Poisonous

Sorcerers' Apprentice

         Jonghyun followed the man as he walked around the shop. He rose an eyebrow each time a tiny vial was picked up, label inspected before it was haphazardly placed back on the shelf. Just when he was about to question the customer if he needed assistance or not, Jinki silently stepped into the room from the curved stairwell to his right. “Is there something you are looking for that I may assist you in finding?”

         “Oh, um,” Being spoken to the man began to act like a cornered animal almost, nervous. “I am in need of a love potion.”

         Jinki’s dark hair softly swung across his back as he moved to the left. The glass display case opened as he waved his hand, the small heart-shaped bottle cool in his palm as he held it out to the customer. “Pardon me for reading you, but I believe this will allow you to get the answers you desire.”

         The man carefully turned the bottle, reading the label, before looking up confused, “But, this isn’t a love potion.”

         “This potion will allow you to figure out an individual’s romantic feelings quickly and easily.” Jinki cross his arms, hands moving into the sleeves of his overcoat. “If you wish to know if Kim Yerim desires to be in a relationship with you, all you must do is have her drink this. May I suggest putting it in a cup of tea that she likes. Perhaps, peppermint?”

         “How did you know..” His voice drifts off as Jinki smiles charmingly at him.

         “If you wish to purchase this, my associate will ring you out at the counter. If not, I bid you a good day.” Jinki dipped his head before turning away, walking into the back of the shop to check on their shared apprentice. Minho’s hair was up on end, his fingertips sparking a little from the leftover static, and Jinki couldn’t help but chuckle. “Did you get too close to the eels, my Young Apprentice?”

         Minho sheepishly smiled before bowing his head in apology, “Yes, Master.”

         “That’s quite alright, Minho.” He leaned over the shallow glass bowl in the center of the table. He rose an eyebrow as he pulled over the text Minho had been looking from. “Are you attempting to create a protection amulet?”

         A dash of pink dusted the young boy’s cheeks. “I know Masters wished me to focus on hexes, but upon my research, I found this text of Master Jonghyun’s and I was confident that I could complete a lesser enchantment.”

         “Well, while enchantments are not my specialty, I will say everything seems to be in order,” Minho’s face bloomed in a huge smile, but it fell when his Master spoke again. “Except, by putting pokeberries instead of blueberries, you are in the process of creating a cursed amulet, Young One.”

         “Pokeberries?!”

         Jinki carefully picked up the bowl that still had a few left in them, “They look extremely like blueberries, except they are highly poisonous. Upon wearing this you’d be cursing yourself to a very slow, painful death.”

         “What is this about a very slow and painful death, I hear?” Both looked toward the shorter Sorcerer.

         “Our young Apprentice here was one ingredient away from making a cursed Amulet, my dear.”

         “Well fiddlesticks.” Jonghyun playfully huffed, smiling as he stepped over to inspect the concoction in the bowl. “Oh, pokeberries. The vain of my apprenticeship experience. I can fix this. As talented as my dear Jinki is, enchantments are definitely my thing.”

         Jinki chuckled deeply before pressing a kiss to Jonghyun’s cheek. “I leave our ambitious apprentice with you, my love.”

         As he stepped out of the room he heard Minho softly say, “I feel Master Jinki is disappointed in me.”

         Jonghyun laughed sweetly. “No, my dear. It’s a common mistake. I only request-”

         His gentle voice was cut off as the door closed. He noticed that the sign upon the door was flipped over to close. With a hum, Jinki began straightening the vials that had been moved from their carefully planned spots throughout their business hours.