Breakable

Sorcerers' Apprentice

          Jinki was stirring a healing tonic when he heard the shattering of glass and a very tiny scream. The wooden spoon in his hand causes the liquid in the cauldron to splatter along the sides and spilling a little off the top as he drops it in his haste to get to the source of such a noise. Minho, who he had last seen with Jonghyun learning things about the potions and tonics that the shop sold. Sliding into the doorway he’s barely able to put a hand on the frame to stop himself from crashing into it. He sees Minho near the front of the store, glass bottle shattered on the floor, as he cradles his right hand against his chest.

          Minho’s gaze lifts and there are tears starting to form as he sees Jinki jogging toward him. Jinki softly kneels then, reaching gently to take the hurt hand, but Minho tugs it away, cowering from Jinki’s touch as he rambles, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to break it I was just looking at it and it slipped and I tried to pick it up to clean it but then I cut my hand and I’m sorry. I got blood on my nice clothes you got me and I’m sorry.”

          “Shh, shh, Young one, I just want to see how bad it is.” Jinki held out his hand once again with a warm smile, “Please? I’m not mad at you.”

          “You’re... Not mad?”

          “No, Sweetheart. I only care about making sure the cut isn’t that bad.” Hesitantly, Minho stepped closer, bringing his hand a little from his chest. His bottom lip was pulled through his teeth as he looked between Jinki’s face and held out palm. Then he gently laid his hand for Jinki to see. "Where is Master Jonghyun, Minho?"

          "He said he had to get... labels! He was getting labels." Jinki was pressing the sleeve of his robe against the cut to stop the bleeding when Minho spoke again. “I’m really sorry I broke it. I’ll accept my punishment.”

          Jinki's brows furrow then, confusion growing as he lifted his gaze from Minho's hand to his face. “Wait, what?”

          “For breaking it. Whipping or being locked in a room without dinner are a few of my.. familiar ones.”

         “Oh my sweet, there is no punishment. It was an accident.” Jinki laid his other hand over Minho’s gently, shoulders relaxing as his smile fell. "You will never be punished because you make a mistake. You may be lectured extensively or have to deal with Jonghyun fretting over you like the person he is, but no yelling. No punishment." 

          “But…”

          "They're breakable and replaceable. You are not Young One." After removing his right hand from touching Minho’s hand, he lifted it to knock over the entire shelf of jars, all of them shattering on the floor. Then he stood, lifting Minho carefully with a soft groan. He smiled widely though, “See? Now, let’s go clean than hand up hmm?”

          “How can you lift me?”

          Jinki hummed, “I lift Master Jonghyun all the time.”

          “Does he hurt himself a lot?”

          Jinki’s cheeks are slightly pink and Minho wonders why as the man responds with, “No, not really.”

          "Then why do you carry him so much?" 

          Just then Jonghyun is stepping from the top of the stairs, bewildered. "What happened?" 

          Jinki has never felt as much relief as he did then, Minho's question forgotten as he answered his lover.