Found

By My Side: Bonus Material

- January 15, 2010 -

"Do you have Flying today?"

Minho's brow furrowed as he glanced up at Kibum, his gaze immediately darting to Slughorn as his back turned to inspect Chloe's brewing Memory Potion. He shook his head. "Hooch has the flu. Sprout told me."

Kibum blinked in surprise, but before he could respond, Slughorn turned back around. He immediately went back to mincing the rosemary leaves. "Why Sprout?" he whispered as Slughorn returned to his desk, straightening his hourglass.

Minho shrugged, dumped his rosemary into his cauldron, and gave it a few stirs before he went back to his notes. He set aside his long-handled spoon and turned the flame up, glancing back at Kibum. "Why do you ask?"

"I have Alchemy after this and I just realized that I left my wand in my nightstand drawer."

"What do I get in return if I get it for you?" he asked, smiling slowly as Kibum's eyebrow quirked up.

"What do you think?" Kibum's smile indented his cheeks and twinkled in his eyes as he looked about the room, and not for the first nor the last time during their years at Hogwarts was Minho grateful for being bilingual. Well, trilingual, if you could count the Latin.

"Do you want me to take your books back, too?"

As Kibum looked his way, Slughorn cleared his throat loudly, and they both went back to working on their potions, though Minho did steal the occasional peak at Kibum to make sure he was on the right track.

When the bell rang, they -- along with the others -- brought their sample vials up to Slughorn. "Mr. Kim," he said in his jovial, reedy voice. "Could you stay back again to help me clean up before the next class?"

Kibum cast Minho a look, as if he had been expecting the request. "Of course, sir," he said as he looked back to Slughorn.

Minho backed away from the desk, grabbing his and Kibum's textbooks on the way out. He let himself into Slytherin, dropping both of their books onto Kibum's bed before he opened the drawer.

The wand was right there, rolling to a stop as he stopped pulling on the drawer. But it wasn't what captured his attention. No, that was held but a crisp bit of folded parchment. With his name on it.

It was Kibum's handwriting -- because of course, who else's could it have been?

"Oh, Minho?" Fredrick said, startling Minho out of his daze. "What are you doing in here?"

Right, the wand. Kibum was waiting. He grabbed the wand, and after half a second of hesitation, he grabbed the letter too, stuffing it into his robe pocket. He held up the wand to Fredrick in explanation before he swept out of the room and back out into the corridor.

"Here," he said when he reached the classroom, his brow furrowing when he found Kibum carrying a heap of cauldrons. "Wingardium Leviosa," he said immediately, swishing Kibum's wand at cauldrons in his arms. They lifted and Kibum's shoulders slumped in relief. "Where do you want these?"

"I'll just take it," Kibum said, coming over to him. He went halfway up on his tiptoes, casually kissing Minho's cheek before he grabbed his wand and turned away. "Thanks, Min. Will you be in the library?"

Minho shook his head, glancing around the room with wide eyes. Sure, there was no one in the room right now, but the other students' voices echoed down the hall and Slughorn piped up as soon as Kibum stepped into the back room.

"Uh, no," he said as Kibum came back out. "I was thinking about going upstairs."

Kibum started to clear off the nearest workstation. "Okay, I'll join you soon, then."

"Yeah, okay."

He slipped upstairs quickly with the use of the secret room below the side stairs and let himself inside their study closet. Once he was settled comfortably in the nest of blankets against the back wall, Minho pulled out the letter and set it on his knee.

He knew what it was, of course. He didn't even need to open it. It was Kibum's letter to him that he intended to give to him to tell him how he felt. Fairly thin, with it only being one sheet of parchment, but then Kibum wouldn't be the type to be long-winded with this sort of thing.

Minho chuckled at the thought. No, his nerves would have kicked in and it would be short and sweet and very much to the point, just to get the awkwardness over with. Not that he could blame him. He had known that Kibum returned his feelings when he had finally spoken up, but his heart had still been pounding like crazy when they were dancing in the snow and after when they kissed for the first time.

Kibum just had that effect on him, though.

Sighing, he picked up the letter, inspecting it further without opening it. Every part of him was yearning to open it. Every single one, except for the nagging voice in the back of his mind that reminded him that Kibum didn't want him to read it. Gingerly, he set it back down on his knee, but he didn't look away from it. Not for a long time. Would he be upset if he found out that he had read it? He had been so adamant about him not reading it...he probably would be…

He knew he should go put it back exactly where he found it, but he couldn’t seem to make himself get up. His curiosity was too strong to let him, despite knowing that it would be the best thing for him to do. The last thing he wanted was for Kibum to be upset with him for impulsive giving into his curiosity...No, he shouldn’t read it. Not without Kibum’s consent.

By the time he finally pushed himself up to head back downstairs, the door to the closet creaked open, revealing Kibum. He froze, wide-eyed, as Kibum met his eyes with a smile, only to drop down to the letter in his hand. “What’s that?” he asked, but as he stepped closer, realization dawned in his eyes and his expression fell. “You read it?” he asked, his voice flat with disappointment.

“N-no,” he said, cringing at how much it sounded like a lie.

“Why do you have it, then?”

“I found it in the...your drawer. But...but I didn’t read it. I was just curious, so I took it. But I swear I didn’t.” Finally, Kibum settled beside him, his gaze still trained on the letter on Minho’s knee. “I’m sorry, Bummie.”

"Don't be. I'd probably be curious as well, if I were you." He tentatively looked up at Minho before his gaze fell pointedly away and he fiddled with the hem of his robes. "It's just embarrassing, that's all."

Minho's arm slipped around Kibum's waist, pulling him closer still, and he gave him a small smile that he didn't see. "It's okay, Bum. I don't have to read it."

"No. You should. Just don't make fun of me."

"When have I ever done that?" Minho cracked up and Kibum finally looked up at him again, his eyes twinkling in amusement. Minho leaned closer, his eyes sliding closed as Kibum met him halfway, giving him a quick kiss. "Are you sure?"

Kibum kissed him again before he pulled away to nod. His chin rested on Minho's shoulder as he opened the letter, no doubt scanning its contents before he buried his face in the crook of Minho's neck. Minho turned, kissing the crown of Kibum's head before he started to read.

To my Minho,

I know this is probably really weird, but this has been a long time coming, so please, hear me out.

I like you. Like, a lot. Always have, and I think I always will. I wasn’t expecting you to impact my life as much as you did. But you did, and I’m grateful to you for that. Your genuine kindness, your sweet nature, everything, really, about you has made it difficult for me to not fall for you. You didn’t really give me a choice there, if we’re being honest. You’re so easy to love and you make me feel loveable, which really is quite a feat in and of itself.

I’m not making any sense. Sorry.

I hope this isn’t awkward for you to hear, but I needed to say it. If I made you uncomfortable, I’m sorry. Honesty is the best policy, as they say.

Forever yours,
Kibum

He read it twice through before he folded it neatly, smoothing it gently over his knee. If it were physically possible, he probably would have melted into a puddle on the floor. He could understand why Kibum had been embarrassed, though he found nothing at all embarrassing about the letter. It was honest, like he said. And being so open and honest with your feelings after years and years of silence was bound to be embarrassing.

He rested his cheek against Kibum's head until he shifted to sit up. Kibum's nervous gaze searched Minho's, who could only smile and reach for Kibum's hand. He interlaced their fingers before he brought Kibum's hand up to his lips so he could kiss the back of it. "Can I keep it?"

"Why would you want to?"

"Because it's sweet," he said, scooting forward a little so he could kiss Kibum's cheek. "And thoughtful." Then his other cheek, which was now dimpled. "And really," he added, smiling when Kibum's gaze slipped down to his lips. "Really cute."

"Yeah?"

Minho barely nodded before Kibum was kissing him, both smiling contentedly as Minho's arms slipped around Kibum's waist. It was several minutes before they parted, and a little longer still until Minho opened his eyes.

In terms of his favorite pastimes, kissing Kibum far surpassed flying. It was more exciting, more electrifying...it didn't even compare anymore, if he were being honest with himself.

"You can," Kibum said out of nowhere, which started a furrow in Minho's brow that Kibum kissed away with a chuckle. "You can keep the letter, if you really want to."

"I do."