Expensive

Sorcerers' Apprentice

           The soft humming alerts Jinki to his lover’s presence as it grew in volume. Sure enough, a few moments later Jonghyun was stepping through their half-closed bedroom door. The gentle notes faded into silence as he crawled over the bed to lay on his tummy, smiling as he kissed Jinki’s cheek. “Do you think he’ll like it?”

           “Why wouldn’t he like it, Love?”

           “I don’t know.” Jinki pouted slightly, looking into the small wooden box next to him. “I guess I’m just nervous. I don’t want him to dislike it after I risked so much to travel recently to get it.”

           “Minho is going to love whatever we get him.” Jonghyun wiggled a little more to be able to wrap his arms around Jinki’s neck, laying his head on his right shoulder. “He’s so excited for his birthday dinner. When I checked on him on my way up here he was practically jumping from the rafters.”

           “Is the food almost ready, Dear One?” Jinki leaned back, smiling fondly at the way Jonghyun moved to kiss his neck.

           “Almost. A few more minutes, surely.” He nuzzled his nose into his neck, breathing in his soothing, calming scent. “We probably should go fetch Minho however.”

           “I’ll go get him.” He pushed off the floor, smiling as he walked toward the door. “Get the gift would you, beautiful?”

           “Of course. I’ll be down in a few minutes.”

----

           “Is the blindfold really necessary, Dad?” Minho huffed as he was led into the room. Jinki was laughing quietly, palm flat on his lower back and the other curled around Minho’s left arm.

           “Completely.” He smiled over at Jonghyun standing by the fireplace, curled in his arms was the gift. “Are you ready?”

           “You didn’t get me another text to read did you?”

           “I gave that to you ONCE and it was for your 9th birthday.”

           “No, there was also my 11th birthday.”

           “I detest this conversation now so,” He pulled the blindfold off and gestured with his left hand. “Happy Birthday, Minho.”

           They could tell by his expression he was confused, but then his eyes lowered slightly to the moving creature in Jonghyun’s arms. “What.. what is it?”

           “An Owl Griffin.” Jonghyun quietly replied as he stepped toward, holding the large cat sized animal. “He’s young, but this is about how big he’ll get.”

           “He’s mine?” A soft trill was given as he hesitantly ran his fingers over the feathers between the two cat ears. Minho looked between the two of them, eyes wide and lips parted.

           There was so much warmth filling Jinki’s chest seeing the pure innocence on Minho’s features, the sweet amusement of seeing something new, of having an animal. “He’s much more than a cat or a ferret. He has his own magic and once you’ve bonded enough with him, he’ll be extremely loyal. You’re fifteen now, but I remember you mentioning you wanted one when you were little after we learned about them. We figured you were old enough to care for one.”

           “But I-” Minho’s bottom lip was between his teeth as his eyes lowered, fingers still moving over the length of his gift gently. “They’re rare. This must have been extremely expensive.”

           “Never you mind the cost. Jonghyun and I discussed it thoroughly before I traveled to get him.” After a moment he asked, “Do you like him?”

           “He’s beautiful. Does he have a name?”

           “Not yet,” Jonghyun replied with a smile, before making Minho take the Griffin. Careful to have all four feet supported, Minho ran his hand over his wings, moving to sit down at one of the plush chairs near the fireplace. He was mumbling soft things the other two couldn’t hear. As if pulled by a string Jonghyun moved until he was close enough to tug Jinki against him, snuggling into his shoulder. He whispered, “I think he likes it.”

           “Seems so.”

           “That also means I’m right.”

           Jinki’s arm around his back fell from holding him tightly as he huffed. “No one likes a show-off.”

           “Uh huh, you love me.”

           Even as he took Jonghyun’s cheek into his hand and led him into a kiss, he was frowning. Before he pressed their lips together he mumbled, “Too much it seems.”

           “Oh shove it, Love.” Jonghyun laughed quietly as he closed the small distance between them. "How about we eat now, hmm?" 

           Jinki's tummy grumbled then, causing Jonghyun to laugh. "Shut up I'm hungry." 

           With a soft coo, Jonghyun gently poked his tummy. "Oh, my poor baby."

----

The appearance of the Owl Griffin is based on this piece of artwork