Cruel

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 11, 2005 -

A chill blew through Kibum as one of the Ravenclaw Beaters zoomed past the stands, carrying the autumn breeze on their back. Shivering, he shoved his hands into Minho’s sweatshirt pockets and leaned forward to check his position in the air.

Yep, still hadn’t moved, and neither had Ravenclaw’s Seeker.

Even at this distance, Kibum could see the slump in Minho’s shoulders as the watched the game play out before him. He pretended not to care about the game now, but Kibum knew better than to believe that. In practice, Minho’s ability to locate and catch the painted walnuts was amazing. He was...so good at it, but every time Kibum tried to tell him so, he brushed it off, smiling shyly and changing the subject. His confidence had been dashed too much for him to believe it himself.

Across the pitch, Minho flew forward, circling around high above the play. Kibum took his hands out of the sweatshirt pocket and cupped them around his mouth. “You’ve got this, Choi!”

Beside him, Aaron scoffed. “It’s not like he can hear you.”

“So?” Kibum blew some warmth into his fingers before he stuffed his hands back in the pocket. “I’ll still cheer whether he can or not.”

Callum rolled his eyes. “Yeah, because it really helps.” He looked over at Kibum, freezing in place when he saw the look in his eyes. “I didn’t mean it like th -- “ he shut up when Kibum clenched his jaw. 

“There’s no need to be cruel. Also, you don’t have to come to games with me if you don’t want to.”

“I -- we do!”

Kibum looked back at the game, just in time to see Ravenclaw celebrating their win. He sighed, watching Minho’s descent. Once he was safely on the ground, Kibum stood, stepping down the stands on his way downstairs, and left Callum and Aaron behind. 

He stepped out of the wind and into the Hufflepuff tunnel as the team was filing inside the locker room. Minho spotted him just as he was about to head inside and he hung his head before closing the door behind him. Kibum still made his way over to the locker room, leaning against the wall as he waited for them to leave. It didn’t take long for them to change back into their school clothes, and Minho was the first one out the door.

He offered Kibum a tired smile, any light behind his eyes gone. “Hey.”

Kibum had been about to answer but held his tongue as the other players passed by, all of them patting Minho’s back. “You okay?” Kibum asked once the last of them left the hall. Minho simply shrugged. “Wanna talk about it?” Gulping, he shook his head. “Okay.” 

When Minho started for the exit, Kibum threw his arm over his shoulder, holding him close as they started to walk. “You know...”

“Hmm?”

“Once you win your first game, you’re gonna need to be prepared.”

Minho frowned, his bottom lip jutting out in a sort-of pout. “For what?”

“I don’t know yet! But it’ll be good. I’ll think of something.”

“You probably won’t have to.” Kibum pinched his shoulder. “Ow, hey!” Minho did his best impression of a glare as they stepped onto the lawn, and Kibum dropped his arm.

“Look, hey, look at me.” Sighing, Minho met Kibum’s eyes. “I know you don’t believe in yourself right now, and, like, I get that, but that doesn’t mean I don’t, okay?” He poked Minho’s stomach, who pushed Kibum’s finger away. 

“Okay.”

“Now...let’s go eat the rest of the Grandma sent me.”

“All of it?” Minho asked, a little glimmer returning to his eyes.

Kibum grinned. “Why not? Hey!” Huffing, he ran after Minho, who was dashing across the lawn back to the castle.