SIDE A | Track 3

Mix Tape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SIDE A: ACCIDENTALLY YOURS

"Jes?"

"Bathroom!"

"It's your turn to make breakfast today!"

"Hold up!"

Tiffany turns around when she hears Jessica's footsteps. "Whoa, wait a sec. Are you feeling okay?"

"A little dizzy but other than that I'm okay."

"You look so pale." She holds onto both of her friend's shoulder. "You sure you're alright?"

"Yep, just wait for a minute I'm gonna-" Jessica wasn't able to finish her sentence when she comes dashing to the bathroom, closing the door with a slam.


"Ughhh..." Jessica says lazily as she wipes her lips and notices Tiffany was still on the couch. "Don't you have work for today Tiff?"

"I called in sick."

"What? I was gonna do the same too. I don't think I could work."

"You've been like that for 3 weeks now I'm starting to get worried."

"Nah, this is probably nothing. I'm just-"

"Here." She hands her a plastic bag. "Go and try these."

"What are-" Her eyeballs were almost out of their sockets due to the shock. "TIFF! I'M NOT GONNA TRY THESE!"

"Just try okay! I'm getting nervous and I think it's because of it!"

"You don't think I'm-"

"I don't know. But I wanna be sure I am not some overthinking best friend so please get on with this?"

"OH MY GOD!"

"JESS WHAT-" Tiffany instantly covers after she releases a gasp.

"Tiff..."

The eyesmiling girl kneels down and looked at all of them before looking at her best friend. "We're gonna see the doctor now."


"Miss Jung, how long have you been experiencing morning sickness?"

"About 2 to 3 weeks now."

"Is it straight 2 weeks or does it happen every two to three times?"

"It's like three to four times a week."

"Do you feel dizzy without feeling the need to vomit?"

"Sometimes but it's rarely."

"Okay just wait here." The doctor stands up to feel Jessica's s. "Swollen s... Do you easily feel tired?"

"Yeah and I usually feel pain on my lower back."

The doctor nods her head before going back to her seat. "And how's your period schedule? On time or delayed?"

Jessica thinks about it for a while. "Come to think of it, I haven't had my schedule yet."

"Well Miss Jung, I think it's safe to say that you are 2 weeks pregnant."

 

 

 

 

"What?" Yuri says is disbelief. "You actually believe in these stories?"

"Not yet, I'm giving miss Jung the benefit of the doubt. I don't think she has the personality to fool any of us and she should know better."

The Hallyu star looks at her. "And you think I'm responsible for that?"

"You're the only one I slept with I swear."

"Are you sure?" Yuri walks closer to her. "Are you really sure that you didn't do it with someone else?"

"Yuri. Stop."

"Do you think I slept with someone else after you?"

"Well I don't know maybe you should ask yourself that or better yet- why don't you ask that Taecyeon guy to see if he drugged you again."

"Yuri I said stop, we can talk this in a calming manner."

"No Tae, you don't understand! This woman could be framing me up for something I didn't do!"

"But she could also be telling her the truth."

"She could've slept with someone so easy and still put the blame on me! And why did she appear to us after almost two months of not seeing each other after what happened that night!" She says frustratingly to her boss. "I'm not gonna accept it! She could be a con artist, a gold digger- hell her real name isn't probably Jessica Jung but some cheap name she doesn't want us to know!"

"Watch your mouth Yuri. I will not tolerate your attitude when you're being like that."

"Are you seriously defending her now Taeyeon?"

 

While Taeyeon and Yuri battle it out and continue to be at each others' throats, Jessica was silently sitting there, hearing all these accusations and negativity coming from the one person she'd least expect it to hear from and that really hurt her. Sure she might've gotten the memo that Yuri can be a little rude sometimes but she wasn't expecting for this kind of rudeness to be displayed upon her.

She hungs her head low, gripping hard until her knuckles turn into a lighter shade of her skin tone, holding everything in just not to cry in front of them- most especially crying in front of Yuri. She wanted to answer back and spat at the rockstar, but no. Instead, she chooses to understand the situation because it was harder than her part she had more to give up. So she bites her lower lip and doesn't say anything and just hopes that the argument would already be over and done.

 

 

"Enough." Taeyeon raises her voices making her artist close . "Clearly there's only one way to determine whether Miss Jung is telling us the truth or not. I'm going to have her undergo through the DNA test."

Yuri could only look at her boss with nothing but disbelief. "Are you really giving her the chance to fool us Taeyeon?"

"Our technology can provide us with that information now Yuri."

"But this woman can manipulate-"

"I'll choose the doctor, and I'll make sure I will be there along with Sunny with every step of the way."

Yuri scoffs and takes a brief look at Jessica. "Just unbelievable."

She leaves the places making Taeyeon sigh. "Aigoo... This is some major problem."

"I'm sorry for causing all of this Miss Kim. I just thought Yuri deserves to know."

"It's alright Miss Jung. I apologize in behalf of her."

"No need." She says in a timid smile. "She was just as surprised as I am."

"Indeed, we are all surprised with the news."

Jessica stands up. "I think it's my cue to leave now."

"Okay can we schedule your check up the day after tomorrow? I want Yuri to be sober when I'm gonna talk to her. Again, I apologize Miss Jung."

"No problem." She bows down to the CEO. "It's not like I was expecting her to jump around and welcome the news whole-heartedly anyways."

 

 

Taeyeon says nothing more and just gives her a timid smile. She leaves the office and the CEO goes back to her black leather swivel chair sighing for the umpteeth time as she starts to think of ways on how to sort this mess out.

While Taeyeon was massaging her temples, Yuri arrives at an underground Jazz lounge she was a regular at and wasted no time in ordering a shot of Whiskey on the rocks drinking it in one-go before ordering another one.

Now on her fifth glass as she continues to drink the news she just heard, she was already light-headed and leaning her head on the counter with eyes closed, grunting and mumbling incoherent words. She thinks of how stupid can she get for not totally remembering everything so she could slap the truth to Jessica's face that she did not gave her that child. She was sure that all of the positive things she thought about the girl was thrown out of the window and the only impression that's left is her being a gold digger and attention-seeker that could ruin her career at any given moment.

 

 

"Well, well, well... If it isn't the great Kwon Yuri."

Yuri manages to lift her head up and sees a familiar face. "Oh, hi Hyomin."

"It's been so long since the last time I saw you."

"We saw one another a month ago."

"Yeah but with this lifestyle, seeing each other after a month feels like years." She says. "Plus, I was talking about seeing you in (I)this state."

"Pfft, yeah you're right about that."

"Mind if I join you?" Yuri shakes her head. "Waiter? I'll have a martini."

"And another shot for me please." She says with her slurred tone.

The waiter hands them their drink and leaves them with their business. "So, what brings you here?"

The rockstar shrugs and takes a swig of her drink. "Just felt like going here."

"Usually you go here either you want to be drunk to shoo away thoughts or you're in some deep that I cannot know about."

"Why don't you take a guess?"

"The latter." Hyomin takes a sip of her drink. "Only because I've seen you in some deep in high school."


Hyomin and Yuri's friendship go way back even before the two of them step foot inside the entertainment industry. They've known each other early teens since they were both in the same circle of friends and they've bonded pretty close too to the point where people in their campus start to create some gossip about them being a thing and they did just because of peer pressure and the curiousity of trying. After a few months, they both ended it with a conclusion that they were just physically attracted to one another and continued on with their friendship.

Though moving on to their individual paths, they still remained in contact even after Hyomin trained for another entertainment company and ended up debuting an idol girl group that has been rocking up the charts. They've continued to run into one another in different awarding ceremonies but it was the first time after many years, especially since from the Juran issue she has seen Yuri in this kind of state once again.

 

 

"You know me so well huh."

"We dated for some time so I think I'm able to pick up a thing or two from you." That somehow eased up the latter as she chuckles on the statement. "Now tell me, what's going on with that brain of yours and how did you end up being in that situation?"

"Well I'm still not sure whether I ed up or not- but still I'm in some deep ."

"Care to explain?"

The tanned-skin Korean girl sighs. "Hyomin, what if you meet someone for one time and then somehow they show up to you weeks later telling you some unbelievable news?"

"Like what?"

"Just something unbelievable." She vaguely clarifies. "You don't want to believe it and you want to tell them that they're wrong but you can't provide them with enough proof to support your claim."

"Hmmm... That sounds interesting." Yuri looks at her friend who was tapping her chin with her index finger. "I think I'm gonna give this stranger the benefit of the doubt. Not because I want to give them the oppotunity to fool me, but because I can't runaway to a possible responsibility that I am about to have."

"But what if after being so invested into that thing- everything turns out to be a lie? Won't you make a complete fool out of yourself then?"

"Yes, but it's fine too. Atleast I know myself that I had the courage to take up for the responsibility I've made."

"But what if that's responsibility ends up changing your entire life? You're living the dream now Hyomin. Don't you think it's a bit too risky to put your trust into something you're really not sure of?"

"If it does change my life- then I will make sure it changes my life for the better." She says. "When you decide between two things, there's always a risk Kwon Yuri. It might scare you- but don't let it scare you too much that you will be afraid to change everything you have right now."

"So you're telling me that I should believe the stranger despite of all these uncertainties?"

"I'm telling you to believe in yourself and what your heart tells you to do."

 

 

Two days later Yuri drives to the address Taeyeon has sent her and she ends up in one of the top hospitals in the country. She goes out of the car she rented and heads straight to the fourth floor down to the ward her boss texted her as well where she finds the latter standing there with her bluetooth earplug and talking non-stop as she paces the hall from side to side. The tiny boss finally spares her a glance, who immediately ends her current conversation with an I'll see you later line.

 

 

"Hey, you can go inside and submit your sample."

"Hold on Taeyeon. How is this going to work? How are we gonna make sure that they don't switch my samples with mine?"

"She can't okay? The doctor is a very good friend of my family. She wouldn't dare to betray to us like that."

"How are they gonna prove-"

"They're gonna extract a sample and breakdown of the compouds from the fetus. From there, they're gonna compare that sample to yours. Now, can you get inside already? The least you could do is to cooperate. The sooner we end this, the better."

She doesn't say anything in return and complies to Taeyeon's word. She enters inside the laboratory room where she met the doctor's assistant who made her sit on the free space of the bed, where Jessica was silently lying down. While the assistant was busy with some paperwork, both of them gave one another brief glances before Yuri turns away and sits on the bed with her back facing the latter.

"Thank you." Jessica says with her small and delicate voice. "Even if all of this is against your own will."

Yuri internally debates whether she should answer back or not. "I just want this to be done so that you could disappear from my life." She turns her back to face Jessica who's facial expressions were still. "I can't wait to prove you wrong. And when that happens, I'm gonna end your life and whatever career you have for trying to bring me down to you."

She expected a sassy remark but Jessica managed to plaster a smile on her face. "Still- thank you."

"Excuse me? Can we get started already? I don't have all day." She says irritatingly, ignoring the feel of guilt in her system for being so insensitive.


"I have the results with me." Taeyeon sits down on the solo seat of her couch having Jessica and Yuri face one another. "So, you guys ready?"

"Just get this over with Tae okay? I need to head down to the recording room and-"


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"It's positive." Yuri widens her eyes along with Taeyeon who were staring back at her. "It's your child Yuri."

"No." The rockstar grabs the paper from the latter and re-reads the results one more time. "This can't be happening."

She then diverts her attention to the silent woman on her right. "Miss Jung, what do you want to do?"

"Are you seriously asking her over me? Shouldn't I be your priority since I AM YOUR ARTIST?"

"Again, Miss Jung what is your decision?"

"I've already decided that I'm gonna keep the baby."

"What?" Yuri turns her attention to the person in front of her. "Are you out of your mind? Do you know what that means?"

With a timid nod she looks back at Yuri. "I know."

"Then you do know that you're not just gonna destroy your career but as well as my career, which is the most important issue right now?"

"What do you suggest then Yuri?" Taeyeon asks her.

"I'm just saying- Jessica and I are not prepared to be parents! None of us wanted this to happen so I think it would be best for all of us if she could..." Yuri trails off and raising both of her shoulders as a form of a shrug. "Drop the baby?"

"W-w-what?" Jessica blinks away her surprised reaction. "You want this-"

"Oh c'mon Jessica! Don't act as if you want a child now! Letting go of that thing is the wisest-"

 

 

Both Taeyeon and Yuri was beyond shocked when Jessica suddenly stands up in the middle of Yuri panicked rant and launches her hand forward and feistily lands it on Yuri's left cheek. The tanned-skin woman snaps her head to Jessica and was ready to end her right there but she immediately loses all of that courage when she sees for the very first time Jessica's icy glare.

 

 

"You're right... Neither of us expected nor wanted this to happen. We're also not ready to be parents but it doesn't give us the right to end a life just because we don't feel like taking care of it now." 

"That thing barely has a life!" She says as she points her index finger on Jessica's womb.

"This thing is my child!" She screams back, sounding even more venomous. "I may not be ready, but I am sure as hell not going to walk from this responsibility." She stands up, facing Taeyeon. "Miss Kim, my decision is final. I will keep the baby with our without Yuri's consent."

Taeyeon looks at Jessica and sensed her determination. "I understand. Don't worry I respect your decision. You still need some time to rest so I'll have one of our drivers-"

"No thank you Miss Kim. I don't think I'm going to need someone from your company anymore." She then spares a glance on the woman who was still holding onto her cheek. "I should've listened to what others say about you. You're nothing but a cold-hearted rockstar who cannot move on from the past."

"Did you-" She gets halted by Taeyeon who gives her a warning look not to answer back.

 

 

She grabs her bag and heads straight the office making the room dead silent. Neither of the two said nothing for a few moments until Taeyeon sighs and slumps back on her seat as she covers up her face, trying to figure how to sort this kind of mess out.

 

 

"What the was that huh Yuri?"

"I was gonna ask you the same thing." She says. "Why did you stop me right there?"

"You've done enough damage."

"Enough damage?" She says unsurely. "And what about the damage she's about to do to me? Do you really expect me to jump around, throw a party and tell everyone that I found out I'm gonna have a baby?"

"No, but what I expect for you is to think like your age and not throw a tantrum like a kid!" She hisses. "You want her to abort the baby? Are you really serious about that?"

"I panicked!" She argues back. "And besides Tae, you and I both know that we're not-"

"I don't care Yuri! You shouldn't have said things like that!"

"Well a lot of thoughts coming through my mind. What if she will tell the public about this? What if she ends up bringing me down the drain too? I can't have that Taeyeon, I worked hard for everything I have right now."

"And she has worked so hard to be where she is right now. It's not only your career going down the drain Yuri..."

"I just still feel like she's going to dig my pocket. Plus! Why did she come to me after almost two months of not seeing one another? She could've-"

"If she was that kind of woman Kwon Yuri, why would she insist she'd keep the baby with or without your consent? Where's the threat that you'd be exposed of your scandal once you don't take part of the responsibility? And you know how Project Gabriel works... Symptoms doesn't until after one month. She came just in time."  Taeyeon looks at her. "You were also an unplanned baby Yuri. Think of what could've happened to you if your parents were as heartless as you were earlier."

"Look I know I-"

"Go. I need some time alone to think on how to make it up to Jessica." She says, not even sparing her artist a glance. "Maybe you should too."

 

 

Jessica arrives at the apartment ignoring Tiffany's calls as she heads towards her bedroom and slams the door shut. Tiffany, who was confused with her best friend's action, drops her glass on the kitchen counter before heading down to the latter's room and gives it a knock.

 

 

"Jes? Are you okay?"

"Not now Tiff!" The latter screams from the other side.

"Come on, open the door."

"No!"

"If you think that I'm gonna leave you all alone and think that it's just your pregnant hormones then no. I know you better than I know myself so please open the door."

After a few seconds of silence, the door opens. "Do you know you can be annoying sometimes?"

"Hey." Tiffany smiles as she places her hand of Jessica's shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"I just came from Yuri's agency."

"And?"

"The results were positive."

"And how did Yuri react?"

"Like how you said she would." The latter doesn't answer with words instead just gives her a nod. "She... She was worried about our careers specifically hers."

"Then?"

"She wanted me to abort the baby."

"She what?" Tiffany wides her eyes. "SHE WHAT?!"

"I know." She says softly as Yuri's words lingering her mind. "I try to understand and be the bigger part but I snapped and I slapped her."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter