Swollen

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 17, 2005 -

Raindrops fell from the night sky, stopping just above the flames of the hovering candles. The scraping of forks and knives and excited chatter surrounded Minho as he worked on finishing his dinner. He reached for the last dinner roll on the plate before him and his dormmates, and as he bit into it, the plate refilled itself.

“All I’m saying is, if you’re gonna be a professor, then you shouldn’t -- “

“Hey,” Minho said as he swallowed his mouthful. The other five looked at him curiously. “Do you think these plates are really bottomless?” 

“What do you mean?” 

He glanced up at Travis before he took another roll. “Like, they refill themselves. Do you think there’d be a point where they...don’t?”

“Let’s find out!” Seb grabbed the plate, dumping it out on the table. Marvin caught one that almost bounced off and fell onto the floor while Gilbert cleared a space for Seb to set the plate back down. Within seconds, the plate refilled again, steam curling off of them. 

Eli grabbed one of the fresh ones with a grin. “Do it again!” So he did, again, and again, and the plate refilled every time. Rolls were piled almost at their eye level now. Seb was about to do it again until Travis glanced down the table and pulled his arm back. 

All six of them turned to see Sydney Blanchard, their Prefect and Head Girl, snapping her fingers to get their attention. They all shrunk back as she glared at them. “Stop.” Gilbert nervously cracked up, the others starting to giggle as well. “You all better ing behave.” Minho pursed his lips, doing his best to sober up, and she turned back to her friend, rolling her eyes, and continued to eat her dinner.

Minho stared at the mess of rolls around them. A couple rolled off onto the bench and floor when Gilbert moved his arm. “Well, now what do we do?”

Travis grabbed two, stuffing them into his pockets. “At least we didn’t try this with the mashed potatoes.” They all started forcing as many dinner rolls as they could into their robe pockets and passing them down the table until there were none left. “It that we still don’t know,” he said as they started to get up from the table to leave the Great Hall.

“There’s always tomorrow, my friend,” Seb said, clapping his hand on Travis’ back. Minho followed them out, glancing over at Slytherin to see Kibum standing. He hung back at the doorway, watching the others head downstairs as he waited for Kibum to join him.

“Hey!”

“Hi.” Kibum gave him an incredulous look, pointing at his swollen pockets. “What the hell?”

“Oh,” Minho snorted, pulling out one of the rolls and passing it to Kibum as they started heading upstairs. “We were conducting an experiment.”

“Well, that explains the commotion.” He squished the roll, tearing off a chunk and smiling at Minho. “At least we’ll have snacks for studying for a while.”