SIDE A | Track 6

Mix Tape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SIDE A:ACCIDENTALLY YOURS

"Why are you not touching your food?"

"I-" Jessica bites her lower lip, avoiding any eye contact with the latter. "I'm just trying to digest what happened earlier."

"Don't worry about it, I'll figure something out."

"I want to help out, I feel like I just need to do something."

"You will do something and that is to act naturally and don't panic." Yuri says. "Now could you please put food in your mouth? You haven't eaten something since last
night. I don't want my child to become malnourished just because you're overthinking things right now."

"Okay." She half-heartedly answers as her mind still continues to remember what happened earlier.


 

"Mom? Dad?" Yuri mumbles, still in surprise of their sudden visit.

"So the rumors are ture then. You do have a girlfriend." Mrs. Kwon says as she glances at the girl who was now hanging her head low. "What's your name?"

"Good-day I-I-I'm Jessica, Jessica Jung." She bows formally.

"Miss Jung, can you free your schedule for tonight? 7 o'clock. I'd have to have a family dinner with you."

Jessica turns to Yuri who gives a subtle nod before turning back to them. "Understood Mrs. Kwon."

"Yeobo, I think we should leave them alone." Mr. Kwon says.

"Dad, you should come inside. Let's all have break-"

"No need Yuri, we'll see the both of you tonight."

 

 

"Yah." Jessica blinks and faces Yuri once again. "Are you spacing out again?"

"Huh?"

The idol uses her fork to point at her chin. "You've got food on your face."

Jessica blushes in embarrassment as she wipes it off. "S-sorry."

"Dress up. After breakfast I'll drive you home."


 

 

"MISS JESSICA JUNG!"

"Jesus!" The blonde beauty sighs loudly as she clutches onto her heart. "YAH! DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT!"

"Then you should've answered your handphone!" She retorts. "You should've told me about your whereabouts last night! I was so worried to death that something might've happened to you because you weren't answering your phone- neither is Hara or Irene. I even had to find out through Yuri's boss that you guys were together- for the entire night if I may add!"

Jessica's eyebrows rose in amusement. "You called Miss Kim?"

"I had to go to her office to calm my !"

"Language!" She warns, but she knows how Tiffany would rarely cuss only because out of pure and uncontrollable emotion. "First of all, I'm sorry that you had to go all through that worry. You're right I should've contacted you at least once."

"Damn right you should. It was so awkward meeting her boss, I had to wait for fifteen seconds for her to answer because she was just looking dead-straight at me."

"Hmmm, she must've thought you're some kind of angel."

"Don't try to use sweet words on me Sooyeon." She threatens, making Jessica gulped. She knows she's in deep trouble when Tiffany calls out her Korean name.

"S-s-sorry."

Her bestfriend sighs and encourages her to sit beside her which the latter did. "I'm sorry I snapped, I was just so worried."

"I perfectly understand. I would've done the same thing if I was in your shoes."

She nods in response. "But seriously though, how are you? Like literally because I know what you had to go through yesterday was no joke."

"I really thought I was gonna die in there Tiff." She sighs. "If it weren't for-"

"Let me guess- Kwon Yuri." Mentioning her crush's name causes the blush to creep into her cheeks. "I see... Well from the videos that's been going around, I'm not surprised."

"Video rumors?" She connects her eyebrows in confusion. "What video rumors?"

Her bestfriend scoffs and pulls out her phone. "Of course, you must've been tired from all that but just to refreshen your memory..."

 

Intrigued on what her best friend was saying, she scoots closer to have a better view of the buffering video. It appears to be a fan-taken video with various screams and conversation could be heard. Jessica saw her poor self letting those girls throw eggs, flour and insults right at her while she was too stunned to do a thing. she looks away, deciding that it would be better for her to skip that part and then tuning back in when she hears the familiar horn and the roar of the engine.

She looks back at the screenn and felt her heart flutter all over again seeing Yuri emerging from the driver's seat looking so beautiful and charismatic. She walks towards her and protectively wrapping a coat before ushering her to the car. She thought the video was done but then she notices Yuri stopped and looked at the crowd before grabbing her own hand phone and started to take pictures of the crowd- focusing more to the women who bullied her.


"I'll see you all in court." Yuri says before going back to her seat and driving away.


 

 

The video finally ends and Jessica looks at her best friend. "She... She said that?"

"Trust me, I couldn't even digest what happened even though Miss Kim-"

"Miss Kim?" Her voice coated with amusement once again. "It was Taeyeon-sshi who sould this video to you?"

"Ahuh, that's because I didn't believe her first when she told you guys were together. And she even told me that your Yuri was so angry during their face time that it was the first time seeing her artist to have that kind anger in her eyes."

"So you guys talked?"

"No Jessie, we just looked into each others' eyes and we understood." Tiffany couldn't help but roll her eyes in pure sarcasm. "Of course we talked, and wait a minute- why does every interaction I have with Miss Kim always seem to amuse you?"

"Nothing." She shuts and the topic because she didn't want Tiffany to have a bad imppression of Taeyeon. "Maybe it's just pregnant hormones I guess."

"Maybe you should take a rest." She suggests which the latter nods and starts to go to her room.

"Oh, by the way can you wake me up at four?"

"Why?"

"Because I'll be having dinner with the Kwons."


A knock on the door happened around 5:30 in the afternoon where Tiffany- who was enjoying her book with the LP player serving smooth instrumentals walked over to their door and looks at the tiny hole to see who the visitor was. She immediately unlocks everything and welcomes Yuri- whom she have met for the second time with a warm smile as the latter gives a small bow in response. She enters the apartment and Tiffany could immediately tell that Yuri was wondering how could they live in such a small apartment as this.

 

 

"She's still getting ready but she's almost done." Yuri just nods. "Would you like something to drink? There's not much but I just bought fresh orange juice this day."

"It's alright, I think I've caused enough trouble with you guys."

"Yuri-sshi?" The idol looks at her. "Thank you for protecting my best friend." She ends with a smile.

"She's with me now and I'm gonna protect her no matter what."

"Which is why I am thankful."

"Tiff did you see my-" Jessica widen her eyes as two pairs of eyes land on her. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?" She screams in English.

"I'm here to pick you up."

"But it's still-" She widen her eyes. "It's already 6:15!? Why didn't you tell me!?"

"I did doofus but apparently you're too busy on deciding on what to wear that maybe you just zoned out."

Yuri swore Jessica was shooting daggers at the woman with the bob cut. "Well about the shoes, they're at the rack by the door- fourth row."

"T-thank you."

Tiffany smirks. "You two should get going now. Traffic's gonna be hard if you stay a minute longer."

"Tiffany-sshi, we'll head out now."

"You two take care and Jessica Jung- please be home tonight."

"I will."

 

Both the lift and car ride was silent and Jessica thought that this was kind of their usual setup now and she didn't mind actually because she had too much going on in her head and she still needs to straighten out her thoughts. She literally felt her soul jumped out from her the moment she saw Yuri casually standing in their living room talking to her best friend. She felt her heart beating out of the normal rhythm- especially when she saw Yuri in the mocha-colored turtleneck paired with black jeans and oxford shoes to perfectly match her black coat.

The woman in the driver's seat was slightly tapping her fingers against the steering wheel. while waiting for the traffic light turn to green. She thought about her condition to herself about being a good person to Jessica Jung for 24 hours. She wanted to end this awkward tension between them and so she thought of a nice yet vague way to compliment Jessica just to break the ice between them.

 

 

"Thank you for putting an effort tonight."

Jessica smiles. "I'm glad you appreciate it. Like I said before, I need to consider you everytime I make a decision right now."

"You look nice." She just says it directly- forgetting about being vague and general. "The dress suits you well."

"My mom would always tell me that I look the prettiest whenever I wear something in gold." She says, feeling happy when her crush just complimented her directly. "It's a good thing that Taeyeon-sshi bought this dress for- OH MY GOD!" She exclaims as the latter suddenly hits the break. "What's wrong?"

"Taeyeon bought you a dress?"

"Yes, she bought for me this afternoon."

"You went out with Taeyeon this afternoon?"

"No I just rested. She delievered it to my house and then she texted me."

"She has your number?" Jessica furrows her eyebrows in confusion but nods. "She knew her measurements?"

The blonde beauty thinks about it for a while. "Maybe Sunny told her my measurements?"

"Sunny?"

"Yeah, we were picking for each other during that dinner time with your friends." She was totally confused with all these questions coming from Yuri. "Why? Is there something wrong?"

Yuri bites her tongue from saying something sassy and looks away. "No. Nothing's wrong."

 

They arrived in a matter of time and it was no surprise as Jessica holds onto both the seatbelt and the grip tighter when Yuri zooms in through the traffic and subtly presses onto the break the moment that they reached her house. Stepping out of the passenger seat, Jessica was in total awe of the place. She has seen this familiar cream-colored mansion in various magazines she has bought for online just so she could get a glimpse on where Yuri grew up and formed her dream to be a singer.

 

 

"Miss Yuri you finally arrived." Their family butler greets her. "And this must be Miss Jessica Jung."

"Jessica this is Hwang Gun the most amazing person I have ever met." The butler chuckles and Jessica gives him a formal bow. "Hwang this is my girlfriend- Jessica Jung."

"My, my, my. The pictures online does not give you justice Miss Jung. Looking at you, you look like fine wine."

"T-t-thank you Hwang Gun." She says as tint of pink color swarmed on her cheeks.

"Hwang, can you please usher Jessica inside? I need to make an important call first."

"Most certainly. Come miss Jung, we shall wait for her at the entrance."

Yuri immediately dials a phone number and waited for 5 rings for the other person to answer. "Hello?"

"Listen, can you please stop buying my girlfriend a dress I can do that for her thank you very much. Good night Tae." She ends the call right away before the older woman could answer back.

 

She walks towards the house with a huge smile on her face but that one immediately disappeared the moment she entered the grand double doors. She heard children laughing from a distance, making her widen her eyes especially when Jessica wasn't around. She makes a little jog towards their main hall where the worst case scenario is happening right before her very eyes. Jessica Jung being attacked by her family relatives.


 

"Mother!" Yuri calls out as she arrives in the conversing circle.

"Ahh my gummy baby bear is here." Mrs. Kwon chimes making her daughter internally cringe.

"Why is everyone here? I thought we were going to have a family dinner." She whispers.

"Honey bunch this is a family dinner indeed. We are all here to celebrate your talent at hiding relationships!" She, along with Yuri's aunts laugh.

"Yuri-ah, she is such a sweetheart and she's very pretty too." One of her aunts compliments.

"She even dresses up nicely!"

"And! She's really aiming for Miss Korea! I like girls who are dream-driven and goal-oriented. That's a definite plus for me."

Yuri chuckles as she collects her stunned girlfriend away from them. "Alright ladies, let's stop harrassing her now."

"Now that everyone is here-" Mrs. Kwon clapped her hands together. "It's time for dinner! Kids will be on the second dining area and as for the adults, dinner will be served in the garden." She announces and everyone stood up and went to their assigned places. "Yuri, I'll be seeing you both there."

Her daughter nods at her before turning to check-up on the blonde beauty. "Are you alright? Did they asked something about our relationship?"

"N-no, just a few general questions that's all."

"That's good. Don't worry about later, I'll handle everything myself and all you have to do is to agree. Understood?" Jessica nods her head. "Let's go, we don't want them to wonder what's taking us so long."


"What took you guys so long?"

"Eyyy you know the drill samchon!" Soonyoung, one of Yuri's cousins says.

"Har, har har." Yuri mocks. "I was just making sure that the women in this family didn't harrassed her earlier."

"Harrassed? Now that's a strong word to use in family dinners Kwon Yuri." Kwon Chaewon innocently say.

"In this family? There is no such thing as strong word." She smirks back at her cousin as she pulls out a seat for Jessica and then sits beside her.

"Okay before we say grace and start this beautiful meal- I believe my daughter has an announcement to make."

"Dad, are you serious? Right now?" She whispers again for the second time. "Can't it wait 'til later?"

"Well it's not like we don't know it yet and it's the main reason why this family dinner is being held."

Yuri sighs and looks at all of their family members. "Everyone, I would like all of you to meet my girlfriend- Jessica Jung."

"Hello Jessica." They all greeted in unison making the highlight guest jump in her seat.

She stands up and gives a formal introduction to all of them. "H-hello, it's nice to meet all of you."

"Now the rabbit's out of the bag-" Mr. Kwon says and looks at everyone.

"Thank you for the meal!"

 

After jumping in her seat twice, Jessica picks up her chopsticks and start to enjoy the homemade meal that made her miss her mom's home cooked meals as well. She lets that linger for her mind and soon the memory drifts off as she feels the awkwardness between her and Yuri's family is long gone while they engaged in warm conversations and hearty laughters.

One of the reasons why she was so nervous was because Yuri's family is indeed a legacy. Her surname is known althroughout the country as they have been in the media industry for so many ages. From musicians, artists, actors and even newscasters she sure has a family member within the field which is why she was freaking inside her body. Almost all of their family members knew how to draw a line between real and fiction and she knows that one slip from her clumsy tongue- that will be the end of their act. She was thankful that the family members started off with the general and easy questions but that was probably to ease her tension.


 

"Jessica-sshi, would you like a glass of wine?"

Jessica subtly widens her eyes. "No thank you maam."

"A glass of wine is good for the body no?" She says. "Plus, all of us are wine lovers."

"Can I see the bottle?" She swallows the lump on as she accept the green bottle. "Ahhh, this is Malbac... Such a shame."

"Why? Is there something wrong with the wine choice for tonight?"

"Oh no there's nothing wrong. It's just that the academy's nutrionist told me not to take wines with high resveratrol content. Unfortunately, Malbec red wine has the highest."

"Is that so? Why would the nutrionist tell you that?"

"I just tore a muscle on my foot just recently from being in the high heels for too long. High dosage of reseveratol could slow down the muscle healing process. It's just for a month though so it's not much of a worry. Though the smell is very tempting." She smiles as she places the wine bottle back on the table.

"I didn't know that wines could slow down muscle healing."

"It doesn't mitigate ageing from oxidative stress and even hampers the repair cycle." Mrs. Kwon says. "Would you like another type of wine for tonight?"

"Oh no thank you Mrs. Kwon. The wine choice for tonight is indeed perfect for the food."

"Very well!" Kwon Sang Woo, Yuri's uncle clapsed his hands together. "It's time for Jessica to be in the hot seat!"

"Ooh ooh! I have one question!"

"Noona, where did you meet our cousin?"

Young Dok and Young Don, also known as the Kwon twins looked at one another. "Assa! You were reading my mind!" They say as they did a high-five.

"That's a nice question." Sang Woo says as she looks at Jessica. "And don't think we believe the cover up story in New York because we don't believe it one bit." The rest of the family nods their head in agreement.

"Well..." Jessica looks at Yuri who gives her an encouraging nod. "This is kind of embarassing."

"It's not really our Yuri if it doesn't involve something embarassing."

"We did meet in New York, only in a different circumstance." She starts. "My usual afternoons in the city would usually involve dropping at the Central Park but I knew it was hectic on the weekends so I took a detour and found myself going to Riverside park. I settled on one of the trees not knowing Yuri was on the opposite side. I still remember what you wore that day. You were wearing all black along with your signature leather jacket." She smiles as if she was recalling the memory. "It was a good amount of silence until I started to hear other things than the birds chirping and the calm sounds of the river."

"I understood Korean and when she hummed a few words I thought to myself how could someone write pain this much? And as I kept on listening, I thought that maybe they just need someone to talk to so I stood up, walked on the opposite side and greeted her- only to be snobbed." Jessica subtly rolls her eyes. "I didn't know she was someone big back here because I was never a fan of their band. I offered my hankerchief which she ignored and continue to play with her song. I return to my position after a minute of no response and maybe I thought she just didn't want to ruin her flow of inspiration. Little did I know- she was just being plain rude." She comments along with a subtle eye roll, making everyone laugh.

Yuri was surprise at the narration but immediately ride along with the blonde. "I was not being rude, you were."

"No I wasn't, I was just looking out for you."

"Nope, you were eavesdropping. I treasure my compositions so much-"

"I didn't know okay? I wasn't a fan. I don't even remembering seeing your face as I went through with my school." She defends. "And for your information- I saw the eye roll. You could basically see the front lobe of your brain, that's how rude you were."

"I rolled my eyes because you were invading my space."

"I was being a nice person."

"Okay, okay- stop with the argument." Her uncles intervenes. "Continue Jessica-sshi."

 

And so ther narration went on with how they always seem to meet there and even went into a full argument on Yuri should have this tree all by herself because she was the first one and Jessica arguing back that she doesn't own the place nor is she an American citizen to start with- unlike her. From then on the bantering minimized with Jessica being the bigger person and they actually became civil with one another. Then it moved onto how the artist was surprised that Jessica didn't know a thing about their band and how Jessica made Yuri feel that opening up to a stranger easy and so the romance begins from there.

And after four dates, Yuri had to go back to Korea completely dismayed of the fact that Jessica could be one of her flings and will never have the chance to meet once again. The communication continued and Yuri was surprised for the second time because Jessica never told her that she was studying in Seoul then to Jessica finally finding out that Yuri was actually an icon in the country as they decided to go out in the middle of the night to get ice cream.

The confession happened after 2 weeks of avoiding one another, one sudden visit to Jessica's unit and 3 more midnight dates and Jessica accepts it without second thoughts. It then proceeded with the sneaking out dates, Jessica being totally supportive of her art, being totally understanding of Yuri's lifestyle which lead them into a strong and well-founded relationship for two years. It was a  brief silence before Sang Woo nodding in understanding along with the rest of the family which made Jessica sigh internally in relief.

 

 

"But wait a second." Kwon Hyuk butts in. "If you don't mind me asking, which I will probably press on anyways- Why did you chose to stay with my cousin after finding out the truth? I mean, dating public figures like us is already something but dating someone like her who is an icon of the generation also means throwing everything you have." He looks at the blonde beauty. "You said so yourself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter