Roasted

Sorcerers' Apprentice

           Minho hugged himself tightly, the nip in the air starting to seep deep into his bones. The fire was roaring in front of him. He wanted to reach out and feel the warmth on his hands, but he kept curled in on himself. It was then a thick cloak was laid over his shoulders and when he looked up to see Jonghyun smiling softly at him. “Wouldn’t want our Young one to freeze, would we?”

           “Thank you, Master.”

           Jinki stepped closer from the fire, handing over a small bowl full of roasted cherries. “It’s not much, but the sweet warmth will cure some of the ice in your bones.”

           “How close are we to our destination Masters?”

           Jonghyun quietly laughed, confusing Minho deeply. “It is not either of us that will know. The gem of a sorcerer’s staff is one that only that sorcerer can sense.”

           “Are you telling me you’ve been leading me to the middle of nowhere for nothing?”

           “Oh my dear young one,” Jinki kneeled in front of him, smiling warmly. “We have been following you this whole time. I had a feeling you’d find yours here. I found mine not too far from here. With us being more protection based, it’d make sense.”

           Minho shook his head, “Leave it to me to find two Masters.”

           Jonghyun bumped his shoulder, amused. “You make it seem like it’s not a pleasant experience.”

           “Of course not.” Minho dipped his head, shy all of a sudden. “I know I only approached to ask for an apprenticeship with Master Jinki, but I am truly grateful you both opened up your lives to teach me.”

           Jinki grinned. “We kind of come as a package deal.”

           “Besides, I couldn’t very well just let him corrupt you in the ways of his magic. Two master sorcerers who can read people’s pasts like they’re producing a small flame? I think not.” Jonghyun teased before chewing on one of his cherries. Jinki gazed at him fondly, knowing no jest was in the words. “You’ve come a very long way, Minho. We are both extremely proud of the progress you’ve made since we took you under our wings.”

           “I am only as good as your teachings Masters.”

           “Flattery is sweet enough, my young apprentice, except when it’s not due.” Jinki scrunched his nose as pain throbbed behind his eyes for a moment. “Once you are finished you should get some rest. We must find your gem come sunrise.”

           Minho hummed happily. “I do hope it’s red in color.”

           “Why red?” Jonghyun quietly asked.

           “It’s my favorite color.”

           His Masters laughed at his simple and innocent answer, sometimes forgetting how young he actually was. Jinki spoke then, finishing his cherries. “Then I do hope that it is red in color.”