Drain

Sorcerers' Apprentice

or, Flashback to where Jinki goes to get Minho's adoption papers to make the Apprenticeship official.

            “Master Jonghyun?”

            The soft sound of the pestle scraping against the mortar stopped as Jonghyun looked up from the book he was reading. “Yes, Minho?”

            “Is Master Jinki going to... mm adopt me?”

            “He’s going to try to.” Minho’s expression fell as he fiddled with the picture book he had been looking at. “He can be very persuasive when he wants to be. Once convinced a passing through bounty hunter he was down with the frogpox.”

            “There isn’t a thing as frogpox is there?”

            “Nothing even close to resembling it, but as I said, persuasive.” He reached to grab the lavender powder and dipped it into the pot. “This is your home Minho if you’d like it to be. Jinki is going to make sure of that.”

            “Did he go because he’s scarier than you?”

            Jonghyun giggled, “Quite so, Young one, quite so.”

-----

            “What can I do for you, sir?”

            Jinki smiled warmly at the older woman, knowing full well she had to recognize him from the multiple attempts at adopting prior. “One of your children here came to find me. Being he is a sorcerer, I’ve come to formally adopt him in order to train him.”

            “None of my children have gone missing. You must be mistaken.”

            “Well, that is where you are wrong, Ma’am.” He gently folded his arms in the sleeves of his robe. “A young boy ran away just over a week ago after you punished him for accidentally setting a tree on fire, by putting him in a room he couldn’t even stand in. Now, I will ask again Ma’am, may I adopt, Choi Minho to be my Apprentice?”

            The woman’s smile had fallen, eyes sharp in a glare as she stood from her seat. “I will not be intimidated. I’ve told you and your partner you may not adopt any of my children. You must return him.”

            “Have you met Captain Jung Yunho, of the City’s Royal Guard?” Jinki smiled then, “Oh of course you do, what am I asking. Well, he just so happens to be one of my regular customers. I bet he would hate to hear how you treat children with the gift of magic. Since we’re protected for fair treatment under the law.”

            “Are you threatening me?”

            “Completely.” Jinki flashed a charming little smile. “So, how about those adoption papers?”

            “I told you my answer. Now leave.”

            Jinki leans over the desk then and softly says. "I will drain you for everything you have, this orphanage, that nice house you have up on the hill, the reputation you have, for the way you treated that boy if you don't give me those papers." He smiles as he straightens, adding almost too sweet. "Ma'am."

-----

            Dinner was on the table when Jinki returned to the shop. He slipped through the door as quietly as he could after unlocking it, the bell on top giving him away more than his footsteps. As he stepped into the backroom Jonghyun looked up from the potatoes he was serving Minho. “Love.”

            Jinki pressed a warm kiss to his temple as he tugged him closer, voice soft as he fondly said, “Dear One.”

            “How’d it go?” A plate was passed into his hands as he took his seat to the right of Jonghyun.

            Minho looked up from his hands in his lap, shyly asking, “Did you get the papers?”

            “I did.” To prove it, he reached into the bag still hanging against his side, pulling out the scroll.

            “So you adopted me?”

            “Not yet, Young One,” Jinki then turned his attention to Jonghyun who was wiggling to get his seat where he wanted it. “I need Master Jonghyun to sign them too before it’s official.”

            “What?” Jonghyun whispered as he laid his fork back on the table. “But you-”

            “You honestly didn’t believe I’d do this without you, did you Jonghyun?” He ran a few fingers down the back of his hand. “Minho has agreed to have the both of us train him. You’re his Master too.”

            “Well, I just thought he came here for you and…”

            “I only came for him because my friend told me about the fortune teller with the white stripe of hair.” Minho pipes up quietly, smiling a little as he looks up.

            Jonghyun’s bottom lip was quivering just a little as he sniffled softly. Jinki cooed, reaching over to curl his hand around his head and tug him in to kiss his temple. “Oh, Dear One, shh.”

            “Shut up.” He mumbled, but he was smiling as Minho giggled at him, so Jinki knew he didn’t really mean it.