Slice

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 31, 2005 -

The excited chatter of the Hufflepuffs carried all throughout the Great Hall, even over the din of the other tables. Kibum smiled at the sound, cutting off a bite of his pumpkin spice cake. He was excited for them -- well, Minho mostly, of course. It meant a lot to him to win that Quidditch game, more than a lot, and Kibum could only imagine the weight that was lifted off of Minho’s shoulders and the utter relief he must be feeling right now.

Kibum glanced across the Great Hall to where Minho usually sat, finding it empty. He sighed, and went back to eating his cake. 

It didn’t seem fair that Minho was stuck in the infirmary, probably listening to the Halloween feast and wishing he could join in. Kibum his fork clean of the cream cheese frosting once he finished his cake, looking back across the Great Hall. After a second of thought, Kibum grabbed a new for and another slice of cake, pushing away from the table. 

“I’ll see you guys later.” 

Analecia and Aaron nodded and Callum waved at him as he left the table. He headed down the torch-lit corridor to the infirmary, cautiously stepping inside. Minho was the only one inside, eating his own personal Halloween feast. Surround him were bags and packages from Hogsmeade, presumably bought for him by his teammates. 

Kibum stopped a couple strides inside, feeling sort of stupid standing there with his plate of cake for Minho. But then, Minho looked up, his smile bright when he saw Kibum. “Hey! How’s the feast?”

“It’s as good as it is every year,” he said as he went over Minho’s bed, sitting on the side. “Thought you might like some cake.”

Minho set his almost-empty plate of food down on the side table. “That is the one thing Pomfrey didn’t bring me.” Kibum chuckled, handing the cake to Minho.

“How are you feeling, buddy?”

“Good,” Minho said around his mouthful of cake. “Really good.”

“What about your ankle?”

“It hurts a bit, but...I don’t know, I feel like it’s worth it. I’m just sorry you couldn’t go to Hogsmeade today. I know you were re -- “

“Minho.” He took a deep breath, relaxing into his pillow. “Don’t feel bad. It’s not like this was our one chance to go.”

He nodded, cutting off another bite of cake. “I know.”

“Besides, there’s gonna be another trip this Saturday.” Minho’s eyebrows shot up as he wiped a bit of frosting off his lip, and Kibum grabbed one of the packages from Hogsmeade. “Based off what they got you, where do you think we should go first?”

“Zonko’s! Oh, wait, maybe Honeydukes!”