Study

By My Side: Bonus Material

- March 3, 2010 -

“Okay…” Minho said, drawing out the word as he flipped over the next notecard. “What is the basic Banishing Charm?”

“Depulso!” Gil whispered, his eyes trailing after Madam Pince as she breezed past their study group for the third time. 

Kibum watched her go as well until the sound of Analecia answering another of Minho’s questions brought him back. It was just the four of them today—the other’s had Care of Magical Creatures to get to—and it was nice. Both he and Minho could relax more when they were with just Ana and Gil. 

He rested his chin on his palm, sighing a little as his gaze drifted over to Minho. 

Dust glittered in the beams of spring sunlight that shone through the tall windows. Minho was caught in one. The ends of his hair glowed golden. His cheekbone was highlighted by it, casting one side of his face in dramatic shadows unless he shook his hair out of his eyes. He probably wanted Analecia to cut it again, but Kibum liked it a little longer.

Minho’s eyes met his, and before Christmas, Kibum would have immediately looked away. But today, he kept staring. Studying him and the way his eyes looked like firewhisky when caught in the sunlight like this. Minho started to smile, and Kibum, unable to stop himself, did as well. 

“Oi!” Gil said harshly, and Kibum blinked, looking away from Minho and at the other two. “We’re trying to study here.” 

“So?” 

“Don’t act like you never did the same thing, Gil,” Analecia said with a chuckle. 

Kibum hid his grin behind his hand. “I do apologize, Gilbert.” 

“Oh, off with that. You’re not my mum.” 

Minho cleared his throat, clearly trying not to laugh. “Unfortunately, the N.E.W.T.s aren’t about our boyfriends—and girlfriend—” he added, glancing Gil’s way. “So we really should try to focus, right?” 

“Says the guy who’s exempt from taking them.” 

Minho raised his eyebrows at Kibum, whose grin started to peek out behind his hand. “I’m trying to help you guys.” 

“Stop being so distracting, then.” 

“Guys,” Ana said with a laugh. “Save the flirting for later.” 

Sighing heavily, Kibum let his hand drop to the table where he clasped it with his other. “Fine.” 

Smiling, Minho glanced back down at his notecards. “Uh, what does Carpe Retractum do?”