Weak

Sorcerers' Apprentice

More flashbacks, or the first time Jonghyun sees Jinki completely exhausted from his work with the King

                   Jonghyun lifted the wooden spoon from the black kettle, softly sipping at the soup, humming contently at the taste as he lowered the spoon once again. The small house he had bought a few months ago was coming along swimmingly. It wasn’t much, but there were two levels, a kitchen, and a nice porch outside. The yard in the back was tiny compared to many others but it was big enough for his chickens and his one cattle he bought as a young boy when he had just been a calf. It was on the outskirts of the city, near the narrow part of the river to the north. Ever since his master had allowed him to take clients, he had saved his money to be able to buy his own place one day. Sitting on his porch he could see the Sorcerers’ tower that Jinki lived.

                 The man was supposed to be on his way for their dinner. Jonghyun’s new residence was further away, but it gave them more privacy. Besides, Jonghyun didn’t want to overstay his welcome with his old Master. The sweet man had taken him in and taught him everything he knew when Jonghyun hadn’t had anything to give in return. Even accepted him bringing a highland cattle back instead of the ingredients he had sent him out for. Almost seventeen years being his apprentice after his parents had dropped him off on the porch with a little bag of things and note. Donghae deserved some quiet time.

                 It was then he heard a loud noise coming from the front of the house. He wiped his hands on a thick cloth before walking out of the kitchen toward the door. He had the main wooden door open so that Jinki could just walk in when he arrived, but as he turned the corner he saw the man failing to keep himself up off the wood of the porch. His clothes were covered in mud, his hair wet, and breathing heavy. His hands were shaking as he tried to gather himself. When he looked up and caught Jonghyun’s gaze, his eyes were soft, almost weak. He gave a tight smile. “Sorry, I’m late.”

                 “Jinki!”

                 As Jonghyun pushed his arms under Jinki’s, lifting him up to his unsteady feet, Jinki rambled, trying to explain. “I felt so tired, but I didn’t want to miss out on seeing you Dear one and then I tripped and fell into this puddle. So now I’m muddy and it’s a little cold and I don’t really like the cold and-”

                 “Shh, Love. Shh. Let’s get you by the fire. You’re shivering.” Slowly by taking most of his weight, Jonghyun got Jinki to the fireplace in the living room. Quickly he ran up to his bedroom to get a change of clothes. Then went to get some unused water from the bucket he had in the kitchen. “I hope you don’t mind me helping you change.”

                 “Mmm, not the way I wanted you to first see me bare, but I guess it’ll do.” Jinki gave a warm smile, hair falling into his eyes.

                 Jonghyun was softly wiping the mud from his face and hands before moving to his hair as he asked, “What has you so tired and weak, Love?”

                 “Visions, Dear One.” His head was pressed against Jonghyun’s tummy as his hair and neck were cleaned. His voice muffled and gentle. “I need time to rest between very large scale ones. I haven’t been given such time.”

                 “You didn’t have to come. I’d have understood.” He softly lifted Jinki’s chin with his fingers, catching his gaze.

                 “I always feel better when I’m with you, Jonghyun.”

             He kissed his unusually warm forehead before putting the cloth back into the bucket of water. “Let’s get you changed and we can have dinner.”

             Even with how tired he was, Jinki still managed to wiggle his eyebrows. Jonghyun sighed deeply as he pulled Jinki’s shirt from his pants.

-----    

             “I apologize for ruining the romantic mood you worked so tirelessly to create, Dear One.” Jinki’s head was laying softly on Jonghyun’s thigh as his hair was played with. Their bowls were on the table in front of them, empty for some time.

             Jonghyun chuckled, gazing down at him fondly. His movements were slow, as if in a haze, and Jonghyun supposed he was. He was warm and content beside his lover. “I’m relieved you made it here. You were really weak, Love.”

             “I want to give you something.” He lifted his hand and soon the small velvet bag that was resting on the ground near his boots was floating into his palm. “Good thing I put a protection spell on it.”

                 “What is it?”

                 “It isn’t what you think it is.” He carefully sat up and opened the black box to reveal a silver ring. He laughed quietly when he saw how big Jonghyun’s eyes were. “This was my father’s before I started my apprenticeship. I want you to have it. As a promise. I love you a lot Jonghyun and I know it’s only been a few months, but even if I haven’t looked into our future, I have this feeling that your future and mine are intertwined.”

                 “Love, I… I don’t know what to say.”

                 “It’s supposed to help protect you from harmful spells and curses, minor ones at least.” Jinki pressed a sweet kiss to the corner of his lips. “It’d mean a lot to me if you had it.”

                 “Of course.” Jonghyun breathed out quickly. Jinki slid it on his finger just before Jonghyun was dipping his head down to nuzzle into his neck. “I love you too.”