Chicken

Sorcerers' Apprentice

            Jonghyun looked up from the text he was writing, foot shaking a little from where his legs were crossed over each other under the desk. “You know love, one of us must talk with him.”

            “I actually have no idea what you are talking about.” Jinki quipped from his spot by the large vanity in their room. His fingers were running through his fingers softly, making eye contact with his lover through the reflection in the mirror in front of him.

            After placing his quill in the ink, he leaned back in his chair, arms crossing over his chest. “Love.”

            Jinki’s hands fell into his lap as he sighed, twisting on his stool to look at him fully. “He never should have attempted such a high-level ward, Jonghyun.”

            “He shouldn’t have, but while I know the way you reacted was just because you were worried about his safety, he thinks you are angry with him.” As he finished his thought he made his way over to Jinki, moving his hands over the man’s jaw. He felt Jinki’s hands fall to his hips as his head tipped back to look up. “Minho is a soft soul, Love. He takes the littlest things to heart. We’re the closest thing he’s ever had to a Father. You need to talk to him.”

            “What do I say?” Jinki huffed, forehead falling until it was pressed against Jonghyun’s chest. His voice was slightly muffled as he spoke again. “Tell him how scared I was when I heard him scream? Tell him how much of a failure I felt like when I was taking care of his pain? I was taking care of a stupid customer. He’s more important than that and I- That ward could have completely ruined him. I wouldn’t even think to do such a thing unless I was fully rested and even then I’d want you there to help. He’s like the son we will never have Jonghyun. I know I shouldn’t have yelled like that. I don’t know how to face him now.”

            “Now I’ve never known you to be a chicken, my love.” A slow smile pulled at Jonghyun’s lips as he pressed a kiss to Jinki’s that wiped the man’s pout away quickly. “Be honest with him. Show him how you feel and explain why you reacted like that. And if that all fails, give him a hug.”

            Jinki stood, pressing a kiss to Jonghyun’s forehead. “Thank you. I’m quite sure I’d never have been able to do this without you.”

            He gave him a sweet kiss on the lips, hand lightly tangled in his hair. “You’d be lost in a lot of things, my love. Now go.”

            “I know when I am no longer wanted,” He tsked, teasing as he slipped past him. Jonghyun smacked him on the smiling proudly as Jinki left through the door. He returned to finish writing his book on magical botany.

---

            Jinki took a deep breath before gently knocking a few knuckles across Minho’s closed door. He heard quiet shuffles and then the door was pulled open. Minho was standing there in his sleep clothes, eyes wide for just a moment before he was bowing at the waist. “Master.”

            “Oh, relax Young One.” He gave a soft smile, “May I speak with you, Minho?”

            “Of course.”

            The silence that fell as they sat on Minho’s bed was slightly awkward. In the six years, Minho had been their apprentice, Jinki had never risen his voice like he had earlier that afternoon. It was Jinki who broke it. “I wish to apologize for yelling at you as I did. I heard your scream and I was so scared that something had happened that I couldn’t protect you from or fix. That doesn’t excuse my behavior.”

            “You aren’t... Disappointed in me?” Minho’s voice was so soft and small, Jinki was reminded that he was still a child. No matter how powerful and advance he was, he was still a 14-year-old boy.

            “I was scared. I should have been in there with you. What happened was my fault, Young One.”

            “You’re never scared.”

            Jinki laughed lightly, looking up from his hands. “I am. Of many things. Of somehow failing in being your Master. In disappointing you. Of failing to protect you. I’m extremely protective of things that I care about, Jonghyun and you are the two on top of that list.”

            “I mean as much as Master Jonghyun does?”

            He nudged their shoulders together, smiling warmly. “While the feelings are vastly different, yes. Somehow that little skinny boy who came into this shop those years ago wormed his way into my heart. I’m not angry with you. Just promise me you won’t attempt something like that again unless I’m there with you. You must know, no matter who I’m with, what I’m doing if you need my help all you have to do is ask.”

            After some time, Minho asked gently, “Can I ask for something now?”

            “Of course.”

            “Can I get a hug?” Jinki let out a breath of relief, smiling easily as he turned slightly. Minho fell against him, head under Jinki’s chin, both tightly embracing. His voice was muffled as he spoke, “I wanted to make you proud of me.”

            Jinki held him tighter, kissing his hair. “Oh Young one. I’m always proud of you.”