embarrassed from the fact that there's no way Chanyeol wassn't able to hear, or feel just how fast his heart was beating.

"Hey, I don't have work today. Wanna come over to my place? I could help you learn some more. Plus, I wanted to let you hear the piece I'm practicing for the studio's producer." Chanyeol suggested, an anticipating smile spread on his lips while his arm then properly pulled Kyungsoo gently by shoulders into a side hug. Kyungsoo's mind was losing its connectivity to reality as they spoke, so without even thinking he turned to look up at Chanyeol and nodded in agreement. 
"I would love to hear it." 

God. He was about to burst. Did he just agree to visit Chanyeol's house today after school on a whim? He's a fool. He should have declined, he should have given an excuse so he'd be able to at least dress up properly and prepare himself.

All through the rest of school Kyungsoo was in an internal state of panic, but since Chanyeol was right there in class, he couldn't even tell Baekhyun and Jongdae about the exciting news of him going to visit Chanyeol that afternoon. Ah... He really wished he could talk with them and ask for advice beforehand. Both of them have experience when it comes to... Well... Being around a person they love.

After school everybody hung out together on the way back, before splitting to their directions. Which left Chanyeol and Kyungsoo to walk through the usual path they cross every morning, and towards the corner where Chanyeol waited for him when they had to meet during the previous summer vacation. This would be the first time Kyungsoo would actually take the turn instead of continue along with the path. The turn that normally parts them at the end of each day, now leads them both to the rest of their trail.

Well, they live in the same block of houses, so it isn't that far away from Kyungsoo's place to begin with. And yet, somehow this is a spot he has never visited before. After passing through some quiet side streets with barely a single car in the distance, they stopped in front of a simple two story house, very similar in design to Kyungsoo's own. 
"We're here~ Let's go." Chanyeol smiled and headed to the door, pulling out his key and opening it quietly. As soon as the door opened, the view of the house's kitchen was revealed in front of them both.

In there, against the side wall of the kitchen, by the dining table, stood a woman. She wore a pink flowery apron around her hips... But it was definitely not what Kyungsoo would have expected to see a mother look like.

She was looking towards the door with a face filled with fear, anger, and confidence, a large sharp knife in one hand, while her phone opened and ready to call in the other. She looked scary, but more than that, she looked scared. 
"Mom! It's just us." Chanyeol quickly called out, lookin stressed himself as he hurriedly took his shoes off and rushed over to her with his arms carefully beside his body. "Oh, Chanyeolie." She blinked surprised and immediately put the phone and the knife away, wiping her slightly damp hands on her apron with a smile.

She smiled over Chanyeol's shoulder towards Kyungsoo who stood by the door still stunned, blank minded. 
"Come on in! I'm just done making lunch." She called cheerfully. Whatever fear, anger and stress that took over her before was all gone. Her movements were smooth and gentle, filled with motherly warmth. After Kyungsoo took off his shoes and shook her hand while bowing in the introduction, he started thinking that maybe his imagination had played a giant trick on him.

It seemed impossible that whatever he had seen when he entered was real. She was the most wonderful little mother he had seen welcoming him into a house. 
"Mom, this is Kyungsoo. My classmate, and good friend." 
And all thoughts about her were gone at the moment Chanyeol had introduced him that way. Is he... Chanyeol's good friend? That's the best rank he's ever thought he'd be getting from Chanyeol. Actually, from anybody in his whole life. And to think he's gotten to it after barely a year of knowing each other... His heart was dancing in content.

They sat together with Chanyeol's mother and ate a lovely delicious italian style lunch. Kyungsoo very gladly listened to her decribe the recipes and techniques to cook certain things in a certain way. He had already forgotten about whatever it was that his imagination pranked him with earlier. She was one of the most pleasant women he had ever met. And shortly later they were already up in Chanyeol's room with full bellies.

 

 

Sitting down on the soft carpet on the floor was comfortable, they both leaned their backs against the side of Chanyeol's bed, and Kyungsoo scanned the contents of the room with his eyes. The smell in the room was musky and warm, yet had a certain grace. It was adorable looking in a way. Very simple in its base, but filled with lots of childish things. So many plushies were resting on the bed, along with the little penguin from the arcade. There was a toy car on one of the shelves, and the guitar was restng in its stand against the wall. Chanyeol is so cute. And Kyungsoo hoped he was able to maintain a steady pulse rate although it was way higher than the usual already from the fact that he's located in Chanyeol's room beside him.

There were a few old pictures of Chanyeol on the walls. Pictures of him with his parents, with his older sister. There was also one nail hanging bare on the wall, where it looks like a photo should be hanging instead, but was taken off at some point and never replaced. When Kyungsoo turned to look at Chanyeol, he wanted to ask him about it, but instead he found him looking down at the floor sadly.

"Chanyeol...?" He asked quietly, and Chanyeol raised his head and smiled at Kyungsoo apologetically. 
"I probably owe you an explanation." He sighed lightly and ran a hand through his hair. Kyungsoo knew right away that he meant it regarding the extremely odd hostile stance his mother was holding when the door of their house had opened. Though it was still hard for him to believe it was real.

"Does the name Park Seungho ring a bell?" Chanyeol asked, and Kyungsoo thought for a moment. 
"I think... He was a famous musician in the past. I remember my mom used to like him. But then she stopped at some point." Kyungsoo recalled as much as he could. He was surprised he remembered this much. 
"Yeah... Seungho is my uncle." Kyungsoo blinked surprised at Chanyeol's reveal. But then... Why would Kyungsoo's mother stop liking him all of a sudden?

"He used to be such a big hit in the past. But today barely anybody knows his name. That's because shortly after his big break he... Fell into the temptations and began doing really bad things." Chanyeol continued. "Drugs, alcohol, dark businesses... He got himself messed up. Nearly died a few times too." He huffed and ran another hand through his hair. 
"I was still in elementary school when he moved in with us. My sister was just finishing highschool and preparing to move out for college. It was exciting to meet him, even though we knew of his bad involvements. We thought he was still a cool nice uncle."

Chanyeol nodded through his words, sounding like he's trying to convince himself more than anything else. 
"My parents always worked hard  for my sister and me. But they worked even harder every day to try and accomedate to his needs." Kyungsoo can tell that Chanyeol must have been deeply bothered by the scenario he's revealing. An uncle coming to live with them after being involved in such terrble things... Kyungsoo would have been too scared to accept that even now, let alone as a child.

"I was just a kid back then... I got so upset about it. I wanted things for myself too! You know? Toys, games, normal kids things. They are MY parents, so they should take care of what I need, not him, right? I deserve it because I'm a child and he's and adults, and adults can take care of themselves." He said in a pouty teasing voice, as if imitating his own past self. It made the slowly darkening atmosphere a little lighter, but it didn't last long, because Kyungsoo could already assume that things didn't quite go as child-Chanyeol wanted.

"Then I began middle school. Which meant that I spent a lot more time at home to study instead of playing outside... So I was exposed more often to my uncle. My... Drunken dangerous uncle." Chanyeol shut his lips together for a moment, and Kyungsoo could feel that there's a block of painful memories falling on top of his heart at this very moment. His expression turned serious. 
"I became... My uncle's source of relief. I guess is the way to call it. Whenever he was angry he'd call me just to kick me around, tease me, and pull really painfully on my hair..." Chanyeol sighed with a troubled expression. 

"I hated it. I came to hate him, too. But more than that, I hated feeling hatred. So I tried my best to wear my happiness on my sleeve at school, with friends. I wanted to make so much happiness with them, so it'll cover the traces of pain and hatred from my uncle." he spoke in a quieter, deeper tone.

"My family started crumbling under the financial issues he had caused us. It got worse and worse... He kept drinking even more, and I even saw him steal money from my parents' wallets to purchase drugs in secret. I couldn't tell them... I knew that if he heard he'd do something I will regret." Chanyeol spoke, this time the pain and fear bold in his voice. Kyungsoo could hear how speaking about this made Chanyeol's chest feel tight and stuffy.

"But they could tell I was hiding something, and when I told them... They began arguing with him." Chanyeol gulped and huffed out, he was so tense, even his hands were clenching into fists over his knees. 

"He called me over... And like a fool I listened. Then he began beating me right in front of my parents, I couldn't see anything, not until he grabbed me by the hair and put a knife to my throat. It was so stupid of me... He had a damn razor blade in his hand, and got his own fingers cut on it. The blood kept dripping down my hair--- Ugh--- It was seriously disgusting. Like a hostage in a movie or something crazy like that." He spoke with an angered yet fearful sort of voice, laced with shudders that made his skin crawl. Kyungsoo could see it. 

"I saw that my parents wanted to jump on him and end it right there, but they were so scared he'd hurt me... So they complied to his demands. It was ing terrifying. What could I have done? Just a middle school kid that looks like a beaten noodle." Chanyeol attempted to turn it into something amusing, but even with his obvious fake smile there was nothing but pain on his face.

"They did what he wanted... Then he took off like he never existed, and I was rushed to the hospital. Other than a slightly cracked rib and a swollen arm there was nothing terribly wrong, so I was released after less than a week." The stress and intense aura of fear had started to mellow and fade down into the floor of his room. 
"When I got back the first thing I did was buzz my hair off. I didn't want it to be pulled like that again, or feel the drips on my head--- You know?" He huffed the air that was left confined in his lungs, and the atmosphere in the room had eased down as well. 
Ah... So that's why Chanyeol had such a short hair at his middle school's year book photo.

"He never came back again, but my parents are still... Worried. That's why my mom acted weird. Everything is good now though, my hair's all grown again and I know damn well nobody could lay a hand on me anymore. So there's no reason to worry or anything." Chanyeol explained with his recovered calmness. Each exhale helped him let out the last bits of stress that gathered in him through the story's progress.

Then he finally turned to look at Kyungsoo with a gentle smile on his lips, so he'd look hopeful and reassuring. But... His eyes widened when he saw Kyungsoo, and he changed his position to face Kyungsoo better in slight panic. 
"H-Hey--- Don't cry, I'm sorry, I didn't think it'd be this bad---..." Chanyeol flailed his arms around for a bit before snatching a pack of tissues and handing it to Kyungsoo quickly.

Kyungsoo hasn't even realized that he'd been crying while listening. His mind was in a blank state the entire time. It felt more like he just watched a movie... Except, the movie was real. It was Chanyeol's actual reality. So he quietly used the tissues to clean himself up.

"Sorry..." Chanyeol repeated again with an apologetic smile, then straightened his back with confidence and held his hands together, looking around the carpet. 
"Anyway, we came here for the phone, right? Let me show you all the other cool things you can do." He smiled, changing the mood back to the usual happiness that always surrounds him. 

What is Kyungsoo supposed to do...? After hearing a part of Chanyeol's life that has cause him this much pain, he couldn't even think of anything at all. He simply placed the phone in Chanyeol's palm in silence. Out of instinct to comply to whatever Chanyeol says.

He couldn't believe it. He couldn't understand how Chanyeol has been through all of this... A terrible, awful overwhelming pain that lasted for so long, and yet... Yet he's him. After all that he's still the way he is. Chanyeol never deserved any of what he had to go through, he deserves the whole world and even more. If there was an angel walking this earth, it'd be Chanyeol. 

People who go through so much pain often turn bitter, distant and cold. They try to make others feel what they felt to achieve some sort of inner balance, to give themselves an excuse, some sort of justification for what they've passed. But compared to them... There's Chanyeol. His heart is so pure. There's so much love, so much happiness, hope, acceptance and life within him. And Kyungsoo is still having a hard time forgiving that uncle himself for causing Chanyeol any harm at all.

 

 

Chanyeol began talking about phone related things. There was clearly still a storm of emotions happening inside him... So why? Why is he trying so hard to provide happiness at this moment? Why does he so blatantly ignore himself for the sake of someone else?
Kyungsoo at this moment finally fully understood Chanyeol's words. Sometimes, to be there for someone you love, you have to let them go through the pain, and be there for them as they recover. Hold their hand and keep them above water so they'll learn to stand back on their own. Kyungsoo knew what he had to do. 

Kyungsoo must let Chanyeol hurt.

Slowly, he reached his hand out, and placed it over Chanyeol'd palm. The one that's holding his phone. He kept it there, feeling the warmth their touch creates, and looking at their hands touching. Chanyeol turned silent, and Kyungsoo's yet-to-dry eyes have only filled with another layer of wetness.

"It's okay. It wasn't your fault." Kyungsoo said in an airy voice. 
"You're so... So trong. I adore you so much." He continued, feeling Chanyeol's hand starting to shake a little. 
"You don't have to carry this alone anymore." Kyungsoo sniffed, a tear rolling down his cheek.
"It's okay to fall, it's alright to be unhappy... I... I will be there to catch you when you fall. So please stop being happy--- Just for a bit. Just for now." His voice was trembling slightly as he spoke.

It was then silent for a while, before Chanyeol's hand lowered down to the carpet, and Kyungsoo began worrying that he might have done something wrong. He kept looking at Chanyeol, no smile could be seen on his lips. His head was lowered down, eyes covered by the tips of his hair. 
"Kyungsoo..." Chanyeol's voice was deep and hoarse. Kyungsoo's tears have ceased to gather in his eyes when he saw Chanyeol allowing his body to slowly drop sideways, until his head fell on his shoulder. 
"Then... I'll be sad, for a little." He mumbled against Kyungsoo's chest.

He froze like a statue for a while, and waited patiently for his heartbeat to calm down enough, to the point where he could hear, and also feel the way Chanyeol was just breathing against him. Just... Existing. Chanyeol at that moment, was giving Kyungsoo the deepest look into his soul. Into the depths of his heart where everything just hurts and aches from the way the world had treated him. 

Kyungsoo just wanted to protect him. Protect his heart, and smile, protect him so that his happiness will never come at the cost of sadness and fear again. Without saying a word, Kyungsoo raised his hand, and gently began the back of Chanyeol's head.

In any other situation, he would have lost his mind from exchanging such depth-filled intimacy. But right now, it felt so right. While trailing his fingers through the locks of Chanyeol's hair, Kyungsoo felt that in order to keep Chanyeol's heart safe, he'd be able to fight the entire world if he needed to. 

More than anything, he felt honored. He was so grateful that he was able to become someone Chanyeol allowd himself to be so loose and free with. Today, Kyungsoo had met another side of Chanyeol. Today, Kyungsoo has fallen deeper in love with him, too.

The silence in the room, the slow and deep feeling of Chanyeol's breathing pattern repeating against his chest, the way the sun was setting outside the window and shining over them in fiery reds and oranges... Kyungsoo could stay like this forever.

After a while, when Chanyeol slowly raised his head to look at Kyungsoo, his energy was already very calm again. There was no hint of sadness left in his heart. The tips of his ears were pink as he laughed softly and sat up, moving closer to Kyungsoo and pulling out another tissue to wipe the tears from his cheeks and eyes again. 

"Why are you crying again...?" Kyungsoo sat quietly and looked at Chanyeol's expression as he concentrates on wiping Kyungsoo's own face. 
"I'm just..." He began, wincing lightly with a tissue got close to his eye. 
"I'm really grateful... That you let me be here... And..." He started mumbling against the tissue Chanyeol held near the side of his cheek. Which made him chuckle once more.

"No. Thank you. For being here... For letting me do... Whatever it is I just did. I feel a lot better. Like I've been healed after dealing with an open wound for years." Chanyeol started warmly, but then got a little flustered and gestured aside in an attempt to ease the situation out of the seriousness. 
"Now let's get the phones again." He said, smiling and raising Kyungsoo's device in his hand. Kyungsoo couldn't help but chuckle as well. 
"Yeah."

 

 

The sun had already finished setting as they were diving together through the endless possibilities of activities to do on the phone. From useful tools that'll become handy for Kyungsoo to use, to fun time consuming games, and all the way to silly applications for them both to tease each other with, they've gone back to their normal level of cheerfulness.

Then, as it was nearly Kyungsoo's time to leave, Chanyeol played the musical piece he has been practicing on his guitar. Kyungsoo was more than happy to see that for some of the parts, he even used the pick Kyungsoo himself has given him as a Christmas gift. It was beautiful, and heartfelt, and Chanyeol even hummed along to certain lines of the melody. It was magical, and everything wonderful Kyungsoo knew Chanyeol could play on his guitar.

Later in bed, at night, after they've both washed the remains of the day off, Kyungsoo received an audio file of Chanyeol's piece. Which he played at least three times in a row before finally tapping to reply.

[ It's beautiful. Even better than when I was there. ]

[ Hahaha, don't be silly. But thank you, I'm glad you like it. ] 

Was Chanyel's answer, and Kyungsoo smiled at his phone in content until another typing bubble had appeared. 

[ And Kyungsoo, thank you for letting me fall, and catching me at the bottom. I really feel healed. If you ever fall, I'll be there to catch you too. I promise. ] 

The message appeared, and Kyungsoo's eyes began tearing up again. His heart was thumping fast from just how meaningful this message is to him. Kyungsoo hasn't done anything big... He didn't quite understand he to properly do any of these things. But Chanyeol's promise was more meaningful than anything Kyungsoo could have possibly done. He wanted to see him... He wanted to hear him say these words, see him smiling in that confident way he does when saying important things... He wanted to... Feel him. his hair, breathe in his scent... Absorb his warmth.

[ Goodnight, Chanyeolie. ] 

He replied with a red heart at the end of the message. Then sighed with relief when Chanyeol's red heart came in return.

Chanyeol said he'd be there for him if he'd ever fall... But the one thing Chanyeol doesn't know, is that Kyungsoo is already constantly falling. There's no end to how much deeper in love with him, Kyungsoo will be able to fall.