Scorched

Sorcerers' Apprentice

Flashback to Minho running away from the orphanage to find Jinki            

            The blanket wrapped around his shoulders had so many holes and tears in the fabric it barely fulfilled it’s purpose to keep him warm. He brought his bony knees up to his chest when he heard footsteps approaching, but then it was only his friend Junmyeon. He was slightly older than him, with a mop of dark hair. In his hands was a bruised up apple, but he was still careful with it as he kneeled to hand it over. “I’m sorry I couldn’t get more Minho.”

            “You could get in trouble,” Minho pouted deeply. “Everyone is too scared of me.”

            “I’m not.” Junmyeon smiled warmly, leaning back on his bare heels.

            “But I started a fire. I burned things with just my hands.” That big tree was completely scorched. Along with the grass between him and it’s trunk. His bottom lip trembled as he moved to hide his face into the crook of his arm, causing his voice to become soft and muffled. “I’m never going to have a family.”

            “You just need a teacher!” Junmyeon whispered. “Someone like you.”

            He wiped his eyes with the back of his hand as he scowled, “And where am I gonna find one of those Junnie?”

            “I heard there’s one in the next town over. Some new kid was brought from there was talking bout it!”

            “How do you know they’re like me?”

            “He owns a magical shop. The kid talked about the fortunes he’d give out like nothing. He could teach you.”

            His sniffles were slowly fading in strength, “How could I even get there? Know who he is. That’s a stupid idea.”

            "Hey!” Junmyeon frowned, softly smacking the back of Minho’s hand. “I’ll help you escape here, Min. All you gotta do is get there and ask someone. They’re well known! The guy as a wide white streak in his long hair. You can’t miss him.”

            He pulled his bottom lip between his teeth, searching his friend’s face. “You’ll help me?”

            “Of course.” The boy smiled all big. “You’re meant for bigger things.”

            Minho took a deep breath before smiling, “Okay. Okay. I’ll go find him.”

            With a grin, Junmyeon stated. “Now, about the plan.”

----

            If Minho was completely honest with himself, he never thought Junmyeon’s plan of causing a distraction would work, but here he was standing outside of the shop of the Sorcerer he was supposed to be looking for. Junmyeon had been right in that the man was well known. All he had to do was ask an elderly woman who offered him a piece of bread about the magic man with the white stripe of hair, and she had sent him directly to the shop. If he squinted he could see one man sitting behind the counter, reading in the big of sunlight that reached him from the big windows in the front of the shop. There wasn’t a strip of white from what Minho could see. Deep sorrow and disappointment bubbled into his chest then, but he had to go in to make sure. If he went back to the orphanage he’d be severely punished. This was his only hope to get a teacher.

            He pushed open the almost too heavy door. He felt too dirty to touch anything around him and apologetic as the dust from his broken shoes fell against the clean dark wood of the floors. The man behind the counter was looking at him he knew, but Minho couldn’t bring himself to lift his gaze. There was a distant sound that reminded Minho of steps and then he heard voices. “He hasn’t said anything.”

            “He’s scared Dear One.” Then after a few moments, a shadow fell over him and he saw dark green of someone’s robe against the floor and their dark boots as he gazed down. “I believe you’re here for me, Young One.”

            Minho looked up so quick his neck hurt a little. The man had a kind smile, warm eyes. Quickly he looked over his features to his hair, and his excitement almost completely bubbled over when he saw the white stark against the black. “You.. know why I’m here?”

            “I read you. I’ve been expecting you.” The man gracefully kneeled, so they were more eye level with one another. “What’s your name, Young One?”

            “Choi Minho.”

            "That’s a very nice name, Minho. My name is Lee Jinki.” He offered his hand out and Minho hesitantly curled his hand around a few of Jinki’s fingers. When Jinki smiled, some of Minho’s nerves lessened slightly. “You’ve had a long time coming here, Young one. You’re here for a Master, someone to teach you?”

            “How did-” He hadn’t told the man that. How did he know all this? What had he meant when he said he read him? He swallowed thickly, flicking his eyes quickly over Jinki’s features as his heartbeat increased in his fright.

            “Shh, Shh. I apologize for scaring you.” Jinki frowned for a moment, brows furrowed before he smiled softly. “There are many different types of Sorcerers. That’s what I am. What he is and what you are. I am what many call a Prophet. I can tell fortunes, read people's past and futures. It’s what I meant when I said I expected you. How I knew your reasoning for being here.”

            “You.. can see the future?”

            “Possible futures yes.”

            “And you saw me coming here?”

            “I did.”

            Minho wrapped his arms tightly around his middle, trying so hard to keep his tears in. “Are you going to send me back?”

            “Oh Young One, of course not.”

            “You’ll teach me?”

            “I know you only came looking for me, but if you were to become my apprentice, you’d have to be also taught by my partner.”

            Minho looked at the other man that had been sitting at the counter, now leaning against it on the front. “Is he nice?”

            The laugh Jinki made was warm and sincere. “The very nicest. Will you allow us to clean you up? I bet you’re hungry.”

            At that Minho’s stomach grumbled, causing the two men to chuckle. With pink cheeks, he took Jinki’s offered hand. “Maybe a little.”

            As he was led into up the stairs he looked up when Jinki spoke. "Please don't be afraid of being sent back. Even if you find that neither of us are the right Master for you, we'll find you someone who is. We take care of our own."

            Minho tightened his grip around the man's hand. He hoped he didn't have to look any further in a teacher.