Tethered

By My Side: Bonus Material

- November 22, 2018 -

The boys were gone in a blink of an eye, and Kimee turned, smiling at Bumji as she drew nearer.

"You did a great job with him, Kimee," Bumji said, his expression fond as he glanced past her to the place Kibum and Minho had disappeared from.

"I did, didn't I?" He smirked, eyes twinkling faintly as he returned his attention to her. "What did he want to talk to you about?" she asked, her hand passing through his. Even through the glove, it felt like her hand had been dipped into icy water.

"Something about regretting having him?" Kimee frowned. "I think he's thinking about having kids?"

Her eyebrows shot up. "Oh?" What a fascinating development. But it wasn't the time to get her hopes up. Not when they already were at their peak.

"Was he not planning on it before?" Bumji asked as she slipped her wand out of her purse.

"We can talk about it later." She tugged at the fingers of her left glove, pulling it off. "Are you ready?"

He nodded hesitantly, watching her slip her wedding ring off. "Are you sure it'll work?"

"Fairly sure." His brow furrowed slightly in concern, his glasses slipping down the bridge of his nose. She smiled as he pushed them back up. "If it doesn't, I'll come right back and stay until we figure it out. I promise."

He started to smile. Just a little upturn of the corner of his lips. The dimple that Kibum inherited indented his cheek. "What do you need me to do?"

"Hold on." Kimee set her wedding ring in her palm, presenting her hand to him. "Place your hand over mine. No, all the way on. Cover the ring." He obeyed her words, his cold, dark eyes meeting hers when she looked up at him again. She stuck her wand through his hand, pressing the tip of it against the metal. "Can you feel that?"

He shook his head with a laugh. "It doesn't even tickle."

"Huh, okay." She cleared , returning her attention to the ring. She recited the incantation she had found in the books she had brought with her in her mind, making herself sure of the syllables before she whispered, "Petulan spiritus!"

Nothing happened.

She blinked, looking up at him. "Try to move away."

Reluctantly, he did, his hand lifting from hers, eventually taking the ring with him on a thin tendril of ghostly white mist. She gasped, watching it hover in midair before she looked up at Bumji. "If it works," he said, still staring at the ring. "Will you tell them right away?"

She shook her head, and he met her gaze again. "We'll all have to resettle into our lives. I'll give them a few days," she said as she stepped forward, slipping the ring back into its place on her finger. "Are you ready?"

Bumji settled by her side, tethered as he was now to her ring, and nodded. She dug into her purse again, bringing out the coffee mug she had turned into a portkey at home. "Portus!"

It glowed blue, and she was yanked back home to Nottingham.

As soon as her feet were back on solid ground, she opened her eyes, turning immediately to her side.

To Bumji.

It had worked.

She grinned up at him, wishing more than anything that she could hug him, kiss him like she used to. But this, after so long, was more than she could have ever hoped for. She went up on her tiptoes, kissing the air where his transparent cheek was, a chill frosting over her lips.

"Welcome home, my darling."