Expensive

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 22, 2005 -

Saturday mornings were the best kind of lazy, especially when Minho didn’t have to get ready for Quidditch practice as soon as he opened his eyes. Meg told the team last night that she and Richard, Ravenclaw’s captain, agreed to switch the times that they had the pitch to themselves. 

It was almost noon by the time Minho crawled out of bed, and he slipped into his hoodie on his way out of his dorm, not even bothering to change out of his pajamas. The smell wafting into the common room from the kitchen was like a siren’s call to his growling stomach.

Food. He needed food. 

He passed several other people who were still in their pajamas on his way up to the Great Hall, which was mostly emptied out now. Flitwick was standing at the base of the dais, shuffling through papers that Minho assumed to be sheet music. He glanced around at the sparsely populated dining hall, finding Kibum sitting beside Geoffry and Stacy from Ravenclaw. 

Kibum waved him over, smirking as he looked him up and down. “Did you just wake up?”

“Maybe. What about it?” A plate of toast and eggs, fried sausages and potatoes and mushrooms, and a bowl of sliced peaches appeared before Minho as he sat beside Kibum. He slid the bowl of peaches towards him and started to eat. “How’d you sleep?” he asked between bites.

“Not bad. Oh, hey,” Minho looked up, wiping the juice from the peaches off his lips, as Kibum turned to grab something from his other side. “Geum-nan dropped this off for you and Gilbert brought it over to me.” He pulled out a cardboard box with postage taped to the top. 

Minho took another bite before he pulled it over, his eyebrows shooting up. “That’s Minseok’s writing!”

His fork fell onto his plate as he ripped open the package, finding that the box was filled to the brim with Halloween candy. In the side, a note was tucked. Minho unwrapped two mini Reese’s cups and popped them into his mouth, motioning for Kibum to go ahead and take some if he wanted before he grabbed the note.

Don’t tell Mom and Dad, but I saved up my allowance and bought you this , because I don’t know if you get Halloween candy there. Also, I don’t know how long it takes for stuff to get to you so I’m sending this a little early. 

Hope you have a happy Halloween!

Your totally awesome and cool older brother

Minho snorted, rolling his eyes as he tucked the note into his hoodie pocket, and looked up to find Kibum unraveling a purple Hershey’s kiss. “This must have been so expensive.”

“You think so?” Minho nodded, and Kibum dug around, pulling out an orange wrapped Reese’s cup. “Are these good?”

“Oh my god, yes.”

At the front of the Great Hall, Flitwick tapped his wand. “Alright, everyone, gather at the front!” 

Kibum dropped the Reese’s cup in the box, patting Minho’s shoulder. “See you later, buddy,” he said before he hurried to his place in the Frog Choir. 

Flitwick started talking about what they went over last practice. Every time Kibum glanced Minho’s way, he made a funny face. He grinned when Kibum almost cracked up, but stopped annoying him once they music started playing. Instead, he went back to eating as he listened to them sing. If he closed his eyes, he was able to pick Kibum’s voice out of everyone else’s.

He sounded really nice.